Larian Studios
Posted By: haveahappy SteamOS/Linux? - 21/11/15 06:09 AM
I know EE was announced for SteamOS and Linux, so when it came out I was really excited - except it's actually only available for Windows!

Any dates on the SteamOS release?
Posted By: Garog Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/11/15 12:54 PM
It "should" come in december... maybe, when... maybe wink

last news on this
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=575792#Post575792
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 09/12/15 04:55 AM
Any clarity yet?

New updates?
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 15/12/15 09:04 AM
Still nothing?

Will we get this before xmas?
Posted By: Elwyn Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 15/12/15 09:33 AM
According to Swen's twitter, it should be released this week:

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/674549772213207040

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/674900462617960448

Posted By: torpet Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 17/12/15 04:16 PM
Let's face it, it is never coming out. I want my money back for my purchase on Steam plus keep the game in my library.

This is the first ragepost of mine on the interwebs, so that says a lot.
Posted By: Garog Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 11:34 AM
The first mentioned week is over and the next week is going to end too...
Posted By: Raze Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 12:32 PM

When 'hope' is involved a little over a weeks ago in in releasing it this week, that implies a level of uncertainty about how long things would take.
Posted By: torpet Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 02:01 PM
You mean after having it postponed for more than 2 years? Oh yeah, let's "hope" they release it in December then.
Posted By: kramer747 Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 02:31 PM
not having this game during this week has left me in a glass case of emotional despair.
Larian please don't release this when I have in-laws in town, that'd be by far the worst present ever.
Posted By: ka1man Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by "Raze"
When 'hope' is involved a little over a weeks ago in in releasing it this week, that implies a level of uncertainty about how long things would take.

Latest tweet from Swen today:
Originally Posted by "Swen's Tweet"
We're fighting some elusive random memory corruption - once we find it, we'll release.
With the nature of such bugs -- and the upcoming holidays -- in mind, I read that as "not this year anymore".

Which is fine by me. I do have some time to spare starting from January 7th. And by then the next big patch should be ready as well. Been waiting for so long, can wait longer too, if the resulting product is stable and has most issues ironed out.

Good luck and happy holidays!
Posted By: UtherII Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 09:29 PM
I was wondering...

Would Larian be ok, if Linux users get "Divinity Original Sin 2" for free, and pay eventually 18 months later?
Posted By: Garog Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 18/12/15 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by ka1man

Latest tweet from Swen today:
Originally Posted by "Swen's Tweet"
We're fighting some elusive random memory corruption - once we find it, we'll release.
With the nature of such bugs -- and the upcoming holidays -- in mind, I read that as "not this year anymore".

Surprise surprise, surprise surprise... that was unexpected, isn't it?
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 20/12/15 08:33 PM
Dare I ask - any news?

Also, thanks everyone with the info on this thread, I really appreciate it.
Posted By: Raze Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 20/12/15 08:44 PM

No, there has been no update since Friday.
Posted By: Disorient Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 21/12/15 11:32 AM
Hopefully today or one of the next days smile So siked to finally play the EE !
Posted By: kramer747 Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 01:28 AM
nothing yet frown

Should we keep looking or is Larian on vacation until the New Year?
Posted By: Raze Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 03:10 AM

The problem may have been found, and it is going through QA to test.
Posted By: Mana Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 03:13 AM
Seems they may have found the problem just testing now(8hrs ago)
"@LarAtLarian We think we found it - in QA now"
Posted By: Harper013 Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 04:04 AM
I appreciate that they're still apparently attempting to deliver on this.

But really--they overpromised (platform concurrency was a Kickstarter stretch goal of the original game, then shifted...how many times now?) and have alienated the larger Linux gaming community. We'll get it when they're done with it.

I suggest not supporting companies you don't feel deserve your money. There are *plenty* of other games to play out there. And for us primary/preferred Linux users, there are plenty of companies who support you. Give them your money. Larian won't miss it--Linux is not a large gaming platform afterall, and it lightens their PR load dealing with people who are irate at them for feeling lied to.

God knows game developers already have to deal with regular gamers who are already bad enough. They won't miss Linux gamers from that.
Posted By: Raze Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 04:33 AM

The Mac version resumed development when the Kickstarter goal was met, but platform concurrency was not a stretch goal, and was never promised (even for Mac, Larian was unsure if it would catch up to the Windows version by release). The Linux version was always planned to be started once the OSX version was done; that was very, very wrongly expected to be not much extra work after the OSX version was done, but there was always going to be development time required.

People in general were predominantly supportive of the delays to the original release of the game, given the extra content being added and changes made. Anyone who backed the Kickstarter for the Linux version who was unhappy about the delays with that version could get a refund.
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 04:43 AM
Originally Posted by Harper013
I suggest not supporting companies you don't feel deserve your money. There are *plenty* of other games to play out there. And for us primary/preferred Linux users, there are plenty of companies who support you. Give them your money.

My understanding is that the delay was simply a question of priorities. Like you say, SteamOS/Linux users are a very small %.

As for whether Larian "deserves" my money...... I don't know. I do know that they'll have "earned" my money when the Linux port is done and released.
I don't think too many gamers choose not to play a game as critically acclaimed as D:OS over such issues as how delayed the game is. I've waited a lot longer for other titles and been (I'll wager) much more dissapointed in the result.
Posted By: Raze Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 05:24 AM

The main issue was poor planning; Larian assumed that certain OSX middleware also existed for Linux, and was included with it. That was not the case. There were a few issues with middleware along the way, in addition to the time needed to program the stuff that didn't exist.
By the time the Linux version was done it was very out of date, so needed to be updated. There was the already outdated release version of D:OS, or the current code base at the time for the EE. It wasn't feasible to update it twice, so it was delayed again for the EE, since at least that way it would be the most up to date game version, and the current engine would be ported, making it possible for future games to support Linux.
Posted By: ka1man Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 08:32 AM
By the time the Linux version was done it was very out of date, so needed to be updated. There was the already outdated release version of D:OS, or the current code base at the time for the EE.
And this is what I honestly do not understand. Why on earth would you implement functionality like Linux support on a separate copy of the code base in the first place? Maybe open a branch for the initial work, but at least keep it all together in the same repository so that all updates to the code will automatically end up in all the different platforms.

Can only hope the devs learned their lesson and handle this better for DOS2.
Posted By: Raze Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 10:02 AM

There are separate branches of code whenever there is an update, etc. People keep working on the main trunk, and only specific changes will be moved into the release branch, so it can be tested.
There were significant changes to the game engine for the EE; even for the Windows version, with the last couple of patches only specific changes and additions were moved to the release branch.
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 09:22 PM
Sincerely hope this will drop before 6 Jan now.

Steam sales! My poor wallet.... *sobs*
Posted By: kramer747 Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 22/12/15 10:08 PM
Steam sales end January 4th.

Also, you should just do what I plan to do. Wait for DOS:EE to go on super sale (which it will since it's only 33% off now and if it doesn't, pick it up on the 4th for 33% off) regardless of whether OSX/Linux are released.

After you purchase you'll still have 14 days to return to steam (which considering they're really just working on fixing 1 bug, the game will likely be released by this time).

The plan of the century
Posted By: Webcreature Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 23/12/15 06:40 PM
Its there!
They saved it up for a christmas present.
Thank you Larian!
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 23/12/15 08:22 PM
Yep. Downloading right now.

Should be able to have some split-screen shenanigans with family tomorrow (provided controllers work - they are notoriously weird in Unity engine games).

Otherwise we'll just play online. In the same house. Why don't games support LAN anymore - I could be saving tens of megabytes of bandwidth on several occasions throughout the year smile
Posted By: SniperHF Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 23/12/15 08:39 PM
D:OS does support LAN. Also it's not Unity. So in other words you should be good to go.
Posted By: Stauff1138 Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 23/12/15 08:39 PM
Unity??? Don't make me laugh. It's all home-brewed :hihi:
Posted By: haveahappy Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 23/12/15 09:14 PM
I honestly have no idea why I thought it was Unity. 30 seconds thinking back to some clips I've watched tell me it can't be.

Brain fart.
Posted By: XANi Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 03:48 AM
Linux version works perfectly on my main machine but on my laptop it gets:

Game crashed

Thread "EoCApp" (1245698496)

Signal: 11

(0) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 : +0xf8d0 [0x7f44524358d0]

on start (game window flashes for a second then disappears)

OS is same (Debian testing), just that desktop got "real" GPU (GTX780) but laptop only got intel HD (i5-4200U)
Posted By: ka1man Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by ka1man
I stand corrected!

Only had time to install it and go through character creation (which I think I'll have to redo, as I forgot changing the character portraits), but seems to be working really well. Kudos!

Now, only thing left is try if it runs on my wifes MacBook (which just meets the minimum specs, except for plenty of RAM) and then get her to like it. That would be a blast! Alas, little hope for latter.

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: norD Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 12:36 PM
Merry Christmas and happy holidays guys smile
Posted By: Wons Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 01:07 PM
Thanks for the game getting on the linux platform :)

Have a small bug though. Pressing Alt does not trigger the items highlight.
Debian 8, Geforce GTX970 with 352.55 drivers. Tried fullscreen, fake fullscreen to no avail.
Not a game breaker but finding small objects takes time and gives a bit of frustation.

Wondering if Im the only one.
Thanks
Posted By: Stauff1138 Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 01:17 PM
Alt is not enabled on Linux, as Alt+Mouse moves window around. On Linux use 'X'
Posted By: Wons Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 01:50 PM
Thanks a lot, 'x' works.

Guess I was relying too much on the tutorial saying it was the Alt key.
Posted By: gargltk Re: SteamOS/Linux? - 24/12/15 03:32 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the Linux release, been waiting for this for a long time :)

I have a couple of PS3 controllers which the game simply won't recognize - I can use them in steam big-picture mode just fine but the game is stuck on kb+mouse. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this issue any further ?
© Larian Studios forums