Larian Studios
Posted By: Quorra About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 28/09/15 07:57 PM
I've tried the search function but I haven't found anything. Is there already any information available about the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug? What kind of material will it be made of? smile
Posted By: Raze Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 28/09/15 10:44 PM

No, not yet AFAIK.
Posted By: gbnf Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 28/09/15 10:52 PM
Is it too much to hope for mithril?
Posted By: Raze Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 28/09/15 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, yes, it is. rpg003
Posted By: LordCrash Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 28/09/15 11:15 PM
I only hope it's not mere (smelly) plastic...
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 29/09/15 02:43 AM
I would prefer lightweight porcelain and not something that is uncomfortable to hold with hot liquids. Please, no stainless steel.

Posted By: Haleseen Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 29/09/15 02:54 AM
Probably something closer to ceramic would be what it would be like. Being that it's supposed to be an ale mug, like those of the old times.

But, what the fuck do I know lol
Posted By: Quorra Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 29/09/15 07:19 AM
Light weight porcelain sounds a bit elvish to me wink - well, ceramic, why not. If it's suitable packed so it doesn't break on the way.
Posted By: Chaotica Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 29/09/15 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by DrunkenTofu
I would prefer lightweight porcelain and not something that is uncomfortable to hold with hot liquids. Please, no stainless steel.

Come on, ale mug is for ale !! (or at least any other alcohol) joke aside, metal or ceramic would be nice
Posted By: LordCrash Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 29/09/15 12:22 PM
Only gripe I have with ceramic is that it's hard to get it delivered in one piece within the box...other than that it's perfect imo.
Posted By: eRe4s3r Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 10:17 AM
Remember that ale mugs can be made of wood too. Why would you do that you ask? You ever held a German "Humpen" in a ceramic mug or a half liter beer glass? Because you don't hold a full one very long. They are *heavy* (Visit Oktoberfest if you ever want to try your luck).

If they make this ceramic or metal and it's a Humpen sized one, you are doing muscle training with each sip wink
Posted By: Von_Rotten Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 05:43 PM
Nothing like a lead drinking mug packed in an asbestos container for that special 1st drink aftertaste.
Posted By: darkflemish Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 06:15 PM
Something like this? [Linked Image]

Greetings,
Dark Flemish
Posted By: Quorra Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 07:50 PM
Wood is even better! laugh

@eRe4s3r Humpen just aren't created for being hold, like a champagne glass, but to be emptied on the spot, i guess. wink
Posted By: LordCrash Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 08:30 PM
I'd like wood, although I think that might be a bit unrealistic... wink
Posted By: eRe4s3r Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by darkflemish
Something like this? [Linked Image]

Greetings,
Dark Flemish

Funny thing is that I was thinking of that scene when I thought of wooden mugs. Simple 3 ring barrel with a handle too.

Quick googling shows me at least 2 artisans that make wood kegs in Germany (just an example), and it's probably a little odd for them I am sure, but I think barrel makers can easily make wooden mugs too.

So not sure how realistic it is. But it'd be VERY unique.
Posted By: Dr Koin Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 30/09/15 11:30 PM
Wood carvers sure are more rare these days, but they still exist. However they are probably very expensive too.
I'd love wood, too, it's a good idea actually. But since good wood is expensive, and the worker is expensive, I guess Larian will have to call for something a bit more manufactured.

After all, the mug and hoodie and stuff are ways of motivating people into higher pledges in order to get money for making the game, so while I expect a minimum quality, I also doubt the items are going to be of the finest polish. Especially if they have to mass produce them =) So probably no breathtaking design ( although simple, sober designs can be very nice too, those mugs in the Hobbit gif are perfect indeed ), no impressive materials ( cheap wood, not wood at all,... ), and not too big to reduce the material quantity needed and the costs.

But I still hope we'll get something at least functionnal and nice looking =)
Posted By: Apocalypse Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Chaotica

Come on, ale mug is for ale !! (or at least any other alcohol) joke aside, metal or ceramic would be nice

I drink my ale warm. Just like a dwarf should. :p
Posted By: darkflemish Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 03:57 AM
Maybe a mug that looks like it is wood but it is made from another material?
Posted By: Bowl Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 06:22 PM
on the topic of wood ale mugs price I can shed a rough idea, for a simply sturdy design I can pick one up Locally for around 40-50 USD. The downside of wood mugs is that they are hard to maintain and clean them if you plan on using them. So they would become more of a trophies piece if you want to keep them nice. Regard less of what they are made of I am still excited to get mine, hopefully they they will be functional for those that want to use them, or nice looking for those of us that want to display them.
Posted By: vometia Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Bowl
The downside of wood mugs is that they are hard to maintain and clean them if you plan on using them.

Yeah, I love the idea of a wooden mug in theory, but in practice, I can see that being a potential headache. Certainly not something that can go in the dishwasher, and ideally something that would require some nice lemon oil or something equally expensive to keep it in good condition! Sigh, pity all the nicest things are such prima donnas when it comes to maintenance.
Posted By: darkflemish Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Vometia
Originally Posted by Bowl
The downside of wood mugs is that they are hard to maintain and clean them if you plan on using them.

Yeah, I love the idea of a wooden mug in theory, but in practice, I can see that being a potential headache. Certainly not something that can go in the dishwasher, and ideally something that would require some nice lemon oil or something equally expensive to keep it in good condition! Sigh, pity all the nicest things are such prima donnas when it comes to maintenance.

If the inside is from example metal?

See example here
Posted By: Dr Koin Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 09:46 PM
I don't even have a dishwasher! Bring it on ! laugh

Isn't there some kind of... polish or I don't know that could make the wood waterprood enough though ? I dunno nuthin' about no materials myself really. Except that wood is heavy and can cost quite a bit =)
Posted By: NanoPaladin Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 10:48 PM
Wait, there was a Dwarf mug? D:
Posted By: ravensRblack Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by NanoPaladin

Yep. Collector's Edition or The Saga Continues (Physical) at $125 pledge level.
Posted By: NanoPaladin Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by ravensRblack
Originally Posted by NanoPaladin

Yep. Collector's Edition or The Saga Continues (Physical) at $125 pledge level.

Ah son of a!!!!

I knew I should have raised my pledge from $100 frown lol
Posted By: LordCrash Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 11:09 PM
I'm still curious to know how they want to pack that mug in a disc size cardbox... meh
Posted By: Haleseen Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 01/10/15 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by LordCrash
I'm still curious to know how they want to pack that mug in a disc size cardbox... meh

They will ship it separately. They did that for multiple items during the D:OS campaign, like the art print, extra cards and stickers, and something else.
Posted By: vometia Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 02/10/15 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by LordCrash

It's inflatable.

Possibly. laugh
Posted By: Jito463 Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 02/10/15 05:47 PM

Plastic? laugh

*sees raised axes heading towards him*

*runs away very fast*
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 02/10/15 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jito463

Plastic? laugh

*runs away very fast*

PLASTIC?! *breathes fire on him*

You... you know? That's the kinda stuff you buy, for people who can't hold heavy stuff like someone with injured arms, the elderly, etc.
Posted By: darkflemish Re: About the Dwarven Empire Ale Mug - 03/10/15 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jito463

Plastic? laugh

*runs away very fast*

PLASTIC?! *breathes fire on him*

You... you know? That's the kinda stuff you buy, for people who can't hold heavy stuff like someone with injured arms, the elderly, etc.

As far I can see there are wooden mugs at a fair price. Let's hope they choose for that.
© Larian Studios forums