Larian Studios
Posted By: Kangaxx Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 06:29 AM
If you play a 4 player mp game and everyone has thievery except a single person(persuasion) something is really wrong.

One of us uses persuasion until the map is cleared and than respec to lucky find to loot the containers, - she respecs afterwards back to persuasion.

It's just a massive time sink and does not contribute to the game at all, but it's effective.

So why can't we have double civil skill points, so that we won't need to respec every few minutes? I mean you respec for trading, for stealing for lucky find and to identify items.

It's annyoing as hell and certainly not thought through.

Just give us enough points to max at least 2 civil skills at ~12 and it wouldn't be so bad.

Not even getting two skills to a base of 5 till the end is just a major issue.

Posted By: TsunAmik Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 06:39 AM
don´t respec and be atleast a bit poor, its more fun anyway. You don´t have to clear the whole map... -_-
Posted By: geala Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 06:48 AM
Why do you not distribute the civil abilities among the 4 party members? One has Thievery, one Bartering, one Lucky Charm and one Persuasion.

I bet your are on Tactician and (think to) need cheesy tactics to get money to play the item monkey game. That's sad. Your style of play may be effective but also sounds awfully artificial.

Did you try to play the game as the normal game? Maybe it is impossible on Tactician (I'm on Classic, so I cannot judge, but I don't even steal stuff, Lucky Charm is good enough). If it is not possible to prevail without constant respec because of the difficulty , I'm nevertheless against changing so much, only to make a certain difficulty be easier playable. It would be a contradiction in itself.
Posted By: Kangaxx Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by geala
Why do you not distribute the civil abilities among the 4 party members? One has Thievery, one Bartering, one Lucky Charm and one Persuasion.

I bet your are on Tactician and (think to) need cheesy tactics to get money to play the item monkey game. That's sad. Your style of play may be effective but also sounds awfully artificial.

Did you try to play the game as the normal game? Maybe it is impossible on Tactician (I'm on Classic, so I cannot judge, but I don't even steal stuff, Lucky Charm is good enough). If it is not possible to prevail without constant respec because of the difficulty , I'm nevertheless against changing so much, only to make a certain difficulty be easier playable. It would be a contradiction in itself.

It's honour mode infact. And we playing with a melee heavy group so we need to upgrade the equipment rather fast. ;>

We just want to make sure nothing stupid happens. It's not like a lw playtrough where you're running around with 80% dodge and 60-80% resistance. :p
Posted By: TsunAmik Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 07:06 AM
Well I can see your point then, but honestly I dont think that making civil abilites more OP is what would benefit the game overall laugh

You decided to cheese a game little bit, which I can understand on honor mode, but I guess in that case you just have to deal with it laugh
Posted By: Gaidax Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 10:47 AM
It really boils down to tryharding where it's not needed. You don't need that shit to beat the game, it's literally your choice at that point. You may as well change abilities and talents every fight at that pace - fire immune mobs ahead? Quick port to Lady Vengeance and switch your wizard to Hydro and go buy tomes and set skills!

You dont have to do any of that shit, 1 guy with thievery can give you all the gold you will ever REALLY need.
Posted By: Ellezard Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 11:04 AM
I don't think you even need multiple thieves to keep your gears updated. With 2 level 8 thieveries (Buy glove and belt from stores with a unique Fin top somewhere from act 1, probably seeker camp store) and stealing twice from nearly every NPC in the game that has money on them (Which include random npc like some dude standing by the dock and he has trader gold on him for some reason) I left Act 2 with updated divine gears and 300k, way too much money tbh and makes me believe 2 thieves are already overkill.

1 Lucky charm + 1 Barter + 1 Thievery should cover the money and gear issue with no need for a respec. You don't even need Barter maxed, level 2 or 3 is more than good enough and just boost their attitude so you can get around 15-20% discount /extra price, more if you have barter gears every time you shop which really adds up.
Posted By: Concarne Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 04:20 PM
Why do you have 3 people with Thievery? If one of you has barter and the other has Lucky Charm money shouldn't be an issue at all. The problem with respecing into LC at the end of an area is that the gear you find is tied to the level of the area. So if you clear an area and go from level 10-14 the gear you find in that same area will be level 10-12 which makes it useless for gearing up characters and really only good to sell (which is good -most LC finds are vendor fodder) However, you also don't let yourself optimally use LC.

If you really wanted to run a synergistic group and not let any untoward things happen. You should run 1. LC 2. Thievery 3. Barter/persuasion 4. Loremaster
Posted By: Bokajon Re: Civil skills really need a rework. - 26/09/17 05:49 PM
Kangaxx: I think that your group's problem is that you are trying to minmax the game by exploiting the respec option. That sounds like a chore.

Just roleplay and have fun! Don't try to discover everything everywhere on your first playthrough. Instead, stick to your characters' personalities and decisions!

The "everybody chooses option X (in your group X is thievery)"-problem is something that is very often discussed in Pen & Paper RPGs as well. However I found that in P&P, after you play one or two characters, you realize that exploiting and minmaxing every rule and ability is not the point of the game. The point is to get into your character, decide how he would decide, do things that might not be as strong as the other options but that tell a funnier or more engaging story.

Probably my most fun P&P character was a sharlatan that was fairly weak compared to the other characters in our group. He had loads of style and did everything in his own way, not caring about what others thought of him. The mage in our group constantly made fun of the sharlatan because he wasn't a combatant like the rest of the group, but in the end that mockery only added to that character's coolness and memorability.

To get back to DOS2: Allowing players to choose more civic abilities wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. Civic abilities allow for fun replayability. I would rather have the devs remove the respec option altogether than making everyone a jack of all trades.
© Larian Studios forums