Larian Studios
Posted By: Noctro Repost: Sinking Ship - 08/10/17 02:10 AM
Hello!
I'm building maps for my future campaign. This is a WORK IN PROGRESS In one of the first scenes, the group gets trapped in a naval fight and has to defend themselves from the pirates. When they go inside the enemy ship to find the enemy captain, a sudden explosion blocks the entrance.
The canon bay is filling up quickly with water
[Linked Image]
This zone will be filled with some canons that will be piled in the back while the ship is sinkings (i only have this modeled, still don't know the proper texture workflows and stuff)
[Linked Image]
while some pirates are trying in vain to lower the water level in the front of the ship. (No npc's yet)
[Linked Image]
This zone is trashed and filled with debris
[Linked Image]
In the back, the door to the captain's quarter is blocked, the water level is too hight and the door is bolted shut by the pressure
[Linked Image]
Even some of the crew quarters are filling slowly with water [Linked Image]

Ideas i have:
-Tilting the entire ship a little bit, making the canons pile in one zone.
-Should i change the lighting? There's a storm outside, and I'm not sure about how the water looks, it's cool, but I don't know how to make it look better.
-I placed some of the exploding pieces of wall from the main campaign prologue, but i don't know how to make them trigger their animation.
-Any thoughts on how to hide better the borders so they dont see the water planes and waterfalls that pop from the sides?
-Any ideas to improve it?

Since this is a repost from the other subforum i will qute here monzua's reply and my follow-up
Originally Posted by "monzua"
wow nice work! - you should repost it in the modding section to get more feedback smile You should use more light hehe Put some in the middle of the room as if you would have some light comming from a lamp or something. Also did you try to use a region trigger to hide water plans etc? Would be also intersting to see AIGrid you could raise the terrain from one side so it gives the impression the ship sinks and maybe add a really nice tactical aspect to the map (range att bonus etc)

I rotated the ship a little bit, that creates a good illusion. You can see there are some lights on the mast in the cannon room, but the odd thing is those lights seem only to affect the wood, nor the water.
It's my first try with the editor, can you elaborate on the triggers to hide stuff?
Posted By: morez Re: Repost: Sinking Ship - 08/10/17 08:25 AM
Arrrrr i like this arrrr.

As you said rotating the ship is a good idea, though I'd rotate it even more (maybe also around the other axe). I would like to see the stairs no parallel to the water plane would really more diagonal.. Would create more immersion of the sinking ship.
Posted By: Ghatt Re: Repost: Sinking Ship - 10/10/17 05:38 AM
Really interested to see how this ultimately turns out.
© Larian Studios forums