Larian Studios
Posted By: Sismik Full game installation - 07/09/17 11:42 AM
Hi Larian team,

To play, it will be necessary to desinstall the beta version and then make a proper installation ? or it will be only an update to do the 14th ?

Thanks
Sismik
Posted By: Zec Re: Full game installation - 07/09/17 02:23 PM
I dunno I am curious around similar thing too, size of early access is 14gig, I am guessing (just my wild guess) that whole game would be minimum 25 gig. Now will it update early access files from 14gig to 25gig or simply place another file in steam library (how it did with enchanted editions) that they simply placed another file for download. That is why we have no in steam library Divinity OS (classic) and Divinity OS EE as two separate games in library.
So if I was you no matter how it will be (update or new file in library) I will still make minimum 30gig space.
Posted By: Concarne Re: Full game installation - 07/09/17 02:45 PM
My guess is only a patch. But it will be a very big patch. Most likely the file structure of the game will change to support mods and we have the ENTIRE voice over library to download which are usually quite large. My guess is the only things we will not have to download are textures which have not changed from EA to release, the rest of the game files will probably need to be downloaded again.

Take this with a grain of salt because I have 0 clue how this will actually go down, other than I know we have to download all the VO files which are going to be several gigs.
Posted By: Zec Re: Full game installation - 07/09/17 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Concarne
My guess is only a patch. But it will be a very big patch. Most likely the file structure of the game will change to support mods and we have the ENTIRE voice over library to download which are usually quite large. My guess is the only things we will not have to download are textures which have not changed from EA to release, the rest of the game files will probably need to be downloaded again.

Take this with a grain of salt because I have 0 clue how this will actually go down, other than I know we have to download all the VO files which are going to be several gigs.

I dunno but exactly because of all the voices and considering the size of entire game I think that they might do a new download, they did same with the enhanced edition of DOS they did not patched original game but simply gave you new upgraded game.
Plus some patches can be abnormally huge, I still remember first time I installed WoW and then waited almost double the time of game download and installation for all updates to download and patch up.

And we can see from streams of the game from Swen that they did modified good part of the game plus not to count undead race too... think but at the end we will find out after 14th
Posted By: Deadknight Re: Full game installation - 07/09/17 08:08 PM
Either way, as a former customer support representative, I would suggest you to delete the game entirely and redownload the game to avoid issues.
Not that I don't trust Larian's patcher, but if you don't have download limitation, there isn't much reason to simply patch.

My question would be, will we be able to preload the game like 24h hours before ?
I'd like that because I suspect the download would take a bit.
Posted By: Zec Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Deadknight
Either way, as a former customer support representative, I would suggest you to delete the game entirely and redownload the game to avoid issues.
Not that I don't trust Larian's patcher, but if you don't have download limitation, there isn't much reason to simply patch.

My question would be, will we be able to predownload the game like 24h hours before ?
I'd like that because I suspect the download would take a bit.

TBH I was thinking on doing that day or two before, I mean I am not playing DOS2 now anyway (just counting seconds until it is released) but still, when they released DOE EE they said that we will get "new game" in steam library instead just paching on old file.
(unless I forget to uninstall it smile
Posted By: Zurv Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 12:59 AM
I've heard they the game might be out early for people could got Kickstarter/early access. That said, my dog has been known to lie to me in the past. :)

(I'll get my tactical combat fix from the new xcom xpac. It is real darn good... but the 14th still feels far away!)
Posted By: Nightmarian Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by Zec
but still, when they released DOE EE they said that we will get "new game" in steam library instead just paching on old file.
(unless I forget to uninstall it smile

Because it was a new game, it wasn't a patch. You can check; you should still have both the original and EE as separate games and they also have their own achievements.

This is just a release patch. Technically there's nothing wrong with the codgy old techy's mentality of "always start fresh" there's less reason for it every passing year. You're going to get patches automatically anyway, what you going to do then, uninstall the game just in case? No, you're just gonna let it patch.

The way the patcher works is that it rewrites files and adds those it needs. If there's still a problem, I'd verify integrity before reinstalling the game as it can just re download missing or broken files instead of the whole thing.

So yeah... starting fresh install technically isn't a bad answer, it's just a highly inefficient one.
Posted By: Deadknight Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by Nightmarian
Technically there's nothing wrong with the codgy old techy's mentality of "always start fresh" there's less reason for it every passing year.

I won't reinstall for every patch, however the EA is a different build and probably was on a different branch than their main build on an environment they don't have as much control as their internal network.

The old EA that was branched out for so long then will be back in with many new stuff, new improvement in AI, ragdoll, maybe the some other core or engine things, ... it's different than a long continuous stream of patches overtime.

So just for the release, better safe than sorry and yeah I agree with you but Old habits, ...

laugh
Posted By: Zec Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 05:46 AM
This is one of those topics where we reeeeeally could use some tips from developers, if nothing else just some hints a little bit before the famous 14th cause habits do stay with you for a looooong time biggrin
Posted By: Nightmarian Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Deadknight
[quote=Nightmarian]

So just for the release, better safe than sorry and yeah I agree with you but Old habits, ...

laugh

No, I agree with you, which is why I said it's not a bad answer, but... yeah. I've heard worse jumps in versions with no issues. Likelihood is steam is just going to redownload everything (including what we already have) but that's my point, Steam can fully modify content of its game folders to include deleting, adding, modifying so it shouldn't matter your install will be identical to everyone else's.

Which of course means it doesn't matter if you delete everything as it's effectively going to be the same more or less, making it kind of a moot discussion I guess.
Posted By: Zec Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 07:56 AM
Steam often deletes old versions of games on updates (if you have "auto update enabled") just look how often DOTA2 is updated, imagine that each time on its update it had left old files. DOTA2 would be a prettttty big install to have.
Posted By: Linio Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nightmarian

This is just a release patch. Technically there's nothing wrong with the codgy old techy's mentality of "always start fresh" there's less reason for it every passing year. You're going to get patches automatically anyway, what you going to do then, uninstall the game just in case? No, you're just gonna let it patch.

The way the patcher works is that it rewrites files and adds those it needs. If there's still a problem, I'd verify integrity before reinstalling the game as it can just re download missing or broken files instead of the whole thing.

So yeah... starting fresh install technically isn't a bad answer, it's just a highly inefficient one.

Then again, I had a similar problem when installing 911 Operator from EA to final release, so yeah, I would add to the "better safe than sorry" guys and tell you to remove everything to avoid any disturbance, I know I will (although it will take 5 minutes to get the complete game so I guess it won't be that annoying for me)
Posted By: Tami Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 03:31 PM
i also want to know if we'll be able to preload the game or not, if the patch is around 20GB it'd take me a full day to download it and it'd kind of suck to keep my friends waiting because of my slow internet
Posted By: Zec Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tami
i also want to know if we'll be able to preload the game or not, if the patch is around 20GB it'd take me a full day to download it and it'd kind of suck to keep my friends waiting because of my slow internet

I know that I seen somewhere post by Raze (I looked but could not found it) where he said that there is possibility but that atm all options were open (and that there will be predownload and also that he does not know it yet)
So basically they were still discussing around it. I think only thing that was almost totally sure is that size of whole game (not counting what we have from ea) is around 27gig but that also can get changed too.
Posted By: Ayath The Loafer Re: Full game installation - 08/09/17 06:53 PM
I don't have the problem with the need for a pre-download a couple of days before.
Neither will I suffer with download speed because of many simultanously trying to get the game.

Not just because I have optical connection and 100Mb download speed.

No. Simply because I will be on holiday from tuesday and some more days.... sad
Not only that. There will be no internet connection, so I can't even check on comments and people cheering.

I have been waiting for years, and Larian decides to launch during my holiday. CRAP!
ouch

As a petty revenge I won't allow my house sitter to use my computer while I'm away. Daughter or not. NO!
© Larian Studios forums