Larian Studios
Posted By: sonnyc Stop consumables scaling with char level - 09/10/17 04:21 PM
I am trying to make a scroll/potion that will add a debuff to a character, let's say -5 int and -5 wits.

I followed the guide on creating a new skill book, and have managed to create the relevant stats pieces and place the scroll/potion in the world.

For clarity:
1. I am using the Peace Of Mind/Burn My Eyes skill as a template, and changing the relevant fields.
2. I created a SkillData > Target skill. I changed the SkillProperties field to "MIND_DRAIN, 100, 3".
3. I created a StatusData >Status_CONSUME row called MIND_DRAIN (once again, a copy of CLEAR_MINDED with values changed). I set the StatsID to "Stats_MindDrain".
4. I created a Stats > Potion called "Stats_MindDrain", once again copied from "Stats_ClearMinded". I set Intelligence field to -5, Wits field to -5, and Duration field to -1 to make it permanent (so it has to be fixed by some story mcguffin).
5. I then created the a new scroll/potion item, assigned the stats values as per the skill book tutorial, and set the UseAction field to the relevant stat.

When I now place the object in my level, and have the test character pick it up, it keeps reverting to -1 Int and -1 Wits. I am assuming it is simply scaling with level, since the test character is only level 1 and if I place a Peace Of Mind scroll in the world, it only increases character stats by 1, even though it is set to 3 in Stats_ClearMinded.

Is there a way to stop this scaling from happening, so it has a flat -5 at any level, or starts at -5 and scales from there? Also, is there a way to hide the stat effect of the scroll/potion so it says something like "Unknown effect"?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)
I haven't dabbled much with stats yet, but I know from the game that the different health potions don't scale. Try inspecting them and replicate how they're made?
Posted By: Logic Re: Stop consumables scaling with char level - 11/10/17 08:42 AM
I ran into the same problem trying to make a skill give +5str +5fin -10int.

It doesn't actually scale with character level. There is a column called actpart under your stat_ that you created. It act like a multiplier to the attribute points, and possibly other stats. Set this number to 5 and then set your attributes, it will take some tuning, but the higher your actpart number, the higher your stats can go.

I believe in order for me to get +5 it was something like 9 under actpart and 7 for the stats.
Posted By: sonnyc Re: Stop consumables scaling with char level - 11/10/17 09:46 AM
[quote=Logic]I believe in order for me to get +5 it was something like 9 under actpart and 7 for the stats.[/quote]

Ah thanks a million! I was wondering what those columns did, but I thought it was more of an organisational field so Larian could basically search by items in a specific part of the game. I'll give that a go today and see how it works.
Posted By: sonnyc Re: Stop consumables scaling with char level - 12/10/17 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Logic
I ran into the same problem trying to make a skill give +5str +5fin -10int.

It doesn't actually scale with character level. There is a column called actpart under your stat_ that you created. It act like a multiplier to the attribute points, and possibly other stats. Set this number to 5 and then set your attributes, it will take some tuning, but the higher your actpart number, the higher your stats can go.

I believe in order for me to get +5 it was something like 9 under actpart and 7 for the stats.

So that seemed to do it for me! When I set ActPart to 12, it kept whatever number I put in the various stats fields. Thanks for the help!
© Larian Studios forums