Larian Studios
Posted By: ecogen Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 12:48 AM
After about 3 hours in the game I quickloaded and my game crashed.

After checking the rest of my saves I noticed that saves made past a certain point would only load if I restarted the game completely, if I tried to load while playing or quickloading the game would crash.

So, I went to one of my earlier saves that worked and kept playing from there. At some point the game froze for 30sec-1min but it didn't crash. Any save made after the freeze would act like the previous broken ones, if I tried to load it while playing it would crash and if I loaded it after restarting it would load but it would take a huge time to do so.

Basically I had to constantly quicksave the rest of the time because the game would freeze at random and after the freezes the saves would be broken. All the freezes seemed to happen in the fort joy courtyard near the waypoint shrine.
Posted By: Subcryo Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 02:13 AM
I think we have the same issue here, but game is unplayable for us now and will freeze for minutes or be 1fps when it returns.

We started having these small freezes / stutters every once in a while after being in the fort for a little while, and the freezes would get slightly longer every time it seemed. Eventually we would all get a message that our game had stopped working, but if we just waited it returned after a while, so we thought we could just play onward. Then after we got back to the fort having killed the crocs on the beach, the problem had progressed to the point where the game was unplayable. Our computers would also go nuts, crash, get artifacts in other programs and I noticed the physical memory would fill up slowly until it got to 98% usage in task manager. Its as if something is constantly building up taking more and more RAM whenever we got close to the center of the fort area by the waypoint shrine or the little kitchen/hideout with griff and his crew.

Eventually we reverted to a really old save, where the problem was not present, but after having played here for a while again the problem has returned and is just as bad.

And yeah, quickloads will almost always crash the game if we haven't restarted in a while. Didn't think it was related to this issue but if the same happens to you..

Only "out of the ordinary" that we have done to the save are transferring the savefile from my friends to computer to mine at an early point in the game, however we did this cleanly as suggested by staff in another thread by going into documents and copying the save folder under Profile>Savegames>Story, so that shouldnt be an issue? We did a great deal of theft in the city by turning all the npcs around and stealing their stuff, could be related to AI going crazy looking for culprits?? Doubt it but am just listing everything.

Also, the further the issue has progressed the longer the loading times are.
Definitely not something related to our computers as we are all having the exact same problem with very different specs.
Posted By: ecogen Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 02:32 AM
Sounds similar to the issues I'm having, except for the artifacting.

Surprisingly I remember having one of the huge freezes after stealing something so you might be on to something there, I'll check if I can reproduce it tomorrow.
Posted By: Subcryo Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 02:51 AM
Yeah we went absolutely crazy and stole skillbooks, gold and armor from almost every npc in the fort. Thats about the only thing I can think of that we did in the city that might be different from what most players do.

I sent an email to support with my savegame attached. I also linked them to this thread, but I will update you if I get a solution from them through email.
Posted By: Subcryo Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 04:08 PM
I've just tested on a new save stealing from every npc in the fort, as well as stealing a bunch of stuff on the ground everywhere, then leaving and reentering the area and letting the game run for an hour while standing there. Could not replicate the issue on the new save, even though I think I did pretty much everything that I did on the corrupted save.
Seems like its just some random glitch? Or maybe it only happens while in multiplayer, do not know.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 04:11 PM
I got it even though I dont play multiplayer, I got that first quickload-crash around the marshes and after that Fort Joy kept crashing.

I also stole stuff, but I dont think that matters.

(EDIT). I suspect this is a memory leak issue that persists between saves.

If anyone wants to see for themself here is a save just below Fort Joy ghetto. Clicking on the ladder takes one to the surface where it crashes.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=11823750174380190523
Posted By: ecogen Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 05:50 PM
I messed around a bit more and I noticed that if the game takes a while to complete the save, that save will be broken (ie. will crash game on load unless you restart the entire game). Also the broken saves have a file size of around 8 to 8.5MB while the saves that work normally are below 7.

Posted By: wolvenstorm Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 06:41 PM
i have the same problem,loading is very long(bad save about 2 mins,good save take about 20s),when go to fort joy square,game will crash,same as what Subcryo says,memery leak,if i teleport to other place,game dont crash

save files
[url=https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqZqszBvA9voj91w0hswzGod4wrmmA]https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqZqszBvA9voj91w0hswzGod4wrmmA[/url]
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 06:43 PM
Have the same bug. Crashes in Fort Joy and everytime I quickload in the game. Only the first loading after the game was started works.
Posted By: Emag Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 07:57 PM
Also having the same issue, everything seemed to be fine in fort joy up until i used the fast travel option to return to the Hub. Now the save takes about 2-5 minutes to load and when it does load the game occasionally stops responded for 1-3 minutes then i can play normally for about 2-4 minutes before it stops responding again. This repeats until the game crashes or i attempt to load a save at which point the game crashes anyway.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 08:03 PM
This issue is so terrible, something is HORRIBLY wrong with the Fort Joy square-kitchen.

This is a MEMORY issue as one can see by looking at task manager while the game freezes. Memory shoots up to 99%.
Posted By: Driis Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 08:18 PM
I have the same issue playing on co-op via LAN every save after a 10-20s freeze are unloadable after the very first load since launching the game. We noticed the problem late and the only Good save is about 3hr before where we are. From the good save were able to load even after the first load..
Posted By: Pedram Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 09:34 PM
I have the same issue, it's really annoying. I hope they fix it soon since in this state it's too frustrating to play.
Posted By: MagnastraW Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 10:52 PM
I have the same issue and i believe it's caused by huge memory leak in Fort Joy, but i can't understand the reason of this.
Was there any comments from the devs on this issue?
Posted By: Bhally Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 11:25 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Its extremely annoying.
Posted By: NotCYF Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 11:40 PM
Same issue here. Same problem exists in D:OS EE when quicksaving games: I get that freezing issue and it shows like 1 frame every 5 seconds and i see my character teleport around the place while this happens until it suddenly fixes itself. What helped was deleting unnecessary saves, but i only have 10 saves in D:OS2 so that can't be the problem now :(
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by NotCYF
Same issue here. Same problem exists in D:OS EE when quicksaving games: I get that freezing issue and it shows like 1 frame every 5 seconds and i see my character teleport around the place while this happens until it suddenly fixes itself. What helped was deleting unnecessary saves, but i only have 10 saves in D:OS2 so that can't be the problem now frown

I just tried deleting all savegames but one, but it seems the problem is bound to each save.

For future visitors: It seems after a point in the game (10-12 hours in) some event occurs that makes the central fort joy area (kitchen-square) cause massive lag (likely memory related).
Posted By: CurryCatastrophe Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 15/09/17 11:53 PM
Exact same issue passing the exact same location (Fort Joy passing the kitchen square)..I tried circumventing that area by traveling through the western beach path and still froze/crashed

this is a game-ending bug...
Posted By: Driis Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 02:55 AM
I tried putting the save file on another PC with the game and it too crashed during loading that save. If the devs want i can send it to them..
Posted By: CurryCatastrophe Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:08 AM
now my game is crashing when i quickload - even more fun....
Posted By: Macro Tofu Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 04:10 AM
Every time when I get close to the kitchen in Fort Joy, game freezes for ~60 seconds, during its freeze time, the game is using ~90% Memory viewed in task manager, my laptop has 16G Memory.

Now this game is unplayable to me, even start a new game I have to afraid this freeze stuff would occur again.
Posted By: NotCYF Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 05:04 AM
[quote=Testing] Same issue here. Same problem exists in D:OS EE when quicksaving games: I get that freezing issue and it shows like 1 frame every 5 seconds and i see my character teleport around the place while this happens until it suddenly fixes itself. What helped was deleting unnecessary saves, but i only have 10 saves in D:OS2 so that can't be the problem now :( [/quote]

I just tried deleting all savegames but one, but it seems the problem is bound to each save.

For future visitors: It seems after a point in the game (10-12 hours in) some event occurs that makes the central fort joy area (kitchen-square) cause massive lag (likely memory related).[/quote]

Yep, at some point NPC's take like 30 seconds to decide what to do in combat too o.O
Posted By: SpaghettiMan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 05:28 AM
Same issue here. Freezes for about 60s every time we walk near the kitchen and the cave entrance(next to stingtail). Its unplayable.

Hope it gets fix soon enough.
Posted By: CurryCatastrophe Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 06:26 AM
Part 3 of this for me now: My save games now are taking upwards of 3 - 5 minutes to load. They sit around 70% loaded and then hang there for a full minute or more before being able to make progress.

I have a save from the intro area (the boat) that loads up in under 5 seconds.

What in the hell is going on?
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 07:32 AM
Exact same issue, unfortunately I also have only 8gb RAM so it's even worse for me. Definitely a memory leak somehow embedded into the save though, I can run DOS2 side by side w/ Afterburner and watch memory increase by ~100mb every 2-3 seconds until it hits 7,5gb or so and crashes. Obviously no such issues when starting a new game. Also the problem with increased loading times, at the start that was the only oddity - but as time went on it became worse and worse until the game is no longer playable.

I suspect the issue is more or less universal if you spend too long in Fort Joy, I guess I shouldn't have taken it slow and steady on Tactician difficulty as I'm ~8 hours in and have still not escaped. Maybe it's a fail safe implemented to make us play quicker wink
Posted By: Deax Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 07:43 AM
I have the same issue.
Loads quickly to about 70% then takes forever to finish.

I can't waypoint to Fort Joy courtyard now. The ram usage skyrockets to 99% and everything freezes.
Edit: Same thing happens if i walk into Fort Joy courtyard from a distant waypoint, everything freezes.
Edit2: Changing everything to lowest settings changes nothing.
Saves take about 20s to complete.

Game is, sadly, hardly playable :/
Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 07:54 AM
Same thing is happening to me. All of my saves for the last 8-10 hours are corrupt. If I try to load a save after the first load, it gets about 3/4 of the way loading, then crashes to desktop. It will only let me load a save file once I've restarted the game after it crashes. I really don't want to replay those 8-10 hours again, especially when I don't even know if the files will just get corrupted again. It's aggravating, I really was enjoying this game and want to play it, but not if I'm worried the whole time that every time I save, the file could be corrupt and useless. I guess I'll wait and see if they acknowledge the issue and fix it. This sucks, as I was looking forward to a Divinity weekend.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:29 AM
It probably will happen again until they fix the issue, no sense restarting now unless you're fine rushing through Fort Joy and never looking back.
Posted By: Henk Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:59 AM
Same problem here. I am also in Fort Joy and reloading crashes me to desktop. I already sent some bug files. Hope this helps.
Would be nice to know if my save files are now corrupted and i should restart the game or if i can continue to play. (I don't die that often).
Posted By: NotCYF Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 09:06 AM
For me the issue fixed after escaping Fort Joy, it seems to be area specific. [b]This seems to be an issue with the script engine lagging really badly in Fort Joy[/b]
Posted By: Alixiel Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 09:13 AM
Same issues here, when it freezes I can't do anything but reboot my computer, can't even access to my desk and close the game...It always happen around fort Joy. And my saves take age to load (when it's not crashing)....

Sorry for my language I'm ESL.

Posted By: Henk Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:05 AM
[quote=NotCYF]For me the issue fixed after escaping Fort Joy, it seems to be area specific. [b]This seems to be an issue with the script engine lagging really badly in Fort Joy[/b] [/quote]

I can confirm that the quickload crash is gone after leaving Fort Joy. Loading a save after Fort Joy works without problem.
Posted By: IcySteps Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:31 AM
I'm having the same issue with save file corruption as well. I've also spent 10+ hours in Fort Joy speaking to people, stealing from some. This started happening to me after I got my collar removed and fought some of the magisters. Might be unrelated, but several companions got the permanent Wet effect as well.

At this point, it would take around a minute to load the courtyard of Fort Joy in front of Lucian's statue. As I progressed a little after this, the game just froze around this area without successfully loading it. Memory usage went up to 99% (the game used about 10GBs of it), while HDD I/O and Paging errors increased considerably.

It's just a guess, but it seems that this bug started happening after I stole some stuff and ran away without ever letting the NPC I stole from confront me.

Also, it seems to me that saving without pausing the game in the meantime is just asking for trouble...

Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:31 AM
Do you mean the island or only the fort? Because I escaped the fort and now am in the swamps but every quickload kills the game and also if I port back to the kitchen.
Posted By: Niklasgunner Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:31 AM
Got the same issues, now past fort joy, loading times have become insane and I loading without restarting the game results in a crash

I picked tactician mode so I have to reload frequently, game is a fucking chore to play this way.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:49 AM
It seems there are some similarities here. I wonder if there is a common denominator based on what I read here.
Has almost everyone Stolen from most NPCs and then run away before they found them?
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Testing
It seems there are some similarities here. I wonder if there is a common denominator based on what I read here.
Has almost everyone Stolen from most NPCs and then run away before they found them?

Yes, several times. But most people run away after stealing stuff, right? So you'd expect this bug to be a very common occurrence then.

Edit; That being said, I do remember the crashes on loading started happening after stealing from one of the girls in the kitchen. But that might just be coincidence.
Posted By: Gahnfaust Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:16 AM
Having the same exact issue.
Memory skyrockets, and the game is freezing
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:25 AM
Same problem.
Stealed and runned aswell but don't think this is it.

Found this fix but don't know if it's good:
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605573

Steam forum have the same issue aswell.

*minor spoiler*
My save crash just after I get Alexander on my vision sight.
Posted By: Bukke Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:29 AM
Based on what I've seen on Reddit and the Steam forums people are experiencing the crashes after installing the latest 10MB patch.
In my case the game crashed and the most recent autosave is glitched so I can't control one of my characters. When I try to reload an earlier save file the entire game crashes.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Bukke
Based on what I've seen on Reddit and the Steam forums people are experiencing the crashes after installing the latest 10MB patch.
In my case the game crashed and the most recent autosave is glitched so I can't control one of my characters. When I try to reload an earlier save file the entire game crashes.

That can't be the issue, I'm running the GOG version and didn't install the patches until after the freezes started occurring.
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:41 AM
I'm having the same issues.

I first noticed the issue when I had two characters talk to two people to divert their attention while a 3rd character robbed them blind.

I loaded farther back..then farther still...and still running into issues.

Does anyone have this issue who has NOT stolen then run away? Because I sure have, and it started after I started doing that.

I'm going to play a game from much farther back, and if it keeps having problems, restart.

Can anyone confirm that after restarting there is no problem? (even after stealing and running away?)
Posted By: Boppa Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:51 AM
Same issue. After I escaped the fort I started experiencing crashes at times when I load the game. I think the first crash occurred after I left the fort, ran into some skellies, reloaded quicksave. I am no longer 100% sure if I returned to the fort before the first crash.

Once I travelled back to the fort after leaving it, I experience hang-ups of up to 30 seconds where my memory usage maxes out. During hang-up graphics are paused, SFX/BGM still active, cursor still active.

This seems to be a very high repro case with critical severity (blocker for some as it renders fort area quite unplayable, I don't have anything major to do there anymore thankfully so I can skip it), any chance of Larian employee being able to give a hotfix ETA? I assume you are already planning a patch for next week but I think this is worthy of a hot-fix.
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:57 AM
Confirmed the stealing theory.
Got a unbugged save and after stealing and running the save was corromped.

Edit: Ignore it. Tryed it again and didn't crash. It isn't the stealing/running.
Edit2: It only started here when I updated the 10MB hotfix. Game was normal before.
Edit3(really): Save isn't corromped but now Fort Joy Square takes 1~2 minutos to load even without loading screens. Only walking around tankes more than 1 minute to load textures I guess?
Posted By: ecogen Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Eolath

That can't be the issue, I'm running the GOG version and didn't install the patches until after the freezes started occurring.

I've had the issues on the steam version pre-patches as well.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Boppa
...any chance of Larian employee being able to give a hotfix ETA? I assume you are already planning a patch for next week but I think this is worthy of a hot-fix.

We are out of luck it seems frown. And I was having so much fun.
https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/908759041463201798
Posted By: sytrak Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:10 PM
Got exactly same problem - anyway I can tell I did not steal anything from any NPC
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:16 PM
Yeah guys, I think the only way is start a new save with the 10mb hotfix features.
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:25 PM
well, logically there has to be something we're all doing in common to create this, else the game would not work for anyone. We just have to find the trigger so we can play

For kicks, I used a bugged game, ejected all my followers, and dropped my entire inventory--didn't have any effect smile

I can instantly trigger the game to crash when I am in a bugged game and then I talk to two NPC's and with a third try to steal something. It just freezes--devours all my ram, and then crashes.

After looking at my saved game files, I see they are incrementally getting larger, 8megs, 9megs, 10megs. They seem to grow very quickly.

Can anyone confirm the size of totally normal fort-joy save file? Or is anyones corrupted file over 10MB?
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:28 PM
I have posted a sample bugged save file somewhere above that is 7MB
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:30 PM
I have fort Joy files with 4-5 mb and then 8-10 (which are surely corrupted).
Posted By: ecogen Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by ekidhardt
well, logically there has to be something we're all doing in common to create this, else the game would not work for anyone. We just have to find the trigger so we can play

For kicks, I used a bugged game, ejected all my followers, and dropped my entire inventory--didn't have any effect smile

I can instantly trigger the game to crash when I am in a bugged game and then I talk to two NPC's and with a third try to steal something. It just freezes--devours all my ram, and then crashes.

After looking at my saved game files, I see they are incrementally getting larger, 8megs, 9megs, 10megs. They seem to grow very quickly.

Can anyone confirm the size of totally normal fort-joy save file? Or is anyones corrupted file over 10MB?

I wrote this in the first page. My "working" fort joy save files are usually under or just above 7MB, anything upwards of that is bugged.

Edit: Has anyone tried to start a completely new game post-patch? Like deleting the Divinity: Original Sin 2 folder in documents all together and starting fresh?
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:32 PM
Ecogen,

I'm doing that right now. Starting clean.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:34 PM
Only problem is it takes about 10-12 hours for it to manifest, so its going to take.... a while.
Posted By: Skyte Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:35 PM
My friend and I have been having this problem for some time now, we found an old savefile which wasn't corrupted after the problem occured, but now, in this save file, if you walk into fort joy it will trigger what we suspect is the cause of the bug. In order to recreate it, either walk down the ladder down to fort joy, and walk towards griff, or waypoint to "Fort Joy - Square". This for us at least, when the host performs the task, makes the game freeze for about 10 seconds or so.

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/Ytvg38DT/file.html
Posted By: ecogen Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Testing
Only problem is it takes about 10-12 hours for it to manifest, so its going to take.... a while.

It didn't for me. It started happening about 3 hours in.
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:55 PM
The thing is though, is that when they release a fix, they're going to tell us to restart anyway. I've seen this issue happen with other games, a memory leak and the save file balloons up. Always have to restart rather than try to repair the saved game of every person.

hopefully I'm wrong! smile
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 12:57 PM
Eh, if I have to restart I'll just wait a couple of weeks before playing this game again. Could be the same bug pops up somewhere in act 2 or 3, which haven't been tested nearly as much as act 1.
Posted By: Niklasgunner Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:01 PM
I only got this bug once I was in act 2. So it can happen at any time

I'll try to refund until this is fixed.
Posted By: landauc87 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:04 PM
I have the exact same issue that everyone else is reporting. And I only have corrupted saves left to load from. Started for me around Fort Joy. So disappointing and frustrating. No Divinity weekend for us it seems.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by landauc87
No Divinity weekend for us it seems.

Thats the problem with thursday/friday releases.....
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:22 PM
Started a new save and the game crashed in after I left the bed on the ship.
Still broken af
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:28 PM
More broken than the early access version and it's practically the same content in act 1, what a joke.. ouch
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:39 PM
Yeah, I do understand stealing bugs/damage bugs/side quest bugs... But game breaking bugs and not a single commentary about it? or ETA? It's sad.
Posted By: landauc87 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:46 PM
SOS LARIAN!
Posted By: pouet007 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 01:57 PM
Same issue here, I posted on the steam forums in hope to get some help. http://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/6/3223871682614105719/

I started a new playthrough, but already in the boat my 1st save is 3.93mo and the 2nd some minutes later is 4.10mo, I think the issue starts from the beginning of the game until it can't load anymor and crashes. I'm unsure about how this crash is related to the fort joyr center crash and the fort joy tp crash that I got too after a while.
Posted By: Testing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 02:01 PM
(...Imagine if a major twitch streamer had gotten this bug....)
Posted By: AdaSirin Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 02:04 PM
Ugh, this is so frustrating. I was really looking forward to playing this game this weekend, but this issue renders the game completely unplayable. It's all the more shocking since this was an early access game — shouldn't game breaking bugs like this get ironed out during the early access period?

Can we PLEASE get some acknowledgement from Larian that they are aware of this issue and are working on fixing it? Bonus points for an ETA on the patch.
Posted By: Arkaous Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 02:08 PM
Same thing here. I cannot load any saves while I am currently playing, or it will crash.
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:01 PM
No fix till now.

Can't play existing game. Can't create a new game. The game is 100% broken.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:07 PM
I think Larian's off for the weekend, remember to bump the thread on monday so the devs see. Don't expect this to get fixed earlier, if it can be fixed at all.
Posted By: ecogen Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:18 PM
Update: I spoke to someone from Larian on discord and linked him the thread, he passed it on to QA and they're looking into it. If you wanna help out uploading a couple of your clean/bugged saves would help.

Relevant stuff
Posted By: Saltful Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:38 PM
I have the same problem. Corrupted save files are over 6 MB.

My latest save now is right after I removed collar, if I go towards waypoint Fort Joy - Square then game just freezes and then crashes. BUT if I go outside of Fort Joy towards Beach waypoint then it's fine and I can teleport to Dungeon waypoint without crashing.

When opening game and loading a save file it takes a lot longer than usually and after that loading any other save files makes the game crash.

Here is one of my corrupted save files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kFkXbsa-xLZ09vTXg3TXg1TWM

If you go straight to the waypoint then it should freeze and crash.
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:42 PM
Wow, now it also freezes while long fights... I had a really hard fight and while finishing the last guy it crashed and I forgot to save AHHHHHHHHHHHH. They mentioned that a patch was published. Did anybody have this crash bug before the patch? Maybe the patch was causing it.
Posted By: Megashed Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 03:46 PM
From what I have noticed, for me at least, the memory leak seems to be caused by the Hilde NPC. I tried going towards the center from multiple angles and watching what NPCs are popping up. All the NPCs would load fine apart from when Hilde appeared, the game would immediately lock up and the memory usage started going up. On some older saves the game would recover, on my newer saves (about 3-5 hours deeper into the game) it would either crash or barely recover but the game would be very choppy.

I have a funny feeling it could be related to the latest update but im not too sure. The game did feel like I was getting tiny stutters around fort joy but I never really noticed it until it full on locked up on me. The oldest save was from the night before the latest update and I do not recall ever noticing any problems in fort joy then, only when I played again the following night (just after the update) did i start running into these problems.
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 04:02 PM
Well, I started over and while I haven't experienced the same issue (yet, give it time)--my save files are at 8megs without issue. I'm going to play without ever stealing anything until the end of the first act. (after patch)

I'm saving like an insane person---I'm wondering if there is a small error that piles up, and after X amount of saves, it becomes too much for the PC to handle.

I think when people are thinking it's a specific person or location--I think that might just be the tipping point for the bug. Because a very specific different person caused my problem originally. Anywho--hope they get this fixed ASAP.
Posted By: Arkaous Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 04:30 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/6/3223871682614105719/?ctp=2

They're looking into it, try to send logs
Posted By: support_larian Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 04:35 PM
Hey all! Thank you for the feedback! We are actively looking into the issue, but do not know yet what is causing it. Please keep reporting it and try to give us as much information as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 04:45 PM
No fix til here.

Hey everyone, wouldn't help post all specs for them to know if its a hardware conflict or something?

Just to be sure:
R9 390X (Don't buy it, piece of ****. Going back to GTX)
i7 4790
16GB RAM DDR3
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 05:19 PM
I just made a new game, saved it and reloaded. Worked instantly. Then I stayed ingame and loaded my normal game with 16 hours playtime. Loads until 3/4 and stays there for 30 seconds but then it loads it without crash. Loaded the new game again, worked instantly but another load to the old crashed it. Some guy said he made a new game and played that until finishing act 1 without a crash. So if they can't fix it we all have to make a new game and all the playtime is fucked up. What is so different between the EA and the final release that they didn't know about this specific problem that makes the game near umplayable.
Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 06:08 PM
[quote=NotCYF]For me the issue fixed after escaping Fort Joy, it seems to be area specific. [b]This seems to be an issue with the script engine lagging really badly in Fort Joy[/b][/quote]

Do you mean after leaving the immediate Fort Joy area and going into the swamp area, or leaving the island? Can anyone else confirm this?
Posted By: mirg Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 06:08 PM
I just reinstalled the entire game and i'm still having the same issue as all of you :/
Posted By: Furyan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 06:34 PM
For me, the first time it happened was talking to a random Rat, i saved during the conversation and tried to reload, game crashed, since then the load times have been insane, and the game crashes every time i approach a few spots, like fort joy square for example but there are many more spots like that, rendering the game unplayable, i am about 25+ hours in, have not progressed to second act.
Posted By: Massicot Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 07:59 PM
So not only was I having this problem as well. Since leaving the fort the chugging/freezing has stopped but I still crash whenever trying to load a save from in game.
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:06 PM
Hey.

Spoilers following:

So started having the crashing issue while loading a save in game playing while in Wrecker's Cave and reloaded a save about 30 mins outside of it. Luckily I had a few saves just before going into the cave. This started however while I was in a fight with 3 voidwooken in a part of the cave off to itself with all the eggs.

So now I'm going to start the cave again to see if this issue happens again. Hopefully it won't but ain't holding my breath.

Voice
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:16 PM
Hey.

Sorry for the double post. But, I have an update on this.

I loaded a save from main menu to about 15 mins from outside the cave just before fighting the the Dwarves. I then made a new save and reloaded that save while still in game and it worked. So I then thought I would try loading a save where I was crashing all the time and after a good amount of time like may be 5 to 6 mins of loading it actually worked. I'm in game using a save the previously crashed on me.

Now I don't know if that was a one of time or something but it actually worked. May be someone can try and see what happens?

Voice
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:26 PM
If it helps,

I was having the same problem as all of you--I restarted, and I'm at the same point I was with my first game, and I haven't had any issues at all.

The only major difference is that I haven't stolen anything up until this point. The last game that was crashing a lot, I could trigger it by stealing from people--I'm not sure if it's this is correlation or coincidence, but so far so good smile

Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:29 PM
Nope, I tried, didn't work for me. :(
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by adamaj
Nope, I tried, didn't work for me. frown

Hey

Yeah I just tried myself and got a crash. I'm going to leave the cave and try a save and reload back in town. See what happens then.

Voice
Posted By: IcySteps Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:50 PM
Awesome, thanks for posting! I've restarted as well, but knowing that this bug could happen this time as well I felt pretty discouraged to continue. I will be sure to remember not to steal this time.

I just wish stores didn't charge me outrageous prices...

Also, do you always get the "save successful" window after saving? I didn't see it once or twice after I saved. I immediately started assuming the worst..
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 08:52 PM
Hey.

I don't think it's got anything to do with stealing. Some people haven't stole anything and still getting the issue.

I thought it was because the area I was in. But that didn't solve it either.

Voice
Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 09:25 PM
[quote=VoiceGS] [quote=adamaj]Nope, I tried, didn't work for me. :([/quote]
Hey

Yeah I just tried myself and got a crash. I'm going to leave the cave and try a save and reload back in town. See what happens then.

Voice [/quote]

At this point I'm scared to play until they release a statement or patch. I do have a save from a few hours previous that doesn't crash when loaded within the game, BUT, who's to say it won't start doing it an hour (or 30 hours) down the road? I just don't want to invest time into the game when it could become unplayable at any minute. It's not fun constantly worrying about it, especially with the way I play (I quicksave often, in case a theft goes wrong, etc.). Not to mention I don't want to replay the same area over and over.
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 09:29 PM
Stealing have nothing to do with it. I started a fresh game and got the bug just after waking up in the ship.
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by VoiceGS
Nope, I tried, didn't work for me. frown

Hey

Voice

At this point I'm scared to play until they release a statement or patch. I do have a save from a few hours previous that doesn't crash when loaded within the game, BUT, who's to say it won't start doing it an hour (or 30 hours) down the road? I just don't want to invest time into the game when it could become unplayable at any minute. It's not fun constantly worrying about it, especially with the way I play (I quicksave often, in case a theft goes wrong, etc.). Not to mention I don't want to replay the same area over and over.

Hey.

Exactly my thinking as well. I basically do what you said when stealing things. Quick Save then reload if I screw up and I quick save often when exploring and during fights. I've just decided to continue playing my game and when I need to reload I'm gonna try going to main menu first and then load the save and see how that goes.

This is really annoying and I wonder if I had stayed with the release build would I be getting this issue?

I really hope Larian can fix this ASAP. I'm off work till Tuesday and I really want to play this game.

Voice

Posted By: IcySteps Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:00 PM
I'm guessing that this bug happens because some (unhandled) exceptions are thrown during runtime. If there is a data-stream after it happens, it is pretty unpredictable what the outcome would be.

If someone was to save after an (unhandled) exception happens, the error could be baked into the save file never to be removed again. At this point, the only eventuality for the save file is to be totally corrupted as the baked error could generate others.

Also, I'm not certain, but it seems to me that the game does not release memory after loading a save file if a game session already started (to reduce loading time). This could result in errors spilling into the newly loaded (or started) game.

These are just my thoughts on what could cause this issue, I obviously don't know how Larian coded the engine. Based on what ekidhardt posted and what I saw I could still imagine that stealing could play a role in starting this cascade of errors.
Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:02 PM
[quote=VoiceGS][quote=adamaj][quote=VoiceGS] [quote=adamaj]Nope, I tried, didn't work for me. :([/quote]
Hey

Voice [/quote]

At this point I'm scared to play until they release a statement or patch. I do have a save from a few hours previous that doesn't crash when loaded within the game, BUT, who's to say it won't start doing it an hour (or 30 hours) down the road? I just don't want to invest time into the game when it could become unplayable at any minute. It's not fun constantly worrying about it, especially with the way I play (I quicksave often, in case a theft goes wrong, etc.). Not to mention I don't want to replay the same area over and over.[/quote]
Hey.

Exactly my thinking as well. I basically do what you said when stealing things. Quick Save then reload if I screw up and I quick save often when exploring and during fights. I've just decided to continue playing my game and when I need to reload I'm gonna try going to main menu first and then load the save and see how that goes.

This is really annoying and I wonder if I had stayed with the release build would I be getting this issue?

I really hope Larian can fix this ASAP. I'm off work till Tuesday and I really want to play this game.

Voice

[/quote]

Yeah, I want to play too, and I could continue by just restarting the game each time, but I'm just worried that since the file is corrupt, at some point it will become unplayable some how. And I just don't want to replay the starter area over and over. : /
Posted By: Dekduee Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 10:19 PM
I can confirm the corrupted saves weight a lot more than the normal ones, usually around 11mb. I did a test on a previous save, when transitioning from Hall of Echoes to Act 2 the save file gets corrupted, the loading times increase by a lot, the notifications on skills learned, items obtained, quest updates and similar stuff get delayed and crashes occur when reloading other corrupted saves.
Posted By: OrderofDayan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 16/09/17 11:15 PM
Ok I may have a fix or at least a temporary one for the crash bugs. I did some fiddling with the files that are in my save files and got it to kinda work. You will still get a little lag when you go from outside Fort Joy to inside it but 5 - 10 secs of lagg is better than crash.

What you will need:
You will need the GR2 Converter program listed here http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605573. Download it and extract that program. Then you will need this file https://ufile.io/fcdks .

What to do:
"READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU TRY"
1. Create new folder called "whatever" on your desktop.
2. Go to where your save files are for the game (this is usually in the my documents folder under Larian Studios ) and select your current profile and the most recent save file ("it will be called "something.lsv") that is bugged.
3. Copy that file to the "whatever " folder on the desktop and change its name to "buggedsave.lsv" and put the levelcache.rar file that you downloaded earlier in the same folder.
4. Create two new folder called "new save game" and "bugged save game" inside the "whatever" folder.
5. Open the GR2 Converter program then click on the tab that says Pak/LSV Tools, under versions choose V13 Divinity Original Sin :EE, Original Sin II.
6. Click on the 3 dots next to the box under Package Path and navigate to the "whatever" folder then select your save file.
7. Click on the 3 dots next to the box under Extraction/ Source path then choose the "whatever" folder then click folder called "bugged save game" then choose that folder and click ok then select extract package.
8. Go to the "whatever" folder then go to the "bugged folder" and copy all the files inside it then go back to the "whatever" folder and go into the "new save game" folder and paste it inside it.
9. While inside the "new save game" folder delete the folder that says "levelcache" .
10. Go back the "whatever" folder and find the file called levelcache.rar right click and choose extract here then copy the folder "levelcache" and paste it inside the "new saved game" folder.
11. Now open or go back the the GR2 Converter program and in the tab that says Pak/LSV Tools, click on the 3 dots next to the box under Extraction/ Source path then choose the "what ever" folder then click folder called "new save game" and click ok.
12. Click on the 3 dots next to the box under Package Path and navigate to the "whatever folder" then under where it says file name enter the exact file name as the original save file (must do this of the game over writes it back to the bugged version) then click ok.
13. Click the button that says create package .
14. Go back to the folder where your save game was originally from and take only the bugged ".lsv" file (leave the image file) that was there and move it some where else secure. Go to the "whatever" folder and copy the new ".lsv" file you just made and paste it in to that folder.
15. Open the game and choose continue, when that save is loading a popup will show that says this file has been tampered with, don't click on it until after the game has loaded. It will do this every time you load the game from this point on i think.
16. This should make the game load and not cause to many problem. READ MY NOTES BELOW

Notes.
This worked for me as i am on the quest to to free the Elf, use or try at Your own risk. Backups of saves are good.

I don't know the extent as to how this will effect the game later because i just found this bug today.

"This is a levelcache is from an earlier save that was working fine and did not have an issue with forjoy. If it does not work for you or you are further in the game and it does not work, then you may need to find a save file on your system that works fine and do the same swapping for levelcache with it."

If you open your save that you extracted that is bugged and look in the level cache folder you will see fj_fortjoy_main.lsf is about 27 megs or larger than i think it should be, where as if you look at the fj_fortjoy_main.lsf that's part of the file i have linked is about 7 megs. I do not know what this means this is only my finding for want, wait no, needing to play this game :P.

There will still be a transition lag ( about 5 secs or so) when you go from outside Fort Joy to inside it from anywhere else. But as i said 5 secs to play the game compared to CTD or Looping crash or System Crash is way better.

If you have any issue what my steps let me know, this is my first time posting any kinda help like this.

Posted By: pouet007 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 12:32 AM
I tried something for my new playthrough: for some reason, I thought that maybe the issue is caused by overwriting saves; so I'm playing without quicksaving, just regular new save every time I need to, without overwriting. I much farther than I was when I got my issues, lvl5, traveling after fort joy. I got no issue with the central area of fort joy no matter how many times I went back and forth, got no issue with teleporting to the statue in fort joy, no save/load issue either.

Could be coincidential, could be that the bugs are waiting somewhere farther in the game, could be that not overwriting saves is a solution. I'll keep playing like this and I'll come back here to update.
Posted By: HoppStyle Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 12:46 AM
Hey. I did exactly these steps and it really worked. I'm getting like 10s freezes in fort joy and thats all. But I encountered another problem after this fix. Every chest or inventory i'm trying to loot is empty ( if you move your cursor over a chest its normaly gold/yellow. Now its ALWAYS grey and empty).
Second bug: Enemy in fights wont attack me anymore. They just end there turns everytime...
Maybe its my fault. I did all these steps with a 7,5mb savefile and maybe it was already corrupted.
Any of you guys got the same problems?+
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 01:05 AM
Hey.

So it's best to do this on a un-corrupted save file then? Or can I use a corrupted one?

Voice
Posted By: Benovation Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 01:44 AM
After contacting support I was told to post my save file here via dropbox or google drive, so here it is for any support that need it. Or simply anyone who is interested in finding the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36mt0qv0fo14pja/Fort%20Joy%20-%204h47m.zip?dl=0
Posted By: Deathmaw Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 01:57 AM
Uploading saves here to hopefully help. Having the same issue.
Fort Joy - 5h54m Loads fine, loads decently fast and can reload this save while in game with no problems.
The other 3 take longer to load and cannot be loaded into while already in game or the game will crash to desktop at around 70% loading of the save.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4qzHY5HQPKoYUQwTEN4X1VhWHc/view?usp=sharing
Posted By: jaredfishy Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:10 AM
I did quite a bit of testing and uploaded a set of save files as well. I posted a new thread about it with my findings - not a fix or anything, just results of my testing.

Posting in this thread as well just for visibility.
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=612877#Post612877
Posted By: HoppStyle Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:24 AM
Update: I did it with a 6mb uncorrupted savefile again and it seems to work. No freeze, lag or crash, everything runs fine (but i dont know how long.) I messed up the convertation in my first post. I wrote "Temporary" above the line with "CHILLED" instead of "WET".
Thank you!

EDIT:

NVM its rip again. Doesn't matter where you are or if yoursavefile is 6mb
Posted By: Isdren Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:37 AM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1j8cs9iMeC_N1ZPdHJmSmlXLTQ?usp=sharing

Heavy corrupted.
~4min loading time
long savetimes
CTD if loading ingame
CTD if you trade with Jahan x:292/Y:286
CTD if you trade with dwarf worker X:468/Y:212

and so on and so on. Cant even go into the basement of the house and loot the all barrels...

Hope they can find the problem with all the uploaded savegames so far.
We used Quicksave VERY ofthen .)
Posted By: TkTheus Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:51 AM
Played more than one hour without saving and rushed to the end of fort joy and after the battle ended the act.
The bug seems to happens only in Fort Joy and on act 2 I'm playing just fine. The error is Fort Joy.
Posted By: D00med Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 03:28 AM
Currently ruined any progress for my current play-through. Need a hotfix badly for this.
Posted By: OrderofDayan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 03:32 AM
I still get the 10 sec lagg spikes when i got inside Fort Joy but I'm trying to rush through that to go to next act. What i have learned from doing this is that it is directly the save file for your game and specifically the levechace, if this helps the devs or if someone could forward that to them i think that might help. If any of my instructions were not clear just let me know and ill try and make a visual aid of the process. Sadly i think doing this will forever cause that tamper popup that i don't know how to disable.
Posted By: Darthemane Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 03:58 AM
This is happening to me and only started in Driftwood. The save file is exponentially increasing in size as you progress. The more saves, the larger the file size. I hope for a fix very soon as it is almost unplayable.
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 04:12 AM
In case any of you missed this,

Dayan on page 5 of this thread figured out a work around. I haven't had to use it yet..but nice job! Hopefully I don't encounter the error again today.
Posted By: Dekduee Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 04:18 AM
Same in my case, the save files started to grow in size in Driftwood, had no issues at Fort whatsoever. It's not about the location but the saves themselves and some sort of memory leak.
It gets only worse, to the point that it keeps trying to save the game while you can't quit or load another one.
Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 04:35 AM
[quote=ekidhardt]In case any of you missed this,

Dayan on page 5 of this thread figured out a work around. I haven't had to use it yet..but nice job! Hopefully I don't encounter the error again today. [/quote]

That person also said, "Sadly i think doing this will forever cause that tamper popup that i don't know how to disable."

While I appreciate the effort, I'm not trying to jump through all kinds of shady workaround hoops that may or may not have unintended or worse consequences later, just to play this game. I'd rather just wait for a patch. I wish they'd give us an update.
Posted By: Massicot Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 04:59 AM
One thing I've noticed that might be related is that every save and everytime I open the map, it says "Fort Joy", even though I'm nowhere near there anymore (though I am still on the island).
Posted By: Inousha Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:25 AM
I have corrupted saves files even in act 2. It started in Wrecker's cave about 10 hours into the Act 2. Game crash everytime i try load last saves. First load after starting the game works.
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:24 AM
Hey.

So woke up this morning after getting fed up with this issue last night and hoping that they're would be a hot fix or patch to fix this problem. But, nope.

It would have been nice to have a comment from Larian regarding this game breaking bug. (Might not be a game breaking bug. But, it can be since it takes 4 mins to load up and then your scared if you need to reload.) You know to tell us your looking into it and hope to have it fixed soon. I'm pretty astonished that there has been no comment and a bit disappointed.

All I want to do is play your god damn brilliant game but I can't because somehow it's broke. Right now there is no point in playing the game which is sad really.

Voice
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:37 AM
It's a Sunday unfortunately, the key people at Larian who could potentially solve this issue have probably taken the weekend after the launch off.
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:41 AM
Hey.

Which sucks but understandable. I go back to work on Tuesday and all I wanted to do was enjoy my weekend and play the game.

Voice
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by VoiceGS
Hey.

Which sucks but understandable. I go back to work on Tuesday and all I wanted to do was enjoy my weekend and play the game.

Voice

Same here, I'm actually a little jealous of the people who are playing the game right now without issues. I can't escape all the buzz surrounding the game and majority is positive, but somehow that makes this all the worse because I want to experience it for myself.
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:48 AM
Octaaf commented on steam and they are looking into it. Also some QA testers.
Posted By: Gibek Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:49 AM
Same problem. It started in Wrecker's Cave around 14 hours in.

My save: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_r6kaeMnpLaRGF2OVduWlN2akU
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
Octaaf commented on steam and they are looking into it. Also some QA testers.

Hey.

Well that's good and it's all I wanted to hear. Just hope they fix this soon. Would there be any chance you could link the thread that he posted in please?

Thanks.

Voice
Posted By: Braumeister1978 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 10:18 AM
Hello when Larian Fix this Problem?
I send my Saves to Larian its really a big Problem i didnt wont Play the Game if i allways must restart if i Load.
Posted By: Saltful Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 10:35 AM
I loaded uncorrupted save and everything was fine until I pressed F5 to quicksave and it is stuck in saving process. I can't load a save because the option is grayed out and it keeps saying "saving...".

EDIT:

nevermind, this save was also corrupted, because when I went to middle area of Fort Joy then game froze and crashed.
Posted By: Ratzing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 11:19 AM
The problem with saves crashing lies in levelcache files of your save. Haven't had a problem in the first act (levelcahce of Fort Joy was around 6 MB), in Reapers Coast when the total save size reached over 13 MB (~30 hrs of playtime), boom, 4 minutes loading screen and crashing when loading in-game.

So while hotfix might fix the further bloating of savegames, I wonder if they can do anything for existing saves.
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 11:27 AM
I don't get why only some people have this problem and why they didn't have it in the EA. It seems like this is completely new to them.

Devpost on steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/6/3223871682614105719/?ctp=2
Posted By: mirg Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 11:57 AM
[quote=FadeToBlack]I don't get why only some people have this problem and why they didn't have it in the EA. It seems like this is completely new to them.[/quote]

It's prob because this issue seems to be mostly occurring on the steam platform and because most of the "fixes" revolve around loading a older save file. Meanwhile, players like myself who have no older save files to load, aside from the first autosave at the start of the game (I ain't starting my whole game over from scratch). That this issue is a major one for those players in my shoe who encounter this problem because the only fix would be to start over from the start of the game.

Those who don't encounter this issue are prob not very far in the game as I have noticed that this seems to mainly occur once you leave fort joy. Something in the patch released before this problem occurred screwed up with this save files in the game and they don't know what caused it. It would help if they released patch notes on steam or whatnot so we'd know what they altered/ fixed besides guessing all the time :$
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 12:00 PM
I don't think so tbqh because I had this problem before I applied any patches at all. Idk why you think the patch is responsible. They changed a lot from EA to full release, and the bug was added in the process.
Posted By: Saltful Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 12:02 PM
I got it fairly early in the game. I quicksave a lot so that might be why.
Posted By: Nirdish Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 12:06 PM
I was having this problem almost as soon as I started Driftwood, and it kept getting worse and worse, but I slogged through it anyways. It got better after I cleared the act and moved onto the next zone, so perhaps it's some consolation that whatever the issue is isn't permanent? I'm now an act farther than that and my quicksaving and quickloading are working just fine.

Curiously, the bloating file size thing hasn't changed (my last one was 20.5 mb), but the problems with loading and such have gone away.
Posted By: Ratzing Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nirdish
I was having this problem almost as soon as I started Driftwood, and it kept getting worse and worse, but I slogged through it anyways. It got better after I cleared the act and moved onto the next zone, so perhaps it's some consolation that whatever the issue is isn't permanent? I'm now an act farther than that and my quicksaving and quickloading are working just fine.

Curiously, the bloating file size thing hasn't changed (my last one was 20.5 mb), but the problems with loading and such have gone away.

It's natural, since the issue is with paricular act "general" file in your savegame. So if you had the issue in Fort Joy, it will reset in Reaper's Coast, and issues in Reaper's Coast will dissapear in next zone.

Basically, the bloating is zone-specific (or act specfic).
Posted By: landauc87 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:03 PM
Can anybody confirm that if you avoid using quick saves, and hard save only, this issue won't raise it's ugly head?
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:11 PM
Okay! So...I did some testing with suggestions offered earlier.

I followed some earlier advice about editing the save file---and I extracted the fortjoy level cache file from the saved game of my initial landing on the beach, then took my corrupted save and extracted the fortjoy level cache file--deleted the corrupted one, replaced it with the one from the intial landing at fort joy..and voila! (you actually don't need to replace the fortjoy cache file, you can just delete it and re-package the save and it'll create a new, clean one)

Everything was/is working except--with lots of weird issues. The map and world, including loot thinks you have never been there. You can re-loot everything. Some NPC's dont talk to you, pets don't talk to you, people you killed are now alive again. ETC--lots of weird stuff.

So, while it fixes the loading/saving--it breaks a bunch of other things which I can't seem to un-break.

This game that was corrupted most recently was a complete re-start without stealing anything at all--so it will happen again and again if I were to start again. So I have to stop playing until it's fixed.

The problem with the saves, I think, lies somewhere in the cache file for fort joy. It is possible to edit that cache file as plain text--but as I'm not a coder, nor have idea what to look for-- so it wouldn't help me much. But clearly, the result of the main problem is getting saved in that (and any) cache file. I think if someone knew more about coding/xml than I did (I know nothing)--the problem area could be deleted and the save could be salvaged.

But, as it stands now--fixing the save/load problems introduces a host of other weird issues. More importantly--the original bug causing this to happen will continue to happen in fort joy and whatever other zones you're in.

That means I need to stop playing until it's fixed, sadly. If anyone else has any other ides..by all means!

Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by ekidhardt
That means I need to stop playing until it's fixed, sadly. If anyone else has any other ides.. by all means!

Hey.

That is what I've done now. Don't get me wrong. When your in game and playing it's fine and dandy. But, if you need to reload then you're screwed. Not worth it.

Will just have to wait till they fix this.

Voice
Posted By: Wouter445 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 05:04 PM
I think the problem is with the amount of useless data the save game needs to deal with.
For example why do corpse not getting removed from the game? Their is no reason they getting saved on how they died or where.
Posted By: HoppStyle Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 05:12 PM
Okay, i think i got it because it works for me. First of all i went to my savefiles -> check properties from all files and delete all files bigger than 6,8mb. Everything over 7mb is corrupted and you'll get 5min loading times and crashes/freezes.

Then i used this method here: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605573 with my latest savefile that is between 6 - 6,8mb that is not corrupted.

Ingame dont use quicksave. always save manually and dont overwrite them. always use a new one.

This method is just temporary. That means you can play for like 2-3 hours befor it gets corrupted again. Every now and then again to your savefiles and check your latest file if its over 7mb or already 8mb. IF SO: delete them, use the method again and play again for few hours.

It works for me, maybe it'll work for you.
Posted By: Isdren Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 05:30 PM
[quote=HoppStyle]
Ingame dont use quicksave. always save manually and dont overwrite them. always use a new one.

This method is just temporary. That means you can play for like 2-3 hours befor it gets corrupted again. Every now and then again to your savefiles and check your latest file if its over 7mb or already 8mb. IF SO: delete them, use the method again and play again for few hours.

It works for me, maybe it'll work for you. [/quote]

So even if we dont quicksave and always save manually as a new savegame the game WILL get corrupted anyway?

Maybe (just maybe) the problem is saving itself at the moment.
If you noticed: If you save the game (quicksave or not) the screen will go grey for a short moment where you cant do anything, then the game goes back to normal BUT you can still read on the bottom right "Saving" and the notification that the game is saved comes a few seconds later.
The problem: You can walk, loot, talk, fight, sell, buy ect. while the game is still saving.

Coud this be the reason the save gets corrupted? Course you and the NPCs do "stuff" while the game is still trying to save?
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 05:41 PM
@HoppStyle you're not wrong actually. I have a string of 7 autosaves that are all between 6mb and 7mb, no problems loading any of them - the 8th autosave is about 2,5 hours after the 7th and is suddenly close to 10mb and has all kind of issues. I have no idea what could've caused this bug either, the only thing I did was clean up Flesner and his lackeys. If the problem is related to stealing then the only I stole from are the silent monks.

I simply don't get it, seems like you get the bug randomly at normal play..
Posted By: ChrisPVille Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 05:50 PM
tl;dr I found at least one big problem with my level cache, but it should be fixable

I too am having this problem at fort joy, which started to become visible once I began stealing things from NPCs. Given that theft probably causes creation of a timers and queued interactions, the software developer in me got suspicious that some resources were being created/duplicated and not properly removed.

I'm not talking about memory management per-se, but the deletion of events either completed or no-longer valid. Given that save files are growing and the crashing starts to happen at memory exhaustion, my guess is a ridiculous number of copies of something in the save file, with the file compression hiding the scope of the problem until you go to load it.

-------

After reading about the level cache change-out fix, I decided to decompress my levelcache and see what was going on. Assuming that ExportTool v1.8.3 isn't lying to me, I wonder if it is normal for the cache to contain 27,642 nearly identical copies of ITEM_Ceramic_Pot_A and 27,661 _FTJ_Brutes_Knife. My uncompressed levelcache in XML format was nearly 300MB, mostly filled with copies of the ceramic pot and the knife.

The good news is if this is truly the problem, our save files are likely fixable in all but the laziest of conceivable patches. There may still be more going on, so only Larian can offer an official explanation and answer whether a restart will be required.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 05:56 PM
That's really interesting and somewhat hopeful, Chris. If you have any save files that are under 7mb, could you tell us if those are also filled with ceramic pots and brutes knives or if it is just in the bloated saves?
Posted By: Saltful Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:01 PM
BTW do you people with corrupted save files also have the problem where game locks up when you go to Fort Joy kitchen area? Like insane memory leak that my entire PC is locked up and I cant alt-tab, only hear in-game music and thats it.
Posted By: ToxicBurrito Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:07 PM
I just got the crash on reload as well. Here's my save files - one that seems to work, one that does not. They're before and after a fight happened in act 1 in a particular cave with roses so it might be useful.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au28bZFM86HIgcN2m0vCu1Mkzswifg
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Saltful
BTW do you people with corrupted save files also have the problem where game locks up when you go to Fort Joy kitchen area? Like insane memory leak that my entire PC is locked up and I cant alt-tab, only hear in-game music and thats it.

Yeah, that's the memory leak area. If you're unlucky it'll crash your entire PC because windows no longer has any RAM left to keep running.
Posted By: CurryCatastrophe Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:19 PM
I restarted my game using a new profile. I did some messing around Fort Joy and here's where I narrowed it down (for me at least).

Tested killing certain NPC, stealing outside loot, stealing from vendors, not stealing, and a few other things. The moment this bug occurred was after initiating the fight with the Fire Slugs in the caves. Loading a quicksave that I created right before the fight carried over the bug, loading a regular save that was a few minutes earlier DID NOT carry the bug over.

I was able to continue my game normally without dealing with the slugs (I did the Red Prince marriage pass) in combat and I haven't had any issues at least for now
Posted By: ChrisPVille Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:25 PM
[quote=Eolath]That's really interesting and somewhat hopeful, Chris. If you have any save files that are under 7mb, could you tell us if those are also filled with ceramic pots and brutes knives or if it is just in the bloated saves? [/quote]

All of my manual saves and quicksaves are over 7MB. The autosaves are smaller and interestingly, they only have a handful of ceramic pots and brute's knives instead of tens of thousands.

It does look like there is some sort of item duplication that occurs in the levelcache, but maybe the autosave has a different/abbreviated format leaving out that junk.

An experiment to try, load up your latest autosave and see if it has the same freezing problems. Either way, there is a bug in the game and the save file growth is just a symptom of that. i.e. there is nothing we can do for now except temporarily delay the problem.

I am tempted to write a program to parse and fixup the levelcache, but without knowing what is causing the problem, that seems too dangerous.
Posted By: Furyan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:27 PM
Not fort Joy, but multiple other areas the same ones always, freezes for about 1 minute completely.
Posted By: Toomuchbob Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:31 PM
So basically we know it can happen in multiple acts, at seemingly any time, and for some reason we have tons of duplicate entries for pots and knives.
Posted By: SikSan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:32 PM
[quote=CurryCatastrophe]The moment this bug occurred was after initiating the fight with the Fire Slugs in the caves. [/quote]

I did not fight fireslugs at all, but I got that mem leak/long loading bug aswell. So fireslugs are not the case.

I'm going to try to restart a game with the whole Larian folder cleaned, disabled autosaves and 1 quicksave (since you can't disable it). I'm just curious if it will work with manual saving only
Posted By: ToxicBurrito Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:38 PM
[quote=ToxicBurrito]I just got the crash on reload as well. Here's my save files - one that seems to work, one that does not. They're before and after a fight happened in act 1 in a particular cave with roses so it might be useful.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au28bZFM86HIgcN2m0vCu1Mkzswifg[/quote]

To follow up, I've tried to reproduce this.

I loaded up my good save, then saved right after I killed Radeka the Witch again (I only killed her in that encounter before saving again) and my file bloated up by about 1 mb. Reloading that file worked, but resaving over the bugged file increased its bloating by 1 mb.

Guess I am not doing that fight right now :\
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:41 PM
^
I don't think it's related to a specific enemy. For me it triggered after Miles, for Curry after the Fire Slugs and for you after Radeka. Or perhaps it's related to all of them, I don't know.

Originally Posted by ChrisPVille
An experiment to try, load up your latest autosave and see if it has the same freezing problems.

My autosaves are also corrupt, it's just that the only save that went back far enough to be before the save game bloat occurred was an auto save smile
Posted By: Saltful Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:42 PM
This seems to be my last uncorrupted save:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kFkXbsa-xLNVI4ZzRnQjl4ck0

This seems to be the first corrupted save:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kFkXbsa-xLQktzcm9ja1hKdTQ
Posted By: livemas Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:51 PM
80% of the uncompressed level cache seems to be the same thing repeated over and over. Removing all that and repacking seems to fix the issues, shorter load times and no freezing, but gives a warning that the same has been tampered with.

Hopefully the root cause of this can be fixed soon.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by livemas
80% of the uncompressed level cache seems to be the same thing repeated over and over. Removing all that and repacking seems to fix the issues, shorter load times and no freezing, but gives a warning that the same has been tampered with.

Hopefully the root cause of this can be fixed soon.

How about the size after repacking, is it about the same as before the bloat?
Posted By: Braumeister1978 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:57 PM
i load a 10 mb update now maby they have fixed the Problem.Sry for
my bad english
Posted By: ToxicBurrito Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:57 PM
[quote=Eolath]^
I don't think it's related to a specific enemy. For me it triggered after Miles, for Curry after the Fire Slugs and for you after Radeka. Or perhaps it's related to all of them, I don't know.
[/quote]

Yup, the fire slugs don't seem to be triggering bloating for me. This is fascinating as it is annoying.

Edit: HOLY HELL THE 10 MB PATCH FIXED IT FOR ME :O
Posted By: ChrisPVille Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 06:57 PM
[quote=livemas]80% of the uncompressed level cache seems to be the same thing repeated over and over. Removing all that and repacking seems to fix the issues, shorter load times and no freezing, but gives a warning that the same has been tampered with.
...[/quote]

I'm glad that worked. I didn't want to try because the duplicated items seemed to have references to their handles in other parts of the file, but it looks like I was either mistaken, or the file is parsed in an order which is insensitive to them (or your game will explode at some later date).

I wonder if the tamper warning is caused by errors during parsing or a failure of the embedded MD5sum or both. Does anyone know if there is a technical description of the levelcache and what it is used for?
Posted By: Saltful Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:01 PM
I just got a 10mb update on Steam, a fix?

EDIT:

Can confirm, fixed it.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:05 PM
Hm, I don't see it on GOG yet. Maybe I'm blind or it'll trigger later or something.
Posted By: landauc87 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:10 PM
The new update fixes corrupted saves??
Posted By: ChrisPVille Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:12 PM
I just got the patch through Steam, resaved my latest, and my levelcache is now 1/6th the size it was and all the duplicated knives and pots are gone! No freezes yet.
Posted By: ekidhardt Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:14 PM
oh my god they fixed it!

My games which were bugged and lagging/crashing are now smooth as butter!

Chris, I think you were totally onto it though smile Go team!

Let the addiction begin!

Thanks Larian!
Posted By: VoiceGS Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:15 PM
Hey.

Thank you guys so much for spending your Sunday night at work fixing these problems. I can now go back to playing your awesome game!!!

Voice
Posted By: taraskb Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:18 PM
Yep. The latest patch fixed the level for me too.
Posted By: FadeToBlack Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:28 PM
THX LARIAN. The hotfix really fixed it smile Can qick load again.
Posted By: AdaSirin Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:31 PM
So does this patch fix the issue for saves that were already affected? Are bloated saves playable now, or is it best to start over?

Either way, thank you Larian for addressing this so quickly! That was much faster than I expected.
Posted By: Gibek Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:32 PM
All is working now.

Part of me wants to just keep reloading my save over and over againg. It is so smooth now.

Great job Larian.
Posted By: Megashed Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 07:35 PM
Thanks for working over the weekend, all works now.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 08:09 PM
That's good news, unfortunately it seems the patch is not out on GOG yet, perhaps tomorrow smile I'll just continue playing on my buggy save with the consideration that sooner or later it'll get fixed.
Posted By: Henk Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 08:12 PM
thx for the patch
Posted By: Redkinn Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:20 PM
The patch did not solve the issue. Still experiencing the issue, in fact it started right after patch I think.

GOG version of the game to be specific.

Posted By: ReptileBrain Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 09:53 PM
Not sure if this is exactly the same issue, but I'm experiencing a sort of freezing as well. The game sound will cut out, then the characters will continue to be able to move around for a few seconds, then the game will freeze for 20-30 seconds. Hotfix didn't seem to resolve.
Posted By: adamaj Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 10:14 PM
Yes! The 10 meg patch appears to have fixed mine too!
Posted By: Veligan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 10:29 PM
Fixed for me too.

Thx to all the people that worked all this week end to fix it !
Posted By: Candyg Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 17/09/17 11:03 PM
Thx for the patch :)
Posted By: Deathmaw Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 18/09/17 12:04 AM
Thank you for the patch Larian! I can get back to playing your amazing game again!
Posted By: Furyan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 18/09/17 04:12 AM
Fixed so far for me, well done, did not expect to wake up and be able to play the game :)
Posted By: OrderofDayan Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 18/09/17 04:31 AM
Yay for fix and if anything i did aiding in figuring out the problem then YAYAY. Now to continue my DOS2 marathon.
Posted By: Redkinn Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 18/09/17 04:58 AM
[quote=OrderofDayan]Yay for fix and if anything i did aiding in figuring out the problem then YAYAY. Now to continue my DOS2 marathon. [/quote]

Sadly it's still not fixed for GOG users.
Posted By: pouet007 Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 18/09/17 01:01 PM
Yes, I'm on gog and still waiting for the fix, good job anyway, great that you found time to help on a week end. Now I wait for the gog patch ^^
Posted By: Redkinn Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 19/09/17 04:32 PM
Issue is still not resolved....quite sad that the game is basically unplayable.
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 19/09/17 05:49 PM
The fix is both available on GOG and on Steam. If you're suffering from crashes regardless it might be another problem. I personally haven't had a single crash in about 6 hours of play since Sunday evening.
Posted By: Mobilious Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 19/09/17 05:51 PM
Still not resolved on my end :(
Posted By: Eolath Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 19/09/17 05:54 PM
What patch does the main menu say you are on? The latest is 3.0.142.271
Posted By: SomeoneOnline Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 20/09/17 05:16 PM
I think it's caused by NPC's getting stuck with their pathfinding. This usually happens after they run away from combat.

The elf by the tidepool with the geo spells for instance can get stuck on the rocks, and for me, one of the quest givers ran off and got stuck behind a wall, the issue resolved itself after I teleported or killed the NPCs, so I'm pretty sure their broken pathfinding was causing the lag.
Posted By: Nameless Hero Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 22/09/17 11:30 PM
I'm not experiencing outright crashes, but I am experiencing abnormally long loading times on a very solid rig with a good SSD (with plenty of spare space). The loading times get worse the further I progress into the game. Right now we're talking 4-5 minutes to load but its increasing and Im only halfway through the game.

Ill post a DXdiag on request but Ive seen enough anecdotal evidence of long load times from people with all sorts of solid hardware to guess that the game needs some optimization there. Obviously those who had gamebreaking bugs had it worse, but thats still insane loading times.
Posted By: wulphy Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 23/09/17 12:14 AM
[quote=Nameless Hero]I'm not experiencing outright crashes, but I am experiencing abnormally long loading times on a very solid rig with a good SSD (with plenty of spare space). The loading times get worse the further I progress into the game. Right now we're talking 4-5 minutes to load but its increasing and Im only halfway through the game.

Ill post a DXdiag on request but Ive seen enough anecdotal evidence of long load times from people with all sorts of solid hardware to guess that the game needs some optimization there. Obviously those who had gamebreaking bugs had it worse, but thats still insane loading times.[/quote]

Same as you. Sometimes it takes so long I believe it won't ever even load, and for some people that seems to be the case. My rig/SSD is not the issue, there is a problem with the game.
Posted By: whatif Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 23/09/17 01:01 AM
Last patches didn't fix anything for me, and it starts to drive me crazy...

Loading a save in Driftwood takes approx 10 minute on a decent rig.

All of my saves are manual, disabled autosave from the getgo.

Tried to use the unpacker, rc_main.lsf is 12Mb compressed and 180Mb unpacked, with 3 273 101 entry in it (wtf) ...

Sadly I'm too retarded to find duplicates in this mess, how the hell do you isolate dups in a xml when you dont know what you're looking for ?!

I'm really pissed at Larian on this one, the game is brilliant on many aspect, but there is/was some HUGE oversight with some decision regarding the QA/Architecture.

(Like the pathfinding is all fucked up and probably suffer some racing/loop condition).

Anyway, halp me fix my save pls ! (livemas and ChrisPVille in particular ^^)
Posted By: wulphy Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 23/09/17 01:22 AM
@whatif

I had the same exact situation as you. Uninstalled/reinstalled twice and on the second time I am loading my saved without issue. No idea if that will do anything for you or why it changed the second time, but it seems to be fixed for now.
Posted By: Nameless Hero Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 23/09/17 11:25 PM
Reinstalling fixed it? Huh. Thats weird, but I guess Ill give it a try. Seems like a long shot though.
Posted By: Lonya Re: Weird Save/Freezing issue. - 27/09/17 09:35 PM
Seems like a fix if people aint posting anymore about this like a few days.

Strange thing it didnt fixed my problem.

So i decided to play the D:OS EE Game in the meantime and hahahh..... the same problem occurs there too....
© Larian Studios forums