Larian Studios
Posted By: magiccozmo Your most favortie tadpole power? - 09/08/22 10:00 PM
I really love druid's brain puppy powa.
Posted By: Sigi98 Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 07:44 AM
I love the warlock's ability to teleport to other infected people. I get it every time laugh
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 08:42 AM
Not using the tadpole... so I can't say.
Posted By: Kendaric Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Same for me.

Why would I even want to use the powers of a parasite that was implanted into me by my captors and that could (and for all I know will) turn me into an Illithid? The only time I'm actually using the tadpole is on the Nautiloid to free Shadowheart, since that makes sense from a RP point of view.
Posted By: virion Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Kendaric

Same for me.

Why would I even want to use the powers of a parasite that was implanted into me by my captors and that could (and for all I know will) turn me into an Illithid? The only time I'm actually using the tadpole is on the Nautiloid to free Shadowheart, since that makes sense from a RP point of view.

Because....you like tentacles? Like.... it's a valid explanation.
Posted By: Crimsomrider Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 10:22 AM
If I had to pick one, it would definitely be Lae'zel's Illithid whip. Pulling enemies far above her and seeing them go splat is so fun laugh

The most disappointing though is the Barbarian. Utterly useless.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 10:35 AM
To be quite honest i dont think i like any of them too much ...
Warlock is kinda neat ... but nothing special, since you can jump only once and only towards other party member. :-/
But i really love that Nightcrawler animation, when i use it with my Tiefling. :3 laugh

If i would pick the worse ... that would be easier, to me that is Ranger.

Why would I even want to use ...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
(Sory, this forum really uses images as big as they can be.)

With emphasis on the word *you* ...
Personaly i really love tormenting Shadowheart with this (since your party gets mad at your companion, every time they use the power), but if you (as a player) REALLY want to have your tadpole powers, but your character would NEVER EVER EVER ... ever ... use that power, bcs its scary and dangerous ... all you need to do is let one of your companions fall for it. laugh
For example Astarion or Wyll makes perfect scapegoat ... since they both are overcomfident about themselves, and dismissive about dangers of tadpole. wink
Posted By: Ussnorway Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 01:29 PM
i think the Bard power can be good against a boss fight but i've only used the tadpole system once just to see what happened story wise
Posted By: 1varangian Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 01:33 PM
I don't think any sensible person would like the idea of a parasite in their brain much, and it's unknown what using those powers does to their health. And the magic involved, perhaps you can be mind controlled or killed at any time. Hence not using the powers and getting it removed at the first opportunity. Save for perhaps Astarion, but I never have him in my party because the whole vampire storyline is so cringe.

I will be very annoyed if the tadpole can't be promptly removed because Larian decided for me that I need fun powers, and that's all the tadpole is without any drawbacks.
Posted By: neprostoman Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 02:08 PM
I haven't yet used ranger's and barbarian's power, but from all that I've used psionic pull seems the most fun.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I will be very annoyed if the tadpole can't be promptly removed because Larian decided for me that I need fun powers, and that's all the tadpole is without any drawbacks.
With tadpoles being source/bhaalspawn essence I am willing to bet that we are stuck with them for the entire game. At the end of act1 we will learn what the tadpoles are really for, like we learned there is more to us being sorcce users in D:OS2. The rest of the game will follow from that.

As to OP. I used tadpol and gained access to its powers once. Can't remember quite what it was.
Posted By: Neleothesze Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by 1varangian
With tadpoles being source/bhaalspawn essence I am willing to bet that we are stuck with them for the entire game. At the end of act1 we will learn what the tadpoles are really for, like we learned there is more to us being sorcce users in D:OS2. The rest of the game will follow from that.
Already in EA, if you use the tadpole enough times you become a mind-controllable True Soul (The Absolute tries to control you on the bridge, nearly succeeds, and Shadowheart comes along with her d20-shaped Deus Ex Githyan-kina to save the day.) But logic and self-preservation aside, the player is incentivized to keep using the tadpole (not only for the powers but for easy conflict resolution & to get info on the team's supposed enemies). So I believe the game will push for illtihid wisdom checks to hook most players by the time of the 'grand reveal'.

Maybe a few players will be at 0 tadpole dreams, and they will get some sort of funny subverting expectations scene (like actually sitting down to eat Raphael's food) but for everyone else, I expect some grand climactic moment full of dramatic tension, painful choices, etcetc.

On topic: my favorite tadpole power is a tie between the knockback + dmg from the Underdark quest and the cleric's on death heal. It's a decent oh shit button, but would be even better if it scaled with level.
Posted By: Boblawblah Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Neleothesze
Already in EA, if you use the tadpole enough times you become a mind-controllable True Soul (The Absolute tries to control you on the bridge, nearly succeeds, and Shadowheart comes along with her d20-shaped Deus Ex Githyan-kina to save the day.)

I got that exact same scene and haven't ever used the tadpole power. I have a feeling it's going to be a fairly railroaded experience with all "choices" leading to one or two outcomes.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 10:13 PM
Already in EA, if you use the tadpole enough times you become a mind-controllable True Soul (The Absolute tries to control you on the bridge, nearly succeeds, and Shadowheart comes along with her d20-shaped Deus Ex Githyan-kina to save the day.)
That cutscene triggers when you reach an exit from the map and happens regardless of your choices - not only regardless of you using the tadpole, but even meeting Shadowheart and the weapon.
Posted By: magiccozmo Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 10/08/22 10:38 PM
That cutscene triggers when you reach an exit from the map and happens regardless of your choices - not only regardless of you using the tadpole, but even meeting Shadowheart and the weapon.

IIRC Larian has stated that they want to make sure you have the funky box no matter what you do.
Posted By: Neleothesze Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 11/08/22 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by magiccozmo
IIRC Larian has stated that they want to make sure you have the funky box no matter what you do.
Ah, BG3's version of Solasta's
1. Take the Crown 2. Take the Crown 3. Take the Crown 4. Take the Crown
Noted. I sure love this kind of storytelling... rolleyes /s And here I thought it was actually related to my ingame choices. Well, you learn smth new every patch. smile
Posted By: Shlamorel Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 11/08/22 06:27 AM
OF the classes I've played I like The fighter one the best. It's 100% reliable.

Wizard one - not used if you're not targeted for 2 rounds. Would enjoy it more if it had a longer duration.

Cleric - Heals someone if they die, but you can use that action / bonus action to heal them prempetively instead. I don't get it. Would be better if it had a longer duration.

Warlock - misty step light

Fighter - 100% pull gurantee (at least in my experience). Close gaps, save your allies from using a disengage, unique vs other abilities.

I haven't played every class though. Maybe others are better.
Posted By: lamaros Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 12/08/22 02:47 AM
Huh? What's a tadpole power?
Posted By: Neleothesze Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 12/08/22 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by lamaros

@lamaros sorry, I couldn't help myself. laugh It's not a perfect fit but...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Tadpole powers are class-specific powers you get after using the illithid tadpole enough times & with enough long rests to get several dream cinematics.

There is an additional, generic tadpole power the player can grt by completing an Underdark quest. These powers are 1 use/rest but some people said you get more uses (or SR vs LR) if you progress enough to get the True Soul tag (after the dream sequence where you confess to the Mysterious Guest that you want to hurt him/eat him and he says "I know. But you'll keep fighting, won't you?") I don't remember that but I just didn't use them often enough for the CD to matter.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 12/08/22 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by lamaros
In case that's a genuine question and not sarcasting comment, if you use tadpole in one of the available conversation checks, you will be rewarded with class specific power.
Posted By: neprostoman Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 12/08/22 11:28 AM
You need to do it twice, I think.
Posted By: cool-dude01 Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:08 AM

Same for me.

Exactly. Why would I use the tadpole power, when I know almost nothing about it, and have no feasible means in which to control it? Maybe I would consider using it, if I knew more about it, and knew who was behind the magic that encompasses it. Perhaps if I knew these things, I'd learn of a way to control it? it's very hard to use the tadpole, and not have your immersion instantly broken, because of how stupid it is to use it.
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:19 AM
It is a dumb mechanic which will contribute towards this game aging poorly.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:26 AM
I have refused to use the tadpole ever since the "Passing Out" sequence was alluded to at Moonrise. Why would you entertain a parasite in your brain knowing that it's slowly taking over you with VERY IMMEDIATE CONSEQUENCES regarding people who you are actively hunting, and who are actively hunting you? I don't get why any character with an ounce of a sense of self-preservation would do that.
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:27 AM
I think its all down to your character as to why or why not you would use it.

I'm doing an evil playthrough now with a power mad wizard who is becoming increasingly tempted by powers offered by the tadpole. It doesn't break my immersion at all because its in keeping with this particular character. We all know IRL that many people become tempted by and addicted to things they shouldn't.

By having the tadpole powers present there is obviously a storyline to follow there and I'm curious to see where it goes.
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:28 AM
Maybe if your character has rock-bottom Intelligence and/or Wisdom.
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:32 AM
Some of these arguments would apply equally well to the Warlock class. Why would anyone sell their soul and sign up for eternal damnation for some powers?
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
Some of these arguments would apply equally well to the Warlock class. Why would anyone sell their soul and sign up for eternal damnation for some powers.

Agreed. Besides which, I never liked the "power spam" nature of the class...it feels very MMORPG-y.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:35 AM

I'm doing an evil playthrough now with a power mad wizard who is becoming increasingly tempted by powers offered by the tadpole. It doesn't break my immersion at all because its in keeping with this particular character. We all know IRL that many people become tempted by and addicted to things they shouldn't.

By having the tadpole powers present there is obviously a storyline to follow there and I'm curious to see where it goes.
You make a fair point. All sorts of different characters exist, but...
It's a brain parasite, not a heroin addiction or a hunger for power. I'm not hung up on being seduced by the promise of power (that's cool); rather, I think it's really, really hard to get over the fact that it's a brain parasite. There's an element of being a victim of body horror and psychological horror that doesn't necessarily gel with my concept of a self-serving, power-hungry individual. I think a lot of power-hungry, selfish characters also have a sense of self-preservation, if not a particularly strong one.
Posted By: Ragitsu Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:37 AM
At least an evil Priest/Cleric has a legitimate reason for their method of pursuing power: they're either hoping to be (favorably) noticed by their deity or they plan to climb the ranks of whatever hellish afterlife awaits them.
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

You make a fair point. All sorts of different characters exist, but...
It's a brain parasite, not a heroin addiction or a hunger for power. I'm not hung up on being seduced by the promise of power (that's cool); rather, I think it's really, really hard to get over the fact that it's a brain parasite. There's an element of being a victim of body horror and psychological horror that doesn't necessarily gel with my concept of a self-serving, power-hungry individual. I think a lot of power-hungry, selfish characters also have a sense of self-preservation, if not a particularly strong one.

For sure, in the case of Burotia (my evil wizard) she is fascinated by necromancy, inspired by Thayan legend she already aspires to become a Lich ultimately. Whilst initially frightening she suspects something unusual about the tadpoles ( I assume she has at least as much awareness as Gale "something unusual about our tadpoles"). She's motivated to get rid of it but as option after option ends in a dead end and the powers prove more useful and interesting she begins to think of an alternative to becoming a Lich, maybe better than a Lich?
She hasn't given up on the idea of getting rid of the tadpole it seems to be the best idea and certainly SH and Lae'zel think its a fraud but Burotia is uncertain and gets a rush out of these powers....besides the dream was pretty good.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:49 AM
If the Dead Three are involved, I wouldn't be against the idea that we (the tadpole-infested PC) are already dead as the game starts, given the game specifically starts with the insertion of the parasite, and only then shows our perspective, after which it asks "Who are you?" The Netherese-modified tadpole did eat our brain, just not in the way it usually does, because modifications. Jergal follows us around 'cause we are half-dead tadpole hybrids made from Mindflayers and Netherese experimentation. It actually explains why "THE BLADE OF FRONTIERS," or "THE WIZARD OF WATERDEEP," or "MINSC" are level one... they're technically dead, but the modified ceremorphosis preserved their consciousness and personality. It explains why none of the usual vampire stuff applies to Astarion. It then gives us a very, very vested interest in the activities of the Gods of Death.

On the other hand, doesn't explain Raphael's offers, so... maybe not.
Posted By: cool-dude01 Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 03:10 AM
Some of these arguments would apply equally well to the Warlock class. Why would anyone sell their soul and sign up for eternal damnation for some powers?

True. But warlocks have flexbility in their RP. Some warlocks are drawn into a pact because of a deal someone in their family made with a devil, and they don't have a choice in the matter. Some warlocks have patrons that aren't even aware of their existence. or if they are aware, they may not care that there is someone out there using their powers, and want nothing to do with their warlock.

While with the parasite, the game straight up tells you the thing is eating your brain. Taking something of you that you won't get back, etc.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by cool-dude01

True. But warlocks have flexbility in their RP. Some warlocks are drawn into a pact because of a deal someone in their family made with a devil, and they don't have a choice in the matter. Some warlocks have patrons that aren't even aware of their existence. or if they are aware, they may not care that there is someone out there using their powers, and want nothing to do with their warlock.

While with the parasite, the game straight up tells you the thing is eating your brain. Taking something of you that you won't get back, etc.
Is that implied to be eating, or taking over? I thought it seemed more like it was taking over than eating.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 06:24 AM
Tadpole was then inserted in the host's cranium through a nostril, ear canal, or eye socket. It then burrowed into the brain and quickly devoured the gray matter, growing in the process as it replaced the brain with its own tissue and attached itself to the brain stem like a parasite. This initial process, which happened over a period of a few hours,[5] effectively completely replaced the victim's personality with the tadpole's, while still keeping the body alive for the second stage of the transformation.
It does both as you can see. smile
Source: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ceremorphosis

BUT!
That is regular case, ours do neither ... thats why we are still oureself and in control. You could say that its just chillin inside our head. laugh

---

But i think Warlock argument is a valid one ...
Yes Warlocks who didnt trade their body and soul for power exists ... but that only mean that they arent who we are talking about. laugh
And not just them ... how about Clerics of Evil Gods, like Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul? laugh
How about oathbreaker Paladins?
How about Necromancers, or whole Shadow weave ...

I mean this world offers amcountless opourtunities to questionable and potentialy corupting power ... so whats one more? laugh
Posted By: Gray Ghost Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 07:11 AM
I think part of it is that it's just very direct and visceral in a way those other things usually aren't. Based on narration, our character is aware that they're losing something as they use the tadpole. Making a deal to sell your soul in the future, worshipping an evil god, those things are more distant, more of a "someday" problem. Or with the gods, a case of religious zeal and fanatacism that doesn't necessarily have to end badly for you. And even if it does, you've been indoctrinated to believe that such an end is a worthy outcome for your devotion. As for necromancers, they're at least theoretically in control during the whole process if they became a Lich. With the tadpole, you have no control over it, no understanding of how it works, and you do know that using it immediately costs you something whether you like it or not. Using it in moments of desperation are the clearest justification to my mind.

I genuinely think if they didn't make it so immediately obvious that you're losing yourself every time you use the tadpole, if it weren't so visceral and undeniable to the player in particular, using the powers would be a broadly more appealing prospect.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
As for necromancers, they're at least theoretically in control during the whole process if they became a Lich. With the tadpole, you have no control over it
How so?
Its you who are reaching for their power ... its you who are using them ... yes it may affect/corupt you in return, just as necrotic magic does.

no understanding of how it works
Thats also not necesarily true ...
Our characzer can be educated enough to know regular ceremorphosis, just as Gale or Lae'zel are.

Or you ca be ignorant to the process as Astarion, Karlach or Wyll are.

and you do know that using it immediately costs you something whether you like it or not. Usi.
Maybe i remember something wrong ...
But isnt this said after some time? I believe first few uses seemed consequence free.
But even if not you find out only after ... it dont come with sign "warning coruptable powers are bad for your mental health". laugh

Also "loose something" is quite vague description ...
When you loose your virginity is that purely bad?
(I gues it depends on who you ask laugh )
Posted By: neprostoman Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 08:18 AM
Using or not is just a super simple risk/reward game, I don't like to save scum so when I am in a bad spot and one of the powers is a life saver I use it. Who wouldn't? If we are comprehending games from a realistic standpoint, like a lot of folks tend to be doing here, then fear of death should be motivating enough, shouldn't it?
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 10:00 AM
Is that implied to be eating, or taking over? I thought it seemed more like it was taking over than eating.
Nah, when you use tadpole the descriptions strongly suggest that the thing is eating deeper into your noggin.
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:24 PM
If the Dead Three are involved, I wouldn't be against the idea that we (the tadpole-infested PC) are already dead as the game starts, given the game specifically starts with the insertion of the parasite, and only then shows our perspective, after which it asks "Who are you?" The Netherese-modified tadpole did eat our brain, just not in the way it usually does, because modifications. Jergal follows us around 'cause we are half-dead tadpole hybrids made from Mindflayers and Netherese experimentation. It actually explains why "THE BLADE OF FRONTIERS," or "THE WIZARD OF WATERDEEP," or "MINSC" are level one... they're technically dead, but the modified ceremorphosis preserved their consciousness and personality. It explains why none of the usual vampire stuff applies to Astarion. It then gives us a very, very vested interest in the activities of the Gods of Death.

On the other hand, doesn't explain Raphael's offers, so... maybe not.

Interesting take
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Using or not is just a super simple risk/reward game, I don't like to save scum so when I am in a bad spot and one of the powers is a life saver I use it. Who wouldn't? If we are comprehending games from a realistic standpoint, like a lot of folks tend to be doing here, then fear of death should be motivating enough, shouldn't it?

True...and more potentially....

The reasons why a a particular character would choose to use the powers is because they believe (albeit potentially incorrectly) that the risk reward ratio is acceptable. It certainly seems in keeping with Astarion's character that he would embrace the powers as the tadpole seems to have freed him in many ways. I don't think its immersion breaking for Astarion to believe there might be a way to control the tadpole or at least live with it to his benefit. He's already undead after all.

What if the Absolute is someone like Zariel who is using Netherese magic to create a new being, the "True Soul" a kind of hybrid Warlock. Empowered by the modified tadpole, safe from becoming a mindflayer so long as you remain faithful. There would certainly be some willing to make such a commitment (even if it is ultimately a lie).
Posted By: Gray Ghost Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
As for necromancers, they're at least theoretically in control during the whole process if they became a Lich. With the tadpole, you have no control over it
How so?
Its you who are reaching for their power ... its you who are using them ... yes it may affect/corupt you in return, just as necrotic magic does.

True, but a wizard is able to study necromancy, to understand how it works and why it does what it does, what risks there are, etc, things you can't do with the tadpole. To provide a visceral example, imagine invoking tadpole powers is like reaching into a box of invisible knives. You might come out unscathed, but if you do it's by pure luck. Necromancy is like reaching into that same box of knives but fully lit. You're still likely to get cut, but you can at least do things to mitigate the damage, or at the very least understand how much damage is at stake.

no understanding of how it works
Thats also not necesarily true ...
Our characzer can be educated enough to know regular ceremorphosis, just as Gale or Lae'zel are.

Or you ca be ignorant to the process as Astarion, Karlach or Wyll are.[/quote]

They know how normal ceremorphosis works, but not whatever bizarre aberration they're experiencing now.All they know is that it's not working the way it should and they have some unknown amount of time longer than they normally would. So knoweldge of regular ceremorphosis doesn't really help that much.

and you do know that using it immediately costs you something whether you like it or not. Usi.
Maybe i remember something wrong ...
But isnt this said after some time? I believe first few uses seemed consequence free.
But even if not you find out only after ... it dont come with sign "warning coruptable powers are bad for your mental health". laugh[/quote]

I'll admit that I can't exactly remember when the warning comes up either.

Also "loose something" is quite vague description ...
When you loose your virginity is that purely bad?
(I gues it depends on who you ask laugh )

But you don't actually know what you're losing. And if you want to make a guess then well, you're dealing with creatures that eat and mess with mortal brains, and invoking power from a creature that's firmly in your brain. The first assumption most anyone would make is that you're losing something relating to your brain/mind. And even if you don't make that assumption, losing something that you don't know about, it could be unimportant sure, but it could also be very important.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 01:58 PM
Necromancy is like reaching into that same box of knives but fully lit.
*Corection: Can be ... wink

Its minor difference, but important. smile
Yes, you Wizard *can be* educated and really well aware of coruptng powers of necromancy ...
OR and that is also possible, that Wizard can simply be some dude who managed few basic cantrips, find some grimoar, and start learning from it ... and before you know it, he ding level 10 and no longer care that his weins starts to show up, his eyes seems watered, his skin is unnaturaly pale, and his muscles seems to be atrofic. smile

You said it yourself after all ... Wizard "is able" to study, but nothig more. wink

but not whatever bizarre aberration they're experiencing now.
To recognize this you would need to metagame ...

All they know is that it's not working the way it should and they have some unknown amount of time longer than they normally would.
Yup ...
Educated person can recognize that something is different within meere few hours ... since he is still fully aware of himself, any more time just adds value to this observation.

The question that person must ask then would be: Is that good, or bad sign?

And that is totally us to your character personality ...
- they can freak out anyway, well basicaly for any reason including "simply bcs!" laugh ... just as Shadowheart do.
- or they can be completely cool, simply presume something went wrong and they are perfectly safe ... just as Wyll do.
- and of course, they can do infinite nuances between those two extreme states. laugh

So knoweldge of regular ceremorphosis doesn't really help that much.
Oh please ...

Have you ever seen any educational video about drugs? Dont you know how those people keep repeating the same phrase?
Its: "Im not addicted, i can stop whenever i want" ... and we all know the truth, some of them know it aswell, they just cant force themselves to admit it, bcs truth is too scary.
Same situation is here ...
Yes, some could teoreticaly find out and admit that they have problem ... but for others, the truth is too scary ... so they will rather pretend that nothing bad is happening, and they are fully in control ... until it will be too late. wink

Same goes on our streets ... speed limits exists for reason, and yet from statistic around 70% of drivers ignore it ... why? Simple, they all believe that they are so good drivers, so nothing bad can happen to them.

In therms of netherese ceremorphosis, your own Ego is your worse enemy. laugh

I'll admit that I can't exactly remember when the warning comes up either.
So ... lets put this argument to ice, so it dont spoil? smile laugh

But you don't actually know what you're losing.
Exactly my point my dear uncolored spirit! laugh

Even one step futher ... we dont even know if we are actualy "losing something" our character actualy had ... bare with me:

As far as i know, Narator only describe our feeling ... so we feel like we loose something that we can never get back ...
That may indeed be part of our self ... or something simmilar, that we loose, bcs we are changing.
OR! And i think i dont need to say that i find this option more probable, but i just did anyway. laugh
It can be something spiritual ... or simply collorfull description of remorse ... we know that power is "unclean" ... and yet we used it, we were "pure" before and we lost that purity, forever, with no way to get it back ... like remaining scar on our soul that will never trully heal.

Thats why used virginity as an example ...
In some cultures even today loosing it before mariage is concidered quite bad ... other groups of people simply dont give a shit ... and there are even people who seeing having it as something bad. laugh
And yet it can be described as "you feel like you lost something you will never get back". wink
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 01:59 PM
Nah, when you use tadpole the descriptions strongly suggest that the thing is eating deeper into your noggin.
https://i.imgflip.com/33sr7r.png
Posted By: Boblawblah Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 02:09 PM
They've never given me a good reason to use the power other than "look into the mind of these companions you don't like" or "convince this person you don't like to do something for you" when there's always another way that doesn't involve the tadpole. I just don't see any point to it.
Posted By: Boblawblah Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by virion

Same for me.

Because....you like tentacles? Like.... it's a valid explanation.

also
[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Gray Ghost Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 02:34 PM
Necromancy is like reaching into that same box of knives but fully lit.
*Corection: Can be ... wink

Its minor difference, but important. smile
Yes, you Wizard *can be* educated and really well aware of coruptng powers of necromancy ...
OR and that is also possible, that Wizard can simply be some dude who managed few basic cantrips, find some grimoar, and start learning from it ... and before you know it, he ding level 10 and no longer care that his weins starts to show up, his eyes seems watered, his skin is unnaturaly pale, and his muscles seems to be atrofic. smile

You said it yourself after all ... Wizard "is able" to study, but nothig more. wink

Fair enough.

but not whatever bizarre aberration they're experiencing now.
To recognize this you would need to metagame ...

Here I disagree and am confused because you refute this argument immediately later in your post. There's no way for your character not to know that what's going on with the tadpoles is an aberration. You should have changed within hours and you haven't.

All they know is that it's not working the way it should and they have some unknown amount of time longer than they normally would.
Yup ...
Educated person can recognize that something is different within meere few hours ... since he is still fully aware of himself, any more time just adds value to this observation.

The question that person must ask then would be: Is that good, or bad sign?

And that is totally us to your character personality ...
- they can freak out anyway, well basicaly for any reason including "simply bcs!" laugh ... just as Shadowheart do.
- or they can be completely cool, simply presume something went wrong and they are perfectly safe ... just as Wyll do.
- and of course, they can do infinite nuances between those two extreme states. laugh

I'll write this off as my nervous, timid brain being fundamentally unable to grasp that people could look at such a risk and not take the cautious route. It seems bizarre and insane to me, but people are weird.

So knoweldge of regular ceremorphosis doesn't really help that much.
Oh please ...

Have you ever seen any educational video about drugs? Dont you know how those people keep repeating the same phrase?
Its: "Im not addicted, i can stop whenever i want" ... and we all know the truth, some of them know it aswell, they just cant force themselves to admit it, bcs truth is too scary.
Same situation is here ...
Yes, some could teoreticaly find out and admit that they have problem ... but for others, the truth is too scary ... so they will rather pretend that nothing bad is happening, and they are fully in control ... until it will be too late. wink

Same goes on our streets ... speed limits exists for reason, and yet from statistic around 70% of drivers ignore it ... why? Simple, they all believe that they are so good drivers, so nothing bad can happen to them.

In therms of netherese ceremorphosis, your own Ego is your worse enemy. laugh

I see the point you're making, but I don't think it quite links to my point. Also the idea that 70% of drivers ignore speed limits is horrifying and those people should never be allowed to drive. I just took my first driving theory test and it taught me that driving is too dangerous to let so many people do it. Clearly the standards are too low. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.

But you don't actually know what you're losing.
Exactly my point my dear uncolored spirit! laugh

Even one step futher ... we dont even know if we are actualy "losing something" our character actualy had ... bare with me:

As far as i know, Narator only describe our feeling ... so we feel like we loose something that we can never get back ...
That may indeed be part of our self ... or something simmilar, that we loose, bcs we are changing.
OR! And i think i dont need to say that i find this option more probable, but i just did anyway. laugh
It can be something spiritual ... or simply collorfull description of remorse ... we know that power is "unclean" ... and yet we used it, we were "pure" before and we lost that purity, forever, with no way to get it back ... like remaining scar on our soul that will never trully heal.

Thats why used virginity as an example ...
In some cultures even today loosing it before mariage is concidered quite bad ... other groups of people simply dont give a shit ... and there are even people who seeing having it as something bad. laugh
And yet it can be described as "you feel like you lost something you will never get back". wink
[/quote]

My problem with this argument is twofold. Firstly, if what we're losing is spiritual, that's not any better. This is a magical world with confirmed souls and afterlives. A scar on the soul isn't just a metaphorical issue, it can have very real consequences that may or may not present themselves before death. It's not really an argument for not taking the loss seriously. It's not just metaphorically unclean power, it's potentially metaphysically unclean. Losing one's virginity doesn't actually mark you metaphysically, and if it does we aren't capable of measuring that. But the forgotten realms is a place where such things CAN be measured, more often than not. At least, I have to assume so since we've been given no indication otherwise.

My second problem is with the idea that it's only a "colorful description" because it's describing something that our character is actively feeling. If it's trying to convey remose, then that's the game deciding how our character feels emotionally, which isn't good in an rpg. My interpretation that it's a literal feeling we experience, a tangible loss that can't be ignored and doesn't change based on the kind of person we are. So if we go by your assumption, then we're assuming the game is poorly designed in that instance. My stance tends to be that, unless there's further evidence that a thing is a mistake, I assume it's on purpose to some degree.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 25/08/22 05:06 PM
Here I disagree and am confused because you refute this argument immediately later in your post. There's no way for your character not to know that what's going on with the tadpoles is an aberration. You should have changed within hours and you haven't.
Thats what it means? laugh
Im sorry, my misstake ... i thought that to call something "aberration" it needs to be so weird so you dont even believe it originates from this world (i know Illithids technicaly dont, but to make something THAT weid even to their standards) ... while what your characters would recognize would be at best that something is not quite right.

To put it into numbers ...
To be aware that something is not as it should be ... it would need to reach rating 1-3 on scale to 20.
To call it aberration ... it would need to reach rating 18+ on scale to 20.

I'll write this off as my nervous, timid brain being fundamentally unable to grasp that people could look at such a risk and not take the cautious route. It seems bizarre and insane to me
It is ... but not impossible. smile
And thats my point.

I would never act like that myself ...
But then, i would also never travel to camp of strictly carnivorous goblins, that often have taste for humanoid flesh just in company of three complete strangers, from wich one allready tryed to kill me, and another one let it clearly known that she concider me less significant than insects beneath her feets. laugh

I think we need to start thinking outside of our own box ... and supress our self-preservation instict a little since ... lets be honest, most of *us* would probably just shit themselves and die in few dozen seconds later after our awakening on Nautiloid. laugh
At least im quite sure that i would. :-/

I see the point you're making, but I don't think it quite links to my point.
How so?

I set there the conection ... its psychological matter ... to confront your problem, you must admit you have the problem, and that is a big step ... especialy in situation where nothing presses you and it seems like ignoring the problem bares no consequences. wink

Also the idea that 70% of drivers ignore speed limits is horrifying and those people should never be allowed to drive. I just took my first driving theory test and it taught me that driving is too dangerous to let so many people do it.
Well, its Czech statistics ... we have quite bad reputation about our driving in Europe. :-/
Its not so dramatic as it sounds ... i mean for purpose of statistic even person who drives 55km/h instead of 50 as they should are included as those who ignore the limit ... and that is basicaly no real difference.
On highways tho ... well, some take it to extremes there. :-/

And yes i agree ... those people should never be allowed to drive ... those and many, many, many, many more for various reasons. :-/
I drive Van for a living few years now ... and i swear to you ... you wouldnt believe all the stories i could tell. :-/

Firstly, if what we're losing is spiritual, that's not any better. This is a magical world with confirmed souls and afterlives. A scar on the soul isn't just a metaphorical issue, it can have very real consequences that may or may not present themselves before death. It's not really an argument for not taking the loss seriously.
No, its an argument for possibility to be taken as seriously (or not) as willingly signing a pact with a fiend. wink

Losing one's virginity doesn't actually mark you metaphysically, and if it does we aren't capable of measuring that.
I could counterargument this ... but i really dont want to bring real world politics and religions here. laugh

But the forgotten realms is a place where such things CAN be measured, more often than not.
Indeed ...
But that only means that there is risk, or cost if you wish, involved ... i doubt anyone expected anything different. laugh

My second problem is with the idea that it's only a "colorful description" because it's describing something that our character is actively feeling. If it's trying to convey remose, then that's the game deciding how our character feels emotionally, which isn't good in an rpg. My interpretation that it's a literal feeling we experience, a tangible loss that can't be ignored and doesn't change based on the kind of person we are. So if we go by your assumption, then we're assuming the game is poorly designed in that instance. My stance tends to be that, unless there's further evidence that a thing is a mistake, I assume it's on purpose to some degree.
I see ... well, maybe i expressed myself poorly.

I think your description is fitting ... but since we dont know what we lost, and its just some imaginary "something" its still quite hard to grasp and react on it. :-/
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 27/08/22 12:59 AM

+1
Posted By: JandK Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 27/08/22 01:29 AM
On topic:

It's hard to choose my favorite. Probably in this order, from best to worst:

1. Fighter - always fun
2. Wizard - reflective shield is incredibly useful if timed properly
3. Bard - amazing ability
4. Sorcerer - I especially like being able to twin spell the ability
5. Rogue - the only issue I have with this is that it goes away too soon
6. Warlock - I like the mobility, but this one isn't higher because there are already so many options for misty step
7. Cleric - doesn't last long enough, but it's good when useful
8. Druid - I'm not particularly impressed with the shape's abilities, but I prefer it over the next two
9. Barbarian - that d4 of damage adds up quick, but maybe it's better at later levels?
10. Ranger - I just really don't like this one
Posted By: Demothios Re: Your most favortie tadpole power? - 05/09/22 07:31 PM
Aesthetically and from an immidiate and practical POV, I like the sorcerer tadpower. But.... I actually feel proper scolded during the "you're endangering the rest of us! Now apologize to the group and be a good boy/girl" - speech, so I've since tried restricting myself a bit per playthrough. Emphasis on *try*, though... Somehow ended up becoming True Soul in my current playthrough before even finishing the druid/goblin issue (tbf, by the time I killed the hobgoblin boss, I pretty much cleared everything "on the surface", including killing Ethel, reading the Thayan book, and killing the "devilhunters" , and giving Gale the two items he needs.) I think I used the illithid/wisdom option a bit too often when trying to delve in to companions' thoughts.
© Larian Studios forums