Larian Studios
Posted By: Sherbniz Transmog/Vanity Item Slot - 09/10/17 11:22 PM
Hey everyone!

With the amazing variety of armor styles available in the game, I would love if there was some sort of transmog system! laugh

However, a dedicated appearance-collection system like in World of Warcraft could be more difficult to code perhaps.

A certain game that I thought did it extremely well, and simply was Terraria.

[Linked Image]

Characters have real equipment slots and "vanity slots".
Each vanity slot is bound to a real equipment slot.

Items worn in vanity slots do not carry over any stats to the character, instead they override the appearance of any item worn in the corresponding slots.

For purpose of fairness, perhaps these items slotted in vanity slots could not contribute to weight.

Terraria also had dye slots to further customize armor color, which would also be really nice but seeing as I don't know if the equipment models support this, it's not needed.

Oh and since I heard the argument that a transmog feature could help "hide" armor class in PVP, it could just be disabled when playing in the arena.

Of course it's not necessary and I am sure the devs have far more exciting things to work on.

But if this implementation is somehow dirt-easy to implement and enough people appreciate the feature, it would be pretty nice! laugh
Posted By: CatR Re: Transmog/Vanity Item Slot - 09/10/17 11:28 PM
Terraria did it right, and keep doing it right. Their system should be blatantly copied by every RPG-ish game out there because damn that vanity game ridiculous.
Posted By: GeneralKong Re: Transmog/Vanity Item Slot - 10/10/17 12:49 AM
Would indeed love the ability to change appearance of items, to ones you have found in the currents game so far (so that you dont get the ability to have your armor look like end level gear)
Posted By: vometia Re: Transmog/Vanity Item Slot - 10/10/17 07:20 AM
Nice idea, and something I'm definitely in favour of. It's not as if it's without precedent as they already have the hide helmets facility, and I do think some of the later game armour looks less interesting than what you get earlier.
Posted By: Draco359 Re: Transmog/Vanity Item Slot - 10/10/17 12:22 PM
I am all up for transmogs.

Guild Wars 2 has similar transmog sistem which goes in paralel with the loot grinding.
Posted By: GreatGuardsman Re: Transmog/Vanity Item Slot - 10/10/17 12:43 PM
I and many others would enjoy being spared from the color-blind clownsuit plague that affects most RPG protagonists that dress themselves in the morning. Vanity slots are an excellent mechanic, and would enable cosmetic rewards for players to hunt down, especially with Uniques that have models visual effects seen nowhere else.
© Larian Studios forums