Larian Studios
Posted By: Hawke SPOILERS The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:03 PM
I looked through the game files and found the missing companions!

Companions/Origins

Minsc Ranger: the only returning companion from the Bhallspawn Saga
Helia: The Werewolf
Karlach: already in the game but haven't found her class

[img]https://imgur.com/GrFYAee[/img]

That makes 8 compaions in total, I doubt they will add more than those.
Posted By: Dinvan Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:07 PM
Were wolves, space hamsters and vampires, OH MY!
Posted By: Zress Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:16 PM
I really hope Karlach is not a companion. I think she has the dialogue I hated the most. And it means we won't have a nice and friendly female companion. Damn... she cursed so much in that dialogue that in the end I just killed her.
Posted By: TheAscendent Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:17 PM
Are we sure these are companions and not camp followers like Halsen and Volo?
Posted By: Hawke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:18 PM
Nope, they are 100% companions their scripts are completely different from any other NPC in the files!
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:31 PM
I imagine that Karlach will be a ranger. It is the basic class missing so far, and she is depicted with a crossbow. Might be a ranged fighter or rogue, of course, but it would make sense to have a ranger in there.

I agree with other comments - another snarky female companion? I'm going to be taking Aatarion up on his offers at this rate.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:33 PM
Nice find.

I never found any werewolves in my playthrough. Is she a Druid? And Karlach is a paladin?
Posted By: Hawke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:34 PM
Minsc has been a ranger since BG1 and Larian won't add two ranger compaions.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hawke

Keep forgetting that Minsc was/is a ranger. He is definitely a closet barbarian.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:39 PM
“Ze barz, they bend and twist with my BERSERKER STRENGTH!”
Posted By: Zress Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sadurian

Keep forgetting that Minsc was/is a ranger. He is definitely a closet barbarian.

Yep, he even had a berserk ability. In BG1 there was no barbarian class (they added it only much later at Enhanced Edition). I am sure that he would've been a barbarian.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:42 PM
I always ran him as a barbarian, despite (IIRC) having to alter things to give him two-handed sword proficiency. I don't think he used his bow a great deal back in the days when I was running him.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Zress
Yep, he even had a berserk ability. In BG1 there was no barbarian class (they added it only much later at Enhanced Edition). I am sure that he would've been a barbarian.

It will be interesting to see what class he emerges with in BG3. Will they stick with canon (and avoid all the hate that would come from changing him), or will they bow to the inevitable and have him dual-classed or a full-on barbarian?
Posted By: Zress Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:54 PM
I think he was always meant to be a Rashemi Berserker (Barbarian). And he was on his dajemma (type of rite of passage) when we first see him in BG1, as he was guarding Dynaheir who was trying to prove herself and become a Hathran, and he tried to gain admittance into the White Dragon lodge, which is an order of Berserkers.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 01:58 PM
Hopefully Boo will be an independent character/creature now. Graphics have moved on a lot from BG/BG2, and having a hamster, even a dwarf giant space-hamster, scurrying about the place would be fun.
Posted By: Zress Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:01 PM
The real question is are we going to get Jim Cummings as the voice actor for him???
Posted By: _Vic_ Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:03 PM
There is a

Easter egg with a book about space hamsters ingame, so that could be feasible.
Posted By: DumbleDorf Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:03 PM
Minsc is a Ranger otherwise he would not have an Animal Companion in Boo.

What happened is he took a knock to the head (his big purple mark is a scar not a tattoo), and became essentially a 'fallen Ranger' and lost most of his brain cells, but gained berzerker rage.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:12 PM
The most exiting aspect of having Minsc in my party is the potential banter between him and the companions we got. I hope he won't try to kill them all..it's like five edwins
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:16 PM
I think Minsc and Wyll will be great fun together. Minsc probably isn’t smart enough to understand how full of s—— Wyll is, at least not at first, and will take his desperate performance of being a hero as genuine.
Posted By: AnonySimon Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:16 PM
I am pretty sure that they will keep Minsc a Ranger. After all, Idle Champions had the chance to change his class to Barbarian, and they did not.
Posted By: Zress Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Abits
The most exiting aspect of having Minsc in my party is the potential banter between him and the companions we got. I hope he won't try to kill them all..it's like five edwins

ROFL!

I will most likely hang with him and Wyll and just muscle through the game with a party of 3 or something.
Posted By: _Vic_ Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:18 PM
I absolutely going to multiclass him into barbarian if Larian does not make it so or create a custom subclass for him =D
Posted By: azarhal Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:21 PM

I wonder if these aren't temporary companions files. The full companions will all be origins, that is, selectable at player creation as your playable character.

Karlach works as an origins (outside her class, as we already have a fighter), but her dialogue sound like a lots of other NPCs that tells you to meet them in Baldur's Gate after your are done with their current quest.

Going by a post on Reddit that mention more info about these. Helia = Haslin. Different gender and animal shapeshift, but both are being harassed by goblins kids throwing stones at them. Haslin is clearly not an origins option.

I really doubt Minsc is going to be an origin. He has NPC written all over him.
Posted By: Goldberry Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:21 PM

Gosh darn it, another freak? A vampire and a werewolf? grin
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I think Minsc and Wyll will be great fun together. Minsc probably isn’t smart enough to understand how full of s—— Wyll is, at least not at first, and will take his desperate performance of being a hero as genuine.

True! it would be awesome! I was thinking about minsc and Astarion or shadowheart, they make fun of him all the way and he doesn't get it, but I think the Wyll-Minsc dynamic has even more potential..
"You are the blade of frontier! surely you have slain many evil dragons!"
"yeah... about that.."
Posted By: blindhamster Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:30 PM

Oooh... you are a smart one!
Posted By: kanisatha Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:32 PM
So my good-aligned party would be: PC, Minsc, Gale, and a mercenary? That sucks.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by blindhamster

Oooh... you are a smart one!

almost as smart as boo sometimes!
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by kanisatha
So my good-aligned party would be: PC, Minsc, Gale, and a mercenary? That sucks.

Helia could be good. Werewolf druids don’t need to be evil. See Cernd.
Posted By: Gabriel Farishta Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:36 PM
I'm guessing Karlach is likely a bard, based on the look of her gear. KInda also fits her snarky mouth. A barbarian is also possible given she is a Zariel Tiefling, but that would be a waste, honestly, since Tieflings are innate casters and barbarians can't cast while raging. A Barbarian is also unlikely to start with a crossbow, but the class kinda fits her dialogue about the war in Avernus.

Just a thought on (implicit) alignments, keeping in mind the current companions are mostly evil/ neutral and coming ones are likely good:
Astarion: Chaotic Evil (Vampires are usually lawful evil, but this fits better on a rogue running away from his master)
Lae'zel: Lawful Evil (as are all Gith)
Shadowheart: Neutral Evil (as is Shar)
Gale: Lawful Neutral (he seems the least evil of all current companions, imo)
Wyll: Chaotic Neutral (he loves kids and has a revenge story; seems like a standard renegade)
Minsc: Chaotic Good (known)
Karlach: Neutral Good (hard to believe, considering she is a tiefling with a snarky mouth, but maybe? Or maybe Chaotic Neutral (most Tieflings are Chaotic)? Note that bards are almost always neutral along at least one dimension)
Helia: True Neutral (for a Shapeshifter Druid) or Chaotic Good (a Selunite lycanthrope; would be an interesting dynamic with Shadowheart) or Chaotic Evil (a Malarite lycanthrope; highly unlikely given she was being bullied by kids)
Posted By: Hawke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by azarhal

I wonder if these aren't temporary companions files. The full companions will all be origins, that is, selectable at player creation as your playable character.

Karlach works as an origins (outside her class, as we already have a fighter), but her dialogue sound like a lots of other NPCs that tells you to meet them in Baldur's Gate after your are done with their current quest.

Going by a post on Reddit that mention more info about these. Helia = Haslin. Different gender and animal shapeshift, but both are being harassed by goblins kids throwing stones at them. Haslin is clearly not an origins option.

I really doubt Minsc is going to be an origin. He has NPC written all over him.

If you would look at the actual files you can see that they have as many reactions and scripts as the already revealed companions, nothing suggests that they are just quick placeholders.
Posted By: macadami Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:42 PM
Im pretty sure we have all the origin characters already in game, Minsc to fill the ranger slot, and Karlach probably dark paladin of some leadership flavor or possibly even a bard by her clothes using her songs to boost her troops in hell, with the werewolf as a shapeshifting druid.

That leaves, sorceror, monk, barbarian, and one other as PC only classes; unless Minsc had a change of heart and converted to Barbarian or Monk.
Posted By: Gabriel Farishta Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by macadami
Im pretty sure we have all the origin characters already in game, Minsc to fill the ranger slot, and Karlach probably dark paladin of some leadership flavor or possibly even a bard by her clothes using her songs to boost her troops in hell, with the werewolf as a shapeshifting druid.

That leaves, sorceror, monk, barbarian, and one other as PC only classes; unless Minsc had a change of heart and converted to Barbarian or Monk.

Paladin (or even blackguard) is unlikely for Karlach; paladin subclasses almost never use ranged weapons.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:12 PM
Don’t know what race Helia is, but there does seem to be a distinct lack of stunties (dwarfs, halflings, gnomes). That seems a bit odd.

I know it’s reaching, but I hope this means that there are a few more companions who aren’t represented in the game files, yet.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:15 PM
Don’t know what race Helia is, but there does seem to be a distinct lack of stunties (dwarfs, halflings, gnomes). That seems a bit odd.

If you're saying the game is 'short' on dwarfs, halflings and gnomes, I may have to refer you to the Campaign for Equal Heights.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:18 PM

If you're saying the game is 'short' on dwarfs, halflings and gnomes, I may have to refer you to the Campaign for Equal Heights.

Take an inspiration die.
Posted By: vometia Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:22 PM
If you must go digging through the game files, please don't then decide to start posting potential spoilers with no warning. Thanks.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:25 PM
I think it was a given Larian were going to use minsc to be honest, he's such an iconic character and they badly need to tie into the earlier games to justify the 3 in its name smile

The ohers were news but had been pointed out in other threads as guesses already
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

Only if Boo is real, and I like Boo better as living only in Minsc's head.

If he's actually a companion, I'm hoping for Barbarian because I could use one of those for a tank instead of lizard lady. I don't have much use for a Ranger in my ideal party of 4, and I would almost have to take Minsc for nostalgia's sake if he's available.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:34 PM
Boo was never a true animal companion, he was always just fluff.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

If he's actually a companion, I'm hoping for Barbarian because I could use one of those for a tank instead of lizard lady. I don't have much use for a Ranger in my ideal party of 4, and I would almost have to take Minsc for nostalgia's sake if he's available.

Boo is real, he's in his inventory and his portrait and appears in the comics he's been in and also there was a side quest to rescue Boo in BG2.

But yeah, he shouldn't be an animal companion in the ranger sense. Just an animal, that is his companion lol
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:37 PM

Boo was always real. He is an item in Minsc’s inventory in both games, and other characters interact with Boo. Jan tried to steal him.

This does put a dent in my plans for fully custom parties. I can’t leave Minsc behind. He is perhaps my favorite RPG companion of all time.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:40 PM
Nice find.

I never found any werewolves in my playthrough. Is she a Druid? And Karlach is a paladin?

Karlach might be a blackguard, which is the evil version of a paladin.
Posted By: Spideyknight Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:42 PM
According to this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j91427/somebody_on_rpgcodex_opened_up_the_main_game/ there are a few missing from your findings.

More spoilers:

Daisy, who's Dress is in files, and is the same as the dress you see in the Dream sequences, make of that what you will

Sylvira, who could be: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Sylvira_Savikas

"Unnamed Drow" - Minthara? Seems unlikely.

"Den Leader"

Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Nice find.

Blackguards aren’t in 5E. Some of the paladin subclasses, such as Oath of Vengeance or Oath of Conquest, work well for evil paladins, though.
Posted By: Bossk_Hogg Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:43 PM

What happened is he took a knock to the head (his big purple mark is a scar not a tattoo), and became essentially a 'fallen Ranger' and lost most of his brain cells, but gained berzerker rage.

Boo really isnt an animal companion... Anyone can buy a hamster. I have a lot of fondness for the character, but he was a ranger in name only, as they didnt have a barbarian class. The Folk Hero background provides Animal Handling and Survival skills and is perfect for him. Add in totem barbarian or something and he's essentially got everything he had in the original BG games. Minsc has a 6 wisdom in those games... I dont even think he could cast ranger spells in 5E.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:43 PM
Nice find.

Blackguards aren’t in 5E. Some of the paladin subclasses, such as Oath of Vengeance or Oath of Conquest, work well for evil paladins, though.

She must be an evil paladin. She wouldn't have worked for Zariel if she wasn't.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:48 PM
I expected Minthara to be completing the group of evil companions. I assume that Minsc will not show up in chapter 1. If the assumption of having to part ways with all but 3 companions after chapter 1 proves to be correct that would indicate the possibility to grow the group again once a new camp in the new area has been found.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:52 PM
Boo is real. I just don't think he is really a giant miniature space hamster.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:53 PM

She must be an evil paladin. She wouldn't have worked for Zariel if she wasn't.

Not necessarily. She was an unwilling participant in the Blood War.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:53 PM
Nice find.

And it seems Blackguards are in 5e:

Blackguards article
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:55 PM

Miniature giant space hamster.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:56 PM

Damn it I knew I wouldn't say it right
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 03:58 PM

And it seems Blackguards are in 5e:

Blackguards article

That is about Blackguard as an enemy, not a player class.
Posted By: Hawke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Spideyknight
According to this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j91427/somebody_on_rpgcodex_opened_up_the_main_game/ there are a few missing from your findings.

More spoilers:

Daisy, who's Dress is in files, and is the same as the dress you see in the Dream sequences, make of that what you will

"Den Leader"

Those might be camp followers but they nothing suggests that they are full companions/origins
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:15 PM

More spoilers:

"Den Leader"

Those might be camp followers but they nothing suggests that they are full companions/origins

Yes, this.

The unnamed Drow could be Minthara.
Den leader could be Halsin.

Sylvira is an scholar from Candlekeep. If they were going to add another companion, why would they add another wizard and another tiefling instead so something new?

Posted By: AnonySimon Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:36 PM

Even if Miniature Giant Space Hamsters aren't real, Giant Space Hamsters are real.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by AnonySimon

Even if Miniature Giant Space Hamsters aren't real, Giant Space Hamsters are real.

I wonder whether is it a retcon
Posted By: blindhamster Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:44 PM
Don't believe so.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:46 PM

???

Eh, sorry, I’m missing your point. I know giant space hamsters are a thing in D&D.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:52 PM
Spelljammer and the Monstrous Compendium pre-date BG by a number of years.
Posted By: Oldnight Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 04:55 PM
I looked through the game files and found the missing companions!

Companions/Origins

Minsc Ranger: the only returning companion from the Bhallspawn Saga
Karlach: already in the game but haven't found her class

[img]https://imgur.com/GrFYAee[/img]

That makes 8 compaions in total, I doubt they will add more than those.

karlach? ill take the blue greatsword over her
Posted By: BladeKuroda Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:22 PM
Where did you find the files?
Posted By: Godforsaken Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:26 PM
But Minsc should be like a level 30 character by now no? after Throne of Bhaal when everyone got maxed out.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:33 PM
For all we know something could have knocked a few levels off of Minsc in the 100 years since BG2. Could he even achieve such an age?
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:33 PM
Why does it matter?
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:42 PM
Man, Minsc would be such a bad idea. He is or has been one of peoples favorite companions and it'd be just too easy to screw him up. If folks are angry about the state of things now wait until they fuck up a beloved companion from a previous game.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Man, Minsc would be such a bad idea. He is or has been one of peoples favorite companions and it'd be just too easy to screw him up. If folks are angry about the state of things now wait until they fuck up a beloved companion from a previous game.

Most people aren’t upset. Most people are very happy.
Posted By: Godforsaken Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:45 PM

I agree. He will most likely won't even have the same voice actor (really hope I am wrong here).
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Godforsaken
But Minsc should be like a level 30 character by now no? after Throne of Bhaal when everyone got maxed out.

The way I interpret levels is that they are not a permanent thing. When a character is involved in a campaign they are being pushed to their limits because of extreme pressure, desperation, and motivation. A retired or aged adventurer would not retain all of their levels. They wouldn’t necessarily drop to 1, but I’m willing to accept that contrivance to adventure with Minsc, again.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:49 PM

I agree. He will most likely won't even have the same voice actor (really hope I am wrong here).

They got Jim Cummings to come back for Siege if Dragonspear. Why wouldn’t they be able to get him for BG3?
Posted By: blindhamster Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 05:52 PM

The way I interpret levels is that they are not a permanent thing. When a character is involved in a campaign they are being pushed to their limits because of extreme pressure, desperation, and motivation. A retired or aged adventurer would not retain all of their levels. They wouldn’t necessarily drop to 1, but I’m willing to accept that contrivance to adventure with Minsc, again.

Also different editions, so no 1:1 correlation of rules from that. And he was turned to stone for a long time (like.. 100 years or something mad like that)
Posted By: Hawke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by BladeKuroda
Where did you find the files?

I used a programm to open the early access files.
Posted By: AnonySimon Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 06:23 PM

I wonder whether is it a retcon

A quick google search shows that Giant Space Hamsters first appeared MC7 Monstrous Compendium: Spelljammer Appendix (1990), while Baldurs Gate was released in 1998.
Posted By: Angra Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 06:58 PM
There is a comic that came out a couple of years ago with Minsc, in it I think it was that he had been turned to stone and was used as a statue.
When released from his petrified state he and his trusted companion Boo continued to fight evil.

Not sure at what date in the world this occurred, but it could explain why he isn't an old man.

Found this " Sometime in the 1480s DR, the Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge dispelled the petrification effect, returning Minsc and Boo to life. "

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Minsc

Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Angra
There is a comic that came out a couple of years ago with Minsc, in it I think it was that he had been turned to stone and was used as a statue.
When released from his petrified state he and his trusted companion Boo continued to fight evil.

Not sure at what date in the world this occurred, but it could explain why he isn't an old man.

Minsc is unpetrified a few years before BG3.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 07:28 PM
While I'd live to adventure with Minsc again, I think his personality would jar significantly with the edgelord-ish tone that the other NPCs all seem to have. He would either feel ported from another game (because he had been) or they'd "deepen" him in such a way as to make him completely different from the original Minsc. Viconia would work just fine in the setting they put together. Even Jahira. But Minsc is just too innocent and lighthearted of a character.

I don't mind the idea of a Teifling in the party, but why does it have to be Karlach? There were plenty of perfectly nice, good-aligned seeming Teiflings in the refugee camp. I'm really sick of the number of evil-ish female characters in the game.

I would presume the werewolf is actually going to be a Druid shapeshifter or something? Cernd sucked, but I'd like to see it done right.

Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 07:32 PM
Why are people assuming Karlach is evil? You meet her while she is bleeding out after having been hunted by cultists, but if you convince her that you aren’t a threat she relaxes and there is nothing about her to suggest she is evil. She was forced into participating in the Blood War and enjoyed killing demons. These are not inherently evil traits.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 07:38 PM
Why are people assuming Karlach is evil? You meet her while she is bleeding out after having been hunted by cultists, but if you convince her that you aren’t a threat she relaxes and there is nothing about her to suggest she is evil. She was forced into participating in the Blood War and enjoyed killing demons. These are not inherently evil traits.

Under the traditional understanding of D&D alignment, someone who is largely out for themselves is Evil with a capital E, even if they aren't into kicking puppies and children for fun. At best, Karlach may be neutral in alignment similar to Wyll and Gale. Which might be a step up from Lae'zel and Shadowheart, who basically hate every decision I make, but I'd like to have one good-tilting NPC in the party, you know?
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 07:47 PM
What makes you think she is only out for herself?
Posted By: Dinvan Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Telephasic

Under the traditional understanding of D&D alignment, someone who is largely out for themselves is Evil with a capital E, even if they aren't into kicking puppies and children for fun. At best, Karlach may be neutral in alignment similar to Wyll and Gale. Which might be a step up from Lae'zel and Shadowheart, who basically hate every decision I make, but I'd like to have one good-tilting NPC in the party, you know?

I feel you there, seems like every decision I make I see "Shadowheart/Astorian/Lae'zel disapproves".

Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 08:25 PM
I think this is a lot of conjecture predicated on very little data. There is nothing to suggest she is evil. Larian said they added the evil and neutral companions first and the good ones would come later. That is not to say it is certain she isn’t evil, but I think it is too early to jump to conclusions.
Posted By: Blade238 Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 08:48 PM
I sincerely hope that isn't all for the companions. That'd leave pretty much no female companions that I like. My party is going to end up like FFXV at this rate
Posted By: Maxximenez Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 08:53 PM
My only issue with Karlach is that she seems to be wearing, what, ringmail? I just don't know what class she's supposed to be.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Maxximenez
My only issue with Karlach is that she seems to be wearing, what, ringmail? I just don't know what class she's supposed to be.

Lae’zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart are wearing their unique outfits from the promotional art but Wyll and Gale aren’t. It could be that all of the unique starting outfits for various NPCs, including this one, aren’t done yet.
Posted By: Gabriel Farishta Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Maxximenez

Lae’zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart are wearing their unique outfits from the promotional art but Wyll and Gale aren’t. It could be that all of the unique starting outfits for various NPCs, including this one, aren’t done yet.

Looked more like studded leather to me. My money's on bard, though barbarian is a distinct possibility based on her war stories. None of the other classes (that we haven't seen yet) fit at all.
Posted By: Gabriel Farishta Re: The missing companions! - 15/10/20 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dinvan

I feel you there, seems like every decision I make I see "Shadowheart/Astorian/Lae'zel disapproves".

I get what you mean about Astarion and Lae'zel, but I don't think Shadowheart is that heartless; several parts of the story already suggest there is a softer side to her, even if she is a fanatic.

Here's my two cents (quoted from earlier in the thread) about alignments and classes:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta
I'm guessing Karlach is likely a bard, based on the look of her gear. KInda also fits her snarky mouth. A barbarian is also possible given she is a Zariel Tiefling, but that would be a waste, honestly, since Tieflings are innate casters and barbarians can't cast while raging. A Barbarian is also unlikely to start with a crossbow, but the class kinda fits her dialogue about the war in Avernus.

Just a thought on (implicit) alignments, keeping in mind the current companions are mostly evil/ neutral and coming ones are likely good:
Astarion: Chaotic Evil (Vampires are usually lawful evil, but this fits better on a rogue running away from his master)
Lae'zel: Lawful Evil (as are all Gith)
Shadowheart: Neutral Evil (as is Shar)
Gale: Lawful Neutral (he seems the least evil of all current companions, imo)
Wyll: Chaotic Neutral (he loves kids and has a revenge story; seems like a standard renegade)
Minsc: Chaotic Good (known)
Karlach: Neutral Good (hard to believe, considering she is a tiefling with a snarky mouth, but maybe? Or maybe Chaotic Neutral (most Tieflings are Chaotic)? Note that bards are almost always neutral along at least one dimension)
Helia: True Neutral (for a Shapeshifter Druid) or Chaotic Good (a Selunite lycanthrope; would be an interesting dynamic with Shadowheart) or Chaotic Evil (a Malarite lycanthrope; highly unlikely given she was being bullied by kids)

Posted By: Sephirajo Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 12:01 AM
I really hope Karlach is not a companion. I think she has the dialogue I hated the most. And it means we won't have a nice and friendly female companion. Damn... she cursed so much in that dialogue that in the end I just killed her.

....Women don't exist for you. Not even virtual ones. *eye roll*
Posted By: Sloane Hardtower Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 01:47 AM
Minsc is easy. A Tadpole hurt his memory, so would be easy for him to need to relearn his skills. With Barbarian class coming, he is perfect for it and with Boo being a space hamster the nautloid ship might have some really interesting interactions.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 01:49 AM
I do have to say, I wonder what the hell would happen to Minsc's dialogue if I put that circlet that grants 18 intelligence on him.
Posted By: Maxximenez Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Sloane Hardtower
Minsc is easy. A Tadpole hurt his memory, so would be easy for him to need to relearn his skills. With Barbarian class coming, he is perfect for it and with Boo being a space hamster the nautloid ship might have some really interesting interactions.

Minsc is still a ranger as of 5th edition. He's in a tie-in D&D comic book and they released a character sheet for him so I imagine his stats will look like that.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:02 AM
I do call BS on the character sheet. They made him too smart. 😂
Posted By: Arideya Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:10 AM
INT and WIS definitely too high smirk
Posted By: Zress Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by Sephirajo

Not sure why you say that. I just think that specifically in BG3 the female companions are not very appealing personality wise. In the OG games the companions were much more friendly and appealing, even the evil ones. When I encountered Karlach in my playthrough she was dropping f-bombs left and right and it was that dialogue that really broke my immersion. She points her crossbow and bad mouthing four fully armed adventurers, and even after I talked to her and showed interest in her story she kept cursing and acting like an asshat. After a while I just couldn't stand her crappy attitude so I attacked.

I have nothing against woman. Quite the opposite, I would love to see more female companions in the game, and hopefully we will get to see them soon. I just hope that they will be more friendly than the ones we have now. How is it not okay to ask for friendly companions? why should I travel and put my life in the hands of people that resent me and give me snarky comments each time I approach them?
Posted By: Sephirajo Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by Sephirajo

Not sure why you say that. I just think that specifically in BG3 the female companions are not very appealing personality wise. In the OG games the companions were much more friendly and appealing, even the evil ones. When I encountered Karlach in my playthrough she was dropping f-bombs left and right and it was that dialogue that really broke my immersion. She points her crossbow and bad mouthing four fully armed adventurers, and even after I talked to her and showed interest in her story she kept cursing and acting like an asshat. After a while I just couldn't stand her crappy attitude so I attacked.

I have nothing against woman. Quite the opposite, I would love to see more female companions in the game, and hopefully we will get to see them soon. I just hope that they will be more friendly than the ones we have now. How is it not okay to ask for friendly companions? why should I travel and put my life in the hands of people that resent me and give me snarky comments each time I approach them?

1. You used females.
2. Women don't have to be friendly. I bet you want them to smile more too.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:38 AM
Thread derailment in progress? I hope not
Posted By: Spideyknight Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:40 AM

More spoilers:

"Den Leader"

Hmm...something tells me we are missing parts of this puzzle. If they were camp followers where is the
skeleton, Volo, and even Halcin?
Maybe Halcin and Volo aren't forever camp followers but I imagine the skeleton is. Plus to the left of the Traveler's Chest is a covered Alcove that would be a perfect spot for a "
Den Leader
."
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 02:56 AM
[quote=Hawke][quote=Spideyknight]According to this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j91427/somebody_on_rpgcodex_opened_up_the_main_game/ there are a few missing from your findings.

Hmm...something tells me we are missing parts of this puzzle. If they were camp followers where is the
skeleton, Volo, and even Halcin?
Maybe Halcin and Volo aren't forever camp followers but I imagine the skeleton is. Plus to the left of the Traveler's Chest is a covered Alcove that would be a perfect spot for a "
Den Leader
."

Good Points
Posted By: Telephasic Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 03:01 AM
The issue of "niceness" is separate from alignment. Someone can be a Lawful Evil type and be completely affable...to your face. In contrast, someone can be a genuinely good character and be pretty gruff. Jaheira (though she's technically True Neutral) is a good example.

I'm not sure I agree that the female characters need to be "nice." But Larian seems to have tied niceness to approval, and right now the female companions tend to be pretty cold/mean to you if you go around doing heroic things. This is disappointing, because I feel like as a good character I'm locked out of the female romance options (or even just a close friendship) due to not wanting to be an asshole to everyone.
Posted By: Calim Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 08:40 AM
Did you count Halsin in the companions?
Posted By: Khorvale Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 09:49 AM
I'm not sure I agree that the female characters need to be "nice." But Larian seems to have tied niceness to approval, and right now the female companions tend to be pretty cold/mean to you if you go around doing heroic things. This is disappointing, because I feel like as a good character I'm locked out of the female romance options (or even just a close friendship) due to not wanting to be an asshole to everyone.

Maybe your good character should stop being such a horndog and forget about boning the evil priestess or the space nazi wink
Posted By: 1varangian Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 04:00 PM
Too many hamsters, vampires, werewolves, aliens and devil spawns to my liking. Everyone is so extra special that it becomes mundane.

I'm missing a normal person you can actually relate to. How about an aspiring human squire who can become a knight in shining armor or a dark blackguard based on your adventures and choices. Why try so hard to make everyone so "different" when it should be more about personalities and choices.

Also, would be nice to get more variety. A good cleric, evil female sorcerer, a living Rogue...

Posted By: kanisatha Re: The missing companions! - 16/10/20 04:27 PM
The issue of "niceness" is separate from alignment. Someone can be a Lawful Evil type and be completely affable...to your face. In contrast, someone can be a genuinely good character and be pretty gruff. Jaheira (though she's technically True Neutral) is a good example.

Yup. No romance for you if you are male, straight, and actually role-play your PC as good-aligned. For now.
Posted By: Meeshe Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 05:30 PM
Minsc and Boo as companions fills my heart with joy. It just might make up for all the fire everywhere. wink Just kidding it won't but OMG I'll love having them around again.

Edit.. Them not him
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 05:47 PM

Yup. No romance for you if you are male, straight, and actually role-play your PC as good-aligned. For now.

I actually decided to play a lesbian character when I heard everyone was playersexual anyway. If I have to look at my character from the third person all the time, better it be someone I think is attractive. But functionally speaking it's identical in terms of lack of choice. I haven't even gotten to dream about the hot tattooed halfling I created since I don't use the tadpole powers.

Originally Posted by 1varangian
Too many hamsters, vampires, werewolves, aliens and devil spawns to my liking. Everyone is so extra special that it becomes mundane.

I'm missing a normal person you can actually relate to. How about an aspiring human squire who can become a knight in shining armor or a dark blackguard based on your adventures and choices. Why try so hard to make everyone so "different" when it should be more about personalities and choices.

Also, would be nice to get more variety. A good cleric, evil female sorcerer, a living Rogue...

I think Larian mistook what makes for compelling characters. You don't need a weird/unique backstory to make a character interesting. You need the character to have relatable, understandable motives.

So far, Wyll, Asterion, and Gale have all opened up to me enough that I can see hints of their inner pain. In contrast, neither Lae'zel nor Shadowheart want to share a damn thing with me. Which makes it hard to find them compelling, at least on this playthrough.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 06:03 PM
Larian do seem to have mistaken 'edgy' for 'attractive'. Don't get me wrong, I know that edgy is a turn-on for some people, but the female characters on offer are a weird frog-humanoid, and a woman with huge bat-ears (facially attractive, I agree, but those ears are just too alien for me). Looks and race aside, they are both just nasty people. Is this what passes for 'sexy' in Larian's studios?

I generally, but not exclusively, play my female characters as lesbians (it is easier for me to imagine romancing female characters), but I see nothing on offer romance-wise. My poor dwarf will have to remain celibate for now.
Posted By: Arideya Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 06:30 PM
Larian do seem to have mistaken 'edgy' for 'attractive'. Don't get me wrong, I know that edgy is a turn-on for some people, but the female characters on offer are a weird frog-humanoid, and a woman with huge bat-ears (facially attractive, I agree, but those ears are just too alien for me). Looks and race aside, they are both just nasty people. Is this what passes for 'sexy' in Larian's studios?

Well we are playing a D&D game, 5/8 races have bat ears.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:04 PM

The appearance of the characters doesn't even enter into it when I'm considering romance when playing a game. For a long period the characters were just a single static picture, and following that were rendered with about as much accuracy as a blow-up doll. A game romance is about the story, not the rendered tits or whatever. I could watch porn if I cared about that.

Let me note though that I think nasty can work in a romance. Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins was the most popular romance option by far in that game (partially because Liliana is hard to romance as a man) and she's a total bitch (and arguably chaotic evil as well). However - the important thing is she's not a closed person. She's starts explaining her POV regarding the world quite early on, and even if you do "good" things she disapproves of it's possible to gain her favor through gifts and personal conversations.

One could of course argue that the system is "gamey" - and that Larian's system of closed NPCs who you have to earn the trust of is more realistic to how people would act. That said, players want a game, not reality. They want some tangible reward for their actions, and they want things to happen easier in games than RL, since to some extent RPGs are a form of wish-fulfillment. Arguably, people want affirmation in games in part because there are plenty of closed-off assholes IRL. They don't want more closed-off assholes inside games as well.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Arideya

True enough, and D&D has even more races, some that don't have ears or who are furry or made of stone or whatever. I doubt that I would be eager to romance them, either!

It is one of the oddities of so many sentient humanoid races - players (and developers) seem to want to have them appeal to human (player) mind. Hence most of the standard races basically resemble humans with extra bits stuck on. Even representations of the Githyanki are becoming more humanised (compare the 'modern' versions to the creature on the old Fiend Folio). Monstrous and alien is becoming familiar, sympathetic and more human-like.

Anyhow, I'm not one who has ever really found D&D's elves attractive. They are elves, a different species, not just slim humans.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:16 PM

Anyhow, I'm not one who has ever really found D&D's elves attractive. They are elves, a different species, not just slim humans.

Humans finding elves attractive (and vice versa) is absolutely something which exists within universe however. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many half-elves. Thus I think it's safe to include human characters are supposed to find elves hot, or at least "doable."
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:20 PM
I remember the infamous sourcebook which included all manner of halfbreeds and results of cross-species encounters.
Posted By: Arideya Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:24 PM

True enough, and D&D has even more races, some that don't have ears or who are furry or made of stone or whatever. I doubt that I would be eager to romance them, either!

It is one of the oddities of so many sentient humanoid races - players (and developers) seem to want to have them appeal to human (player) mind. Hence most of the standard races basically resemble humans with extra bits stuck on. Even representations of the Githyanki are becoming more humanised (compare the 'modern' versions to the creature on the old Fiend Folio). Monstrous and alien is becoming familiar, sympathetic and more human-like.

Fair enough. I am the opposite, I prefer a travelling circus. We have 8 billion humans on our real life planet, give me elves, halfflings, dwarves, demon-kin, and other weird species to travel, be friends with, and romance. I already feel that having 2 humans out of 5 current companions is one too many.
I am curious though, what did you do in Baldur's Gate 2? Because that game is literally an elf-fest for male characters.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:28 PM

I am curious though, what did you do in Baldur's Gate 2? Because that game is literally an elf-fest for male characters.

Thinking about it, I suppose the shoe is on the other foot this time around in romance, since female characters in BG2 only got friggin Anomen!

I mean, even after his "upgrade" he's a self-centered prig.

Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:31 PM

I tend to play female characters and often ended up chatting up Nalia. It bugged me a little that I couldn't marry and be the Lord/Lady of the manor, but actually that made sense in context.

She was human, of course.
Posted By: Arideya Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:46 PM

Thinking about it, I suppose the shoe is on the other foot this time around in romance, since female characters in BG2 only got friggin Anomen!

I mean, even after his "upgrade" he's a self-centered prig.

Haha I was thinking about the same thing. Most of the companion complaints are targeted towards the girls right now, and mostly everyone seems to be happy with the dudes.
In the end I want every player to be happy, but I am not complaining right now :3

I tend to play female characters and often ended up chatting up Nalia. It bugged me a little that I couldn't marry and be the Lord/Lady of the manor, but actually that made sense in context.

She was human, of course.

If I am not mistaken there is a mod for that.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:55 PM
If I am not mistaken there is a mod for that.

Indeed. The wedding went ahead in many of my play-throughs. Love (and a suitable mod) conquers all.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 07:57 PM

Haha I was thinking about the same thing. Most of the companion complaints are targeted towards the girls right now, and mostly everyone seems to be happy with the dudes.
In the end I want every player to be happy, but I am not complaining right now :3

Can I ask who is your favorite of the three?
Posted By: Arideya Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 08:25 PM

Can I ask who is your favorite of the three?

Astarion, but I am a fan of travelling circus smile Who's yours?
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 08:46 PM

Romantically speaking, none of them "do it" for me, but I think as a person I like Wyll the best.
Posted By: Zress Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 09:12 PM

Romantically speaking, none of them "do it" for me, but I think as a person I like Wyll the best.

Same!
Posted By: TheAscendent Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 10:26 PM
I am a bit concerned about what will happen to the companions we don't keep. Larian has stated that we need to commit to 3 companions for a party of 4 like in Divinity.
The ones we didn't pick died when Dallis attacks the Lady Vengeance.
So we need to be careful who we want with us after the First Act.
Posted By: Blade238 Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 16/10/20 10:47 PM
From a D&D level perspective, are these characters what someone would expect for a level 1 character? Werewolves, vampire spawn, demon possessed, etc., all empowered by a tadpole? It honestly seems weird to me. I would figure more so some average person that was abducted and empowered by the tadpole would make more sense.
The probability of getting this group of characters is very small. But I guess probability was considered less important than interesting backstories.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 12:25 PM
In my experience of games, players end up with a real United Nations of races when they pick their characters. The current party of the D&D game I'm currently in (on hold overt Covid lockdown but still alive) consists of a tabaxi, a halfling, a triton, a tiefling, a half-orc, and two humans (including my own - I started with a aasimar and have also played a vampire PC in that campaign). In that respect, the companions we have on offer in BG3 are actually not far off the demographic in terms of non-human to human races.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 02:14 PM
My pnp campaign is also quite diverse.

Firbolg Life Cleric of Eldath
Human Wolf totem Barbarian
Dwarf Battlerager Barbarian
Gnome Thief Rogue
Elf Bladesinger Wizard
Goblin/Kobold Dragonblood Sorcerer/Moon Druid (mechanically just goblin iirc, but GM gave him a magic item that gives him pack tactics to give the kobold feel)

We used to half a Half Elf Archfey tome pact warlock, but the player took a break and when he returned made the Gnome instead.
Posted By: Ocece Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 04:11 PM
Does anyone else believe we might get one companion per class, so 12 total? That would be perfect.

I thought I read somewhere there were about 12 writers as well, each writing one companion, but I might be misremembering.
Posted By: Abits Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ocece
Does anyone else believe we might get one companion per class, so 12 total? That would be perfect.

I thought I read somewhere there were about 12 writers as well, each writing one companion, but I might be misremembering.

How I like this EA optimism that everyone spreads around laugh
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 04:20 PM

If the first post in this thread is accurate, we'll have 8 total.

If the other news that our party will be locked after Act 1 is true, I'm still wondering how they'll manage to introduce even 8 companions in Act 1, with enough time for us to try them out and see who to commit to. Maybe it will work. I'll probably be choosing the party based more on class than personality anyway.
Posted By: Ocece Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 04:20 PM
Haha, well, I'm liking the game a lot and maybe I put too much trust in Larian! I don't know, but if there aren't 12 it's not a big deal, I already like 4 out of those 5 (Not Astarion...)
Posted By: Jermz238 Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
I am a bit concerned about what will happen to the companions we don't keep. Larian has stated that we need to commit to 3 companions for a party of 4 like in Divinity.

I somehow doubt we'll have a repeat of that. It fit into the overarching scheme/plot of DOS2 because of the Highlander-style "There Can Only Be One" Sourceror/god contest.
Posted By: Abits Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jermz238

I somehow doubt we'll have a repeat of that. It fit into the overarching scheme/plot of DOS2 because of the Highlander-style "There Can Only Be One" Sourceror/god contest.

Hopefully you are right
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 17/10/20 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jermz238

True, that was a natural fit within the plot for removing the companions you didn't select. However, there are some plot-related ways it could be similar here. For example, I doubt the tadpoles will be removed from everyone at the end of Act 1, because that seems like it might be the driver for the entire plot -- whether you use the power for evil, or fight it until there's some conclusion at the end of the game.

The companions you don't select at the end of Act 1 aren't likely to just drift off and leave the area with those things in their heads. Maybe the ones you don't pick will lose whatever temporary immunity is preventing them from turning, So they turn into Mind Flayers and you have to defeat them. That would be nasty, so I hope it doesn't happen. Not to mention a vastly overpowered group of enemies. But it would neatly solve the problem of where your non-selected companions end up.

ETA: It just occurred to me that this is even foreshadowed in the camp dialogues, with "what would you use to kill me if I turned?" and the rest.
Posted By: Traycor Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 06:16 PM
Minsc is the only Origin character I would seriously consider playing.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Traycor

Minsc is actually the master sidekick imo
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Traycor

Minsc is actually the master sidekick imo

I plan on doing the exact opposite. I’m going to have Minsc be the hero of my first playthrough but I’ll also make a custom rogue who I will role play as his highly competent but forever exasperated sidekick. 😂

Even better, I’ll also have him be a defendant of my Bhaalspawn and Jaheira. Continuity!
Posted By: Blade238 Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 06:52 PM

Each writer developing a character sounds familiar, I do remember each creating one as if they were creating their own character sheet, but I don't know how many writers Larian has for this, so I'm unsure if that means 12 companions. I do like the sound of 12 as it gives an opportunity for ones I'd certainly like. Though based on the current races it doesn't give hope for more humans or elves.
Posted By: Eluvian Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 06:54 PM

Omg ;-; I didn't know that!
Well, the only one who's safe is Astarion. Wyll's dead, just because he's the same class as my MC (Until other classes are added) and I think it's going to be a toss up between Shadowfart and Gale, just because Lae'zel's a beast in combat....it's probably going to be Shadowfart tbh. Her personality is just grating, even if she does love my chaotic evil/neutral MC.
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 07:16 PM
I plan on doing the exact opposite. I’m going to have Minsc be the hero of my first playthrough but I’ll also make a custom rogue who I will role play as his highly competent but forever exasperated sidekick. 😂!

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? smile
Posted By: spacehamster95 Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 08:26 PM
I used to have a werewolf hale-elf druid character back in a 3,5 campaign. I was planning to resurrect him in full release (as simple half wood elf druid from the circle of the moon), but if we are going to have a werewolf druid Origin pc then I will seriously consider playing as her. Man, this thread really makes me curious about those upcoming Origin pcs.
Posted By: Omegaphallic Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 08:32 PM

If the other news that our party will be locked after Act 1 is true, I'm still wondering how they'll manage to introduce even 8 companions in Act 1, with enough time for us to try them out and see who to commit to. Maybe it will work. I'll probably be choosing the party based more on class than personality anyway.

The OP assumes that if it's not available to be datamined right now, it's not in the game. Larian has specifically said there writers each got a companion, except one writer who got 2.

There will be more companions then what the OP has found. Larian aren't fools they know they will need to include at least one, possibly more good female hotties because of who the majority of their audience wants. I'm betting on a Choatic Good Seldarine Drow female, perhaps a Paladin, to buck the "stereotype" of Drow females.

I think the female Tiefling being a Druid could be interesting.

Halia will likely be good too, perhaps a Good Cleric Selune, good Lycanthropes tend to flock to her church, and she'd act as a counter weight to Shadowheart.

Minsc Ranger, possibly Barbarian.

I'm hoping they do Aasimar for a female companion.
Posted By: White.Kelevra Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 09:42 PM
Awesome, but so sad, need more people on party
quick question: Undead race playable? (maybe relase game)
Posted By: Roarro Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 10:26 PM
Astarion is undead ,you can play as his origin story. Larian decision to lock party after 1 act is idiotic(its stated in Q&A,can be accesed https://larian.com/support/faqs/story-and-lore-information_56 here-help section of launcher ). We only get evilish npc for now, so i expect atleast 5 good ones, and hope for more-especially neutral characters(and dwarf ladies !!!). Only other change should be 6 people party, can't understand why anyone would want to play Baldur's Gate with max 4 party.
Posted By: TonyKW18 Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 10:41 PM
I think the current squad fits the story very well. There is nothing "ordinary" about any of them. So it seems none of the existing companions were simply scooped up like the commoners in Baldur's Gate were - the PC and existing companions were scouted and "collected" by something (the Absolute? An Elder Brain? A Deity?) A "normal" companion would run counter to the narrative Larian is trying to tell. I suspect that all future companions will have similar odd conditions - indications that a power is trying to use them for something. Not so sure about whether Minsc fits into that category, but the rest, including the non-recrutiable tiefling, seem to fit into the narrative that none of the companions are normal heroes just awaiting a chance to join and fight for your goals..
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by TonyKW18
I think the current squad fits the story very well. There is nothing "ordinary" about any of them. So it seems none of the existing companions were simply scooped up like the commoners in Baldur's Gate were - the PC and existing companions were scouted and "collected" by something (the Absolute? An Elder Brain? A Deity?) A "normal" companion would run counter to the narrative Larian is trying to tell. I suspect that all future companions will have similar odd conditions - indications that a power is trying to use them for something. Not so sure about whether Minsc fits into that category, but the rest, including the non-recrutiable tiefling, seem to fit into the narrative that none of the companions are normal heroes just awaiting a chance to join and fight for your goals..

That's a really nice and interesting way to look at it. and about minsc, we talked about it somewhere here, but I think the fact he doesn't fit combined with his personality have a lot of comedic potential. And I don't need much from minsc other than being comically awesome. And I really hoping the other companions will be constantly sarcastic towards him and he will constantly take them seriously.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 11:46 PM
Minsc and Wyll together is something I am looking forward to. I can’t express how excited I am for a true paragon of righteousness to meet that pretender.
Posted By: Kavonde Re: The missing companions! - 17/10/20 11:50 PM
I just want to say that Larian really needs to expand the party size to five, because if Minsc is a companion, he will never not be in my party, balance be damned.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 18/10/20 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Kavonde
I just want to say that Larian really needs to expand the party size to five, because if Minsc is a companion, he will never not be in my party, balance be damned.

I became the mods provider of this forum lately lol. In short, even now it's already very possible to have a party of six.
https://i.imgur.com/j9k8XqK.jpg
Posted By: Spideyknight Re: The missing companions! - 18/10/20 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

The OP assumes that if it's not available to be datamined right now, it's not in the game. Larian has specifically said there writers each got a companion, except one writer who got 2.

There will be more companions then what the OP has found. Larian aren't fools they know they will need to include at least one, possibly more good female hotties because of who the majority of their audience wants. I'm betting on a Choatic Good Seldarine Drow female, perhaps a Paladin, to buck the "stereotype" of Drow females.

I think the female Tiefling being a Druid could be interesting.

Halia will likely be good too, perhaps a Good Cleric Selune, good Lycanthropes tend to flock to her church, and she'd act as a counter weight to Shadowheart.

Minsc Ranger, possibly Barbarian.

I'm hoping they do Aasimar for a female companion.

Well it is certainly true that at least one writer got two companions. Kevin Van Ord stated as much when he was streaming on Twitch. He writes Lae'zel and Wyll. I don't know how many writers they have and I haven't seen anything that said each writer got one. I've seen many people say it but haven't found it myself. I believe they will shoot for 8 and add more in if time/resources allow. One would think that with a million sold in EA resources would not be something in short supply, but if all my years of management have taught me anything it's that there is never enough time and resources. It's all about managing what you have in the time you have.
Posted By: Hawke Re: The missing companions! - 18/10/20 07:40 PM
There are clearly 8 Origins in the game that are pretty far progressed in development + others have found 3 being mentioned once but with no additional data, so I guess this might be included or not.
and here https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/jd1qsq/highlights_from_kevin_vanords_stream/ we get the confirmation that there will be 8 companions just like I said.
Posted By: Blade238 Re: The missing companions! - 18/10/20 09:23 PM
There are clearly 8 Origins in the game that are pretty far progressed in development + others have found 3 being mentioned once but with no additional data, so I guess this might be included or not.
and here https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/jd1qsq/highlights_from_kevin_vanords_stream/ we get the confirmation that there will be 8 companions just like I said.

Well that would be massively disappointing if there's only 8 (especially with what we know of the 8). Though the link does say 8, maybe more. It also says more than DoS2 and less than BG2, which is basically anymore between 7-17 companions.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: The missing companions! - 18/10/20 10:17 PM

The reddit comments fit with what I've been saying as well. And for me, they are somewhat disappointing, especially the high likelihood we will be party-locked after Act 1.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 18/10/20 10:34 PM
8 would be a huge disappointment. I want to be able to put together an entirely good party and that doesn't seem possible with 8 that are mentioned. And this is just PR nonsense:

They plan to have eight companions, possibly more, and potentially including companions that won't be origin characters There will be more companions than DoS2 but possibly less than BG2. Part of the "less than BG2" bit is because they want all the companions to have fleshed out stories

Minsc is not going to become any more fleshed out than he was in BG2 -- he's a big, dumb good natured one line factory who looks to others for guidance. He a good friend, someone you know he always has your back. If you flesh him out too much you ruin him.

The Jaheria romance had a wall of text and a number of quests that only happened if she was in your party -- the idea that the BG2 characters were as shallow as the DOS2 characters is nonsense.
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Minsc is not going to become any more fleshed out than he was in BG2 -- he's a big, dumb good natured one line factory who looks to others for guidance. He a good friend, someone you know he always has your back. If you flesh him out too much you ruin him.

If Minsc is actually in the game, I hope he's not a playable Origin character, because the main story seems to be based on whether the MC chooses a dark or light path with the tadpole.

That's not Minc's personality at all. I would use him in a heartbeat as a companion, but not like that.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 02:09 AM
Agreed. There is nothing deep going on in Minsc's mind other than "how do I better kick the butt of evil" and "does boo want another cracker". No need to flesh that out.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 02:17 AM
Fleshing our Minsc’s personality is not the same thing as writing a fleshed out origin narrative for him.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 02:21 AM
8 would be a huge disappointment. I want to be able to put together an entirely good party and that doesn't seem possible with 8 that are mentioned.

Yeah I am 100% in agreement with you on this. Extremely disappointing for me too for exactly the same reason. I don't see how I could put together a *balanced* (in terms of the distribution of classes) party with just good-oriented companions drawing from the eight likely candidates.
Posted By: White.Kelevra Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by Kavonde

Agree, or 6, mods its nice, but want to more "officially" smile
Posted By: Spideyknight Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 04:08 AM
8 would be a huge disappointment. I want to be able to put together an entirely good party and that doesn't seem possible with 8 that are mentioned. And this is just PR nonsense:

They plan to have eight companions, possibly more, and potentially including companions that won't be origin characters There will be more companions than DoS2 but possibly less than BG2. Part of the "less than BG2" bit is because they want all the companions to have fleshed out stories

The Jaheria romance had a wall of text and a number of quests that only happened if she was in your party -- the idea that the BG2 characters were as shallow as the DOS2 characters is nonsense.

Agreed. I contend, that to this day, Jaheira still has one of the best told romances in gaming.
Posted By: Iszaryn Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 06:33 AM
I'd like to see Jaheira again even maybe as a companion again in BG3. I liked her in Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal and her romance was just perfect in my opinion.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Iszaryn
I'd like to see Jaheira again even maybe as a companion again in BG3. I liked her in Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal and her romance was just perfect in my opinion.

In BG3 she would be over 150 years old. Some Half-elves live that long, but that is well beyond adventuring age. It would be a bit too contrived to have not one, but two NPCs come back because they were frozen in time.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 07:23 AM
In BG3 she would be over 150 years old. Some Half-elves live that long, but that is well beyond adventuring age. It would be a bit too contrived to have not one, but two NPCs come back because they were frozen in time.

I've always been attracted to the older woman, but...
Posted By: dza101 Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 10:33 AM
Well Keldorn and Quayle were pretty old too, right? And the game is all about upending stereotypes.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by dza101
Well Keldorn and Quayle were pretty old too, right? And the game is all about upending stereotypes.

I always had the impression Keldorn was in the range of 45-55. Couldn't have been much older than that unless his wife was a lot younger than he was, considering he hat teenager daughters.
Posted By: Callimachus Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 02:37 PM
So... Are we saying there are 8 companions in total, half of them are evil, at least 2 are neutral, and only a maximum of 2 are good? That would be very odd... And also very disappointing as far as I'm concerned.

But then again this is a BG game, and both previous games each had a very large number of companions to choose from, so maybe there's still hope?
Posted By: azarhal Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Callimachus
So... Are we saying there are 8 companions in total, half of them are evil, at least 2 are neutral, and only a maximum of 2 are good? That would be very odd... And also very disappointing as far as I'm concerned.

But then again this is a BG game, and both previous games each had a very large number of companions to choose from, so maybe there's still hope?

That means they currently have 8 companions in advanced stage of development they are sure will make it into the game. They probably have more designed on paper but it doesn't mean they will all make it into the game.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by azarhal
Originally Posted by Callimachus

That means they currently have 8 companions in advanced stage of development they are sure will make it into the game. They probably have more designed on paper but it doesn't mean they will all make it into the game.

Possibly, and that's why I continue to talk about this issue here in the forum. It's not yet too late to fix this issue.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 03:17 PM
Considering how well the game has sold on EA, maybe we might see some more companions added. I think 10 would be a good number.

If the 5 companions so far, I think only three are evil.

Lae’zel - Lawful Evil
Shadowheart - Chaotic Evil
Astarion - Neutral Evil
Wyll - Chaotic Neutral
Gale - Lawful Neutral

Minsc will be Chaotic Good, and the other two companions will likely be good too. I think this is a decent spread.
Posted By: Sephirajo Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 03:26 PM
Considering how well the game has sold on EA, maybe we might see some more companions added. I think 10 would be a good number.

Lae’zel - Lawful Evil
Astarion - Neutral Evil
Wyll - Chaotic Neutral
Gale - Lawful Neutral

Minsc will be Chaotic Good, and the other two companions will likely be good too. I think this is a decent spread.

I'd switch up Astarion and Shadowheart but I think you got it. I mean alignment isn't a big of a thing this edition but you can still build an evil, good and mixed team(s)
Posted By: kanisatha Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 06:32 PM

Lae’zel - Lawful Evil
Astarion - Neutral Evil
Wyll - Chaotic Neutral
Gale - Lawful Neutral

I don't see the druid being good. More likely neutral. So I only see two good aligned companions.

But again, to repeat, it's really not about their formal alignment "tags" as such. What I want are at least three companions, distributed well across different classes, who will be very happy with me when I do exclusively "good" things and who themselves will only pursue "good" actions and choices. If their "tag" happens to be "neutral," that would be fine.
Posted By: Telephasic Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 08:10 PM

But again, to repeat, it's really not about their formal alignment "tags" as such. What I want are at least three companions, distributed well across different classes, who will be very happy with me when I do exclusively "good" things and who themselves will
only pursue "good" actions and choices. If their "tag" happens to be "neutral," that would be fine.

This doesn't seem that hard to be honest. Despite not truly being good themselves, Wyll and Gale approve of just about every heroic and/or compassionate thing I do not directly related to their own personal quests. Add in Minsc, and you have a full party.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 08:39 PM

But again, to repeat, it's really not about their formal alignment "tags" as such. What I want are at least three companions, distributed well across different classes, who will be very happy with me when I do exclusively "good" things and who themselves will
only pursue "good" actions and choices. If their "tag" happens to be "neutral," that would be fine.

This doesn't seem that hard to be honest. Despite not truly being good themselves, Wyll and Gale approve of just about every heroic and/or compassionate thing I do not directly related to their own personal quests. Add in Minsc, and you have a full party.

Possibly. But since I am only interested in playing melee-oriented warrior classes myself (fighter, ranger, paladin, possibly monk), where're my rogue and my cleric? And no, don't really care about arguments that in 5e you don't need this or that class to fill certain roles blah blah (this not directed at you). Party-based D&D is about party roles for me.
Posted By: FrostyFardragon Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 08:41 PM
It seems to me that the obvious character from the original game, who could reasonably be expected to still be alive, would be the ever-popular Xan!
Posted By: Sordak Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 19/10/20 10:47 PM
i actually agree that Minsc is a terrible choice or a main character.
Hes a sidekick, there isnt enaugh meat to him to be anyhting but, and there doesnt need to be. There shouldnt be.
Hes not supposed to be serious.
Posted By: Lumign Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 01:33 AM
Minsk is human race.

This game is set 100 years after BG 2.

So what happened? Was he frozen? Magic made him age less? Time travel? (Oh God, please no)
Posted By: Spideyknight Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by Lumign
Minsk is human race.

So what happened? Was he frozen? Magic made him age less? Time travel? (Oh God, please no)

He was turned into a statue for the vast majority of the timespan. You can find a note at Waukeen's Rest saying their "Ranger statue" is missing.
Posted By: dza101 Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by Lumign
Minsk is human race.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Legends_of_Baldur%27s_Gate

a comic series featuring minsc
I don't like Astarion but his interactions with Minsc could be fun. Can Boo smell vampires? We will find out
Posted By: Knoland Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:40 AM
Boo should be given another potion of giant growth! Minsc will be a welcomed addition to this game. Will help make it feel like Baldurs Gate.

“Hop on my sword while you can EVIL!!”
Will Boo and the Owlbear get along?
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:05 AM
Minsc will be a welcome addition to my party -- I need a tank for my wizard to hide behind. But I think the example of Minsc speaks against the PR line that we getting fewer companions than BG2 delivered because the BG3 NPCs are deeper. There ain't much in plumb in Minsc's shallows. What you see is what you get.

Minsc will help it make feel like BG3. As will a total of 17 NPCs.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 06:48 AM
Minsc will be a welcome addition to my party -- I need a tank for my wizard to hide behind. But I think the example of Minsc speaks against the PR line that we getting fewer companions than BG2 delivered because the BG3 NPCs are deeper. There ain't much in plumb in Minsc's shallows. What you see is what you get.

Minsc will help it make feel like BG3. As will a total of 17 NPCs.

You are confusing the companions having involved, multi-layered story arcs with companions have complex personalities. These aren’t the same thing.
Posted By: Razielim0420 Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 06:55 AM
So Minsc lost levels while he was a statue? :hihi:
Posted By: Azarielle Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 02:23 PM
Oh please let the druid companion be Halsin!

If we could get one wish for full release, this would be mine!
Posted By: Warlocke Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Azarielle

If we could get one wish for full release, this would be mine!

There hasn’t been any confirmed Druid companion. The data just shows Minsc, Karlach, and Helia.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/10/20 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Razielim0420
So Minsc lost levels while he was a statue? :hihi:

It happens. Lack of practice and all that, he evidently emerges in need of several years' worth of stretching out and catching up.
Posted By: Azarielle Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 02:53 PM
OMG hope we never meet IRL

I'm dying to see his dialogues with Astarion!
However Minsc romance? smirk
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:01 PM
Minsc only romance is with justice
Posted By: virion Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:04 PM
Good one
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:10 PM

Assuming Minsc is actually in the game, I hope he's a unique type of companion that can't be chosen as an Origin character or romanced. Minsc is the archetype follower, not a leader. I just can't imagine him leading the party. Especially if the MC has an option to take the evil path with the tadpole. That's just not Minsc.

As for romance, I dunno... it would feel weird to have an iconic character like that eager to jump in the sack with the MC. So I hope he's a unique companion choice with some limitations that preserve his BG archetype.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:12 PM

Assuming Minsc is actually in the game, I hope he's a unique type of companion that can't be chosen as an Origin character or romanced. Minsc is the archetype follower, not a leader. I just can't imagine him leading the party. Especially if the MC has an option to take the evil path with the tadpole. That's just not Minsc.

As for romance, I dunno... it would feel weird to have an iconic character like that eager to jump in the sack with the MC. So I hope he's a unique companion choice with some limitations that preserve his BG archetype.

Hope you'r prediction will come true
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:18 PM
Why? That’s ridiculous. Why do you hope the game doesn’t have options you never need to use?

Also, Minsc does go on to lead his own adventuring company. That is in his ToB epilogue.

I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to? But hoping that other people can’t do something you don’t want to do is absurd.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:24 PM
Why? That’s ridiculous. Why do you hope the game doesn’t have options you never need to use?

Also, Minsc does go on to lead his own adventuring company. That is in his ToB epilogue.

I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to? But hoping that other people can’t do something you don’t want to do is absurd.

There are a couple of reasons you should consider:
1. Making Minsc an origin character as opposed to normal companion means dedicating much more resources to it, resources that could be used elsewhere (other companions, Dixit broken quests, improving other aspects of the game)
2. Unlike the rest of the origin characters, Minsc wasn't written specifically to be an origin character. That means that in order to make him one some adjustments are needed. Personally I prefer to keep his character as it was, but that is more a matter of opinion. Maybe you care more about having romance or playing as minsc than to keep his character as it was.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 03:28 PM

There are a couple of reasons you should consider:
1. Making Minsc an origin character as opposed to normal companion means dedicating much more resources to it, resources that could be used elsewhere (other companions, Dixit broken quests, improving other aspects of the game)
2. Unlike the rest of the origin characters, Minsc wasn't written specifically to be an origin character. That means that in order to make him one some adjustments are needed. Personally I prefer to keep his character as it was, but that is more a matter of opinion. Maybe you care more about having romance or playing as minsc than to keep his character as it was.

1. Allocating resources to anything categorically means that those resources can’t be used for something else. I’m well aware of this.
2. This assumption that he will need to be changed in any way is predicated on nothing. Why would he need to be changed?
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:34 PM
2. This assumption that he will need to be changed in any way is predicated on nothing. Why would he need to be changed?

I think the main problem with Minsc as an Origin character is that it looks like the central plot involves offering the MC a choice between using the tadpole powers to become an Evil Power in the world, or else fight it and be a good guy.

That just doesn't line up with Minsc's nature as an established character in the FR lore. He would never take the Evil option.

I'm normally in favor of player agency, and playing "Evil Minsc" might be fun, but in a case like this with a pre-established personality I think it breaks immersion to even have that option with someone like Minsc. It looks like there will be plenty of other ways to play an Evil MC in this game without drawing Minsc into it.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:38 PM
For me, Minsc is too big a character to be playable. He has an established personality and no, I can't see myself playing him as evil. Maybe as a weird one-off, but not for the whole game.

I reckon he'd work best as a quest-giver or someone who the party can turn to for information. Maybe a quest to find Boo.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:42 PM

I think the main problem with Minsc as an Origin character is that it looks like the central plot involves offering the MC a choice between using the tadpole powers to become an Evil Power in the world, or else fight it and be a good guy.

That just doesn't line up with Minsc's nature as an established character in the FR lore. He would never take the Evil option.

I'm normally in favor of player agency, and playing "Evil Minsc" might be fun, but in a case like this with a pre-established personality I think it breaks immersion to even have that option with someone like Minsc. It looks like there will be plenty of other ways to play an Evil MC in this game without drawing Minsc into it.

By that logic we shouldn’t be able to play as Wyll either. Though Wyll is not as righteous as Minsc, Wyll’s personal story involves killing the goblins. He demands you help him do this for him to join you. If you are playing a different main character and don’t kill the goblins, Wyll leaves.

And for that matter, it is totally out of character for Astarion, Lae’zel and Shadowheart to help the refugees. So maybe they shouldn’t be playable character either?

See where I’m going? Minsc’s personality being established in prior games makes no difference. All of the characters have defined convictions and predilections. If that doesn’t stop them from being origin characters, there is no reason it should stop Minsc.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:47 PM
I think that just drawing minsc from a 20 year old game into a new game written by different people in different context means that he wouldn't be the same, unless the writers are super talented (and honestly I don't think Larian's writers are talented enough).
So if only bringing minsc is a very complicated writing work, creating him as an origin character is even more complicated.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:55 PM
I think that just drawing minsc from a 20 year old game into a new game written by different people in different context means that he wouldn't be the same, unless the writers are super talented (and honestly I don't think Larian's writers are talented enough).
So if only bringing minsc is a very complicated writing work, creating him as an origin character is even more complicated.

Hmmm... I strongly disagree with that. Minsc is not a complicated character to write. He is about as easy and straightforward as a character can be. He is big and dumb and runs around saying “evil, meet my sword. Sword, meet evil!” and “butt-kicking for goodness!”

There is nothing complicated about that.
Posted By: Abits Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 04:57 PM

Hmmm... I strongly disagree with that. Minsc is not a complicated character to write. He is about as easy and straightforward as a character can be. He is big and dumb and runs around saying “evil, meet my sword. Sword, meet evil!” and “butt-kicking for goodness!”

True. But you got it backwards, I'm not worried they will ruin him by simplifying him, but by overcomplicating him
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 05:01 PM
The idea of Minsc romance makes me want to superglue my legs together. Agree with most of what has been said here. Leave Minsc as he is and spend resources on other, deeper, characters. A few dialogues about the comic book and the BG 1 & 2 adventures are all we need.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 05:10 PM

True. But you got it backwards, I'm not worried they will ruin him by simplifying him, but by overcomplicating him

Hmmmm... sorry, but no, I didn’t say anything about complicating or simplifying him. You said writing Minsc will be a complicated task, I said that I don’t think it will be because he is so straightforward.

But I don’t think there is a big risk in Larian overcomplicating him. I’m sure they will add a sense of pathos to his character, as Minsc’s naive and binary morality will lend itself well to that, but I’m equally sure that at the end of the day he will be just as silly and transparent as he has always been.
Posted By: Skin Overbone Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 06:35 PM
This warlocke guy "I WANT WHAT I WANT, DON'T YOU DARE DENY MEEE"
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
This warlocke guy "I WANT WHAT I WANT, DON'T YOU DARE DENY MEEE"

😂 citation needed.

How do you get that from this?

“I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to? But hoping that other people can’t do something you don’t want to do is absurd.“
Posted By: Skin Overbone Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 06:47 PM
minsc is for kids

"I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to?"

Don't want him to be in the game at all. Ruins the dark atmosphere we got going on. The less stupid jokes, the better
Posted By: Warlocke Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
minsc is for kids

"I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to?"

Don't want him to be in the game at all. Ruins the dark atmosphere we got going on. The less stupid jokes, the better

That doesn’t address my question about how you arrived at that erroneous interpretation, but okay. You are entitled to your opinion. I’m glade Larian disagrees.
Posted By: Thrythlind Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 07:33 PM
Errrg, I hope note on Minsc...he irritates me. It's a good joke in small doses for me, but I don't want to spend the whole game with it.

I'm seriously hoping Afira is a bard party companion. She's lovely.
Posted By: Icelyn Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 11:19 PM

Agree! I hope Halsin will be added as a full companion.
Posted By: Arideya Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Agree! I hope Halsin will be added as a full companion.

+1 to Halsin.
Posted By: Blade238 Re: The missing companions! - 20/10/20 11:58 PM
I know rumor is Karlach will be a companion, but I sincerely hope not. It's another character whose level makes no sense. She's supposedly a bad ass from Hell and she'd be a level 1-3. Riddle me that. Not a fan of the appearance, voice acting or story either.
Posted By: Arideya Re: The missing companions! - 21/10/20 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Blade238
I know rumor is Karlach will be a companion, but I sincerely hope not. It's another character whose level makes no sense. She's supposedly a bad ass from Hell and she'd be a level 1-3. Riddle me that. Not a fan of the appearance, voice acting or story either.

Not arguing for Karlach here, but it would make sense if she is a bad-ass as long as everyone else is a bad-ass and their level stops meaning much (which is kind of what is happening now, i.e. Astarion is 200 years old, Lae'Zel is an accomplished warrior etc). If we compare to BG1 companions where everyone was low level - only CHARNAME and Imoen were extremely green. Both Jaheira and Khalid were accomplished Harpers and shared adventures with Gorion, Minsc and Dynaheir were relatively seasoned too, Xzar and Montaron were travelled. They were not over the top but they were all fairly experienced, and should have been higher than their starter levels.
Edit: At least if my memory is not failing me heh.
Posted By: Van'tal Re: The missing companions! - 21/10/20 02:47 AM

Yep she is...there is also Helia the dwarf werewolf?

It's official. Larian is incapable of making a single likeable female character that the average male would actually want in their party...100% fail.

The good news is that there are already mods out that are fixing specific problems relating to poor implementation of the 5e rule system.

The bad news is all the time Larian wasted on a romance system that most will never use.

Posted By: Albannach Re: The missing companions! - 21/10/20 02:51 AM
I agree. There are plenty of cartoony games out there for people who enjoy that style.
Posted By: Albannach Re: The missing companions! - 21/10/20 02:56 AM
Agree totally.
Posted By: Gt27mustang Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 01:49 AM
Just bought this last week. For those who still didn't know, Minsc is alive and kicking in 1480DR, thanks to a wild surge!

[img]https://ibb.co/FHb8N61[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/xM9FZHP[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/JH7M97J[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/yFKvScP[/img]
Posted By: BladeDancer Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
Just bought this last week. For those who still didn't know, Minsc is alive and kicking in 1480DR, thanks to a wild surge!

[img]https://ibb.co/FHb8N61[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/xM9FZHP[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/JH7M97J[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/yFKvScP[/img]

Correction: 1488 DR!
Posted By: Vhaldez Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by RPGCODEX
There's three more unused origins in the files, no idea if they'll end up used or not. I think they meant to remove all references to them in the EA build but missed a file.
referred to as
Origin_TheKid
Origin_RedWizard
Origin_Sylvira

Sylvira is a rather important character from descent into avernus btw

These are unrelated to Karlach, Minsc, or Helia(AKA Den leader) btw

oh and there's one referred to as ORIGIN8, but it could be any of the above
There's three more companions in the files; "The Kid" who is rumoured to be the Bhaalspawn's child (although there is no concrete evidence), Sylvira who is probably Sylvira Savikas and a "Red Wizard" who could be any of the named Red Wizards from FR lore. This last person may or may not be a lich, as Ethel has a number of mockery lines referring to his unnatural state and bandages.
Posted By: Maldurin Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Van'tal

It's official. Larian is incapable of making a single likeable female character that the average male would actually want in their party...100% fail.

Its not that they are incapable, Lohse and Sebille in DOS II prove that, its just that they seem to not want it. However im with you and would live an companion like Alfira.
Posted By: Tarlonniel Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
"The Kid" who is rumoured to be the Bhaalspawn's child (although there is concrete evidence)

Please no. Especially if they're the child of *shudder* Abdel Adrian.
Posted By: 1varangian Re: The missing companions! - 20/11/20 02:53 PM
Are they really going to

drop Minsc on that beach?

He's supposed to be an epic level character.

How's that going to make sense? I hope this doesn't backfire horribly.
Posted By: Vhaldez Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
"The Kid" who is rumoured to be the Bhaalspawn's child (although there is concrete evidence)

Whoops, I meant NO concrete evidence.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 04:19 PM
The only thing that bothers me is Helia. People keep saying it's a place holder, but I don't think it is. I think people automatically just can't believe how off putting it is to have a granny companion and taking a dump on romance options for dudes and she is rummored to be a bard too.

Besides new dialogue and barbarians, its the only thing i'm waiting for official footage of in action of because that's crazy.
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 04:29 PM
Not going to read 12 pages but can someone tell me if anyone in the thread has been sad that it doesn't look look like their particular horny fantasies are going to be catered to? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 04:34 PM
Keep it friendly now.
Posted By: Innateagle Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 04:54 PM

It'd be kinda cool if there was some descendant of Charname, and they made them completely customizable. There's already the dream thing anyway and i seem to remember companions in DoS:2 being customizable too.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 05:56 PM
maybe "the kid" will be the one you dream of?
Posted By: Abits Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 05:58 PM
A little pedophilic
Posted By: Gt27mustang Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 20/11/20 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by BladeDancer

Correction: 1488 DR!

My bad!
Posted By: Tarlonniel Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Innateagle
It'd be kinda cool if there was some descendant of Charname, and they made them completely customizable.

That would be better, but I'd like it if Larian stayed away as much as possible from canonizing things about CHARNAME, including potential offspring. The more they define, they more my character becomes their character, and I'll always prefer my version.
Posted By: Rhobar121 Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Innateagle
It'd be kinda cool if there was some descendant of Charname, and they made them completely customizable.

That would be better, but I'd like it if Larian stayed away as much as possible from canonizing things about CHARNAME, including potential offspring. The more they define, they more my character becomes their character, and I'll always prefer my version.

Technically, Abdel Adrian is current canon
Posted By: Tarlonniel Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Technically, Abdel Adrian is current canon.

La la la! Can't hear you!

Oh, and Bhaal is totally still dead, and my CHARNAME is chilling with his power as the new god of... something. Is there an ice cream domain?
Posted By: BladeDancer Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Technically, Abdel Adrian is current canon.

La la la! Can't hear you!

Oh, and Bhaal is totally still dead, and my CHARNAME is chilling with his power as the new god of... something. Is there an ice cream domain?

Whoa, chill!

I hate to break it to you, but Bhaal is canonically back because a certain child of Bhaal who survived the events of Throne of Bhaal and Abdel fought each other. Oh, and whether you argue Abdel was the canon identity of the game protagonist or not (I ARGUE IT IS NOT), it is canon that the game protagonist never ascended to godhood, because WotC has strict rules for D&D authors and game developers to follow: The characters from the novels and games are not allowed to make extreme changes in the Forgotten Realms, especially in the pantheon of Faerunian gods. If your version of Gorion's Ward was evil aligned, it's best that he/she didn't become a god and take the Lord of Murder title from Cyric, because he still had that title 15 years after Throne of Bhaal when he and Shar caused the Spellplague.

Oh, and the reason why I argue that Abdel is a different character from the game protagonist is because of the way Siege of Dragonspear ended. The people of Baldur's Gate would NEVER see Abdel as a hero, OR elect him as a Grand Duke during Murder in Baldur's Gate after figuring out he is a Bhaalspawn, and after accusing him of a murder he never committed, forcing him to leave Baldur's Gate like the Shadows of Amn intro cutscene hinted at. My point is Abdel is a false hero. Throughout the Baldur's Gate games, the game protagonist becomes a disgraced hero in the eyes of Baldur's Gate and the city Saradush. The authorities of Baldur's Gate appointed Abdel as the hero who killed Sarevok even if he was never involved in fighting the Iron Throne. That can happen, you know, the real hero being erased from the history books to be replaced by some other guy. Not all heroes get the fame and recognition they deserve.
Posted By: Tarlonniel Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 03:21 AM
Whoa, chill!

I've created the first god of ice cream. How can I get more chill than that?
Posted By: BladeDancer Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 03:23 AM
Whoa, chill!

Good point.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 03:26 AM
Whoa, chill!

You've won the thread.
Posted By: Tarlonniel Re: SPOILERS The missing companions! - 21/11/20 03:34 AM
Whoa, chill!

You've won the thread.

Cool. Tops it with hot fudge.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: The missing companions! - 22/11/20 04:08 PM
I did not read everything above, so just my 2 cents:

- I met Karlach and from her dialogue it looks like she really is a companion.
If you do not speak with the dead you do not know the paladins work for an archdevil, so there is a good chance players kill her without ever knowing she could be a companion.
Well, she is less hidden then Nordom from PST for example. ( did anyone find him without a guide ? )

- Any idea why Minsc is still alive after 100 years? He is human and no archmage or another big power that can axtend his life.
Don´t tell me he has a toadpole too, there is no brain to be eaten ;-)
Posted By: Sadurian Re: The missing companions! - 22/11/20 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Madscientist
- Any idea why Minsc is still alive after 100 years? He is human and no archmage or another big power that can axtend his life.

The story so far is
that he has been turned to stone. During the game (or just before?), he gets returned to flesh.

Boo's fate is so far unconfirmed, but there would be a riot were he not to appear.
Posted By: Gt27mustang Re: The missing companions! - 23/11/20 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Madscientist

The story so far is
that he has been turned to stone. During the game (or just before?), he gets returned to flesh.

Boo's fate is so far unconfirmed, but there would be a riot were he not to appear.

In the comic book, when Minsc gets un-petrified, Boo is there, and lets's just say he still GO FOR THE EYES!!! Litterally...
Posted By: TrollishMcTroll Re: The missing companions! - 23/11/20 08:32 PM
Sorry if this has been previously answered - but what about the other long-lived characters from the previous BG games?

Any word on Viconia, Aerie, Jaheira?
Posted By: Sozz Re: The missing companions! - 23/11/20 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll
Sorry if this has been previously answered - but what about the other long-lived characters from the previous BG games?

Outlook not good friend Baldur's Gate/Throne of Bhaal continuity / FR Chronological Continuity
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 12:33 AM
I'm a little confused about Karlach. She said she escaped the blood war right or something like that? Was the ship in avernus that long for her to make a plan to stow away, get caught then implanted, then escape again all while the attacks are happening all over the ship? What am I missing? Does she really have a tadpole? If she is an origin companion then something is off or I'm just missing something.
Posted By: TrollishMcTroll Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Sozz

Outlook not good friend Baldur's Gate/Throne of Bhaal continuity / FR Chronological Continuity

Did they die in the canon? I can't find anything on them post BG2 one way or another with the exception of Viconia who apparently founded a cult or somesuch.
Posted By: Verte Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
I'm a little confused about Karlach. She said she escaped the blood war right or something like that? Was the ship in avernus that long for her to make a plan to stow away, get caught then implanted, then escape again all while the attacks are happening all over the ship? What am I missing? Does she really have a tadpole? If she is an origin companion then something is off or I'm just missing something.

Didn't she had a tadpole scene or I remember it wrong? Perhaps she just lied, fake pallies were after her since some time, she may have escaped BW earlier than she claimed. Mindflayers rather not kidnapped people during chase in Avernus, they were too busy.
Posted By: Sozz Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Sozz

Did they die in the canon? I can't find anything on them post BG2 one way or another with the exception of Viconia who apparently founded a cult or somesuch.
I haven't been to any of the spoilery threads, but I seem to remember from these threads that between two world reboots, WotC generally avoiding the topic, and the possibility of incorporating the Abdel novelization canon that there would be nothing like the kind of continuity between the games than I was hoping for.

I personally think that they're going to leave it ambiguous so nobody's fate will explicitly be stated. It was also pointed out by someone that all Viconia's epilogues ended with her being murdered, of course those were certainly written without any thought to a possible sequel. The end result is, there's speculation abound but nothing to point to any serious link with the continuity of the first two games, apart from the very broad top-level lore (like Bhaal being brought back in 4e)
Posted By: Tarlonniel Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Verte
Didn't she had a tadpole scene or I remember it wrong?

She does have a tadpole scene. Maybe the nautiloid made regular trips through Avernus and she hitched a ride on a previous pass, got caught and got tadpoled? Seems unlikely, but her story makes no sense otherwise.
Posted By: Verte Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Verte
Didn't she had a tadpole scene or I remember it wrong?

She does have a tadpole scene. Maybe the nautiloid made regular trips through Avernus and she hitched a ride on a previous pass, got caught and got tadpoled? Seems unlikely, but her story makes no sense otherwise.

If they are taking tadpoled people to the Moonrise, then she wouldn't escape her fate as absolute's puppet so easily. My bet is she was already on the run and got caught outside of Hells by the same nautilod because she's an origin. I doubt they have prepared another start than one on the ship.
Posted By: Rieline Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 01:54 AM
I have no love for Karlach if i wanted a nice tiefling companion i would love if that would be Alfira.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: The missing companions! - 24/11/20 02:20 AM
Maybe she is spy and the whole paladin hunters is a miss direction to get Karlach closer MC at Karlach's expense of course. Zariel would be a sly fox then. Theories aside I guess I'll go through her voice lines to see if anything makes sense. I'm guessing she is yet another habitual deceiver. Can anyone try detect thoughts and speak with dead on her? I'm curious.

Edit: I can see why she is not really popular yet. She is not bad or good as a character so far from her voice lines and brief scenes. The only thing I found out was that she is trying to be a bro or at least act friendly-ish and she worships Shar. Politicians were what originally killed her, but her being sent to hell says more about her though. Nothing particularly interesting so far.
© Larian Studios forums