Larian Studios
Posted By: Blinddagger95 Save overwrites - 14/06/14 01:14 PM
One major feature that would be nice is to have separate saves for characters. This game relies heavily on quicksaves to be playable, so I would like to not over-write my single player game's quicksaves and autosaves when I play with my friend. I think this relatively minor change would be a huge usability boost to the game.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Save overwrites - 14/06/14 01:49 PM
So don't? suspicion

There are separate profiles you can use which keep entirely different separate sets of saved games, with no risk of overwriting. If you want to play your game as partly single-player and partly multiplayer, you can also do a manual save in a new slot. Quicksaves will not overwrite named slots.

The game already provides what you need, no changes are required.
Posted By: Beyond Re: Save overwrites - 14/06/14 02:05 PM
Actually I think this can be easily fixed by not allowing to do "New Game" on an existing profile, making it one profile = one party.

Since you can create multiple profiles, I don't really see the point in starting several games using the same one.
Posted By: Blinddagger95 Re: Save overwrites - 14/06/14 02:59 PM
Stabbey, I can't help but notice a sort of "how dare you think the game could use polish" viewpoint in many of your posts. I'm just trying to make it seamlessly user-friendly rather than something you need to actively do. The profiles solution is great, I hadn't thought of just making a new profile.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Save overwrites - 14/06/14 04:39 PM
Sorry. Don't get snippy with me just because I informed you that what you want already exists. I am actually trying to help.

When I host a co-op game, I make a manual save at the start and the end of the session. If I do that, then after the co-op is done, I could re-load to before the player joined and continue on my way, and if the guy wants to pick up where we left off, I could make a manual save of my single-player progress and load the end-of-coop-session one.

If I wanted to get really fancy, then I could take two minutes before starting the co-op session and make a second profile and copy the first profile's saves into it. If you make frequent manual saves, keeping old quick and auto-saves is less important.

I suppose they could add a "save to profile..." option in the save menu.
Posted By: Blinddagger95 Re: Save overwrites - 19/06/14 01:13 AM
See your own emoticon-enriched snippyness above. Chronologically, I got snippy not "just because" of your help but because you did it first. Perhaps try looking at your own phrasing next time?
Posted By: crpgnut Re: Save overwrites - 19/06/14 01:42 AM
You will find a great many of the "mega-posters" assume their opinion and comments are more valid than those who have lives outside of the forum. I really don't find Stabbey to be one of these though. I lurk a lot and Stabbey is pretty reasonable most of the time. I agree the "So don't?" suspicion smiley was unneeded. Everything after that was pure Stabbey. The information he gave was valid. Forgive and forget and move on?
Posted By: Gyson Re: Save overwrites - 19/06/14 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by Beyond
Actually I think this can be easily fixed by not allowing to do "New Game" on an existing profile, making it one profile = one party.

Since you can create multiple profiles, I don't really see the point in starting several games using the same one.

I don't know about that. Profiles are also good if you have family members playing the game (at different times) on the same computer. "Dad's Game, Mom's Game, Timmy's Game" etc. Each making a new profile for each new game would get pretty cluttered quickly.

I just wish co-op saves were stored to each player's machine. Manually transferring them to each other is a bit of a pain.
© Larian Studios forums