Larian Studios
Posted By: Otaku Hanzo Loremaster needs hotkey? - 07/03/14 05:42 PM
I don't see Loremaster working. My Survivor has it at 2 and I got a Robe that said I needed 1 but it's still unidentified. I tried various keys but nothing. I miss something?
Posted By: rainy nights Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 07/03/14 05:51 PM
Same here, I do not understand how it works :|
Posted By: Von_Rotten Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 07/03/14 06:02 PM
Loremaster is unidentified. rpg006

But on the latest update vid, there was an item that was clicked then unidentified item was clicked, so i'm guessing you need the skill and an item.

Have not had time to play much with it myself yet though.
Posted By: Otaku Hanzo Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 07/03/14 06:15 PM
I tried a lot of different combinations. CTRL-click, right click, ALT, I, etc. And still, nothing.
Posted By: Tekray Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 07/03/14 09:48 PM
In the market the potion seller has an 'Identifying Glass' needed to identify equipment.
Posted By: Otaku Hanzo Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 07/03/14 10:31 PM
Yeah. Already raised my gripes about that in another thread.
Posted By: YoungFreshNewbie Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 08/03/14 07:22 AM
I don't see what there is to gripe about. It makes sense that it requires an economic investment at the beginning to save oneself money later. It would normally cost a few hundred every identification.

I could definitely see that it would help if it said "Requires: Identifying Glass, Loremaster X" though. It should probably say that, actually.
Posted By: Otaku Hanzo Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 08/03/14 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by YoungFreshNewbie
I could definitely see that it would help if it said "Requires: Identifying Glass, Loremaster X" though. It should probably say that, actually.

And that was my gripe. Not informing players. I stated in the other thread I didn't have a problem needing an item, but had a problem with them not informing us. Also, I suggested when a character starts the game with a rank in Loremaster (Survivor) that they should start with the item in their inventory. It just makes sense.
Posted By: meme Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 08/03/14 01:37 PM
Well I'm mixed here; This is not the first game I've played where you need to learn a spell or buy an item to identify items yourself. I can see how it is very non-intuitive but it is also not game breaking.
-
At what point should you tell players everything and at what point should the player be discovering things on their own ?
-
With regards to Otaku comment; his suggestion makes sense to him but I'm not sure I agree - these things are not absolute. I don't know factually because I haven't yet played this update but I presume that the item in question HELPs you identify items (i.e, dependent on stats and skills you can identify harder items but not necessarily all items) and therefore I very much disagree with his assertion that you should start with the item.
-
I think I tend to draw the line on what should be given the player (as oppose to what they should have a chance to learn on their own) is dependent on where that 'thing' is along the slider of game breaking (the more minor the less hint).
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 08/03/14 02:40 PM
Changing the mechanic to require Loremaster and an item is fine. Not giving the player any idea why they can't identify items with Loremaster is not. That's not "letting the player discover for themself", that's just needlessly confusing them. By all means, make them have to find an Identifying Glass for themselves, but the player should at least know that they need one, and that the skill is not broken.
Posted By: Elwyn Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 08/03/14 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Changing the mechanic to require Loremaster and an item is fine. Not giving the player any idea why they can't identify items with Loremaster is not. That's not "letting the player discover for themself", that's just needlessly confusing them. By all means, make them have to find an Identifying Glass for themselves, but the player should at least know that they need one, and that the skill is not broken.

+1
Posted By: Otaku Hanzo Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 08/03/14 03:37 PM
What Stabbey said.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Loremaster needs hotkey? - 09/03/14 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I completely agree with that. If you don't want to put it on the unidentified item's tooltip, then one of those tip dialogue boxes the game uses should pop up the first time the player loots an unidentified item.

"You've found an unidentified item! To discover the full potential of this item you need to bring it to an NPC and pay for identification, OR have the required rank of Loremaster and a magnifying glass (which you can pick up from certain merchants)."

Or something along those lines. And before someone goes off on how players need hand holding these days, I'll remind you that in the past when games like this were frequently being made they came with manuals - nice thick manuals where topics like "identifying items" would get their own detailed chapter/page, with pictures to boot.
© Larian Studios forums