Larian Studios
Posted By: TheAscendent Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:03 PM
So which of the five available companions/origins would you like to play?
For me, Wyll and Gale are most interesting as a playable origin, and either one would complement my ideal party of Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion.
Gale makes for an excellent evocation wizard, his own story and even his name highlight is affinity for elemental magic.
Wyll would make an excellent Pact of the Blade Warlock and his quest for redemption is intriguing.
Posted By: BrianDavion Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:12 PM
I might try them all but TBH I'm more intreasted in playing MY character, not Larian's character
Posted By: Sechrima Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:14 PM
Yeah, I will do a playthrough for each one, out of curiosity. But mostly I'll be playing my own custom characters, again and again. I prefer to roleplay my own characters with unique backstories that I come up with myself.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:15 PM
I would play any of them, but probably Shadowheart first. (Hopefully I can fix her stats.)
Posted By: Vile Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:17 PM
In all honesty none of them, not out of spite, but more so because I prefer playing custom characters in any game that gives me the option to do so.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:19 PM
I’ll probably play none of them. Their full personal story is available to you if you take them as a companion.

Replaying a 100+ hour game just to replay a quest line I’ve already played through just so that it is now MY story as opposed to one of my companion’s stories seems a bit pointless to me, tbh.
Posted By: xMardeRx Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:20 PM
Non as they are boring. I again dont want to be shoehorned and this is not a action shooter looter diablo like pseudo rpg. This a DnD setting real role playing game and I want to experience it my way not what some writer that cant think out of the box and forces this way, his story upon every one. No clapping no praise for bad writing no admiration. Stick to books, as games and more importantly role playing is not a skill set that person has.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
Non as they are boring. I again dont want to be shoehorned and this is not a action shooter looter diablo like pseudo rpg. This a DnD setting real role playing game and I want to experience it my way not what some writer that cant think out of the box and forces this way, his story upon every one. No clapping no praise for bad writing no admiration. Stick to books, as games and more importantly role playing is not a skill set that person has.

I didn't know we had such an esteemed writing critic among us. To what do we owe this honor?
Posted By: xMardeRx Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

I didn't know we had such an esteemed writing critic among us. To what do we owe this honor?

Triggered much? Must hit hard and home to get a reaction.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:27 PM
[quote=Firesnakearies]

Oh yes. I'm afroth with rage.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:29 PM
The Ignore option on these forums need to work more as a functional block.

Anyhow, Wyll is the most interesting to me. He's somehow both pragmatic yet sentimental, and I want all of the details about what appears to be a succubus guiding his hand.
Posted By: Odda Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:34 PM
I doubt I'll play any of them much...if there's some sort of intro story for each then I'd play that, but I prefer to RP my own character.
Seems I'm not alone in this...perhaps there's an opportunity here for Larian to publish a collection of short stories featuring the characters, ending up on the day the flying squid attacked Baldur's Gate?

(In fairness, if there was a dwarf amongst the selection, I'd be a bit more inclined to play that, but there isn't.)
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
[quote=Firesnakearies]

Oh yes. I'm afroth with rage.

Who who whoa, simmer down. No need to just fly off the handle like that. 😂
Posted By: DirgeNovak Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 10:55 PM
I prefered playing origin characters in Dvinity 2, but I will stick to my own characters in BG3, I have no interest in playing as the companions.
Posted By: Newtinmpls Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
I might try them all but TBH I'm more intreasted in playing MY character, not Larian's character

Agreed!

I nod cheerfully at the idea of an "origin character" and then proceed to sort out my own. Can't stand "pre-mades" in general.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:02 PM
I'll eventually play the Origins but I hope it's months and months before they become available -- Larian need to do lots of heavy lifting to make my custom character the equal of any of the origins.

How does my custom wizard compare to Gale and his backstory? Answer, she doesn't Gale has the better story and this needs to be fixed. My background should count more and the 5th edition role playing mechanics need to be included. Bond, flaw, etc.
Posted By: Nicottia Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:04 PM
Honestly, just to troll Larian I'd go full lawful good on Astarion, uber goody-two-shoe. 0 tadpole, saving all the peasants and what not. Basically, everything he disapproves of as a companion. devil devil devil

And if Larian let's us edit their classes... well... vampire paladin here we goooooo. laugh

Well, obviously I'd rather Larian focus on the story of our custom characters and ditch the idea of 'origin stories' (it really doesn't belong in a D&D game honestly, might just as well let us play the adventures of Drizzt if that's the case). But what can you do, hence I am really gonna experiment once we get access to origins in EA with what I wrote about Astarion. I hope that'll teach 'em. wink
Posted By: Rhovaniel Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:11 PM
I honestly can't imagine playing as any of the current options. They are all pretty awful. I can tolerate having them in my party if we are working toward a common goal, but actually being one of them, no way!

When they introduce some new characters I might change my mind.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:13 PM
none of them, I'd much rather they focused on a custom character and kept the "origin" characters as companions only.
Posted By: Libertine Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:31 PM
I will create my own character and use the origin characters as minions.
Posted By: TheAscendent Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:31 PM
Hopefully, Larian will allow us to respec our companions at some stage so we can get the most out of them. I know Larian said that the custom PC's will be just as involved as the Origins, but I will believe it when I see it.
Posted By: Arideya Re: Which Origin will you play? - 14/10/20 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by DirgeNovak
I prefered playing origin characters in Dvinity 2, but I will stick to my own characters in BG3, I have no interest in playing as the companions.

Same, I loved playing origin characters in DOS2, but here its just a different case. I mean we have so many races and classes and appearances to choose from, why would I want to play someone pre-set. I do like all companions, but this is D&D, let me play my own special snowflake.
Posted By: Darth Rauko Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 12:23 AM
None, I will create my own character and if possible, the full party.
Posted By: Relampago Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 01:07 AM
I will mainly play custom mades but when they open up origins it will either be Wyll or Gale.
Posted By: Divine Star Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 11:52 AM
None to be honest. I didn't even play the origin stories in DOS2. I want to play my character and be able to see their stories unravel as we travel - objectively. I hope more gets added to flesh out character interaction and party chemistry.
Posted By: Hawke Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 11:54 AM
Defintly Lae'zel I might even play her before I try a custom character.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 12:00 PM
As a large part of the fun I have in playing RPGs is creating characters, I will make my own. None of the premades hold much interest for me.

ETA: I'd happily play Nettie as a character, however. Especially if I can bring along my spiked naughty stick.
Posted By: chocamocha Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 12:53 PM
None. It's just that an important part of the fun for me, is creating my own character and I think the origins already make interesting companions.
Posted By: Zress Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 01:04 PM
Wyll is the only one I really like, he really got this hero spirit BG is all about, and I would love to play his origin. Also, I have this speculation that he is related to Valygar Corthala from BG2, and if I am right it be so amazing. The rest are cringy, edgy and mostly unfriendly to the point that I am not even sure why they hang with my character if they are so awesome and amazing on their own. And Gale with his Elministar backstory reap-off.
Posted By: Tiuva Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by chocamocha
None. It's just that an important part of the fun for me, is creating my own character and I think the origins already make interesting companions.

Exactly this. One of the most enjoyable aspects of rpg's for me is roleplaying a character I myself have created. Playing with a character that has been predetermined takes away a large portion of the enjoyment for me since it's not... well... me.

I also vastly prefer getting to know other ingame characters that way: as a stranger that others may open up to over time once we get better acquainted. Meaning I have no need to experience characters' 'stories' by playing them myself... I respect other people enjoying it, but for me, it takes away part of the magic. smile
Posted By: kanisatha Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 02:38 PM
I am also very strongly in the NONE group. Playing a pre-made character, especially in a D&D game, is borderline heresy. Making and playing my own character is a HUGE part of my fun playing a game like this.
Posted By: Abits Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I am also very strongly in the NONE group. Playing a pre-made character, especially in a D&D game, is borderline heresy. Making and playing my own character is a HUGE part of my fun playing a game like this.

same. I do wish they would dump this stupid idea but what can you do.
Posted By: Bossk_Hogg Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Abits

You don't have to use it, so not sure why it bothers you. I mean, Baldurs Gate 1 only had one character story available - CHARNAME who is the child of Bhaal. This one has 5 + el generico. It seems you can change some of the class/stats of the pre-mades.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

You don't have to use it, so not sure why it bothers you. I mean, Baldurs Gate 1 only had one character story available - CHARNAME who is the child of Bhaal. This one has 5 + el generico. It seems you can change some of the class/stats of the pre-mades.

that is exactly the issue, you nailed it in your own description "el generico" isn't what anyone wants, they want the story for the main character to be at least on par with the "origin" characters (who are companions if you don't play one of them, allowing you to experience their stories as an outsider anyway).

to be clear, i don't know that people want "the chosen one" but they do want their custom character to have an interesting story based on the choices made during character creation, I think Larian has maybe said that will be the case here (unlike D:OS2 where a custom character is lacking quite badly compared to origin ones).
Posted By: TheAscendent Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 06:50 PM
I will probably have my first custom a human sorcerer. I want to see how they implement the Bloodlines, hopefully like Kingmaker where you can select your origin (colour matters for Dragon descended Sorcerers). I want to see if I pick a Red Dragon Sorcerer and if Lae'zel will have any interesting ideas.
Posted By: arion Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 06:57 PM
none, origin system is bad for rpg
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 07:05 PM
I said none, but a playthrough as Minsc actually might be fun. I’ll think about that.

Oooh, you will be able to start the game with multiple characters. Maybe I’ll start with Minsc and play him as the hero, but create a custom character to be my stand in whom will act as his consistently exasperated side-kick. That way I can have the best of both worlds.
Posted By: Imryll Re: Which Origin will you play? - 15/10/20 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by blindhamster

that is exactly the issue, you nailed it in your own description "el generico" isn't what anyone wants, they want the story for the main character to be at least on par with the "origin" characters (who are companions if you don't play one of them, allowing you to experience their stories as an outsider anyway).

to be clear, i don't know that people want "the chosen one" but they do want their custom character to have an interesting story based on the choices made during character creation, I think Larian has maybe said that will be the case here (unlike D:OS2 where a custom character is lacking quite badly compared to origin ones).

I don't feel that way at all. My characters live well enough based on what's in my head and their actions in-game. As soon as Larian starts to provide an "interesting story" for them, even one based on player choices during character creation, it's less my character and more Larian's character. If I wanted that I'd play an origin character.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 05:53 AM
None most likely, I prefer to make my own, premades are always going to have some kind of story arc where I am screaming "you bloody idiot" at the screen for an immersion breaking decision they made in the past.
If premades were the only options then Gale or Astarion because I usually play mage or rogue types. Possibly Shadowheart because I find Shar interesting.
Posted By: CamKitty Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
So which of the five available companions/origins would you like to play?
For me, Wyll and Gale are most interesting as a playable origin, and either one would complement my ideal party of Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion.
Gale makes for an excellent evocation wizard, his own story and even his name highlight is affinity for elemental magic.
Wyll would make an excellent Pact of the Blade Warlock and his quest for redemption is intriguing.

Playing their garbage edgelord characters. HAHA. that's a good one.

Game can not come out with a completely customizable party fast enough. I'll play without characters not actively trying to harm the party thanks. I can role play a lawful evil jerk in my party just fine without having a party memeber that attacks people at night, or eats magical items, etc
Posted By: Mister Foxhound Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 07:11 AM
I vastly prefer playing my own character but I might do a run with Wyll and/or Shadowheart cause they'll have a better character arc befitting their class.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 07:22 AM
Probably Gale or Wyll, at first.
Posted By: Fungo Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 08:39 AM
None of them. I prefer making my own, unless they make one with the same awesomeness as fem shep.
Posted By: Bossk_Hogg Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by blindhamster

So the issue is the companions ALSO have the tadpole AND a backstory? Do you just want them to be Blandy McBlanderson, small town fighter who wants to save up to buy a spear to fight large rats?

Also, name a game that has meaningful interesting story choices based on what you did in character creation. In general, its a few dialogue choices here and there, because branching story arcs require an absurd amount of work.

Posted By: Kendaric Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 04:19 PM
Quite frankly, none of them. I'll create my own character(s), even though I'll miss out on certain parts of the story.
Posted By: Skarpharald Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 05:57 PM
None. They are not my character. I didn't make them. They role play themselves fine.
Posted By: nation Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 06:21 PM
i also will probly not pc an origin character, but i think it would be neat to be able to take some aspects of an origin character to include in our own pc creation without having to play that origin/race/class/stat combo - like have your pc take the vampire spawn features - i dont see that as feasible or happening, but it would be nice to use some of the resources larian devoted to the origin characters for our own pc.

somewhat related, but i also dont think that its a good idea to have players be able to totally adjust the features of an origin character if selected for pc character creation. i wouldnt be opposed to it, and normally i am pro more player choice/agency the better, but it seems to be in contrast of the whole origin character concept if players can just override the base character features how they want, bc at that point are they really even playing the origin character that larian envisioned? (rhetorical - and if not, then what is the point of origin characters being pc options?) i could get behind having some limited, but world consistent changes players could implement for origin characters as pcs - like wyl could be a lvl one ranger, maybe rogue (or other applicable class, but idk how monk would look with wyl for example) and still fit in the 'blade of the frontiers' and the warlock patron would become more a roleplay item than class mechanics at that point? - but that likely would be a large undertaking in development. i also think that as a pc if you pick up an origin character in world at lvl one - from that point on you should be free to level/multi class that origin character as you want, but to totally revamp an origin character during pc character creation to account for a players preferences just sounds like you are not really playing an origin character - you are just making your own pc.
Posted By: Arideya Re: Which Origin will you play? - 16/10/20 09:23 PM

So the issue is the companions ALSO have the tadpole AND a backstory? Do you just want them to be Blandy McBlanderson, small town fighter who wants to save up to buy a spear to fight large rats?

Also, name a game that has meaningful interesting story choices based on what you did in character creation. In general, its a few dialogue choices here and there, because branching story arcs require an absurd amount of work.

I don't even have an issue with the companions and their backstories.
I guess for me the way the story is structured right now makes it feel that the companions overshadow your player character. My personal preference would be if the story circled more around your character, and everyone else is an add-on that completes that story. Granted it doesn't have to be a hero's journey. Not every protagonist needs to be a larger than life Commander Shepard or Revan, they can be an Exile or the Spirit Eater, or even Hawke who is basically a boring human in the wrong place at the wrong time, and fail at every damn thing, but the story would still be and feel theirs.

Both you and companions have tadpoles, all of you have the same powers, all of you are special (which is fine), but the companions are now way more special than the generic PC.

I don't know what's the right way to do it, whether its making them less special or your PC more, or even going in another direction. Heck maybe if they didnt have tadpoles and you did, then it would already be different. I.e. you'd be saddled with something similar to a spirit eater curse.

Or maybe Larian has something else in store for us and we are just complaining for nothing.

Posted By: PrivateRaccoon Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 08:09 AM

Hmm, that depends on what you consider meaningful, a couple a of changed or added dialogue options is often interesting enough imo. dragon age origins and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines are two games that comes to mind. Sacred 2 and Dungeon siege 3's classes has different starting area's and different personal goals that coincide with the main story etc. But mostly why I play custom created chars besides min-maxing is because I can make up the story behind that character myself. Sure, the in game narrative might not reflect that story but that doesn't bother me smile
Posted By: pinklily Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 09:33 AM
I will likely only ever play my own characters. I have a bit of interest in what Astarion's storyline would be like through his point of view but I have a feeling I'd just have more fun finding out with him as an NPC. That said, I agree that I hope the custom character will get the chance to be as interesting as the origin characters. Larian said they're making that a priority so I'm hoping it comes through.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 09:36 AM
Generally speaking I'm not particularly interested in playing an "origin story".
Which doesn't mean I won't, at some point.
It's just something I don't particularly care about and I didn't perceive as particularly more valuable than experiencing that story having that character as a companion in DOS 2.
Posted By: Charod Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 11:27 PM
not interested in origin characters...will be playing with customer characters
Posted By: Abits Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 11:29 PM
I played Astarion's origin for 30 minutes and I already regret it. another case of "Larian's Idea of 'cool game gimmic' undermine its game's story", specifically spoiing the companion. I think the only way origin characters can work is to not to play them in the first playthrough
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 11:47 PM
I played Astarion's origin for 30 minutes and I already regret it. another case of "Larian's Idea of 'cool game gimmic' undermine its game's story", specifically spoiing the companion. I think the only way origin characters can work is to not to play them in the first playthrough

Can you be more specific? I’m not planning on playing Astarion, but I’m curious nonetheless.
Posted By: Kavonde Re: Which Origin will you play? - 17/10/20 11:53 PM
Of the five, I think Wyll is the most interesting, though the poor guy needs Hexblade warlocks to be added.

But I'm in the "I would roll my eyes a bit if everyone at a table showed up with one of these special snowflake edgelord characters" camp in regards to everyone else.
Posted By: Abits Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Can you be more specific? I’m not planning on playing Astarion, but I’m curious nonetheless.

It is kind of a big spoiler (at least it was for me, maybe it was shown somewhere and I just missed it) so read at your own risk:
when you first go to the camp you get a vision of your master and he recites the rules Astarion has to follow. I don't remember all of them, but the important ones: not to feed on intelligent creatures, not to leave the master, and, that he is the property of the master. after the vision, you can feed on shadowheart but it seems like it always fails for some reason. well we are not supposed to have access to it yet so I can't complain about that.
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 12:50 AM
I'll be playing all of them smile
Posted By: Xarico Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 08:20 AM
Astarion. Normally I would prefer to play a custom character, but he is very close to what my ideal BG3 protagonist would be if I could personally request one.
Posted By: pinklily Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 08:44 AM

It is kind of a big spoiler (at least it was for me, maybe it was shown somewhere and I just missed it) so read at your own risk:
when you first go to the camp you get a vision of your master and he recites the rules Astarion has to follow. I don't remember all of them, but the important ones: not to feed on intelligent creatures, not to leave the master, and, that he is the property of the master. after the vision, you can feed on shadowheart but it seems like it always fails for some reason. well we are not supposed to have access to it yet so I can't complain about that.

How were you able to play a bit as him? I thought the origin characters weren't available yet for EA?
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 09:28 AM
Maaaybe Shadowheart... or one of the future companions. Eventually. Maybe none. I don't hate the idea of origin characters, but I prefer customs and have a long list of planned characters. Another issue is that I'm very, very (nit)picky and a small thing can make me dislike a character/be a dealbreaker for playing as it.
Posted By: Raflamir Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 09:37 AM
None. To me they're like, "Hi, my name is X and here is my gimmick! Want to learn more?" Nah but you can tag along until I can make more people.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 09:37 AM
So far, Wyll has the most appealing origin story for me.

I really look forward to meet this Mizora half cambion and see why the drow are so much interested in her.

Shadowheart would come second.

I would like to know why she stole the githyanki artifact and for what purpose.

Posted By: Eluvian Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 09:59 AM
Single player: My own main character is the obvious choice for me.

Multiplayer: Astarion. He's an elf, he's a rogue and he has a lot of sass. Very similar to my MC and in multiplayer it means you're not missing out on a companions quests as most people I'd play with would be rolling custom characters.....which would be really boring if we all have the exact same story.
Posted By: Abits Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by pinklily

How were you able to play a bit as him? I thought the origin characters weren't available yet for EA?

There is a mod that unlocks all the origin characters option. links could be found both in this forum (search the mods thread) and in the Nexus mods site
Posted By: Kamzor Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 12:19 PM
Hope there will be far more origin characters because right now, I don't really like any
Posted By: Ixal Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kamzor
Hope there will be farm more origin characters because right now, I don't really like any

As every origin character will also be a companion there won't be many more and all of them will be special snowflakes.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 01:22 PM
I won't play any origin character.
Posted By: Kamzor Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ixal
Hope there will be farm more origin characters because right now, I don't really like any

As every origin character will also be a companion there won't be many more and all of them will be special snowflakes.

We should get at last 1 per class per alignment or at last the oportunity to make our own party or something like that
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 06:20 PM
None of them, it will be a custom Rogue.

I usually play a character loosely based on the Corwin main character in the Amber series. Fighter class in D&D might be closer, but Corwin wasn't really a heavy tank. A Rogue in light armor with a rapier feels better.

Astarion would be the closest Origin character to that template, but I don't want to be locked into his scripted story line from what I can see of it so far. I did play the Ifan Origin character in DoS2, but his quest and story was a minimal intrusion on role-playing in that game. It looks like the companion issues are written with a heavier hand here in BG3.
Posted By: Empress_Kuno Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 06:47 PM
If the tutorial is unique for origin characters, I'll probably play through it with each one at least once. Apart from that, I'm not interested in playing origin characters; I'd much rather play my own custom character.
Posted By: Iszaryn Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 09:25 PM
I won't be playing any of the Origins, I'll make my own character and play
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ixal

We should get at last 1 per class per alignment or at last the oportunity to make our own party or something like that

Origin character =/= companion.

There is nothing that prevents non origin companions that can be recruited later.
Posted By: biomag Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 10:11 PM
I don't see the point of playing someone else character in a D&D-type game. Maybe for a one-shot, but not for a full game. Even less when it puts me in the shoes of a companion.

Chances are far higher I make additional playthroughs with a custom party than playing an origin. These origins are far too fleshed out. Its like playing Triss or Zoltan in the Witcher - its neither your story nor do your have the freedom to really make it your own, since your background and big moments are already laid out.

I actually have an issue with origin characters being included. They require a lot of effort to be added to the game, from making starting points work, to custom storylines that have to work from the player as well as NPC perspective. This effort could have gone into proper origins for a player character that are not shared with with companions that you have around you in every playthrough, thus giving more replayability value.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by biomag
I don't see the point of playing someone else character in a D&D-type game. Maybe for a one-shot, but not for a full game. Even less when it puts me in the shoes of a companion.

Chances are far higher I make additional playthroughs with a custom party than playing an origin. These origins are far too fleshed out. Its like playing Triss or Zoltan in the Witcher - its neither your story nor do your have the freedom to really make it your own, since your background and big moments are already laid out.

I haven’t played the Witcher games, so forgive me my ignorance, but wouldn’t it also be like playing Geralt, too?
Posted By: IdPreferNotTo Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 10:39 PM
I'll probably try the custom drow warlock(or some other class) I used for the EA, since I prefer to see how the origin characters would develop on their own(apart from the usual heavyhanded PC influence via choices), and since I like playing characters that are considered evil regardless what they do. Of the current origin characters Astarion (taking gruesome vengeance towards everyone around him by not living up to the expectations people have about vampire spawns), would maybe closest to what I'd go for, but he seems tad too feral as a companion to fit this playstyle.
Posted By: biomag Re: Which Origin will you play? - 18/10/20 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by biomag

I haven’t played the Witcher games, so forgive me my ignorance, but wouldn’t it also be like playing Geralt, too?

To me the difference is, like playing Commander Shepard, the game is focused on this character. Actually the whole story of the Witcher franchise as far as I understand it (didn't read the books) is based on him, And I wasn't a fan of it. This was the main reason why I didn't play any game from the series until I was bored and decided to get Witcher 1 & 2 - and again I didn't like it in the beginning because I was playing someone else character, who I had no connection to. But the Witcher is bringing the stories around Geralt to life and he is the hero of those games so there is only his perspective to see them. As much as I dislike playing a predefined character it was the execution of the game and story that made me care about it. Even when you play Ciri in the third installment its just for short parts telling her story, its not taking away from Geralt, but enchanced the experience. Still even though I enjoyed making all the big and small decisions in that game for me it will always be Geralt and not my character.. Still it has a very different feeling than going to BG1 and suddenly play as Imoen the whole game or Minsc or Jaheira.

Looking back at Shepard in Mass Effect he did have a background, but it wasn't anywhere as big that starting the game you had a feeling you missed out on key elements of his past, so you experience his/her story right from the moment that it becomes interesting. Same can be said of Dragon Age 2 or Inquisition.

Dragon Age Origins had 6 origin stories - but they don't run together, even if cannonically they all happen just only your character survives. And again you are there making every character defining decision yourself, not an author who puts you on a railroad for the key moments for your character development.

But the biggest issue for me is that you are simply playing your companions in DOS2 and now BG3. So not only are you using some else's character without any real reason to it, but your are also spoiling the companion's background for yourself.

© Larian Studios forums