Larian Studios
Posted By: Beyondstylz BG3 Toolset? - 19/02/20 08:10 PM
Hey all, I am new here ( First post ) I did a search and did not see anything in regards to this so I am asking here. Is there any way we could get a toolset included with BG3, an example would be like the Aura toolset from NWN. I know you still have tons of work to do ( I'm jealous actually it looks like its tons of fun at your office, you hiring? ) Thanks for all the hard work!
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 27/02/20 08:39 PM
So, while it would make a lot of sense considering BG3 uses the same DOS2 engine and thus tools are already here, I'm concerned about whether D&D will allow it.
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 27/02/20 09:54 PM
Good question in this thread.
I m ready to buy the game personnaly with what i see on the today gameplay vid but only if it s have a game master mode like DoS 2 ( i m absolutely fan of this mode since i ve tried it )
If it s not in BG3...

Well i think i will just wait for the next divinity title.
Hope an official answer on this smile.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 27/02/20 09:57 PM
I was hoping that LITERALLY one person asked Swen, but no.
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 27/02/20 10:00 PM
Like you said in your post before... same engine... and larian is good at that... but here Wizards of the Coast can have their words too.
Hope they will not stop larian if they re go for a GM mode... we will see ... hope hope !
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 27/02/20 10:03 PM
They allowed toolset for both NWN2 games. They didn't for BG because such a thing didn't exist.
Posted By: Nobody_Special Re: BG3 Toolset? - 27/02/20 10:43 PM
I think the DOS2 toolset game demo that Larian showed at WotC is what tipped the scale in Larian's favor as the choice to make BG3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9cPK2_qKU&t=23s
Posted By: RattyMcSquid Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 10:17 AM
If Larian releases a toolset, I will buy it. up

If Larian will host adventure/world servers, I will buy the service. up

There is no need to give away great things for free.

Grant access and tools to the community, creative and talented people have been waiting for many years for the next big adventure/world making role playing software tools. Make a game legendary. Make Larian legendary. And earn well-deserved profits at the same time.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 10:41 AM
I wish they made their toolset more user-friendly for this game. More like Aurora.
Posted By: Zonalar Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 12:18 PM
Im confident to see a GM toolset in this game. The game is already worth it for me from what I've got to see.
But if they include a GM Toolset, I can't wait to use it for creating my own little D&D adventures within!
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 12:34 PM
GM Mode and Toolset are two different things tbh.
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 01:12 PM
Yes. But to have a really good GM mod the toolset is very usefull....
In DoS2 engine ( the toolset ) i create my own maps for GM mode for exemple... without it'll be premade ones only... i love the liberty of creating my own content. Like in Pen and Papers games finally.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 01:15 PM
And as I said, I'm hoping for both. But executive producer said GM is "difficult"
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 01:18 PM
It's a "maybe" for now if i understand correctly.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 28/02/20 01:20 PM
I mean, they already have it done - just need to upgrade it.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 06:12 PM
Mod support officially still "not considered", FYI.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 07:28 PM
Well according to the gaming news media Larian sycophants, Larian is making the perfect game here, right? The greatest game ever. So why would we need modding tools?
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 09:00 PM
Well, without being so pungent, I'd argue that this is worrying, considering that they already have, in theory, mod tools and GM mode ready. And it makes no sense to include neither of them.
Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 09:01 PM
Id criticise the game more if so many people here werent busy making shit up.
Because according to certain elements on this forum, Larian are, somehow, literaly developing the second holocaust or the bubonic plague or something like that

On modding tools: Maybe WOTC wont let them.
but i doubt it, chacnes are they just dont wanna talk about it yet
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sordak
Id criticise the game more if so many people here werent busy making shit up.
Because according to certain elements on this forum, Larian are, somehow, literaly developing the second holocaust or the bubonic plague or something like that

On modding tools: Maybe WOTC wont let them.
but i doubt it, chacnes are they just dont wanna talk about it yet

I don't know who you're talking about man. And I'd appreciate if you stopped throwing your hyperboles around.
I did think that perhaps WotC didn't let them but you know, they always did, at least in games with big developers.
Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 09:15 PM
just a thought

Total War Warahmmer pretty much has that problem with GW pulling them on a tight leash.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 09:17 PM
just a thought

Total War Warahmmer pretty much has that problem with GW pulling them on a tight leash.

That's a different issue, and largely about the 3d assets - mod tools still exist.
Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 09:37 PM
could be a simmilar situation, if youre still fighting with the rights holder over WHAT can be imported and exported (youll probably have to export meshes in order to do thngs like add new hairstyles etc.) you probably wont talk about what kind of mod tolls youll have
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: BG3 Toolset? - 29/02/20 10:08 PM
Too funny I was just coming to see if there is talk about mods and gm'ing, if they were going to expand upon DOS2.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/03/20 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Too funny I was just coming to see if there is talk about mods and gm'ing, if they were going to expand upon DOS2.

the correct work would be "useful"
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/03/20 05:32 PM
https://youtu.be/jD5iycL9Kx8?t=566

What Swen said, about mod support: it's a big thing, we will leave everything open and we will see, because it's a big thing.

(I mean, it's already there so am slightly confused, but I suppose that I'm glad it's not a flat out "NO")
Posted By: Nobody_Special Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/03/20 07:46 PM
The engine has been updated to 4.0 and they might have updated the tools they are using, but at the same time not taken the time to make all the tools function together easily (user-friendly for us to use). So right now it isn't viable as their time is focused mainly on the game part, the toolset may come later.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/03/20 07:59 PM
4.0? that's quite precise.
Posted By: Nobody_Special Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/03/20 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
4.0? that's quite precise.

Sorry I meant to look up the video and posted. I forgot.

So now here it is. I hope it links right this time. @2:44

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/yZPj83H38bs?t=164[/video] This will take you to the spot on the video, the one below starts at beginning.

Posted By: wpmaura Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/03/20 10:39 PM
FYI WOTC absolutly encourages mods and your own ruleset and even allows people to sell and make money on there own rule sets.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 05/03/20 01:05 AM
After re-watching the gameplay video I'm getting really hopeful for a toolset. Interesting what was said "only 30% of the Divinity Engine is the same", so apparently this new one is much more sophisticated.

I wish some of the previous toolset shortcomings were addressed, namely the impossibility of adding custom audio. Or great difficulty in importing assets.
Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 05/03/20 09:49 AM
man i just want peresistant worlds.

I know they wont do it.
but i unironically thinkt his engine is perfect for them.
i actually think the "turn basd combat existing in a real time map" would be the best way to implement turn based combat in a multiplayer setting and id just love to see it happening
Posted By: Emrikol Re: BG3 Toolset? - 12/03/20 08:17 PM
From the Reddit AMA:

1) Will Baldur's Gate 3 be moddable? If so, is it possible for modders to add in new locations/companions in the main storyline or add in new UI?

We're focusing first on developing and finishing the main campaign, once we have some space, we can talk about that.

Will there be a Dungeon Master mode in Baldur's Gate 3, similar to the one you had for Divinity Original Sin 2? I really enjoyed it and with the Dnd rules it would have even more potential.

When we built GM mode for Original Sin, we were of course thinking of D&D and how long it had been since anyone had made such a mode. So yeah it'd make a lot of sense, but we're focusing on developing the game first at the moment...

Not very encouraging, at least for release. I really hope they don't drop the ball on this.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 13/03/20 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Emrikol
From the Reddit AMA:

1) Will Baldur's Gate 3 be moddable? If so, is it possible for modders to add in new locations/companions in the main storyline or add in new UI?

We're focusing first on developing and finishing the main campaign, once we have some space, we can talk about that.

Will there be a Dungeon Master mode in Baldur's Gate 3, similar to the one you had for Divinity Original Sin 2? I really enjoyed it and with the Dnd rules it would have even more potential.

When we built GM mode for Original Sin, we were of course thinking of D&D and how long it had been since anyone had made such a mode. So yeah it'd make a lot of sense, but we're focusing on developing the game first at the moment...

Not very encouraging, at least for release. I really hope they don't drop the ball on this.

I mean, no need to see it all doom and gloom. At least they agree.
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 13/03/20 02:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback of the AMA reddit on this particular point since i've missed the event.

I'll continue to watch over this game but with caution.
Really love what they done on DOS2 so.... i'm a little afraid to jump into BG with the same expectations and be disappointed.

But they have many months to reassure us until the final release. smile
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 13/03/20 07:52 PM
Do they?
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 13/03/20 07:53 PM
I’m a positive guy. laugh
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 13/03/20 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by The Storyteller
I’m a positive guy. laugh

Ha! Well I can respect that.
Posted By: TheInfinitySock Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 04:39 AM
Well if you lot are looking for a good toolset in a DND video game you are better off looking at NWN1 and NWN2 I mean these game are made to make your own stuff
Posted By: The Storyteller Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 09:51 AM
I've played a lot to NWN ( 1 and 2 ) in the past, but now it's a little "out-dated" ( but yeah, very good for their era ) , DoS2 was a good "recent" alternative, this is "why" i hooked up with larian games in the first time. smile
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
Well if you lot are looking for a good toolset in a DND video game you are better off looking at NWN1 and NWN2 I mean these game are made to make your own stuff

They are also old and primitive for today's standards.
Posted By: TheInfinitySock Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 10:09 AM

Yes but I don't see anybody willing to make a NWN3
Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 03:42 PM
theres literaly no game out there doing whT Aurora did
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 07:26 PM
theres literaly no game out there doing whT Aurora did

Skyrim?
Posted By: etonbears Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 07:33 PM
I would certainly like a toolset in the vein of NWN and NWN2, as well as disclosure of the data formats, in order to create additional content. Many of the games with longest-lived popularity are those with strong after-market tools. In fact, quite a lot of the work that went into Storm of Zehir was allegedly aimed at improving the capabilities of the NWN2 toolset.

I'm sure the determinant for Larian will be balancing financial cost/benefits of doing this compared with other alternatives.

Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 14/03/20 08:39 PM
Skyrim cannot do quasi MMORPG mutliplayer with active gamemasters so no
Posted By: Crowbar Cigo Re: BG3 Toolset? - 20/09/20 03:54 PM
Please give us a Toolset like the old NWN games, so we can create our own Singleplayer / CoOp Modules and the GM mode would be nice too :)
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 20/09/20 04:05 PM
All of this sounds grand, we can but hope.
Posted By: Van'tal Re: BG3 Toolset? - 20/09/20 10:36 PM

Yes but I don't see anybody willing to make a NWN3

Sword Coast Legends tried to be the 5e version but failed.

Larian has the right idea, which is to make the game work first.

After that I can see DLCs with more sub-classes and races.

The game will be mod-able, but I can see a tool set being a sell-able item after all the polish is done.

They would really rock the boat if they made a hex grid map system that could trigger module encounters (a jump from 2d to 3d). Now you could make Fantasy Grounds obsolete and host complete campaigns the size of Faerun in scope, while focusing the modules where the action is happening.

Then comes the ships pack, ect, ect.
Posted By: Sordak Re: BG3 Toolset? - 21/09/20 03:53 PM
sword coast legends , apart from not sticking to the rules, was too narrow. you couldnt realy create something compleltey wild with it.

in order to go full aurora you need to be easily moddable and able to break everything. Also you need to allow tons of people in multiplayer
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 21/09/20 08:08 PM
sword coast legends , apart from not sticking to the rules, was too narrow. you couldnt realy create something compleltey wild with it.

in order to go full aurora you need to be easily moddable and able to break everything. Also you need to allow tons of people in multiplayer

Therefore avoiding some of the most INFURIATING things done with DOS2, truly incomprehensible, namely hardcoding talents so that new one couldn't be done without workarounds.
Posted By: golw Re: BG3 Toolset? - 01/10/20 12:28 AM
There is literally nothing I want more than a Toolset, a DM client, and double digit multiplayer capability so that people can run their own miniature Massive Multiplayer Online campaigns. Even if Larian sold a toolset and a DM client as two separate products. Yeah I'll spend $150 for all three. Frankly, I'll spend more. This is not an experience that exists outside of NWN1 and NWN2. Two games that are ancient (and still have active communities), but are also in a vastly inferior version of D&D.
Posted By: sixonefive Re: BG3 Toolset? - 02/10/20 08:28 AM
Registered to the forum just to add my thumbs up to anything that will get me closer to the NWN persistent world experience. NWN was already a great game but playing new worlds (servers basically), getting to know the players, rules, class changes and whatnot, that is one of my fondest gaming memories.

The way BG3 is shaping up and Larian having already shown an appetite for a DM component (pretty important in a persistent world setting) gets my hopes up that it may eventually be possible.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 02/10/20 06:28 PM
Has any detail been shared on the future of BG3 modding?
Posted By: Nimue_de Re: BG3 Toolset? - 02/10/20 06:35 PM

Nothing concrete, no. From the updates I gather that they want to provide mod support, but not with EA. In one of the interviews (I think it was the one at Dropped Frames) Swen talked about mods, but it was clear that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for that toolset. Which makes sense, given the massive scale of the game.
Posted By: vometia Re: BG3 Toolset? - 02/10/20 10:02 PM

Only what's already out there, i.e. it will happen sometime after the full release; but it's unlikely they'll release any further information until the time is right (which isn't now!)
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 03/10/20 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by vometia

Only what's already out there, i.e. it will happen sometime after the full release; but it's unlikely they'll release any further information until the time is right (which isn't now!)

New avatar?
Posted By: vometia Re: BG3 Toolset? - 03/10/20 09:39 AM
New avatar?

Yes, I got tired of being glared at by myself. This one is still "me" but less bad-tempered-looking.
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: BG3 Toolset? - 03/10/20 11:29 AM
I remember even before NWN had instant levelling modules, I made my own with 50 gold dragons to kill, and epoc cheaty gear to kill them from level 1.

And then I just made my own items, making a full level was too much work.

The 50 gold dragons were simply on an open square field and you would just kill one at a time until you hit level 20.

Now you can just click a button and become level 20+ instead though.
Posted By: golw Re: BG3 Toolset? - 03/10/20 05:24 PM
Other than Original Sin 2 being technically and critical successful, part of the reason they were tapped to make Baldur's Gate 3 is because of the DM Mode and Toolset that Original Sin 2 uses; to my understanding at least. When you factor that into the fact that Original Sin 2's engine is being used for Baldur's Gate 3, it seems to me the more that I think about it, that a DM Mode and Toolset will be released eventually. My guess is it will come with the full launch if at all, but it's possible it could even be its own DLC. A lot of the hype for Baldur's Gate 3 is centered around making it feel like a real D&D game, and including these tools would be a critical component for that. Furthermore, D&D has never been more popular in its over 40 year lifetime than now. Further-furthermore, Larian is not known as a half-assed developer, but instead as one who really listens to what its players want within reason, and is eager to put out the best product possible, which is actually relatively rare. Most developers are interested in putting out the best product within a willing margin.

For these reasons, to reiterate, I think a DM Mode and Toolset is more likely than not (but not certain). However definitely not until at least the official release.

All of that now being said, I desperately, desperately want them to allow us to have as many people connected to a server as the server host can handle, and allow for multiple parties within said server. Many people are not familiar with what the hardcore NWN playerbase was like, but consider something like World of Warcraft the best model. There were hundreds of NWN communities with over a 1,000 members each, who had servers that were up to 55/55 players online at all hours of the day. DM's would run events and long term plotlines. The ability to create our own miniature MMO's and manage a our own worlds with clear storylines but with much less distance between players and developers than huge MMO's is something that has never existed outside of NWN1 and 2.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 04/10/20 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
I remember even before NWN had instant levelling modules, I made my own with 50 gold dragons to kill, and epoc cheaty gear to kill them from level 1.

And then I just made my own items, making a full level was too much work.

The 50 gold dragons were simply on an open square field and you would just kill one at a time until you hit level 20.

Now you can just click a button and become level 20+ instead though.

LOL yes, there's ton of amazing modules like that!
Posted By: kanisatha Re: BG3 Toolset? - 04/10/20 01:54 PM
Well, as far as I am concerned, the game will not be in a playable state for me without some critical mods. So modding tools are a must.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 04/10/20 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Well, as far as I am concerned, the game will not be in a playable state for me without some critical mods. So modding tools are a must.

Oh, bold claims. Please, elaborate.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: BG3 Toolset? - 05/10/20 03:15 PM

Not a "bold" claim at all. I, and many others right here in this forum, have pointed out the things we consider to be major flaws in the game. So nothing new or surprising. It is simply a case of some of us rejecting certain game design choices Larian has made which we consider to be wrong. For others, may be even many others, those design choices may be right. But that does not negate the feelings of those of us who consider them to be wrong.

For me, then, I could not play BG3 (as it currently stands) without mods for certain things, two that are critical and a third that would be nice to have but is not critical. The critical mods would be: (1) a mod to increase party size to six, and (2) a mod to keep alive and carry over companions not in my active party into Act 2 so that I can have spare companions in my camp throughout the game.

The third non-critical mod would be to allow me to pause the game during exploration.

Obviously as someone who strongly prefers RTwP combat and who considers TB combat to be trash, a RTwP mod would be amazingly awesome. But such a mod I am resigned to accepting as something that will never be made.
Posted By: vometia Re: BG3 Toolset? - 05/10/20 03:29 PM
Obviously as someone who strongly prefers RTwP combat and who considers TB combat to be trash, a RTwP mod would be amazingly awesome. But such a mod I am resigned to accepting as something that will never be made.

You know where that discussion is; please don't encourage it elsewhere. Thanks.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: BG3 Toolset? - 05/10/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by vometia

You know where that discussion is; please don't encourage it elsewhere. Thanks.

Oh come on. There is no such discussion in my post. Just saying that is a mod I would like, which is entirely within the context of this thread.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 05/10/20 08:08 PM

Not a "bold" claim at all. I, and many others right here in this forum, have pointed out the things we consider to be major flaws in the game. So nothing new or surprising. It is simply a case of some of us rejecting certain game design choices Larian has made which we consider to be wrong. For others, may be even many others, those design choices may be right. But that does not negate the feelings of those of us who consider them to be wrong.

For me, then, I could not play BG3 (as it currently stands) without mods for certain things, two that are critical and a third that would be nice to have but is not critical. The critical mods would be: (1) a mod to increase party size to six, and (2) a mod to keep alive and carry over companions not in my active party into Act 2 so that I can have spare companions in my camp throughout the game.

The third non-critical mod would be to allow me to pause the game during exploration.

These mods you mention seem deceptively simple, but quite complicated.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: BG3 Toolset? - 07/10/20 06:57 AM
As apparently modding is back, I hope that this time you learn from DPS2 mistakes and enable at last bgm/sfx/voice modding and easier area creation. And keep the rules even more open, leaving very little hardcoded.
© Larian Studios forums