Larian Studios
After playing for over 100 hours and trying out many different builds my main issue of the character development in the game is one of synergy, item diversity and scaling. An example;

If you want to focus on damage with necromancy skills you would need to put those points into Warfare to boost their physical damage. Yet even if you do that you would still be putting points into intelligence which does not affect any physical damage weapon, and using a strength or finesse weapon won't scale with your intelligence so you can not actually build a damage-focused necromancer.

There's several solutions to this specific problem, like having a "Blood" element wand and staff in the game. But that's just a bandaid for a bigger problem which many character concepts deal with; the main attribute scaling. You can't effectively use any weapon not associated with your main skill types.

So for that, why not a somewhat different approach? Multi-attribute scaling. What if each skill(and potentially weapon) would have two attributes to scale on? Let's take a bow for example and make it scale with both strength and finesse; It would get a 20% increase with either 14 Str/10 Fin, or 12 Str/12 Fin, or 10 Str/14 Fin.

It would only affect the high-end scaling after people reach the cap with one of those attributes, but at that point each point is worth relatively less anyway (an additive 5% increase if you already have a 200% bonus modifier is only ~1.66% compared to the first point actually being a 5% increase)

Give skills the same treatment, like Searing Daggers scaling with both Intelligence and Finesse for example; You could have a dagger-wielding pyrokinetic that actually throws searing daggers.

(There could be a talent that lets you add one attribute modifier to a weapon or skill group; "Telekinetic Grasp" to let you use Intelligence for melee weapons for example, with a side-benefit of boosting their range by X according to your telekinesis skill perhaps)

In the end, each skill group has one common attribute like it is now, but individual skills also get a secondary attribute to scale from; "Searing Daggers" would be Finesse/Intelligence, but another pyrokinetic ability "Supernova" could be Strength/Intelligence. For scoundrel abilities like "Chloroform" could be Finesse/Intelligence while "Sawtooth Knife" or "Terrifying Cruelty" might be Strength/Finesse.

And then to Huntsman and Scoundrel skills; The huntsman skills require a bow or crossbow, preventing you from using a wand or shield while using them. While I understand with many of the huntsman skills like Pinning Shot for the wand, there could be made specific exceptions to those skills. And a hand-crossbow to let you use a shield and huntsman skills would also be nice for more build diversity(like huntsman and Bouncing Shield?) In the same vein the scoundrel skills nearly all require a dagger; why not open up that item pool to other weapons depending on the skill itself? "Backlash" could easily work with any melee weapon, while Rupture Tendons could work fine with any slashing weapon like swords and axes.

TL;DR: You're prevented from using certain weapon/skill combinations due to attribute scaling and weapon availability which is limited even further by the limited selection of weapons for Huntsman/Scoundrel skills.
Necromancy is the one with the problem because of what you described, the fact that the skills are resisted by physical shield makes all the problem.
You're right, though I'd like to add something that really makes me worried. Though the incredibly fast paced gear and hp progression got me worried thinking they were trying to make this game more like diablo 3 or borderlands 2 for some reason, the kick into me thinking this might be the case was the attribute system.

In DivOS 1 all attributes did at least something for every character (that used some magic). This opened up a wide variety of variance in builds, and made stats compete. Now the attributes seem as straightforward and simple as possible, each only have one effect, ONE, besides wits. Dex used to boost your defense rating, accuracy with daggers, and damage with ranger and scoundrel skills. Marksman now just boosts damage of tagged dex things by 5%. I could go on.

Your idea of making stats better by having things cross over into multiple is a good idea, and would help make things more diverse. However I think it's still a bandaid fix for the attribute system being ultimately barebones and oversimplified. I'd like a return to divinity OS 1's attribute system personally, but probably without speed.
That's a good point. Perhaps adding some additional bonuses to the existing skills as they are before might alleviate that?

Even if your dagger would scale with both finesse and Intelligence, Finesse and Intelligence both give a different secondary bonus on top of their damage boost. Intelligence increasing range for skills, finesse increasing movement speed, constitution adding to phys+magic armour?

Just spitballing here, but I don't think my idea is merely a bandaid, but just part of a solution. It still increases build diversity even if attributes give additional different bonuses as changing the attributes by adding things does not remove the problems I mentioned in the OP.
I thought I was the only one thinking this. This game has potential to be so much more. But as it stands it really is a game with build diversity as deep as a puddle and not even as wide as an ocean. It seems as there is only your standard warrior, acher, mage and rogue build which seems to work. Alot of stuff such as the lack of scepters (Melee int/str weapons) to make a warfare with shield and battlestomp actually work. Right now you cant have a magical melee weapon + a shield as the only magical melee weapon is a 2hand staff. Also the fact that a staff deals only magical damage but the stomp's knockdown is physical which renders it kinda useless.

For me, I just wanted to make a character just like the magisters. Cloth robe, cloth pants, plated helm, boots and gloves with shield and a scepter dealing fire damage and going pyro/Hydro/geo/warfare with a mix of str/int/con without feeling like "Y kno, u could just go full str with a 2hand sword n plate armor for better results"
This type of limitation of builds is really hurting the game. If anyone here has played path of exile they have a way better system for this. With heavy plate scaling only with str. Chainmail is str/int. Heavy leather is only agility etc etc. This makes the whole customization way more in-depth and can add for 1000 more hours of gameplay instead of just 3 with each achetype of roles.
Maybe its only me, but i like the concept about a skill dealing physical damage, have its effect resisted by physical armor, and increase damage from INT. Im running a scoundrel/necro/hydrosophist and i have like 18finesse, 13int and it feels nice being able to mix those things.

I mean, im dont know if i agree that every "resisted by magical armour" skill should have int-scaling, and vice-versa
© Larian Studios forums