Larian Studios
Posted By: apoc_reg AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 01:56 PM
My main issue with combat which in general I'm enjoying has to be the amount of AP it uses to move characters around. I often have a feeling of being locked in place with my characters because if I move at all I cant even do a basic action as well. Then the most basic archer in their ranks feels very over powered as I have usually a melee character to deal with too.

I know I'm probably just quite bad at the game (not a big turn based person) but I do feel more generous movement would help!
Posted By: Minchi1983 Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 02:22 PM
Its not really because if you spend skill points in one attributes for main stats u should have one that increases your AP and the one that makes ya move faster...

Maybe its just too extreme...I was hoping that we can get AP increases through Lvling up so it can make the battles more complex though o.o;;;
Posted By: Hiver Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 02:35 PM
Movement is way too generous in this game. Its just that you need to invest more points into speed and constitution to have more APs available. Though dexterity and strength play a role too, when it comes to AP costs of weapons and specific abilities.

When you level up a few times and invest points appropriately for the builds (types of characters) you chose things will become much better. Choosing the right kind of weapon also plays a role.

Posted By: Zeri Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 02:36 PM
movement is fine. if you play a warrior in crazy heavy armor you'll be slow as dirt. if you play a rogue in cloth/leather ermor you'll be fast as hell. add the haste spells on top and it's fine.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 03:30 PM
I also think movement is okay as is. Points into the Speed stat increase how much movement you get per point of AP, and the improvement is quite noticeable. Figuring out how to move most efficiently, and deciding whether to move now, delay your turn to the end of the round, and see if the enemies move to you first, or to skip the turn to save the AP so you can move and attack is a pretty big part of the tactical considerations you need to make.
Posted By: Ohriman Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 03:55 PM
I really only felt that at the very beginning, once i had put a couple of points into speed my characters could get wherever they needed without issue. The warrior rushes and the rogue/ranger leap also makes repositioning pretty easy.
Posted By: pts Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 12/05/14 05:24 PM
Way of the warror has two skillbooks that allow you to move quite far and also attack everything in your path (same long distance, no matter how slow you are). Rogues and Rangers move fast, anyway. The only class that is somewhat immobile is mage (but thats mainly because their spells AP doesn't decrease with ability score like the other skills).
Posted By: Gnoster Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 13/05/14 05:31 AM
I think movement is fine. At first i had major problems with my warriors and was of the same opinion as the OP, but then I discovered that crafting can negate the movement penalty on heavy armor; drag it to the anvil and I have seen an armor with -0.38 movement beturned into an armor with +0.10, huge advantage suddenly.
Posted By: NeutroniumDragon Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 13/05/14 12:45 PM
Speed increases on armor (and sometimes on other gear) do make a big difference, but the game doesn't really highlight this issue at any point during the introduction/tutorial. You MIGHT see something about it in a book, but that's not a given, and you certainly won't see it right away.

I wonder if the starter armor for both PCs could come pre-smithed? The "orders" note could then also include a line about it ("...has been custom fitted..."), which would point the player to what they need to do once they start swapping to new pieces.
Posted By: apoc_reg Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 14/05/14 09:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, think I just need to learn more on how the stats effect AP etc.
Posted By: Hiver Re: AP for movement too harsh? - 14/05/14 09:26 PM
Just open the character screen and you can see all attributes and skills. When you mouse over them they display the description of what they do. Its all pretty straightforward and simple.

© Larian Studios forums