Larian Studios
Posted By: Baardvark Issues with Tags on Items - 29/10/17 11:57 PM
I'm trying to improve loot variety for armor, and one way I could do that is with tags, where an armor could grant a custom tag which could be caught by scripts. This actually works, but there's two major problems: it doesn't display the tag on the item at all, or in the character tags screen, and moving this item in the inventory seems to crash the editor (though you can equip it with right click + equip).

An alternative to this is using SELF:OnEquip:Status, but this would quickly lead to status bloat with the degree I would like to use this. I'm so close to having basically unlimited options for affecting loot, but just not quite there yet.

On a somewhat related note, it would be awesome if runes could tap into ExtraProperties. They display correctly, but don't function. Conversely, talents granted through runes aren't displayed on the rune, but function.

Posted By: Sinistralis Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 30/10/17 03:56 AM
Shamelessly including a link to my script feedback (http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=633399#Post633399) which touches on itemization, tags, and runes quite heavily and is basically talking about the same thing.

I even touched on the fact that while Statuses currently are the defacto "bridge" between game and script, they shouldn't be. It should be tags, but we are just missing one or two critical things to make that happen.

That being said, I disagree that this is all that's keeping us from unlimited options. We need more dynamic ways to apply, prevent, and heal damage.
Posted By: Baardvark Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 30/10/17 05:53 AM
Right, saw that thread, missed the bit on tags though. What's interesting is that the item tags actually seem to work, so the implementation is most of the way there.

By unlimited options, I meant activating tags will let us hook into scripting, which will let us do anything the game can already do. Indeed more options for damage and such are needed, though that's not even a particularly interesting use-case for armor mods for me. I want more kind of status reflection effects, reactions, etc.
Posted By: Sinistralis Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 30/10/17 06:13 AM
Yea, as we both said Tags feel so close to being complete.

That's exactly what I'm saying about damage though. Dynamic damage would allow us to achieve that because we could modify the damage value based on external criteria, such as unique effects from items as opposed to having to either "negate" the damage which would still fire 'OnDamage" events, or make a 0 damage version of each ability and then swap the skills out on cast.

Hell, between dynamic damage and tags we could probably fake our own elemental properties if you are ok with the UI not really supporting it.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention that tags not working on boosts is a pretty big deal.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 31/10/17 11:37 AM
Kevin, how about this? Think that Larian could fix it?
Posted By: fireundubh Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 31/10/17 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Kevin, how about this? Think that Larian could fix it?

KVN is on vacation until Nov 17.
Posted By: smarmbot Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 18/11/17 12:49 AM
Lack of ExtraProperties functionality for runes has been bumming me out. Nice to know I'm not alone.
Posted By: smarmbot Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 19/11/17 07:05 PM
So I can get SELF:OnEquip statuses working on specific items but not for item boosts. Is there any way to get scripts to recognize item modifiers at all? (For instance, a script that recognizes when you have a ring that adds plus one to Summoning.) Or is that something that we'd need expanded tag functionality for first?
Posted By: Koala Re: Issues with Tags on Items - 24/11/17 05:11 PM
Hi Baardvark, I made the original post here: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=633399#Post633399, but I've copied over a relevant part which will hopefully help you out as well.

Originally Posted by Larian_Koala
If you want an example of how A) works, open the stats editor and navigate to "Projects-> Divinity: Original Sin 2-> Stats-> Armor-> ARX_Barracks_ConfiscatedGoods_NobleHelmet"

*There are a few things you need to make sure to do if you want a tag to be visible on the item tooltip and character sheet:
- Make sure the tag is present in the Tag Editor
- Make sure the tag category is one of the following: Gender|Race|Profession|Origin|Story
- Make sure the tag description is filled out (optional)
- Make sure the tag description is translated (optional)

Sincerly,
Koala
© Larian Studios forums