Larian Studios
Posted By: Arebum Custom GM Levels Have Hard Shadows - 18/09/20 07:58 PM
I have recently gotten into modding for dos2 and have really been grooving on it. I managed to create a rather large level geared towards GM mode and play it with my friends, no problem. However, I'm now trying to make additional levels and I'm consistently having the same problem: The shadows are rendering as pitch black, effectively making it impossible to see. To make it even weirder, the shadows appear pitch black in both the editor camera in the modding engine and in the game client in GM mode, but not in the game mode of the editor when I'm testing it with the dummy.

I have tried rendering the light probes, deleting the light probes and re-adding them, and switching the light probes back and forth between distant and local. I have two levels that this issue is happening on, one with only a single light probe, and one with several (one distant and several local). Both seem to have exactly the same problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a known solution?

Posted By: Arebum Re: Custom GM Levels Have Hard Shadows - 18/09/20 08:40 PM
Quick note with something else I've noticed: The light probe in the level that works (which is also under a different project) is light blue, while the light probes in the bad levels are black.
Posted By: Arebum Re: Custom GM Levels Have Hard Shadows - 20/09/20 10:50 PM
I've been trying to solve this problem pretty much constantly, and I have a minor update: I realized that my light probes were not set up correctly earlier - you actually need one distant light probe for each atmosphere trigger that you're using. Once I fixed my light probe issue, everything looks good in the editor... The only issue is that it still doesn't work in GM mode in the game client. In the game client, if I use the mood panel to change my atmospheres, suddenly the shadows render properly. I now suspect that the last problem I'm experiencing has something to do with the atmosphere triggers in the editor. I will keep everyone posted if I manage to figure it out, but if someone knows what's wrong, please tell me!
Posted By: Lounatic Re: Custom GM Levels Have Hard Shadows - 13/10/20 11:15 AM
Hey Arebum,

had the same problem and fixed it. I try to remember how ^^... It had either something to do with the "relationship" between my atm triggers and the selected level data atmosphere or rendering lightprobes inside the editor. If I remember correctly, any light outside an atm trigger is not calculated inside that specific atmosphere. Maybe that helps a bit. Still hanging on my texture issue ;P ... (sorry for bad english)

Edit: Runnin in that same problem again. In the editor everything fine, but in GM mode those hard pitch black shadows. In my forest you can see nothing at all ^^ .... :(
© Larian Studios forums