Larian Studios

BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3

Posted By: loudent

BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 12/06/19 08:32 PM

I loved BG1/2 but the amount of played time with those games is *dwarfed* by the amount of played time in NWN2 (my NWN2 PW is still up and has active players to give some context)

I'm looking forward to BG3 but there' s no reason it can't be both. Hear me out here, the only difference between a BG style game and a NWN style game is a toolset and a runnable server option. They have to make the game anyway so why not start by creating a toolset, one that can be shipped with the game.

look, you can never create content faster than we can consume it, you can never make all the classes or races available in all the books and you cannot legally make any story you want.

But, you don't have to, give us a toolset and we'll do it for you.

(also, when implementing things like races/clases if you find yourself hard-coding these kind of properties, rethink your approach and, please, no hard capped anything)
Posted By: 0Muttley0

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 13/06/19 08:34 AM

Toolset and private servers is pretty high up on my feature requests too. That's why NWN1 and NWN2 have lasted so long. We don't need to rely on matchmaking servers to play because we can just direct connect to somebody's IP address. DM mode is a must have too IMHO.
Posted By: Rafoca

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 14/06/19 12:51 PM

I loved NWN 1 and 2. PLayed a lot in co-op. I would love to see the third installment, but with console versions this time. The first nwn is coming to consoles, so I don´t see why the third, if it evers comes out, couldn´t be as well.

Anyway, I hope Larian gets NWN3 and also some AAA game like Dragon Age in the future
Posted By: Tuco

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 14/06/19 09:28 PM

I've actively disliked NWN 2 for years and I don't think it even competes in the same league with a classic like BG2, so that's definitely a thumb down from me.

Posted By: darklordstudios

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 14/06/19 10:00 PM

I loved the campaign tool in NWN hence my earlier post on that being a HUGE feature request. That's why I spent so much on DnDBeyond as well. I like creating custom content and I run my own homebrew campaigns!!
Posted By: deserk

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 16/06/19 05:56 PM

Hopefully the success of this game may lead to sequels of other DnD classics (I'd really love to see an Icewind Dale 3 too). I definitely hope NWN3 will come one day. BG2 had the most ideal single player experience, but NWN1/2 had the best multiplayer experience. I notice consistently that nearly everyone who has an unfavourable opinion of NWN1/2 judge it entirely on it's single player campaigns, which was never intended to be the core focus of those games. NWN was made specifically to be distinct from BG/IWD games, and provide us something approximating (as close as the engine would allow at the time) the table top experience, yet within the limits of a 3d game. Because of the tools built for the community, the community essentially made this game, with the massive amount of mods, Persistent Worlds (player run servers) and modules created for it during the heyday of those games. The unique possibilities that the NWN1/2 games provided is still something that is entirely unmatched by any other game, but hopefully that won't forever remain the case.
Posted By: kanisatha

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 16/06/19 10:07 PM

Yes I judge the NwN games purely on single-player because I never play anything multiplayer. And yet, my judgement of those games is not entirely negative. I do dislike NwN1 but really love NwN2. The reason has nothing to do with the single-player experience, which is pretty good in both games, but rather that the first game is solo play (i.e. no party) whereas the second game is party-based. That's the key factor for me.
Posted By: Stahl33

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 16/06/19 11:13 PM

I agree... I loved NWN2!

Why? (Some people just say they hated or liked it, but please give reasons!)

Party based, with good extended playing system / rules with plenty of fan created mods to make the game replayable etc...
Graphics was ok, and the main game itself was something I enjoyed.
It had a good castle / home base system that was customizable!!!

--> Customizable stronghold is such a great idea. (DAI said it had different strongholds but it was the same every playthrough really) You could build different buildings for different things, and had to look after your own militia / standing army! Was great!

So all the benefits of BG2 but no drawbacks.... Except that the main game story wasn't as good as BG2.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 17/06/19 09:53 AM

I still think NWN1 is superior to NWN2 except for Mask of the Betrayer.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 18/06/19 12:29 PM

agreed, however i dont think the magic of NWN will come back anytime soon.
There just istn as big a modding scene anymore. Game design is becoming easier and easier, people that used to make peresistant world modules for NWN are now indie game developers.
Posted By: loudent

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 18/06/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
agreed, however i dont think the magic of NWN will come back anytime soon.
There just istn as big a modding scene anymore. Game design is becoming easier and easier, people that used to make peresistant world modules for NWN are now indie game developers.


With as much pleasantness as I can muster: You don't know what you're talking about.

With the release of NWN:EE the modding scene has exploded and there are *hundreds* of PWs currently hosted with thousands of players. NWN2 hasn't benefited from an EE version but still there are dozens of PWs still being run and maintained. CEP and the PRC have reformed and still building.

And the cardinal rule remains the same: You can never make content faster than someone can consume it. It's only untrue if you have a legion of modders working with your game adding content.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 19/06/19 08:52 AM

I dont even disagree with you. But are you actually going to tell me im wrong?
the reason people still mod NWN1 and to a lesser degree NWN2 is because its realy easy. The graphics of NWN1 are extremely simple and the tileset approach to level design makes creating modules realy easy.

OS2 has great modding tools, much better ones than OS1 but you bareley see anyone actually use them. Modding games these days just is more of a hassle, creating new assets requires a level of skill that people who do this as a hobby quite frankly dont posess.
ive dabbled in 3D a bit myself, doing low poly indie tier stuff is easy, adding somehting to a game like OS2 which still isnt exactly Withcer 3... yeah forget about it.

The only modern games that get a lot of modding are stuff like Skyrim and Fallout.
the simpler the graphics and the more open the engine, the more modding you get. Thats why you still see tons of mods for NWN; Morrowind, mount and blade and so on. But bareley any for OS2.

Im not even trying to be a party pooper, i would love to see a return of peresistant worlds, as in my opinion they do RPG multiplayer the best, but i just dont see people doing it in modern games.
Posted By: Redunzgofasta

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 19/06/19 10:31 AM

DM Mode is a must have for me, NwN style dedicated servers would be a nice bonus, but without DM mode I won't even buy the game as I have very little interest in playing RPGs.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 19/06/19 10:40 AM

GM mode was mostly unused in OS2.
Proper peresistant worlds however could lead to a lot of replay value and an extended life and for that alone i say have em.
Posted By: loudent

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 20/06/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sordak
I dont even disagree with you. But are you actually going to tell me im wrong?


Yes
you said

Quote

There just istn as big a modding scene anymore


Industry wide the modding scene has never been bigger. If we're focusing just on the NWN1/2 BG1/2 series the fact that the EE version of NWN has invigorated the modding scene. Like I said CEP and PRC have reformed, hundreds of modules/PW are currently hosted. Maybe not the size of the golden ages but it certainly counts as a revival

and you said:

Quote
people that used to make peresistant world modules for NWN are now indie game developers.


Which is also not true (exhibited by yours truly). I don't want to make games, I want to build worlds. I still maintain a NWN2 PW and am toying around with building an NWN: EE world, but I have no interest in working in the gaming industry or to make games in general.

Quote

the reason people still mod NWN1 and to a lesser degree NWN2 is because its realy easy. The graphics of NWN1 are extremely simple and the tileset approach to level design makes creating modules realy easy.


Sure, "level design" is easy in NWN1 but there is more to modding/world building than slapping the tiles together. In many ways, that's the easiest part.

Quote

OS2 has great modding tools, much better ones than OS1 but you bareley see anyone actually use them. Modding games these days just is more of a hassle, creating new assets requires a level of skill that people who do this as a hobby quite frankly dont posess.


I have never modded OS2 so I can't speak to how good the tools are but the problem is in the game. If they had designed it where your characters were distinct a part from the same game and allows you to play through player made modules with your own characters. Even more if they had supported PWs I would have taken a look, but I think it's just too limited (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote

The only modern games that get a lot of modding are stuff like Skyrim and Fallout.
the simpler the graphics and the more open the engine, the more modding you get. Thats why you still see tons of mods for NWN; Morrowind, mount and blade and so on. But bareley any for OS2.


sure, Skyrim and Fallout get a lot of attention but there is a lot more modding support then you give credit for. More than half my steam games has a well stocked workshop and even games that don't have modding built in, often have a modding community for it. My point is I don't think modding has ever been more popular in general than right now.

Quote

Im not even trying to be a party pooper, i would love to see a return of peresistant worlds, as in my opinion they do RPG multiplayer the best, but i just dont see people doing it in modern games.


Well, you have your wish. Pick up NWN:EE (I think it's around ~$20.00) and there are hundreds of worlds (the EE version finally caught up with NWN2 in terms of having an autodownloader so you don't have to go fishing for PW assets). You can also pick up NWN2 and while there is a bit of work to get it up to date and the number of worlds is much smaller (and most are RP) you can still find a place to play
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 20/06/19 10:32 AM

i got both NWNs obviously, hence why i know about these thigns and like them.
I wish i could share your enthusiasm, i mean if they do it and it works im not gonna complain, but i wouldnt get my hopes up.
These types of things require a big playerbase interrested in modding to get rolling, once its established it tends to run itself.
Posted By: Saerain

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 23/06/19 01:33 AM

Yes, pretty much the reason I was excited to see Larian doing this is that Divinity Engine has already been going in the direction of the Aurora and Electron toolsets. I see it as a chance to finally get D&D back online again, and with 5e no less. It pumps me up.
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 24/06/19 11:33 PM

I also played NWN2 a lot, mostly because of mods and the 2 expansions.

I think Larian their work cut out from them, maybe we must post this threat into Beamdog forum, they made good work with NwN and the bg series.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 25/06/19 11:53 AM

Beamdog did a terrible job with everything.
They added nothing, charge a way too high price, make it impossible to buy the originals without their awfull OC donut steel EEs and their expansion to Baldurs Gate was almost universally loathed.

I supposed NWN EE at least didnt break anything, but it also didnt add anything new.
Posted By: kanisatha

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 25/06/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
Beamdog did a terrible job with everything.
They added nothing, charge a way too high price, make it impossible to buy the originals without their awfull OC donut steel EEs and their expansion to Baldurs Gate was almost universally loathed.

I supposed NWN EE at least didnt break anything, but it also didnt add anything new.

HAHAHA. What a load.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 25/06/19 06:46 PM

i better not tell you that beamdog already had concepts for baldurs gate 3 lying around..
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 30/06/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
Beamdog did a terrible job with everything.
They added nothing, charge a way too high price, make it impossible to buy the originals without their awfull OC donut steel EEs and their expansion to Baldurs Gate was almost universally loathed.

I supposed NWN EE at least didnt break anything, but it also didnt add anything new.

o.o I understand if you do not like Beamdog´s BGEE, but those are a lot of objetively false assertions about Beamdog´s EE versions.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 01/07/19 06:22 PM

such as?
I mean sure i cannot prove that Siege of Dragonspear was universally loathed, because you cant realy prove public opinoin, but i dont know anyone that liked it.
and almost all sites that i frequent dislike it.
As for the actual changes the EE made, i cant think of a lot here that cannot be done with mods.
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 02/07/19 08:23 AM

Starting with the fact that even you changed your statement from "added nothing" to "The actual changes EE made"?

Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 02/07/19 02:06 PM

Alright i had to reread my first post because this was mereley a shortened version of another post i already made.
They added nothing that wasnt arleady covered by modding.
Even adding the character options from BG2 to BG1 was a thing you could already doing with modding.
Posted By: BillyYank

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 02/07/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
Alright i had to reread my first post because this was mereley a shortened version of another post i already made.
They added nothing that wasnt arleady covered by modding.
Even adding the character options from BG2 to BG1 was a thing you could already doing with modding.


Really? Which mod adds dynamic zooming?
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 02/07/19 04:03 PM

Im fairly convinced the widescreen mod does that, i have it for Icewind dale 2 and it works pretty fine (it should work on all infinity engine games)
Posted By: BillyYank

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 02/07/19 06:33 PM

Nope. I tried it on IWD 2 and you're stuck with whatever resolution you pick at the start. Plus the way the UI is split up is really clunky. I ended up quitting around the ice wall. Too spoiled, I guess. Add to that the ease of modding now available, and it looks even worse. UI modding is so easy now, even I was able to make one.
Posted By: Sjakal

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 05/07/19 03:30 PM

Persistent World database tools like NWNx (and editing tools for custom character skills/items/terrain as new 5ed D&D books are released) built into BG3 would be an AWESOME addition for the multiplayer longevity of the game; once the singleplayer campaign is completed and players are starving for more content, the community can develop mini MMO servers for all shapes and sizes. Turn-based combat could function like Divinity 2 where you remain outside in real-time until you attack a combatant or get noticed by them.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 06/07/19 06:23 PM

I want a CRPG sequel to Desert of Desolation, the old FR adventure module, but set in current 5e time. Explore Mulhorand, Tymanther, Unther, Chessenta, Okoth, the ruins of Bakar and Imaskar, the Shadowfell and Feywild reflections of the region, explore the Celestial Nidar.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 10/07/19 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sordak
Beamdog did a terrible job with everything.
They added nothing, charge a way too high price, make it impossible to buy the originals without their awfull OC donut steel EEs and their expansion to Baldurs Gate was almost universally loathed.

I supposed NWN EE at least didnt break anything, but it also didnt add anything new.


Sorry man, you're wrong. While I Highly Disapprove of Beamdog's focus on Console only, that day comes close and then you will see the big changes (x64 and new renderer, for one).
Posted By: NineCoronas

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 10/07/19 05:12 PM

As a longtime NWN EE player, since launch - I can tell you it's been a mixed bag at best. My current largest two gripes are that it introduced a bug where creature's in AoE's do not always get detected and affected by the effect. The other is a memory leak that guarentee's a crash within 4 - 5 hours of play. Both bugs have persisted across several versions and definitely did not exist in 1.69.

On the other hand, hak autodownloader and a new playerlist as well a revitalization of it's online community has certainly been welcome.
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 10/07/19 07:56 PM

To be honest, I played NWN EE a while ago. I think my memories were tinted by nostalgia.
The UI, the graphics and the combat itself are very clunky. The IA of the companions is stupid at its best. Worse for casters. The game controls are not only outdated but frankly annoying ( I can still play deus Ex or Ultima, games as old as this, and they are far player-friendly).
I also did not remember the OC being so boring and empty. The companions are mostly lifeless puppets. We abandoned the game in the asylum because urgh!
The game did not age well.

Hotu and shadows and Daggerford are still fantastic, but I think I am now accustomed to actually control my entire party, equip them and level them up manually. Multiplayer is not that bad, with plenty of persistent worlds.


I prefer a party based game like NWN2 any day of the week in single player. I hope they make an NWN3 or an NWN2EE that brings back modders to the game. Most mods and PW are now outdated or abandoned. You can never have enough D&D, Dark eye or CRPG-based games.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 10/07/19 08:37 PM

sadly NWN3 got killed by it beeing turned into a f2p MMO
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 10/07/19 09:00 PM

Ed: You mean Sword coast legends? I do not really like that game or the spell/skill implementation. I didn´t play much, I have to say.


Gods, also not another Warhammer: vermintide please.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 10/07/19 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Sordak
Beamdog did a terrible job with everything.
They added nothing, charge a way too high price, make it impossible to buy the originals without their awfull OC donut steel EEs and their expansion to Baldurs Gate was almost universally loathed.

I supposed NWN EE at least didnt break anything, but it also didnt add anything new.


Sorry man, you're wrong. While I Highly Disapprove of Beamdog's focus on Console only, that day comes close and then you will see the big changes (x64 and new renderer, for one).


I don't know what renderers do/mean
Posted By: Dark_Ansem

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/07/19 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Sordak
Beamdog did a terrible job with everything.
They added nothing, charge a way too high price, make it impossible to buy the originals without their awfull OC donut steel EEs and their expansion to Baldurs Gate was almost universally loathed.

I supposed NWN EE at least didnt break anything, but it also didnt add anything new.


Sorry man, you're wrong. While I Highly Disapprove of Beamdog's focus on Console only, that day comes close and then you will see the big changes (x64 and new renderer, for one).


I don't know what renderers do/mean


http://blog.beamdog.com/2019/03/beamdog-update-march-19-2019.html
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/07/19 11:06 AM

i mean Neverwinter the MMO.

Originally neverwinter was supposed to be NWN3 but in 4E. (thus the name change)
Thats why Neverwitner also had a map editor despite beeing an MMO.
During development tho it got sold to an MMo company and made into an F2P MMO, which turned it into a very grind heavy game.

Which is a shame, the graphics are nice, the combat is, for an action MMO, pretty good and it releases content packs based on all new DnD Modules:
Its basically unplayable tho since its so grind and P2W intensive that its a waste of your time and money.

IDK what your problem with vermintide is, i personally think Vermintide is the best implementation of the Left 4 Dead genre yet and also the game that nails the Warhammer feel the best, besides maybe TWW2 which does a better job at showing the non Old World factions.
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 12/07/19 11:13 AM

@Sordak I´ve got no problem with W: Vermintide per se. I just do not want an NWN4 or BG game as a coop action online game with no single-player campaign.

I prefer W: Mordheim or Total war: warhammer, to be honest, but Vermintide is one of the best if you like that type of game.


And yeah, I also tried NWN MMO, you are right in your evaluation.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 18/07/19 02:29 AM

I think the NW MMO is a very poor attempt to adapt 4e to a video game, I mean how do you screw up the one edition that was specifically designed for MMOs?

Ironically the only MMO I play or have an interest in is Star Trek online. It can be grindy, but only if you are obsessive about collecting stuff. You can just buy a great C-Store ship or ship packs and just play episdoes and missions, with zero grind. If you don't
have your heart set on a particular ship, I suggest either the Cardassian Intel Ship pack (one of my personal favourites) or the 31st century pack, because both packs ships can be used by Characters of any faction, are really fun, and have lots of features. Best value for money.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 18/07/19 10:59 AM

maybe because it wasnt designed for MMOs and the combat system doesnt work in real time because its specifically designed for tactical turn based, positioning and resource management focused combat
Posted By: Shabu

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 27/01/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
I dont even disagree with you. But are you actually going to tell me im wrong?
the reason people still mod NWN1 and to a lesser degree NWN2 is because its realy easy. The graphics of NWN1 are extremely simple and the tileset approach to level design makes creating modules realy easy.

OS2 has great modding tools, much better ones than OS1 but you bareley see anyone actually use them. Modding games these days just is more of a hassle, creating new assets requires a level of skill that people who do this as a hobby quite frankly dont posess.
ive dabbled in 3D a bit myself, doing low poly indie tier stuff is easy, adding somehting to a game like OS2 which still isnt exactly Withcer 3... yeah forget about it.

The only modern games that get a lot of modding are stuff like Skyrim and Fallout.
the simpler the graphics and the more open the engine, the more modding you get. Thats why you still see tons of mods for NWN; Morrowind, mount and blade and so on. But bareley any for OS2.

Im not even trying to be a party pooper, i would love to see a return of peresistant worlds, as in my opinion they do RPG multiplayer the best, but i just dont see people doing it in modern games.


It all depends on the tools available...
Posted By: mhroczyn

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 29/01/20 08:53 PM

Slow down dude slow down. It is BG3 not NWN3 and I there is no reason to have toolset with this game. I expect great story, D&D 5e, nice visuals and great companions nothing more. Let them focus on those aspects so we will get high quality product. When time will come someone will make NWN3 and they will be obligated to provide single player campaign and a toolset. Btw who owns the rights for NWN brand BioWare (EA), Beamdog or Obsidian(Microsoft)?
Posted By: anxnox

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 31/01/20 08:00 AM

No. After BG3 there should be BG4.
NWN was wooden and very ugly.
Posted By: Izlych

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 02/02/20 03:02 AM


“Massively” multiplayer online games never inspired me, but persistent worlds and stand-alone adventures in NWN kept me hooked for years (I still occasionally visit NWN2 communities in-game).

Just an idea, but with NWN as an example, there was little incentive for the company to maintain the game infrastructure once the community played through the original story and a few follow-on modules.

What if beyond the gameplay/story being developed, BG3 would separately welcome community based mods and have a user friendly toolset for dungeon and even persistent world development? In order to access and use community based content (persistent worlds, standalone adventures, locations, items, spells, etc.) players would need to subscribe to a very small monthly fee, say $1 US? That way the company would have a steady flow of income without much expense, giving them an incentive to continue to support the platform, and the mod and player communities would have a place to build a BG or NWN style experience for others to enjoy?

I’d pay $1 month to access that online content.
Posted By: Shabu

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 03/02/20 04:21 AM

At a minimum, player made content would rock, even if it was single player or multiplayer ( i think b3 would be multiplayer ? )
Posted By: Horrorscope

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 28/02/20 06:26 PM

And when we get NWN3, what I really want is DDO2!
Posted By: Rifkin

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 28/02/20 08:18 PM

Oh boy... I created an account just to reply to this thread... LOL

Please don't take this the wrong way, but after seeing what Larian has done with Baldur's Gate... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AO, DO NOT LET THEM ANYWHERE NEAR NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 3
Posted By: AnonySimon

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 28/02/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rifkin
Oh boy... I created an account just to reply to this thread... LOL

Please don't take this the wrong way, but after seeing what Larian has done with Baldur's Gate... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AO, DO NOT LET THEM ANYWHERE NEAR NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 3


+1

I could not agree more. That is not to say that I think that Baldur's Gate 3 will be terrible, but it is currently not headed in a direction that I approve of.
Posted By: Saerain

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 01/03/20 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by mhroczyn
Slow down dude slow down. It is BG3 not NWN3 and I there is no reason to have toolset with this game.

Eh? Same reasons as DOS2, plus an extra in that it's D&D. Given the engine heritage it's almost certain they're using an evolution of the editor as it is.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 01/03/20 10:06 AM

Peresistant servers still would be the absolute best thing.
genuinly the thing id be most excited for, but multiplayer seems to be yet again limited to 4 players so its prolly not happening
Posted By: Sjakal

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 07:54 AM

Yeah, the max 4 player limit and no dedicated server thing, kind of makes me sad and longing for what could have been.

Dedicated servers, high player counts, persistent database plugins, these are all good things NWN had since roughly 2005 or so.
They largely contribute to why Neverwinter Nights 1 is still played actively in multiplayer today, almost 18 years past launch date.

Workshop mod support with Larian's editor and the above would bring a LOT of lasting value to BG3 but I fear it will not happen.
If someone knows a thread/site/poll/petition to make this visible to the dev team, do tell (as a post-launch feature is just fine also).

I will probably ONLY buy BG3 if the above is implemented, otherwise DOS2 will serve me just fine I think.
Posted By: TheInfinitySock

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 08:01 AM

As much as I am looking forward to BG3 I would also like to see someone working on NWN3
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 10:21 AM

yeah i think larian misjudget the medium.
People dont need something to play DnD with, that already exists in the form of real life and roll20.

Why would i substitute my real life campaign with one where i have infinitly more work to do beforehand, and then have less to do during the fact as a DM?

However, stuff like peresistant worlds are actually popular.
Posted By: CyberianK

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 11:28 AM

It is a traditional linear, story focused single player RPG with additional coop MP of the same experience tacked on. (and that is a good thing)

That whole "let me be your dungeon master" is just marketing talk.

The NWN concept of running your own campaigns in it was ultimately a failure. For that to work you basically need some highly paid 3D artist slaves in your cellar that create the assets that you need. Platforms like Roll20 and D&D Beyond and other tools for map generation and helpers basically enable what the original NWN promise was.
Posted By: Riandor

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 11:31 AM

Agreed, running D&D through the NWN DM tool was not worth the hassle, but for the creation of persistent servers it was awesome.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 11:47 AM

i was referring to divinity original sin 2 and why its modding tools never have taken off while NWNs are still beeing used many years later

OS2 tried too hard to push the GM mode while not realizing that the strenght of the CRPG medium is the connectivity and the automatization.
Nobody wants to DM for 20 people who all are in different parts of the world.
but a PC can do that.
Posted By: Nyanko

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 11:49 AM

I am tired of this kind of posts. It's BG3, it's not NWN. It doesn't bring anything to the table, just some lamentations of players who want another game. It's like if you were going to CDPR's Cyberpunk forum and ask for a new Shadowrun game with toolset. Seriously, people. Can we focus on the actual game from Larian Studios here?
Posted By: Riandor

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nyanko
I am tired of this kind of posts. It's BG3, it's not NWN. It doesn't bring anything to the table, just some lamentations of players who want another game. It's like if you were going to CDPR's Cyberpunk forum and ask for a new Shadowrun game with toolset. Seriously, people. Can we focus on the actual game from Larian Studios here?

Easy tiger--- it's relatively harmless in here.

It is also conceivable that Larian provides a DM tool for BG3, though still only a guess., so no harm in discussing the pros and cons and what NWN brought to the table in that regard.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 04:23 PM

whats this nonsense.
Larian already did DMtools once and they didnt get used.
Neverwinter Nights doesnt have the sole right to DM tools
Posted By: anjovis bonus

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tuco
I've actively disliked NWN 2 for years and I don't think it even competes in the same league with a classic like BG2, so that's definitely a thumb down from me.


Agreed, it's not a good game. A good example of how a game can turn out bad even if they try to follow the baldurs gate formula.
Posted By: Ignatius

Re: BG3 is great but what I really want is NWN3 - 11/03/20 06:28 PM

Having a toolset as easy to use as NWN would yield a host of player made modules. Some of which, as far as story and other content, were better than most of the cRPGs released these days.
© 2020 Larian Studios forums