Larian Studios
Posted By: Zelon Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/02/16 02:34 PM
This is kind of a thread for the future, but with the informations we have now, which race/background speaks the most to you?

I read the Kickstarterpost for the Undead again and am most excited to play one of those. They all are very interesting and I get a PT Vibe for the ones, who lose their memories.

But I think the one with the background "raised" reads the most interesting. And the Undead seem to be also more suited for the Hall of Echoes as an integral part of the story.
Posted By: Haleseen Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/02/16 02:45 PM
I like the Lizardman race. I haven't really read into the backgrounds yet though. But I've always like Lizardman people.
Posted By: norD Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/02/16 06:03 PM
Dwarf !
Because Dwarf.
I haven't fully decided. I'm leaning towards the Lizards (for Design, but also from straying away from the normal Lizard-Folk Trope), or the Imps (Warcraft Goblins translated to Divinity, but are even more insane). I'm still trying to learn the lore...
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 20/02/16 03:36 PM
I have some ideas for chars I want as main char or as party member

Flora Bloom
She is an elf who discovered as child that she has strong source powers. She was not very beautiful for an elf (though she had many human lovers and even a dwarf) so she tried to improve herself with source magic. It went wrong and she became partly a plant. With her brown skin and green hair,eyes and teeth she looks very strange, but she gained the ability to talk to plants and so she became a famous gardener. For over 200 years she worked in the royal garden of the elf king. They had many problems with rabbits there and so she learned to hate them (and most other animal who eat plants) and she became also a good hunter. She wears cloth and shoes made of cow leather (another animal that eats plants) and gloves, a scarf and hat made of rabbit. This makes her look even stranger because she wears rabbit pelt even in the hottest summer. When the divine order started to hunt sourcerers, she had to escape.

abilities: good in alchemy, earth and water magic and combat with bows. She dislikes fire and most animals.

special ability: She can summon her hunting dog. The dog is not strong, but fast and tough. His special attack is, that he will bite the enemy and not release it until it is dead. The victim must do a saving throw every turn to get rid of the dog. Otherwise the dog will keep on biting. While the dog bites, the victim takes some damage and is slowed. The dog cannot do anything else while biting.

With water and earth magic, a bow and a pet that makes enemies slower she is perfect in kiting enemies from the distance.

----------------------------------------------------

Igor

Igor is very strong, but he has a very low intelligence. He lives on a farm with his parents. He is kind and gentle and he likes animals and children. One day an evil sourcerer came along and he realized that Igor has a strong source potential. He paid Igors parent to take Igor with him, he told them he would educate Igor. In his lair, he performed experiments on Igor to release his source power. The experiment was successful, well kind of. Igor gained great strengh, but he fell into a rage and destroyed everything around him, including his master. Igor did not realize that his master was evil. He felt ashamed for killing his master and he did not dare to return to his parents, so he remained in the lair. But he had to escape when the divine order came.

abilities: The sourcerer trained Igor to be an assassin. He is very strong and dual wields strengh based weapons. He has also some skills in sneaking and lockpicking. Because of his low intelligence he is not good with magic.

special ability "Source Rage": Once per battle Igor gaines great strengh and performs special attacks for 3 turns. In his rage he cannot be controlled and he will attack the closest target(s) with brute force, no matter if it is friend, foe or neutral. The rage is so exhausting that he will get penalties for the next 3 rounds after the rage ends.

Note: playing a strong idiot in arcanum was super funny.
Posted By: Zelon Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 20/02/16 09:39 PM
@Madscientist

Those are really good ideas, but this thread was created to write about the already existing backgrounds and races and not the ones, you want to exist.

Maybe you could open your own thread, because, like I said, I think these backgrounds are really neat and maybe we can discuss them there:)?

@norD

Good reason! I also like the design of the armors and the backstory of the empire has some potential.

@DraconicGaming

Imps would be really cool. Maybe we finally can play them in OS 3. With Flamethrowers! And big bombs!

Posted By: Madscientist Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 21/02/16 09:11 AM
Sorry Zelon, but what existing backgrounds are already known?
All I know is the demo with the noble girl, the boy who wants to kill her and a dwarf and an elf I know nothing about.
Posted By: Zelon Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 21/02/16 01:32 PM
I did write, that this is a thread for the future, didn't I?

That means for future updates and the finished games. Also, if it works out, your ideas may go under. Would be sad.
Posted By: Sordak Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 21/02/16 09:57 PM
Definitly rolling with Lizard, mostly cause Dwarves are boring, im angry about Elves and Humans are moslty cool in settings that have a variety of human cultures.

It helps that Lizards are pretty cool in general and i like the idea that they are an ancient empire with a ridiculous eugenics programm.

Cant wait to see what their origin stories may be.
My best guess is that you can either play one that is "lower class" read who is not "perfect" in terms of genetics and looks and the other choice would most likley be one who is "Ideal" and thus kind of upper class or the lizard equivalent of a noble.

Now it would be quite tempting to go full Edmund, but it realy depends what choices we get and how the Lizards are actually portrayed.
Tho playing some sort of arrogant conqureror would definitly be interresting.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 20/03/16 12:51 PM
So I am the weird one that wants to play as an undead mage?
Posted By: Zelon Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 20/03/16 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
So I am the weird one that wants to play as an undead mage?

Just the "Mage"-part^^. I want to play a Knight!
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 21/03/16 08:22 AM
Besides, do we already know ALL the racial skills and racial options?
Posted By: Zelon Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 21/03/16 09:36 AM
No, we still wait for the elves (cannibals. No, really, they shall get skills through eating) and humans. I guess humans get extra ability points and all that.
Posted By: Maoboy31 Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 09/04/16 04:47 PM
Hello. I can't find any information about the loreand the races by now. Where can I find it please ? :) Thanks.
Posted By: norD Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 09/04/16 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Maoboy31
Hello. I can't find any information about the loreand the races by now. Where can I find it please ? smile Thanks.

There is not a lot of stuff released yet because we are creating the game.
You can go on our kickstarter page and find information on some of the races.

Lizards
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1340957
Undead
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1342625
Dwarves
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1352525
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 09/04/16 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by norD
Originally Posted by Maoboy31
Hello. I can't find any information about the loreand the races by now. Where can I find it please ? smile Thanks.

There is not a lot of stuff released yet because we are creating the game.
You can go on our kickstarter page and find information on some of the races.

Lizards
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1340957
Undead
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1342625
Dwarves
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1352525

Well, if so, when can we hope to play with the alpha?
Posted By: Dwarfurious Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 14/04/16 03:53 PM
Someone call us BORING? The only boring thing about Dwarves are our well crafted mining networks, where you shall be BURIED.
My band of Dwarves shall lay waste to every dwarf hater in the game, every stinking elf and anyone who looks at any of my dwarves wrong will taste axe >: |
Posted By: cyseal Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 14/04/16 08:15 PM
Will there be lich subclass to build when chosen undead character ?
Posted By: Dwarfurious Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 15/04/16 05:04 AM
The undead make me wonder if different races will have different spell access. I cant see an Undead hydromancer using heal spells, like zombie wouldnt it hurt them? But a Lich hydromancer WOULD have for excellent damaging ice spells, since they often have chilling effects and near immunity to the element.
Would be really nice to see, a few spells removed and a few spells added for each race.
Posted By: ChavaiotH Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 15/04/16 05:08 AM
Humans!
Posted By: john carmack Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/04/16 08:27 PM
what kind of races will be playable in D:OS2 ?
Cannot find any thread where all races are introduced?
Posted By: Sordak Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/04/16 08:56 PM
Humans, Elves, Dorfs, Lizards and Undead

Dwarves seem to be pretty much dwarves. Chances are humans wont be much of a surprise either.

Elves eat people to, kind of TES like, they gain memory this way, this is a gamepaly mechanic.
Lizards are an old empire ruled by a few that are deemed "perfect"; aperently this leads to its decline.
Undead there are several types, those that decided to stay on their own, those that were summoned by necromancers and those that are "civilized" undead that live in an undead society, supposedly we get to play each of them, also you can play an undead of each other race, so you can be an undead dorf or an undead lizards.
All undead will have the same racials tho from what we know, so its appearence only.

I do wonder however: What will undead armor be like?
In the concept art it appears as if undead had their own distinct armor, however logic would dictate that they wear the racial armors since they are based on the skeletons (quite literaly) of the other races, making specific undead armor would be so much more work as they had to do four times the sets.
Posted By: john carmack Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 19/04/16 09:23 AM
Something like a (animal) Bird/Eagle or Wolf/Werewolf Race would be very cool too! wink

But i am fine with the current races. smile

Any chance to get another "Special Surprise" Race? laugh
Posted By: Elwyn Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 19/04/16 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by john carmack
Something like a (animal) Bird/Eagle or Wolf/Werewolf Race would be very cool too! wink

But i am fine with the current races. smile

Any chance to get another "Special Surprise" Race? laugh

Probably not. The Divinity Universe has 7 races: Humans, Elves, Dwarfs, Lizards, Undead, Imps and Wizards (although Wizards are not really an independent race). So unless they add Imps to the game, we won't get any special surprise race ;-)
Posted By: Sordak Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 19/04/16 08:35 PM
You could argue the Undead are already the special surprise race.

About other beastraces: honestly im already kind of salty about furries ruining beast races for the rest of us.

I enjoy playing Lizard races in games but id honestly prefer it when games to stick to that and maybe insect people or something.
Posted By: mmword Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 30/04/16 12:58 PM
is it possible to play as death knight ? like a beyond divinity ?
and for what they race ? , if undead - then this is my favorite race smile
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 30/04/16 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by mmword

you are actually quite right! it would make a lot of sense!
Posted By: mmword Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 30/04/16 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by mmword

you are actually quite right! it would make a lot of sense!

and would be great take two orks in to party , but looks like orc race not support yet frown
Posted By: Zelon Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 17/09/16 08:29 PM
Time to resurrect this thread:

So, how much do we like the background and of the Alpha races so far?

I have to say, I really like the "memory-eater" skill of the elves. It really is a useful and fun feature. Sadly I have now to take an elf with me, because it is so useful.

My favorite backstory so far is indeed Ifan. It is a less exotic background to the others, but his quest interests and motivates me so far. I am also interestes to know, if my drugproblem will have a greater role in the game.
Posted By: Nivv Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 17/09/16 08:47 PM
I like lizards the most so far, and I think undead will also be a fast favorite if they turn out well. Most of all, the fact that this game even gives the option to pick stuff like lizard or undead at all is amazing to me.

Most games, NEVER let you pick anything but human, or you are limited by the very typical elves and dwarves that are mandatory to fantasy games. I'm also very glad that they did not go with the often used tribal Lizardmen background, and went for something more grand.

I'm hoping for more in-game opportunities to discover more about them, from their history, to customs and anatomical quirks.
Posted By: kingcrowley Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 17/09/16 08:55 PM
My favorite so far is the Elves, i love the corpse eating ability.
Posted By: Bhazor Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 17/09/16 09:16 PM
I like Lizards even if they're not as sexy as Xcom Sneks.
Posted By: Aramintai Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/09/16 12:54 AM
I generally like playing as humans and elves. But elves are very weird looking here, remind of freaking Avatar movie only without the blue color - they look nothing like elves from Divine Divinity. But I gotta say Larian did a great job with lizards. Never cared about dwarves or any other short races.

As for my favorite background so far I'd say it's Lohse - she has the most intriguing origin. She's crazy, funny, possessed by a demon(?). My favorite part is when a dwarf gives her a lute and if she plays it demon inside her makes her smash it on the floor, upsetting her. But devs need to elaborate more on origins - was she a bard? A follower of Lucian? Who possessed her and when?
I'm looking forward to undead origin as well, this should be good too. And it would be cool if at the end we can turn this undead into human again like with princess in Dragon Commander.
Posted By: Wellzy4eva Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/09/16 01:04 AM
I looking forward to how they develop the Lizards, Elves and Dwarves fall into rpg cliché too easily, and have so many expectations whereas you have more artistic licence with Lizards.
Posted By: Kembriel Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/09/16 02:42 AM
Don't like the how the elves look, but I like Sebille's backstory. Unique trait of being able to eat body parts to see their owners' memories (and learn skills)! Also enjoyed Sebille getting to play with her tattoo needle to trace the names of those she's seeking vengeance on. I enjoyed torturing the lizard dude.

Ifan was okay but a little generic. Oh no dead/voidwoken wife and kid, woe is me. However the drug addiction is unique and I hope it will play a larger part in the story - i.e. he has to manage it by taking drudanae frequently or deals with reduced stats if he tries to quit cold turkey.

Lohse was interesting but even playing as her I felt confused half the time. I got the concept of having a demon or negative entity inside her, but then wait a minute, she also knew Lucian or was his lover? Shouldn't I have been aware of this earlier? Still, it's great her history plays into the main story.

I have not played Red Prince yet so can't really speak to him, but I'm excited to hear more about the dwarf and undead origins later on.

Posted By: kingcrowley Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/09/16 02:46 AM
I love how the elves look personally.
Posted By: Yegodz Re: Favorite Race / Background in D:OS2 - 18/09/16 04:48 AM
Kind of bummed undead isn't playable yet, that was the one I was looking most forward too. A litch subclass would be nice to have. Also, having some cool racial abilities like maybe projecting yourself out of your body, you would be incorporeal but you could scout an area and maybe when you get to a higher level you could possess enemies and control them. That would be a cool to do.
© Larian Studios forums