Larian Studios
Posted By: Rynasi Teller of Secrets - 16/09/14 08:03 PM
Looks like the new patch fixed the bug where the Teller restocks the attribute/ability books every time you level?
Posted By: bbailey1808 Re: Teller of Secrets - 16/09/14 10:28 PM
I have experienced this once. I bought her tomes, leveled, and bought them again. I read somewhere that every level merchants in general restock so thats what I assume
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 16/09/14 11:04 PM
That's how it used to work, but in my latest restart I bought the books, leveled twice, and she doesn't have any more books.
Posted By: Thorsten Re: Teller of Secrets - 18/09/14 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Rynasi
That's how it used to work, but in my latest restart I bought the books, leveled twice, and she doesn't have any more books.

Canï½´t confirm that. I leveled twice now between 11 and 13, every time she was restocked. Yes, the last patch and the new DLC are installed (automatically).

Regards,
Thorsten
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 18/09/14 08:22 PM
Just tested again 5-6, no dice. Did you start your game before the patch, or after?
Posted By: Thorsten Re: Teller of Secrets - 19/09/14 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rynasi
Just tested again 5-6, no dice. Did you start your game before the patch, or after?

After the patch that removed 100% elemental resistance but before the new dlc.
Posted By: bobwalt Re: Teller of Secrets - 19/09/14 08:03 PM
In the wiki it says she should refresh the ability and attribute books and frankly I like it that way. Now in my game she only refreshes the attribute books. I saw the post saying it was a bug but I still say the books should refresh the game hands out too few ability points without the books.
Posted By: Thorsten Re: Teller of Secrets - 19/09/14 09:19 PM
It still does. Advanced 13 to 14 in Luculla mines 15 minutes ago. And as reliable as a swiss clockwork - the teller sells her books.

Regards,
Thorsten
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 19/09/14 09:40 PM
It's possible that the change won't take effect until you start a new game. Mods work that way unless you manually copy some files over. I still haven't gotten her to refresh, but I don't care too much either way.
Posted By: nbog Re: Teller of Secrets - 21/09/14 02:23 AM
I can verify that the Teller of Secrets still restocks every level. I started a new game after the new companions were released.
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 21/09/14 04:16 AM
Am I bugged or something? I've checked every level from 8 to 11, and she hasn't restocked the books at all...
Posted By: bobwalt Re: Teller of Secrets - 21/09/14 08:48 PM
Mine has only restocked attribute books for several levels besides the release notes said she stopped. Something is indeed screwy.
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 22/09/14 01:44 AM
Wait, so she restocked for a few levels, then stopped?
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 22/09/14 03:40 AM
I expanded the .pak file from my game to figure out what's going on.

In my current version (Steam, latest patch and DLC applied), the Object.txt file has two entries for the attribute book:

SKILLBOOK_StatPoint: Unique flag not set
SKILLBOOK_StatPoint_Teller: Unique flag set

Meanwhile, in the TreasureTable.txt file, the Teller only carries the second (unique) book. When I changed it to the first book, she restocked it on level-up. Same thing applies to the attribute book, I assume.

My guess is that Larian added the unique books to prevent her from restocking, but kept the old ones in there to avoid bugs. Additionally, I have heard that the Steam version on PC may be a little out of sync with the version on Mac and the GoG versions, so it's possible this change hasn't propagated out to everyone yet. That's my best guess, at least.
Posted By: Thorsten Re: Teller of Secrets - 22/09/14 05:44 PM
I am definitely on the latest patch (Steam) and the tellewr restocks reliably. Both books (advanced to level 17 since 2 days ago).

Regards,
Thorsten
Posted By: player1 Re: Teller of Secrets - 22/09/14 07:44 PM
^Was game started before the patch that is supposed to add the change?
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 22/09/14 09:53 PM
My main menu screen says v1.0.177.0, btw. That's the latest, right?
Posted By: Raze Re: Teller of Secrets - 23/09/14 01:22 AM

Yes. Both Steam and GOG are currently at 1.0.177.
Posted By: Rynasi Re: Teller of Secrets - 24/09/14 01:18 AM
Definitely something strange going on then, since many people are reporting she's still restocking...
Posted By: Diabolus_Musica Re: Teller of Secrets - 27/09/14 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by nbog
I can verify that the Teller of Secrets still restocks every level. I started a new game after the new companions were released.

This is what I'm seeing. In my game at no point did the Teller NOT restock every level. I started games after every patch too.
© Larian Studios forums