Larian Studios
Posted By: watcher New playable race: Avian - 02/03/18 12:54 PM
Im making a suggestion of a new playable race that could be implemented in a future patch or dlc.

The avian race can be either winged(allowing them to fly) or non-winged.

Below are the suggestions of an avian race, both for winged design and non-winged design.

Avian(Winged)

[insert name here]: gives you +1 telekinesis
[insert name here]: gives you +10% movement speed and +5% accuracy
Fly By: fly to destination(does not share cooldown with Flight from Polymorph)
[optional] Lift Off: you will ignore ground effects(ex:oil,fire,blessed water) but you will still be vulnerable to ground attacks like Battle Stomp from Warfare, this effect lasts until cancelled by the skil Landing.
[optional] Landing: cancels the effect of lift off allowing you to be affected by ground effects again.

Avian(Non-Winged)
[insert name here]: gives you +1 thievery
[insert name here]: gives you +5% damage
Kick: deals damage and set knocked down(resisted by armor).
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 02/03/18 01:59 PM
sorry for the english mistakes("skil" instead of skill).
As for dlcs the avian could be included along with something else like a new campaign.
I'll also leave a minor suggestion for their appearance - their heads could be based on different birds(ex: the player could choose between an owl,an eagle or a dove head).
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 03/03/18 09:40 PM
Loved the idea always wanted to play as an avian in a rpg, the winged one seems good to any build even without the optionals, mobility is always good, the second option is good too(but i prefer the first), but i would give a 10% damage increase instead of 5%(im guessing that the damage increase affects both elemental and physical damage).
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 05/03/18 03:47 AM
by the way i think this race is more plausible to appear as part of a big dlc rather than a patch.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 05/03/18 10:36 PM
yes maybe with an additional origin(a funny character would be nice) and perhaps with some additional racial dialogue options.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 08/03/18 06:32 PM
what would be the difference between male and female avians?
Posted By: spellkowski Re: New playable race: Avian - 09/03/18 05:13 AM
the females lay eggs
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 09/03/18 08:14 PM
i meant in appearance, how visually distinguish between male and female?
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 10/03/18 02:21 PM
that shouldnt be a problem, if larian ever decides to add a playable avian race they will probably make each gender distinguishable, probably with different body shapes.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 11/03/18 06:16 PM
shapes? like females having boobs?
Posted By: Kalrakh Re: New playable race: Avian - 11/03/18 07:24 PM
Not so practical for birdpeople also there are not really mammals, more something like slender body shape or if you want a matriarchical species perhaps the opposite.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 12/03/18 12:59 PM
female could have a bigger "burst" but not really boobs, as mentioned by Kalrakh one of the genders could have a slender body possibly a little bit shorter too or each gender could be based on different birds like males are based on ravens and owls while females are based on sparrows and seagulls.
Posted By: spellkowski Re: New playable race: Avian - 12/03/18 06:42 PM
why are females the seagulls?
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 12/03/18 07:05 PM
no reason at all, it was simply an example, i just choose some birds that i think it would look cool and distributed them randomly for the genders, males could be based on seagulls without a problem.
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 14/03/18 02:09 PM
boobs could be possible if the "avians" were actually mammalians that looked exactly(or almost exactly) like avians.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 14/03/18 07:58 PM
like some sort of gryphon right? that would be awesome!
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 15/03/18 02:01 PM
i wasnt really thinking of a half feline i meant a race that really looks like a avian from the outside.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 15/03/18 08:25 PM
what do you think about the chances of implementing this race? high chances? low?
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 16/03/18 01:32 PM
until larian give some announcement or confirmation we can't really tell the chances for this to be in the game.
Posted By: Yasen Re: New playable race: Avian - 16/03/18 01:39 PM
Pallegina is coming to OS2... good times.
Posted By: Kalrakh Re: New playable race: Avian - 16/03/18 10:37 PM
No idea if avian type would fit in anyway into the lore of Divinity.
Posted By: Yasen Re: New playable race: Avian - 16/03/18 10:59 PM
Makes a good joke any day laugh.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 17/03/18 12:29 AM
well the lore always seems to be evolving, maybe they could be a nomad race that was not well known, or maybe they came from another dimention.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 17/03/18 12:34 AM
i was thinking about a humanoid avian, something like major teroh from magic the gathering.
Posted By: cool-dude01 Re: New playable race: Avian - 18/03/18 11:43 PM
Don't think bird women need boobs. Boobs are a mammal thing. Females should be distinguished in a similar fashion to that of the lizard females. Different body shape, different head and eyes features, etc.
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 19/03/18 06:09 AM
The another dimention theme could fit well in a dlc campaign, that could make the avians as an "outsider" playable race.
Posted By: amydammit Re: New playable race: Avian - 21/03/18 11:40 AM
I wholly support this suggestion, but how [i]would[/i] they fit in the lore? Do they have their god, too, and if so, why are they not among the Seven? Maybe they are an offshoot of the Lizards, or an unwanted/forgotten creation of Zorl-Stissa, or perhaps Amadia?

Just throwing these out for the sake of discussion and b/c I'm a sucker for concocting backstory :think:
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 21/03/18 02:39 PM
well for lore i mentioned some possibilities like being nomads(you know those people who keeps traveling from one place to another) who were not very well know at the time or being a race from another dimention making them "outsiders", as for their god they could have one of the seven or simply have their own unique deity outside of the seven somewhat similar to what happen to Lohse.
Posted By: amydammit Re: New playable race: Avian - 21/03/18 04:24 PM
Hmm, so kinda like with Adramahlikh and demons, perhaps there are other beings like him who are more or less benevolent or creators in some way?

As an alternative idea, maybe there is a forgotten/nomadic sect of Lizards who had turned from Zorl and toward Amadia? Maybe they migrate between high mountain peaks and/or floating islands, so sighting them has historically been rare?

But perhaps Divinity has lured them down from their lofty perches (hello narrative fodder)?

Coming up with some ideas here might help shape whatever starting perks/affinities/etc we’d like to see. I agree having a skill that’s a combo of Tactical Retreat and Spread Wings would be awesome though

Another complication is adding another face to the shapeshifter mask for our undead bird people...we *can* also have undead bird people, right? Right?
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 21/03/18 10:55 PM
There is alot of ways to include them in the lore, the outsiders i was thinking about wasnt based on demons(but your idea works too, i hope i understood it correctly) i thought of a world based on another culture, rivellon is mostly based on medieval europe maybe they came from a world based on asian culture, feudal japan could look good(samurai avians),your examples seems good too.

Hm, lizards that evolved into avians seems good too, i personally would prefer that they werent related though but i still liked your idea, yes maybe they traveled in lands where the other races didnt usually go and the events of the game attracted some of them to where the game takes place, if an extra campaign is included there could have a good amount of avians.

Maybe amadia could choose an avian since she could see their potential, again they could have a special god for them outside of the seven.
Thinking about it, instead of having a god they could be guided by ancestral spirits, your character's "god" could actually be a spirit of an ancestor(either a single powerful ancestor or a group of ancestors).

Well about the mask, that wouldnt be a problem since the mechanics for the item is still the same(fane's mask could have an avian transformation included, mostly for gameplay purposes), undead avians are a very plausible idea too.

Additional suggestions are welcome, we need to give alot of different options on how to make this race.
Posted By: Raze Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 11:52 AM

Look at all the new user accounts... that only participate in this topic... for some strange reason.
Posted By: amydammit Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 03:22 PM
Are you saying we’re...flocking to this topic? smile Thanks for the account approval!

@watcher: I’d be down for something apart from the Seven— there’s plenty of corners of Rivellon for avians to originate and a separate lore could enlarge the world we already adore. But there’s also a part of me that just wants to make a fireball-chucking chicken regardless

I’m also curious if there are other ideas out there!
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 03:35 PM
Im guessing that they liked the idea of this new race and decided to create an account just to leave a suggestion about it, that sometimes happens when there's an idea of new races,classes or even weapons in a game.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 03:49 PM
chicken? that could be a head option for the race.
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 05:20 PM
so the devs actually read this post, that's promissing, well i think that if a DLC for this game with the inclusion of this race and a new campaign, among other things, would be very pleasing for many players and profitable for the company, im not trying to be rude i just know that any company needs money to survive, DLCs are a good thing when done correctly, i think that the devs did their best at creating this game and a DLC would only "upgrade" it.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 11:08 PM
dlc is indeed a good way to keep a game alive, it adds new content so the players can enjoy new experiences in the same game, i think a major problem that people find in dlc is that some companies use it in an abusive way, i know a series of games where they purposely make the game as incomplete as possible in order to sell expensive dlc some of which are even more expensive than the game itself. well about your suggestion of a dlc that includes a new campaign and the avian race, i think the idea is good, there are many rpgs that did something like that with good results.
The game is still new and the devs are still working on some fixes so i dont expect a dlc too soon
Posted By: amydammit Re: New playable race: Avian - 22/03/18 11:21 PM
Chicken heads, parrot heads, ostrich heads, duck heads, potoo faces...the possibilities are a delight to consider
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/03/18 03:40 AM
each gender could have heads based on different birds(ex:males- raven,owl / female- seagull,sparrow) or they could be based on the same kind of bird but on different species(ex:males- Red-tailed hawk,Cubalaya chicken / female Cooper's hawk,Silkie chicken).

i think adding a new origin for the main campaign would be problematic, but it could be possible on an extra campaign.
Posted By: Nivv Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/03/18 07:56 AM
I'm pretty interested myself. Anything that isn't a human, or strongly looks human is an extreme rarity as far as playable races go in games. Avians (actual bird-people and not just humans with wings) in particular are near non-existent I am pretty sure.

As far as particular birds to base appearances on, I would vouch for Secretary Birds, Corvids, Vultures, Ratites, and Shrikes.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXsAR3yUQAAe308.jpg:orig[/img]
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/03/18 09:21 AM
Me too! i always wanted a playable avian in a rpg!
Posted By: Kalrakh Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/03/18 04:47 PM
To many different bird heads could be a little confusing and diffcult to explain lorewise though.
Posted By: amydammit Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/03/18 06:56 PM
A fair point...unless their creator was a total loon.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/03/18 08:05 PM
they could be only based on different birds but not exactly like them, for example if the rest of the body has a bird of prey looks a head based on chickens would have some modifications to make it look more "deadly".
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 24/03/18 05:51 AM
you mean a very small amount of species but with some variations?
that could work too.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 29/03/18 04:27 AM
they can only be based on birds of prey?
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 29/03/18 03:48 PM
nope, it was just an example.
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 02/04/18 10:05 AM
I think the fly by racial skill in addition to teleporting the user could also increase the user's movement speed.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 02/04/18 10:59 PM
a secondary effect? why not, i dont think a movement speed boost would make it overpowered, specially if that boost only lasts that turn.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 03/04/18 09:06 PM
How about damaging nearby enemies as secondary effect?
Like a physical version of phoenix dive
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 04/04/18 05:42 PM
That could be overpowered but im not sure, but this effect could cause some annoyance like destroying nearby barrels or accidentally starting fights. but yes its another idea.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 06/04/18 05:48 PM
so, it's a bad idea then?
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 06/04/18 07:41 PM
No, i just gave my opinion about it but that doesnt make your idea bad, in fact if they ever decide to add this race to the game and tests those ideas they might find your idea to be very appropriate.
Posted By: xkillshot89 Re: New playable race: Avian - 16/04/18 04:49 AM
say how about a 20% increase in movement speed instead of 10%?
Posted By: AngeliusMefyrx Re: New playable race: Avian - 16/04/18 04:23 PM
See you wrote a lot.... could be a nice suggestion for DOS3....but I don't see how they would add a new race after completing their game...unless they were to add a new act
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 18/04/18 02:36 PM
if they find 10% too weak they might put 20%
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 18/04/18 02:42 PM
Like someone else mentioned, there could have a dlc for D:OS2 adding a bunch of new things like new campaign and this race, i agree with that suggestion since it can add more interesting things to the game(and increase its "lifespan").
Posted By: Kalrakh Re: New playable race: Avian - 18/04/18 08:12 PM
This is not a open world game, so DLC would be quite difficult to implement. Not everyone would like to start a new just for a DLC. Even though as far as I recall, neither adds nor EE were planned back then.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 19/04/18 01:22 AM
DLCs arent exclusive to open world games, i remember old d&d based videogames with expansions(most were really good) which is a quite similar idea to a DLC, if they add the option to save your party or at least your character then you wouldnt need a new character to play the new dlc campaign.
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 23/04/18 04:45 PM
are you refering to neverwinter nights?
yeah being able to save and use your character seems a nice idea.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 07/05/18 07:09 PM
I wasnt specifying a game but i think that's a good example, the expansion campaign wasnt really "conected" with the original campaign and didnt happen in neverwinter but in my opinion the adventure was very nice.
Posted By: henraku Re: New playable race: Avian - 18/05/18 12:02 PM
i liked the fact that the stories wasnt really connected with each other, both stories could be enjoyed without any required order.
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 24/05/18 04:52 AM
Speaking of dlc/expansions, if they ever add a new campaign they could also add new environmental hazards that could be exploited, for example a bolder that can be released by hitting some structure, dealing physical damage to characters in a certain area.
Posted By: cool-dude01 Re: New playable race: Avian - 27/06/18 01:20 PM
Personally, since there was a God for the Orc and the pink midget race in the game, if there is an expansion, they should introduce those two races as a playable race with their own origin character
Posted By: watcher Re: New playable race: Avian - 11/07/18 08:11 PM
I prefer an avian race over those two but this idea is good, if avians and those two races are implemented we will get more options for the game.
© Larian Studios forums