Larian Studios
Posted By: Sestuna Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 08:13 AM
Please explain? No one is just nice to you. Everyone you meet is such a massive dick and cunt to you for no reason. Is this how everyone at Larian initiates conversations with people?
I haven't found that to be the case at all. Our party members are panicking and have big egos, but that's normal for adventurers in this world, and three of them happen to have dark backgrounds. Gale and Wyll seem to value treating others nicely and doing the "right" thing. I found most of the tieflings and several of the druids in that druid enclave to be nice and good.

I'm seeing this same post pop up a lot, and I don't really understand why -- the NPCs are definitely not entirely rude. And our party members are freaked out of their minds, along with having very strong personalities, which makes sense. What's the problem?
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 09:24 AM
'Die N'wah'
'Why won't you die?'
'Ive fought mudcraps much fiercer than you'

I once tried introducing a female friend to Morrowind back when I was at uni, and immediately she got upset by how mean people in the game were talking to her. I explained that was because she still had a low personality and reputation score and that just made her like it even less.

But the thing is games are not meant to resemble real life. Its ok for Drow, Orcs and Tieflings to be inherently evil, another great thing that is gone from RPGs now.

'My favourite race is dark elves' I once told another gamer friend. 'Oh they are evil right?' he asked, to which I explained 'ah but not always you see because they can be like Drizzt' ...

My god yes that was once a real life conversation I had. Now if you call dark elves evil IRL you probably get carted off to the gulag / gitmo.

Oh I once joined a roleplaying server in the early days of DDO, made a drow and stayed in character saying evil things and worshipping my bitch queen umberlee. I got kicked from most groups who didn't get it.
Posted By: Bubusse Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 09:47 AM
I must admit the firsts characters to join the group are mean... I can understand for Lazael and Astarion, but Gale and Shadow .. ?
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
'Die N'wah'
'Why won't you die?'

I once tried introducing a female friend to Morrowind back when I was at uni, and immediately she got upset by how mean people in the game were talking to her. I explained that was because she still had a low personality and reputation score and that just made her like it even less.

But the thing is games are not meant to resemble real life. Its ok for Drow, Orcs and Tieflings to be inherently evil, another great thing that is gone from RPGs now.

'My favourite race is dark elves' I once told another gamer friend. 'Oh they are evil right?' he asked, to which I explained 'ah but not always you see because they can be like Drizzt' ...

My god yes that was once a real life conversation I had. Now if you call dark elves evil IRL you probably get carted off to the gulag / gitmo.

Oh I once joined a roleplaying server in the early days of DDO, made a drow and stayed in character saying evil things and worshipping my bitch queen umberlee. I got kicked from most groups who didn't get it.

The thing which boggles me the most is people assuming because you would play an evil character in a game, it inherently means you are a bad person in real life. If it was the case, many novelists and screenplay writers would be in jail. People should learn to dissociate fiction from reality. They are two different things entirely.
Posted By: Llengrath Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:05 AM
As far as companion first impressions are concerned, I second this post. Larian seems to really love characters who are genuinely unlikable people only capable of communicating in blunt insults or, if you catch them in a good mood, snarky remarks.
Posted By: deserk Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:07 AM
I think the companions in of themselves are fine, though they do seem rather oriented around an evil/neutral party. I would like if we could see a wider range of companions, some that are more good-aligned and more easy-going. Having companions that are good buddies; reliable and fun is always a major plus in a great RPG. Hopefully more such characters will be added in the full release. I would love if we could get a good aligned classic dwarf or elf companion
Posted By: Daniel213 Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
I haven't found that to be the case at all. Our party members are panicking and have big egos, but that's normal for adventurers in this world, and three of them happen to have dark backgrounds [...] And our party members are freaked out of their minds, along with having very strong personalities, which makes sense. What's the problem?

The problem is that this is your opinion, just as other people have other opinions.

And I second that the characters in BG3 are mostly unlikeable. Leaders have usually charismatic appearances, otherwise they wouldn't have people following them. And arrogance and big egos is not an obligatory trait of an adventurer. There are countless examples in literature and movies that prove the contrary.
Posted By: mfr Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:20 AM
Well, I have met one NPC recently who was a definite candidate for a "Glasgow Kiss". Other than that imps and goblins are definite target practice. Party members I have recruited so far have been reasonably cooperative, depending, I think, on what you say to them. However, I will wait and see how my potential core group work out. Keeping a party working together whether they like each other or not is part of the job of a leader.
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Llengrath
As far as companion first impressions are concerned, I second this post. Larian seems to really love characters who are genuinely unlikable people only capable of communicating in blunt insults or, if you catch them in a good mood, snarky remarks.

And so what if they do?

They are based around similar characters from older games. Viconia and Edwin were my favourite characters in the original games, Viconia especially because you could actually teach her how to become good if you wanted over the course of the game.

By far my favourite character in NWN was Qara, while she had a Chaotic Neutral alignment, her personality verged more towards Neutral Evil if and when you didn't agree, trust or understand her.

On all accounts, Minsc was always my least favourite character, simply good and dumb, and Jaheira was nothing less than a whiny old hag with a temper tantrum. Aerie was a brilliantly written good character with a strong story arc, but she was very picky and needed constant nannying and appeasing to remain on good terms.

The worlds depicted in RPG fantasty games are ones that would give rise to many more evil characters thsn you get in real life - just imagine if you were actually captured by mindflayers, or constantly besieged by trolls, or approached by an actual succubus and offered to make a deal of a lifetime with the devil. You are going to be very easily tempted away from 'good' as many of the characters in these fantasy realms often are.

Games are not meant to depict real world standards of good and evil, and everytime they pander to such things as the recent removal of inherently evil races the lore and fantasy aspects suffer and diminish greatly.
Posted By: Dulany67 Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:31 AM
What I find when I see this complaint is that people are mad that the women are not nice to them.
Posted By: Daniel213 Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Dulany67
What I find when I see this complaint is that people are mad that the women are not nice to them.

If the only thing you can contribute is ad hominem, maybe you shouldn't contribute at all.
Posted By: Llengrath Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 11:32 AM
And so what if they do?

They are based around similar characters from older games. Viconia and Edwin were my favourite characters in the original games, Viconia especially because you could actually teach her how to become good if you wanted over the course of the game.

By far my favourite character in NWN was Qara, while she had a Chaotic Neutral alignment, her personality verged more towards Neutral Evil if and when you didn't agree, trust or understand her.

On all accounts, Minsc was always my least favourite character, simply good and dumb, and Jaheira was nothing less than a whiny old hag with a temper tantrum. Aerie was a brilliantly written good character with a strong story arc, but she was very picky and needed constant nannying and appeasing to remain on good terms.

The worlds depicted in RPG fantasty games are ones that would give rise to many more evil characters thsn you get in real life - just imagine if you were actually captured by mindflayers, or constantly besieged by trolls, or approached by an actual succubus and offered to make a deal of a lifetime with the devil. You are going to be very easily tempted away from 'good' as many of the characters in these fantasy realms often are.

Games are not meant to depict real world standards of good and evil, and everytime they pander to such things as the recent removal of inherently evil races the lore and fantasy aspects suffer and diminish greatly.

I mean, yeah, you're right, and I wasn't trying to say I don't want any 'evil' characters in my games. Quit the contrary. Lae'zel for example paints a nice picture of your average githyanki warrior, filling a similar narrative role as Viconia did for the drow, in a good way. Shadowheart is a priestess of Shar, and Astarion is a vampire-spawn. All of them are solid characters, and their personalities are justified.

But two things bother me here, and as a precaution let me just say this all boils down to personal preference.

First, the characters in BG3 are snarky and arrogant. Again. It annoyed me to death in Divinity, it annoys me all the same in BG3. Special shout out to Astarion, who's personality is like the writers at Larian merged Red Prince and Sebille to make the most punchable face in the Forgotten realms. In the meantime, I found every single evil companion in Pathfinder: Kingmaker genuinely likeable and fun to travel with. Hell, even Edwin and Viconia were fun to have around due to their comical arguments with everybody else. Don't see much of that in BG3 yet, but we'll see in time.

Second, the aforementioned three are the first companion characters you get to interact with, and all of them are very clearly on the evil side of the alignment spectrum. It's like the game is subtly pushing you to play evil, or at least neutral. It's not what I personally enjoy doing in rpgs, at least not on a first playthrough anyway, and all I want is more options.

Also, I strongly agree with your last point. Alignment is an important part of the lore, and I'm not happy about it slowly getting erased.
Posted By: Hunam Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 11:45 AM
One of my biggest issues with the game right now is how hostile literally every person you meet is. I get the idea of realism, but it doesn't make it a welcoming experience.
Posted By: Martij7au Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Llengrath
And so what if they do?

I mean, yeah, you're right, and I wasn't trying to say I don't want any 'evil' characters in my games. Quit the contrary. Lae'zel for example paints a nice picture of your average githyanki warrior, filling a similar narrative role as Viconia did for the drow, in a good way. Shadowheart is a priestess of Shar, and Astarion is a vampire-spawn. All of them are solid characters, and their personalities are justified.

But two things bother me here, and as a precaution let me just say this all boils down to personal preference.

First, the characters in BG3 are snarky and arrogant. Again. It annoyed me to death in Divinity, it annoys me all the same in BG3. Special shout out to Astarion, who's personality is like the writers at Larian merged Red Prince and Sebille to make the most punchable face in the Forgotten realms. In the meantime, I found every single evil companion in Pathfinder: Kingmaker genuinely likeable and fun to travel with. Hell, even Edwin and Viconia were fun to have around due to their comical arguments with everybody else. Don't see much of that in BG3 yet, but we'll see in time.

Second, the aforementioned three are the first companion characters you get to interact with, and all of them are very clearly on the evil side of the alignment spectrum. It's like the game is subtly pushing you to play evil, or at least neutral. It's not what I personally enjoy doing in rpgs, at least not on a first playthrough anyway, and all I want is more options.

Also, I strongly agree with your last point. Alignment is an important part of the lore, and I'm not happy about it slowly getting erased.

I hear they put mostly evil companions in the game at first to get more people to playtest the evil route, since many people play good when given that as a choice. Don't know if that's been confirmed, but might explain why only evil(ish) companions are available at the beginning of EA.
Posted By: Oinkus Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 12:07 PM
Companions aren't exactly fun at the start and that is as far as I have gotten. Whole idea of Game=Fun seems to be lost ? I keep running through the first 2 areas trying different classes but it is completely linear without much room for any sort of leeway to take a left and go off Larians plotted course. Everything in the Universe being hostile is not my idea of a good game of D&D. Removal of Alignment and changing the basic ruleset seemingly randomly makes for some weirdness. Feels a lot like DoS 2 and that is NOT good in my opinion.
Hey guys, Wyll is not a bad guy - he's cocky - but he's 'good alignment'. So is Gale.

Is the upset really over not yet seeing a paragon of virtue in our party? How about we wait until paladins are released then? Before complaining about the five characters we meet at the beginning of the game?

I hope you're not the same people who were complaining the game wouldn't be dark or grim enough. The world is grim, and these personalities reflect it - they are tough, defensive, egoic. Aside from perhaps paladins, light clerics, and the very rare other class, it makes sense to see that personality in the adventurers, or the people who fight through the most difficult challenges, in this grim world. And again, NPCs are not all like that at all -- most of the tieflings in the druid enclave are good, simple, innocent non-adventurers. And several of the druids are pure and good-aligned.

Is this really a complaint that we don't have an unblemished heart or defender of innocence in our first act party? Does that not seem a bit ridiculously particular to you? This game is amazing, and it's sad to see people complaining to Larian over something so myopic.

And I'd bet my only remaining Drow eye we'll meet white knights and friendly knaves later on, fear not gentle children.
Posted By: Nimue_de Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Martij7au

I hear they put mostly evil companions in the game at first to get more people to playtest the evil route, since many people play good when given that as a choice. Don't know if that's been confirmed, but might explain why only evil(ish) companions are available at the beginning of EA.

Yes, Swen said as much in one of the interviews.

Regardless, I can understand part of the OP's complaints. I get that githyanki think they are the best thing that ever happened to the world in general, and everyone else isn't fit to shine their boots, but sheesh, did they go over the top with Lae'zel. I have absolutely no incentive to drag her around and listen to her diatribes (I know, she promised we'd go find a cure, but I absolutely don't trust her to deliver).

Likewise, Astarion's mannerisms remind me of Frank'N'Further from the Rocky Horror show, which prevents me from taking him the least bit seriously. This is mostly a voice acting issue, not so much a writing one, but I still hope the writers will tone down those personalities a bit. In DOS2 Ifan got a complete makeover between EA and the final release (he was a whiny, drug-addled washout in the first iteration), so it may just happen.
Posted By: azarhal Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bubusse
I must admit the firsts characters to join the group are mean... I can understand for Lazael and Astarion, but Gale and Shadow .. ?

Gale and Shadowheart haven't been mean to me, but then I get +approval with them the most and I tried to save Shadowheart in the intro. Shadowheart is also a racist (she at least doesn't like Githyanki) which might affect how she react to the PC. I'm playing an half-elf so I wouldn't know how much it impact.
Posted By: vometia Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Nimue_de
Likewise, Astarion's mannerisms remind me of Frank'N'Further from the Rocky Horror show, which prevents me from taking him the least bit seriously. This is mostly a voice acting issue, not so much a writing one, but I still hope the writers will tone down those personalities a bit.

I quite like him! He reminds me of the male elves from Oblivion, who drove a lot of players nuts because the dunmer in particular weren't the suspicious, gravel-voiced hard-arses from Morrowind but quite the opposite.

In DOS2 Ifan got a complete makeover between EA and the final release (he was a whiny, drug-addled washout in the first iteration), so it may just happen.

That was quite the transformation. The Mk II version was IMHO a big improvement on the grungy drudanae-obsessed emo he was originally; that's not to say that character didn't have some potential, but I guess that wasn't a direction that was working for them.
Posted By: Nimue_de Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by vometia
Likewise, Astarion's mannerisms remind me of Frank'N'Further from the Rocky Horror show, which prevents me from taking him the least bit seriously. This is mostly a voice acting issue, not so much a writing one, but I still hope the writers will tone down those personalities a bit.

I quite like him! He reminds me of the male elves from Oblivion, who drove a lot of players nuts because the dunmer in particular weren't the suspicious, gravel-voiced hard-arses from Morrowind but quite the opposite.

Oh, I don't mean that as a vampire he should somehow sound "more evil", just that his way of talking strikes me as not quite natural, for lack of a better term. It's hard to put a finger on it, it just doesn't click for me. On the other hand, it's early days yet and he wouldn't be the first characer to grow on me once I get to know him better, so we'll see.
Posted By: Dingor Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 01:28 PM
'Die N'wah'
'Why won't you die?'

Playing as drow in BG3: everyone friendly to you, no one fears you, "evil" characters respect you. I feel like a princess! I want them to fear me, to hate me, but no... for everyone I meet I just beautiful little fairy! And what's more I hate is my characters reactions on events: snake kills a child? My mighty drow's face looks like a puppy about to cry. Not laughing or at least keeps calm. And there are so many "good" options in dialogs. Ahhh... it's hard to be evil this days.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 01:29 PM
I'm going to just copy/paste the same response every time I see this take.

I really think that the companions come across as dicks because, well, they're under a lot of stress with this worm crawling around in their heads.
There's a sense of urgency and immediacy that's putting all of them on edge. Not everyone deals with stress that well, especially not when facing what's essentially a death sentence.
I think that once you really stop to consider the urgency of the situation and can sympathize with them that they'll seem less like edgelords, and more like people who got sucked up by a giant space squid, violated, and had a time-bomb strapped inside of their skulls and are just trying to cope with it.

This is a matter of perception and expectation. If you're a person who is generally upbeat and cheery, and you've never personally been in a high-stakes, immensely stressful or life-threatening situation, you're likely to view all of the companions as varying degrees of asshole. If you've got some grit and have been through hell in your life, it's more likely that you'll fully understand where they're coming from and realize how well and realistic the companions are reacting to the situation.
Posted By: Wrathbone Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

I really think that the companions come across as dicks because, well, they're under a lot of stress with this worm crawling around in their heads.
There's a sense of urgency and immediacy that's putting all of them on edge. Not everyone deals with stress that well, especially not when facing what's essentially a death sentence.
I think that once you really stop to consider the urgency of the situation and can sympathize with them that they'll seem less like edgelords, and more like people who got sucked up by a giant space squid, violated, and had a time-bomb strapped inside of their skulls and are just trying to cope with it.

This is a matter of perception and expectation. If you're a person who is generally upbeat and cheery, and you've never personally been in a high-stakes, immensely stressful or life-threatening situation, you're likely to view all of the companions as varying degrees of asshole. If you've got some grit and have been through hell in your life, it's more likely that you'll fully understand where they're coming from and realize how well and realistic the companions are reacting to the situation.

As someone who has found the companions in BG3 excessively abrasive, that's a great take on it. The only counterpoint I'd make is that if you're going to have companions who act harshly because they've (literally) gone through hell, it's vital that they also show vulnerability. That's the difference between a difficult character who you can empathise with and a character who comes across as unflinchingly nasty.

I've started to see some of that vulnerability in my companions after a few hours, so time will tell how that pans out. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.
Posted By: Philbe2020 Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 01:43 PM
How pleasant would you be if you were abducted by Mind Flayers, had a parasite put into your eye, and had to fight for your life? It's been a rough start for everyone.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathbone
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

As someone who has found the companions in BG3 excessively abrasive, that's a great take on it. The only counterpoint I'd make is that if you're going to have companions who act harshly because they've (literally) gone through hell, it's vital that they also show vulnerability. That's the difference between a difficult character who you can empathise with and a character who comes across as unflinchingly nasty.

I've started to see some of that vulnerability in my companions after a few hours, so time will tell how that pans out. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm willing to bet that they'll loosen up further into the game.
Early on, they're putting faith in complete strangers and hoping to survive.
I'm not sure how anyone could expect people in this situation to be flowery and light-hearted.
Posted By: Ti2sun Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 02:01 PM
Your companions are a vampire spawn who finally achieved his freedom after 100 years only to realize that he might be turning into another monster, a priestess of an EVIL goddess who wants to blanket the world in eternal darkness, a man who sold his soul to a devil so he could play hero, a mage who seeks out ancient artefacts to absorb their magic so he can stave off some curse, and a gythyanki warrior who is being enslaved by her races ancient enemy and has to work with those she deems beneth her.

Also, Larian studios also stated that this was going to be an "evil" game.......not everything can be sunshine and rainbows.
Posted By: Argyle Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Oinkus
Companions aren't exactly fun at the start and that is as far as I have gotten. Whole idea of Game=Fun seems to be lost ? I keep running through the first 2 areas trying different classes but it is completely linear without much room for any sort of leeway to take a left and go off Larians plotted course. Everything in the Universe being hostile is not my idea of a good game of D&D. Removal of Alignment and changing the basic ruleset seemingly randomly makes for some weirdness. Feels a lot like DoS 2 and that is NOT good in my opinion.

I agree, Game=Fun is the most important thing for me!

I am not really much of a gamer, so please take my information with a large grain of salt. BG was actually a gift I received a long time ago, and the only other computer game I had ever played at that point was Lords of Magic, which was also a gift. I played BG many times through and loved it, especially once I discovered EE Keeper. I went through a period when I dabbled with Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Diabolo, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, & Icewind Dale, but I never finished those games. I managed to barely finish NWN and Dragon Age because I liked the BioWare people and I was a NWN beta tester, but I was basically on autopilot by the endings of those games. I just stopped playing after that. I did recently pick up the Beamdog BG Dragonspear expansion, but that turned into another autopilot situation.

So here comes BG III finally, and I expect to see lots of constructive criticism in the forums and reviews because people have a lot of love for the BG legacy. I am hoping the bottom line will be that the game is overall fun to play. I look forward to the full release!
Posted By: Midnight_Q Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 02:11 PM
They just got abducted and had a lethal Illithid larva implanted in their brains. Then they got attacked by demons and dragons. Then the octopus ship they were in crashed and burned. They are stuck in an unknown area with nothing but potentially hostile strangers and are about to cease to exist.

I think being a little short is warranted until you earn their trust and respect.
Posted By: vometia Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Argyle

That is outrageous. Gaming is serious business, I'll have you know. I shall ban anybody who continues to suggest that they want something as frivolous as so-called... "fun". I am shocked and outraged; "back in my day", etc.

evil
Posted By: Nimue_de Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 02:16 PM

That is outrageous. Gaming is serious business, I'll have you know. I shall ban anybody who continues to suggest that they want something as frivolous as so-called... "fun". I am shocked and outraged; "back in my day", etc.

evil

...and now get off my lawn!
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ti2sun
Your companions are a vampire spawn who finally achieved his freedom after 100 years only to realize that he might be turning into another monster, a priestess of an EVIL goddess who wants to blanket the world in eternal darkness, a man who sold his soul to a devil so he could play hero, a mage who seeks out ancient artefacts to absorb their magic so he can stave off some curse, and a gythyanki warrior who is being enslaved by her races ancient enemy and has to work with those she deems beneth her.

Also, Larian studios also stated that this was going to be an "evil" game.......not everything can be sunshine and rainbows.

Actually, Larian just said that they included the evil companions first and that they will add the good companions later. Sunshine and rainbows are on their way.

Shadowheart is great fun! Just listen to her and watch her eyebrows. Her smouldering glances are amazing!
Posted By: Sestuna Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 03:52 PM

shadowheart seems totally not flushed out at all.
Evil/dark cleric
gets mad at me when i do the bad thing in a choice in conversation but laezel approves..... what? isnt shadowheart supposed to be evil cleric?? why is she only for doing the "good" option then??
Posted By: Ti2sun Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 03:56 PM
I think people are confusing this game with a homebrew that their friend made during the summer and they got to do whatever they wanted. This is a module with a predetermined story and adventure path and not your homebrew. Do you know how many DnD games have died because players refused to go on the story their DM planned for?
Posted By: Sestuna Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dulany67

OP literally wrote that everyone is a dick n cunt. youre projecting, the male characters are just as obnoxious and rude
Posted By: Ti2sun Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Sestuna

shadowheart seems totally not flushed out at all.
Evil/dark cleric
gets mad at me when i do the bad thing in a choice in conversation but laezel approves..... what? isnt shadowheart supposed to be evil cleric?? why is she only for doing the "good" option then??

Look up the goddess she worships and you'll understand a bit more about her.
Posted By: Sestuna Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:02 PM

couldnt agree more
hell its even got the "stereotypical good guild is evil in our game" trope
in dos2 it was the paladin order, in bg3 its druid enclave.....dos2 was a good game but it wasnt dnd
Posted By: Imryll Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:15 PM
I've actually found myself liking the evil/neutral NPCs much more than I expected. Perhaps it's the dialogue choices my character is making?

The character I've enjoyed least is Astarion, but perhaps he is just the character with the strongest defences--who occasionally sounds an awful lot like the Red Prince, which is, for me, a distraction.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:19 PM
Astarion sounds more like a sassy Liquid Snake to me. I dig it. πŸ˜‚
Posted By: porrage Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:19 PM
I was literally going to make a post about this. I am so sick of the perpetually pissed off NPCs that always have to have the last word/be super clever and snarky.
Posted By: Lanetolsun Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:21 PM

couldnt agree more
in dos2 it was the paladin order, in bg3 its druid enclave.....dos2 was a good game but it wasnt dnd

Hello,

I am still at the beginning but when a flying mind flayer ship crashes and strange races and people with tadpoles in their minds appear, everyone tend to be more aggressive. A Gith in FR for example! That's way abnormal. Fisherman behaviour ( ifailed to convince them) was very real imo. Tieflings are friendly - they suffer the same probably, druids are acting in their own agenda and its ok. I did not see much deviation from Forgotten realms.

Well about the druids, if you steal some books and look where you shouldn't you will find out that there is a logic behind it. It has actual bg roots. Haven't finished the quest yet but i get it.
Every game uses lots of tropes anyway, Its how they are presented, connected, narrated is what matters in the end for me. If you want to see sterotypes you will find it everywhere.
they are linked to shadow druids, also a shadow druid name from BGI is mentioned
Posted By: Argyle Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:24 PM

evil

[quickly steps off Nimue_de's green lawn ...]

Ha, it is indeed serious business for the developers and I appreciate the hard work they do ... I hope they have fun at least once in a while. Meanwhile, I shall remain lost in the mists of the unknowing.
Posted By: LoneSky Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 04:58 PM
Hey, why be upset? Just give them what they deserve. They bite, you can bite as well. I could hit back every time so far. The writing is very good.
Would be worse if they were "nice", but plotting behind my back. Just use them as meatshields and be grateful you don't have to fight alone.

Shadowheart, the Cleric girl may have an evil hidden agenda against Baldur's Gate, but so far heals my party and takes hits just like everyone else. She can be taken care later, so far is useful. She doesn't like me, but I don't expect that from any of them until I proven myself. Neutral is just fine.

Gale, the Wizard is just full of himself but kind of polite and funny as well. He has the best looks, and he knows that. But it's so terrible in fights. The freezing spell is good, but almost useless otherwise. It's always at lowest health and already died once. Nobody cared anyway.

The elf rogue is a trash being, but I need him alive, would be too good for him a quick death. So I'm just playing along for now, his time will come. And that will be fun.

That green fighter is okay. Weird of course, but I really don't care about his talking. Typical aliens. He can take 2-3 hits, and that's enough for my Ranger to kill 1-2, and that's all what matters.

We may cry when the time for saying goodbye comes, but so far no emo stuff in here. I wouldn't mind a friendly face as well, if can also fight properly, because these can't be trusted. Watch out during sleep and keep your weapons ready.
Posted By: Imryll Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I was speaking more literally. The way he says certain words and phrases has me wondering if Astarion and the Red Prince share a voice actor. That's the distraction. smile
Posted By: citrum Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 05:18 PM
What about auntie Ethel? She's super nice!
Seriously though I disagree. The only one who's acted like a bitch towards my character was Shadowheart and I've got a feeling that was an act, as if she's trying to look more badass than she is.
Posted By: Torque Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 05:40 PM
Well, Larian did get critique (unjustly so) for their whacky tone in D:OS. Which is one of D:OS strong suit in my opinion.
Posted By: Gray Ghost Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 05:45 PM
Honestly I think the companions are all pretty reasonably characterized. Lae'zel does feel rough and hostile but that seems to be the Githyanki's thing, even then she's still my favourite character so far. Shadowheart seems guarded and disinclined to trust you or be open, but she generally holds her tongue and doesn't seem overtly hostile to my character for the most part. Gale seems chill and reasonable. Wyll is a lot of fun.
i am playing the game, so far I meet some companions and some immigrants in a sanctuary afraid of the goblins outside and the fact that they are going to get kicked out by the druids that guard the sanctuary. Giving the situation everybody is in, I think they treat nice the protagonist and the harshness you may find is mainly due the stressful situation they are in. I also love the Githyanki character.
Posted By: Midnight_Q Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Imryll
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I was speaking more literally. The way he says certain words and phrases has me wondering if Astarion and the Red Prince share a voice actor. That's the distraction. smile

He sounds a lot like Alkibiades from Assassin's Creed Odyssey as well.
The main thing that pissed me off is I didn't have an option to draw my weapon and fight Astarion after he literally had a knife at my neck, YET that's an option for Gale who just teleported? Which I would understand since I'm playing a wizard myself. Astarion seems like bad fan-fic. Like i really wanted an option to just straight up kill him there because of his actions, yet it's not there. Fuck whoever wrote that piece of dialogue and the options you get.
Posted By: NineCoronas Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 06:46 PM
My general thoughts on the characters:

1) I hope that the ability to influence some of these character's personalities manifest's itself in the later Acts, at least if you've the Charisma and Persuade to support it.
2) The current one's suffer from special snowflake syndrome, though that isn't inherently bad in itself if they are mingled with a wider cast, it becomes a problem if they are *all* this way. It can feel like they're trying to steal the show from the PC. I think part of this might be because they're intended as origin characters, but still... since I believe Larian has said more characters will be implemented I'm hoping this gets drowned out.
3) Shadowheart should have her AC problem fixed.
4) I don't mind that they lean into edgelordism, but to echo point 2, this'll be a problem if the later additions turn out to be the same.

Originally Posted by porrage
I was literally going to make a post about this. I am so sick of the perpetually pissed off NPCs that always have to have the last word/be super clever and snarky.

This.
Posted By: Grantig Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 07:11 PM
Yeah, The priest girl in my group annoys me to hell, but I need to keep her, you know, she's the priest...
Also the githsomewhat is quite annoying.
The mage guy is the one to approve my decisions the most, however it's the on not in group because I already am a spellcaster.
I kinda like the vampire guy.

Interesting how the girls in the group are the most bitchy.
Posted By: _Vic_ Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 07:12 PM
I do not know if itΒ΄s because my character is female but Asterion is being very suave with her since the beginning. o.O
Gale seems approachable when you actually talk to him in the camp. The others not so much.

In the streaming interview Swen already told us that those will be the companions in the evil spectrum, and encourages us to try to be bad. I assume that meant the other companions would be different than this ones.
Maybe you have a rocky start so you can see for yourself that something changed later in the game when you have more approval? I hope to see changes in the future.

Posted By: Lindon Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 07:14 PM
I didn't realize this, but apparently Larian put out a community update where they purposely started the EA with all the asshole character to encourage an evil playthrough? Apparently they didn't have enough people playtest the evil choices for the DOS2 EA and want to get more feedback this time. That at least is a sensible explanation.

I plan on killing them all and playing as a good guy though, so joke's on them!
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Honestly I think the companions are all pretty reasonably characterized. Lae'zel does feel rough and hostile but that seems to be the Githyanki's thing, even then she's still my favourite character so far. Shadowheart seems guarded and disinclined to trust you or be open, but she generally holds her tongue and doesn't seem overtly hostile to my character for the most part. Gale seems chill and reasonable. Wyll is a lot of fun.

I would love to have Wyl in my party but he perished in the first fight he was in and I was unable to revivify him. I thought it was literally will of the dice so I stuck with it. Otherwise Lae'zel has been my favorite as well, she is harsh but if you lean into it in the game there are some amazing moments with her.
Wyll is also a pretty good guy. Not seeing anyone talk about him - are people not playing with him? Havent gotten to the end yet though, so not sure if he radically changes.

Shadowheart is a priestess of Shar, she makes sense... and she is also a little more multidimensional than just 'evil, kill, steal' all the time. She can also have some conflicting thoughts/motivations - like real people. Even real priestesses of Shar.

Lae'zel makes total sense.

Astarion is totally depressed at his core due to..
*light spoilers*.....
.... being a slave.

I think these characters are actually really well-portrayed. I love how Gale
thinks it's a good idea to listen to Raphael because he thinks the cambion is desperate.
That's a pretty well-fleshed out character.

I hope we'll see even more evil characters - so far our early dark companions are more self-oriented, but Id like to see an evil necromancer or sorcerer or blackguard or something >=)
Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
Wyll is also a pretty good guy. Not seeing anyone talk about him - are people not playing with him?

No, he died in the gate fight. Turn 2 and he got shocked with no hope for revival. He just got zerked and it was the end of Wyll 2 hours into the adventure LOL
Lol
Posted By: Randomness Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 07:48 PM
I would not say that "everyone is a c*nt" but they do feel like a "special snowflakes", like someone already pointed out. All of them feel this way to some degree, which makes me not care about any of them. DOS2 had more varied personality and better personalities in general, as well as more attractive visual character design for each character. It's a shame that this game is turning out to be different, and not only in terms of character writing.

Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
The main thing that pissed me off is I didn't have an option to draw my weapon and fight Astarion after he literally had a knife at my neck, YET that's an option for Gale who just teleported? Which I would understand since I'm playing a wizard myself. Astarion seems like bad fan-fic. Like i really wanted an option to just straight up kill him there because of his actions, yet it's not there. Fuck whoever wrote that piece of dialogue and the options you get.

Yea, it is pretty unnatural that you don't actually have a choice of fighting him considering he's a random nobody who is trying to kill you the very first time you meet him.
Posted By: Kimo Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 08:31 PM
Lazael: Reminds me of a military commander. Being ex military I don't see this as mean, I see it as used to people following her commands without asking why.

Astarion: don't know I told him to hit the road due to his introduction and he responded with "What? So that's it? I got a tadpole in my brain and going to die and I get no help?" My response "Go find a healer" and then I left. I don't like vampires and I let him know it.

Gale: Never had issues, heck he liked it when I brought him back from dead.

Shadow: Xenophobic towards Lazael, but warms up to me.

couldnt agree more

BG 2 had the whole Good Guild is bad thing as well though, with the Shadow Thieves at the begining of the game.

With the argument that everything is hostile in this game. I am extremely confused but in my playthrough I have been able to go through much of it without random battles. I have only had a few situations that I rolled poorly on and it became a blood bath. That could be because I am playing a relatively evil character though.

The removal of alignment as whole isn't my favorite, but when writing the characters they really try and keep there alignments visable through what they approve/disapprove of and how they act. Someone like Lae' zel is clearly lawful evil, Astarion is Neutral Evil, Shadowheart is more along a Lawful Neutral. I expect we'll see them change throughout the course of the story, and there will be more that will be added as well. I find the game reflects modern D&D very well.
Posted By: IrenicusBG3 Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 09:13 PM
Loved all characters besides Gale. Has an interesting arc, but his dialogue sounds stupid. I was expecting a smarter wizard, but he is probably the dumbest of the characters.

All others are superb and have their own mind as you would expect. The manerisms in the cutscenes are very stereotypical and hopefully will improve to give them more personality.

I would appreciate if they made Astarion a little more evil. The jokes about blood sucking don't land well.

Posted By: Gaidax Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 10:44 PM
Yeah, I must agree with OP somewhat. Seems like most of companions you pick up are coming up as strong negative. What's even more silly is how every one of them gets steamy with you after like several nights at camp... what's the point of the edge then?

I'd really love if they would add another companion, who's just a simple Neutral Good bloke that cheers people to work together, because it both makes sense (as other stuck up peacocks begrudgingly realize) and he/she is not hiding some yet another massive dark secret.

Reminds me of The Noob Comic – Adventures in Clichequest, where in one chapter in the starting experience there was a signpost stating "Dark Knights go to floor -2" or some such. Feels like that precisely - every companion you pick up is a "dark knight", I mean, come on - can we have a companion who gets his baggage as we go, instead of coming with yet another huge tragic secret? That would be a first and refreshing too for Larian, tbh.

Heck, that bard dude, Volo, would make a great companion - he just wants a big story and it probably will be more interesting as you go on and try to grant him that instead of tending to yet another addict, vampire, cultist, fraud or just a plain maniac that only wants stab things.
Posted By: LegionAF Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 11:04 PM
To add on, something that made the companions from BG1 and BG2 iconic was their easily identifiable traits. These characters are Edwin (extreme narcissist who constantly talks under his breath), Minsc (a ranger with childish concepts of good and evil who travels with a miniature giant space hamster), Tiax (comic relief whose entire character is defined by his delusions), Jan (bizarre gnome inventor that acts like a snakeoil salesman), Ajantis (Overenthusiastic #1 Helm fanboy "By Helm! Yeah! Helm, give me strength! Yeah!"), Viconia (exiled drow coming to terms with culture shock), etc.

It's good to make three dimensional characters, but easily-identified defining traits can help make memorable characters.
Posted By: WarChiefZeke Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 08/10/20 11:22 PM
There does seem to be a serious dearth of good characters. The companions are fine, I suppose, but maybe one more with a less abrasive personality would be nice. Gale is a total bro on the other hand and comes off as easy to talk to.
Posted By: Zress Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 01:11 AM
I agree with this post 100%. But it's a problem I have with the DOS games as well, every one talk with this snobbish english accents. Even goblins. There are no characters with different accents from different parts of the world or a different walk of life. Everyone feel like snobbish nobles in a tea party. Make you miss the old BG characters and town folks frown
Posted By: vometia Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by Zress
I agree with this post 100%. But it's a problem I have with the DOS games as well, every one talk with this snobbish english accents. Even goblins. There are no characters with different accents from different parts of the world or a different walk of life. Everyone feel like snobbish nobles in a tea party. Make you miss the old BG characters and town folks frown

The accents don't sound particularly snobbish; just English. Larian is a Belgian developer so English studios tend to be the most convenient for the English-language game: I don't think it's any more complicated than that. As an Englishwoman myself, it makes a nice change for a game to not be full of American accents...
Posted By: Newtinmpls Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 03:25 AM
Please explain? No one is just nice to you. Everyone you meet is such a massive dick and cunt to you for no reason. Is this how everyone at Larian initiates conversations with people?

I had to burst out laughing looking at this as the first question. I and my sweetie have been playing (very slowly... we are cautious by nature) for the past two days, and met three NPCs, all of whom are intensely dis-likable.

Gith-sweetie was okay...Shadowheart is abrasive and those two are the most likable. Astarion is Jude Law with negative charisma, and Gale is ... well he is in love with himself with an effusive and annoying vocabulary.

Yes, I know that "not having everyone be "likelable" is sometimes seen as edgy and cool (look at the interviews with the actor that played Apollo on the recent - err not so recent - Battlestar Galactica reboot). But its not enjoyable to interact with characters who are abrasive first and as the major portion of their personalities.
Posted By: crabsmack Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 03:59 AM
Lae'zel is the only one that's over the top so far. I want to like her, but to keep her happy you have to act like a lunatic and piss everyone off; both your other companions and the NPCs. It's hard to justify keeping her unless your character shares her world view exactly and likes being bossed around. Astarion is far more affably evil and Shadowheart is closer to a pragmatist than anything.
Posted By: Iamblitzwing Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 04:45 AM
-deleted-

Posted By: Sestuna Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by Comander Tuvius
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

I would love to have Wyl in my party but he perished in the first fight he was in and I was unable to revivify him. I thought it was literally will of the dice so I stuck with it. Otherwise Lae'zel has been my favorite as well, she is harsh but if you lean into it in the game there are some amazing moments with her.

this. laezel though agressive is great and i loved the githyanki agression in a new world vibes
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 06:16 AM
Gale is the nicest character I've met, Shadowheart is a massive bitch though. Astarion isn't so bad, I wish they would rework Shadowheart's dialogue so she is less of a bitch to us. I've yet to meet Wyll, I haven't figured out a way to recruit him yet XD.
Shadowheart can be bitchy, yes, but she's a priestess of Shar... seems appropriate. There are definitely times, though, when she's pretty sensitive and even friendly.
Posted By: BrianDavion Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 08:14 AM
Shadowheart is a sweetheart when you compare her to the OTHER sharrian preistress in the Baulder's gate franchise.
Posted By: Gaidax Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 09/10/20 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
Shadowheart is a sweetheart when you compare her to the OTHER sharrian preistress in the Baulder's gate franchise.

Yeah.

Well at least she's not trying to slit my throat the first time we meet and then top it off by turning me into a snack. Why she's almost a good guy there in that band of lunatics we gather.

It's like sheesh... I'm not sure how my character can even rest at that camp, being surrounded by all these psychos with their tadpoles being the least of their problems. Can we get some Neutral Good bloke as a companion, please? An island of sanity in that sea of madness to soothe our souls?

Heck, the only good boi Gale is a
walking nuclear bomb that sucks up your loot into his black hole and can go off any moment.
I guess Wyll is also somewhat on the level, aside from signing his own praises, before we surely end up revealing he is devil incarnate or some such.
Posted By: Oinkus Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 10/10/20 02:29 PM
Having attempted to build my own game in the early 70s and discovering Tunnels and Trolls and the Original D&D ruleset ended that process quickly. I have played just about every BG title to completion and run 1000s of D&D games including a persistent world in NWN I have a little experience in all of this. I REALLY want this game to be as good as it can possibly be. There is no way to please everyone and nothing is easy about making useful NPCs with a good story. Remember this is a video game not PnP tabletop play and it is very hard to translate those things into something enjoyable. We should all be applauding Larians effort at such a difficult task and do our best to give them useful info to improve the game as playtesters. Thank you very much Larian Studios !
Posted By: Kingslayer Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 10/10/20 03:13 PM
Honestly, this makes a lot more sense. There's a weak kind of writing in a lot of RPGs where everyone absolutely loves you as soon as they meet you - the only exception being bad guys, but they only dislike you because you're on opposite sides. Everyone else, with maybe the odd exception, is vying to be the president of your fan club. A common complaint about the "MUs" or "My Units" in the Fire Emblem series is that everyone falls in love with you, everyone looks up to you and follows your advice unquestioningly. It's like the game is trying to make you into a Mary Sue. So anyway, I think people not really trusting you, and mainly looking out for themselves, but hopefully coming to trust you over time, is much more fulfiling as it more closely mirrors how actual interaction works. People might be polite when you first meet them in real life, but it's not like they'd trust you with their kids or a load of their money until they get to know you more. You might start a new job and be amongst friendly new co-workers, but if you all had weird head maggots, how many of them would put you before themselves?
Posted By: Athann Re: Why is EVERYONE you speak to a c*nt - 10/10/20 03:49 PM
'Die N'wah'
'Why won't you die?'

You are pointing out a problem i find in some video games, i know this going to hurt the feelings of some (and some will agree with me because they are the minority in a country either they be white, black, asian, hispanic, indian etc...), they are bringing some of our worlds views and concept, like racism in a fantasy setting, but it is unnerving when the player have to undergo the racism in question (myself i can sympathise with the Tiefling, even if i am not one ) it is not a pleasant emotion, but i can get through this, and what i like is when the racism in question is punished in the game it is better, i find it weird and non logical to promote a bad behaviour, it is like if the game in question is apologizing racism. (I didn't say it is the case in Baldur's gate 3)

But i know some players want to be the f***** up character they want to be and they cannot be in real life, so better be in fantasy than in life, no ?
© Larian Studios forums