Larian Studios
Posted By: mercurial_ann When will the marketing campaign start - 18/01/23 08:00 AM
I'm really glad we got a release date and the game itself is amazing. So i want bg3 to sell well for devs' hard work to pay off
And here's the question - when will the ad campaign start? trailers, interviews, gameplay demos(of 1.0 version of course) and so on. we haven't got much time really
What do you think?
Posted By: Hoppa Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 18/01/23 08:44 AM
I think it started at the same time as EA.
Originally Posted by Hoppa
I think it started at the same time as EA.

Yes, I think so too. At the latest since the Collectors Edition the whole marketing takes shape...
Well...
As far as i know, marketing usually starts about 3-6 months prior release. So ... that would be next month?

On the other hand, Hoppa have good point, main reason for marketing is to let people know about your game, i hardly doubt there is even single person interested in BG-3 that never heard about it yet. laugh And if there is, i dont really know, what other marketing Larian would need to use, in order to let him know. laugh

On the another other hand tho ... it dont really makes much sense to expect Larian to keep things completely quiet til August(?) ... there will be another hipe wave to start, im sure.

So ...
My gues is between end of May and start of June.
Posted By: Icelyn Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 18/01/23 12:48 PM
I was wondering, too! I would like to know the final details of the game such as number of companions and who they are, if the pc has full VO, and any other new features not in EA! 😊

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Well...
As far as i know, marketing usually starts about 3-6 months prior release. So ... that would be next month?
Next month sounds good to me! biggrin
i hardly doubt there is even single person interested in BG-3 that never heard about it yet.
i tend to disagree. for example, games like starfield or jedi survivor have way more views if you compare their trailers and bg3's. i think that bg3 is an AAA game so it should be properly advertised to sell as it deserves to
Posted By: Wormerine Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 18/01/23 05:04 PM
It’s Bethesda and Star Wars game - those will reach interest of people who don’t play games on regular basis. I don’t thing BG3 stands a chance.

Speaking of which, when will Starfield’s marketing begin? We still don’t know what the game even is. (I know they are preparing a presentation in the future).
Posted By: snowram Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 18/01/23 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Speaking of which, when will Starfield’s marketing begin? We still don’t know what the game even is. (I know they are preparing a presentation in the future).
Same question, but for the new Zelda game. Lots of question marks on new releases this year.
Honestly, I don't think there was even that much marketing for Divinity Original Sin 2 either.

I remember when BG3 got shown off at the Game Awards last month, most of the general gaming community in the stream chat just laughed at how out of place it looked compared to a lot of the more traditional games shown alongside it. People were calling it a tech demo and shit.

At that point, I think Larian would want the game to rely on word of mouth and rave reviews more than anything else, same way as DOS2.
Posted By: gaymer Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 18/01/23 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I remember when BG3 got shown off at the Game Awards last month, most of the general gaming community in the stream chat just laughed at how out of place it looked compared to a lot of the more traditional games shown alongside it. People were calling it a tech demo and shit.

I noticed that too.
Originally Posted by gaymer
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari

I noticed that too.
I hate to say it, but dated game genre is dated. I like this type of game, but I don't think it has significant mainstream appeal to warrant a strong reaction at a large showcase. As much as the people on this forum enjoy them, there's definitely something anachronistic about isometric RPGs in 2023. The good news is that BG3 has a TTRP community, a DOS community, and a Baldur's Gate community (caveat--over two decades old). Outside of these groups and people that like narrative-driven RPGs, I don't see how the game appeals to your average gamerâ„¢.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 19/01/23 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I hate to say it, but dated game genre is dated. I like this type of game, but I don't think it has significant mainstream appeal to warrant a strong reaction at a large showcase. As much as the people on this forum enjoy them, there's definitely something anachronistic about isometric RPGs in 2023. The good news is that BG3 has a TTRP community, a DOS community, and a Baldur's Gate community (caveat--over two decades old). Outside of these groups and people that like narrative-driven RPGs, I don't see how the game appeals to your average gamerâ„¢.
I don't disagree that this is title unlikely to make too many millions in sales, but I really dispise a suggestion that a cRPG would be anachronistic. Why would it be anachronistic? Because it has mechanics deeper than a cow clicker? Doesn't have a battlepass or cosmetic shop? Because it doesn't have raytracing that almost no one will turn on? That it screenshot won't look quite as nice, or "movie like"?

It is not like BG3 was the only "non-traditional" title out there. Hades2, like the first game, was announced on the conference, we also had trailer for Diablo4, Company of Heroes 3, Earthblade. Perhaps, BG3 should have gone Diablo and CoH route and show CGI trailer instead. I doubt most of the Game Awards audience cares how the game actually plays - they wouldn't gobble any of the AAA junk otherwise.
Posted By: snowram Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 19/01/23 01:48 AM
I don't disagree that this is title unlikely to make too many millions in sales, but I really dispise a suggestion that a cRPG would be anachronistic. Why would it be anachronistic? Because it has mechanics deeper than a cow clicker? Doesn't have a battlepass or cosmetic shop? Because it doesn't have raytracing that almost no one will turn on? That it screenshot won't look quite as nice, or "movie like"?
It is anachronistic because the video game world has radically shifted since the golden age of CRPGs. The main demography of players is now overwhelmed by people who play to get a dopamine hit or zone out instead of being deeply invested in complex systems. Why would you risk so much in making a game for a vanishing public instead of safely releasing something that you know will be profitable by default and is way easier to produce?
Originally Posted by snowram
Why would you risk so much in making a game for a vanishing public instead of safely releasing something that you know will be profitable by default and is way easier to produce?

Presumably because it’s a project you care about and you believe in the game you’re producing! Thank goodness all game companies don’t just chase the easy bucks, otherwise we’d not have much choice of different sorts of games to play.
Posted By: Icelyn Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 19/01/23 03:54 AM
BG3 won’t make as much as Call of Duty, but it should still do well! Steam spy estimates it has already sold 2 to 5 million in EA, and EA is usually a small portion of the final sales!
Posted By: Wormerine Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 19/01/23 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by snowram
It is anachronistic because the video game world has radically shifted since the golden age of CRPGs.
What golden age exactly? Bunch of RPG classics have been commercial flops and under the radar smaller productions. I don’t think RPGs in general have ever been selling blockbuster. Maybe Larian will be the company to achieve it - maybe they won’t. But so far, for an RPG centric studio they have been doing very well. All they need to do is continue making profit.
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
i hardly doubt there is even single person interested in BG-3 that never heard about it yet.
i tend to disagree. for example, games like starfield or jedi survivor have way more views if you compare their trailers and bg3's. i think that bg3 is an AAA game so it should be properly advertised to sell as it deserves to

Rag was right about one thing though...

Hard to be interested in something you've never heard about :P
I'm not happy about saying this because I like cRPGs, but they are anachronistic. That's why they had to have a whole renaissance with PoE and DOS. Things which are consistently thriving with the times do not need to have a renaissance (literally Rebirth). Something which is alive and well does not need to be reborn. The people that made the first two games which preceded this game were already shifting to over-the-shoulder perspective, 3D environments, reduced party-management, and more real-time-without-pause action. Bioware went from BG2 to Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Mass Effect Trilogy, and Dragon Age Games. Gradually more open world, more cinematic, more single-character-control focused. Other cRPG makers just died as companies only to be revived with kickstarters a decade later. RPGs ARE popular, just not cRPGs. Major games are increasingly open world, quest-oriented, single-character-created-and-controlled, over-the-shoulder or first-person, with 3D environments and cinematics. That's been the path for A LOT of AAA singleplayer experiences. Isometric RPGs do not fall into that category of game which is popularly made, profitable, and mainstream. They do not attract the same amount of interest or money as the other kind of RPG. They do not get the same notoriety that they used to. That's what makes them anachronistic. Not bad, just a man out of time. If you played DOS2, kinda like Fane.
That's what makes them anachronistic. Not bad, just a man out of time. If you played DOS2, kinda like Fane.

Not that I'm at all invested in this particular debate, but your argument only seems to support the conclusion that games like BG3 aren't fashionable, or as fashionable as their gaming ancestors were at one time or as other types of game currently are. That's not the same as being anachronistic, which would seem to imply that they are necessarily old-fashioned and creating them must be harking back to a previous golden age rather than looking to the future. But the mere fact that the trend these days is towards open world, real time, single-character focussed gameplay doesn't in any way entail that a party-driven, top-down, turn-based game can't be up-to-date and relevant today. I'm sure you're right that such a game probably wouldn't have as much mainstream appeal, but mainstream is most definitely not the same as cutting edge and forward looking! And there is nothing essentially anachronistic in taking inspiration from the past, as long as a new twist is put on it and modern context is recognised, which I think BG3 is so far promising to do very well.

And I also don't think a landscape in which all big games played in much the same way would be a healthy one for the future of the video game industry. Variety is needed for evolution. I hope that it continues to be the case that all sorts of different games can find enough of an audience to keep the companies that want to make them afloat.
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
That's what makes them anachronistic. Not bad, just a man out of time. If you played DOS2, kinda like Fane.

Not that I'm at all invested in this particular debate, but your argument only seems to support the conclusion that games like BG3 aren't fashionable, or as fashionable as their gaming ancestors were at one time or as other types of game currently are. That's not the same as being anachronistic, which would seem to imply that they are necessarily old-fashioned and creating them must be harking back to a previous golden age rather than looking to the future. But the mere fact that the trend these days is towards open world, real time, single-character focussed gameplay doesn't in any way entail that a party-driven, top-down, turn-based game can't be up-to-date and relevant today. I'm sure you're right that such a game probably wouldn't have as much mainstream appeal, but mainstream is most definitely not the same as cutting edge and forward looking! And there is nothing essentially anachronistic in taking inspiration from the past, as long as a new twist is put on it and modern context is recognised, which I think BG3 is so far promising to do very well.

And I also don't think a landscape in which all big games played in much the same way would be a healthy one for the future of the video game industry. Variety is needed for evolution. I hope that it continues to be the case that all sorts of different games can find enough of an audience to keep the companies that want to make them afloat.
Maybe you've played more contemporary isometric RPGs than me. What aspect of the genre is forward looking? I'm happy for someone to show me that isometric RPGs are not rooted in appealing to old mechanics in a slightly modernized way.

I'll use BG3 as an example:
It uses a ruleset released over a decade ago, is based on and a sequel to a game series released almost a quarter century ago, uses exploration mechanics that have been in games for over a decade and a half, is marketed with appeals to nostalgic characters from the previous game, doesn't even have all the features of its predecessors (D/N cycle?), uses a style of game that reached its market relevance peak almost a quarter of a century ago, has film-like cinematics which were introduced to RPGs over a decade and a half ago, has graphics that are just barely up-to-par with current games, and has the same level of world-and-item-interactivity as games a decade ago (in the case of DOS1, a little under). All I see on this forum is people wanting the game to be more like BG1+2, wanting the game to be more like 5e, wanting the game to be more like this RPG or that RPG.

I see only one place where this game is actually pushing gaming forward: permutations. There is genuine innovation in how Larian is trying to merge roleplay-narrative and the free-form immersive sim.

But isometric RPGs are definitely old-school to me, at least.

Variety is needed for evolution. But a new coat of paint on an old genre isn't evolution. Now, I haven't played Disco Elysium, which apparently is a gamechanger, but I can say that the Pathfinder: Kingmaker and PoE1 were very much backward looking rather than forward looking.

Edit: To clarify, this isn't really a debate I'd be upset to lose. I'd love to be told that there is a way that contemporary isometric RPGs are transcending their nostalgic origins and are moving on as a genre in their own right. I just don't see it?
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

Was i? laugh

I never heared about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III. being in development ... and im very interested in it. laugh
Posted By: Wormerine Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 20/01/23 12:15 AM
Variety is needed for evolution.
If you are looking for major developments like those that were happening in 90s and early 00s you will just not find those - in any genre. There needs to be a major development in what is possible for such changes to happen. Since 7th generation things were pretty uneventful. Gradual enhancements but no game changing developments, aside from more and more aggressive monatization. VR seemed like the next possible thing, but it is just doesn't seem to go anywhere. Maybe it is too expensive for now to really make an impact. If you are waiting for an RPG that won't look or play like older RPGs - I think you will have to wait. Since I was actively playing (so about 20 years) games have been mostly just getting prettier.

I thought D:OS1&2 were actually very little like classic RPGs - they use their own quest design and world structure, they focus on coop and player to player interactions, favour sandbox systems. Combat system is unique (on a side note during "golden age of RPGs" Sven wasn't about to make turn based RPG as it wasn't deemed as fashinable at the time) and translating status effects into on map surfaces that can be used tactically through positioning and changed by adding new status effects on top of the old ones have been a very clever and novel design. I can't recall an RPG before where players could talk and argue with each other in game. I do say, that my feelings toward D:OS2 and BG3 are cooler - I feel they Larian didn't develop their own ideas, and istead focuses on adding stuff players expect from RPGs.

PoE1&2 definitely harken back to old, but I think you are also overlooking the fact that they don't play completely like the old games. The system is completely original - overlooking how the game plays I think would be a big mistake. Evolution is on a systemic level, rather than technological one. I also don't remember any game before doing reputations like PoE does them. Nor companions that would join conversation as much as companions in Deadfire.

On a similar level Disco Elysium has some very clever designs when it comes to reactivity and character building. The companion you get is incredibly complex, but I can't tell if there is something special about his design, or just so many resources were poured into a single companion that he stands out.

I think that saying that modern RPGs didn't evolve, is a bit like looking at DOOM and new shooters and saying they haven't evolved because you are still just clicking on enemies. Yes, the last major changes to RPGs happened when they were translated into new platform - consoles. So yeah, recent more PC centric releases feel a bit more "oldschool" as they are being designed once again for PC again. Unless there will be new platform to translate RPGs to, new interesting control method, or a new techology appears that will set a completely new standard for what is possible, I don't think we will see a groundbreaking new design.

Yes, I too wish we had more truly interesting titles like Dark Souls, Death Stranding or Outer Wilds, but like with any medium I think one needs to accept that a lot of new things done will be expanding on existing ideas, and only occasionally trully new ways of thinking will emerge. The question about cRPG isn't "are they like the old ones" but "are they expanding/improving on what the old ones did" and "is there more one could do in the genre". If the answer is "yes", than there is a very good reason for those games to be made.
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

Was i? laugh

I never heared about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III. being in development ... and im very interested in it. laugh

Yes you were Rag. You can't be interested in the development of a game if you don't know that the development is happening. You can though, be interested of learning that it is happening or will happen in the future, i.e. hoping to hear/read/get news about it. It's a small difference in definitions but it's there.
Ok, i take the compliment. smile
Posted By: TallManks Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 20/01/23 09:35 PM
I have a little questionwhat is the average age of players of BG 1 + 2, DOS 1 +2, Pillars of eternity, or Arcanum. I'm in my late forties, I was in my early twenties when BG was released. Being so old I ten to watch to those games in a very nostalgic way, but I also remember that at the end of the 90's a RPG that make a huge impact was released too: Daggerfall. The only game, before Disco Elisyum, in my experience obviously, it was Daggerfall. Wich had a bigger impact on the spreading of RPG videogames than BG.

Nevertheless there is another thing I remember well: in those days weren't common as today, neither were consoles, furthermore being videogamers was saw as being outcasts, and rpg players had a long way before The Bing Bang theory (and the pandemic) made role playing mainstream.

What happens when market grows? Software houses need to adjust to reach the bigger audience possible (indie producers maybe start as that but if they want a serious income and profit they have to evolve and adpat).

Role Playing is an idea that can be developped in different ways: tabletop, in real life role play, video games. Table top requires some basic rules to make it possible manage battles and chats between characters (otherwise the dungeon master would gone mad because everyone attempt to speak or make their battle moment in the same time.

As I said before is part of the charm of table top games, the question that arise is if is it possible to create a videogame that follows D&D tabletop rules in the more faithful way possible. There's a lot of irony in the fact that the rpg games that made a breakthrough in the area (Dragon Age Origins, Daggerfall, Divinity Original Sin) are games that broke a lot of D&D tabletop rules, either in character creation, magic management, battle management.

That been said, the problem is that in the current days videogames are taking two very distinct ways: or being utterly difficult (Elden Ring, as example, for casual players is hell) or really dumbed down (Skyrim and a lot of MMORPGs) or come out full of bugs (Cyber punk 2077), that is on one side the target is a niche of players that love to put their skills on test with compelling challenges, on the other side there are casual players that pay to have a full experience with little work, we can see that in mobile games were there is an abbundance of games in wich the only way to advance is to have a trust fund, so here we have the Bethesda fall down (Skyrim is a shadow of what Daggerfall and Morrowind were), Larian was able to find a middle way withe DOS 1 and 2 giving players the option to play with different difficult levels but again those games didn't follow the rules of magic use and battle tabletop's systems.

More recently Outerworlds (Obsidian) showed that party based games without day/night cicle can still have a big impact, while open worlds start showing they limits.

BG3 is a game that appeals to nostalgia of some games while trying to hit a bigger audience. That means that the full game has to give more than tickiling players' nostalgia (isometric, party group, lack of day night cycle, turn based battles) wich means story has to be really engaging, characters have to have equally interesting background stories.

The early access shows some promises but also it revealed how Larian has become more inclined to fan pressure (I'll have answers to some qestions about the use of flexibility instead of a banal hardening the difficulty of the game in an attempt to appease the hardcore d&d table top players), and if they are going to have the courage to avoid fan pleasing the herosexuality (yes, I'm on the side of the idea that a good game doesn't have to rely in completely submission to fan service), but I still have a lot of doubts (and the fact that they haven't said anything about digital versions while pushing for a very expensive limited collectors edition, that again appeals to a segment of players, doesn't help).
Posted By: Wormerine Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 20/01/23 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by TallManks
More recently Outerworlds (Obsidian) showed that party based games without day/night cicle can still have a big impact, while open worlds start showing they limits.
First of all I wouldn't call Outer Worlds party based - yes you get two followers, but it is still first person combat first, and companion management is minimal and optional. I also would be careful with drawing any conclusions about OW success outside it releasing after 76 was a fortunate timing.
Isometric doesn't have to mean <old school>. Diablo 4 is isometric 3D. Plays and looks pretty damm nice. Makes me wish BG3 had similar art direction with a wider area camera. Imagine this image with a higher up view , and 6 party members smile
And it rains! Unlike the entirety of BG3 EA.
As for a 23 year old game, BG2 is old but still looks great. Asking a non gamer (my wife) which picture looks better, she says the bottom one smile
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D4's art style after playing it on PS5 is incredible. Baldur's Gate 3 has a ..I don't know how to describe it, sort of like a theatre production vibe to it if that makes any sense. It's not going to change now, but damn, D4 is looking incredible for the most part.
Posted By: Leucrotta Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 16/05/23 07:00 PM
Artistically it feels very much like a sequel to NWN2 by the creators of DOS2. The pathfinder games remind me much more of BG. IMO of course..
I can speak on this a lot more, as I am youngest member here of you all, I think. And I play a lot of those games and crpgs. It's true that these types of games are outdated. Even in myself- I have more focus then most of my generation- I find it hard to sit and watch the combat last longer then 10 min. An average gamer now has the 1 min patience. This is why shooters and fps games have a 30 sec respawn timer. You run for 30s, you die, you wait, you respawn.

Secondly rng is something dispised by my generation. Games are about skill and positioning, loosing when you did everthing right feels bad. Myself find missing hits infuriating to the point of rage quits. IN BG3, it's less of an issue as you can do gargantuan damage by not using dice. I play this game almost exclusively by throwing bombs and aoe effects. In DOS2 I would teleport around a crate with 99999 weight to kill bosses. For me this is fun.

Now larian does a poor job in guiding or marketing said tactics to players both in game and in videos. If they did so, they could make more profit, as all people like to have fun by killing things in weird ways. Instead my generation sees these games as a click and wait simulator
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 22/05/23 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by AusarViled
I can speak on this a lot more, as I am youngest member here of you all, I think. And I play a lot of those games and crpgs. It's true that these types of games are outdated. Even in myself- I have more focus then most of my generation- I find it hard to sit and watch the combat last longer then 10 min. An average gamer now has the 1 min patience. This is why shooters and fps games have a 30 sec respawn timer. You run for 30s, you die, you wait, you respawn.

Secondly rng is something dispised by my generation. Games are about skill and positioning, loosing when you did everthing right feels bad. Myself find missing hits infuriating to the point of rage quits. IN BG3, it's less of an issue as you can do gargantuan damage by not using dice. I play this game almost exclusively by throwing bombs and aoe effects. In DOS2 I would teleport around a crate with 99999 weight to kill bosses. For me this is fun.

Now larian does a poor job in guiding or marketing said tactics to players both in game and in videos. If they did so, they could make more profit, as all people like to have fun by killing things in weird ways. Instead my generation sees these games as a click and wait simulator
There's a lot of generalization in your post. You might feel this way, and you might have noticed *some* others feeling or acting similarly, but you probably shouldn't attempt to speak for an entire generation of people.

Even *if* your entire generation felt this way, that doesn't necessarily mean that BG3 should be marketed (or designed) for y'all. There are at least 3--probably 4--generations of people who I'd expect will play this game.
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

There's a lot of generalization in your post. You might feel this way, and you might have noticed *some* others feeling or acting similarly, but you probably shouldn't attempt to speak for an entire generation of people.

Even *if* your entire generation felt this way, that doesn't necessarily mean that BG3 should be marketed (or designed) for y'all. There are at least 3--probably 4--generations of people who I'd expect will play this game.

I am well aware of that, this game is primarily for fans of Baulder's gate, or DoS2. Its dos2 that brought me here. And I think most people would agree that game is designed in a way to cater to my generation. A lot of flashy effects, minimal strategy, lots of abilities, faster combat, free respec, infinite ways to get easy gear etc. Hopefully this game will please all the fans
Posted By: dwig Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 23/05/23 04:36 PM
The gaming community is MUCH larger now than it was when Baldur's Gate 1&2 were released. However, even though cRPG enthusiasts may be a smaller percentage of the total now, in absolute terms there are much more of us.

In other words, pursuing a niche in 2023 can be more rewarding than pursuing the mainstream in past years. Pursuing the mainstream now just means that you are competing with everybody else who is doing the same and... you are leaving niche money on the table for somebody else to pick up.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 23/05/23 09:29 PM
Meh, that makes about as little sense to me like saying that one has to aim in a shooter, or jump precisely in platformer. Not that every tactical combat system needs %tohit system, but some kind of "unknown" is necessary - be it unpredictable reaction of human opponent, chance to hit, randomised skilled or unknown threat (fog of war etc). %toHit isn't necessarily my favourite way of making players think, but it does a good enough job.
Posted By: LostSoul Re: When will the marketing campaign start - 29/05/23 08:25 AM
By this time do you think all DnD, larian, BG, crpg fans have heard about bg3?

As Matt Mercer is involved they could get CR involved. Having them play the DM mode would be great advertising.

WoTC can be involved with marketing the game, they have reach and DnD beyond.

If they have done some market research I wonder how many players would buy the game but have no knowledge of the game. There would be many waiting for release, awaiting for certain details etc before deciding to buy...but that group will find out what they need without needing some marketing campaign. Also larian will look a current sales and look at what worked for dos2.
© Larian Studios forums