Larian Studios

What races class combo do you want to try in BG3?

Posted By: Omegaphallic

What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 09/07/19 12:31 AM

I want to try Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer, Drow Wild Sorcerer, Yuan Ti Pureblood Paladin of Conquest, Triton Storm Sorcerer, Shadar Kai Way of Shadows Monk, Eladarin Oath of the Ancients Paladin, Kobold Beastmaster Ranger, Fierna Tiefling Trickery Cleric.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/07/19 09:07 AM

Your enthusiasm is infectious.
I'm actually hoping to be able to play a Mystic Theurge, for once.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/07/19 02:57 PM

In 5e there is nothing called a Mystic Theurge, but that is because the way the rules are designed, it's redundant. There are many ways to design one.

In 5e see if you just multiclass say Cleric and Wizard that works better then 3.5 Mystic Theurge ever did. You will get a 9th level spell slot, up 5th level of spells known in both classes, and various features like the Clerics Channel Divinity, 4 out of 5 of your domain subclass features, destroy undead of up to 1 CR, Divine Intervention, and the Wizards Arcane Recovery, and 3 out of 4 Arcane Tradition subclass features.

Alternately you can just play a straight Wizard or Cleric but take the Ritual Caster feat which is basically a specialized form of multiclassing where you get a ritual caster book that you can put spells with the ritual tag into it from the class you linked the feat to. So a Cleric with the ritual caster feat Wizard could put spells like Find Familiar, Dectect Magic, Breath Water, Illusionary Steed, Tiny Hut, and more into their Ritual Caster book.

Way 3 is the Divine Soul Sorcerer. A Sorcerer who gets a feature at first level called Divine Magic that allows him to pick Divine Spells by picking spells off the cleric spell list as well as the Sorcerer's spell list, and a bonus cleric spell. He also can boost his own and his allies healing spells for 1 sorcery point, gets either angelic, demonic, or dragonfly wings depending on alignment affinity of his un/holy ancestor, and a major self heal at high level. And the usual Sorcerer stuff, metamagic, flexible casting, and extra cantrip. I like to take Ritual Casting Feat Wizard or Cleric or Druid or Bard in addition.

Way 4 is to play a Bard and cherry pick spells from the cleric and wizard spell lists using magical secrets.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/07/19 03:33 PM

well going pnly by PHB, im gonna end up playing a Dragonborn or Half orc battlemaster. Maybe going for the Polearm master / sentinell meme build
If some other things are included i absoluteley want to try a Conquest Paladin.
Im mostly a DM myself, so getting to actually make a chracter myself is already a win for me.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/07/19 03:44 PM

It occurs to me that we don't know how many characters we make ourselves in BG3, if the partybis the Protangonist, it might be more then 1 in addition to companions.
Posted By: LostSoul

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/07/19 12:31 AM

First question if what rule books will they use; Xanathars, Eberron, etc. Will they allow all races, classes and subclasses, feats etc. Im sure there'll be plenty of options. And after starting can we design our companions
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/07/19 11:03 AM

right now id expet PHB and nothing beyond that, especialy Volos and Xanthars sound like a bit of a stretch, Volos more so than Xanthars.
In terms of races: if you look at OS2, Larians approach to races is deep rather than wide, each race in OS2 had its own unique armor sets and weapons, its own unique animaitons and so on.
that doesnt lead itself to having 20+ races.
Then again, in DnD the vast majority of races is very simmilar to Humans.
From the PHB races only the Dragonborn and Tieflings are siginificantly different from Humans and even those are, essentialy, just humans with dragon heads or demon tails respectiveley
Posted By: Dark_Ansem

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/07/19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
In 5e there is nothing called a Mystic Theurge, but that is because the way the rules are designed, it's redundant. There are many ways to design one.

In 5e see if you just multiclass say Cleric and Wizard that works better then 3.5 Mystic Theurge ever did. You will get a 9th level spell slot, up 5th level of spells known in both classes, and various features like the Clerics Channel Divinity, 4 out of 5 of your domain subclass features, destroy undead of up to 1 CR, Divine Intervention, and the Wizards Arcane Recovery, and 3 out of 4 Arcane Tradition subclass features.

Alternately you can just play a straight Wizard or Cleric but take the Ritual Caster feat which is basically a specialized form of multiclassing where you get a ritual caster book that you can put spells with the ritual tag into it from the class you linked the feat to. So a Cleric with the ritual caster feat Wizard could put spells like Find Familiar, Dectect Magic, Breath Water, Illusionary Steed, Tiny Hut, and more into their Ritual Caster book.

Way 3 is the Divine Soul Sorcerer. A Sorcerer who gets a feature at first level called Divine Magic that allows him to pick Divine Spells by picking spells off the cleric spell list as well as the Sorcerer's spell list, and a bonus cleric spell. He also can boost his own and his allies healing spells for 1 sorcery point, gets either angelic, demonic, or dragonfly wings depending on alignment affinity of his un/holy ancestor, and a major self heal at high level. And the usual Sorcerer stuff, metamagic, flexible casting, and extra cantrip. I like to take Ritual Casting Feat Wizard or Cleric or Druid or Bard in addition.

Way 4 is to play a Bard and cherry pick spells from the cleric and wizard spell lists using magical secrets.



Very interesting!
Posted By: Stahl33

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 12/07/19 01:34 AM

any good place to read up about 5e?

I thought sorcerer was redundant with the new way spells were handled... but I must be wrong!
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 12/07/19 11:27 AM

5E still has spellsots, you are thinking 4E
Posted By: BillyYank

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 12/07/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stahl33
any good place to read up about 5e?


You could start here:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 12/07/19 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
right now id expet PHB and nothing beyond that, especialy Volos and Xanthars sound like a bit of a stretch, Volos more so than Xanthars.
In terms of races: if you look at OS2, Larians approach to races is deep rather than wide, each race in OS2 had its own unique armor sets and weapons, its own unique animaitons and so on.
that doesnt lead itself to having 20+ races.
Then again, in DnD the vast majority of races is very simmilar to Humans.
From the PHB races only the Dragonborn and Tieflings are siginificantly different from Humans and even those are, essentialy, just humans with dragon heads or demon tails respectiveley


These are D&D races following 5e rules. Most of the work will be in creating the avatars of each race. No unique racial armour or anything like that. Limited racial feats in XGTE. Bladesinger wizard subclass only allows Elves and Half Elves (Shadar Kai are elves now, so they can be bladesinger which is just kind of weird), and battlerager barbarian subclass is Dwarf only. Other then those and the races traits there are no real races unique stuff.

So adding races in will be easier, plus the shear size of the team.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 13/07/19 11:03 AM

Well, the Armors in Divintiy were also not "Racial" armors but each armor appeared differently on each race because each of them had a distinct visual theme.
This is less true in DnD, but it also depends on the artist.
In some editions certain races have very strong aestheitcs to them.
I also dont think its gonna happen, but its a possibility.
as for racial archetypes, well, i somehow dont think well get to that.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 13/07/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
Well, the Armors in Divintiy were also not "Racial" armors but each armor appeared differently on each race because each of them had a distinct visual theme.
This is less true in DnD, but it also depends on the artist.
In some editions certain races have very strong aestheitcs to them.
I also dont think its gonna happen, but its a possibility.
as for racial archetypes, well, i somehow dont think well get to that.


They have a really big team so I'm not worried about it.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 14/07/19 07:46 AM

i suspect they also have a bigger team because they aim for higher graphical fidelity, one of my guess is that they stocked up on animators
Posted By: Lemernis

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 14/07/19 06:56 PM

CG Human Wizard (generalist)... for sure...

One of my favorite character runs through the BG series was with a NG Half-orc Cleric-Thief. So that one...

Probably TN half elven Fighter-Transmuter...
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 15/07/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lemernis
CG Human Wizard (generalist)... for sure...

One of my favorite character runs through the BG series was with a NG Half-orc Cleric-Thief. So that one...

Probably TN half elven Fighter-Transmuter...


5e doesn't have generalist wizards.

It has Transmuters, Illusionists, Enchanters, Necromancers, Diviners, Abjurationists, Evokers, Conjurers, Bladesingers, and Warmages in 5e, but no generalists.
Posted By: Lemernis

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 15/07/19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Lemernis
CG Human Wizard (generalist)... for sure...

One of my favorite character runs through the BG series was with a NG Half-orc Cleric-Thief. So that one...

Probably TN half elven Fighter-Transmuter...


5e doesn't have generalist wizards.

It has Transmuters, Illusionists, Enchanters, Necromancers, Diviners, Abjurationists, Evokers, Conjurers, Bladesingers, and Warmages in 5e, but no generalists.


Ah, thanks. Still haven't read up in any detail, just skimming the SRD and PHB thus far.
Posted By: Nobody_Special

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 15/07/19 11:54 AM

There are not opposite schools of magic that are off limit in 5E.
Posted By: captainmike2

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 15/07/19 01:25 PM

Some nice Hydrosophist combo
Posted By: Wintermist

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 15/07/19 02:27 PM

I would most likely start with a Human Druid, it's boring I know but I got a thing for druids :P

THEN, I would probably try a Dragonborn Paladin. I so very rarely play Paladins.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 15/07/19 05:08 PM

i honestly think human druid is the coolest way of doing a druid, play it celtic.
Elven druids are pretty lame
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 18/07/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sordak
i honestly think human druid is the coolest way of doing a druid, play it celtic.
Elven druids are pretty lame


I think Firbolgs are the coolest way to play Druids, just ignore WotC's retconned 5e description of them that rips off the Wood Giants looks, and use the original one, big, red headed, Celtic looking quasi giants.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 18/07/19 10:59 AM

well yes, but were they ever playable before 5E? I mean you CAN play pretty much whatever, but Firbolg just arent something i consciously think about when i think "PC option"
Posted By: Elgalad

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/07/19 12:16 AM

My usual first 'go to' whenever starting a new rpg is some variation of a

Chaotic Sexy Drow Warrior/Rogue with a craving for obsidian.
Posted By: Danielbda

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/07/19 02:55 PM

Human swashbuckler and Drow assassin.
Posted By: BlobbyBlob

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/07/19 05:05 PM

My usual, Elf Wizard.
Posted By: Nobody_Special

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/07/19 06:26 PM

I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.
Posted By: Danielbda

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/07/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

Isn't sorcerer a bit underpowered in 5e? Specially regarding archetypes?
Posted By: Nobody_Special

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/07/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

Isn't sorcerer a bit underpowered in 5e? Specially regarding archetypes?


Don't know, but a Dragonborn Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline.) I can be a half and half dragon type. Gold and Blue. Fire Breath and Lightning Breath, Plus I will get wings. grin [ I play for the Roleplay. ]
Posted By: don_quick_oats

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 29/07/19 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

Isn't sorcerer a bit underpowered in 5e? Specially regarding archetypes?


Sorcerer is a great blaster/nuker in 5e and they can be built for buff/control too. Unlike 3.5e Sorcerers are the only ones with access to metamagic, so they know fewer spells but they can cast them better, and also they can create spell slots on the fly with a special resource (which they also use to fuel metamagic), so they are much more flexible than Wizards. Wizards will eventually know more spells but they are locked into what they can prepare and can't get slots back without resting, though they have some strong subclasses too. Dragon Sorcerer is pretty strong for archetype and there were more released in Xanathar's Guide to Everything that are really powerful (Shadow Sorcery and Divine Soul, also Storm Sorcery but it's kind of meh).
Posted By: Hawke

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 31/07/19 11:58 PM

Moon Elf: Fighter or
Tiefling Rogue or
Tiefling/Yuan-Ti(pls Larian give us the most interesting evil race in DND) Warlock
Human Cleric

Sadly 5e doesn't have any interesting classes like Pathfinder's Magus or Inquisitor
Posted By: Lying Dandy

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 01/08/19 08:45 AM

Half-elf Bard, College of Lore. They'll be focused mainly on support, and being the face of the party.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 01/08/19 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hawke
Moon Elf: Fighter or
Tiefling Rogue or
Tiefling/Yuan-Ti(pls Larian give us the most interesting evil race in DND) Warlock
Human Cleric

Sadly 5e doesn't have any interesting classes like Pathfinder's Magus or Inquisitor


https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer-returns

IMHO the Artificer Battlesmith is a lot more interesting and better made then the Magus.

Also you have Bladesinger Wizards and Eldrich Knights and College of Valour Bards and College of Blades Bards and perhaps most unique of all the Hexblade Warlock for Gish builds.

Also multiclassing works better in 5e IMHO then pathfinder, so multiclass fighter/wizard works well enough to build a Arcane half caster.

For an Inquistor like Character you have Avenger Paladins, Inquisitive Rogues with Ritual Caster: Cleric feat, Celestial Pact Bladelock, a cleverly built Divine Soul Sorcerer.

Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 01/08/19 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by don_quick_oats
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

Isn't sorcerer a bit underpowered in 5e? Specially regarding archetypes?


Sorcerer is a great blaster/nuker in 5e and they can be built for buff/control too. Unlike 3.5e Sorcerers are the only ones with access to metamagic, so they know fewer spells but they can cast them better, and also they can create spell slots on the fly with a special resource (which they also use to fuel metamagic), so they are much more flexible than Wizards. Wizards will eventually know more spells but they are locked into what they can prepare and can't get slots back without resting, though they have some strong subclasses too. Dragon Sorcerer is pretty strong for archetype and there were more released in Xanathar's Guide to Everything that are really powerful (Shadow Sorcery and Divine Soul, also Storm Sorcery but it's kind of meh).


Storm Sorcerer combos really well with the spell Thunder Step. The cool thing about Sorcerer subclasses is that they feel like seperate classes with a common spellcasting mechanics. The Divine Soul is a great alternative to a cleric and people seem to view Divine Souls more as Clerics then Sorcerers in the fluff, and the Shadow Sorcerer is likely IMHO the most powerful subclass in the game.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 01/08/19 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

Isn't sorcerer a bit underpowered in 5e? Specially regarding archetypes?


No, the main complaint about sorcerers is there lower Spells known list which is 15-16 spells by level 20 depending on subclass. But between Metamagic and the ability to get an enhanced effect from casting spells in a higher spell slot it's functional more spells then it seems like.

For example a Divine Soul Sorcerer (who can chose from cleric spells as well as Sorcerer spells for spells known) can cast Cure Wounds in every single spell level, each higher slot used heals more damage, so in 3.5e terms that is like having Cure light wounds, Cure moderate wounds, Cure Sever Wounds, and more. It's the equivilant of have 9 healing spells. Then you add in Metamagic, so you can cast for example 1st level Distant Spell Cure Woubds, 2nd Level Dosint Spell Cure Wounds, ect..., as well as Twin Spell and Sublte Spell metamagic versions, as well as Empowered Healing (technically not metamagic, but works simularly). And you can do this most damage spells as well, like Guided Bolt, Chromatic Orb, Fireball, ect..., and various other spells, like Command spell targets an extra target for each higher spell level of the slot used, by using a 6th level Major Illusion becames functionally Permanent Illusion, and add in either Subtle Spell or Distant Spell metamagic makes it even more interesting.

Plus a bunch of at will cantrips that you can apply metamagic to.

If that is not enough you have subclass based magical powers, such as Shadow Magic's at will 120' bonus action teleporting, Hound of I'll Omen, and Shadow Form, the Divine Soul and Dragon Blooded's at will wings, Storm Sorcerers at will Flight, and so on.

And if THAT isn't enough you can get more spells via feats, like Ritual Caster: Wizard allows you to get the Wizards ritual spells (15 spells) in a ritual book, which you can apply metamagic too, Magic Inniate, certain Racial Feats, multiclassing, and certain races inniate magic.

Posted By: CottonWolf

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 06/08/19 04:30 PM

Probably going to go Drow Archfey warlock. But if kobolds make it in, which I doubt, kobold barbarian, purely because kobolds are such a hiliariously bad fit for barbarians.
Posted By: KenkuWizard

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 07/11/19 02:13 AM

100% an Aarakocra or Kenku. I will be inconsolable if there are no avian races available - either one is fine. I just need an avian race in a CRPG already, damnit. Kenku especially are my favourite race - if they can't make 'em playable due to the mimicry restriction, at least having one as a party member would be reasonable.

Otherwise, dragonborn and kobolds are pretty great. I just sincerely hope we aren't given only PHB races to work with. Sick to death of the Tolkien dwarves, elves, halflings, etc. at this point.
Posted By: Hawke

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 07/11/19 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by KenkuWizard
100% an Aarakocra or Kenku. I will be inconsolable if there are no avian races available - either one is fine. I just need an avian race in a CRPG already, damnit. Kenku especially are my favourite race - if they can't make 'em playable due to the mimicry restriction, at least having one as a party member would be reasonable.

Otherwise, dragonborn and kobolds are pretty great. I just sincerely hope we aren't given only PHB races to work with. Sick to death of the Tolkien dwarves, elves, halflings, etc. at this point.


Aarakocra have nearly no chance of being in the game because of their ability to fly which would break any video game. Kenku have are probably too much work for such an unimportant race that doesn't belong to the Baldurs Gate.
I would prefer to have fewer races but the choice of race should matter in dialogue instead of having 20 races that have of effect on story or dialogue.
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 07/11/19 08:16 AM

Kenku got featured in the fluff a bit more recently, but form this discussion id say, people, contain your hype. youll get disappointed.

PHB already has tons of race options (tho most of them boring, admittedly) that all need graphics support. i dont see Volos guide characters anytime soon.
Same goes for anything unearthed arcana related.
If you dont want to get burned, probablyl think about it from a framework of PHB only.
And even then, i wouldnt be holding my breath for dragonborn either...
Posted By: KenkuWizard

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 07/11/19 04:34 PM

Hopefully there'll at least be assets for kenku in-game as enemies/NPCs and Larian will release a Divinity Engine 2-esque toolset for modding BG3. I'll go ahead and make a companion myself if that's the case :')
Posted By: Hawke

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 07/11/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sordak
Kenku got featured in the fluff a bit more recently, but form this discussion id say, people, contain your hype. youll get disappointed.

PHB already has tons of race options (tho most of them boring, admittedly) that all need graphics support. i dont see Volos guide characters anytime soon.
Same goes for anything unearthed arcana related.
If you dont want to get burned, probablyl think about it from a framework of PHB only.
And even then, i wouldnt be holding my breath for dragonborn either...


Why would they leave out Dragonborn they are a PHB race and one of the more popular ones? PHB is a safe bet, in my opinion, everything beyond that is very unlikely
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 08/11/19 07:17 AM

Larian has set a good standard with OS2 where all races are very different.
but if you go with all PHB races, you end up with a lot of races.
So far Dragonborn have only been featured in Neverwinter and DDO.
in DDo they were added in retroactiveley relativeley recently, in Neverwinter they also werent in at release despite beeing a 4E game where they are a core race, they only got added with a hefty paywall.

Point is, dragonborn are a lot of work, specifically because of the heads.Far more work than making another recolour of elves.
If you look at NWN2 and the races that were added to that over the course of its expansions, youll notice a lot of recolured humans.
Its kind of the fate of DnD based CRPGs.
Obsidians games had their own world, but decided to go with recoloured humans.
I guess its a CRPG tradition for one reason or another.

Still thinking larian can pull it off, question is wehter or not they will
Posted By: Hawke

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 08/11/19 11:48 AM

Elves
Human
Half-Orc = recoloured humans can be added relatively easily
Half-Elf

Gnome
Dwarf =smaller human
Halfling

Dragonborn = human with Dragonhead (they look cheap compared to the Lizards form Divinity)
Tiefling = humans with horns and tails.

The races in DND aren't that complicated compared to something like WOW which has like 20 different race with unique bodies
Posted By: Sordak

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 08/11/19 01:59 PM

WoW als had a lot of time and a lot worse graphics
Posted By: Archaven

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/11/19 06:10 AM

I love the Kensai/Mage back then in BG2?. Really loving the Celestial Fury back then. I hope Dual Class or even Prestige Classes will be available for BG3? In terms of gearing, i think DOS2 made the right choice. Needs randomization, crafting & enhancement?

I really like a Thor build. Will that be possible in D&D? I'm kinda new in D&D. The only thing i know about D&D was very early games like Eye of Beholder. And then come Baldur's Gate.
Posted By: Hawke

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/11/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Archaven
I love the Kensai/Mage back then in BG2?. Really loving the Celestial Fury back then. I hope Dual Class or even Prestige Classes will be available for BG3? In terms of gearing, i think DOS2 made the right choice. Needs randomization, crafting & enhancement?

I really like a Thor build. Will that be possible in D&D? I'm kinda new in D&D. The only thing i know about D&D was very early games like Eye of Beholder. And then come Baldur's Gate.


There are no prestige classes in the 5th edition of D&D neither is there the Kensai class. Dual classing should be in.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/11/19 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Archaven
I love the Kensai/Mage back then in BG2?. Really loving the Celestial Fury back then. I hope Dual Class or even Prestige Classes will be available for BG3? In terms of gearing, i think DOS2 made the right choice. Needs randomization, crafting & enhancement?

I really like a Thor build. Will that be possible in D&D? I'm kinda new in D&D. The only thing i know about D&D was very early games like Eye of Beholder. And then come Baldur's Gate.


In D&D 5e Kensai is a Monk subclass and multiclassing has replaced dual classing. You can in 5e multiclass Monks, so a Kensai/Mage is possible in 5e.

And a "Thor" build is possible, Tempest Domain Cleric or for a less fightery, more mage version Storm Magic Sorcerer.

Of course this in 5e TTRPG terms, so I can't promise that BG3 will have that.
Posted By: Hamster_Baller

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 09/12/19 06:16 PM

Usually go human Wizard in a DnD game because
[Linked Image]
THEY HAVE THE POWER

but I don't know how DnD's current mechanics -let alone this game's, will roll. 3rd edition you could nuke enemies then have the team rest then repeat. 2nd edition spellcasters had a suite of tools for most situations and it was much more tactical. New/current edition? You tell me.

Will depend in part on party members. If likeable party members fill a role, no need for redundancy.

Posted By: Buttercheese

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 09/12/19 09:30 PM

Human wizard is also my default, but we'll see. Probably gonna avoid halflings, since I don't like what they did with them in 5e. THEY WEAR SHOES, GODDAMMIT!
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/12/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Buttercheese
Human wizard is also my default, but we'll see. Probably gonna avoid halflings, since I don't like what they did with them in 5e. THEY WEAR SHOES, GODDAMMIT!


What is worse they turned Halflings into bauble heads. Bobble head Halflings are the single worst art decision in D&D, history.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/12/19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hamster_Baller
Usually go human Wizard in a DnD game because
[Linked Image]
THEY HAVE THE POWER

but I don't know how DnD's current mechanics -let alone this game's, will roll. 3rd edition you could nuke enemies then have the team rest then repeat. 2nd edition spellcasters had a suite of tools for most situations and it was much more tactical. New/current edition? You tell me.

Will depend in part on party members. If likeable party members fill a role, no need for redundancy.



https://www.5esrd.com

That should be starting point to become familiar with D&D 5e.
Posted By: Consulor

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 24/12/19 10:26 AM

Hi everyone, I'd like to revive this thread so that we can share our ideas about the characters which we will make. I for one would love to play Knowledge Cleric due to the fact that the class theme really appeals to me. I hope that such subclass will be avaible to us, but taking into account that it exists in 5e Im sure it will. When it comes to races, I will probably try playing a half-elf or an elf. I havent decided yet. What about you guys?
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 24/12/19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Consulor
Hi everyone, I'd like to revive this thread so that we can share our ideas about the characters which we will make. I for one would love to play Knowledge Cleric due to the fact that the class theme really appeals to me. I hope that such subclass will be avaible to us, but taking into account that it exists in 5e Im sure it will. When it comes to races, I will probably try playing a half-elf or an elf. I havent decided yet. What about you guys?


It's hard to say until I know what classes, races, subclasses, feats, multiclassing, and subraces will be in it.
Posted By: Consulor

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 24/12/19 10:22 PM

I know, I'm just sad that the Baldur's Gate 3 forum is getting more and more quiet due to the lack of any information about the game itself. Therefore, we have to wait till they show us anything new.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/12/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Consulor
I know, I'm just sad that the Baldur's Gate 3 forum is getting more and more quiet due to the lack of any information about the game itself. Therefore, we have to wait till they show us anything new.


Yeah the silence from Larian since BG3 was announced has been bad for the build up of excitement for this game. They should not have announced it if they were going to say nothing for this long afterwards. The gamers are getting restless.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 28/12/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Archaven
I love the Kensai/Mage back then in BG2?. Really loving the Celestial Fury back then. I hope Dual Class or even Prestige Classes will be available for BG3? In terms of gearing, i think DOS2 made the right choice. Needs randomization, crafting & enhancement?

I really like a Thor build. Will that be possible in D&D? I'm kinda new in D&D. The only thing i know about D&D was very early games like Eye of Beholder. And then come Baldur's Gate.


In D&D 5e Kensai is a Monk subclass and multiclassing has replaced dual classing. You can in 5e multiclass Monks, so a Kensai/Mage is possible in 5e.

And a "Thor" build is possible, Tempest Domain Cleric or for a less fightery, more mage version Storm Magic Sorcerer.

Of course this in 5e TTRPG terms, so I can't promise that BG3 will have that.


It dawns on me that you could also go pure Kensai Monk, but dabble in Wizard by taking the Ritual Caster Feat. No combat spells, but you can then write wizard spells with the ritual tag on them in you ritual book and cast them as rituals.
Posted By: ColumbusOz

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/03/20 07:12 PM

I want to try and remake my first D&D character from way back. My high elf Bladesinger. Nothing too new or creative but holds a special place for me and I would love to bring him to life in this game
Posted By: Gmazca

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/03/20 08:19 PM

My first D&D character ever was a Drow. He was an Arch-Fey Warlock/Lore Bard. With Warlock I could Disguise Self at will, so it made for some great role play.

After that, I would probably want to recreate my Halfling Druid. He was Circle of the Land (Swamp) and only a one shot character, but I had a lot of fun with him.
Posted By: wpmaura

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/03/20 08:57 PM

Lawful good paladin to purge the githyanki and mindflayers from faerun
Posted By: Stabbey

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/03/20 10:27 PM

I want to make a Halfling or Gnome Wizard
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/03/20 11:43 PM

I´m thinking wood elf monk or high elf rogue (swashbuckler or arcane trickster) because of the extra cantrip. The mage hand in the gameplay seem fun.
Posted By: Nyanko

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/03/20 12:12 AM

I would like to try a Dragonborn Warlock with Arch-Fey patron if it's available.
Posted By: Nemus

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 01/04/20 06:56 PM

I was aiming to a Variant Human Paladin Of Crown. But not sure if they will include SCAG, since they only confirm PHB.
Posted By: SohamK90

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 08/04/20 11:50 AM

I want to try a Drow Arcane Trickster rogue.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 09/04/20 02:18 AM

Since this would be early access then I can try all that is available and then whatever else that is added to see what I most want to play when the retail release comes.
Posted By: Madscientist

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 09/04/20 11:43 AM

I wanted to have a char that is good with magic and weapons.
After some reading I decided for a hexblade warlock with pact of the blade.
You use charisma for weapons and magic, have some spells and you can curse enemies.
Its not in the PHB, so lets see if this is possible.
Race depends on how stats will be generated, half elf or variant human probably.

I know the level cap is 10, but in order to drive the role playing fans into despair I thought of a level 20 char.
Hexblade12/paladin of devotion8 tunnel fighter.
You stand there, all enemies take damage when they want to walk past you, you add necrotic damage to each attack, with divine weapon you add charisma to hit chance again, you can curse and smite enemies and you use eldritch blast against distant enemies.
I have not played 5E so far so I do not know which char is most powerful. But if nothing else I have have given some people another reason to demand the return of alignment restrictions ;-)
Posted By: Ser Varnell

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/04/20 12:54 AM

Does anyone know if Weapon Master is still a thing in 5e??
Posted By: _Vic_

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/04/20 01:03 AM

Not as a class but you have the battlemaster and their combat maneuvers and some other subclasses that gives the fighters some cool combat options.


Posted By: Ser Varnell

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/04/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by _Vic_
Not as a class but you have the battlemaster and their combat maneuvers and some other subclasses that gives the fighters some cool combat options.



Awe crap I'm hella behind... no more Ki strikes?? I'm gonna have to get out the pen and paper and actually read and write some ideas for a build..
Posted By: deathidge

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/04/20 03:54 AM

Dwarf Warpriest (war domain cleric). I've always wanted to play one but haven't been able to play PnP in a decade and a half.
Posted By: Madscientist

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 10/04/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ser Varnell
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Not as a class but you have the battlemaster and their combat maneuvers and some other subclasses that gives the fighters some cool combat options.



Awe crap I'm hella behind... no more Ki strikes?? I'm gonna have to get out the pen and paper and actually read and write some ideas for a build..


Sorry, monks are the only ones who use ki.
Its their resource to do extra attacks and some crazy stunts.
Posted By: Omegaphallic

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/04/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ser Varnell
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Not as a class but you have the battlemaster and their combat maneuvers and some other subclasses that gives the fighters some cool combat options.



Awe crap I'm hella behind... no more Ki strikes?? I'm gonna have to get out the pen and paper and actually read and write some ideas for a build..


If you don't have the 5e PHB, the 5e SRD is a good place to start.


https://www.5esrd.com
Posted By: SohamK90

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 11/04/20 08:40 PM

Drow/Half elf Warlock/Rogue Arcane Trickster during EA. Human monk in fully released version.
Posted By: Ser Varnell

Re: What races class combo do you want to try in BG3? - 12/04/20 01:12 AM

Ok, i'll take a look. Thanks for the tip. Also i meant in regards to Weapon Masters, they used to have an ability to harness their Ki and do I believe it was True DMG or something like that.
I guess thats not a thing anymore but I hope they at least revised the class instead of completely wiping it.
© 2020 Larian Studios forums