Larian Studios
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 14/10/20 05:49 PM
Has anyone seen any until now? The underdark should definitely account for both of them, with a specific monster.
So, confirmed that while Multiattack IS in the game (barely), those two aren't?
I have no idea which monster you're talking about. The only thing I can think of is maybe you're mistaking a spectator for a beholder - they are definitely not the same thing.
Beholderkin but still, there should be at least mechanisms for it. Multi attack is there, which is a step in the right direction
I'm pretty sure they'll give us lair actions for appropriately epic encounters
But what about Legendary ones, or legendary resistances? It maybe depends on how complex the script language is?
Posted By: Tuco Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 03/11/20 11:31 PM
Isn't a bunch of content tailored for a low level party a bit too soon to bring up these mechanics?
Assuming they will be in the game at all, I mean.
Pretty sure Hags get lair actions, and it's the only creature we fought so far that might have one. As said previously the Spectator isn't a Beholder, and you're not supposed to be able to fight the dragon yet (which isn't in it's lair anyway).
Posted By: Dexai Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 04/11/20 12:41 PM
I think that in a computer game lair actions would translate better as features of the lair area rather than actions of the creature, anyway.

Legendary resistances will be convoluted to code because it has to weigh the necessity of resisting something and not just use it at the first given chance. A GM knows not to waste a legendary resistance on pinpricks and they'd have to code it to make sure that the AI understands this too.
Posted By: luciant Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 04/11/20 12:50 PM
the fight with the owlbear has one i think (at one point in combat the cavern shakes -- camera angle is all weird when it happens)
Posted By: Dexai Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 04/11/20 12:55 PM
I think that's just the Owlbear activating an "Owlbear rage" power.
Originally Posted by Tuco
Isn't a bunch of content tailored for a low level party a bit too soon to bring up these mechanics?

The campaign difficulty level is kinda mixed up - lvl1 chars shouldn't be able to survive tadpoles, let alone escape from hell!
Posted By: azarhal Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 04/11/20 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
The campaign difficulty level is kinda mixed up - lvl1 chars shouldn't be able to survive tadpoles, let alone escape from hell!

Tadpoles works the same regardless of your level and these are special.

As for escaping from hell, I died in the intro twice. First time, the Cambion Commander killed the Mindflayer super quick and one-shot Lae'zel and then me on his next turn. The second time, the Cambion Commander get killed by the Mindflyer who then decide to kill me while I was dealing with the imps.

My biggest success has been to use dash every turn and use the transponder as fast as possible...and not fight anything.
Originally Posted by azarhal

Tadpoles works the same regardless of your level and these are special.

As for escaping from hell, I died in the intro twice. First time, the Cambion Commander killed the Mindflayer super quick and one-shot Lae'zel and then me on his next turn. The second time, the Cambion Commander get killed by the Mindflyer who then decide to kill me while I was dealing with the imps.

My biggest success has been to use dash every turn and use the transponder as fast as possible...and not fight anything.

Seriously? Which difficulty?

At any rate my point is that normally campaigns belong in a sleepy town, not a high-level character environment like Hell
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 05/11/20 09:57 AM
I am not familiar with lair actions but would the creation of small spiders by the matriarch be counted as a lair action?

How about the waking of drows by the spectator?
the latter no, maybe the first.
Originally Posted by asdf11784
I have no idea which monster you're talking about. The only thing I can think of is maybe you're mistaking a spectator for a beholder - they are definitely not the same thing.

However, they have, and I quote:
Spell Reflection. If the spectator makes a successful saving throw against a spell, or a spell attack misses it, the spectator can choose another creature (including the spellcaster) it can see within 30 feet of it. The spell targets the chosen creature instead of the spectator. If the spell forced a saving throw, the chosen creature makes its own save. If the spell was an attack, the attack roll is rerolled against the chosen creature.

Have you seen the spectator display it?

I mean, we don't so much "escape Hell" as we follow the nice Mind Flayer's instructions while he and his army of thralls fight off the armies of Hell for us. All we do is pull a squid-lever.

And even then we would've died if not for our mysterious benefactor.

In other words the DM tailored the encounter to ensure we'd survive. This is incredibly common for 1st level adventures because 1st level characters are like wet paper bags.
So, confirmed that the spectator doesn't the reaction "spell reflection".

Stop making sense.

Except that there is a very powerful 3rd party involved or are we skipping that?
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

Stop making sense.

Except that there is a very powerful 3rd party involved or are we skipping that?

which doesn't manifest until the tadpole abilities, and even then they really aren't that game-changing, they don't suddenly make a lvl1 character powerful as a level 10 one
Posted By: Dinvan Re: Legendary and Lair actions for monsters? - 17/11/20 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

Yeah, because that is a complete lack of player agency. "You didnt stay alive, I kep you alive, mwahahahahahah"

Sound SUPER fun.............
© Larian Studios forums