Larian Studios
Posted By: magiccozmo Save games take forever to load? - 08/08/22 08:51 PM
I am wondering if it is something with my computer or systemic to BG3 atm. It takes an annoying amount of time to load back to a save game. And then once the save is actually loaded it takes forever for the world to re-render itself.

Is anyone else having this problem or had this problem. Please let me know how save loads are for you.

Thanks.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Save games take forever to load? - 08/08/22 10:00 PM
Not super fast, but it doesn’t take too long for the game to load for me. No graphical issues either. I am running it on a beefy PC from an SSD, though.
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Re: Save games take forever to load? - 08/08/22 11:59 PM
Yeah loading a save can take longer than I like (especially on later saves). I do have an SSD, but an older processor (FX). I suspect it’s a bottleneck. I am waiting for the AM5 motherboards to release b4 upgrading.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 12:24 AM
I was finding loading taking absolutely ages, like 5 or more minutes, back in patch 6. My system was recommended or better in most respects other than RAM, of which I only had 8GB. Once I bought more RAM, which I had been meaning to do anyway, loading speeds improved to around a minute. Which still isn’t great, and I suspect I do still have a system performance issue to get to the bottom of, but it’s a lot better than it was.
Posted By: Kendaric Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 07:12 AM
It's slow for me as well, with loading times of over 5 minutes (depending on far into the game the save is).
Posted By: virion Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 07:59 AM
Ngl i installed BG3 for the 3rd time since the early access release to check out the latest changes. And loading save games is actually not a problem at all(10 seconds max). Hard drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB.
Posted By: Flooter Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 08:37 AM
I have the same issue. OP seems to suggest that clicking "continue" on the starting screen loads the game faster than re-loading a save from the options menu. I've noticed that as well, to the point where I'd rather restart BG3 entirely than reload a save.
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 11:42 AM
I just use the time to peruse social media smile
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by virion
Ngl i installed BG3 for the 3rd time since the early access release to check out the latest changes. And loading save games is actually not a problem at all(10 seconds max). Hard drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB.

That’s so fast! I have a 1TB NVMe SSD (Western Digital rather than Samsung) and it still takes around a minute to load a save.

But as I mentioned before, it was taking 5 mins with that same drive until I increased my RAM from 8GB so it’s clearly not only the hard drive that can impact loading times.
Posted By: magiccozmo Re: Save games take forever to load? - 09/08/22 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

That’s so fast! I have a 1TB NVMe SSD (Western Digital rather than Samsung) and it still takes around a minute to load a save.

But as I mentioned before, it was taking 5 mins with that same drive until I increased my RAM from 8GB so it’s clearly not only the hard drive that can impact loading times.
I too have 8gb and still takes many minutes to load. Granted, I have BG3 on my HD not SSD (my SSD is smallish)

OTOH, having such looooong save load times makes me more cautious.

On the gripping hand, it really sucks when I am trying to make a vid to show something specific...
Loading saves?
Shit. I can't even save without the game crashing so I can't even play really.
Posted By: virion Re: Save games take forever to load? - 10/08/22 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by magiccozmo

I too have 8gb and still takes many minutes to load. Granted, I have BG3 on my HD not SSD (my SSD is smallish)

OTOH, having such looooong save load times makes me more cautious.

On the gripping hand, it really sucks when I am trying to make a vid to show something specific...

Didn't think RAM could impact loading times but now that you say it it kinda makes sense. First loading is definitely a bit longer( around 20 seconds). But loading saves is almost instant. 20 gb ram.
Meanwhile my graphic card sucks to a degree you cannot comprehend ( Nvidia 950M)
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Save games take forever to load? - 10/08/22 10:22 AM
This video might be quite interesting for you:

Part related to your question starts at 1:40 wink
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: Save games take forever to load? - 10/08/22 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This video might be quite interesting for you

Thanks, interesting indeed. It also made me a bit interested in having a go playing Wyll as an origin character, which is a first!
Posted By: magiccozmo Re: Save games take forever to load? - 10/08/22 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This video might be quite interesting for you:

Part related to your question starts at 1:40 wink

FYI , here is my vid of me reaching at the 'ceiling' of BG3.

(really hope they don't nerf box stacking, too much fun
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: Save games take forever to load? - 19/08/22 08:48 PM
I was finding loading taking absolutely ages, like 5 or more minutes, back in patch 6. My system was recommended or better in most respects other than RAM, of which I only had 8GB. Once I bought more RAM, which I had been meaning to do anyway, loading speeds improved to around a minute. Which still isn’t great, and I suspect I do still have a system performance issue to get to the bottom of, but it’s a lot better than it was.

Just in case it’s useful info for someone else, thought I’d update to say that I’ve got to the bottom of one system performance issue I’ve been having with BG3. Turns out the problem was Game DVR in Windows 11 and once I followed the steps to turn it off as described at https://appuals.com/fix-low-fps-while-gaming-windows-11/, FPS improved drastically though unfortunately not loading times.

To help anyone diagnose a similar problem, what I was seeing was terrible FPS in DirectX 11 (i.e. less than five) and okay but not stellar FPS with Vulkan (mid forties). With Game DVR turned off, Vulkan FPS increased to the mid sixties and DirectX 11 to around fifty.
© Larian Studios forums