Larian Studios
Posted By: Vennumz Please tell me cantrips get more powerful... - 12/10/20 06:20 PM
So as I'm rising in level I'm seeing the enemies hit harder and have more health...while I'm getting slightly more health and doing the same amount of damage as I did at lv 1.
Do they plan on making us use spell slots every fight? My firebolt at lv 1 does the same amount of damage as it does at does at lv 4...1D6.

While this got me by lv 3 and below...this is not going to cut it. While I hit with a damage of 3 on average, Maybe get lucky and burn them for 2 additional damage. They hit me for like 12 or 16 damage. Is it intended to use spells for every fight?
Abuse short and long rests until it gets sorted out.
Yes, cantrip damage scales up, increasing at levels 5, 11, and 17.
The intent is to wear down spellcasters as much as possible between boss fights, but this is currently broken since you can take a long rest without any conseqeunce. Cantrips do get stronger as you level, but I believe that starts at level 5.
Cantrips usually get powered up at 5th level, so I'd expect to see the same here.
The cantrips damage dice increase by one at certain levels, the first increas being at level 5, so not in the EA so far.
Its a balancing issue, so you can't plow through every encounter. You have to choose between doing higher damage or saving your resources, or spamming long rests after every encounter. ^^
In DnD 5e progression, Cantrips become stronger on level 5, 11 and 17. But Cantrips in the system are meant as a "basic" attack for casters to use when they can't or don't want to use spells. So yes, the expectation is that in most fights you'll have to use a spell or two.

Putting all that aside though, Larian changed the cantrips in such a way that most of them are just as potent as the average hit from the more martial classes. So in the current state of the game, you should be fine skipping a long rest or two.
Gotcha. Well If I have to abuse long rests for single level. I guess I can deal with it. I'm glad they get better though eventually...hate to be lv 8 or something and still having that same crap damage lol. I don't' know much about D&D at all. So this was very informative and gives me hope.
Wizards (and other spell casters) have an exponential power curve pretty much. at 1st level they're one of the weaker classes, by 20th level "THEY HAVE BECOME DEATH! DESTROYER OF WORLDS!" and are the most powerful class in D&D
Originally Posted by Vennumz
So as I'm rising in level I'm seeing the enemies hit harder and have more health...while I'm getting slightly more health and doing the same amount of damage as I did at lv 1.
Do they plan on making us use spell slots every fight? My firebolt at lv 1 does the same amount of damage as it does at does at lv 4...1D6.

While this got me by lv 3 and below...this is not going to cut it. While I hit with a damage of 3 on average, Maybe get lucky and burn them for 2 additional damage. They hit me for like 12 or 16 damage. Is it intended to use spells for every fight?

They do, but at much higher levels
© Larian Studios forums