Larian Studios
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Converting to the Absolute - 15/07/22 12:00 PM
I do have a quandary concerning priest and their gods. Wouldn’t taking the mark of the Absolute pretty much mean you are breaking your oath to your god? And shouldn’t that effect your spell casting?

Being new to 5E, I did read something to the effect that having a belief structure/dedication to a god was the catalyst for spell casting now and not necessarily granted by a god…

If possible I do plan on making an Oath breaker Paladin (if not native, modded in) that aligns with the Absolute (not necessarily worshiping, but using as a source of power kinda like a warlock).
Posted By: Xzoviac Re: Converting to the Absolute - 15/07/22 07:19 PM
Id like if we could take over and control the absolute or join and serve as out new (tenticled?) Diety
Posted By: RBarbare Re: Converting to the Absolute - 16/07/22 12:14 AM
Yes, from a context viewpoint, but there are at least two other ways to look at it:

1:
The Absolute isn't a deity, despite what its followers think. There's a bit of dialog with Dror Ragzlin while he is trying to resurrect the mindflayer that shows what the Absolute is.

A circle of mind-linked mindflayers projecting their power through people infected with the tadpole.

So you aren't betraying your god for another; it's more like joining a rather restrictive club.

2:
It doesn't actually restrict your actions, e.g., you can still kill Absolute followers and do things your god wants. So it's a meaningless oath.
Posted By: N7Greenfire Re: Converting to the Absolute - 16/07/22 03:11 AM
Eh I doubt we'll actually be able to join the absolute, its suicide.
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Re: Converting to the Absolute - 16/07/22 03:33 AM
You can take the brand / mark of the absolute and what makes you so sure it’s suicidal? All my character see’s are visions of conquest and four champions. She will more than make a fifth or ensure one of the four no longer meet the um qualifications smile
Posted By: N7Greenfire Re: Converting to the Absolute - 16/07/22 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
You can take the brand / mark of the absolute and what makes you so sure it’s suicidal? All my character see’s are visions of conquest and four champions. She will more than make a fifth or ensure one of the four no longer meet the um qualifications smile
Go hang out with true soul Nere for a bit and see where absolute worship gets you.
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Re: Converting to the Absolute - 16/07/22 04:28 AM
Weakness will not be tolerated 😂
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Converting to the Absolute - 16/07/22 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by RBarbare
Yes, from a context viewpoint, but there are at least two other ways to look at it:

1:
The Absolute isn't a deity, despite what its followers think. There's a bit of dialog with Dror Ragzlin while he is trying to resurrect the mindflayer that shows what the Absolute is.

A circle of mind-linked mindflayers projecting their power through people infected with the tadpole.

So you aren't betraying your god for another; it's more like joining a rather restrictive club.

2:
It doesn't actually restrict your actions, e.g., you can still kill Absolute followers and do things your god wants. So it's a meaningless oath.

It doesn't matter if it isn't a deity yet. None of these deities started as deities - they became deities, notably three of them slaying a deity in order to obtain godhood. More importantly, you have forsaken your god. If you forsake your god for a being that isn't even divine then that being is not going to be able to protect you from the wrath of the previous deity and they certainly arent' going to grant you powers after you did so. The betrayal exists regardless of whether you did it for an actual deity or not.
© Larian Studios forums