Larian Studios
Posted By: OneManArmy Dragon rider Lae'zel - 21/10/20 02:00 AM
As we know, red dragons are an important part of Githyanki culture.
Has anyone had any thoughts about a big fire breathing Lae'zels friend?

Yes, she is not a high-ranking member of society Githyanki for now, but everything can change during the game.
Also, you can think about it if your main character is Gityanki too

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 12:02 AM
Guys, I know that there are people who like Liezel. I would like to discuss her too smile
Isn't anyone interested?
Posted By: spaceweed10â„¢ Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Guys, I know that there are people who like Liezel. I would like to discuss her too smile
Isn't anyone interested?

Lae'zel is a particularly unpleasant individual and I'm looking forward to the moment I decide to embed my daggers in her kidneys...
Posted By: SunTzu Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 01:08 AM
That depends if she can survive being shoved off the Ship.

OP I think barely anyone likes Lae'zael.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢

Lae'zel is a particularly unpleasant individual and I'm looking forward to the moment I decide to embed my daggers in her kidneys...

Well, that makes you incredibly pleasant and well adjusted, in contrast.

Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 01:58 AM
I'm not a huge fan of her, but I found it strange that most of the players didn't like her. It seemed to me that this was exactly the character on which Larian bet.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 02:09 AM
I'm not a huge fan of her, but I found it strange that most of the players didn't like her. It seemed to me that this was exactly the character on which Larian bet.

Honestly I found most of the initial complaints about the companions absolutely blown out of proportion, in general (and I say "initial" because now people are slowing warming on them and that background noise is mostly gone), but I have to say that she in particular makes pretty damn hard to relate with her openly belligerent attitude.
Posted By: benbaxter Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by SunTzu
That depends if she can survive being shoved off the Ship.

OP I think barely anyone likes Lae'zael.

You can just kill her when she threatens you from her cage. Like seriously, all she had to do was say please. Why would I help her over the two much nicer tieflings? She's a gith with a tadpole, just put her down; that's what she would want to do to anyone else anyway.
Posted By: Sozz Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 02:51 AM
Much like the most interesting part of Dragon Age II to me was the Qunari who view all non-Qun culture as chaotic and frivolous, kept going only by a few exceptional individuals; Isn't the clash of cultures part of the draw in D&D?

I'm really looking forward to learning more about Githyanki society and how it creates characters like Lae'zel, who we've already seen betrayed by her people, the start of an interesting arc, right?

Posted By: Popsculpture Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 02:51 AM
I like Lae'zael but I also really like the Githyanki lore and culture in general. I feel like they captured what it is to be in the service of the Litch Queen Vlaakith and strive for her approval.
Posted By: Xatasha Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 02:57 AM
She looks and acts like a female grinch https://www.pinterest.com/pin/324540716895078227/
Posted By: GladeusExMachina Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 03:18 AM
I want to like her, and she's quite an interesting example of her culture, but she's basically 90% diametrically opposed in approval/disapproval with Shadowheart, which makes party dynamics too hard to juggle.
Posted By: Svalr Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 03:36 AM
Isn't anyone interested?

I think that she's one of the characters that will grow on you more the further into the game you get.
Not all characters are as approachable from the get go.
Posted By: trengilly Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 04:30 AM
I like Lae'zel, well I like all the companions . . . I guess Wyll being the least interesting.

Originally Posted by GladeusExMachina
I want to like her, and she's quite an interesting example of her culture, but she's basically 90% diametrically opposed in approval/disapproval with Shadowheart, which makes party dynamics too hard to juggle.

Having both Lae'zel and Shadowheart in the same party is fun, I love their banter. It's not overly difficult to keep them both happy. They are both pragmatic. You can avoid most of the negative hits by being neutral in dialogue. You can do all the good helping people things you just can't begin the conversations with the "I will gladly help you with whatever you need" options.

My mostly neutral warlock had to choose between Lae'zel and Shadowheart for a romance partner.
Posted By: FaultyValve Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 05:14 AM
I actually like her alot. she's loyal to her people and her queen, yet is only semi reluctant to help other races to fight the illithids. joins our quests readily. and SPOILERS...... when the other gith are A-holes at the bridge, side with you.
I believe she is a young idealistic githyanki who believes her people are good and will, as the story goes on, learn that her queen is an evil tyrant (again spoilers).
did anyone else play/read the dungeon mag campaign where the githyanki invaded faerun and it ended with the party fighting the githyanki queen?
Lae'zel is a great character and I can't wait to see where they take her.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 05:35 AM
Regarding the title of the topic: would you like her to have a dragon pet?
Posted By: Hachina Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tuco

Honestly I found most of the initial complaints about the companions absolutely blown out of proportion, in general (and I say "initial" because now people are slowing warming on them and that background noise is mostly gone), but I have to say that she in particular makes pretty damn hard to relate with her openly belligerent attitude.

Forum seems to be very vulnerable to crowd effect. One complaint, people are like ''oh yeah that might be true'' and they mutually reinforce their negative feeling.
Posted By: Kendaric Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 07:50 AM
While I wouldn't say I like Lae'zel as a companion, I like the way she's written. The way she behaves feels pretty much spot on to me.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 09:14 AM
Lae'zel is an interesting companion in the sense her personality is awful but she can be a formidable asset in combat. So it's a challenge as a player to compromise on the fact she has too many balls and no compassion whatsoever and taking her on your journey because she can destroy bosses like it's nobody's business.
Posted By: Vhaldez Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 09:50 AM
I hate Lae'Zel. Maybe if they remove her "ooh you wish you could bed me player" lines at the party if your approval is not high enough I could be pursuaded to change my mind. That or allow us to assert an uncomfortable amount of dominance over her.
Posted By: Sharet Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 10:02 AM
Let's be honest. No one likes Lae'zel. How could you like someone treating you like shit all the time if you are not suffering from some form of Stoccolm's Syndrome?

That say, I really like how she is written. She is well defined, coherent with her culture and I saw at least a hint of personal grought throughout the first act. So, even if I find her attitude extremely unpleasant, I certainly appreciate her as a character from an "artistic" standpoint.

And no, I don't wish for her to have a pet dragon, I'm afraid it wod mean just more surface effects xD
Posted By: Rhovaniel Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 10:34 AM
I dislike Lae'zel too, but not really any more than the others party characters. They are all pretty terrible. In fact, Lae'zel is one of the better ones. (I dislike Astarion the most).
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 10:49 AM
Of course Larian will write her into being a red dragon rider because they don't care about the lore and aren't actual longtime D&D fans so their gold standard for writing hinges on cool factor. Look at how they've written things in so far and it's easy to see this trend emerge as only things that are cool or grand standing are implemented while everything around it that would not fit the narrative of the story is ignored or altered. It doesn't really matter anymore what the lore says or how D&D works because much like Blizzard and WoW Larian are trying to appeal to everyone and not have a target audience and they think this is the way forward despite this being the thing that decimated WoW.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Rhovaniel
I dislike Lae'zel too, but not really any more than the others party characters. They are all pretty terrible. In fact, Lae'zel is one of the better ones. (I dislike Astarion the most).

From what I have read so far in this forum, Astarion has to be the most disliked companion. Personally, I have done 3 playthroughs, and I either killed him or left him to rot in my camp. I just can't stand the way he talks and his manners. He's too over the top evil to be interesting.

Lae'zel is a githyanki and thinks all other races are inferior to her, hence the way she behaves.
Posted By: TheAscendent Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 11:16 AM
I wonder how she would react to a Red Dragonborn or a Red Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer.
Posted By: Azarielle Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Nyanko

From what I have read so far in this forum, Astarion has to be the most disliked companion. Personally, I have done 3 playthroughs, and I either killed him or left him to rot in my camp. I just can't stand the way he talks and his manners. He's too over the top evil to be interesting.

Lae'zel is a githyanki and thinks all other races are inferior to her, hence the way she behaves.

I wonder, have you ever tried taking him along? He will mostly disapprove when you're running around offering to take out the trash for everyone you meet, however if you take a slightly less eager approach to the "good route" he'll be on board most of the time. For some reason he even approves when you offer to save Mayrina.

As for the Dragon rider - sure I could see that making sense for some path in her epilogue, definitely not in-game however.
Posted By: BuckettMonkey Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 11:52 AM
It seems to me that in the full game there will be an opportunity to soften the character of Lae'zel.
In the event of a romance or the discovery of the secret of Vlaakith (Well, what she does with strong ambitious githyanki), she could, I don't know, join Sha'sal Khou, urging the gith to unite again to fight the illithids.
Or maybe there will be an opportunity to increase her xenophobia and bloodlust.
In any case, I'm sure she will get a dragon in one of the endings.
Posted By: Ixal Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 01:05 PM
You know that the relation between gith and red dragons is strictly business and that they don't exactly like each other?
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Originally Posted by Nyanko

I wonder, have you ever tried taking him along? He will mostly disapprove when you're running around offering to take out the trash for everyone you meet, however if you take a slightly less eager approach to the "good route" he'll be on board most of the time. For some reason he even approves when you offer to save Mayrina.

As for the Dragon rider - sure I could see that making sense for some path in her epilogue, definitely not in-game however.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder why companions approve or disapprove what you do. I've been essentially running the game with Shadowheart and sometimes she approves some stuff I just don't understand why, cause it's like a 180 degres to what she usually agrees to.
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 01:24 PM
@Nyanko
Bad writers.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Sharet
Let's be honest. No one likes Lae'zel. How could you like someone treating you like shit all the time if you are not suffering from some form of Stoccolm's Syndrome?

Actually, one of my characters would really like her. She is very driven, doesn't mince words and doesn't like weakness. Sometimes being rude or blunt gets a point across faster than trying to find the words to not hurt feelings. As a player I can understand where she is coming from. I like all the companions in some way although there are some things about all of them that irritate me as well. Much like real people, there is always that something.

It would be nice to see her have a dragon by the end if that is what she wants.
Posted By: rodeolifant Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 03:36 PM
I rather like her, but I suspect she'll be way more fun in the latter part of the game. She's kind of like Viconia, who turned out to be my favourite companion in BG2. She's very set in her ways, but will open up eventually. At least, that's what I suspect.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I rather like her, but I suspect she'll be way more fun in the latter part of the game. She's kind of like Viconia, who turned out to be my favourite companion in BG2. She's very set in her ways, but will open up eventually. At least, that's what I suspect.

I think Viconia was compared to all the female characters in the first act on this forum, but it's not bad
Posted By: Osprey39 Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Xatasha
She looks and acts like a female grinch https://www.pinterest.com/pin/324540716895078227/

LOL! I named my male gith Grinch. They do bear a strong resemblance to him, don't they?
Posted By: Nabbs Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 04:58 PM
People saying they don't like or they hate Lae'zel et al. That is fine cause she hates you too. This is a roleplaying game.

I wish some would realize she is a Gith, they hate everyone, you are all beneath them. You should choose not to be offended with how she acts because that is all she knows and as far as she is concerned you are alive because of her. Its normal to hate gith if you aren't one but clearly advantageous to have one on your side fighting the thing she has fought her whole life. Different cultures man. When I play a Lolth-Sworn Drow I completely love her as I basically talk to everyone the same way heh.

All this companion hate is silly. If you are a dwarf and every survivor was a dwarf and acted the same way I could understand the companion complaints but these are all random with completely different races and alignments so its natural to not be BFF's right away. .. also, you know you can tell them to kick rocks when you meet them right? They will gladly do so, so if you keep them you clearly need their help more than they need yours. I have already removed a couple people because they weren't trustworthily

I saw a post where the person said they felt like they were walking in the shadow of greatness being with these companions. Because they all have a huge backstory and they are hero's already and you are just some dude(dudet) that finds them. Well this is DnD its up to you to write your own backstory. Also these are all the characters with origin playthroughs so yeah.

I don't want the game makers to tell me who I am. There are too many games that force tell you who to be. Skyrim will tell you who you are and it gets old fast aren't you tired of that? Its so refreshing not being told you are the hero without even doing anything. Starting a game where No one knows you is amazing to me. Use your imagination for crying out loud and think of your own background for the character you play. My character feels like they are all in the backseat as I was a hero before ever meeting them and have a mission and act as such while playing. I also deal with the outcomes based on the way I act gladly taking the harder path just because I wouldn't bow down.

Different genre but if you ever watched the movie "predators" a bunch of bad people were dumped in a jungle and it was up to the leader to make them all play nice for the better good of getting out of their alive and strength in numbers so to speak. This is the same idea.

Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by Sharet

Actually, one of my characters would really like her. She is very driven, doesn't mince words and doesn't like weakness. Sometimes being rude or blunt gets a point across faster than trying to find the words to not hurt feelings. As a player I can understand where she is coming from. I like all the companions in some way although there are some things about all of them that irritate me as well. Much like real people, there is always that something.

It would be nice to see her have a dragon by the end if that is what she wants.

Totally agree. Hopefully she gets to go home.
Posted By: TheOtter Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 25/10/20 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
I wonder how she would react to a Red Dragonborn or a Red Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer.

She's gonna want to ride that red Dragonborn.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 26/10/20 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Nabbs
People saying they don't like or they hate Lae'zel et al. That is fine cause she hates you too. This is a roleplaying game.

I wish some would realize she is a Gith, they hate everyone, you are all beneath them. You should choose not to be offended with how she acts because that is all she knows and as far as she is concerned you are alive because of her. Its normal to hate gith if you aren't one but clearly advantageous to have one on your side fighting the thing she has fought her whole life. Different cultures man. When I play a Lolth-Sworn Drow I completely love her as I basically talk to everyone the same way heh.

All this companion hate is silly. If you are a dwarf and every survivor was a dwarf and acted the same way I could understand the companion complaints but these are all random with completely different races and alignments so its natural to not be BFF's right away. .. also, you know you can tell them to kick rocks when you meet them right? They will gladly do so, so if you keep them you clearly need their help more than they need yours. I have already removed a couple people because they weren't trustworthily

I saw a post where the person said they felt like they were walking in the shadow of greatness being with these companions. Because they all have a huge backstory and they are hero's already and you are just some dude(dudet) that finds them. Well this is DnD its up to you to write your own backstory. Also these are all the characters with origin playthroughs so yeah.

I don't want the game makers to tell me who I am. There are too many games that force tell you who to be. Skyrim will tell you who you are and it gets old fast aren't you tired of that? Its so refreshing not being told you are the hero without even doing anything. Starting a game where No one knows you is amazing to me. Use your imagination for crying out loud and think of your own background for the character you play. My character feels like they are all in the backseat as I was a hero before ever meeting them and have a mission and act as such while playing. I also deal with the outcomes based on the way I act gladly taking the harder path just because I wouldn't bow down.

This exactly.

Being the most important person in the world gets rather tiresome. But looking at how a lot of people act nowadays, filled with illusionary self importance and their desperate need for attention, it is no wonder that these types want to be the only person of importance in their games and get upset when npcs don't treat them like royalty. I would rather create my own backstory (without having to use mods, thanks Bethesda) and if I want to be important to any npcs then I should have to work for it. Or just not be important at all, just like everyone else, because a bear or starvation or a headshot can kill anyone no matter how great they think they are. smile

Back to Lae'zel and the hate for her, perhaps people should do research on her culture then mentally place themselves in that environment. Then there should be more understanding of why she is that way. Doesn't mean people will suddenly like her but at least there would be more than the judgmental reaction of "waah she is mean to me so I don't like her."
Posted By: Arideya Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 26/10/20 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Zarna

Being the most important person in the world gets rather tiresome. But looking at how a lot of people act nowadays, filled with illusionary self importance and their desperate need for attention, it is no wonder that these types want to be the only person of importance in their games and get upset when npcs don't treat them like royalty. I would rather create my own backstory (without having to use mods, thanks Bethesda) and if I want to be important to any npcs then I should have to work for it. Or just not be important at all, just like everyone else, because a bear or starvation or a headshot can kill anyone no matter how great they think they are. smile

Back to Lae'zel and the hate for her, perhaps people should do research on her culture then mentally place themselves in that environment. Then there should be more understanding of why she is that way. Doesn't mean people will suddenly like her but at least there would be more than the judgmental reaction of "waah she is mean to me so I don't like her."

I think there is a difference between wanting a power fantasy of being the Saviour of the UniverseTM and hating companions for not immediately liking your Saviour of the UniverseTM. I would like the character to be the center of the story and the story to be about them primarily (similar to BG1 and 2), but I do love characters that do not immediately fall at your protagonist's feet and suck up to them. I just want the options of disagreeing with them and talking back, which I feel like the game offers even in the current state.
Lae'Zel is one of my top favorite characters in the game, and it will be really painful to decide who to keep in the party if the rumors of locked party are true. She will definitely stay till the end though. Don't really care if she gets a dragon or not, but if she does - it will be really cool to see.
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 26/10/20 02:21 AM
Lae'zel is one of the only two companions I actually like, excluding future companions.

Gale is not my taste with his grandeur and who he's been dating.
Shadowheart is also unnecessarily rude, but at least Lae'zel is sort of "kind" for a Githyanki, and she alo focuses on the right things like the cure.
Astarion is... well, the amount of times he's almost(*) killed me is just too much, plus he's evil just to be cruel.

Wyll pretends he's some sort of hero while he uses borrowed power, but he's still a decent person, not too much one way.
And Lae'zel as I said, at least focuses on the objective, and.. Githyanki are usually a lot ruder than her, all things considered she's very friendly for one of her kin.

Shadowheart and Lae are often compared, but Shadow really is that annoying sassy kind of rude, one of the worst character traits you can have imo.
Posted By: Arideya Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 26/10/20 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by GloriousZote

And Lae'zel as I said, at least focuses on the objective, and.. Githyanki are usually a lot ruder than her, all things considered she's very friendly for one of her kin.

Shadowheart and Lae are often compared, but Shadow really is that annoying sassy kind of rude, one of the worst character traits you can have imo.

My biggest gripe with Shadowheart is not her character but her voice actually. The actress did a great job, but sometimes to me she just sounds extremely young.
Even Lae'Zel's voice sounds too girlish, but she makes up for it with bad-assery. Shadow is like a little lost sister that hates you on the outside but secretly just wants to be given a hug.
I initially thought they'd both be given deeper and more mature voices.
Posted By: PumatsHole Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 26/10/20 04:13 AM
Lae'zel is bae, Lae'zel is life. She is truly the only companion I am genuinely interested in helping to advance their interests. How fun is an ice cold alien badass with a superiority complex? Get this gith a dragon already!
Posted By: Nabbs Re: Dragon rider Lae'zel - 27/10/20 09:00 PM
Lae'zel is amazing and by her culture she is actually very nice heh. She even gives you more complements than any of the other chars as long as you don't appear weak. I feel Lae'zel may end up being even better when it sinks in that even her own people will think she is weak for having a tadpole problem.. like "how could you let yourself be captured?"

Lae'zel love her
© Larian Studios forums