Larian Studios
Posted By: Wormerine Let's talk new UI. - 15/02/22 10:52 PM
Please share your thoughts on new UI.

My initial impression is very positive. It's offers same functionality that before, plus much, much more.

Couple special unexpected mentions:

1) I do like how when youclick on weapon icon to attack the hotbar will default to showing available weapon skills - nice way of highlighting what one can do with the weapon
2) good, clear showcase of what status effects are in play
3) nice, compact character sheet/inventory/equipment
4) search feature is great!

Wishes/nitpics:

1) Because only sorting happens through resource icons, at the moment there is no way to quickly seperate cantrips, like we can leveled spells.
2) I wish items would sort even further into potions, throwables, arrows, scrolls - you know a bit like in main view the hotbar already is divided into main actions/class skills/items. There is so much stuff in BG3 that making it more organised is always welcome (you know I like my things neatly sorted
3) no way to hide minimap anymore? I imagine it is useful in coop, but I find little use in singleplayer. I would happily swap it with combat log (which still is rather barebone)

EDIT: I do think some big UI elements are unnecessary. One needs to find "End Turn" button but it's really humongous. Similarly character's portrait - I am not convinces we really need it. The only function it fulfulls is highlighting whom we are currently controlling - and I would rather use party management UI for that (highlight better character under control) then add another bigger portrait to the main UI.
Posted By: Alkhan Re: Let's talk new UI. - 15/02/22 10:56 PM
Mine is far more negative,

Looks nice, is horrendous once in your hands :
- Enourmous waste of space, particularly during combats, the play order and hover take up a huge amount of space on entire field of view
- Minimap, Character icon, Forced turn-based mode, flee button and party handler have the same problem
- Whatever was gained in clicks was lost five time over in mouse travel time and UI readability
- Anyone used to standard MMO UI design will click the different UI buttons, not understanding why the same panel keeps appearing
- Spell bar isn't instinctive at all, and you'll be wasting time every time you want to come back to the "Main" bar
- Submenus for spells with multiple options make you lose track of what bar your were on
- Mixing permanent actions such as jump and throw with removable ones induces confusion
- On that note, permanent actions can now be removed, which people will unintentionally do
- Passives aren't immediately visible
- New character sheet makes the model way less visible
- No more UI locks for slots

Suggestions :
Re-instate the old UI general design, keeping the following things :
- The Improvements to tooltips, turn order and party management (the latest in their old locations and their old compact form)
- The improvements to the character sheets, in the character sheet menu
Or :
- Introduce a "UI mode" switch in the settings allowing us to switch between the old UI/Suggestions above and the new one

I like function over form, and especially in a strategy game, I want to see the most field possible without the UI obstructing my sight and to have the important information and possible actions displayed in a concise and immediately understandable way
To me this is an dramatic downgrade from the previous iteration, which was clear, concise and to the point. Synthetic, in a word.
Most of the Big buttons take unnecessary space, Your own portrait is redundant with your party icon, and spellbar navigation is frustrating because you have to reach the "close" button for each spell with its own submenu
You don't know what is built-in/essential anymore and you lose quick view and access to the important interactive actions, namely your passives

Without an UI editor to change sizes, element locations and on/off display, this is a disastrous design choice.
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Let's talk new UI. - 15/02/22 11:18 PM
I did notice the Flee button is gigantic now – how much fleeing is everyone doing? I've never used it once.
Posted By: 1varangian Re: Let's talk new UI. - 15/02/22 11:41 PM
After the initial excitement.. It's still messy and not good. frown

Everything goes in the same hotbar. They didn't fix the main problem. Stuff is going to move around in there, and you have to constantly search for what you want to do. Now you need to constantly filter before searching too. I had to search for something as basic as Jump while exploring. Basic Actions like Dash, Disengage, Jump or Hide should be completely FIXED and unmovable somewhere in their own section.

I clicked on the "Items" tab, but the bar is empty even though the character has scrolls and potions. Why do I need to sort "Bonus Action" or "Action" instead of "Item" if I want to drink a potion? Completely counterintuitive. I'm looking for an item and I might not instantly remember whether something is an action or bonus action.

Why can't it have fixed buttons sorted like..

UNIVERSAL ACTIONS (sorted clearly by Action / Bonus Action)
Dash / Disengage / Hide / Help / Jump / Attack / Shove / Throw / Improvised Weapon / Temporary Action (e.g. Activate Witch Bolt)

ABILITIES
Weapon Abilities and Class Abilities, sorted clearly by Action / Bonus Action.

Then a separate button for SPELLS that hides/expands all your memorized spells into view, with separate upcast buttons. Solasta does the 5e spellcasting UI extremely well, take note please.

Then a separate button for ITEMS that expands/hides a grid view with scrolls, potions etc.

Separate button for QUIVER that does the same for ammunition for all the ranged characters out there.

If you want to have less clicks and everything on the screen at once, leave all tabs open. If you like a cleaner minimalistic look, there can be an auto-close option in settings that hides the menu after you use an item or cast a spell.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by 1varangian
After the initial excitement.. It's still messy and not good. frown

Everything goes in the same hotbar. They didn't fix the main problem. Stuff is going to move around in there, and you have to constantly search for what you want to do. Now you need to constantly filter before searching too. I had to search for something as basic as Jump while exploring. Basic Actions like Dash, Disengage, Jump or Hide should be completely FIXED and unmovable somewhere in their own section.

I clicked on the "Items" tab, but the bar is empty even though the character has scrolls and potions. Why do I need to sort "Bonus Action" or "Action" instead of "Item" if I want to drink a potion? Completely counterintuitive. I'm looking for an item and I might not instantly remember whether something is an action or bonus action.
+1 all agree.

You need to go to options and toggle stuff to be automatically added to hotbar, otherwise it will remain empty.

In spite of the new "deck" system, the hotbar works more or less the same, and has same frustrations. I organised so cantrips at the left side of Shadowhearts spell "deck", and it all got jumbled as soon as I leveled up.

Rather then acting like subfolders, like in PoEs, those are more like item spell filters. I like it more then what we had before, but like with chain system, it feels like we got options to deal with a bad system, rather then bad system being replaced by something better.

There is a lot of complicated UI, that's for sure. I didn't spend more then couple seconds managing UI so far, so that's a big improvement for me.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by Alkhan
CUT
At what resolution are you playing, exactly? I'd be all for trimming down a lot of wasted space, but it doesn't look anywhere near as gigantic as you are describing it to me.

Also, while this one is still far from flawless I strongly disagree about your claim that the previous iteration was better in ANY way.
Posted By: IrenicusBG3 Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 01:23 AM
Still dislike the MMO art direction of the UI and I personally prefer the more minimalist, organized subfolder approach.
Posted By: WebSpyder Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 01:52 AM
And throwing, while nice, is a total UI mess. When you say you're going to throw something it immediately gives you access to literally everything in your inventory. While I suppose this should be possible (via toggle) the default should just be thrown weapons with maybe toggles for thrown consumables and everything else.
Posted By: Kolvaer Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 02:17 AM
It's kind of a disaster.
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 03:02 AM
Jesus and holy smokes. You'd think game developers would have licked HUD clutter by 2022, but...no.
Posted By: gaymer Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 04:06 AM
Looks awful and cheap.
Posted By: Saito Hikari Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 07:51 AM
It looked neater at first, but after playing around with it a bit... I take back what I said about it possibly being more functional than Solasta UI just by looking at it from the panel from hell. In actual practicality, it needs a bit more work. Still better than before, at least.

Barbarian doesn't interest me much, I just booted up the patch to look at the improved UI. Gonna go back to hibernating until the reaction patch or a new companion is out. (Or Bard, but I assume reactions are a pre-requisite.)
Posted By: Zarna Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 08:46 AM
The good:

Character sheet looks much better, everything is easy to find now.

I like that some of the stuff I won't use on some characters can be removed from the bar (like shove, throw, dip and weapon attacks for spellcasters)

The bad:

Can't find a way to increase the size of the bar at all, this is going to be horrible in later levels especially for spellcasters and anyone who frequently uses items. Pretty sure we have even less space than before.

If I am going to be forced to have to click on extra buttons to open up more menus (spell slots, action, bonus action) then rearranging needs to be an option. Once my custom bar is filled up then I can see that I will be wasting more time finding what I need to click on than actually playing the game and this is stupid.
Posted By: 1varangian Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 09:36 AM
Are they only playing and testing their own game in multiplayer controlling only one character?

In a single player game where you control 4 characters it makes absolutely no sense to move or remove something as basic as Dash or Shove. Those need to be in the exact same place for all characters always. It shouldn't even be possible to remove something like Dash by accident.

The new UI is better for spells because of the sorting but that's about it. They are clinging to a really bad foundation of design here. I would like to hear a dev talk on UI design and why they hate a Solasta or Pillars of Eternity type UI so much?
Posted By: WebSpyder Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 09:43 AM
I'm also experiencing problems with weapon specific abilities being removed and re-added every time I load, changing their location in the UI from where I place them.
Posted By: Hoppa Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 10:11 AM
This new UI looks to me as if someone preferred design over functionality. Way to bulky to my liking.

I only looked at it for a few minutes (because of various crashes I had after updating) but I really liked the old one more.
Would love to see some scaling and show / hide options.

One thing that I noticed is the fact that the huge character-portrait is of no use at all.
You can double click to centre the camera, but this centring is different from the key bind method. Once you use the key to centre, the double click will not do anything anymore.

I did some measurements and can only conclude that it's a disaster:
I play at a 16:9 screen, 3840x2160 and when in combat with a full party, 4 opponents about 25% of the available screen gets taken by the UI
At that moment you have 3 pictures of your active char, and 2 pictures of your other party members on screen. What the use off all this screen-clutter?
Mini-map isn't exactly mini anymore.
End turn is way to big, as is flee, as is character, as is inventory.

Scaling happens only when you change the height of your window, it does not react to changing width. Try and put your playable window in a 4:3 res. and you will no longer be able to see anything from the game but the UI

I could go on for a while, but in the end I think it's a terrible implementation of UI, it's more like back to the seventies to me. Please make it scalable, this size is hardly playable.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 01:14 PM
Well so far i have only few dozen minues of experience, but allready im full of impressions.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

First the Good:
- I must admit that i enjoy sorting much more than i expected, not that i use it ... especialy not the way Swen showed us, i still preffer one huge hotbar where i can find everything im using often. But i like that i can have "weapon" section ... "spells" section ... and "items" section that can be draged or hided any way i need. That much is awesome!
- I really like how instead of poping up windows our hotbar get replaced with temporary one ... this is really nice and ellegant solution in my eyes!
- I believe there is either bug or oversight, bcs we are able to put anything to any bar ... like spells into "items" bar, or vice versa ... FOR THE LOVE OF ANYTHING THAT IS HOLY PLEASE DONT, I REPEAT DONT REPAIR THIS!!!
- All spells of level 1 finaly get level I. indication on icon ... that is something i was hoping for whole year. :3
- New tooltips looks really good! The DnD style damage seem a little faded next to typical RPG X-Y value tho. frown

Now the Bad:
- Crowned king of everything bad in UI, lack of hotbar lock ... this is one of worse things you could do.
- Hotbar still have that really, REALLY ugly habbit of sorting itself. :-/
- Sadly the same sorting habbit have even party UI ... please dont change the order of my party members, when i use ungroup button ... there is reason i keep sorting them the way i do. :-/
- Hotbar is still too small. :-/ Im sory, i know we get a LOT more buttons than in previous patches, but almost half of them is now filled with buttons that were previously part of fix UI (shove, dip, jump, hide, etc) and when you add your weapons skills ... sudently almost 3/4 of your bar is full and you didnt even get to single spell. :-/
Playing as Cleric is pure nightmare ... i want my hotbar to work with me, not against me there is plenty of other enemies to fight with.
- Spells with more versions (yes that basicaly means just Chromatic Orb, i dint seen Hex yet) seems to still lack any second-sorting ... yes we get level 1 on left half and level 2 on right half ... but elemental versions are still chaoticly poured out more than sorted. frown
- I didnt find any way to close temporary bar (before known as popup) other than manualy clicking on the little X button ... Escape, nor right clicking is working ... quite frustrating to be honest.
- Tooltip for Magic Missiles claims that the spell deals 2-5 damage ... there certainly should be written "per missile", otherwise nobody will ever use it. laugh
- Speaking of tooltips ... the old tooltip that showed everything in regular sized text was WAAAAAAAAY better than that small print under our target health bar, wich by the way still tells us nothing ... i was just attackin with Astarion and i just had there written "player disadvantage" ... i FUCKING KNOW i have disadvantage, chances of hit allready told me that, i read the tooltip to find out WHAT gives me disadvantage, so i can think about how to get rid of it!!! :-/
- When you are eqipping your party the letter E seems more like shortcut than anything else, and the warning text telling you who have it equipped is way too small to notice. frown
- Also im not quite sure why do we need double click for equip item when we allready

And finaly the Ugly:
And while i realize this is matter of personal taste, this is the bar itself. :-/
- Dead and unused space on both right and left sides now seems even biger ...
- It took me a while before i finaly find reactions ... and i still didnt find any way to make them visible at all time ... honestly switching between lethal and non lethal attacks is pure hell. :-/
- Button for ending the turn is too far away from spells to use it comfortably. :-/
- Also its unnecesary HUGE.
- Speaking about huge things ... why is my "mini"-map taking almost 1/10 of my screen? O_o
- Writings on minimap are too big ... i dont need to see names of every portals there, i never use minimap UI for fast travel anyway. :-/
- And who the Hells come with that idea that shortcuts on hotbar will be sorted verticaly instead of standard horisontal style?!!! -_-
- Tooltip for Chromatic Orb seems to be quite unfinished ... since it lacks both X-Y damage, and any dices or other "pretty parts". laugh

Well those are my first impressions ...
I wonder where it will go next. smile
Posted By: Blackheifer Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 01:49 PM
I agree with a lot of the stuff Rag pointed out.

My two Main issues are:

1) No hotbar lock. I kept looking for it and thought I must be mistaken, since it's such an important feature, but it really was not implemented.
2) The Inventory screen is WAY too small given the huge amount of inventory we are dealing with. I really would like to have access to side by side/full screen inventory panels that display an entire inventory at once for easier sorting. You pick up so much random crap in this game it really helps to be able to work with the larger screens.

More issue will likely occur, we are doing a run down later.

I feel that given the huge mod community we have as a resource that we should be reaching out to them for design assistance here, because I am 100% certain the first mod will be UI improvements at this point.
Posted By: Stapler-san Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Well so far i have only few dozen minues of experience, but allready im full of impressions.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

First the Good:
- I must admit that i enjoy sorting much more than i expected, not that i use it ... especialy not the way Swen showed us, i still preffer one huge hotbar where i can find everything im using often. But i like that i can have "weapon" section ... "spells" section ... and "items" section that can be draged or hided any way i need. That much is awesome!
- I really like how instead of poping up windows our hotbar get replaced with temporary one ... this is really nice and ellegant solution in my eyes!
- I believe there is either bug or oversight, bcs we are able to put anything to any bar ... like spells into "items" bar, or vice versa ... FOR THE LOVE OF ANYTHING THAT IS HOLY PLEASE DONT, I REPEAT DONT REPAIR THIS!!!
- All spells of level 1 finaly get level I. indication on icon ... that is something i was hoping for whole year. :3
- New tooltips looks really good! The DnD style damage seem a little faded next to typical RPG X-Y value tho. frown

Now the Bad:
- Crowned king of everything bad in UI, lack of hotbar lock ... this is one of worse things you could do.
- Hotbar still have that really, REALLY ugly habbit of sorting itself. :-/
- Sadly the same sorting habbit have even party UI ... please dont change the order of my party members, when i use ungroup button ... there is reason i keep sorting them the way i do. :-/
- Hotbar is still too small. :-/ Im sory, i know we get a LOT more buttons than in previous patches, but almost half of them is now filled with buttons that were previously part of fix UI (shove, dip, jump, hide, etc) and when you add your weapons skills ... sudently almost 3/4 of your bar is full and you didnt even get to single spell. :-/
Playing as Cleric is pure nightmare ... i want my hotbar to work with me, not against me there is plenty of other enemies to fight with.
- Spells with more versions (yes that basicaly means just Chromatic Orb, i dint seen Hex yet) seems to still lack any second-sorting ... yes we get level 1 on left half and level 2 on right half ... but elemental versions are still chaoticly poured out more than sorted. frown
- I didnt find any way to close temporary bar (before known as popup) other than manualy clicking on the little X button ... Escape, nor right clicking is working ... quite frustrating to be honest.
- Tooltip for Magic Missiles claims that the spell deals 2-5 damage ... there certainly should be written "per missile", otherwise nobody will ever use it. laugh
- Speaking of tooltips ... the old tooltip that showed everything in regular sized text was WAAAAAAAAY better than that small print under our target health bar, wich by the way still tells us nothing ... i was just attackin with Astarion and i just had there written "player disadvantage" ... i FUCKING KNOW i have disadvantage, chances of hit allready told me that, i read the tooltip to find out WHAT gives me disadvantage, so i can think about how to get rid of it!!! :-/
- When you are eqipping your party the letter E seems more like shortcut than anything else, and the warning text telling you who have it equipped is way too small to notice. frown
- Also im not quite sure why do we need double click for equip item when we allready

And finaly the Ugly:
And while i realize this is matter of personal taste, this is the bar itself. :-/
- Dead and unused space on both right and left sides now seems even biger ...
- It took me a while before i finaly find reactions ... and i still didnt find any way to make them visible at all time ... honestly switching between lethal and non lethal attacks is pure hell. :-/
- Button for ending the turn is too far away from spells to use it comfortably. :-/
- Also its unnecesary HUGE.
- Speaking about huge things ... why is my "mini"-map taking almost 1/10 of my screen? O_o
- Writings on minimap are too big ... i dont need to see names of every portals there, i never use minimap UI for fast travel anyway. :-/
- And who the Hells come with that idea that shortcuts on hotbar will be sorted verticaly instead of standard horisontal style?!!! -_-
- Tooltip for Chromatic Orb seems to be quite unfinished ... since it lacks both X-Y damage, and any dices or other "pretty parts". laugh

Well those are my first impressions ...
I wonder where it will go next. smile

was going to make my own post about how I dont even want to play this game with the UI in its current state
like it may actually be one of the worst UIs i've played with in a long time
but this guy pretty much covered everything I have issue with

only thing id add is that separating all the inventory stuff means you can only right click > send to (party member) rather than just drag it over
and that part is extra weird since there used to be a weird sort of delay when you would try to click and drag an item that seems to have been fixed

honestly my only wish for the UI is the patch 6 one but with a 3rd row
Posted By: Niara Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 04:27 PM
Just on that second point, Blackheifer - are you aware that there's a button that will expand your inventory up, to show off more of it and cover the rest of your character sheet with it? It doesn't necessarily fix the issue, but that will let you see more at once, at least.

That aside...

As much as I spoke mildly and favourably about the new UI in the synopsis, actually playing with it for a while leaves me with a distinctly different impression.

- It takes up way too much of the screen, and there is no way to scale any of it.
- The mini map is a particularly bad example of this, but the hot bar itself is far bigger than it needs to be, compared to the screen.

- The character sheet looks nicer, certainly, but it's still very large - and now we no longer have the pop-out option to have our inventory on screen, but with most of the screen free; we've LOST that functionality.
- This means that if you are, for example, trying on a few different armours and trying to look at your character as you do it, you actively have to fight the UI; the large character window, the nesting tooltips which cannot be delayed, disabled or detached to a fixed location, and the rest of the oversized UI elements means that it can legitimately be a struggle to change your equipment and look at your character on screen as you do... and yet you want to do this, because the doll in your actual character sheet is now much smaller, so looking at your character directly is actually the better option - if only you could do it comfortably.

- As others mention, the Throw element is a mess that just spews out your entire inventory that you then need to scroll through awkwardly to find what you're after... and this is at the very beginning of the game, before I've even collected a lot of stuff.

- I often felt that trying to look at, access or do something had become an oddly multi-step process of "first I have to do this, then this, now that. Okay, now that I've changed that, I have to go back, and back again, and then..." and it felt as though there was no simply, fast and efficient way to achieve it. There was often, it seemed, only one way to do a given thing - such as clicking a specific button, and normal gaming precepts hadn't been observed in this regard.
- One example: if you have any kind of filter on your inventory (such as armours), you can try one one easily enough, but you can't, now, drag the armour you're wearing off to unequip it; not with the screen like this. You first have to either clear the filter and return to your base inventory, or you have to unequip it by the right click menu. It's clunky as balls, and counter-intuitive to boot.

- Speaking of normal gaming precepts... As well has the character panel being scale locked, taking up approximately 1/3 of the screen when open, and being broad as well as tall.... it also steals complete priority, which means that if a new window is brought up - such as an examine window (also large, and also impossible to resize), it pops up Underneath the character panel, behind it, despite being the active and more recent window, and will generally be entirely illegible until you close the character window first - in many cases, this is unavoidable, because you needed the character window open to access the item that you are inspecting, which you can only do through the right click menu on the item while it's in your inventory or on your person; it's a design which literally fights against itself in these cases.

It looks better, on the surface, but looks are only UI-Skin deep; it doesn't actually function smoothly or cleanly in practice right now.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 04:42 PM
+1 to everything smile
So I am not crazy, the minimap is much bigger then it used to be.

Futher additions from my side:

Hotbars still mess themselves up with every addition/removal of the spell/item making it difficult to use it extensively. For me it means using hotbar as little as possible to avoid fuss required to maintain it.

I believe that "sorting" options would greatly benefit from greater organisation. So if I press "spells level 1" it would be nice to have full action on the left, seperated from bonus action on the right. Similarly with weapon actions, it would be nice to have clear visual distinction in what resources they use, if any. It applies to pretty much everything: spells like chromatic orb, like Rag mentioned. Oh, I do like that spells that can be recasted, now pop up in a seperate tab on the right, instead of polluting even further main hotbar.

I would like for weapon actions to display when using the weapon regardless if they are on the hotbar or not. Personally, I would happily remove all of those out of the hotbar, and access my selection of weapon attacks through weapon (my brain just works better that way). I need them on hotbar, however, or they will not properly display. That's how spells work - at the moment I have cantrips on my spell hotbar only, and in spite of that all 1st level spells available are displayed when I click on "level 1 resource" icon.

I would prefer if "items" tab wouldn't lead to a fuller view of already visible hotbar, but to display of all consumables in characters inventory (a bit like spells do) - and with them being sorted by type. What I want in my "main view", generally isn't what I am looking for when I am diving into "items" tab. Having to auto-add items to have them accesible through "items" tab, just makes having your "main" view useful that much fussier.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 05:21 PM
OK. I actually do like it better. However, it's as it was said in the PFH. You have to get used to it. There is a learning curve. Also, if you don't use hotkeys, it is a bit more tedious without certain movement mechanic buttons always right there in your face.

But, I do like the click on Actions to pull up just the Actions hotbar. Click on Actions button again and close the Actions hotbar so you can see your standard actions like Jump, Crouch, etc. Same with Bonus, spells, etc. Click to open and click again to close. I do think it's more user friendly. That said it is too easy to accidentally drag and drop an icon out of the hotbar. We do need a lock feature. Some buttons are too big, like Flee and End Turn, and the map is huge. A resize feature would be good.

I LOVE Group button and Group Stealth, though. I also think that it looks cleaner and more professional.

Could it be better? Yes. Is it better than the previous? Yes.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I turned off all the Auto-Load features. That's big. If you don't it does constantly jumble your hotbars.

But I do like the new character sheet and the ability to drag and drop from character sheet to hotbar to world to hotbar to character sheet universally.

Anyway, that's my two cents about it.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I really would like to have access to side by side/full screen inventory panels that display an entire inventory at once for easier sorting.
Its called party pannels now ...
Its on the top of that new party ui on left side of your screen ...

Then, if you want ONLY to work with inventories, you simply expand them over your character by that tiny and easily to oversight arrow in top left corner of your screen. wink

If i missunderstand your problem then sory. laugh
But i thought this could be helpfull. smile

Personaly i had to completely change my binds ...
Since Equipment no longer do anything (???) i use it now for character panel, all is there so quite fine.
And i use Party Pannels instead of Inventory, since that shows whole party. smile
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Oh, I do like that spells that can be recasted, now pop up in a seperate tab on the right, instead of polluting even further main hotbar.
I would call it first move in the right direction ... now they at least no longer take us space on our bar ...
Still their original cast do tho and we rarely need those again. :-/
And they "kinda" takes the place that could have ben used for our bar.

I still believe to let that icon either change from original cast to re-cast version ... or add recast to pop-up bar would be thousand times better. frown
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 06:06 PM
I still believe to let that icon either change from original cast to re-cast version ... or add recast to pop-up bar would be thousand times better. frown
Potentially, having recast pop-up appear in the say it won't take hotbar space could be desirable (honestly I doubt it will become a problem, but we will see as we continue using it).

I would be against casting changing into re-casting, because:
1) there might be situations where we do want to cast the spell on new target (for example switching target of a witchbolt)
2) If we cast a spell, we will probably want to recast it as well. Not an issue with spells one uses often that will be on the hotbar already, but as we gain levels, I suspect more and move players will be using spell level tabs to access spells they don't use in every encounter. As it is, they will be able to easily recast spells after an initiate cast, without having to dig for the spell again.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Oh, and I almost forgot, I turned off all the Auto-Load features. That's big. If you don't it does constantly jumble your hotbars.
Yes, I turned them all off, outside items - which at the moment are a big mess for my PC.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 07:47 PM
(for example switching target of a witchbolt)
Yeah ...
I kinda keep forgeting about this one. laugh

I had in mind more like things like Speak with Dead, Hex, Hunter's Mark ... you know, those spells where the only difference is that it no longer costs spell slot to cast them again. laugh

Well ... adding it to pop-up "bar" would be sufficient in my opinion.
Posted By: sheffie01 Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 11:11 PM
This is a lot of work and you can tell they had fun with some of the animations and stuff, so again, thank you Larian for working on this.
Love the new button shortcuts for ungrouping/grouping. There's a learning curve, but a major improvement over what it was before.

Agree with everything that was said in this thread concerning the rest. My biggest complaint is:
1) No more ability to add buttons or to extend the action bar
2) No UI Scaling. The UI takes up too much screen real estate right now. Would be great to have a slider in the options menu that allows us to scale it to our desired size. The game is beautiful, I want to enjoy the scenery, unimpeded by the UI.
3) When opening the inventory, can it show the extended version by default ? i.e. when clicking "I", I want the inventory, not the character sheet. It's OK to have them grouped, and very convenient, but the extra click to extend when I specify that I want to pull up the inventory is a bit annoying. I do like that the sorting was fixed though. I would still like to see a quicksort button that sorts everything in one click rather than 2. Exactly the same as DOSII.

Some nitpicking items that have already been pointed out:
- The flee, turn based buttons are huge. I get there needs to be symmetry, but why not replace those with the actions that most new players will be using anyway -> Basic melee and ranged attack? Those buttons feel a little incongruous, like "WOW those are so big, probably something I'll be using all the time".
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/02/22 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by sheffie01
This is a lot of work and you can tell they had fun with some of the animations and stuff, so again, thank you Larian for working on this.
Love the new button shortcuts for ungrouping/grouping. There's a learning curve, but a major improvement over what it was before.

Agree with everything that was said in this thread concerning the rest. My biggest complaint is:
1) No more ability to add buttons or to extend the action bar
2) No UI Scaling. The UI takes up too much screen real estate right now. Would be great to have a slider in the options menu that allows us to scale it to our desired size. The game is beautiful, I want to enjoy the scenery, unimpeded by the UI.
3) When opening the inventory, can it show the extended version by default ? i.e. when clicking "I", I want the inventory, not the character sheet. It's OK to have them grouped, and very convenient, but the extra click to extend when I specify that I want to pull up the inventory is a bit annoying. I do like that the sorting was fixed though. I would still like to see a quicksort button that sorts everything in one click rather than 2. Exactly the same as DOSII.

Some nitpicking items that have already been pointed out:
- The flee, turn based buttons are huge. I get there needs to be symmetry, but why not replace those with the actions that most new players will be using anyway -> Basic melee and ranged attack? Those buttons feel a little incongruous, like "WOW those are so big, probably something I'll be using all the time".

It also occurred to me that the black bar along the top that accommodates actions, spell slots etc is a fixed size no matter what character you're using. Should it not resize to fit the number of buttons needed, so you can see more of the game? Having a long black bar up there at all times seems a waste of space. I can imagine when we get into multi-classing it will need to be more flexible anyway.
Posted By: colinl8 Re: Let's talk new UI. - 17/02/22 02:18 AM
it's as it was said in the PFH.

Big +1 on this. When they said that on PFH, I felt "okay, so I'm not going to like it, but I should give myself a chance to get used to it." And I'm glad I heard that and gave it a chance. It's not perfect, obviously, but I'm glad that made it clear this was a "get ready for a big change" moment.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Let's talk new UI. - 17/02/22 06:44 AM
Another issue with the new hotbar. I got my custom bar into something manageable but the bloody thing won't even stay up. As soon as I switch characters it goes back to the one with the red lines on it. I would prefer to just have it default to the last bar that was up or to have the custom bar take priority, all this extra clicking stuff is unneeded.
Posted By: RutgerF Re: Let's talk new UI. - 17/02/22 10:39 AM
Has anyone found a way to filter food items in the new inventory? Nothing I tried as search criteria worked.

It does work when I enter a name of a specific item, such as "fish" or "apple". But I'd like to see all of them together, so I can move them to camp faster.

This particular bit looks like it's definitely worse than it was before.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 17/02/22 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Zarna
Another issue with the new hotbar. I got my custom bar into something manageable but the bloody thing won't even stay up.
+1 I tried to make a use of custom bar, and that very quicky made me return to fighting with "main view". According to steam patch notes:

We’re also working on ‘Custom Decks’, which allow you to fully customise your hotbar tabs - you can dip your toes into this feature through the custom deck we’ve made available. The new hotbar also allows for resource-based filtering, especially useful in combat.

Seems like the feature is still very much in development. With different options, the game must have a way of setting up, which option we want to use.
Posted By: Mythago Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 12:04 AM
It's just incomprehensible to me how bad the user interface still is. What's the point of placing icons in the hotbar when, once you glance away for a second, the icons reshuffle themselves? Why even have numbers as keybinds when every time I press a number, some different ability is triggered?

Also, not exactly an UI feature but related to randomly moving icons: stop changing my spells when my characters level up. The best would be to just have an empty new slots. Second best is if the game selected some spells into the new slots. There's absolutely no reason for this game to forcefully change my selected spells, removing the ones I've memorized and replacing them with different spells, when leveling up.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 12:42 AM
character portraits were adjusted so people can't call it a toilet chain anymore...

anyway chat box on bottom right needs npc chat seperated from combat log, on the ship was spammed to death by two people having a convo over and over. ui needs a scaling slide so it can be reduced. crap still needs tabs so you can hide elements, there is no need to have a mini map open 24-7
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Mythago
It's just incomprehensible to me how bad the user interface still is.
Agree. Hotbar is still a mess, but now I can just give up on it, rather then having to fight with it after every level up or change in spells.

i was disappointed to see that removed spells find their way back to the hotbar and mess everything up.

Originally Posted by fallenj
anyway chat box on bottom right needs npc chat seperated from combat log, on the ship was spammed to death by two people having a convo over and over. ui needs a scaling slide so it can be reduced. crap still needs tabs so you can hide elements, there is no need to have a mini map open 24-7
+1 combat log needs a lot of love I’m general. I want to be able to have minimap close and combat log open by default.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 01:07 AM
@Wormerine pretty much

just two different tabs for general and combat would be fine for me but presuming other people would want something else maybe.
Posted By: Icelyn Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 01:08 AM
character portraits were adjusted so people can't call it a toilet chain anymore...
laugh
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 12:59 PM
But functionality has not changed, so it remains strongly related to shit.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 18/02/22 03:30 PM
Okay there's a lot to say about the UI and after I played a few jours, I have an opinion about a few things.

1) The very good
1.1 The "initiative bar" - I absolutely love it. It's way smaller than before and way less intrusive (smaller portrait, no more space between them, follow the upper border,...).
1.2 The tooltips - Definitely better. Easier to read and understand. I noticed a few bugs in descriptions but whatever, the revamp is very good.
1.3 The new inventory/equipment/character sheet/spellbook menu. I like it a lot too. All the missing informations are now there and it's way easier to read and understand.

BUT : The inventory management is still a pain.
- the game lack real filters to only show certain types of items like we have in the trading window (weapons, armors, consumables, food, misc, quest,...). Auto sorting items by types, weight, value and so on can be usefull, but it's still a big sorted mess...
WoTR also allow us to pick up a lot of items but the inventory use / management is easier, especially because of these filters.

2) What is not really good
2.1 The mini maximap. I like that you remove all those icons unrelated all arround. But the minimap is unnecessarily big. I find the minimap almost useless but if I have to live with it, I'd like it to be smaller. The texts on it should scale the zoom level.
2.2 The portrait on the left. Looks pretty good when you're outside combats, but it's something else when you engage. These dotted lines are awefull tbh and it gives no additionnal informations. The portrait move a bit to the right when you're in combat, eating 1 more centimeters of the screen for no valuable reasons. The combat icon (2 little sword) could somewhere else so the portrait stay aligned on the left of the screen. In exemple, in the middle of the portraits... Or on the right, depending what you plan with the popup appearing when you move your mouse on a portrait... And here comes the very bad.

3) The very bad.
3.1 The popup on the left when you move your mouse on a portrait. This one require screenshots.

SELECT A CHARACTER AND HIGHLIGHT ANOTHER PORTRAIT
[Linked Image from zupimages.net]

SELECT A CHARACTER AND HIGHLIGHT HIS/HER PORTRAIT

- This popup repeat a few informations you have everywhere else (HP, buff/debuff) => not necessary to repeat.
- This popup also show you information you just don't have to see on a popup and that you can usually find elsewhere (race, speed, AC, "action points" available) => not necessary on a popup.
- Weight and gold is something you easily see when you click the "group panel" button => not necessary
- Everything else can be seen elsewhere and ofc, you can always select another character to see something else, like the remaining actions/bonus actions if you need to.

I'm not playing multiplayer so I'm not sure what is really usefull and what is not for these players, but for solo players this whole popup is almost useless.
In the end, if something is necessary in it, it could result in a way smaller and more elegant popup rather than this big thing that, on top of that may hide a bit the portrait of characters when they're engaged (because the portrait is a bit more on the right, you get it ?)

==> shadowheart, cleric level 3, eventually half high elf, (action left for MP ?), End.

3.2 The popup on the top when your mouse is on an engaged ennemy portrait.
This one is the same but even worse because it completely hide another part of the user interface (with the same informations, once again).

MOUSE ON AN ENNEMY PORTRAIT

Just a reminder : right click on a creature allow us to check everything about it.
Back to our popup, "buggy position" aside, do I really need to see all these informations "fast" ?
Name : YES
HP : YES
Buff/debuff : YES
Level : NO
AC : NO (%to hit is life)
Speed : NO
Race : not sure, but I'd say NO
Actions left : NO
Weight and gold : Definitely NO

Once again, most of these informations are useless.
- IMO, you should put some informations on the portrait : HP and Buff/debuff. About conditions it would be way easier/faster to move your mouse on "small conditions icons" on the portrait to read the tooltip than having to click "T" to fix the popup and read the tooltip...

Nothing else is an information you have to see fast in combat. Right click on the creature and check his creature sheet is enough.
You got it, I really dislike this popup window !

Takes too much time for now : hotbar and "red upper bar" for the next time smile
Posted By: mr_planescapist Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 12:59 AM
New UI and update looks amazing. Man imagine further improving this 6 years from now for BG4!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: mr_planescapist Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 01:10 AM
I mean wow, compared to this game made in 2009, weve come a long way!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Zellin Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 12:35 PM
Not sure where I saw those messages, but it seems not everyone noticed that different item tabs are still present in the inventory UI.
To get to them you need to just click on that search line. Don't start typing anything and you'll see that the game suggests to show things of certain types.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Zellin
Not sure where I saw those messages, but it seems not everyone noticed that different item tabs are still present in the inventory UI.
To get to them you need to just click on that search line. Don't start typing anything and you'll see that the game suggests to show things of certain types.

Not really "user friendly"...
Posted By: Zellin Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Not really "user friendly"...
I'm not saying it's user-friendly. I'm saying it's there so people will suffer a bit less.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 03:41 PM
I like it, seems like first step in right direction ...
First you need to acnlowledge type of items before you start work with them. smile

And Swen told us this UI is still just work in progress.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 03:46 PM
The elephant in the room when it comes to inventory management is that while there is a gigantic potential margin of improvement, no sorting option in itself will ever solve the issue completely, because the issue is: there's too much useless/redundant shit that can end up filling our bags...
And we could frankly do without a good portion of it.
Posted By: 1varangian Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tuco
The elephant in the room when it comes to inventory management is that while there is a gigantic potential margin of improvement, no sorting option in itself will ever solve the issue completely, because the issue is: there's too much useless/redundant shit that can end up filling our bags...
I think the abundance of trash loot is Larian's way of trying to make the game world more immersive. And sadly while they are focusing on a minor detail like having worthless plates, spoons and quills as something you can pick up, they are missing the big picture of what makes an immersive game world. Night/day, gameplay that matches the narrative and visual style, consistency of style etc.

I hope they would drastically cut the amount of trash loot and empty containers in this game.

One kind of fun use for trash loot comes to mind in the form of the Animate Objects spell that could let you weaponize some cutlery or other worthless objects. But even that spell could be made work without having those items flood containers and inventories.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 05:10 PM
I also think they might use trash loot as ingredients for crafting. Could be wrong, of course, but once they get the crafting system implemented, I suspect a lot of useless junk won't be as useless anymore.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 05:13 PM
It's a sum of things that makes inventory management so cumbersome, honestly.

- For a start the inane amount of... well, everything. 60 or more types of food, 30 plants, herbs and mushrooms (that at time overalap with food, at time don't), plates, glasses, spoons, etc.
- keys that aren't gathered in a keyring (as it's standard in many RPG games since Ultima VII) because they want that competitive co-op meme pickpocketing (which they COULD make work even with a keyring, incidentally)
- books and letters that A)weight a surprising amount, all things considered B) are not easily sorted or marked relatively to their usefulness.
- the fact that even items that have literally NO OTHER USE that being vendor trash aren't automatically labeled as such (i.e. "Mark as wares" by default without expecting the player to do it manually),
- the absurd amount of containers everywhere and the lack of a proper system to tell apart what's full, what's empty and what was already checked (well, technically we have this last one, but it doesn't "match" with the previous two features, making it a lot less useful that it should be).
- a HIGHLIGHT system (the ALT button by default) that never seem to work according to ONE CLEAR SET OF RULES, so it's always a case by-case basis if something is marked as important or not when pressing the key, so it gives you no shortcut through all the inventory busywork.
- Last but not least, the fact that, of course, the inventory itself is not particularly comfortable to browse, sort and filter (even the existing filter options don't work "dynamically" and need to be constantly refreshed).
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 06:01 PM
I also think they might use trash loot as ingredients for crafting. Could be wrong, of course, but once they get the crafting system implemented, I suspect a lot of useless junk won't be as useless anymore.
Just for the record this just aggravates the problem, since it increases the number of items players can't feel sure about and are factually encouraged to hold to.

Which makes even more important for the game to mark CLEARLY and automatically what types of items are "vendor trash" (or "wares", as they call them here) and have no other use than weight you down/bein sold.

Also, at some point as a designer you have to start questioning your own work and decide how many types of non-stacking unique foods, plants or what else do you really need before starting to self-sabotage the pace of your own game.

One example I made very often in the past is what a better game The Witcher 3 could have been with few significant changes to its itemization (and without arbitrary levels just to inflate numbers over time, but that's OT now).
Imagine if instead of having hundreds of plants at every corner one could gather everywhere the game gave you only the genuinely rare and useful ones every now and then that would unlock significant alchemical upgrades.
Imagine if rather than having your "witcher sense" lighting up the whole fucking scenario as a christmas tree because there were alchemicals and gems in any farmer's drawer, we had loot only when it mattered something.
Etc, etc.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 06:41 PM

Don't pick the crap up, no one is forcing you to, get over it.
Posted By: 1varangian Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 06:44 PM

When you have to filter through the junk and can't use the Take All button the damage is already done.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 06:51 PM
Filtering what crap is worth picking up or not and what you should keep or sell is ALSO part of the inventory busywork.
If you have a system that is constantly breaking the pace because it puts you constantly in front of this type of inventory management you have a design problem to address.

And I don't really need your advice about how to play this genre, for the record, so you can spare me the condescending tone.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by 1varangian

When you have to filter through the junk and can't use the Take All button the damage is already done.

If you want specific items you pick up specific items.

Filtering what crap is worth picking up or not and what you should keep or sell is ALSO part of the inventory busywork.
If you have a system that is constantly breaking the pace because it puts you constantly in front of this type of inventory management you have a design problem to address.

And I don't really need your advice about how to play this genre, for the record, so you can spare me the condescending tone.

Obviously you do since this is just a "you" problem, you pick up stuff and get on the forums and start crying you picked it up. Sounds AMAZING
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 07:07 PM
Obviously you do since this is just a "you" problem, you pick up stuff and get on the forums and start crying you picked it up. Sounds AMAZING
No, I don't. If anything, the glaring issue here is your lack of understanding about BASIC design principles.

In the exact moment every time players take a step they find themselves surrounded by dozen of crates and barrels with HUNDREDS of items, it doesn't really matter if they choose to carry zero, twelve or all of them.
Being put in front of all that browsing/filtering is ALREADY a problem in itself when it comes to busywork, inventory management and pacing.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 07:20 PM
Problem is that we have ended tons of playthrough, but players are not supposed to know what is a trash item and what is not.

The game should definitely mark trash items as trash items and allow us to sell all wares automatically without the need to "mark as ware" every single items...
which is absolutely tedious and useless => 1 click to mark items individually "as ware" + 1 click to "sell all wares" OR 1 double click to sell items individually is exactly the same.

A tag "wares" for decorative and ""useless"" items would be better and we'll only have to do one click to sell them all.
=> Management of such items ONLY comes IF the player want to keep a few items (i.e to decorate his camp), but in most cases people we just don't care and automatically manage these items with 1 click when they meet a merchant.

==> inventory management improvement.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 07:35 PM
I would question an ability to pick up trash items to begin with. I get that Larian likes systemic consistency (it's a item! You have inventory! Any item goes into inventory!) but that is only appealing if there is systemic consequence to it - if there is no potential interesting use for those items, then being able to put them in inventory isn't welcome either. Nothing prevents items from being interactable, and not being put-able into inventory.

EDIT. Not a problem for myself, as those items indeed have no use, so the worst thing that can happen is me picking up a vase or spoon by accident and then having to search through the inventory to drop it - which doesn't happen often enough to be annoying. A more negative effect is that I don't look at the enviroment the same I do in, for example Arcane titles - because in BG3 while a lot of things are interactable, there isn't much you can do with it.
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 07:37 PM
It's a bit much to expect players to pull double duty as a Hoover vacuum and a filter...at every turn.
Posted By: vometia Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 07:39 PM

Oh come on, you know better than that: of course you have to collect literally everything, it's the first law of RPGs.

Er anyway, let's keep things nice, I'm sure nobody is being intentionally rude.
Posted By: Clivehusker Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 07:57 PM
Please share your thoughts on new UI.
Huge step backwards.

Inventory and character panels:
I want a screen solely dealing with inventory back as an OPTION again. There are times I'd like to use the new panels and times I'd like to use the old. Why aren't we getting options rather than whole sale sweeping changes to one or the other While the new compact character panels are nice for QUICK inventory moving and has its place, so did the old inventory page where you had the full screen inventories of everyone. There are times I want to use BOTH for different reasons. I want the old full page inventory back as an option.

The new inventory 'search' by type moves items around after use, so all the time you spend arranging your inventory how you wanted becomes ruined by using 'search' I'd rather have items stay where I put them than have their 'search'

Skillbar:
The giant turn mode button... why? (and character panel button for that matter)

Button lock is missing so clicking skills, abilities, etc can move around again.

The side slide as opposed to the previous page up down system is awful compared to the previous page up page down which is now completely gone as an option. Here is another place choice would be nice. Some players like to micro-manage more, and the new system is terrible for that. And the ability 'type search' is terrible and I can't see it improving. Some players will like that. Not myself. I prefer the Pathfinder game's skill bars. Compact, and with the option to ad sidebars with the page up down system made it fairly easy to have everything you commonly used at the ready.

Honestly this whole patch didn't impress other than some fixes. A lot of fluff like improvised weapons people never needed or asked for, while bit bye bit little changes erode away the D&D rules and aspect and just make this more a generic RPG rather than the D&D ip that people want to take part in. If they didn't want to make a 5e D&D game why bother with taking on that IP if you are just going ignore theD&D rulesets when they feel like.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 08:00 PM
No, I don't. If anything, the glaring issue here is your lack of understanding about BASIC design principles.

In the exact moment every time players take a step they find themselves surrounded by dozen of crates and barrels with HUNDREDS of items, it doesn't really matter if they choose to carry zero, twelve or all of them.
Being put in front of all that browsing/filtering is ALREADY a problem in itself when it comes to busywork, inventory management and pacing.

inventory management needs worked on, all items need to stack, this has nothing to do with using your brain when you open a crate and think, do I need everything and hit pick up all or pick up a select few. no one is forcing you to pick this stuff up...

Problem is that we have ended tons of playthrough, but players are not supposed to know what is a trash item and what is not.

The game should definitely mark trash items as trash items and allow us to sell all wares automatically without the need to "mark as ware" every single items...
which is absolutely tedious and useless => 1 click to mark items individually "as ware" + 1 click to "sell all wares" OR 1 double click to sell items individually is exactly the same.

A tag "wares" for decorative and ""useless"" items would be better and we'll only have to do one click to sell them all.
=> Management of such items ONLY comes IF the player want to keep a few items (i.e to decorate his camp), but in most cases people we just don't care and automatically manage these items with 1 click when they meet a merchant.

==> inventory management improvement.

this, truthfully would like to see a crafting system setup but pretty sure that got shut down a while back. Even if this was implemented people would still complain cause they are picking stuff up.

Originally Posted by vometia

Oh come on, you know better than that: of course you have to collect literally everything, it's the first law of RPGs.

Er anyway, let's keep things nice, I'm sure nobody is being intentionally rude.

I'll take my leave now from the thread, I made my points previously I guess and this is just me doubling down.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 08:19 PM
inventory management needs worked on, all items need to stack, this has nothing to do with using your brain when you open a crate and think, do I need everything and hit pick up all or pick up a select few. no one is forcing you to pick this stuff up...
You've been explained multiple times by multiple people that the problem is NOT if you "pick up the items" or not.
Being put in front of the choice and having to FILTER what to pick or not constantly is already an issue in itself.
Otherwise the complaint would be about carrying capacity rather than inventory management.

In the same way, it is a problem having to click on twenty vases and crates on a shelf while looking for loot, rather than just being able to browse the entire shelf at once with one click and be done with it.

Also, there isn't really much that isn't worth being picked up, because everything can be sold for money. The only time most people will be leaving something down is when their carrying capacity will be at limit the they won't be in the mood for a jump to the next vendor (It happens, I throw away shit that I could sell fairly often).

So it's not really a matter of indecision "Should I pick this or not?", the problem is ONCE AGAIN that this game throws way too much busywork at the player in that sense.
It's not the only one to do this and it's not even the worst offender about it, but it's still a less than ideal design approach that could be corrected with a few sensible adjustments.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 08:35 PM
If there are dozens of items laying around in a location, and I don't know beforehand which are important or not, AND the ping system doesn't reliably highlight all (or just important) items, then I have to spend time examining the items to see if any are important.

To get a bit more on topic to UI: then when/if I pick up items, the game should clearly mark which ones are important and which can be sold as junk. In fact, junk items should automatically be sent to wares for selling. All this will be even more relevant when/if Larian implements a crafting system (Honestly I'd rather they didn't -> all crafting should be the result of quests like the Sussur Bark quest).

For the purposes of throwing items, honestly I don't even think the Throw menu should bring up junk items to throw. Am I really ever going to want to throw a spoon instead of doing literally anything else with my action? The Throw menu should only bring up weapons with the thrown properties, grenades, and anything else that's meant to be thrown.
Posted By: Clivehusker Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 08:57 PM
Also, there isn't really much that isn't worth being picked up, because everything can be sold for money. The only time most people will be leaving something down is when their carrying capacity will be at limit

Even then I pick it all up and just send the junk to camp. But I'm new so I don't know if there is a issue with that somewhere else. When I did it, I just loaded up camp when I got back at the druid grove in front of the vender and just collected all to sell, which meant carry capacity wasn't an issue, just the extra step of going to camp and it not being very realistic basically having an invisible camp porter around.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by vometia
I do appreciate RPGs that recognise me carrying something really weird in my inventory - like IWD2 with a dead cat.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 09:29 PM
I love how Solasta clearly says, "This item can be sold for X gold.". PF does that too.

I have to agree, items need to be clearly labeled, and there needs to be a Sell Junk button. I HATE pouring through inventory and selling one item at a time a hundred times over, and it is DO much easier to simply Take All when looting.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 09:38 PM
I love how Solasta clearly says, "This item can be sold for X gold.". PF does that too.
You can see value of items even here ...
Its just that its changing based on Vendors attitude towards you, and your charisma. wink
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 10:26 PM
Its just that its changing based on Vendors attitude towards you, and your charisma. wink

No. I mean, the game lets you know that you don't need to ever keep the item. It tells you to just go ahead and sell.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 19/02/22 10:27 PM

Items in Solasta with the sentence "this item can be sold for gold" in the description are always trash items.

It's not about seeing their value or not smile
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:01 AM
The question still stands tho ...
Are there any "trash items" in BG-3?
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:04 AM

Atlantis fan? Cool.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:55 AM

A freaking ton of them.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 09:41 AM

A freaking ton of them.
So you allready know wich items will be used for crafting before that was even implemented?
Can i borrow your crystal ball sometimes, please? smile
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 10:23 AM
I don't really ubderstand why people are talking about crafting. Does they have confirmed anything ?

I don't remember except for a few weapons (like the spear).
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 11:44 AM
I don't really ubderstand why people are talking about crafting. Does they have confirmed anything ?
D:OS2 had crafting system so I think people assume BG3 will have as well. I hope it is not the case, as the last thing I need is to be encourage to pollute my inventory with junk. Limited crafting of unique weapons is enough, as it is now.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 11:50 AM
Crafting is even one of keybinds ... right between Character Sheet and End Turn ... aproximately in begining of 3/4 of keybinds. wink

Also there was an icon by the minimap in older patches ...

And i believe Swen have ben talking about some crafting too in some interviews ...
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 02:25 PM

A freaking ton of them.
So you allready know wich items will be used for crafting before that was even implemented?
Sure, here's a bunch of items that won't ever be needed for crafting as an example: spoons, forks, pots, plates, cups, paintings, basins, buckets, etc, etc.

I'm ready to bet 100 bucks on it. Feel free to send me the money after release. when I'll be proven right.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 03:03 PM
spoons, forks, pots, plates, cups, paintings, basins, buckets, etc, etc.
Have you ever played Fallout? laugh
Especialy 4 ?
Posted By: etonbears Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 03:49 PM
Crafting is even one of keybinds ... right between Character Sheet and End Turn ... aproximately in begining of 3/4 of keybinds. wink

Also there was an icon by the minimap in older patches ...

And i believe Swen have ben talking about some crafting too in some interviews ...

Plus, workbenches liberally sprinkled throughout EA, metal ingots, etc.

My recollection is that Swen mentioned crafting as a "probable" feature rather than "definite", just as he said there would "probably" be more companions.

I take those sorts of statements to mean that they intend to add the feature, but don't want to promise, in case it ends up being cut.

I'm not actually sure how much value a general crafting system would add to the game, but I always support more options for players, even if I don't use them myself.
Posted By: etonbears Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 04:02 PM

A freaking ton of them.
Sure, here's a bunch of items that won't ever be needed for crafting as an example: spoons, forks, pots, plates, cups, paintings, basins, buckets, etc, etc.

I'm ready to bet 100 bucks on it. Feel free to send me the money after release. when I'll be proven right.

Don't be too sure, it's amazing what you can make with enough spoons...

https://content.instructables.com/O...&md=cff95e4d5e40d022f97e39e3bb38a5d9
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 04:06 PM
You know, Ragnarok, we have a idiom in (some parts of) Italy: "Fare la punta agli stronzi" (literally: "shaping turds in a neat pointy form"), which is often used in jest to describe the act of putting genuine effort in a completely pointless activity or arguing irrelevant points without producing anything of any worth.

This is what your debate style feels like, to me.
You are constantly putting your best effort into wasting people's time with mousewhee-killing multiquotes that never make an actual point, beating around the bush for dozens of posts while arguing for the sake of arguing, without reaching any productive conclusion.

It really seems that as long as you can keep answering to people with your "clever" rebuttals ridden with smug emotes you are happy to keep going, even if you are never going to land anywhere or do anything else than muddying the waters, taking long-ass tangents that hardly relate to the topic at hand, etc.

Even after sharing this forum for more than a year, it would be hard to come up with a list of, say, ten things you care about and you would like to see addressed in the game, because you are constantly arguing against most of what people talk about and (according to your mood of the day) often against its opposite, too.

And by the way, yes, I played most of the Fallout games, with the exception of 4 and 76 (i already disliked FO3 more than enough).
But I can't really say I care about what kind of "funny" gotcha-conclusion you are going to draw from this, because we weren't talking about what the Fallout games do, to begin with. We were talking about trash items in past and present Larian games.
Posted By: Dragon_Master Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 04:16 PM
Ever since the new UI dropped I've been looking for my characters dialogue tags. Whether it's my class, my race, choices I made like giving my eye to the hag and so on.

Anyone know where to find the tags?
Posted By: JandK Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 04:16 PM
I think RagnarokCzD is a much needed voice of reason here.
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by JandK
I think RagnarokCzD is a much needed voice of reason here.

He's on retainer for Old Scratch, yeah?
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 06:07 PM
spoons, forks, pots, plates, cups, paintings, basins, buckets, etc, etc.
Have you ever played Fallout? laugh
Especialy 4 ?
Only the good ones 1&2&New Vegas + fallout3 for a bit.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 06:29 PM
You know, Ragnarok, we have a idiom in (some parts of) Italy: "Fare la punta agli stronzi" (literally: "shaping turds in a neat pointy form"), which is often used in jest to describe the act of putting genuine effort in a completely pointless activity or arguing irrelevant points without producing anything of any worth.
Just out of curiosity ... what idiom do you have in italy for what you are doing? smile

I mean ... you seriously put a lot of effort to convince me that my activity is pointless ...
Aswell as puting maybe even more effort to convince Icelyn that her opinions are not relevant, bcs she just dont like things you do ...

What worth are you trying to produce?
And how does that work for you? Do you feel sucesfull?

I would like to return the favour and enlighten you in some of customs of my people ...
Sadly we dont have any idoms for such behaviour in Czech to be honest, we regulary call such people toxic assholes. wink

This is what your debate style feels like, to me.
Im glad to know that ... i gues that would be the reason i asked ... oh wait. :-/

Even after sharing this forum for more than a year, it would be hard to come up with a list of, say, ten things you care about and you would like to see addressed in the game
This sounds like a challenge. laugh
I shall try ... just for the fun:
(I mean i dont expect you to read it anyway ... so what other reason is there? laugh )

1) Biger (prefferably adjustable) Hotbar ... things are a lot better then they were in previous patches, but as hotbar size has ben incerased, so incerased the number of icons we have on it ... so in the end, i still want it biger.
2) Locking Hotbar ... i mean this problem is relatively new, since it was not an issue in pre-patch 7 times ... but it still counts.
3) UI scale ... i really want to adjust size of things in UI, not as a whole, but separately ... im for example compeltely fine with scale of Hotbar, but i would like to have smaller minimap and group ui. smile
4) Companion reactions ... i certainly do care about the fact that there are plot holes and loops, when you dont talk to your companions in right order, or dont Long Rest enough.
5) I really want to have at least 1 Origin character per class ... prefferable would be 2, since Good and Evil party ... but at least 1 is minimum in my eyes.
6) I really want to see non-origin companions ...
7) Small camps ... i would like to see places that are presented in game to be used as camps ... i believe you have expressed your support for such idea aswell ... the only difference between us is that i dont see any reason why our party should not "coveniently teleport" to the last one visited. smile
8) Barells ... we both know this is something i REALLY want to stay present as it is ...
9) Slings and Darts ... its relatively new topic, but i must admit it catched my interest, and i really want to know if they are planned or not ... also i would really like to know how (and if) Larian is planning to ballance classes that dont have any other ranged weapon proficiency ... for example Druid (not sure if they arent only one tho laugh ). smile
10) I certainly REALLY care about Difficiulty implementation ... i genuinely hope that they will not come with something so vague and boring as "easy/normal/hard" but that we will be able to adjust things like amount of food required for long rest, bonuses from proficiency, boosting or nerfing our rolls, incerasing and decerasing power of our enemies ... all separately, to get the experience we really want.
11) I really care about missing dialogue options, and i really, really, REALLY hope they get adressed and prefferably implemented, since in many situations i feel like Larian is drawing us to the corner where none of presented option is fitting my characters.
12) I really want them to adress pathfinding ... especialy around blighted willage, where my companions for some unknown reason still find jumping off the roof (and loose half health in the process) to be better option than using the ladder that is right next to them. laugh
13) Then i really want them to allow us toggle between both Larianed spells, and original DnD spells ... Chromatic orb is perfect example of such.
14) I really want them to adress matter of starting gear, wich i support since the idea showed up around here. smile
15) And finaly ... to round it with something nice, i would he quite happy if someone from Larian would even anonymously if they dont want to talk to us ... mark topics around here as "idea accepted" (meaning they are working on implementation), "idea concidered" (meaning they use it as inspiration for something that would better fit their vision), and "idea denyed" (well ... this one should be obvious)

I gues that wasnt so hard after all. O_o

with the exception of 4 ...
And this is the reason you didnt get it. smile
Just as i said abowe, "especialy 4". wink

You know, in Fallout 4 nothing is really "junk" since everything can be disassembled and used as crafting material. smile
Yes, spoons and forks included. laugh
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 06:33 PM
Yeah, you are still missing the part where we aren't playing Fallout 4 and we weren't talking about it.

You know, in Prey you can use certain machines or special grenades to dismantle any single object in a game to its basic components.
But guess what? This isn't Prey either.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 06:37 PM
True ...
And in Solasta you can see at first sight that item is only ment to be sold.

Oh wait, this isnt Solasta ... so we shall never do that. laugh
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 07:24 PM
True ...
And in Solasta you can see at first sight that item is only ment to be sold.

Oh wait, this isnt Solasta ... so we shall never do that. laugh
Funny enough, Solasta also had crafting - a system that was about as unnecessary as it will be in BG3, if it will make it there.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 07:46 PM
Funny enough, Solasta also had crafting - a system that was about as unnecessary as it will be in BG3, if it will make it there.
Depends on what will we craft ...

I can imagine i would use quite often option to craft scrolls of my spare spellslots, when my Cleric will allready be exhausted beyond any usefullness. laugh
(At least in my playthroughs usualy Shadowheart is first who have all resources gone and im rarely using them to attack, im focusing with her on support others.)

Also i hope we get some option to craft our own (read as stronger, or with alternative effects ... like small chance for stun, or cause disadvantage, etc.) posions ...
I mean 1d4 is fine ... but will be quite weak in futher Acts. :-/

I can also imagine option to brew our own potions ...
Not just for healing, but also resistances and stuff.

Someone just recently mentioned some option to create traps around here ...

And of course IF there will be ammunition included in final version, we should be able to create arrows.

I mean ...
I would dare to say that there is potential.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:09 PM
For the record, I don't even like crafting systems, more often than not, and I don't want to hang my expectations on one.
The "perfect crafting" for an RPG as far as I'm concerned is the very basic type you got in BG2: entirely "quest-driven" and based on finding a small handful of rare parts/ingredients.

Which just goes to add to the pile of reasons for which any attempt to argue "We really need that shitty, messy inventory constantly on the brink of exploding for the sake of crafting" is going to fall flat on its face for me.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:23 PM
The "perfect crafting" for an RPG as far as I'm concerned is the very basic type you got in BG2: entirely "quest-driven" and based on finding a small handful of rare parts/ingredients.

I totally agree with you.
That's why I really llike crafting in BG3 as it is right now. Just a few weapons/armors. You mostly just combine 2 or 3 parts on a workbench but there's also a few interresting variation (susserer, adamantine forge).

That said, I really don't like the crafted items that mostly sucks (like most items in the game, thanks patch 7 for having added even more of them...)

I'd HATE to be able to craft tons of scrolls and potions and poisons and arrows... It would mean that I'll keep ALL component for the sake of it, but never use them because crafting is just some kind of useless mini game.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:34 PM
+1 to quest-driven crafting only. The Sussur Bark quest is good. DOS2 crafting was overwhelming and overburdened the inventory with crafting materials.

If Larian decides to add the ability to craft scrolls/potions/poison/arrows, I hope that they implement streamlined crafting mechanics and resources. E.g., to craft a scroll you need a scroll crafting kit, proficiency in Arcana/Divine, the ability to cast that spell, and a gp cost. You make an arcana check and success = crafted, failure = lost gold. Arcana proficiency of like 7+ would make crafting the scroll cheaper than buying them on average, but not so cheap that you could sell them for a profit.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 08:56 PM
I mean ...
I would dare to say that there is potential.
All that you have written is most likely correct but as I have stated before - unnecessarily complicated and superfluous. There is already system created to gain that kind of stuff: merchant + gold = item

Crafting gives the same result, while polluting maps and inventory with junk, making it harder to find stuff that you actually want to carry (like items that you bought). The only advantage of crafting items over buying at the shop would be not having to go to merchants - which is of theoretical concern in Solasta, where there is actual world map, but not in BG3 where teleport to&from merchant would likely take less time then fighting with whatever awful UI crafting will have.
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 09:12 PM
Crafting potions, scrolls and ammunition would be great. They're about the only things worth crafting in tabletop anyway, unless you have a huge amount of downtime. Would also make Arcana more useful, than the handful of times you get to use it so far. In 5E you use proficiency with Alchemist Kit for potions, but you could easily replace that with Nature – again a skill that's rarely useful in BG3.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 20/02/22 09:20 PM
merchant + gold = item
I believe its minus gold. laugh

But only presuming the Merchant have what you want ... :P
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 04/03/22 07:58 PM
As many of you allready know, im a huge fan of hotbars ...
Funny enough, huge fan of HUGE hotbars especialy. laugh

So ... this is kinda what i would like to see in the future:
(Pardon my poor skills in MS paint. laugh )
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That ...
And possibility to drag out partial bar for passives, to make them another section visible (and mainly accessible) at all time.
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Let's talk new UI. - 04/03/22 09:08 PM

That ...
And possibility to drag out partial bar for passives, to make them another section visible (and mainly accessible) at all time.

Yes!! I would make two small tweaks – get rid of the smaller circles on far left and right (they are unnecessary). And make the smaller bar with your actions and spell slots shrink/grow to fit the icons in it, so it’s not taking up extra space for no reason as it does currently.
Posted By: Zellin Re: Let's talk new UI. - 04/03/22 09:15 PM

That ...
I'm ok with it if this would be an option. I would repeat the thought I expressed in my UX/UI-thread: I don't want to see the interface, I want to see the game. And I'm quite happy that Larian seemed to listen to me (or eventually get those same thoughts I had) with the current iteration of UI in regards to paddings from the viewport border so now it sticks to borders. But I would be a little less happy if they would make me deal with a huge hotbar that covers that much of the viewport.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 04/03/22 09:28 PM

That ...
I'm ok with it if this would be an option. I would repeat the thought I expressed in my UX/UI-thread: I don't want to see the interface, I want to see the game. And I'm quite happy that Larian seemed to listen to me (or eventually get those same thoughts I had) with the current iteration of UI in regards to paddings from the viewport border so now it sticks to borders. But I would be a little less happy if they would make me deal with a huge hotbar that covers that much of the viewport.

+1

The UI is a tool for us to interract/understand with the game and hotbar is an awefull one.
I want to see the game more than the tools. Less UI is always better.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 12:39 AM
That is just matter of taste ...
Personaly i dislike those empty unuseable space ...

But yes, in ideal world you should have option to either stretch, or shrink the bar however you like.
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 12:57 AM
Speaking of new UI... maybe this was designed on Valentine's Day, but really... this is an interesting design direction for Temporary HP
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 01:00 AM
I know this may make a lot of people upset, but I actually kind of like the new UI. It took me a little bit to get used to it, but now that I am I certainly don't find myself playing around with it and managing it as much as I used to even with my level three wizard. I'm usually able to find things pretty easily.

And I do really think that the inventory is way better. So far there's nothing I haven't been able to find easily, and I like the ability to easily drag and drop things from one character to another into an equip spot. I like that I can type in Camp and all camping supplies pull up for all characters. The sort actually works the way I expected to. And I like that the inventory for a single character is up on the game screen so when I pick up books and notes I can read one right after the other right from my inventory without it constantly closing my inventory after every book I read.

I even let it auto fill, which is something I wasn't going to do because I hated it on the old hot bar. But it seems to be working pretty well on the new one.

Could it be better? Maybe. But I think it's definitely an improvement.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 09:15 AM

But yes, in ideal world you should have option to either stretch, or shrink the bar however you like.

You should probably try mmorpg grin

[Linked Image from gamingsf.files.wordpress.com]
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 09:48 AM
Nice one ...
But not the worse i have ever seen ...

This is how my game looked like when i was 16:
(Look at your own risk)

Old times. laugh
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 10:24 AM
I would say of one looks a game and concludes that places not covered by UI are unusable spaces then it's quite a failure of the game! One would hope that the UI would be covering the game space, not be it. smile

I
I even let it auto fill, which is something I wasn't going to do because I hated it on the old hot bar.
I do to, but that's mostly because I don't use much hotbar.

Items being separate from skills already helps a lot. I think that if they improve organisations to automatically generated decks, and make hotbar act like hotbar, and remember what was and wasn't put on it, then it will be alright, even of rather overengineered.

I think we can now move on and focus on complaining about minimap and combat log :hihi:
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 10:34 AM
I would say of one looks a game and concludes that places not covered by UI are unusable spaces then it's quite a failure of the game! One would hope that the UI would be covering the game space, not be it. smile
Dunno ... i gues it depends on extend of definition. :-/

Il try to rephrase ...
I like to have separate interface screen, and separate part of screen where scene is happening ... i have no uses for gaps of scenery in between of UI (with exception of that big one in the middle, obviously) ...
Especialy if UI is not big enough so i can get there everything im using. :-/

I dunno how many of you do that, but i dont search for enemies in the corners (wich seems like the only possible use of that space) ... i simply move the camera to see them properly in the middle. :-/
Posted By: Niara Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 10:59 AM
I dunno how many of you do that, but i dont search for enemies in the corners (wich seems like the only possible use of that space) ... i simply move the camera to see them properly in the middle. :-/

And then can't tell whether the vector it's projecting for you is including moving your character or not - because you can't see them both at once, and the game might or might not be auto-moving your character as part of targeting that enemy, with no way of knowing - because if you slide the camera back to check, you're no longer mousing the intended target! Thanks Larian! Professional design!
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 05/03/22 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Niara
And then can't tell whether the vector it's projecting for you is including moving your character or not - because you can't see them both at once, and the game might or might not be auto-moving your character as part of targeting that enemy, with no way of knowing - because if you slide the camera back to check, you're no longer mousing the intended target! Thanks Larian! Professional design!
Well ... personaly i solve this by rotating the camera and adjusting the angle so i see both my character, and the enemy. laugh
So far i didnt find any place where that would be impossible (except for spiders cave, when you are down and spider several levels abowe you ... that place was a horror in previous patches ... not sure how it works now since it is quite long when this situation happened to me last time)

But yes, this problem should certainly be Adressed ...
I believe i have seen some suggestion ... it was some kind of warning sign, either with alterning collor of your cursor ... or adding message "movement required" or something simmilar, to your cursor when you are aiming the spell.
I liked it both.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Let's talk new UI. - 06/03/22 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Niara
Well ... personaly i solve this by rotating the camera and adjusting the angle so i see both my character, and the enemy. laugh
So far i didnt find any place where that would be impossible (except for spiders cave, when you are down and spider several levels abowe you ... that place was a horror in previous patches ... not sure how it works now since it is quite long when this situation happened to me last time)

The camera is an issue for me in many places. As someone who pretty much only plays ranged characters and prefers tactical placement of AoE spells, it is a nightmare to do almost anything. Even in the ruins, where there aren't many levels it is an issue because if I have characters around the corner up by the button, I cannot see some of the enemies without moving my camera around, but due to the lack of Z axis I then cannot see my attacking character like I should be able to. Sure, I can walk down the stairs and be exposed from all sides like an idiot just so the camera can be used to see everything, but that is not fun for me at all. Not being able to see if your character needs to move to attack someone or if the attack is blocked by something is ridiculous.

As for the new hotbars, I have uninstalled the game (needed the space) until they allow us to arrange everything on all bars how we want it and hopefully bring back the option to make the bars bigger. I could tolerate it slightly on a non caster because there aren't that many things to click on, but with all the rest of the micromanaging (toilet chain especially) that has to be done, having to constantly search for stuff on the bar is too much. I want to play the game, not waste time memorizing some illogical layout of buttons.
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Let's talk new UI. - 06/03/22 09:50 AM
There’s still room for improvement but I’ve found the hotbar much better than before. If you feel the size is too restrictive, I’ve found clicking on the Action, Bonus Action and spell slot icons is a quick and easy way to make sure you can see all your available options.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 06/03/22 10:04 AM
That was litteraly showed in Panel From Hell. laugh

And yes those filters are there and personaly im aware of them, but sadly they dont solve my problem. :-/
I do feel the size of hotbar is too restrictive ... but if i would want to use those filters i could just the same keep switching between general, class, items and custom ... and that is litteraly and exactly what i DONT want to do ... that is why i keep asking since first UI change to give us back our big hotbar, where was enough space for everything (i mean come on, even spell levels was separated on first builds and i still easily managed to sort them all in my bar and still had enough space for items and other stuff.) ...

And while we actualy get biger hotbar in last patch, we also get so many new icons so effectively half space of our hotbar is allready taken so in the end we have even less space than we had before. :-/
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/03/22 05:24 PM
Soooo.... As I find writing about UI awkard andwas misuderstood on couple occasions, I thought it will be simpler to record video with all the combined feedback that I have. It ended up being far longer then I expected so is hardly practical feedback that I wanted it to be, but hey. I spent time doing it, might as well share. Also a colleague of mine is right: my pronunciation of "work" sounds very much like "walk".

EDIt. Uuuuu, it is interesting to see what automatic subtitle generation can and cannot translate properly.

EDIT2. Ups, trimmed the video a bit too much. Noob mistake. Nothing of substance was lost.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/03/22 06:49 PM
Great video ... so far i agree with everything said!

I didnt even know you can click on your weapon to get all actions you can do with it. laugh
Nice one!

---

One (not so short as i intended) coment for spells tho ...

I believe the problem with Level 1 Witch Bolt you showed there is that Larian didnt listen my suggestion (yep smug as hell i know laugh ) and didnt give us separate spell icons for upcasting ...
Right now game understands only two type of spell icons:
- basic one (wich leads to spell-level selection and its allways lowest possible ... meaning once we will get level 3 spellslots, all level 2 spells starts to behave just as level 1 spells do right now.
- and upcasted (curently level 2) wich works exactly as spell icons worked back then, when this suggestion was born ... they simply let you cast the spell imediatly after click with upcasted spell-level-slot. :-/

What i suggested back when popup menu was firstly introduced to us, was that Larian should keep that function so we can place Any level spells on our hotbar (my example was Mage Armor usualy, since there is really no reason to waste level 2 spellslot for that) ...
And to achieve that we would need separate category in our spellbook wich would be icons leading to pop-up menu.

I still believe this system would be the most pure way to achieve maximum versatility for every player, to set their bar just they way they want.
You click on level 1 > level 1 spells ONLY will show ...
You click on level 2 > level 2 spells ONLY will show ...
You give on your bar level 1 spell > you cast the spell as level 1 ONLY using THIS icon ...
You give on your bar level 2 spell > you cast the spell as level 2 ONLY using THIS icon ...
You give on your bar icon from that separate category i was just talking about > you shall pick your spell level pop-up menu (or bar in curent implementation) will show up and you pick the level you wish to use right now.

To make spellbook a little more clear, this "new" separate category could easily contain only prepared spells, we cant put on our hotbar unprepared spell anyway, so no harm done. smile

Thoughts?

---

I like the idea with mouseover ...
But i would probably make it just for preview ...

You search for something > you mouseover > you dont see it > you mouseover next filter > preview of your sub-menu is imediatly replaced > you see what you were searching for > you click (yup this part is probably necesary) to confrim that you want to work with this menu > you continue as usualy.

---

Just two more notes to hotbar ... wich are acutaly just repeating two wishes i expressed earlier:
(maybe even in this topic)

- Ability to adjust hotbar size is essential in my opinion ... there are people who wants hotbar over whole sceen (myself) there are people who wants hotbar to be nonexistent (dunno ... GM? Zellin? Really not sure)
So i believe we should be able to add (or reduce) amount of "places"(?)/"buttons"(?)/really dont know wich word to use, hope its undertandable ... however we want.

- When we click on spell icon without any filter aplied, and upcasting "pop-up" or "drop-down" menu shows ... i want besides upcasting levels ... also see other sources of the same spell aviable (scrolls, items, etc.) within that single "pop-up" or "drop-down" menu ...
Basicaly when i pick Level 1 spells ... and then click Magic Missile ... i want game to cast level 1 Magic missile.
When i pick Level 2 spells ... and then click Magic Missile ... i want game to cast level 2 Magic missile.
And when dont pick anything ... and just click on Magic Missile on my main Hotbar ... i want game to show me ALL possible sources of Magic Missile.

---

Over and over, great video ... +1000! :3
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 16/03/22 11:30 PM
Great video ... so far i agree with everything said!
---
One (not so short as i intended) coment for spells tho ...
Thanks for taking time to watch and respond!

If I understand you spell suggestion the problem you describe is that we can't assign "direct cast" spell icon of a "native spell". So when we assign level 1 spell to hotbar, it will always be the version that will require confirmation (same with other level once upcasted version of them is available).

That's not something I discussed as I use hotbar much more sparingly, but that is definitely an issue that needs to be solve. If the system from weapons was implimented for spells I think that issue would solve itself, though any solution is welcome/needed.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 17/03/22 08:18 AM
If I understand you spell suggestion the problem you describe is that we can't assign "direct cast" spell icon of a "native spell". So when we assign level 1 spell to hotbar, it will always be the version that will require confirmation (same with other level once upcasted version of them is available).
Yup ...
That is the problem.

That's not something I discussed
But in fact it goes even one step futher. smile
And that is what you were talking about ...

Since the game is curently unable to asign "direct cast" for lowest possible spell level ... when you filter your spells to show only level 1 you would presume the game offers you "direct cast" icons ... instead you get those "native" that require confrimation.

So my suggestion would solve two problems at once. smile

Game would start to understand direct cast for lowest spell levels ... so level 1 filter would work properly ...
And people like myslef would finaly get the option to cast Mage Armor level 1 with just single click instead permanently confriming its level.

I see it as win win situation.
Posted By: ilwsm Re: Let's talk new UI. - 25/08/23 10:30 AM
Please help, i'm noob
Please post OLD ui screen and new UI screen for comparison.
And, how is it possible to use old ui in current game ver?
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 25/08/23 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by ilwsm
Please help, i'm noob
Please post OLD ui screen and new UI screen for comparison.
And, how is it possible to use old ui in current game ver?
Just YouTube early EA gameplay videos.

You can’t use old UI, in 1.0, unless someone mods it in. And I am not sure why one would.
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: Let's talk new UI. - 25/08/23 04:28 PM
Just use a controller, no more annoying UI blocking most of the screen. Amazing.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Let's talk new UI. - 27/08/23 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Just use a controller, no more annoying UI blocking most of the screen. Amazing.
So I tried it. Radial menu is a big no - no for me. It's way way, worse because of some reason it is hotbar. One needs to spend time maintaining and organising this thing, and it's way more inefficient to do so in the controller UI. Why, oh, why can't it be autooranised, like in an every other game?
1) common skills
2) weapon skills
3) cantrips
4) level1-x spells

etc.

Than have one radial meny to act as hotbar to access commonly used skills quickly - or assign them to directional keys etc.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 27/08/23 06:09 AM
There is option to hide whole UI by ... F10 or F11 i think?
Not sure if you still can control the game as you do that tho. laugh
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Let's talk new UI. - 27/08/23 06:13 AM
There is option to hide whole UI by ... F10 or F11 i think?
Not sure if you still can control the game as you do that tho. laugh
© Larian Studios forums