Larian Studios
I'm left-handed and as such, I prefer to remap keyboard controls to the numpad. I've done so via the controls menu and I can see the new bindings I've selected are present and listed properly on the controls screen, the game doesn't actually recognize the numpad properly. Currently, the game engine doesn't differentiate between the number keys on the numpad and the 0-9 number keys above the QWERTY keyboard. For example, I assigned "NUM 8" to the "move camera forward" command yet when I press NUM 8, the game sees this key input as the "8" key above the "U" and "I" keys and then accesses whatever has been mapped to the position 8 slot in the quick bar.

Could you please address this in an upcoming patch?
I'm used to remap numpad and arrows keys since 15 years.
Most games dont provide a decent command editor,
as if all players were right-handed...

So I've learned to use external tool "AutoHotkey" with moderate success,
but it doesn't work with this game.

I've tried "G-Hotkey" with same result.

In order to preserve all hopes put in this game,
I will patiently expect a fix.

Best regards.
Yes, it's frustrating as hell. It'd be nice if they'd even acknowledge that they're aware of the issue and working on a fix but they don't even seem to want to do that.
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 04/07/14 03:05 AM

Larian is aware of this issue.
Originally Posted by Raze

Larian is aware of this issue.

Are they also aware that right control and alt keys do nothing? I've been asking about this since beta. sad
The bug is still there as of the latest patch (v1.0.53).
The numpad bug still exists under patch v 1.0.57. Do you intend to ever address this issue?
Still not working as of 1.0.63.
Numeric numpad keys sill implicitly behave as numbers wich make them useless to remap.
However, arrow keys can be remap now, so the fix is in progress !
Thank you, Larian.

If you can't wait the final fix,
you could install AutoHokey,
and make a very simple script in order to remap numeric numpad keys :

Numpad0::a
Numpad1::c
Numpad2::s
Numpad3::x
Numpad4::q
Numpad5::m
Numpad6::d
Numpad7::t
Numpad8::z
Numpad9::b

Adjust the script to your needs or remap alpha keys in the game.
Save the text file with .ahk extension.
Run the script as administrator.
Enjoy the magic !

Still not fixed as of 1.0.81
Still not fixed. (1.0.93)
Just bought this game, and at the very start, I was surprised to see my rogue suddenly backstab my wizard when I tried to rotate the view. That's when I realized that all of the keys I'd remapped to the NumPad were instead triggering the hotkeys.

Sooo yeeeaaah... Can we please increase the priority of this fix for those of us who mouse left-handed? I didn't appreciate having to spend 4 hours in AutoHotKey enabling controller support for Dead Island Epidemic, yet at least that was to add new functionality. Granted, an AHK script for this is much simpler to create, but I shouldn't have to resort to AHK to implement functionality that has already been provided. wink

EDIT: In addition, it would be nice if the tool tips during the loading screens actually showed the keys you have bound rather than the defaults.
Any updates?
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 06/08/14 06:08 AM

Not for this specifically, I don't think, but on twitter Larian did say improvements to co-op dialogue would be made in an update most likely next week, and that there were "quite a few QOL improvements planned this month".
Still not fixed as of v1.0.107.

Still nothing.
Once again, it's not fixed as of the latest patch. V1.0.130.
This is never getting fixed, is it?
Hello! Lefties are also playing the game!
+1
Any word on the phantom fix?
Bump for nostalgia's sake.
Still not working.
still not working, bumped it for you Wizzleteats since you missed this one :P
Thanks buddy! I figured one (or two-sih?) in the tech section and one on the main section would suffice.
I still can't believe this is even an issue. (!?)

How is it even possible?
Not sure, as the numeric value passed to a program is completely different when num lock is on... It'd have to be programmed into the program itself to change the value that was read in. I've seen programs ignore values (sorry can't use that key) but not alter them before setting them... I made keystroke capture programs that told me the numeric values of key I pressed (so I would know what number to compare on GUI I was making and for testing output) I didn't have to tell it to look for whether the numpad was on or not, windows sent a different value. Could be different in their language but...
The Oct 30 patch fixes the arrow keys for the Mac but the numpad for the PC is still not functioning properly. Why not?
bump
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 04/11/14 12:44 AM

The entire input system for the game is being rewritten.

Bumping topics after each patch didn't help. Bumping topics between patches to say that it still wasn't fixed didn't help. Bumping multiple topics repeatedly is not going to help.
Calmly explaining my situation and asking for a fix didn't seem to help. My request for a refund was refused. Sitting by quietly waiting for a fix hasn't helped. Might as well try the squeaky wheel approach.
Still here and still hoping for a fix.
Still waiting.
Posted By: jr_1 Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 03/12/14 05:26 AM
From a previous poster who mentioned G-Hotkey doesn't really work in this game, that's not entirely true or accurate. I'm the author of G-Hotkey and I was able to use G-Hotkey to do the following in the game:

- Remap the numeric keypad keys 8, 4, 5, 6 to move the camera as appropriate.
- Remap a key to the Show World Tooltips, so it remains held down in the game.
- Remap a key so the left mouse button is held down, so your characters follow the on screen pointer, without you having to constantly hold down the left mouse button.

Of course you can't use the number keys 4, 8, 5, 6 for the skillbar in the game still since the numeric keypad keys are directly mapped/hardcoded to these number keys as well, but you can use multiple (I believe up to 5) skillbars (r and f keys). I can make do for now with this issue.

Anyway, for what it's worth, if you are interested in the functionality above in the game, I provided further details in the below postings:

http://ghotkey.yuku.com/forums/69#.VH6bicmBQ4w (click on the Divinity Original Sin (Full Description) link)
....or
http://ghotkey.yuku.com/topic/71#.VH6bfsmBQ4w
Thanks for posting that. It's worth a try but it still doesn't address the issues I raised earlier in that it makes the default hotbar unusable and the contextual prompts in-game still direct you to incorrect key presses.

Why they refuse to fix this is beyond me but I will not buy any future games from Larian and I will encourage others to avoid giving them business as well.
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 04/12/14 08:28 PM

How exactly does rewriting the input system for the game equal refuse to fix?
Posted By: jr_1 Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 05/12/14 03:40 AM
Sorry all for my previous post if I didn't explain it clearly. The solution I mention with G-Hotkey was not meant as a fix, just a work around until Larian rewrites the input system. You can of course still use the skillbars with the other number keys, just not 8, 4, 5, and 6 (assuming you remap the numeric keypad numbers to move the camera).

Anyway, I hope all still give credit to Larian for making a great game and this really should not be a show stopper for anyone interested in buying the game.

BTW: It may seem easy, but creating input systems that work well is actually really hard. This is why you see other games come out that don't let your remap certain keys in the game sometimes. Just because the problem might seem simple, doesn't necessarily make it so ;-).

How exactly does rewriting the input system for the game equal refuse to fix?

So when's the rewrite supposedly coming out then?
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 30/12/14 04:58 AM

AFAIK there hasn't been an ETA given.
Any update?
Any update?
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 28/01/15 07:40 AM

No. The rewritten input system will likely not be implemented until the upcoming large balancing update (with the harder difficulty mode and added skills).
Patch downloaded today. It's still not fixed.
Still waiting.
Still waiting. This is ridiculous.
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 03/04/15 08:00 AM

It still isn't being implemented until the next large update, which is "some months" from being done.

Wait for the update or setup a custom keyboard layout so you can remap the keys you want where you want them.
I just bought the game on GOG, fired it up and, being a leftie, I immediately ran into the exact same issues as Wizzleteats did. I'm amazed that he's still bumping this thread!

Considering this appears to have been an ongoing issue for almost a year now (according to this thread), it looks like I should have done some research before buying....

Because in its current state the game is a real pain to play for a left-handed person. In addition to the broken keyboard remapping it also forces one to use the left STRG and ALT keys - which completely destroys playability for me.

Honestly, if it takes several months to even years to fix this I have little hope of ever playing this game. For certain, I'm not as patient as Wizzleteats.

Sorry for the rant but I had plans to play (and enjoy playing) this game.
Posted By: Raze Re: Remapping controls to numpad doesn't work - 30/04/15 08:26 PM

Set up a custom keyboard layout, or use Autohotkey to remap the right Alt/Ctrl keys to function as the left ones, or swap mouse buttons, etc.

You can also swap mouse buttons by hex editing the Engine.pak file, in the '..\Divinity - Original Sin\Data' folder. If you want to make a backup of this file, do so in another folder; having extra pak files (even renamed) in this folder can cause the game to crash on startup.
In a hex editor, such as XVI, open the Engine.pak file, search for the text string MOUSEBUTTON1 and change the 4 instances to MOUSEBUTTONa (either manually, or use the search and replace function). Next, replace MOUSEBUTTON2 with MOUSEBUTTON1, and then replace MOUSEBUTTONa with MOUSEBUTTON2.

Set up a custom keyboard layout, or use Autohotkey to remap the right Alt/Ctrl keys to function as the left ones, or swap mouse buttons, etc.

You can also swap mouse buttons by hex editing the Engine.pak file, in the '..\Divinity - Original Sin\Data' folder. If you want to make a backup of this file, do so in another folder; having extra pak files (even renamed) in this folder can cause the game to crash on startup.
In a hex editor, such as XVI, open the Engine.pak file, search for the text string MOUSEBUTTON1 and change the 4 instances to MOUSEBUTTONa (either manually, or use the search and replace function). Next, replace MOUSEBUTTON2 with MOUSEBUTTON1, and then replace MOUSEBUTTONa with MOUSEBUTTON2.

Okay thanks, will give this a try.
Well, the enhanced edition is out and the numberpad is STILL NOT FIXED! Why?
btt
© Larian Studios forums