Larian Studios
Posted By: LightningLockey Music composer for D:OS2? - 31/08/15 09:54 PM
Who is going to be the next music composer for D:OS2 with the (tragically, unfortunate) passing of Kirill? Will we still be getting to listen to unused music tracks that he's made in this game?

http://www.pcgamer.com/divinity-composer-kirill-pokrovsky-has-died/
Posted By: Raze Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 31/08/15 10:30 PM

That has yet to be determined.
Posted By: Bearhug Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 11/09/15 08:37 PM
That was my very first thought as I heard the first time about a new Larian game as Kirill's soundtracks were truly an essential part of making their games immortal over all those years.

I am sure they will choose well and find someone who knows like Kirill to stir the emotions deeply with a variety of tunes. I never forget Kirill's tunes, especially his wonderful melancholic tunes which touched the heart in particular.

*cries at the memory of those wonderful pieces*

Damn Kirill, you are so very much missed! sad sad sad
Posted By: john carmack Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 14/09/15 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Bearhug
That was my very first thought as I heard the first time about a new Larian game as Kirill's soundtracks were truly an essential part of making their games immortal over all those years.

I am sure they will choose well and find someone who knows like Kirill to stir the emotions deeply with a variety of tunes. I never forget Kirill's tunes, especially his wonderful melancholic tunes which touched the heart in particular.

*cries at the memory of those wonderful pieces*

Damn Kirill, you are so very much missed! sad sad sad

Yes! Thats right!!

Sound is also an element that cannot be underestimated for D:OS2.
Posted By: Chaotica Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 14/09/15 02:15 PM
I love Kirill's work, really ! And I am going to miss it but Larian should not wait to much before hiring a new composer. Music composition is part of the artistic process, you cannot firts program the game and then think about chara-design. Same same with the music. I do undertand that Kirill was part of the team since DD but they have to move on and IMO the sooner the better.
Music isn't something you can patch once the game is finished.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 14/09/15 02:44 PM
Finding a good and educated composer is harder than you think. Kirill was a professional who had studied composition in the Moscow Conservatory. His tracks are always put together very well in a technical sense. Very good voice-leading, orchestration, logical usage of material etc. He was one of the best in the video game industry and I'm not saying that lightly. It's not technically true that composition for a video game or film is part of the overall process, trust me, I'm a composer (currently studying in the conservatory) as well. John Williams has said that he doesn't even look at the script when he's composing for a film and that tells you something. Music, in its very core, is illusion and sleight-of-hand. That means you CAN patch the music in after the game is completed. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on the concept, ideas and technical skills of the composer. I do hope they find a worthy successor to Kirill.
Posted By: melianos Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 15/09/15 04:06 PM
Paul Anthony Romero (and/or Rob King) ?

It's a very different style, but as a Homm die-hard fan...
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 15/09/15 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by melianos

Paul Romero is also a professionally trained musician. His invention is very good and he can play with timbres very well. He would be a nice choice. His technical skills are lacking in places, but that's mostly fine. It's mainly because he has been trained as a pianist much more than as a composer.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 15/09/15 04:37 PM
I do not know much about the production of computer games or movies.

But in some cases they made the music first. Like in "the good, the bad and the ugly". (The best western movie of all times from my point of view.) The music was played during production so the actors get into the right mood when acting.

Music is also very importand in a computer game. But unlike a movie, you cannot get the timing between music and action perfectly unless you make a cut scene. Things like
- How long does the player take to read a text and push continue?
- How long does he wait to decide what he uses in his turn in combat
- After entering the map, how long does it take until the player moves to a point where something happens?

Anyway, I am sure they find a good composer.
Posted By: melianos Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/09/15 04:34 PM
It might be a good idea for a blog post from Sven when they finally decide on who will compose the music, and what kind of music it will be smile
Posted By: Mirkk Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/09/15 05:09 PM
I'd like to suggest Justin Bell, he did a wonderful job with Pillars of Eternity.

Kai Rosenkranz would also be another suggestion, his work doing the soundtracks for the Gothic titles is also a fitting style for this universe.

I don't think anyone can ever replace Kirill but people can certainly attempt to honor his legacy
Posted By: Von_Rotten Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/09/15 05:36 PM
It might be a good idea for a blog post from Sven when they finally decide on who will compose the music, and what kind of music it will be smile

I vote for fantasy themed polka music. up
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/09/15 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Mirkk
I'd like to suggest Justin Bell, he did a wonderful job with Pillars of Eternity.

lol, no. His technical skills are abysmal and his invention is boring and unsalvageable. He is nowhere near Kirill and isn't going to be a good successor. I have nothing more to add really.
Posted By: Kevinik Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/09/15 06:05 PM
I vote that most of the original soundtrack gets reused as a tribute and just add some new songs. The new songs having elements that reminds us of the old themes.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/09/15 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kevinik
I vote that most of the original soundtrack gets reused as a tribute and just add some new songs. The new songs having elements that reminds us of the old themes.

So, your idea is to have nothing which reflects the new atmosphere or new themes of Original Sin 2?
Posted By: deathmachinept Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 26/09/15 11:58 AM
Some pieces could be arranged by "Pedro Camacho" he has worked in Witcher 3, Civilizations V and is currently the composer of Star Citizen and I know him personally smile
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 27/09/15 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kevinik

That's what they did for D:OS1 already. It's starting to get really noticable, and not in a good way, if they do that *again*
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 28/09/15 10:04 PM
I think Kai Rosenkranz would be a good fit. He's extremely talented, in the "reach" of Larian and he would pay the due respect to Kirill, I'm sure.
Posted By: Kevinik Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 11:28 AM
I trust Larian to make a fine choice.
Posted By: Thiev Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 11:52 AM

Oh. I do love the music from original M&M series (damn you Ubisoft... what have you done to it T_T) and a soundtrack inspired both by Divinity and M&M games could be wonderful.

Whoever Larian will choose, I hope the music will feel more like 'successor' than something completely different and original.

What do you guys think about Jeremy Soule?
Posted By: Pyrofox Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 12:24 PM
Jeremy Soule's work in the Elder Scrolls & Guild Wars games speaks for itself. You can't really go wrong with him on a fantasy game but he would likely be the most expensive composer Larian could go for.
Posted By: The Centaur Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 12:28 PM
You can add my vote for Jeremy Soule as well!
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 12:50 PM
I'm totally against Jeremy Soule.
Posted By: The Centaur Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by LordCrash

I'd love to hear your explanation of why... Jeremy Soule has so much experience in the field and such a wide variety of soundtracks to his name (I absolutely love the Icewind Dale one)... given the large scope I can understand that you dislike a few of them, but that doesn't explain why you'd be completely against Jeremy Soule?

Weren't you the one who recommended Kai Rosenkranz, whose only real experience in the field is the Gothic/Risen series (which are all fairly similar) ? I really hope the D:OS2 soundtrack will sound nothing like those!
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by The Centaur

I'd love to hear your explanation of why... Jeremy Soule has so much experience in the field and such a wide variety of soundtracks to his name (I absolutely love the Icewind Dale one)... given the large scope I can understand that you dislike a few of them, but that doesn't explain why you'd be completely against Jeremy Soule?

Well, for once I think it should be a European composer since Divinity is a traditional European franchise. Another reason is that I want a composer who would honor Kirill's legacy and spin the new soundtrack about the already existing sound patterns for the series. I don't think Soule would be willing to do so, given his track record. He's to "big" for that, too well known. He would probably want to do his own stuff completely and I don't like this idea. And then, from a pure musical point of view I think that much of his music is too pompous in the grand picture of things. While he can write great epic music, I don't like his more ambient, calm and silent tracks that much. But of course, that's on opinion thing.

Weren't you the one who recommended Kai Rosenkranz, whose only real experience in the field is the Gothic/Risen series (which are all fairly similar) ? I really hope the D:OS2 soundtrack will sound nothing like those!

It's funny how you want me to explain my reasons while you say that you don't want Kai on the project without giving any real reasons yourself for that... wink

Do I want that DOS sounds exactly like Gothic? Of course not. But Kai surely had the talent and skills to write genuine stuff for DOS, including and building upon Kirill's legacy imo.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:20 PM
Like many movie/video game composers, Jeremy Soule is too focused on the orchestra without an idea what to do with it. People confuse orchestral with "epic" and "fantasy", for some reason, while it's actually generic as all hell. Compare this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-pqRMasPQ to anything Jeremy Soule has written.

Ben Houge did a wonderful job with Arcanum with only a string quartet and a few percussion elements. Gaming needs more chamber music, its oversaturation with the orchestra leads nowhere, not to mention they can't seem to get out of the early/mid Romanticism idea (not technique) of music which, at this point, is banal.
Posted By: Windemere Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:25 PM
Shostakovich! <3 <3

*edit* - I actually had the pleasure of watching the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform that very piece. So awesome to watch those string players sweat through the movement.
Posted By: The Centaur Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:28 PM
Okay, I understand your reasoning against Jeremy Soule now, although there is one small point I have to disagree with:

... Divinity is a traditional European franchise.

This is definitely no longer true. Larian currently has offices not only in Gent, Dublin and St. Petersburg, but also in Quebec and Sacramento. Besides, Larian is by origin a Belgian company, so if you want to look at the company's origins, shouldn't you look for a good Belgian composer? wink
(but, honestly, I really don't care about the nationality of the composer, as long as (s)he is able to do a good job)

It's funny how you want me to explain my reasons while you say that you don't want Kai on the project without giving any real reasons yourself for that... wink

I did... I clearly stated that his only experience in the field is the Gothic/Risen series, and they all sound very similar. I have absolutely no indications that he is capable of producing a good soundtrack for D:OS2 that does not sound like any of those, and I am unwilling to simply take the risk. I'd rather put my faith in someone who has already proven that he is capable of handling the variety.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by The Centaur
Okay, I understand your reasoning against Jeremy Soule now, although there is one small point I have to disagree with:

... Divinity is a traditional European franchise.

This is definitely no longer true. Larian currently has offices not only in Gent, Dublin and St. Petersburg, but also in Quebec and Sacramento. Besides, Larian is by origin a Belgian company, so if you want to look at the company's origins, shouldn't you look for a good Belgian composer? wink
(but, honestly, I really don't care about the nationality of the composer, as long as (s)he is able to do a good job)

Well, Quebec is in Franconian Canada which is traditionally much more European than typcial North American. I'd even say the Quebec area has more in common with France than with the US (was there on holidays once myself)... wink

If they find a very good Belgian composer, why not? I just don't know any. Kirill himself was Russian though.

I did... I clearly stated that his only experience in the field is the Gothic/Risen series, and they all sound very similar. I have absolutely no indications that he is capable of producing a good soundtrack for D:OS2 that does not sound like any of those, and I am unwilling to simply take the risk. I'd rather put my faith in someone who has already proven that he is capable of handling the variety.

Maybe you want to google Kai. He kickstarted a new solo album last year and there are some tracks that are very different to how the Gothic series sounded.
Posted By: Pyrofox Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:40 PM
This suggestion is out there, to say the least, and I'm not necessarily saying it's a good idea. I'd be intrigued to be a fly on the wall during a discussion between Larian & Darren Korb though. Darren is new to the industry, having only done two video game soundtracks so far, for Bastion & Transistor. Both games had phenomenal soundtracks however, earning praise across the industry from players & critics alike. The Transistor soundtrack in particularly is just mind blowingly good, one of my favourites ever.

Like I said, this suggestion is out there because none of Darren's previous work is remotely appropriate for a fantasy series like Divinity. If he was interested in going in a completely different direction though, I'd love to hear what he can do.

Here's the Transistor soundtrack if you haven't heard it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU

Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:43 PM
What do you mean with "this suggestion is out there"?
Posted By: Pyrofox Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:44 PM
Crazy, weird, odd, risky.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:46 PM
Why do you think composers can compose in one style only, ever? Also, there is no such thing as "fantasy music", trust me. Music is illusion and sleight of hand. If a composer knows what he's doing, you don't have to worry about it not sounding "fantasy enough".
Posted By: Pyrofox Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:47 PM
I don't think that, which is why I suggested him.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lacrymas
Why do you think composers can compose in one style only, ever? Also, there is no such thing as "fantasy music", trust me. Music is illusion and sleight of hand. If a composer knows what he's doing, you don't have to worry about it not sounding "fantasy enough".

Well, while I totally agree with you, I think it's a bit unfair to compare video game composers to a musical genius like Shostakovich...

I mean, if somebody is as good as Shostakovich, they usually don't compose for video games. Simple. wink

What I think is more/most important for the specific case of DOS 2 is that you need somebody who could build upon the specific sound Kirill created for DOS and the whole Divinity series while carefully integrating new ideas. I don't know how many good composers are willing and capable of actually doing so "the right way".
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:57 PM
I wasn't implying that they have to be a genius like Shostakovich, I was using his symphony as an example of an orchestra used right. Also, most 20th century composers composed for film, along with "pure" music. There is nothing stopping them from also composing for video games. Video games aren't shameful in any way for them to turn them down.
Posted By: The Centaur Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 02:58 PM
How about Gustavo Santaolalla then? He did a great job on The Last Of Us, and has lots of experience... then again, Naughty Dog had Sony backing them, so they had the budget. Would Santaolalla be too expensive?
Posted By: vometia Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 03:06 PM
A lot of Kirill's work reminded me a bit of Hawkwind. So maybe they should get Hawkwind to do the soundtrack. laugh

Seriously, though, I'm not sure who could possibly live up to Kirill. He'll be a very, very hard act to follow and I don't envy whoever has to do it...
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 03:10 PM
I don't think money is the biggest issue tbh. It's more about the creative stuff. Larian also probably wants to establish a long-term relationship if possible. I mean, Kirill was no "man on hire", he was a part of the Larian team.

What I found special about Kirill (beyond his pure composing skills) was that his soundtracks for Divinity (especially for DOS) covered an extremely huge range of different sounds, instruments and atmospheres. In most games there is one specific sound and a given set of instruments that are use for everything, but Kirill managed to make a ton of partially very different tracks and still put them together to one consistent soundtrack. I can't think of many game soundtracks that could be compared to that...

Man, I really just want Kirill back. The best die always way too young... frown
Posted By: Thiev Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 03:13 PM
Michiel van den Bos is another name that comes to mind. Many might remember him for Unreal soundtrack, but music for Age of Wonders and Overlord series is also his.

If nothing else, we'll get a nice collection of music here in this topic smile
Posted By: Dr Koin Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 03:21 PM
Soule is kind of like Zimmer : very good music, with not a lot of heart. I mean, the man knows what he is doing, but seems afraid or unwilling to go that extra miles, that do that "all out" thing that Kirill did. Apart from a few very memorable theme ( ES comes to mind, with a spectacular take on it for Skyrim ), Soule's compositions are mostly ... ah, how to put this. Travel musics ? It goes very well with the hiking aspect of the ES games, but you wouldn't listen to that otherwise. Sometimes it's kinda heroic, but again "generic" heroic.

Kirill had that spark that Larian never tried ( or seemed to try ) to extinguish : his genre was all over the place ! A DOS ost is a patchwork of musical compositions that doesn't seem to have a clearly established genre, but that was a big part of Larian games atmosphere.

[edit: Ah! while I typed this, LordCrash expressed the same opinion of Kirill's work :p]

I agree too that nothing should prevent a reknown composer from doing musics for video games. In fact, Zimmer did the ost of some Call of Duty. After all, CoD games tend to emulate the 7th art, so it's not really a surprise.
I really wonder who Larian has been in touch with. I trust their taste, though. I'm kinda excited to learn who will take the job =) Or maybe they could stay true to Kirill's legacy and just ask multiple composers to create a few pieces, rather than ask one to compose all.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 03:27 PM
While we're at it:

http://kirillpokrovsky.mirror.ga/memorial/hd/

RIP Maestro [Linked Image]

Nobody could ever follow him I fear. But when I listen to his music again I come to the conclusion that Divinity needs another Russian composer. Nobody can compose music that is both so incredibly sad and melancholic and joyful at the same time than those Russians...

Edit: For those of you who are new to the Divinity series and don't know Kirill you can download every single Divinity soundtrack and all of Kirill's piano works here (legally and for free): http://files.solsocog.de/pokrovsky/
Posted By: transfat Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 03:57 PM
What do you guys think about Tilman Sillescu? He is a german composer who has written quite alot, even together with Hans Zimmer for Crysis 2. He is cofounder of Dynamedion which composed for Risen 2 and TES online.

Here is two good examples of his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMTK5OL8as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mywlY1ou9w
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by transfat
What do you guys think about Tilman Sillescu? He is a german composer who has written quite alot, even together with Hans Zimmer for Crysis 2. He has a variety of styles and a company Dynamedion which composed for Risen 2 and TES online.

I don't want to be cruel but the track for Spellforce 2 that you linked here sounds extremely generic to me, without any heart or memorability.

The one for Anno 1404 is imo much better, but still typically pompous (aka "I have an orchestra so I must use all instruments and make "epic" music."). But maybe that's just the specific song here. I can remember the main theme for Anno 1404 and a lot of other tracks from the game which I liked a lot. Was the whole soundtrack composed by Tilman?
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:07 PM
Movie/video game composers aren't willing to go the extra mile to get out of the swamp that is the early/mid Romanticism idea. That's because it's easy to listen to and The Masses(tm) don't like music that is hard to listen to (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsIATAaR-X0 or even this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWotpIy0uTg and these aren't the most "out there" examples of 20th century music). They don't like it because they don't understand it and it makes them feel inferior. That's why movie composers regurgitate Renaissance voice-leading with Classical tonality and most of them sound the same. Renaissance music in general is so uniform that you'd think they were living in an Orwellian nightmare (and they were). Horror soundtracks are actually more open-minded and modern than mainstream movie OSTs.

You'd be hard pressed to find a game developer who actually wants modern and professional music. Movies by genius directors (like Stanley Kubrick) are more willing to put serious music in their soundtracks. He used Also Sprach Zarathustra by Strauss, some pieces by Aram Khachaturian and Ligeti's Requiem (the Kyrie part - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkI49Cvofk) in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I could go on, but the most important part is that game developers (except horror) don't want to use modern music or anything more complicated than what we get. Even late Romanticism music would be fine, even though that movement isn't my favorite. In this context any composer would do, because it is easy.
Posted By: ravensRblack Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:08 PM
What do you guys think about Tilman Sillescu? He is a german composer who has written quite alot, even together with Hans Zimmer for Crysis 2. He has a variety of styles and a company Dynamedion which composed for Risen 2 and TES online.

I don't want to be cruel but the track for Spellforce 2 that you linked here sounds extremely generic to me, without any heart or memorability.

The one for Anno 1404 is imo much better, but still typically pompous (aka "I have an orchestra so I must use all instruments and make "epic" music."). But maybe that's just the specific song here. I can remember the main theme for Anno 1404 and a lot of other tracks from the game which I liked a lot. Was the whole soundtrack composed by Tilman?

Yeah it was Tilman.
Posted By: LordW Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:14 PM
Oh my... so many comments here, i dont have time to go through them all now.... Ehm, can someone here tell me who did you all find to be most suitable?

p.s. I read Anno 1404 here somewhere, i must say that i liked soundtrack in Anno 1404 a lot! It really captured the atmosphere!
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:15 PM
They don't like it because they don't understand it and it makes them feel inferior.

You know that this is quite insulting? People have many different reasons why they prefer certain music. There is genuinely nothing wrong with that. I don't think that there is any reason to look down on others just because they don't share your preferences.

Also video game and movie music is naturally made to support the emotions transported by text, voice and action that happens on the screen. It doesn't have to speak on its own, quite the opposite. The music in media is not at all supposed to take a front seat and tell something on its own. It's supposed to support. Some "en vogue" projects might include music as another means to transport content but that's quite rare and in itself not something that has to happen or is superior to anything else. So your accusation of people "not understanding" modern music is totally out of place here since there is in most cases nothing to understand in video game and movie music. It's "only" an emotional support and therefore most composers indeed use rather melodic music (or what most people would call that).

I heavily doubt Larian wants to make experients with the music for Divinity. While Kirill made all kinds of different music with different instruments for Divinity, he never left himself the sphere of "mass market music" as you might put it. So why should his successor? I don't think it would be a good fit to this series and its heritage.

Edit: I would also be careful when I use words like "serious" or "professional" in an environment in which I only want to devalue and dismiss certain stuff. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's technically bad or unprofessional...
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:22 PM

You know that this is quite insulting? People have many different reasons why they prefer certain music. There is genuinely nothing wrong with that. I don't think that there is any reason to look down on others just because they don't share your preferences.

Edit: I would also be careful when I use words like "serious" or "professional" in an environment in which I only want to devalue and dismiss certain stuff. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's technically bad or unprofessional...

I'm not insulting anyone, I didn't say they *are* inferior, I said it makes them feel inferior. Serious music doesn't have the connotation you think it has. It's used to differentiate between Unterhaltungsmusik (U-musik) and serious music. U-musik is popular music that isn't done purely for art (like commercial music). It has no negative connotations.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:30 PM

I'm not insulting anyone, I didn't say they *are* inferior, I said it makes them feel inferior. Serious music doesn't have the connotation you think it has. It's used to differentiate between Unterhaltungsmusik (U-musik) and serious music. U-musik is popular music that isn't done purely for art (like commercial music). It has no negative connotations.

Don't opt out so easily. You also said professional. And I'm pretty sure most Unterhaltungsmusik is pretty professional as well.

Also people don't automatically feel inferior if they don't understand what a composer wants to tell with his music. You can consume music on many levels. Many people stay happily on the melodic level and there's nothing wrong with that. If they don't like certain music it doesn't mean they feel inferior. That you imply that IS in fact insulting, sorry.

And it also becomes quite off-topic, since the music for Divinity was never supposed to be serious music (as you like to call it) but pure support for content that happens on the screen. You might not like the idea of that but that's just how it is. The only purpose for this kind of music is to support emotions and the action and content that is visually displayed on the screen and told by characters and sound effects imo.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:36 PM

Don't opt out so easily. You also said professional. And I'm pretty sure most Unterhaltungsmusik is pretty professional as well.

And it also becomes quite off-topic, since the music for Divinity was never supposed to be serious music (as you like to call it) but pure support for content that happens on the screen. You might not like the idea of that but that's just how it is. The only purpose for this kind of music is to support emotions and the action and content that is visually displayed on the screen and told by characters and sound effects imo.

Professional also doesn't have the connotations you think it has :p There is no negative connotation attached to non-professional U-musik. Professional music is called the music that is composed with modern academic technique. Music doesn't support emotions or has emotions in it though, it only elicits them. I'm just explaining why most movie/video game music sounds the same. You are simply not familiar with the terminology and that's why you think it has negativity attached to it.

Divinity's music could use some shaking up, though. :p I'd like to see more chamber music, rather than the generic bombastic orchestras with percussion that slams into you rather than complementing the climactic points.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:42 PM
Professional music is called the music that is composed with modern academic technique.

And that means?
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:47 PM
Professional music is called the music that is composed with modern academic technique.

And that means?

Music that implies advanced structural and theoretical considerations and a written musical tradition. Unless I'm not understanding your question?
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 04:50 PM

And that means?

Music that implies advanced structural and theoretical considerations and a written musical tradition. Unless I'm not understanding your question?

I understand it quite well I think. Still sounds A LOT like pure elitism to me, established by some people who want to look more professional like others (like the name implies)...

But I don't want to start a flamewar here or anything. We can both stick to our opinions and just go on, dropping the topic. wink
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 07:41 PM

And that means?

I do not care what theoritical considerations and written musical tradition a composer has. My main goal is to enjoy the game. Music is one of many things that create a good atmoshere that fits to the things happening in the game.

I do not know much about professional composers, but I can tell you my personal taste:

- The music in PoE was not impressive. I finished the game twice, but I do not remember any of it 1 sec after I stop playing.

- Gothic1+2 and Risen1 were some of my favourite games. But I do not remember the music so well because I played them a long time ago.

- There are 2 games where I remember the music after a very long time:
+ beyond good and evil. I was the only sountrack I downloaded on gog and I listen to it often. "Dance with the Domz" is my favourite. But I do not think this type of music fits to D:OS2.
+ Realms of arcadia3: I made a save in the mage tower in the swamp so I can listen to the music whenever I want. I have no idea what they are singing (is it latin?) but it sound fantastic.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Madscientist

I do not care what theoritical considerations and written musical tradition a composer has. My main goal is to enjoy the game. Music is one of many things that create a good atmoshere that fits to the things happening in the game.

I was explaining that we differentiate between types of music. It is an axiomatic triangle consisting of 'folk', 'serious' and 'popular' (U-musik) musics and there is nothing negative associated with either of these. I was explaining what is meant by "serious music". Someone here also mentioned that much of the music in video games is the same. I was trying to explain why they are the same and why something new won't happen for a long time. That's it. You people jumping me for perceived slights isn't all that fair :p
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 09:44 PM
Who says that all music of D:OS2 must be serious music.
If done well, also folk or pop music may fit to a game.
D:OS2 has a more or less middle age setting. So most modern pop music would not fit.
But maybe some fictional folk music that is based on the culture of rivallon might fit in some places.
Fictional folk music means that it reminds the player on some real world folk music, but it does not need to care for the rules of a certain type of folk music and the text (if existent) refers to the culture or history of rivallon.

I still remember the In Extremo stage event in Gothic 1.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Who says that all music of D:OS2 must be serious music.
If done well, also folk or pop music may fit to a game.
D:OS2 has a more or less middle age setting. So most modern pop music would not fit.
But maybe some fictional folk music that is based on the culture of rivallon might fit in some places.
Fictional folk music means that it reminds the player on some real world folk music, but it does not need to care for the rules of a certain type of folk music and the text (if existent) refers to the culture or history of rivallon.

I still remember the In Extremo stage event in Gothic 1.

You can't compose folk music, though, that's why it's a separate category. If you compose "folk" music it's either u-musik or serious music, depending on the architectonic, development, theoretical and logical justification of the music. Folk music has no composer and isn't composed, it's passed down from tradition and changes along the way. Its history cannot be traced in any way (tradition is the opposite of historicity in history studies) and is just there. Though composing folk-like music for the game isn't a bad idea. It will confer a feeling of tradition in the game where it's appropriate.

About it being serious music - it all depends on what the intent and skill of the composer is. They can make it serious music or not, Arcanum's soundtrack IS serious music btw and it works great - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHLAcd14b4
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 10:29 PM
About it being serious music - it all depends on what the intent and skill of the composer is. They can make it serious music or not, Arcanum's soundtrack IS serious music btw and it works great - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHLAcd14b4

You still lack the explanation why it should be serious music after all. What's the benefit?

And I'm also quite curious WHY Arcanum's soundtrack was serious.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 10:38 PM

You still lack the explanation why it should be serious music after all. What's the benefit?

I never said it should be, I said it *can* be. I was explaining why most movie/video game soundtracks sound the same and what can be done to make them not sound the same. Arcanum's soundtrack is serious music because it follows directly from string quartets of western classical music (which is the majority subset of what is considered serious music). Though it is, of course, way more complicated than that, but going into technical details is daunting for people not formally educated in music. Just to remind you - there is no negativity attached to any part of the folk, serious and popular musics triangle.
Posted By: ravensRblack Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 10:39 PM

Uncultured swine! Tone deaf and absolutely no taste in music. *sniff*

(I don't get it either.)
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 10:59 PM

I never said it should be, I said it *can* be. I was explaining why most movie/video game soundtracks sound the same and what can be done to make them not sound the same.

Actually you never did so (the latter part). You don't have to study musical theory to know that many soundtracks especially for fantasy topics sound pretty similar. But you go one step further, you say that this is bad (otherwise you wouldn't insist so much on the topic) and I still want to know why. Why do you want different music? Just because it's different? Because it's more professional? Because you don't like the sound in general? I mean, why?

You know, personally, my most important wish for music in media (means music that supports other elements in audio-visual media which is pretty much the usual definition of music made for movies or video games) is that it gets to me on an emotional level. I don't care whether the music is serious or not or whether it sounds similar to other soundtrack as long as it fulfils this purpose, to deepen then emotional experience I have while playing a game.

Arcanum's soundtrack is serious music because it follows directly from string quartets of western classical music (which is the majority subset of what is considered serious music). Though it is, of course, way more complicated than that, but going into technical details is daunting for people not formally educated in music. Just to remind you - there is no negativity attached to any part of the folk, serious and popular musics triangle.

Well, there is definitely some kind of bias involved in this. Otherwise you wouldn't mention it that often. And then again, the question still stands: why do you want the music for DOS to be serious. You said it "can" be. But why? What's the benefit?
Posted By: Thiev Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 11:21 PM
What do you guys think about Tilman Sillescu? He is a german composer who has written quite alot, even together with Hans Zimmer for Crysis 2. He is cofounder of Dynamedion which composed for Risen 2 and TES online.

Wasn't Dynamedion responsible for Drakensang soundtrack? I found it really enchanting and fitting the game mood (but then I'm a sucker for DSA >.> )
But for some reason there are no good YT links for those tracks frown (not for AFdZ anyway)
Posted By: Apocalypse Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 01/10/15 11:26 PM
Larian should ship DOS2 just without any new music, just let someone rearrange all the stuff we have from Kirill Pokrovsky.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Larian should ship DOS2 just without any new music, just let someone rearrange all the stuff we have from Kirill Pokrovsky.

IIRC they already did something like that for DOS after Kirill got ill. DOS soundtrack is a mixture of new and older stuff from him.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 09:35 AM
I thought the benefit was quite clear - to not sound the same? To actually have some creative value even outside the game. Generic orchestral music No 48394934's creative value is long gone. Kirill's music is serious, btw, he has studied composition in the Moscow Conservatory and his soundtracks for Divinity make full use of that. It doesn't sound even remotely like Generic Orchestral Music. You should probably direct your anger at the people who have classified music this way, because I certainly didn't invent that and neither did I invent the history of music :p
Posted By: Pyrofox Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 11:18 AM
Another random suggestion and/or a composer I really like is Rik Schaffer, the man behind one of my all time favourite video game soundtracks in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I might be a little biased because Bloodlines is one of my favourite games ever but still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FU6JTZhMS8
Posted By: Apocalypse Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 02:10 PM
I thought the benefit was quite clear - to not sound the same? To actually have some creative value even outside the game. Generic orchestral music No 48394934's creative value is long gone. Kirill's music is serious, btw, he has studied composition in the Moscow Conservatory and his soundtracks for Divinity make full use of that. It doesn't sound even remotely like Generic Orchestral Music. You should probably direct your anger at the people who have classified music this way, because I certainly didn't invent that and neither did I invent the history of music :p

You might have used instead "formal or art music" and avoided in running into misunderstandings *g*
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 02:25 PM

You might have used instead "formal or art music" and avoided in running into misunderstandings *g*

I was actually contemplating that, but art music would sound even worse (the endless questions will begin - what is art? How is this art music and u-musik isn't? and I'd have to spend even more time explaining :p) and formal music doesn't sound specific enough ;d They are synonyms though, so you are right.

If there's still confusion - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
Posted By: Apocalypse Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 03:58 PM
The endless questions are implied anyway as the borders are not very clean. 12 tone jazz still popular music are already serious business? Neo-Classic-Metal? etc ;-)
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 04:01 PM
The endless questions are implied anyway as the borders are not very clean. 12 tone jazz still popular music are already serious business? Neo-Classic-Metal? etc ;-)

Yeah, but the average person doesn't know what dodecaphonic jazz is or where exactly the line blurs between u-musik and formal music :p I don't think it's even possible to explain that to a person who hasn't studied music at some point. They just lash out at me whenever I mention something they aren't familiar with, like you see in this thread.
Posted By: EinTroll Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 04:12 PM
Having good knowledge of a subject doesn't make you a good teacher of the subject.

Someone around here previously mentioned Michael van der Bos and his work on AoW3. I liked said pieces, but I think there is a gap between music meant for a strategy game and atmospheric music meant for an RPG. Could the artist pass that gap? I don't know, but he'd be my choice if he could.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Having good knowledge of a subject doesn't make you a good teacher of the subject.

I'm actually a teacher in real life, lulz. Well, I'm a student and I do some teaching on the side.
Posted By: Thiev Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 04:23 PM

Someone around here previously mentioned Michael van der Bos and his work on AoW3. I liked said pieces, but I think there is a gap between music meant for a strategy game and atmospheric music meant for an RPG. Could the artist pass that gap? I don't know, but he'd be my choice if he could.

I did. But since then I dug up my soundtrack from River of Time and promptly switched sides.
Posted By: Apocalypse Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 04:35 PM

If that is your concern, I would say FlyByNo does quite the atmospheric music for roguelikes and strategy games ;-)
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 06:53 PM

Yeah, but the average person doesn't know what dodecaphonic jazz is or where exactly the line blurs between u-musik and formal music :p I don't think it's even possible to explain that to a person who hasn't studied music at some point. They just lash out at me whenever I mention something they aren't familiar with, like you see in this thread.

Well, I understand you much better since I know that you're an (aspiring) teacher. You have the right attitude/writing style already. wink

But back to topic, "to sound different" is imo no worthy goal. Different doesn't mean good. I'd rather have another "generic" (which is by the way just another bland word) soundtrack that sounds nice than serious music, that sounds different - but also not as nice. You know, most people are only interested in whether they like music, whether they like the melodies and the sound. They don't care at all whether somebody made it who has studied music himself or whether somebody uses certain techniques. There is no value in these things if they don't create music that people like more - especially in ambient/soundtrack music. I mean, we're no talking about an opera or an instrumental track in which the music has to speak for itself. That's a completely different premise.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 07:13 PM
I have to agree with LordCrash.
99% of computer game players have not studied music and its theories, but everybody has his own opinion if he likes a piece of music or not. Larian should aim that many players like the music, not that the music is good according to a theory almost nobody knows.

personal comments:
-I had a little bit of music theory at school, it was boring as hell and I have forgotten everything. Once we listened to an opera in order to analyze it. It was supposed to be german but I did not understand a single word (I am german). My comment: Well, it is definitely serious art, but I don`t understand it and I don`t like it.

- When you (Lacrymas) said folk music I was thinking of the german word Volksmusik, which is music based on some local tradition and often sung with dialect, but most of the time it is composed by someone. When I visit my parents and they listen to it (does anybody know the TV show Musikantenstadl? If not you are lucky) I have to leave the room and listen to some rock or electronic music to recover from the shock.
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/10/15 08:33 PM

But back to topic, "to sound different" is imo no worthy goal. Different doesn't mean good.

I was thinking something along the lines of this - https://youtu.be/OitPLIowJ70?t=1313 (I've linked it at the fourth movement) rather than something 20th/21st century or anything too wild/experimental.
Posted By: melianos Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 03/10/15 08:51 AM
I'm not sure there is a composer out there recognized for his work that doesn't know the basics of formal composing. Or if there is, he hasn't written more than a couple scores.

To get back to the basics, music scales were invented for a reason, if you don't use them your music will sound bad to almost everyone.
Posted By: Apocalypse Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 03/10/15 04:38 PM
I'm not sure there is a composer out there recognized for his work that doesn't know the basics of formal composing. Or if there is, he hasn't written more than a couple scores.

To get back to the basics, music scales were invented for a reason, if you don't use them your music will sound bad to almost everyone.

This is quite reasonable answer to LordCrash, on top of that there is a elephant in the room. Something generic will mean a decrease in quality compared to the divinity games of the past. Kirill Pokrovsky was writing some really outstanding soundtracks for the divinity games. He can never be replaced, but if you do not want to lower the quality of the game then you have to aim very high.

And btw, while I like the Drakensang soundtrack and consider if fitting for a Realms of Arkania (DSA) game, I don't think that level of quality would be desirable for a divinity game.

Here btw some samples of Drakensang OSTs as people seemed to have trouble finding it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtfUtFpj1Oo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvU8xQeqnWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbjciBKNkos
Posted By: Lacrymas Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 03/10/15 04:50 PM
Since this is (allegedly) going to be a darker story, the new composer could use Liszt's technique of thematic transformation to transform previous themes from the Divinity franchise and make them familiar, yet wrong (darker) somehow. Even though Kirill's pieces were already quite dark :p Apocalypse is right though, Kirill did set quite a high standard for the music and just randomly picking a composer who will compose the score using a generic template in an afternoon will decrease the quality of the overall game.
Posted By: LordW Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 08/10/15 10:39 AM
Well... where Lacrymas posts, there is an argument. Even though you could agree with some things he is saying, he is saying it in such a way that it is hard to understand. Dear sir, if your aim is to be a teacher then you will surely become one, but on any standard of my own I wouldn't call you a good teacher. Best teachers are those who use words that most people understand and easily explain principles they are talking about. I had one professor who taught me math and he was approaching us in a way you do. What did I learn? Well almost nothing.

Back to composer though. I agree that Kirills tracks were unique, so we will need someone who will give us something... hmm fresh? Maybe it could sound a little generic, but there must be some track that would really stand out.
Posted By: The Centaur Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 09/10/15 05:19 AM
I have to agree with LordW here. We need a composer that will make the music sound fresh. Kirill was great, but unfortunately he is no longer with us, and I don't think it's smart (or even fair) to expect the new composer to sound like Kirill, or even to ask him to imitate or use the music that Kirill left us. The best we can hope for, is that we will get a composer who will also sound unique, in his own way (even if there are some generic tracks among it).
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 14/10/15 01:48 PM
Well, what about Kyle Landry then? He's a very talented pianist and composer and only at the very beginning of a great career and giving him a chance in the industry on some bigger level might be a smart move by Larian. Such a young talent without a huge track record of compositions for video games could be the perfect succcessor to maestro Kirill, meaning a fresh start for the series with somebody who doesn't have to compete with Kirill (yet). He could both leave his own mark and honour Kirill's legacy in the Divinity series.

http://kylelandry.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/kylelandry
Posted By: The Centaur Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 15/10/15 06:58 AM
Does he compose anything other than piano compositions? I don't mind piano at all, but a whole game soundtrack built only around the piano, would not be my idea of a worthy succession to Kirill.
Posted By: Detrah Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 18/10/15 10:39 AM
My vote would go to Austin Wintory. Personal favorite, famous for Banner Saga and Journey.
Posted By: FB2G Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 19/10/15 08:30 AM
Marcin Przybylowicz maybe ? He did a great work in the Witcher 3
Posted By: Ayvah Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/10/15 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by FB2G

When I went to the tavern, and Geralt sat down just to listen to a song, I thought: goddamnit, I'm playing a video game, not going to a concert.

But I was pleasantly surprised. All the music in Witcher 3 is really special.
Posted By: vometia Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/10/15 01:06 PM
Yeah, I also love the music from the Witcher games*: especially the tavern music, but a lot of the ambient stuff too. The composers have a different style to Kirill, but I think their music could really work with the Divinity games too.

* well, except for the horrid creepy fiddle/viola/whatevs you get in places like Crookback Bog, though the music is still creating the appropriate atmosphere...
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/10/15 02:34 PM

No. He's the Witcher composer. Larian needs an own one. I also think that the Witcher 3 soundtrack is inferior to the previous ones AND ultimately inferior to everything Kirill did, especially with DOS.
Posted By: Ayvah Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 21/10/15 07:54 PM
the Witcher 3 soundtrack is inferior to the previous ones AND ultimately inferior to everything Kirill did, especially with DOS.

I played Witcher 2, but my memory isn't good enough to comment. But I strongly disagree with you on the comparison to D:OS.

I am not a fan of the music from D:OS. I just think it's "good enough". In particular, the title screen music was nice, but it was too loud and powerful for the title screen and I didn't like it in context.

I don't agree with implications that Kirill is the best in the industry. Whoever replaces Kirill, I get the feeling that some people are going to hate on the new composer regardless of whether or not he does a good job. (I'm having flashbacks to when the lead singer Tarja left Nightwish.)
Posted By: FB2G Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 24/10/15 09:40 PM

No. He's the Witcher composer. Larian needs an own one. I also think that the Witcher 3 soundtrack is inferior to the previous ones AND ultimately inferior to everything Kirill did, especially with DOS.

Kirill was great I agree (still listen to DOS and D2 ost) but we need to move on. I don't agree about the ost being inferior to Kirill, it is different not inferior. 2 differents composers can both be great
Posted By: ChavaiotH Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 27/10/15 11:21 AM
I think this one sounds very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1FLk6BgATc

It's a game soundtrack from Endless Legend. Just give it a try.
Posted By: Aramis_88 Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/11/15 06:36 PM
Hi Everyone. So many great composers have been already mentioned in this thread!
I would like to suggest Bulgarian composer Borislav Slavov - he was responsible for amazing (and incredibly underrated) Two Worlds 2 soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BE1-ejUTNI&list=PL3eRFEF-NHBHKLvI-h4eIWex8eQf-azN0

Posted By: Kein Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 19/12/15 10:52 AM
is there any official word on it? Just curious who could be a match to something like this:

Posted By: Raze Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 19/12/15 11:07 AM

No, there has been nothing new mentioned, AFAIK.
Posted By: Kopio Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 04/01/16 08:14 AM
Whoever the new composer would be, Kirill lives on in my heart whenever I hum the ambient music in Divine Divinity. One of my greatest childhood moments when I had that box in my hands, those two discs for installation, killing all the orcs around the starting village, those memories.
Posted By: Delsabre Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 05/01/16 11:57 AM
Probably not easy to get, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Andreas Waldetoft.

https://youtu.be/zk0ZQTzjqMc?t=560
Posted By: Kein Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 10/02/16 08:22 PM
Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmjKEFwUms

Personally, I'm not impressed. I have no doubt he is a great composer, but is he as good as Kirill for Divinity games? But I will wait for the first samples.
Posted By: john carmack Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/03/16 10:23 PM
Borislav “Bobby” Slavov!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1486313

Posted By: Zelon Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 02/03/16 11:23 PM
@Kein

Met too at the beginning, but then I looked into his music for Two Worlds II and I think it is really good.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FPZfW_Bnc&list=FLqEsIfjcswQlcB8_krDpuvg&index=17

I think, he could compose some great music, even if his scores for Ryse and Crysis do sound the same.
Posted By: Sordak Re: Music composer for D:OS2? - 03/03/16 08:30 PM
I realy hope the final result wont be generic.

If theres anything that realy gets me out of the expirience in a fantasy game then its generic fantasy music.

And Original Sins music was decidetly *not* generic.

Other great examples would be Witcher and Morrowind, but even obscure games can have iconic music like for example Dragonshard.
© Larian Studios forums