Larian Studios
still crashing on save even after the latest patch was installed today. Please help.
I experience the same issue. It would be nice if you could help soon.
I'm also having this problem, every time my screen loads my game crashes. Please fix soon
Same here.
I get the feeling they believe it's already fixed, so I wonder it will ever be addressed. I do know it started with me after the patch before last.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 04/07/14 11:24 PM

Please email supportdos@larian.com. On PC the report.zip file generated by the D:OS support tool will include crash dumps, system information, etc, as well as any saves that were written to the save folder (partly or not).
On Mac, I have been told crash reports are collected inside the Console application. When emailing the crash reports, the end section (list of libs) can be omitted. User System Profiler to collect system info. To diagnose hangs you can launch Activity Monitor, then select Divinity and press the Sample button.

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and renaming the 'Divinity Original Sin' subfolder. After that try starting a new game and see if you can save.
This folder contains the profiles, saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Deleting or renaming it will get the game to recreate it on startup; playing the game from a different Windows user account would effectively do the same thing (don't know about Mac).
Seems to work, but only for a new game. This means my save files are corrupted somehow - so I should start everything over again, with the chance it might happen again?

Oh dear.
the game never creates a \Documents\Larian Studios' folder anywhere in my system. I'm running a pc via steam. I've verified game cache and even deleted local content and reacquired the game files.
Same problem here. Either infinite loop on auto-save when entering tutorial dungeon, or crash on manual saving. Game is unplayable at the moment for me - can't save or progress...
Hmm... I know nobody wants to hear it from those who have no issues, but I never had a single crash upon saving or loading this game at any moment. Could all of you please list your system specs?
Originally Posted by Raze

Please email supportdos@larian.com. On PC the report.zip file generated by the D:OS support tool will include crash dumps, system information, etc, as well as any saves that were written to the save folder (partly or not).
On Mac, I have been told crash reports are collected inside the Console application. When emailing the crash reports, the end section (list of libs) can be omitted. User System Profiler to collect system info. To diagnose hangs you can launch Activity Monitor, then select Divinity and press the Sample button.

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and renaming the 'Divinity Original Sin' subfolder. After that try starting a new game and see if you can save.
This folder contains the profiles, saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Deleting or renaming it will get the game to recreate it on startup; playing the game from a different Windows user account would effectively do the same thing (don't know about Mac).

deleted DOS folder made new profile, played from the beginning, crashed after a while again while saving...
Originally Posted by MonarchX
Hmm... I know nobody wants to hear it from those who have no issues, but I never had a single crash upon saving or loading this game at any moment. Could all of you please list your system specs?

I sincerely hope you mean something like "crash report", or you are hoping to discern something specific that all those specs might share (which might result in these problems).

Because these crashes and troubles with save games are happening to a variety of players on a variety of systems. I admit the possibility of a commonality of influence, but trying to imply the problem is a result of low end systems is beating a dead horse.
I'm sure "yours is bigger than mine" :P

But seriously, I know it's not the quality of my system because it's fine and relatively new. As for any shared cause, I'd be interested as well.
But I don't think this is a user side problem. It's been affecting loads of people before a certain patch, and quite some after it.
I think these guys took the day off to watch the world cup game. No updates today at all...surprising for such a new game with these issues.
I was just fixing to post this topic when I saw it below. Yes, I too am having the same issue. Didnt bother me too much at first but not it gets incredibly annoying. When I save about 5 times my game crashes.

Just fought a long battle with undead and when I tried to save bloody game crashed. I was so irritated I couldn't play anymore.

When is this going to be addressed because I really want to continue progressing?
Posted By: lulu Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 06/07/14 03:45 AM
I just got the game today, played for 1 hour or so. It crashed on save 3 times and the last time after it crashed it broke the saved game also, as now it's crashing every time I try to continue.
Same problem. Goddammit it! I keep crashing when trying to enter the skull cave and the bridge near the lava. Now I just defeated Evelyn and when I tried to load that save I keep crashing.
some say that it might be an issue with the saved games being stored on any other drive than c:
Has anyone been able to load the tutorial dungeon? I keep crashing there and whenever trying to save. The game never never keeps a profile. Each time i start up i have to create a new profile. I have the folder tree off my c drive, so maybe that's an issue?
I'm using a Windows 7 via steam on a pretty decent PC with all the current drivers.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 06/07/14 05:42 AM

Yes, it does seem to have a problem if the My Documents location is moved (profile not saved and crash trying to save the game). Try making a new Windows user account with a default My Documents, and the play the game as that user (not sure if you can do that through Steam, but you can Shift right click an executable/shortcut and run as another user).
2 Raze

Not that. I have my documents on C:/ and larian folder is there, the game also keeps my profile, but crashes on saving, or goes into infinite loop in tutorial dungeon on auto-save. I bet it is a memory leak issue either with x32 systems, or DX9, or both. I could be wrong, but, if the game is on Unity it is a kind of a known issue of optimisation - there was something similar with Might and Magic X, until they fixed it.

I have win 7 32 bit. And my video card is running on dx9 by default (although it is above minimal specs).
Got the same problem. Game crashed and the save became corrupted. I`ll shelve the game until they manage to fix it.
Originally Posted by biagioviv
still crashing on save even after the latest patch was installed today. Please help.

SOLUTION: I reinstalled windows and I am now able to save the game.

I realize this isn't the ideal solution for everyone but I needed a fresh reinstall anyways so this ended up working out for the best for me.
I'm on a 64 bit Win 7 with direct x version 11 and its doing the same thing
This is a great game. Amazing old school Baldurs Gate quality. I'll be honest...I turned off autos ave just to play knowing I'd lose all progress just to play until I died or got tired. Looking forward to the save bug fix ASAP. Please keep us posted!

Thank you! Haven't had this much fun since Skyrim
So... Last night, my crash on load problem suddenly stopped.

I'm not sure what happened. The only thing I did differently was create a new save (up until then I just overwrote the saves I already made).

I didn't load that new save - I overwrote another some minutes later and loaded that, whereupon the game crashed as usual. After that I overwrote another, loaded it after a while and... It... I don't know, it just... it actually *loaded*.

I had to take a deep breath at that point.

After that everything seems to work normally again; saving, loading, gnashing my teeth at Jahan instead of the umpteenth crash.

Strange though, I didn't do anything different except creating a new save, and I don't see how that might have influenced anything (seeing as to I didn't even touched it since).
I wondered if Larian had send some ninja patch, but that would be hard to do since I was playing the whole time (except for that one crash before it stopped).
Maybe it had something to do with the point in the campaign I've progressed to? The area?

8/
I had been having the "infinite save" bug happening, and found a solution over on the Steam forum's that worked, and may for you if you're using a 32-bit system.

My System:
Windows 7 32-bit
AMD Phenom II X2 955 3.2GHz
8GB Ram (2.92GB usable)
AMD Radeon HD 6800

Steps 1 and 2 below worked for me. I didn't try them separately, but my feeling is this is a memory issue. I set memory at what the instructions say, not 3008.

I found that increasing the maximum allocated memory windows allows for applications drastically reduced the number of crashes I'm having and helps speed up the save and loading although it still slow compared to 64bit machines.

NOTE: ONLY FOR 32bit Windows versions with 4GB+ Ram installed on the machine.

STEP 1: Allocate more memory

Follow the instructions here:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=477192&an=
(I set mine to 3008, DO NOT set any higher than 3096)

To RESET the windows to default values here is the command:
bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa
(http://windows7themes.net/en-us/32-...increase-ram-used-by-single-application/)

STEP 2: Create a shortcut with administrator privileges

In Steam go to Library, right click Divinity original Sin -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files -> Go to "Shipping" -> Right Click EoCApp.exe and create a desktop shortcut.

Then right click the new shortcut -> properties -> Compatibility -> TICK "Run this program as an administrator".

Run the game from this shortcut instead of the one steam created for you.

STEP 3: If your game is still slow or crashes:
From the game settings, remove shadows, put Antialiasing to trilinear and lower any other settings until your game runs smoothly.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
Make sure you are running a command prompt AS AN ADMINISTRATOR when assigning or reseting the memory value.
For the change to take effect you need to restart your machine.
Before playing the game each time, close as many programs as possible.
Make sure to reset the values once you will no longer play the game or if you are having problems with other programs crashing. (Just note it somewhere to remember to change it in the future)

The game is still crashing. Is this problem going to be addressed soon?! :0
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 07/07/14 08:52 AM
Although the frequency is less its still such a huge bug. Just now I finished a fantastic battle that took about 15 mins. Went to quick save it and it just froze on the saving screen. Crashed. Tried continue in hopes it still saved. NOPE. Have to do it all over again. I love the game but even I dont want to play the same parts over and over.

PLEASE FIX
Posted By: irb1 Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 07/07/14 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Boston
I had been having the "infinite save" bug happening, and found a solution over on the Steam forum's that worked, and may for you if you're using a 32-bit system.

My System:
Windows 7 32-bit
8GB Ram (2.92GB usable)
AMD Radeon HD 6800

Steps 1 and 2 below worked for me. I didn't try them separately, but my feeling is this is a memory issue. I set memory at what the instructions say, not 3008.

I found that increasing the maximum allocated memory windows allows for applications drastically reduced the number of crashes I'm having and helps speed up the save and loading although it still slow compared to 64bit machines.

(http://windows7themes.net/en-us/32-...increase-ram-used-by-single-application/)

In Steam go to Library, right click Divinity original Sin -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files -> Go to "Shipping" -> Right Click EoCApp.exe and create a desktop shortcut.

Then right click the new shortcut -> properties -> Compatibility -> TICK "Run this program as an administrator".

From the game settings, remove shadows, put Antialiasing to trilinear and lower any other settings until your game runs smoothly.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
Make sure you are running a command prompt AS AN ADMINISTRATOR when assigning or reseting the memory value.
Make sure to reset the values once you will no longer play the game or if you are having problems with other programs crashing. (Just note it somewhere to remember to change it in the future)

Thank you! It really helped.
this didn't work for me. Not sure if its because i'm running a 64 bit system.

any ideas?
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 07/07/14 03:33 PM
Hi,

Could you send us a report.zip from our support tool?
It can be found here: http://www.larian.com/OriginalSinAlpha/AnalysisTool_DOS.exe
Simply run the tool and click generate report, then send this to supportdos@larian.com with a small description.

Thank you
I did that already. Sent it on Thursday. Does it matter if it was for an older version? I have also been emailing with a Octaaf Fieremans, I emailed him the "Windows Log" of my eocapp error log.
This is my first time noticing this issue. Unfortunately there are no debug reports going in like there was on the beta to help with this problem.

My first crash was when trying to save in the Black Cove cave just past the Orcs outside of Cyseal.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 07/07/14 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Issh
Hi,

Could you send us a report.zip from our support tool?
It can be found here: http://www.larian.com/OriginalSinAlpha/AnalysisTool_DOS.exe
Simply run the tool and click generate report, then send this to supportdos@larian.com with a small description.

Thank you

Do I do this AFTER a crash or at any time?
Same issue. I can enter game save data (save name) but after clicking on save, the save process crashes the game back to Steam sceen. Running i5 2.5ghz duo. w 4GB memory.

Can't seem to find any Larian local files under My Docs???

newest Steam update doesn't fix the crash at save still. Are you still working on that issue? Is it an issue with Steam?
Sent a report and some comments to support.

On starting new game (after this Monday's patch) and immediately saving the game - worked, but after a few minutes of looting shells on the beach and trying to save again - ended in an infinite loop. I think they still work on the fix (obviously), cause newest patch does not list this issue as fixed.
is everyone who has this issue using Steam? just curious if saving to the "cloud" has something to do with it?
I'm using steam. But I doubt it, cause if issue was with that, then saves would never work. But they work sometimes - at start of a new game, as an example.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 07/07/14 08:20 PM
I'm not sure I've had a crash on a save since the update today. Still I find myself celebrating every time the game doesn't crash on a save lol
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 07/07/14 08:33 PM
Never mind. It just did a never ending quick save screen. Wheel turning, music going... frown
yes, using steam.

interestingly, as opposed to other Steam games I have installed, I cannot find a local game folder on My Docs....?

Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by RtM

Any time.

Originally Posted by Sir Weenald

It should be '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin'

Have you moved your My Documents folder somewhere other than the default? (different hard drive or NAS) In that case you would also find your profile not being saved when you restart the game, rather than 'just' crashing when trying to save.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 01:22 AM
I feel like this issue is not high up on the to do list.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 01:23 AM
Thanks I will do that right now.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by RtM

Any time.

Originally Posted by Sir Weenald

It should be '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin'

Have you moved your My Documents folder somewhere other than the default? (different hard drive or NAS) In that case you would also find your profile not being saved when you restart the game, rather than 'just' crashing when trying to save.

Im having the same problem. Those files are nowhere to be found where you say they should be.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 03:35 AM
Sigh forget it. The zip file doesnt show up in the folder. Cant find it. I followed the instructions I was given when I did this in Beta and nothing. I give up. Ill just have to hope they get around to fixing this problem soonish.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 04:20 AM

In Win7 it should be: c:\Users\<UserName>\My Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin

Opening up Windows Explorer, if the Navigation pane is showing, there should be a list of Libraries, the first of which is Documents, which will let you quickly get to My Documents for the current user.

The report.zip should be created in the same folder as the support tool. I saved the program to my desktop, and that's where the report ends up, anyway.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 08/07/14 05:40 AM
That's the key there. To save the program to the desktop. Lol that would save so much time if you would tell others to do that so they won't have to go searching for that report zip. Thanks for the help.
Got a reply from support.

Hi,

We are aware of memory issues on 32-bit systems and are still looking into solutions.

Version 1.0.51 should improve this a bit, but not remove the problem entirely.

Please try lowering the graphics settings and shut down any non-essential programs running in the background.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Hi all,

I have this issue on my work PC but not my home one and it's defintely got to be something to do with moving the My Docs folder I think. In fact as well as the immediate crash after starting I cannot save my profile at all as Raze mentions above so every time I restart I have to create the profuiel again!

My machine is Windows 7 64 bit.

However, weird thing is, if I change my video settings, the graphicsProfiles file in the Documents\Larian Studios folder immediately updates so the program is well aware of where I moved my 'My Documents' to! (I have mentioned this before on another thread so sorry to repeat myself). Also the playerProfile file updates to whatever profile name I create when starting the game. But it never creates the associated folder for that profile name.

Today I copied the complete Larian Studios folder to the Documents folder from my Dropbox backup. I then kept the Larian Studios folder open on my second screen while the game started up. It did not see the files I had copied there even though I made sure I have full control permission and that I was the owner of the newly copied over Larian Studios folder. I also set the EoCApp.exe file to start as Administrator.

I then created a new profile after restarting the game and called the profile the exact same name as the folder I had copied from Dropbox, as I clicked OK to this the profile folder I had copied from Dropbox disappeared from the Larian Studios folder but a new one was not created!

Sorry if that was a bit complicated, not that easy to explain smile
So, no good news but just though that might save others a little time finding out smile
Sometimes my Quick saves vanished...

When I go to \Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\PlayerProfiles\[...]\Savegames\
I see directories, but nothing (except Cyseal.lsb and Homestead.lsb) into for QuickSave_1, QuickSave_2, QuickSave_3, QuickSave_4. So the game can't load these files smirk same thing for AutoSave_1 until AutoSave_4 ; Empty directories.

Fortunately, I make backups.
Hi,

well, thanks to Raze's suggestion I have now got it working!

I simply created another local profile, linked it to my Steam account and hey presto, it saw my profile and imported saves!
It then crashed when I selected my latest save and no matter what permissions and administrative rights I changed it would not work, tried reducing video and audio quality but no better. However, used the save before that and worked!

So, not perfect but if you wish to play it that badly then creating another profile for the game seems a minor inconvenience to me!
Also, it saved fine on either autosave or my own.

Hope that helps and thanks to all for advice smile
As a work around to the issue of crashing at save and losing profile, etc...it's definitely a network path/permissions issue for me due to the way My Docs location/path is established on the work laptop/network. As a work around, with Windows running, logged in as Administrator, launched Steam, started game (similar work around to those that suggested creating new Windows user/login). No problems with saving game data, profiles, etc.
no Steam patch/update today I see? Hopefully that means they are working hard on a fix for this issue. Hopefully tomorrow...
let's hope tomoorrow indeed. I'm eager to explore this game lol...
Are they addressing the fix for this? I know that they're pretty busy, but it would be nice if they can sort this out as it makes the game unplayable. Ive sent a few emails to supportdos@larian.com along with the diagnostic tool results as well.
Just want to chime in my 2c.

The save crash appears to be caused by my documents not using the default locations. I play at work, and found that when on my domain account that redirects my docs to a sever location. I never get the Larian folder created in to the my documents folder. Causing the save crash\having to recreate a profile every time I launch.

The having my docs redirected only appears to affect this games ability to save as I have plenty of games installed that have no saving issues.

To test it a bit further I created a local user account on my pc and logged into it. I launched the game created a profile started a game and saved on the beach successfully. Exited the game and came back in to find my video settings intact and profile still in place. Checked the my documents which on the local account is in the default windows location and found the Larian folder along with its appropriate contents.

2 caracarn

People already wrote about it and it is not the main reason. In my case Larian folder is where it should be, and the game saves my profile, but crashes on save or goes into infinite loop.
Originally Posted by caracarn
Just want to chime in my 2c.

The save crash appears to be caused by my documents not using the default locations. I play at work, and found that when on my domain account that redirects my docs to a sever location. I never get the Larian folder created in to the my documents folder. Causing the save crash\having to recreate a profile every time I launch.

The having my docs redirected only appears to affect this games ability to save as I have plenty of games installed that have no saving issues.

To test it a bit further I created a local user account on my pc and logged into it. I launched the game created a profile started a game and saved on the beach successfully. Exited the game and came back in to find my video settings intact and profile still in place. Checked the my documents which on the local account is in the default windows location and found the Larian folder along with its appropriate contents.

I am having this same exact issue. I have even went so far as changing my work's network server based MyDocuments folder, to my local C: drive. It's still crashing to desktop when I save at the beach, even after changing the MyDocuments folder path, rebooting, and re-installing Divinity.

Please fix this soon! None of my other Steam games have this issue.
same here. I just went through the entire process of creating a new Windows user profile and logging in with that profile. Setting up admin privileges and running as admin and its still crashing and not saving anything.

No patch today? That's two days for a new game with issues. Disappointed.

The new patch did something, but has not fixed the issue.

[Linked Image]

It seems the game checks to see if it can access saves right away now, and then errors out with:

Savegame load failed. Error code(s):

Contact Larian Support if this keeps happening.

It keeps happening.

was there a patch today?
yep! same here - crashing after opening saved game since the latest 1.0.63

Mac OS 10.9.4
Yes crashes again frown we can't play tonight....:*(
Same here frown

I've checked my save game folder and everything is still there... But whenever I try to load one of my save games, the game crashes back to my desktop. There were also plenty of bug reports written by the game, one for each attempt of loading a save. So if you're interested in them, just tell me were to send them. I've also used your analysis tool and can provide the report file in case this helps.

Just as a note: everything worked fine before the latest patch - I was able to save and load and then I went to get some food. When I came back and started the game again it was patched and loading was no longer possible.

I would be happy if there's a solution besides starting a new game. I mean it's really a great game but sooner or later it's kind of boring doing the same over and over again.
do you run the game as administrator? has anyone tried that after the new patch?

just curious
Not until you suggested it smile But unfortunately it makes no difference - I've manually started EoCApp.exe with admin privileges but it's still not possible to load any saves.

But anyway, thanks for the suggestion!
Just tried it, still doesn't work...
How come autosaves load fine?
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 10/07/14 08:36 PM
Freezing/Crashing still happening. It's like I can only save/load so many times before the game decides it's been long enough. Getting really frustrating playing this game now as I have to do SO MUCH multiple times because of the saves not actually saving.
+1, game was playing fine all day today, then randomly I try to load a quicksave, and it crashes... now it will not load any saved games.

Not sure why it just started suddenly... I was in the same game session all day with no issues.
Originally Posted by IBreakBad
+1, game was playing fine all day today, then randomly I try to load a quicksave, and it crashes... now it will not load any saved games.

Not sure why it just started suddenly... I was in the same game session all day with no issues.

Same here, when i try to load a quick save in the cave with the orcs and pirates = crash !
oddly enough, thats where I am. Just got through the battle with the Orcs/Pirates, quick saved, then when I loaded it back it started crashing... cant even load saves from before that has 100% loaded for me before
i have uninstalled the game and installed again, i have delete the folder "Larian studios" in docuements, without saves games and when i want to reload... crash again
after todays update/patch was installed the game won't even let me create characters and start. It kicks me to the create profile screen with a msg "save game load file failed - error code 100. contact Larian Studios for more help".

Before I could at least start a game but could never save one. Now I can't do either...

HELP!!
Not sure if this is a related problem but my GF and I were saving in the Black Cove before Billeh and those saves will NOT load at all. Immediate CTD.

I have emailed a report to supportdos@larian.com
Ok well the issue is still not fixed atleast for me anyways. I'm crashing "less often" now but the crashes are still happening whenever I quick save.
is there a fix for this in the works? Not able to play at all...let us know

Waiting patiently!
Thanks
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 11/07/14 02:20 PM
biagioviv, can you check if deleting your levelcache folder helps you out? And let us know the outcome.

You can find the levelcache folder at ...Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\LevelCache.

Mike, your issue should be fixed in today's update(s).
Same save issue - my saves before the Orc Boss work, those after do not.
I patched.
I dont have a levelcache folder. When I install from Steam there are no Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\LevelCache folders created under My Documents.
in your library, mydocuments
I don't have a Larian folder within My Documents!!
Larian studios precisely
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 11/07/14 03:06 PM
Are you playing on a network drive?

As soon as you enter character creation screen, there should be a Larian Studios folder created under My Documents.
I'm having the same issue with loading a save around the black cove. I get errors 300/301 and a weird visual. I'm happy to send screenshots to reproduce.

Thanks!
I deleted the Level Cache folder, and am still getting 300, 301 errors.
yep like everyone, we must wait...
I'm using my work laptop and after reading all the posts I suspect its been setup to save to a network drive.
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 11/07/14 03:10 PM
Do not delete your levelcache folder unless I specifically ask you to do so please, it may cause errors throughout the rest of your game, I was speaking to biagioviv concerning the Levelcache folder.

The fix for your 300, 301 errors just got put on steam so should be downloadable any time now.
biagioviv, try going through my computer, find all available HDD in the "MY Computer" screen, and go through each. Look for Users/{User account name}/My Documents/Larian/

Unless you saved over VPN then you have compounded problems lol. Best of luck!
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 11/07/14 03:11 PM
Thats the problem biagioviv, for now we dont have an immediate solution from our side unfortunately but we are working on this. If you can set your 'My Documents' locally it will solve your problem.
k after newest patch it loads up. Thx Issh
How do I do that? I have Admin rights on the laptop so I should be able to change my settings.

Why do I not have this issue with other Steam games? I bought one last night and installed it and it saved fine
biagoviv, download latest patch before anything else. Chances are if your saved files worked before they should work now.
they never worked. I have never been able to save a game
Issh - I still have an error 300 when loading my game. Error 301 is now gone. I still also have the same visual distortion before the crash. I'm on build .67 (before it was .63) on a macbook air.

Thanks!
It's gone i can now play
my game crashes whenever i hit escape and click save, however i can still do an f5 quicksave, i'm in the first city, my crash started in the tavern, i have all my video settings to recommended. [i changed the my documents from read only, that seems to have fixed the save/crash] however i just had another crash when exiting the game from the main menu to the desk top?!
saving, loading and "continue" all seem to be working again. Merci! thankyou
Haven't been able to start the game yet. Keep getting "Save game load failed error code(s) 100" whenever I try to start the game. Before this patch I could get to character creation and then a CTD when I went to start the actual game. Any ideas?
Started a new game, played a bit, then quicksaved - it worked. Then beated first skeletons, rescued Ishmashell and tried to quicksave again, before entering tutorial dungeon and save went into infinite loop.
Bought the game yesterday and i'm also having the save loop hang. Has happened twice so far, first time lost 30 mins, then today had a long game with no problems, and suddenly thought, oh, i haven't saved for a while...save...hang...lost 1h50... frown

Great game, but save failing? That's a game breaker. I mean most intermittent bugs you save more often to accommodate them, but when the bug IS saving, you are a bit screwed.

I'm tempted to stop playing for the moment and come back when it is fixed, does an email get sent out with the next patch or do i have to check somewhere?

I thought this may have got sorted out during the pre-release which is why i waited, tis rather annoying to not be able to play my 」30 game...

Thanks,

Mike.....
Also, i can't send you my report.zip as it is 36mb, and hotmail doesn't like files over 25mb.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 13/07/14 01:26 AM

Double click the report.zip file to open it in Windows Explorer, go into the profile's savegames folder and delete some of the saves. In this case you'd probably only need a couple saves what worked properly, and then any that were written but do not load, etc.
I too am unable to load my saves inside of Black Cove. The game doesn't crash, but it loads up, displays my camera exceedingly far away from the level for a moment, then tells me it had error 300 and brings me back to the main menu.

This is of course with the latest patch applied already.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 13/07/14 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Gothnak
Bought the game yesterday and i'm also having the save loop hang. Has happened twice so far, first time lost 30 mins, then today had a long game with no problems, and suddenly thought, oh, i haven't saved for a while...save...hang...lost 1h50... frown

Great game, but save failing? That's a game breaker. I mean most intermittent bugs you save more often to accommodate them, but when the bug IS saving, you are a bit screwed.

I'm tempted to stop playing for the moment and come back when it is fixed, does an email get sent out with the next patch or do i have to check somewhere?

I thought this may have got sorted out during the pre-release which is why i waited, tis rather annoying to not be able to play my 」30 game...

Thanks,
Mike.....

This exactly. It's ruining a wonderful game and the experience. I keep thinking "I should just reboot the game after I get away with 2 saves" ?!?! Nobody should have to think that about a game. It's craziness.

Double click the report.zip file to open it in Windows Explorer, go into the profile's savegames folder and delete some of the saves. In this case you'd probably only need a couple saves what worked properly, and then any that were written but do not load, etc.

All of my saves that actually saved work fine. It's the fact it can't save that's the problem. I don't know if sending you a bunch of working saves will help.
So, today i tried to do it a bit differently. I saved the game manually every 10 mins, the first 3 were fine, when i saved the 4th (back over the first save i made) it crashed. I haven't had a crash before always a hang, so that might help?

I'll try it again, but seems it might be every 4th save that it blows up?
Maybe this problem was reported somewhere, but that's what I get. Everything saves just fine, but when I'm trying to overwrite existing savegame, process never stops: saving logo (with rotating circle) appears on screen, but never disappears. I waited for half an hour, but it didn't stopped. I hear music but the game isn't responding. The only way was to kill process via Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Originally Posted by Addon
Maybe this problem was reported somewhere, but that's what I get. Everything saves just fine, but when I'm trying to overwrite existing savegame, process never stops: saving logo (with rotating circle) appears on screen, but never disappears. I waited for half an hour, but it didn't stopped. I hear music but the game isn't responding. The only way was to kill process via Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I expect it was just your fourth or so save in one play session? Including autosaves.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 13/07/14 10:05 PM
I don't know if sending you a bunch of working saves will help.

The saves, probably not (though it couldn't hurt to leave one or two), but the system information and any crash dumps, etc, may help.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 13/07/14 10:40 PM

I expect it was just your fourth or so save in one play session? Including autosaves.

This guy knows how it works. Now after 3 saves I quit the game and reboot. Stupid I know, but it's better than having to fight a long tough battle immediately after having just done it.
still crashing...

Double-checked everything. It seems you are right, this thing happens on my fourth saving (counting autosaves and quicksaves).

Double-checked everything. It seems you are right, this thing happens on my fourth saving (counting autosaves and quicksaves).

It's good we are slowly tracking it down. Seems it can happen on region transitions too when the locations unload. (Spoiler)... When i chose which patient to heal and the region unloaded, my game crashed then.

Main thing to remember at the moment an autosave IS a save, so don't forget and play after the 3rd save, if unsure, quit and restart :p...

The really annoying thing is, because i know the save system is unsafe i actually save more often meaning that i don't get very far after 3 saves either...
2 Gothnak

That's not the case for me. The game hangs or crashes on first or second save after a bit of playing the game. I never got that far as 3 saves.
I'm having the Black Cove issue - I entered Black Cove and saved several times since entering. However, I can't load any of the saves from within, only those I made before. The game returns to main menu with error code 300.
Does every single player have loading/saving issues? I dont see a single comment from anyone who dont have the problem? And if there is someone who doesnt have the problem, why do you think he/she doesnt have the problem?

Iエve had it since I started a few days ago with 1.0.57.0 and problem continues. I manually save both before and after conversations, before and after barters, before and after entering caves and so on. This is the way I Progress in the game atm. It Works, but itエs annoying smile

I experince crashes both on manually saves, Automatic saves and quick saves and there doesnt seem to be any pattern at all. The question is why itエs random? For me it doesnt occur every time i load or same but every 2-7 times i load/save.

I do hope that this is a prioritised matter since itエs a question of being able to play the game at all, and to be honest, you could do a lot better with communicating the status of this issue either through you website, social media or steam so that the players understand that there is something being done about this problem. People who are buying this game are paying your salary and for some it might be a lot of Money buying this game.

I found the support Tool and will do my part and install it and report all the crashes i experience even though im personally against using my time, trying to fix something that should be working from the start.

D:OS is a awesome game and I have been looking for something simular since Fallout 1 and 2. I hope there will be ad-ons and sequels but next time I will wait a few weeks/months before i Invest Money and know that all the "diseases" are gone. Atleast the ones that makes the game non-playble. smile

I also have this saving issue, which really is annoying. It happens every third or fourth save, no matter where and regardless of autosave, quick save or normal save. The turning icon begins to stutter, sound does as well and gets stuck in a loop and the game just shuts down leaving me at the desktop. There is no error message, game is just gone. I lowered graphics, deactivated autosave (to not get surprised by the next crash) and reduced the quick save slots to 2, didn't help.

To a "save early, save often" game this bug hurts quite a lot.
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 14/07/14 12:52 PM
We are aware of memory issues on 32-bit systems and are still looking into solutions.

Please try lowering the graphics settings and shut down any non-essential programs running in the background.

Thank you. Probably faster changing to 64-bit system than waiting for a patch/fix then. smile
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 14/07/14 05:08 PM
I'm actually avoiding playing now. I cannot play for extended periods for fear of losing large portions of progress and out of annoyance. I don't want be annoyed with this game frown
Any information on the Black Cove issue? I really want to keep playing, but I can't do that until I can load Black Cove (I really don't want to have to load an autosave from outside and skip Black Cove entirely, which is assuming there's not something story-critical in there).
Any news when there will be a fix for the black cove load error ???
Maybe this will help the load/save lock up problem but i noticed that my C: drive was particularly full yesterday, so cleared up another 8gb of space on it and now i can get to around 8 or 9 saves before a hang rather than the previous 3 or 4.
Posted By: Issh Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 15/07/14 09:42 AM
Are the people that experience Black Cove issues playing with version 1.0.67? Those issues should have been fixed in that version.

If you are and haven't sent a report yet please send us one using our support tool: OriginalSinAlpha/AnalysisTool_DOS.exe
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 15/07/14 12:18 PM
(Version 1.067 here)

Purchased & installed the game last weekend and it already was at version 1.067. This sunday 07/13, after experiencing the load/save bug and not being able to save even once at some occasions, I tried fixing the issue. Read a few posts about it, and tried most of the solutions i could find. Nothing helped.

I have tried putting all settings on lowest, and it doesn't change anything, except the game looks fugly smile Same goes with stopping all processes running on my comp while playing to free up some memory.

I've tried allocating more memory to the application, as described in some posts i've found, but it was already using up all available memory anyway (my system runs on 4Gb)

I also tried deleting all saves on my HDD except the last 2, but they're still saved on steam's cloud, so they're still present ingame.

My last hope was a patch update, so I changed Divity's update setting in Steam from "regular" to highest priority (this monday), just out of despair. Unexpectedly, this made steam update the game immediately after saving the settings(i saw the d/l and the patching). But the version didn't change. I'm still at 1.067 after the update, like I was before, So I'm a bit puzzled as to what exactly this update was.. ?

With all this, the bug still remains.

- Any "load game" from a current game or from the homescreen after exiting a game systematically made the game crash (white screen, sound goes on, but after 10 minutes of waiting still nothing) and i have to close it manually and restart it.
- Any "big" loading in the game makes it freeze / crash too. I say big because this doesn't happen when you change floors in a building, for an example. But it does crash with events like the one in Cyseal where you have to choose which agonizing man you want to save - i suppose you are to be teleported somewhere after the dialogue, but i never got to that part, the game just crashes.
- I only manage to "manually" save once, then it systematically crashes on the second save (. The save is a new one, i'm not overwriting an existing file. I stopped trying to quicksave with F5 after reading a few posts on the topic.
- Sometimes, even the first save crashes the game, so it's not guaranteed to work once. But it is guaranteed to work ONLY once, never twice or more.
- Not being able to save even once seem to happen anytime there is an event happening in the game. Events like a loading screen, recruiting someone to the party, a fight, a cutscene/script, etc... this does not seem to happen when it's only a small load, like switching floors in a building.
- Of course, autosave is deactived, because the bug happens there too.

So the only solution I have at this point is to systematically save my game after each "event". By event, i mean each dialog, each loading of an area (including different floors of the same building out of safety), each fight, each new henchmen recruited, etc... just to close the game, relaunch it and start and load up the last save I made.

So, when i'm reading the previous replies, where people claim they notice the same pattern (crashed after 1 save, crashes after 3 saves, crashes after 7 saves, etc... ) and compared to what i'm experiencing, i can only conclude this has to do with the available memory on your system? As in, if you have loads of RAM, you can save a few times before it's saturated, with less RAM, it only works once or twice?

How I got to this conclusion:

I managed to save a game in Cyseal's cemetery without having activated any of the fights. After crashing 5 times in a row after digging up the sheep's corpse & fighting Helene, the other undead near the sheep and Jared, i decided to try and save after each fight, starting with Jared. It went fine after his death, saved, quit the game and was about do repeat the same process for the remaining 2 fights.

That's where I thought i was gonna loose it. I went for Helene, I killed her 7 times, and 6 times the game crashed when i tried saving after killing her. I almost gave up on the game because there was no way i could progress, everywhere i went, i just crashed at the first save.

Afterwards, i realised this happened because my toons gained a level and I spent the points before the save. I killed her again, saved before spending my points, and it worked. Spent my points, saved again, reload the game and killed the last undead. That's where i concluded i could save once and no more, but only if I did it between each single little "event" in the game.

Another example: after clearing the cemetery of all 3 fights, and managing to save, i quit, reload the game and the last save, went straight to the first floor of cecil's house to recruit the mage in the library, went back downstairs and tried saving the game again. It did not work. Tried several times after this, with the same result. When i saved the game in the library before talking to him, it worked. Quit game, launch, reload last save, recruit him, went downstairs, tried saving and game crashed again. Tried again after recruiting him but before leaving the library, and there it worked.

Is this fixed by switching to a 64bit OS? If so, it might be safer to format my HDD and switch versions on windows rather than waiting for a fix ... the first posts i see reporting this issue are dated from jan 2014... doesn't really give me hope it will be fixed soon.

On my system which complies the minimum requirements regarding RAM the game runs absolutely stable as long as I don't save. And I'm pretty sure the saving bug occurred after playing and saving several hours and times, but not in the first twenty hours. Yesterday I made some trials with different settings. It happened, that disabling the shadows made the game crash on every first saving attempt. Enabling Shadows and setting them to normal led to crash on third or more attempt. But because of the irregular numbers of attempts I do not know whether it is just an issue with shadow settings or something else in addition.

I already sent the report.zip to the support and hope they can fix this issue soon.

Are the people that experience Black Cove issues playing with version 1.0.67? Those issues should have been fixed in that version.

Maybe it has something to do with this?
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=516784#Post516784
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 15/07/14 03:13 PM
Salumba - are you running a 32bit or 64bit OS? My setup is above min. requirements and the game pushes settings to medium when I let it choose automatically, and i didn't have to wait hours and multiple saves before it first crashed.

I first crashed at the very beginning of my play through during the loading screen of the "tutorial" cave / dungeon right after the beach. Fresh install of the game, first game, etc...

I have a 32 bit system (XP).

BUT - I just did two things and could save a lot of times without any crash and quit D:OS normally. Unfortunately I didn't try to save between step #1 and step #2, so I suggest if you want to try this out to begin with step #2.

#1 I deleted all saves except 1 and the two quick saves. I now have only 3 saving slots in the one profile I made.

#2 I enabled V-Sync and Triple Buffering (which was activated automatically after I clicked on V-Sync).

So far it seems to work. On the first attempt it stuttered a bit, but saved successfully. I then quick saved 7 times in a row without crash.
Ok, this fix seems to have worked for me.

Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Enter: bcdedit /set pae ForceEnable

Restart your PC. I don't know the technical details, but basically it removes the 4GB cap for RAM on 32 bit systems.

Divinity's really impressive so far, hopefully this will fix the save issue for some of you and let you play it, good luck!

For more info check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx
Originally Posted by McDomble
Ok, this fix seems to have worked for me.

Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Enter: bcdedit /set pae ForceEnable

Restart your PC. I don't know the technical details, but basically it removes the 4GB cap for RAM on 32 bit systems.

Divinity's really impressive so far, hopefully this will fix the save issue for some of you and let you play it, good luck!

For more info check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

Didnt work for me, sure i am on the newest patch but still cant load in black cove, evrywhere else it works
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 15/07/14 05:39 PM
Just a follow-up on the above posts:

I tried the vsync / 3xbuff option, and it didn't work. When i loaded an actual save, it crashed first time i tried to quicksave. I also crashed systematically every time the game had to load something (in Cyseal, crashed when entering the murder scene at the inn, same with the place where you have to decide which guy you let live).

I tried to start a new game with vsync still on. I managed to kill the first 3 undeads, enter the tutorial dungeon and managed to quicksave about 3 times where the tutorial tells you how to. I then tried again further down the dungeon and there, i was stuck endlessly on the saving screen with spinning wheel and music playing. It just remained stuck for about 7 mins before i had it and closed the game. BUT here it didn't crash the game, if that makes any difference..

Have tried deleting the different saves in my folder, keeping only the last 2 manual saves. This didn't work. But this was a few days ago, before turning vsync on today, so technically i haven't tried your steps in that order / combination. And technically they're still ingame with steam's cloud.

Honestly, i've had it for now. I can bypass the save problem by saving constantly and quit/reloading the game after each one, but that's already ridiculous and way beyond what i would do with any other game. But that doesn't prevent the crashes from happening every time a new zone loads, so there's no point.

I'll get back next patch to see if it's fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions from other posters.

If you are and haven't sent a report yet please send us one using our support tool: OriginalSinAlpha/AnalysisTool_DOS.exe

Yes, I'm playing with 1.0.67. I was already on that version before I even got to Black Cove.

Also, I'm playing on Mac OS X, so I can't run your support tool. Do you have a Mac version?

Edit: Just checked, still having the problem on v1.0.72.0.

Can someone please explain what is meant by this? I don't have any such file on my computer, should I download it somewhere?
Originally Posted by Eridius

Yes, I'm playing with 1.0.67. I was already on that version before I even got to Black Cove.

Also, I'm playing on Mac OS X, so I can't run your support tool. Do you have a Mac version?

Edit: Just checked, still having the problem on v1.0.72.0.

Ok, sorry we've been busy with the patch. Can you send me your broken save. Compress it please and submit to platon.fomichev@larian.com

Also please reiterate the problem in the letter.

Thanks!
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 15/07/14 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Eridius

There are built in tools on the Mac to get the info that the Windows support tool collects. Here is what I was told (though apparently it is not needed, since Stauff1138 just asked for the save):

Crash report is more than enough to diagnose anything. Even if it looks weird it's very good stuff.

Crash report is redundant. All the ending part (list of libs) can be omitted.

Users should use "System Profiler" to collect system info.

To diagnose DOS hang user can launch "Activity Monitor" then select Divinity and press "Sample" button. Resulting sample should be mailed to developers.

Crashes are never lost. They are collected inside the "Console" application.

Originally Posted by JendaV
I don't have any such file on my computer, should I download it somewhere?

Yes, sorry; the start of the URL got cut off: D:OS support tool (for the PC version).
the new patch made it WORSE. with 1.0.67 it randomly crashed on save. now it crashes with every save. it also crashes when it tries to load homestead.

i downloaded the tool and ran the tests (everything passed of course) but it won't create a report. it gets stuck at approx. 50%. i even left it on over night, thinking it may need more time, but didn't work.

i'm very frustrated right now.

edit (forgot the specs):
Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU i5-3350P @3.1GHz
RAM 3560 MB
GPU GeForce GTX660 1536MB
Posted By: Xyst Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 16/07/14 05:38 AM
There are 3 priorities that need/must be addressed ASAP since they are game-breaking:

1) Memory Leak: until inevitable game crashes. From the time I load the game my CPU load will start at about 02 then go up steadily to about 73. The memory (private working set) from start of game to crash begins at about 22,000K and crashes at about 1,322,000K. It generally takes about 25 minutes of game-play before crashing (whether I save or not, but see saving the game below).

2) Saving the game: either endlessly saves or just plain crashes the game. Endless saves (when you try to save and the game freezes at the save screen until you ctr+alt+del) occur about every 4th save attempt. Before this patch, it would not actually save and you had to revert to loading a prior save file - after this patch it does seem to keep your save but you still have to exit and restart the game again (and with load times taking forever, it gets really annoying). Then there is the save that just plain crashes the game (it exits to your desktop with a windows pop-up).

3) FPS degradation: The game will start off at about 60 FPS, but very quickly (within 10 seconds) will drop over about 25 minutes until you are down to about 1 or 2 FPS, making the game unplayable.

These 3 issues (especially combined) make the game extremely hard to play and most people refuse to play at all until these issues are fixed (My roommate bought the game, played for about 3 days and quit and from the posts I have read so far in these forums, it looks like every single player has these 3 issues in some fashion as I have not seen 1 person post that they are not affected by these 3 issues).

I have verified the integrity of the game already (after this patch) and it was 100%.
I have used the D:OS game analysis tool. Everything passed and I generated a report which I emailed to Larian.

For others to compare, this is what my specs are-
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400@3.00GHz (2 cores)
Memory: 3070MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210 - 1024MB
I am having the same issue. The game either crashes when I attempt to save or it stays stuck on the save game screen. It really sucks playing for an hour or so (when I have limited time as is) and then I go to save and it crashes. I've had to replay the same battle about 10 times now. PLEASE FIX THE SAVING ISSUE!!!

EDIT: Specs on PC:
Windows 7 SP 1
Intel i5-2400 3.1 GHz
4 GB RAM
32 Bit
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 16/07/14 06:28 AM
Doesnt seem to be as consistent anymore since the last patch. Now its crashing on save 2 sometimes. Ridiculous.
Yup now I'm having that exact issue when I started a new party. Wonder whats going on with companies these days releasing bugged games on release day.
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 16/07/14 07:14 AM
Saw the patch, came back here to read the replies. Seems worse from what i see.

Decided to test it anyway: now i can't even quicksave 30 seconds after loading a game. Tested it 4 times in a row, at different moments (a few minutes into the game, after a combat, etc...)

Back to waiting for a fix.
In my case, Loading is fine but saving games causes crashes everytime. please fix it as soon as possible.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 16/07/14 07:58 AM
Just went for a couple of plays. Crashed every time I tried full save but the saves seem to be working?? I'll update in a few seconds...the first save worked anyway.

So saves work for me. They just crash to desktop each time now. I suppose that's better than losing progress.....???? Ahhh!!! So frustrating. There's an amazing game underneath all of this mess.

3rd time - same thing

And 4th....I think it's safe to assume this will be this way until the next patch. For me anyway.
Like I said earlier in this thread: Itエs probably faster changing to a 64-bit system than waiting for a fix/patch.

Anyone who has tried changing from 32-bit system to 64-bit system and can confirm that itエs a working solution?
Works for me now!
Saving to a network location, quick save took about 20 seconds longer than usual but worked fine, well done to all who worked on the patch and for good support generally!
How do you go about setting up network saves?
Sorry what I meant was, that my Documents folder had been redirected along time ago to another drive on my workplace network and this caused a problem with saves for me and some others.
still crashing but atleast it creates the save now before crashing
the profile is now being created, and I've been able to save, however the game still crashes to desktop when I'm entering the tutorial dungeon. is this an auto save issue?
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 16/07/14 07:43 PM

Try disabling autosaves in the options and entering the tutorial dungeon again. If it still crashes, autosaves were not the problem (or not the only problem), if it doesn't, then either autosaves or autosaves in combination with changing regions was the problem.

Renaming the above mentioned folder worked wonders for me. I have not crashed when saving/zoning since. Thanks.
Had the game for about a week now. I REALLY WANT TO PLAY IT.

I can see the saving issue has been somewhat resolved, now it just crashes when i try to go in or out of Homestead. I've been stuck on the murder quest since I got the game. Really want to hit Level 5 before I give up.

Please fix this awesome game.

Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2
Intel Quad Core CPU 2.4 GHz
4 GB Ram
32 Bit
Originally Posted by inkspawn
Had the game for about a week now. I REALLY WANT TO PLAY IT.

I can see the saving issue has been somewhat resolved, now it just crashes when i try to go in or out of Homestead. I've been stuck on the murder quest since I got the game. Really want to hit Level 5 before I give up.

Please fix this awesome game.

Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2
Intel Quad Core CPU 2.4 GHz
4 GB Ram
32 Bit

Have you read through this thread? There are plenty of tips how to fix the crashes and endless saving/loading issues.
Yeah, been on this thread more than the game.

Plus, this is a new problem as of the latest patch which uploaded when i turned my computer on an hour ago, but thanks for the advice.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 17/07/14 08:52 AM
Just lost about 40 mins. Now its back to not saving where its endlessly in the saving screen Not actually crashing. I think I'll just come back to this in about 3 weeks. Hopefully something is done. Furious.
Originally Posted by RtM
I think I'll just come back to this in about 3 weeks.

Yup. Back to playing my other games...

frown
Originally Posted by inkspawn
Originally Posted by RtM
I think I'll just come back to this in about 3 weeks.

Yup. Back to playing my other games...

frown

The mother in law is staying in the room with my desktop for a few days, so i can't play it anyway. My Laptop is 64 bit, but isn't a particularly powerful machine, thought about playing divinity on that, but the screen isn't that big either, and don't have a great table for it...

Maybe it'll be fixed by Monday... It is making think it's time to upgrade my desktop though... frown
this game does whatever it wants. yesterday the quicksaves worked but manual saves crashed. today it's the opposite. just lost hours of progress. this is more than frustrating.
I'm struggling with this issue for a week now and this become more than annoying. The game is really greate but I can't play it like that. So I'll just be waiting for a fix and play something else meantime.
Game still crashes on save. Started a new game, played a bit and saved fine right before the very first battle with skeletons, then tried to save immediately after the battle and the game crashed. Ran the game again, loaded the save from just before the battle, again fought skeletons, tried to save - crashed again.
Game is still nearly unplayable. Quicksave is working, but the loading is causing freeze (endless load screen), or crashes. Autosave is still causing crash. waiting for the normal patch.

Sorry for my English.
Hello,

I have the same problem divided into two forms :
* the game crashes sometimes on save (the client exits)
* the quicksave saves indefinitely, without stopping ever.
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 19/07/14 07:46 AM
Just for those who wonder, i tried starting a new game to see if the load/save issue remained after the few patches. It does. Quick & manual save both freeze and/or crash the game. And unfortunately, it doesn't actually save when the game crashes, like I have read in some posts above. Maybe it's just me though.

I'm starting to wonder if they're even capable of fixing it.

Also experiencing this problem, although on a 64bit system (Win8.1 Update 1). Have been in contact with Larian via email, but apart from recommending disabling SLi (which has made no difference) they haven't been able to suggest anything useful.

Have been following development of this game for ages (and played the hell out of the previous entries in the series) and had been rather looking forward to playing it, but at present I'm spending more time looking through these forums and this thread than actually playing the game. Crashing on save seems to be the sort of issue that one would think would be caught during playtesting...
Ok. so Iv'e been desperately searching for a way to fix the save crash/loop problem. Patches didn't fix them but i think i might have found a temporary solution. The problem with the save crashing occurs when one save overwrites another. So in the game settings, i changed the quicksave number to 8, and in-game, once i reached the 7th quicksave, i deleted all the previous ones except the latest one. This allowed me to once again keep saving . Iv'e been playing like this for 2 hours without any crashes. It might not work for everyone but it's worth a shot.
I wonder if all this crashing and file writing-overwriting has anything to do with Permissions??? Try running the .exe "As an Administrator" and see if that solves anything. You could also try installing the game somewhere other than Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders or even root C:\ directory. I install some things into C:\Users\"Username"\Apps, where Apps is a folder I made for random programs.

My friend and I have been playing co-op ever since v1.0.36 original release and neither of us has experienced a SINGLE crash in neither Co-Op Mode nor Single Player Mode. He has a 3570K @ 4.4Ghz, R9 290 (overclocked), 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 8.1 Update 1. What I have is in my sig.
I am also having the issue were the game just keeps saving forever. I am no game programmer or anything, but could the issue here being that people just don't have enough RAM for this? As stated above from Monarch, both him and his friend don't have issues with 8GB. I on the other hand with 4 cant save the game, yet the game run completely smooth on the settings on put it on.

Maybe the problem with saving is how much of the world is loaded at once (I assume it is a lot the furthest I've gotten is a little bit in the graveyard after the town) and there are no (real) loading screens before or after, so maybe with the lack of RAM people have a problem with saving all of this massive world at once? I could also be completely wrong, this is just a guess.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 20/07/14 06:58 PM
Any news on when the next update will be and if a fix for the save bug will be included?
I'm having the same problem as every one else here. The game crashes on saving randomly. Usually it's been working fine for a hour or so... than *bang*! Sometimes, it also crash on loading.

I'm running the game on a Win-Vista 32 bits machine.

I hope they fix the problem soon... it's *very* annoying.
I've solved the problem with the save crash bug following the instructions posted by the user Boston in page 2.

It works fine for me.

Originally Posted by Boston

My System:
Windows 7 32-bit
8GB Ram (2.92GB usable)
AMD Radeon HD 6800

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:

This advice step 1-2 help my save crash
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 21/07/14 08:06 PM
You are both my heroes. Tested the first step alone and was able to load areas multiple times without a crash and I am currently on my 4 save. 2 quick saves and two full. It's amazing. Thank you smile

Today was the first time I quit the game because I ran out of time. Not out of pure frustration or a crash. thankyou
Almost certainly this is a memory management/overrun issue that Larian needs to fix. All the 'fixes' suggested here (PAE/LAA) simply act to ameliorate the symptoms rather than treat the cause by giving the game process access to a larger chunk of memory, therefore delaying the onset of crashes. The fact that these crashes are occurring on save/load leads me to suspect that data from the previous session isn't being flushed properly.

In my case, with a 64-bit OS and 16GB of RAM, I suspect that I am experiencing these crashes with the same frequency as those of you on x86 systems or with less RAM primarily due to the high resolution I'm running the game at (5760x1080), which is requiring a larger working set. I'd be interested to hear if anyone playing on surround or high-res (eg. 4K) systems is also experiencing the same frequency of crashes.
Posted By: RtM Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 22/07/14 09:11 PM
Havent had a single crash since pulling off that "hack"
Posted By: flt Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 23/07/14 02:19 PM
First of all, this is a very nice, enjoyable game. Congratulations!

The save issues have NOT been solved with any update, and when so many users report them one should expect Larian studios to finally solve that extremely annoying problem.

As it is now, the game simply hangs at every some save operations, and this means:
- every time a stop by task manager and complete restart provoking your patience
- every time a pure waste of time and boring need to replay 10-15 minutes (if you save more frequently you just get the hangs faster, if you save later, you may have lost half an hour)

This way this game is just no useable at all, and I expect Larian studios to change that fast.
It is not our task to find murky, doubtful workarounds (or even some requiring readjusting after using them) for the most basic functionality of a game.

Come on guys: fix the basics before doping anything else!

Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 23/07/14 05:01 PM
Could we please have an update on the load/save issue? Just an acknowledgment this is looked at. Because when seeing the patchnotes claming the save bug has been fixed, I fear for the priority of this issue.

We only want to play your game!
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 24/07/14 12:11 AM

It is still being looked at.
I've registered just to say "hack" worked for me and I can enjoy this fantastic game. (other stuff didn't work). I hope it will be fixed soon though
My game still continue to freeze when ever there is a loading, saving or changing zones going on. Ran the Support tool and seems like my problem is because of my hardware. I get a failed check on RAM since the game recommends 2048 mb RAM and the support tool says I only have 2047 smile.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 24/07/14 08:41 AM

The support tool isn't meant to be a comprehensive test, just a quick check (2GB RAM is on the low side, but the 1MB difference is insignificant).
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 24/07/14 01:41 PM
Allright thanks for the update Raze.
has Larian given up? it's been a week since the last patch and the problem is not solved yet.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 25/07/14 04:30 AM

No, of course not. Most have taken a couple week break, though (after working long hours for an extended period, as the release was delayed a couple times to add more things), and will be back August 4th. This is a high priority issue, but everyone's vacations were already delayed until after the patch.
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 25/07/14 07:56 AM
I hope they enjoy their well deserved vacation. At least we have an approx. date.

I'll come back later. Ta-ta!
Hi there!

Well, i have several questions and as it is w-e i hope some nice forumers or mods/team Larian could help me out.

To put it simply, i am experiencing this so-called Black Cove issues. I tried to read every information i could get from this thread but response seems mixed between a general issue of save and my own issue.

So, i didn't really get which solution was proposed for which issues.
If someone could be kind enough to make a post or sticky with the appropriate solution to try i'd be grateful. As, i am no english and i don't really understand every things being said (technical stuff).

Anyway, my issue is peculiar as i can't get out of Black Cove but can save (game is crashing before uploading the next area, i can only go to the end of time..but same issue, i can go anywhere but here).

The thing is it isn't my first playthrough and i had no problem getting out etc of Black Cove the first time i went there.

I am on steam so i guess i've got the last patch? If that's the case then it didn't solve the problem at all. In my case it's even worse since..i didn't have the Black Cove issue in the first place.

So, other question, if is that problem only an occurence with Black Cove? Or is there another zone i should avoid. I have others saves before i went in, if i go in Black Cove will the same result happens each time? (dumb question, i know but i don't get how i had no issue on my first playthrough and now..i do).

On another side it annoys me since, i did that playthrough to get all achievements..and if i don't do Black Cove i'll miss some.

Thanks for reading and i do hope you'll get a solution soon enough Larian.
Your game, i won't say it is the best game i've ever played. But it's a work of love and you can feel that love in every pixel. You're really worth respecting and having been on your Kickstarter, i am really proud if i've contributed a bit (btw i don't find my nick or name in the credits but who cares ?:p).

Great, great game. For me to create several playthrough and trying to have every achievements.
I can't remember the last game i did that for.

No, of course not. Most have taken a couple week break, though (after working long hours for an extended period, as the release was delayed a couple times to add more things), and will be back August 4th. This is a high priority issue, but everyone's vacations were already delayed until after the patch.

sorry raze, didn't think about vacation time. let's hope they enjoy their vacation, recharge their batteries and come back full of creativity. I know from experience how it feels to work long hours for an extended period of time.
Just Bumping the post to keep this bug near the top.... Please don't forget about us after you get back from vacation!

Looking forward to playing the game as soon as this save bug is resolved!

i finally gave in and switched my system to 64 bit. NOT ONE CRASH! Larian, if you ever needed a confirmation. that it's mainly the 32 bit systems, here it is. interesting side aspect: my wife still uses a 32 bit system, which barely meets the minimum requirements, but since we're running the gamee (and all the saves) on my machine, she can join and play allong with absolutely no problems.
Hello Larian & all,

I enjoyed D:OS for already more than 90 hours on Steam, from my 32 bits Win7 PC laptop, I went to Hilberheim, chased Goblins, took my time, got delighted by the game. The problems I got were happening when trying to save for the third time while in a game session, computer would return to Windows or stay on the save screen forever, but well, I got used to it, never saving more than twice then closing the game and restarting it after 2nd save.

Unfortunately the issue I'm facing now is related to loading maps. I decided to go back to Cyseal to make sure I haven't forgotten anything there. It crashed several times when I used the 'teleport' way, then I went to Luculla's brigde to go back to Cyseal and eventually it worked.

Problem? Now that I want to go back to Luculla, no way smile Either via teleport or trying to cross the bridge, the game crash and returns to Windows.

I can't play too much with my laptop's settings, ahem, it's my work laptop. So I can't try the 32 bits trick I saw around.

Would any of you be able to recommend me something that could help me to continue enjoying the game? It's been ~5 days I can't play anywhere else than Cyseal and I really want to finish the game smile

Thanks for any hint, have a nice time playing!
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 31/07/14 12:11 PM

You could try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and renaming the 'Divinity Original Sin' subfolder.
This folder contains the saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Deleting or renaming it will get the game to recreate it on startup; playing the game from a different Windows user account would effectively do the same thing.
After that, start D:OS, create a new profile, exit and copy your latest save from the renamed folder to the newly created profile's savegames folder.
If that doesn't help, you can delete the new D:OS folder and rename your original back again.
Posted By: fonq Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 31/07/14 12:29 PM
Francil - i had the same issue, with loading screens ( while saving, loading a map, etc..) and the best workaround i found was to save exactly in front of where you wanted to go. So try saving just in front of the bridge, quit the game, relaunch it and try again from your last save.

That's how i'm bypassing the save game crash issue, and how i managed to get to HOmestead / end times for the first time. The game would crash during load screen for homestead / EOT wherever i tried to access it from (healer's house, burning field @ church, room at the inn in Cyseal). So i saved a the game just in front of the room @Cyseal's inn after asking the guard to open the door. Left the game, relaunched it, entered the room directly and it worked).
Thanks Raze & Fonq,

I'm gonna try Raze's advice, because I already do as Fonq describe, I've saved just in front of Cyseal's wooden bridge to Luculla and tried a dozen of times to cross it, loading and clicking on the bridge.

Thanks for your quick help, guys!
I tried two solutions suggested for another game, that frequently crashed on loading attempts for many players. Saving and Loading is similar, so I tried it for Divinity too. It seems to work, but I'm not certain about which of the two helped, because I haven't played a few days until today. So maybe it's another thing but also maybe it helps:

I installed an older version of the ati video driver, 12.8 to be exact. I previously had the latest one, 14.4 and suffered from the saving bug.

Steam Users: Open the Library, right click on Divinity -> Properties -> click on Set launch settings and put -swa into the window.

For the Standalone version I don't know the precise command, -softwareaudio worked for the other game. Right click on the desktop symbol of Divinity -> Properties and put -softwareaudio at the end of the path where your exe is located.

Next time you start Divinity it's possible that in the first few minutes and especially on the first saving attempt performance is worse, but it should save correctly.

What should this command do: it forces the use of generic software audio device, if the saving issue is sound card related, it maybe helps.

I'd suggest to first try the -swa/-softwareaudio thing and if this doesn't help, try installing an older graphics card driver.
If these 32 bit saving issues aren't fixed soon I think I will want a refund.
Posted By: Raze Re: save still causing crash after latest patch - 03/08/14 02:44 AM

When Larian gets back from vacation (which were delayed when the game release was moved back, and again until after the patch) on Monday, this is one of several high priority issues to be dealt with. There have already been several patches with memory and other optimizations, and there will be more.
Hey

Just created an account to tell you that I experienced the save crash bug. Thankfully the information posted by the user Boston on page 2 solved the problem. Today I was able to play the game for 3 hours without a single crash claphands
Originally Posted by bezner27
Hey

Just created an account to tell you that I experienced the save crash bug. Thankfully the information posted by the user Boston on page 2 solved the problem. Today I was able to play the game for 3 hours without a single crash claphands

Yeah I did this to even be able to start Wasteland 2 today smile
After that I tried to play DOS and played several hours straight now while loading and saving and changing zones all without crashes and hangups smile

Here is what needs to be done:

http://windows7themes.net/en-us/32-...increase-ram-used-by-single-application/
© Larian Studios forums