Larian Studios
Posted By: Romus5 Spells and abilities requiring components - 22/10/14 05:41 PM
I would love it if someone could do this.

To summon a skeleton, a magic human skull is required and is used up.

To summon a Fire Elemental, iron ore and a candle is required, the iron ore is used up.

To summon an Ice Elemental a bucket of water is used up (not as costly as the fire elemental, but you do have to go somewhere to refill the bucket.)

Man at Arms bandages skill requires crafted bandages.

You get the idea, I think it would be awesome if most of the spells required components.
I think it would be needless baggage. Another issue is that you can't change enemy inventories, because they effectively don't have one. They have unlimited abilities that mimic spells and spell arrows, so basically you'd just be giving yourself a huge disadvantage.

Technically, I don't know if the parameter for such a thing exists. So you would have to create it, which I don't think you can without developer rights atm.
Posted By: Zoltan Re: Spells and abilities requiring components - 22/10/14 06:42 PM
I believe this would be possible, think about special arrows. They require components and are skills. I haven't looked into it but it sounds possible. As far as I am aware everything has an inventory and you can change it. It requires some editing of the stats specifically Equipment and Setting Equipment in sidebar. They may not use the items unless they are scripted to do so.
Posted By: Romus5 Re: Spells and abilities requiring components - 22/10/14 07:35 PM
Is it possible to make non spell skills into a scroll type mechanic? So that way you would have to craft the spell?

So one way to do it is instead of having set spells, you could make it all scroll type, to craft a "Summon fire elemental" spell you would need the iron ore, the candle wax, etc. These would never be repeatable spells, instead they would be more like used up arrows.

Posted By: Hiver Re: Spells and abilities requiring components - 22/10/14 10:45 PM
Good ideas.

I would still require spells for this to be learned and used in addition to materials.

The only problem is that there is too many ingredients in the game so any resource management is a moot point.
Hm...
And what about some kind of PROC, which will check database with required materials, and if = cast, else = fail? It's possible, but I'm not sure about item names...
Maybe just create new craft schemes? It's much easier, I think, and will save you time and hassle.
You can't put requirements on the skills themselves beyond what level is needed to cast them. If someone learns a skill, they can use it as much as they want (even the 'arrow skills' if learned via scripting).

That being said, you *can* make it so that items cast skills when used, like scrolls. This is how the arrow skills work if I remember correctly. In the item template window, for the OnUse action add the cast skill option. Then you could have a crafting combination to create the item.

...You know, I think it could be possible to have some sort of DnD style magic system, where you can prep spells to use before battle. You could make it so that items when used, teach the skill, and when the skill is used it causes the skill to be forgotten. If you're really wanting to, you could set it up so that multiple components need to be used to learn the one-shot skill.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Spells and abilities requiring components - 23/10/14 01:03 PM
Making all magic crafting and resources dependent would go against the core of the setting.
And it would play badly.

While doing it only for some specific spells, like summoning elementals, would feel appropriate and reasonable.

Unless of course one wants to mod a different game.
So, there is an idea, but I'm too lazy to bring to mind. I'll just leave this here:
CharacterCanCast(__char,whatcast,bool)
and
ItemIsInCharacterInventory(_item,_char,_bool)
or
CharacterHasWeaponType(_char,_type)
or something else with similar meaning.
+DB +Proc etc.
Did you try it or something similar?
For something like this to work, the engine would have to trigger a SkillUseRequested event (or something like that) and let the Osiris rules check whether the skill can actually be triggered or not.
Similar logic already exists for dialogs, thats why you need this rule to process the dialog start event:
Code
IF
DialogStartRequested(_Char, _Player)
THEN
StartDefaultDialog(_Char, _Player);
© Larian Studios forums