Larian Studios
Posted By: Shabba Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 25/08/17 09:03 AM
Hi,

I just bought DOS: EE a couple of days ago (absolutely love it so far) and I haven't really seen anything game breaking bug wise but this one certainly hinders my experience a bit.

Whenever I'm in any type of menu (conversations, character info/inventory windows, even when I hit escape and going through game menus etc.) my cursor will still highlight objects in the background. So for example, if I go into anyone character info window or conversation, if there is any type of interactable object behind said window, it'll change the cursor to the little chest icon or speech bubble (or applicable icon) and I can't click until I find the sweet spot that makes the cursor normal. When choosing skills/talents the tabs are insanely fickle and take multiple clicks to switch to. While looking at skills/talents/traits it seems to act almost as if I'm still looking at my armor and will preview the piece. While in game options it won't actually highlight anything and make menu items unclickable though. All this happens on any part of the UI. Even choosing what skills to use (though I generally just push the keybind).

I've tried looking for a solution the past few days and have come up with nothing. Either this is normal and no cares at this point, im the only one or I don't know how to word it proberly to find.

I feel like I've tried almost everything. Messed with graphic settings; UI scaling, resolution, windowed, fakefullscreen, fullscreen. Deleted my UI profile and let the game make a new one on start up. Tried using the Cmd key on start up and tick the boxes in the window that pops up. Even tried verifying files as a last ditch effort. Nothing. Any assistance in this matter would be super helpful. Thanks for reading my essay and any help.

Specs:

Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15"
I-7 2.5ghz (Turbo boost to 3.5ghz or something close)
Radeon R9 M370X 2Gb
16gb RAM
OSX

I also purchased and installed through steam.
Posted By: Raze Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 25/08/17 09:35 AM

Do you have a gamepad you can try?

Can you use Bootcamp to try the Windows or Linux version?

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anything mouse related?

Are there any mouse accessibility or compatibility options you can try enabling, changing or disabling?

Someone else recently reported this starting to happen after they got a new mouse and updated Sierra from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6. It has been reported a couple other times, though to a lesser extent (only clicking through parts of the UI, or only if there was something behind that could be interacted with).

Try disabling the deferred renderer for the game; that helped some people with input lag in D:OS Classic. It is more likely to cause a crash on startup than help, but it's easy to change back if so.

In the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition\graphicSettings.lsx' file, search for the term 'RenderDeferred', and in the second row after that, change the one to a zero, and save the file.

<attribute id="MapKey" value="RenderDeferred" type="22" />
<attribute id="Type" value="0" type="5" />
<attribute id="Value" value="1" type="4" />
Posted By: Shabba Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 25/08/17 10:12 AM
Dang. I am running on 10.12.6 smirk

I don't have access to gamepad of any sorts and I haven't tried running on my Windows bootcamp because i'm currently deployed and don't have the most stable internet. It took me two days to download in the first place. ha. Don't wanna lose my save either, unless it saves on the cloud then I guess it's not a big deal. Just a pain to get the game again.

Only programs running when I launch the game is steam itself and finder. I've gone through mouse options and accessibility options but nothing stands out to be something that would cause an issue. Tried several configurations.

I also tried the deferred renderer and as you stated, the game just won't launch, stays on a black screen then crashes.
Posted By: Raze Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 25/08/17 12:51 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else to suggest, and the other person who reported this did not email back with an update if they were able to fix this (they were also quite thorough with their initial troubleshooting).

Saves are compatible between OSX, Windows and Linux, so even without cloud saves enabled, you would be able to manually copy the save folder over.
Each save is a folder in the '~/Documents/Larian Studios/Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition/PlayerProfiles/<ProfileName>/Savegames_patch' folder.
Posted By: Shabba Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 25/08/17 02:51 PM
Well alrighty then. I certainly appreciate you replying!
I've got the same problem on my 2017 iMac with MacOS Sierra.
I am also having this exact same problem with the Enhanced Edition from GOG, running on a late 2013 iMac with MacOS Sierra.

I have tried enabling/disabling every single graphical setting (whether or not I thought it was related to my problem), enabled/disabled all of the various tweaks and options in the launcher, tried every UI or camera setting, alternated between fullscreen-windowed-fake fullscreen, and even changed resolutions. Nothing has helped in the slightest.

As the OP described, what is happening does not appear to be related to mouse lag or the clicking input itself. Every click is being registered. What is apparently happening is that the cursor is clicking THROUGH the UI windows. Lets say, for example, that I open my character screen and click on the Abilities tab, which overlays the equipped gear tab. When I drag the cursor over any of the ability buttons, as it moves the buttons beneath it rapidly flicker on and off; if I click the mouse while the button beneath is highlighted, everything works as expected. However, if I click when the button is not highlighted then the click is actually registered on the tab BENEATH the abilities tab, which results in clicking on my equipment instead, even though I cannot see it.

Likewise, if I select a healing skill from my quickbar and try to apply it to one of my characters by clicking their portraits, half of the time the cursor will actually click THROUGH their portraits to the ground beneath.

In either case, getting the cursor to highlight the desired sections of the UI can be very frustrating as you have to keep moving it around trying to get it to highlight the desired part. This happens in every section of the UI where part of the interface is overlaid on top of another. If this were a real time game, it would be unplayable. As it is, it is merely aggravating, but it enough so that I might quit playing.

There must be a solution to this.
This problem is actually becoming quite infuriating.
I am also experiencing this, also on 10.12.6. Like the others, I've tried fake-fullscreen, windowed, deferred rendering, and a number of the CMD-enabled tweaks, but nothing seems to help.

The issue is quite bizarre, it seems like some set of pixels in the ui elements are not recognized as being in front of the game world. When you hover over these pixels, no tooltips will popup (or rather, tooltips seem to be determined by the underlying world elements), and clicks fall through to the game world. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to which pixels are affected.

I have a feeling it's related to the resolution scaling on retina displays.
I'm getting awfully tired of clicking on skills in my hotbar and having my characters run away from battle because the game things I was clicking on the ground.

Doesn't look like we're likely to see a fix at this point. Hopefully the eventual Mac version of the sequel won't have this problem as well.
Posted By: bobro2 Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 10/10/17 08:02 AM
Having the same issue. Seems like some of the windows are clickable only sometimes. And hovering over items/buttons in inventory is blinking. I can provide video if needed. Please look at this issue, game is great but almost unplayable at this state. It looks like bottom conversation window works fine. But inventory window and combat log window are definitely bugged.

Steam - Divinity: Original Sin EE v2.0.119.430

My specs:
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB
Posted By: Tiago Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 04/12/17 04:54 PM
I too have the same issue, it's like Clocknova described, but it's not only the clicks that goes through the UI, mouse hovering also goes through, when I hover the mouse in the inventory things that are on the ground beneath the inventory screen trigger the hover dialog. What seems to be happening is that things that are on the foreground do not stop mouse events for things beneath. I must say that after a while it becomes SUPER annoying.

My specs:
macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
iMac (27-inch, 2017)
3,5 GHz Intel Core i5
24 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 575 4GB
Posted By: Phroon Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 29/06/18 03:57 AM
I just started playing Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition on my iMac and have the same issue. After a ton of testing of different settings, I've come to the conclusion that this is a bug.

I've noticed the same thing as others, that you can hover over different parts of the overlay windows and in some positions it will go though to what is underneath. But what I noticed that I haven't seen others mention is that I can move my mouse a tiny fraction to get swap between layers without the cursor moving at all. For example, I can open up the inventory, switch to the skills tab, and then move the mouse a fraction of a pixel and see the highlight flash back and forth between skills and the things below it.

My best guess is there is some sort of rounding error/bit error in how the cursor positions are handled.

My specs:
macOS High Sierra 10.13.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Posted By: Phroon Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 29/06/18 10:33 PM
If there's anyone else out there looking for help with this, I found a workaround: Disable Mouse Acceleration.

You can run the following command in the terminal, log out and back in (or reboot) and mouse acceleration will be disabled.
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

To put it back you can go to the Mouse settings and adjust the Tracking speed (just clicking on the current value seems to work). An alternate method to restore is to get the value of the original setting before you change it to -1 with the following command:
defaults read .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling
And then put it back when you are done, this requires you to log out and back in again (or reboot, if you so choose).

Your mouse will feel really different in this mode, but at least you won't click though windows anymore.
Posted By: Raze Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 30/06/18 08:57 AM

Thank you for the update. I'll be sure to suggest this if anyone else reports this issue.
Or, you know, they could just fix this bug.
Posted By: Wykat Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 31/01/19 06:00 AM
What seemed to fix my problem with it was changing from "Fake Fullscreen" to "Fullscreen" in the graphics settings.
Posted By: akmotu Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 15/06/19 04:44 AM
I was also having this problem. Thanks, Phroon. This workaround did the job, indeed.
Posted By: Nadroj Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 02/08/19 06:19 PM
I'm running into this issue as well and _really_ can't play the game while the issue is present.
I've gone through basically everything I've found on line that even seems like it's related to this:
- defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1
- almost identical command that I saw somewhere but had larian in the command
- changing my mouse options in settings on my mac
- using the trackpad instead of my magic mouse 2
- using a crappy wired logitech mouse; surprisingly this did make it slightly better but still had isssues where it was strying to select things layered underneath the currently active window

Please note that it's not just trying to select items on the ground, for instance if I open the skills window in the inventory screen, I can't seem to expand any of the windows without clicking 20 or so times, since it keeps highlighting items that are being worn in the inventory screen.

This also has a HUGE impact on character creation screens as it stops the pop up explanation text from appearing over any descriptions.

System specs:
Macbook Pro (Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS 10.14.5
2.2 GHz intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Posted By: Raze Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 03/08/19 04:50 AM

Try pressing the CMD key on startup, then select 'Precise mouse tracking', or the other workarounds, to see if that makes any difference.
Posted By: Nadroj Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 06/08/19 12:04 PM
Ah yes, I had tried those as well. Precise mouse tracking does not fix this issue either.
Posted By: Nadroj Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 12/08/19 02:04 PM
Here are a couple of images that might make more sense as to what the issue is that I'm having:
https://ibb.co/khQzrmb
https://ibb.co/Nt1vjHj
Posted By: Raze Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 15/08/19 09:37 AM

I checked with the lead OSX programmer, and this is a known issue, related to the Mac mouse being "too precise". Unfortunately, he didn't know of any other workarounds for this issue. There is a fix for this in D:OS 2, which could be ported back to D:OS if there is ever another update.
Posted By: Nadroj Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 16/08/19 03:04 PM
Thanks for looking into it. It seems to me to be more along the lines of a layering issue for the different windows but I'm only a tester by trade not a programmer.

If I can ever wrestle the PC away from the wife I guess I'll be able to play this there and I'll keep an eye out for any updates.

Cheers
Posted By: Cezario Re: Cursor/Inventory selection bug...maybe? - 05/02/22 08:09 PM
Hey everyone!

Problem is actual in current days. Larian can u help we? Any help, patch, advice etc.
Steam version Dos:ee. MacOs Big Sur 11.4.

Cheers.
© Larian Studios forums