Larian Studios
Posted By: Cromcrom [On hold] Frontiere - 05/10/17 10:31 AM
[Linked Image]

Hello all,

Frontiere is an action/adventure/survival project.
It heavily focus on combat, randomization, exploration.
No elaborate quests (yet).
A native skill system that permeates many interactions in the world.
Like if you want to successfully follow tracks, you will have to learn the tracking skill. I plan to add many skills.

The setting is a reimagined "conquest of the New World" setting.

Right now, I only have two areas,
a little fort,
[Linked Image]
and a forest
[Linked Image]
to explore.

Not published yet, because I want to flesh it out a little bit, by adding a fetch quest.

Cheers.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 05/10/17 10:33 AM
Credits:
Windemere
SniperHF
Kevin
Ameranth
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 05/10/17 10:35 AM
Features:

Skills:
Tracking - Survival.

Various
Randomly respawning populated areas.
Respawning boss.
More ways to gain XPs.

Testing needed
Multiplayer, mostly, as I can't test this feature.
Posted By: Branvex Re: [project] Frontiere - 05/10/17 12:02 PM
Sounds really interesting, looking forward to play it.
Posted By: Windemere Re: [project] Frontiere - 05/10/17 12:36 PM
Very glad to hear of your progress with this. That tracking skill sounds interesting! I like the setting too, it's a fresh idea for a game like this. Looking forward to trying this out. smile
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 08/10/17 07:24 PM
V0.00001 released for testing.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162858262
Nothing great, just the basics of the systems I want to add. Just so that you people can get somewhat of a feeling of what I want to do. However, if nobody cares, I will probably not keep modding, because it has been very very hard so far, although I know why (mostly, it is very early in the release, and the engine support is not complete yet, although the community and devs have done an amazing job so far, and I am trying to reproduce some NWN2 inherited coding reflexes)
2 areas, a beach and "fort", and a forest.
ennemies: crabs, wolves.
Critters: boars, deers.
a crab boss, a wolf boss. Respawning after 10 minutes. Their location is fixed. Best way to gain some random loot.
skills: tracking, survival. they are just variables that will improve chance of success when interacting with some items, don't expect nothing fancy.
there is no quest, just some bounty hunting, and two skill teachers, that will ask for gold.
areas are randomly refilled with critters and interactable items.

Cheers.

Posted By: monzua Re: [project] Frontiere - 08/10/17 09:02 PM
will do a run tomorrow - sounds interesting. will give feedback smile
Posted By: monzua Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 09:23 AM
Did a playtest today - Had some fun killig crabs , I think the idea is great following. Sadly I wasnt able to test the skills because althrough I had 140 Gold he two guys didnt offer me to learn tracking etc. It seems you Need to check your Dialogs again they seem Buggy.

I love the feel to kills crabs and I like the idea they respawn but the amount of exp I get for returning theire loot is so low ^^ - Killing a Level 4 wolf is bejond my possibilities haha. I discovered that hidden entrance between some Stones on the beach - I felt like i discovered something but found nothing.

I invested my first Gold in gear (big mistake since I wanted to save cash for skills). Also I was irritated about not having a minimap at first - But I get why it is the case since i noticed you have
one on the other region. I also dont know how to solve it on my own mod.

I was very suprised that this sign outside the fort teleported me without warning lol - Either I think you should use a different typ of item for teleport or ask if the user should be really teleported.

What I love the most is the hunting area - sadly I wasnt able to test it but it it felt great the Little up and downs - tress water it gave a great Feeling - until i was able to see fort hope from the site of map haha - you should use region trigger to disabled the view ^^

Let me know when you fixed the issue with Dialog and ill retry it.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 11:34 AM
Thanks a lot monzua. Those. Dialogs. Are. Such. A. Pain. Just godamn asking a condition to check if the player has enough gold is beyond my scripting skills right now.
Did you find the ol' crab? Did the bounty hunting work ? (that is gaining XP and gold when turning the bounties in ?)
Posted By: monzua Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 01:30 PM
Yes bounty hunting worked great - you should increase XP gain a bit - I dont know how much you get via tracking but that 1 XPsh per crab is way to low ^^

I didnt find the ol' crab ^^ But the thing is because of missing minimap for that area its hard oriantating

What Option do you use to check if the Player has Gold in inventory? I think your issue might be due to frame delays if you query the result of the check to early before the check delivers result you will get no correct response. (Larian Update wiki about Frame delay - this caused so much Frustration on my site the last days... https://docs.larian.game/Osiris_Overview#Frame_Delays)

Posted By: Branvex Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 02:04 PM
I made a script checking if the player has enough gold

Code
IF
(whatever condition)
AND
CharacterGetGold(_Player,_Gold)
AND
_Gold > 99
THEN
ObjectSetFlag(_Player, "hasMoney");
Proc_GiveNPCGold(_Player,CHARACTERGUID_ticketVendor_f8a54b4d-d096-4f42-a3a7-2a23d851ae26,100);

Checks if player has at least 100 gold, then if so gives NPC 100 gold. Don't know if this what you're looking for.
Posted By: Branvex Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 02:11 PM
I made a script checking if the player has enough gold

Code
IF
(whatever condition)
AND
CharacterGetGold(_Player,_Gold)
AND
_Gold > 99
THEN
ObjectSetFlag(_Player, "hasMoney");
Proc_GiveNPCGold(_Player,CHARACTERGUID_ticketVendor_f8a54b4d-d096-4f42-a3a7-2a23d851ae26,100);

Checks if player has at least 100 gold, then if so gives NPC 100 gold. Don't know if this what you're looking for. Will check out the map later!
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 02:20 PM
There:
Code
DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(1,"fron_master_tracker",100,"fron_master_tracker_100");
DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(1,"fron_master_tracker",1000,"fron_master_tracker_1000");
DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(1,"fron_master_tracker",5000,"fron_master_tracker_5000");

DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(1,"fron_master_survivalist",50,"fron_master_survivalist_50");
DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(1,"fron_master_survivalist",500,"fron_master_survivalist_500");
DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(1,"fron_master_survivalist",2000,"fron_master_survivalist_2000");

DB_TransfertPayment("transfert_payment_50",-50);
DB_TransfertPayment("transfert_payment_100",-100);
DB_TransfertPayment("transfert_payment_500",-500);
DB_TransfertPayment("transfert_payment_1000",-1000);
DB_TransfertPayment("transfert_payment_2000",-2000);
DB_TransfertPayment("transfert_payment_5000",-5000);

IF
DB_DialogCheckRemoveMoney(_num,_dialog,_goldvalue,_flagtocheck)
AND
ObjectFlagSet(_flagtocheck,_Player,_dialogueID)
AND
CharacterGetGold((CHARACTERGUID)_Player,_count)
AND
_count>=_goldvalue
THEN
ObjectSetFlag((CHARACTERGUID)_Player,"node_authorized");

IF
DB_TransfertPayment(_Flag,_Amount)
AND
ObjectFlagSet(_Flag,_Player,_dialogueID)
THEN
CharacterAddGold((CHARACTERGUID)_Player,_Amount);
//ObjectClearFlag(_Player,"node_authorized");

I checked the dialogue, an issue was that, indeed, I wasn't waiting for a frame.
But then I got lost with all the flags I need to check and set and remove and stuff, the questions, answers, and stuff, just to have a 3 choice dialogue node appear.
GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD this is so unbelievable. And I am sure that when we got an explanation or whatever, it will be so simple...

I have other things to work on. My butchering and skinning scripts, for example:
This is how the butchering script looks like:
Code
INIT
	CHARACTER:__Me
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_1=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_1=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_2=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_2=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_3=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_3=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_4=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_4=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_5=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_5=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_6=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_6=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_7=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_7=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_8=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_8=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_9=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_9=-1.0
	EXTERN ITEMTEMPLATE:%item_10=null
	EXTERN INT:%chance_item_10=-1.0

EXTERN STRING:%novice_skill=null
	EXTERN STRING:%companion_skill=null
	EXTERN STRING:%master_skill=null

EVENTS
EVENT InitCheckButchering
VARS 
	FLOAT:_ButcheringSkillMod

ON
	OnDie(__Me,_Dam,_Killer,_ItemFrom)
ACTIONS

IF "c1"
	CharacterIsPlayer(_Killer)
	THEN
		Set(_ButcheringSkillMod,0.0)
		IF "c1"
		HasUserFlag(_Killer,%novice_skill)
		THEN
		Set(_ButcheringSkillMod,0.15)
		ELIF "c1"
		HasUserFlag(_Killer,%companion_skill)
		THEN
		Set(_ButcheringSkillMod,0.35)
		ELIF "c1"
		HasUserFlag(_Killer,%master_skill)
		THEN
		Set(_ButcheringSkillMod,0.70)
		ENDIF

Add(%chance_item_1,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_2,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_3,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_4,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_5,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_6,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_7,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_8,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_9,_ButcheringSkillMod)
		Add(%chance_item_10,_ButcheringSkillMod)

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_1)
		THEN
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_1,1,0)
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_2)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_2,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_3)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_3,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_4)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_4,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_5)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_5,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_6)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_6,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_7)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_7,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_8)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_8,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_9)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_9,1,0) 
		ENDIF

IF "c1"
		IsRandom(%chance_item_10)
		THEN 
		CharacterAddToInventory(__Me,%item_10,1,0) 
		ENDIF
ENDIF

I still need to validate it.
As you can see, I need to learn how to use lists, because right now, this is such a pain. Anyways, I am in a learning process, but I have to admit, it is really painful so far, with lots of setbacks...

Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 02:27 PM
And that crab is located east from fort hope. Exit the fort and follow the palissade to the right. XPs and gold bounty is better that lil' crabs wink
Posted By: Windemere Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Branvex

Checks if player has at least 100 gold, then if so gives NPC 100 gold. Don't know if this what you're looking for. Will check out the map later!

What happens if the player spends or drops the gold in between the time you set the flag and the dialog checking for the flag takes place? wink

I think this is best handled either by Script flags or a different approach. I have not used script flags myself yet so I cannot give specific advice other than to look at GEN_Check_PocketGold scripts and then the matching 'Dialog Variables' from the Dialog editor. It looks like there is an existing value for '50' in GEN_CheckMagicPocketGold, so using that script may be what you want.

Another more convoluted approach would be to create an item in the NPCs inventory that costs 50g and let the mechanics sort out when the player has enough gold to buy it. Then you could catch on the item being added to the player's inventory.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 05:26 PM
Thanks, Windemere. I my first version, I reversed engineered the code you are talking about (actually, it is GEN_TransfertNPC gold, or a stuff like that. And you can set it as set or check flag). It worked. And then, for "some reason", it didn't work, when I recreated my mod not inherited from D:OS2. That was a real moral blow, because I was so happy when it worked, because I had spend some hours trying to understand it.
And I mean, once you know the tricks, many things from the editor are fairly simple.
THERE HAS to be a simple way to check, in a dialogue, if a player has enough gold. It CAN'T be otherwise, because if not, it means this editor and langage coding is a piece of crap. I mean, in EVERY editor or langage I modded (log, nwn2, mab wb) with, it was mostly as simple as:
condition - has_gold - >= 50
No need to create some circomvoluted ways for this.
So I will wait a bit, I have other scripts and systems to create, and given time, the simple solution will probably appear. I have high faith in scriptsflags, I am pretty sure they will very simmply solve many problems once I grasp them.

What happens if the player spends or drops the gold in between the time you set the flag and the dialog checking for the flag takes place?

You are right. this is another stupid possibility I will probably spend hours trying to fix and study.

Cheers.
Posted By: monzua Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 06:07 PM
Well as far as i am aware if you set the flag during an dialog and check within same dialog for result you should be save. But anyway this is something what could happen 1 out of 1000 tries a player plays mod lol - people who want to break the system will always find a way - (like scam an NPC for 100 Gold haha) as suggested i think for now its good to use till there is a more practical solution smile
Posted By: Windemere Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 06:45 PM
Hey Cromcrom,

I was able to get a script flag working. I created it as follows:

[Linked Image]

The only part not shown is a dialog variable called Check50Gold_amount, which is pretty straightforward to create and I just set an integer at 50. One dialog node checks that the flag is set and the other checks that it is not set. Also, create the variable before you create the script or it will throw an error.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 09/10/17 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot. I will be working away for the next few days, but then, will dive into all this. So much potential hehe

Cheers hehe
Posted By: Ghatt Re: [project] Frontiere - 10/10/17 05:41 AM
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Glad you got through that rough patch.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 11/10/17 09:10 PM
Updated. should be available on steam again. Nothing much, but dialogues should offer the proper options. Some tweaks to monsters.
Butchering and skinning added. Not as skills, but as ways to generate loot on critters.
Should be multiplayer.
Huge thanks for people that support and help hehe
I am always in the process of learning, and bettering my scripts and routines.
Next step:
an underground area filled with critters and dangers.
skinning, butchering, herbalism, prospecting skills and teachers added.
I would like to work on tweaking the resting system.
I have some plans for a custom crafting system, but need to make the very first verifications
I need also to learn more about corpse, because I can't get rid of them now, and they are filling the map pretty fast. And my butchering and skinning use an ondeath event, but it is not really satisfactory, I rather use an onUse on corpse. I need to dig into that also.
Cheers.
Posted By: monzua Re: [project] Frontiere - 11/10/17 09:23 PM
going to play tomorrow smile
Posted By: Windemere Re: [project] Frontiere - 11/10/17 11:50 PM
Nice, welcome back. smile I'll give it another shot in the next couple of days when my itinerary clears a bit! Grats on the progress.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 15/10/17 04:28 PM
Updated.
Added a new area, full of rats.
added herbalism, prospection, skinning, butchering skills and their effects.
Added some stuff to maps, although this is not my "field of expertise", scripting takes so much time.
Improved some scripts.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 17/10/17 11:27 AM
Added custom resting system:
use camp items will create a camp (actually, a frontière sleeping bag) in 3 qualities: poor, normal, excellent, depending on a survival skill roll.
those camps will last a few seconds, and allow more recovery if better.
camp items have 15 uses.
You will have to wait for 2 minutes before setting another camp.
Will make it in next "big" update.

Project:
I am thinking about adding a custom crafting system.
Right off my brain, I would use some special containers:
add in some items, and when the container closes, create the new item, depending on proper crafting skill.
PROS:
should be quite easy to script. (gasp !) and very open ended. Add a recipe, some recipe modifiers, some ingredients, and recover item, leftovers, and so on...Depending on crafting skill.
Hello charred food from novice cook hehe
CONS:
Need some kind of workbench for all recipes.
Recipes would be separate knowledge, that would take some room.

my first fast reading of apis and functions indicate this should be feasible.
Maybe use a convo at some point, but I really hate convos so far, enven though Tinkerer made a great description of dialogues in the wiki. But I need more info about script flags. Right now, they are usefull, but not very user friendly.

Cheers.

Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 18/10/17 07:47 PM
Some great day today, as I managed to code a quite complex system (fishing), with dialog inclusion, and back and forth between osiris and script
What it does:
You get a warning when entering a "proper fishing spot"
There, you can use a fishing rod (custom frontiere item)
You need worms to fish.
You can find worms on the beach, within thick welps,
or using a shovel in some areas (to do).
Once in the proper spot:
use the rod.
after some time, a fish will bite. you then have a few seconds to use the rod again.
Then, 5 possible results:
critical failure: damage the rod, lose worm, gain XP
failure: lose worm, gain small XP
partial success: either lose the worm and gain XP, or gain fish and damage rod slightly, through convo choices (thanks Tinkerer smile )
success: gain fish
critical success: gain fish, keep worm.

Depending on fishing skill level.

TO DO before next update:
add the fishing master and a quest and environment. The small colony is growing bigger by the day hehe
add gathering worms system.

I would like to further refine my rest system, through the use of status, although I haven't started looking into this yet.
And keep looking into that custom skill based crafting system.
Chers hehe
Posted By: monzua Re: [project] Frontiere - 18/10/17 08:34 PM
wow - will try tomorrw and give feedback!
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 18/10/17 08:57 PM
This is not updated yet, I want to flesh out things a little. Will probably upload tomorrow.
Cheers.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 19/10/17 06:31 PM
Credits for this update:
mostly
Ghatt
Windemere. I learn an incredible lot of things about osiris and dialogs thanks to you Noisy Crypt Mod. Thank you so much hehe
Tinkerer
Me. Shit I deserve it smile
and some others. Thanks everybody hehe

Updated today:
Added fishing skill
added fishing: use fishing rod in fishing spot. wait for the fish to bite, and use the rod again. make sure you have worms. worms can be bought, or gathered from under thick welps.
added fisherman and its quest.

TODO:
now that more and more people are arriving in fort hope, focus on the inn, and rest/stress system. what I envision:
as time passes, player will gain a tired, and exhausted status. he will have to rest to remove these status.
resting will be done in the wild, thanks to a camp, and depending on survival skill, or in beds in the inn.
According to the room quality (from poor to lordly), he will gain a "well rested" or "perfectly rested" status for varying time.
camping in the wild could provide the "shitty night" negative status, like when you wake up tired and aching from a night in the wild, and you survival skill is terrible... However, a master survivalist could provide a well rested night in the wild, too hehe

Stress: should be harder to code, but if a player lose more than 1/2 of its HP in a fight, he would gain the "stressed" status for some time. Not on my prority.

some more quests, as I am learning the system, so it should make it easier and easier to add new quests. I need to use this big wolf, and big rats in the mines.

Improve the fishing system:
add more fish variety
make fishing a mini game:
the player starts fishing.
a fish would take the bait.
then
various "tension" levels:
"low tension", to "incredibly strong tension"
they would defile quite fast (like one level per second), usually going up. beyond Incredible tension, the rod could be severely damaged, and the fishing ending automatically.
BUT the more the tension, the more chance to catch the fish, depending on you fishing skill level.
SO fishing will be a choice: do you pull now, while the tension is weak, but with small chance to catch a fish, or do you wait to have better chance to get the fish, but also damage the rod... hehe
Posted By: Thasainz Re: [project] Frontiere - 20/10/17 12:28 AM
Wow, that's amazing, i've just read about this and i already want to test it. :p
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 26/10/17 12:01 AM
Modified fishing to make it a mini game.
Low tension: low chance to catch a fish, but low chance of a critical failure that will damage the fishing rod.
Incredible tension: higher chance to catch the fish, but also of a critical failure.
Pull at the right moment !

Modified rest.
You can rest in camps (that have a limited lifespan), ot buy bed keys to rest in inn. Resting could provide some specific status. The more you wait without sleeping, the more tired you will be. You can also become exhausted.

Added 2 quests.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 28/10/17 04:35 PM
Updated. Not thoroughly tested, might be some remaining bugs.
Added scavenging, wood cutting.
Wood cutting is pretty self explanatory. Scavenging will give the player the opportunity to recover a little gold when searching a humanoid corpse.
Added rat bounties.
First appearance of saskatwan tribe hunters. The saskatwans are a hostile tribe of natives. They are met in the woods near fort hope, as they seem to be coming back to these giboyous hunting grounds. Interactions with this tribe is really limited now, mostly trading arrows and blows. This tribes wherabouts are unknown now.
Added iron ore in the rat cave.
The prospector is turning into a smithy, and gathered a few crafting stations.
Added interactable trees.
Improved resting script.

On an internal, scripting part, I layed the foundations for specific items use and qualities when interacting with items, like a good woodchopping axe will give bonus when woodcutting. Not added yet.

Next big step will be custom crafting system, taking skills into account, and various types of results.
Then, most systems will be in place, I will be able to expand the world and quests.

Cheers.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 30/10/17 06:56 PM
Just to let my "fan club" know that I have the proper basis for the custom crafting system.
Just 2 ingredients now, easy to add more.
I want to have as much as 5 ingredients, and gold as a 6th.

I am right now focusing on adding variables:
crafter skill level, recipe difficulty and knowledge, workstation quality, tools quality.

Next, I want to have a proper recap for the recipe, just before crafting, possibly some proper feedback.

I will then add recipe summary to the journal.

Results will range from critical failure (possibly harming the crafter, destroying the tools, definitely destroying the ingredients, applying the "stressed from critical failure" status to the crafter...), to failure (destroying the ingredients, not doing the final product, or a bad version of it, having fewer byproducts), partial success (crafting a poor or terrible version of the item, some byproducts), to success and critical success (better items, more byproducts, maybe even remaining ingredients...)

In this prospect, I need to learn how Larians randomized items system works, because this is definitely a must, especially in case of critical success.
I imagine a master crafter would have a little chance to create a really powerful item.

Cheers.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [project] Frontiere - 02/11/17 03:35 PM
Updated.
Prospector bounty should be fixed.
Added skill based crafting. Only 2 recipes now: make a wood stick from a branch, and some wood mulch from branch.
Changed resting a bit. Lying on the bed was provoking some inconsistencies. I removed this animation, resting is now much less immersive, but much fiable system wise.

Small update, I don't know if I will keep modding for too long now. Aww well, I have always been an impatient attention whore ^^

Cheers, modders smile
Posted By: Kahi Re: [project] Frontiere - 02/11/17 03:40 PM
Well, I dread the day I'll start to grind coding. I'm sure it's not that difficult once you get into it, but I never even looked at code in detail. Easier to create areas without it, and I'll survive I think for awhile longer. Haha.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 29/11/17 03:23 PM
Why I stopped Modding D:OS2.
1/ Toolset difficulties: although this current toolset is a major improvement compared to DOS1, there are still some stuff that I couldn't get. I tried hard, oh my god did I try. The final blow for my modding efforts was trying to have a attribute check on a convo node. Fed up with having to reverse engineer the native files, or having to ask the great community for tips about such basic thing. The tools are great and incredibly powerful, but some little details just don't make it for an average coder like me.
2/ Some devs preferences for some mods. Asome mods received total enthusiast support from the devs. So, with my not glamorous, hard working system heavy mod, it feels unfair. I do believe that devs should be more cautious about expressing their preferences in the modding community.
3/ Lack of community support. I can really understand that people want to play with finished products, but as I said some times ago, some feedback, and a little enthusiasm, are the main modder's fuel.

I wish all of you fellow modders the best of luck and perseverance in your projects.

Cheers.
Posted By: Redunzgofasta Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 30/11/17 01:43 PM
That's too bad.
Your project seems very interesting.
But taking a break every now and then is the smart thing to do.
Posted By: morez Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 30/11/17 01:49 PM
A pity but also understandable. Hope to see you back at some time.
I personally also on sleep mode doing any modding or mapping. Never started something ambitious like is anyway. I really think beside some updates and support by Larian it is time to team up for the community. For now there are too many lone wolves. Having more co-op modding with shared goals and tasks could help finishing more ambitious projects as involving modding artists from outside the DOS universe.

Cheers
Posted By: Windemere Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 30/11/17 03:12 PM
Sorry to hear it Cromcrom, it was encouraging to see you making good progress. In the end of the day I think modding has to be something you enjoy in and of itself and not just for the end results. There are too many reasons to want to quit along the way. Hopefully you can re-kindle an enthusiasm for it again at some point. Your mod helped inspire me with some similar ideas and had some interesting concepts.
Posted By: RestingLichFace Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 30/11/17 07:44 PM
Everyone needs a break every once in a while. Maybe you'll decide to pick up the project again. You put a lot of effort into these mods, and your progress did help me out along the way with some of my projects. Thanks, and my (unsolicited) 2 cents is that incremental progress is still progress. Roadblocks come and go, some get frustrating, then are overcome, then repeat. Learning how to overcome a roadblock, even without anything to show for your time and effort, is still progress. If it were not, some fields of science would be stuck in the dark ages.

I do agree with morez; co-op projects would be interesting, but a double edged sword. There's a ye-olde saying in the industry: What can be accomplished by 1 programmer in 1 month can be accomplished by 2 programmers in 2 months. I am all for it, at least personally when thinking about the sheer scope of some of these campaigns I want to make.

Take care Cromcrom, and good luck to you, mate. Hope to see you modding some more soon
Posted By: Tiqon Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 01/12/17 07:37 AM
I never chimed in on this, exactly because I wanted to get into it later. Seems I was too late frown. This was because:

1. I spend almost all my free time making maps (and I take it slow).
2. The time I don't spend making maps I play the main game with my wife. We are currently lvl 15, so we still have a long way until its finished.

I guess lots of people here are in the same boat, either deep into our own projects or playing the game (because it is still pretty new).

Maybe you just were too early wink.

I really love the things you were working on so Tiqon is sad. But I understand your frustration. Totally. You already got some good advice about having a break and such, but for me, when making maps and I get over my head (too big and takes too long), is that I make smaller maps in between, just to get the feeling of finishing something. I don't know if you can use this in your work.

Anyway, if you decide to come back and continue work sign me up for testing! I want to help. I know NOTHING about scripting, but I will test and give feedback if you like.
Posted By: Larian_KVN Re: [On hold] Frontiere - 05/12/17 10:58 PM
Sad to see you're taking a break. But understandable.
I've been following it, tried it out and was interested in seeing it grow.

On your reasons for stopping; I'd like to just chime in briefly, also partially addressing everyone else here.
1/ Toolset difficulties. Not going to contradict this in anyway. It is indeed easier, compared to DOS1, but still a long way from being on usability levels of e.g. Unreal Engine 4. I fully understand it posing a hurdle a times that seems hard to overcome. For that, again, I apologize but also hope to make clear to everyone that we are here specifically for this reason. To answer your questions were possible and help you out as we grow ourselves.

2/ Please do not think you're mod is not awesome or not glamorous enough. The same goes for anyone else making a mod. We, as Larian, and I personally can't express how much we appreciate every mod that gets released. People might have personal preferences when it comes to playing mods because of specific tastes, but we adore every contribution equally. The reality though is also that we're a limited amount of people and the amount of mods is growing steadily. While we keep our eyes on everything, we can't personally mention every mod, especially those still in development. It reminds me of some fan art I recently made which, like many others, didn't make the cut into a public final collection. Back then, someone else said (and I'm paraphrasing): "We love everything you all make. And as a community we couldn't be prouder for your contribution. Not making the final mention does not diminish your effort in any way." If we/I made anyone feel like he/she was being treated unfair, our sincerest apologies. Please keep doing what you're doing, we do appreciate it!

3/ Largely mentioned in 1/ already. We have a ways to go, but we are here. We're very happy to be on this journey and very willing to grow in any way possible.

Sincerely,
Kevin
© Larian Studios forums