Larian Studios
Posted By: Nobody_Special Coinage in BG3. - 22/07/19 06:56 PM
A standard coin weighs about a third of an ounce, so fifty coins weigh a pound.
Do you think BG3 should have weighted coins?

[1] Would you want weightless variety of coins? (Copper, Silver, Electrum, Gold, and Platinum Coins)
[2] Or do you want weighted variety of coins? (Copper, Silver, Electrum, Gold, and Platinum Coins)
[3] Or do you just want weightless gold coins?
[4] Or do you just want weighted gold coins?
[4] Or do you have another suggestion?

Straw Poll

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Razorback Re: Coinage in BG3. - 08/03/20 04:21 AM
My bag of holding doesn't care but in my opinion if coins have weight then everything should have weight and if everything has weight then inventory hoarders will have a problem.
Posted By: Emrikol Re: Coinage in BG3. - 08/03/20 04:27 AM
I didn’t vote since I guess I am for whatever the 5e rules say. If It was up to me, though, I guess weighted variety (I am inclined for there to be consequences for actions and decisions, but I admit I have not thought about the possible repercussions of weighted coins),
Posted By: Riandor Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 09:36 AM
Yeah, I like Encumbrance mechanics, sue me cool
Posted By: vometia Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Riandor

Depends what they are, I suppose. I thought the TES "arbitrary unit of encumbrance" worked well enough except that people kept insisting it was measured in pounds, and then extrapolating that to insist that it's entirely reasonable that a typical sword weighs 30 lbs. There was no convincing them: the fact that it would be not only physically impossible to wield but would also be physically impossible to construct, and "I have some right here" that weigh 2-2½lbs meant nothing because They Knew™. It might have helped if they'd given the Arbitrary Unit of Encumbrance an actual name, such as the bastard; i.e. the aforementioned Daedric sword is 30 bastard's worth of inconvenience to lug about, not because it weighs 30 lbs but because it's covered in nasty pointy bits and tries to eat your soul.

But I digress. What doesn't work so well is giving everything a weight: I don't want coins to weigh me down, I don't even want arrows to weigh me down. And especially not if I have nowhere to keep all my groovy shit. Hmm, I guess banks may be relevant to this topic, though storage chests are perhaps a discussion for elsewhere.
Posted By: Riandor Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Riandor

Depends what they are, I suppose. I thought the TES "arbitrary unit of encumbrance" worked well enough except that people kept insisting it was measured in pounds, and then extrapolating that to insist that it's entirely reasonable that a typical sword weighs 30 lbs. There was no convincing them: the fact that it would be not only physically impossible to wield but would also be physically impossible to construct, and "I have some right here" that weigh 2-2½lbs meant nothing because They Knew™. It might have helped if they'd given the Arbitrary Unit of Encumbrance an actual name, such as the bastard; i.e. the aforementioned Daedric sword is 30 bastard's worth of inconvenience to lug about, not because it weighs 30 lbs but because it's covered in nasty pointy bits and tries to eat your soul.

But I digress. What doesn't work so well is giving everything a weight: I don't want coins to weigh me down, I don't even want arrows to weigh me down. And especially not if I have nowhere to keep all my groovy shit. Hmm, I guess banks may be relevant to this topic, though storage chests are perhaps a discussion for elsewhere.

Yeah I know what you mean... My comment was kinda tongue in cheek. I don't mind either way but the discussion regarding storage & Banks is probably a more interesting one.
Posted By: AnonySimon Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 12:21 PM
I want the variety of coins (Copper, Silver, Electrum, Gold, and Platinum Coins). If there is a banking system, I would definitely want to see the coins weighted; otherwise, I want to see them weightless.
Posted By: Wiborg Sturmfels Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 12:41 PM
Bag of Holding is something I’m really looking forward to.
Posted By: Eguzky Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 03:30 PM
Yeah. I don't mind carried gear (not worn) having a weight. But worn gear and money should not. It's always annoying to barely be able to carry 3 healing items in a game with encumbrance, unless I have a 14 STR or something.

Encumbrance means STR = Win: You can wear heavier equipment. You can carry more items back to town to sell, which means more gold to buy the more healing items/better magical gear you can carry that a Wizard or Rogue with low STR can't. Plus the hitting harder with physical attacks and hitting more often in melee (unless you take weapon finesse).
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 03:53 PM
the game uses the DnD 5E rules, that means

- How much you can carry is determined by your strengh
- Worn equipment has a weight, some items require a minimum strengh to be equipped, like plate armor.
- Money did not have a weight in any computer RPG I know.

In Pillars of Eternity you could find different kinds of coins, but when you collect them it is calculated as the standart currency.
If money had a weight, players will use an empty chest near town as bank ( So far I have not seen a game were NPC take items from your chests) and/or they buy stuff that is light and expensive (gems, rings).

If money has a weight, lots of players will complain and some will rage quit.
Imagine the following comment: " I want to buy the robe of the archmage for my wizard, but I have to walk 100 times between the bank and the shop because I cannot carry so much money at once."
This may be realistic, but it is annoying and not fun. Unless they invent the magic version of a credit card, money should not have a weight.
Posted By: AnonySimon Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 04:28 PM
Forgotten Realms, in addition to various coin types, use both Trade Bars (actually VERY common in the region of Baldur's Gate) and Paper Currency (such as Mercenary Cards, Blood Notes, and Letters of Trade) when dealing with massive amounts of wealth. These sort of alternatives are what I would expect if coinage had a weight as well as a banking system.
Posted By: LaserOstrich Re: Coinage in BG3. - 11/03/20 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by D&D beyond, Character Builder
[Linked Image]
© Larian Studios forums