Larian Studios
Posted By: PixelPi Linux - 13/11/16 12:28 PM
Hello Larian!

I discovered Divinity only two weeks ago (Enhanced Edition). I hope that the second part also appears for Linux in the future. The game is awesome. I have encountered so far only some small issues, which occurred mainly in the coop mode. However, the game is absolutely playable and clearly belongs to the better ports for Linux.

I've read that there was a lot of trouble, because you had difficulties with middle-ware under Linux. I hope you will not be discouraged, because you have finally delivered a great game for Linux.

It would be interesting to know if the work has paid off for you financially. Of course, I do not expect you to reveal numbers here. But certainly the experience with D:OS will influence the decision whether there will be a Linux port for D:OS2 or not.

If you decide to make a port, do you tend to have a native port again or will you use wine as a wrapper? Do you use OpenGL or DirectX for D:OS2 on Windows?

Some developers now use Vulkan to support all platforms. But I do not know if this is an alternative for you. You even support consoles and you certainly have your own procedures.

Nevertheless, my recommendation: Please continue to support Linux if you can. :)

Regards
PixelPi
Posted By: Raze Re: Linux - 13/11/16 10:21 PM

D:OS 2 is using DirectX 11 in Windows. A programmer has looked into adding Vulcan / DirectX 12 support to the engine, but I don't know if that is something that could be added for D:OS 2; if not, OpenGL would continue to be used if there were to be OSX and Linux ports.
Posted By: Neurosis Re: Linux - 02/03/17 08:56 AM
Hi

I just claimed my Kickstarter pledge (Thanks for the help, Raze :-) ) to have a look at this game. Unfortunately my memory had been playing tricks on me, as I was certain there was Linux support for this title. No doubt, the Linux support for D:OS1EE led me to jump to conclusions. Windows and DX11 doesn't bode well for an attempt with WINE, but apparently someone on youtube has had (at least partial) success with it.

So here's another hope/vote for Linux support. Hopefully it'll be a much more painless process this time around with the code and experience from aforementioned D:OS1EE.

Keep up the good work.
Posted By: ka1man Re: Linux - 07/03/17 07:26 PM
Gotta chime in here, as I am also hoping for eventual Linux support for D:OS2. I played the original while I still had a Windows partition, and liked it enough to back when the Kickstarter for D:OS2 came along. I know I might have gotten myself a game I might not be able to play in the foreseeable future, and that's been a risk I'll live with. Just wanted to emphasize that we Linux-gamers are out there (all three of us! ;-)), so please don't neglect alternative OSes.
© Larian Studios forums