Larian Studios
Posted By: Kemka Tips for using rain with air spells - 08/07/18 10:04 PM
Hi,

I don't seem to be able to use any stunning/electricity spells + rain spell without stunning my own characters?

I check for puddles, it looks clear so I cast something like blitz bolt, but then everyone gets stunned.
Am I not looking properly (for puddles) or is there another part of this set up/mechanics I'm missing?

How do people normally use this combo?

Thanks!
Posted By: Raban Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 12/07/18 05:52 AM
Depending on the area, it can be very hard to spot the flooded parts of the ground, and rain makes anyone wet which lowers their resistance against air effects by 20%.

Avatar of Storms is your friend, it makes one immune to be stunned by electricity, even subsequently. Wind of Change also removes stun, but doesn't linger or immunise, so the character standing on electrified ground can get stunned again (at the turn of the character who applied the electricity, if I remember correctly).

In our playthrough, we had two Aerothurges in our party, so we could insulate two characters at once.
Posted By: Kemka Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 12/07/18 09:26 PM
Okay, thanks! I was in a dark cave when it happened most recently, but I think my monitor might be too dark as well...

Just to be clear, if groups of characters get 'electrocuted' is it because they are standing in puddles of water/blood? There's no mechanic where a wet or bleeding character that becomes stunned can then stun adjacent characters? (It doesn't leap between them or anything?).

Seems like I simply need to remember to look out for puddles of water/blood. I have Avatar of Storms on Jahan so I'll make sure to use it, I'm not great at AP management though. I'll get another character skilled up with it too.

One final thing! When it comes to blood, do bleeding characters always make a 'puddle'?
Posted By: Raban Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 13/07/18 05:47 AM
In my experience from a single but quite thorough playthrough, electric effects can only "jump" to other characters through puddles, or if the effect itself is an area effect, chain lightning, etc.

Blood didn't seem to form puddles every time as far as I recall, I often wondered myself when exactly it does (e.g. at random, damage-dependant, etc.)

As for Jahan and AP management: There is a talent called "Glass Cannon" that gives the character bonus AP but halves his health points. I gave it to Jahan in mid-game and I didn't regret it, since he stayed in the back row most of the time anyway, and he has Stench which lessen the chance of enemies attacking him. Just mentioned for your consideration.
Posted By: caninelegion Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 15/07/18 03:33 AM
I think I'd attack him just to get rid of the stench. smile
Posted By: Raban Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 15/07/18 05:57 AM
smile
Posted By: Kemka Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 25/07/18 09:15 PM
I've already put your advice to good use thanks!

I have a few more questions if that's okay?
After looking at guides around builds and skill suggestions (I'm not looking to min-max or anything though) I purchased a few skills for characters outside of their main attribute, so scoundrel or mage skills for a warrior etc. The success chance is really low however, and I know that you are meant to only really focus on a characters main attribute.

So how do people deal with this? Do they just accept the lower chance of successful cast or do they look for gear to reach the minimum required? I've seen people commenting on using skills that aren't reliant on attributes, but I dont think ive come across any yet?
Posted By: Raze Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 26/07/18 11:48 AM

Skills like Midnight Oil or Summon Spider will be as effective with lower intelligence, just with a higher AP cost. If you are using Thunder Jump with a melee character, casting Rain first will increase the odds of stunning opponents, but in that case stuns are a nice bonus, with the main use being to quickly get into the thick of battle.
Posted By: Raban Re: Tips for using rain with air spells - 12/08/18 06:09 PM
Sorry for my late reply. In addition to the skills Raze mentioned, these are also good candidates for cross-skilling:

- Burning Touch for setting things or surfaces (oil) on fire
- Rain to save your Hydrosophist some AP
- Regeneration for a little extra healing if your healer is indisposed
- Teleportation to put enemies in their rightful place
- Wind of Change to heal Petrified, Slowed and Stunned
- Helping Hand to help knocked down allies get back up (one of the most annoying things in combat!)
- First Aid to heal Bleeding, Crippled and Diseased
- Treat Poisoning to do just that
- Adrenaline to "borrow" some AP from the following turn
- Walk in Shadows against enemy harassment

Just look at the Skill list for skills with low AP costs and without Prerequisites or Saving Throws. Also look at your characters: Are some of them not fully utililized? (as close combat rogues tend to be in my experience) Then cross-skilling can give them something to do while their main skills are on cooldown or until the combat situation calls for them.
© Larian Studios forums