Larian Studios
Posted By: Moon_Kush Divinity Engine crashes - 25/09/20 04:00 PM
Hello

I recently purchased new computer upgrading in terms of hardware performance from the previous one. I have all of the latest updates installed and other games and applications are working without any issues.

However, whenever I try to load any level or sandbox in Divinity Engine 2 it crashes on both definitive edition and normal version of the engine. What kind of information should I provide to you guys to start troubleshooting or get some help?

What I tried:
- various reinstallations of engine
- reinstall of the game itself
- disabled then deleted my antivirus
- rebooted PC obviously

I am stuck here and have no idea what else I can try and there should be obviously no issues with my PC as it is supposed to be a monster for gaming =/ However, engine had no issues running on previous one. Please help
Posted By: The Composer Re: Divinity Engine crashes - 25/09/20 10:42 PM
Is your monitor running on another resolution than '1920x1080'? If yes, try setting your resolution to 1920x1080 and then boot up the engine. Does it crash then?
Posted By: Raze Re: Divinity Engine crashes - 26/09/20 02:58 AM

For the Steam version, in the library right click the game, select Properties, switch to the DLC tab and make sure 'Divinity Engine 2 Data' is checked off to install.

Is there any difference if you try to start the editor directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\The Divinity Engine 2\DefEd\DivinityEngine2.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator?

In the '..\The Divinity Engine 2\DefEd\Config' folder, try renaming the Config.xml file to bring up the prompt to enter the data path again. Usually a problem with that (accidentally pointing to the Classic data, for example) causes a crash on startup, though.

Try doing a clean boot and then start the editor directly from the DivinityEngine2.exe executable. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

If you check the Event Viewer, does that give an error code or 'Faulting Module' file name that might help identify the cause of the crash, if it is crashing?
- click Start (or WinKey-R), then type "event viewer" into the search box. in Windows 10, 'event' should bring up 'View event logs'.
- after starting the Event Viewer, expand 'Windows Logs' in the left column and select 'Application'
- in the center column, look for a recent error for the game (maybe sort by Date and Time, or search for 'DivinityEngine2')
- check the information under the 'General' tab below the list of events, starting with "Faulting application name..."
© Larian Studios forums