Larian Studios
Posted By: Adel Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 08/03/14 06:46 AM
A friend and I got the Divinity beta a while ago and while we love the game the idea of playing the same area over and over is starting to get a little old.

I realize this is still a beta and as such this is not a complaint as much as a question about the future of saves. Will saves continue to be corrupted between major updates all the way up to the release or will there ever come a time when they will carry over between versions?

Mostly I ask because we found the updates came out so frequently that we didn't have time to actually get to a new location before they released a major update again and as such stopped to see if it would get better with time.

It's been a few updates since and I wonder if this is still an issue? smile
Posted By: Texoru Re: Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 08/03/14 06:52 AM
The next update they will unlock the new area and my last saves wasn't corrupted on this update (I haven't load them but it did not show the warning "Corrupt save file", though I have deleted them as I always like to test the game again from the beginning for each update they do.
Posted By: Chubby Re: Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 08/03/14 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Adel
I realize this is still a beta and as such this is not a complaint as much as a question about the future of saves. Will saves continue to be corrupted between major updates all the way up to the release or will there ever come a time when they will carry over between versions?

It's actually alpha. In beta there might be more hope for save games carrying over.
Posted By: Adel Re: Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 08/03/14 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Chubby
Originally Posted by Adel

It's actually alpha. In beta there might be more hope for save games carrying over.

Small typo! I did mean alpha but I wrote beta by well. Not sure why. Habbit I guess. At any rate I think we will hold back to the next big patch at least and see if saves are still corrupted then and perhaps give it a try when the new area comes out.
Posted By: Lotrotk Re: Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 08/03/14 01:16 PM
Larian made very clear from the beginning (launch alpha) that savegames between updates are not supported. It's quite impossible to do so ... this isn't the final product where only small fixes are added, sometimes the environment, quests, items, characters, ... change radically. Even with completed games it occured that a patch implied previous savegames would be incompatible.

So far I went through the alpha twice ... just one lost savegame, not too frustrating.
Posted By: Adel Re: Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 08/03/14 04:26 PM
No comparability between versions at release would be awful. Not everyone has time or is willing to replay long periods of gameplay because the studio released a new patch, especially not when Steam tend to keep games up to date no matter what.

Now as I said we are patient and willing to wait however the updates of late seems to hint that we are getting closer to release and as such I was simply curious if there been word about when the final builds might come so there is no need to be all preachy about it.
At this stage this doesn't bother me at all. Because I already know most of the quests and what to do in which order, I can finish the game in under 10 hours. It would be dumb if our saves would still work, because it changed so much, for example you get less experience now. For me the alpha is just there to test things out, difficulty, AI, stat system etc.
Posted By: Tekray Re: Corrupt saves ruin the experiance a bit. - 10/03/14 11:26 PM
If you don't want the game to update then turn off the steam auto-update. Then you can play your save games on an old build to finish it. Just don't post bugs because your version would be out of date.
© Larian Studios forums