Larian Studios
Posted By: VagabondJoeBags Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 10:11 PM

First off, I know this is early access and we have a long way to go but is the game full of tons of unused stuff and not very challenging?

I've put in a good 60 hours or so and it seems that I made though most of chapter 1. What I have found is that I hardly use the inventory and magic in the game. For weapons and armor, sure I use the best that comes along but for potions, poisons, scrolls, and all the other inventory, I rarely use it. I eat food all the time though. For spells, I rarely use those too since I keep thinking that I need to save the for a tough situation when I can't return to camp. The only scroll I use is the one to raise the dead. I do routinely use the cantrips although they tend to be the same ones. Is dipping or knock unconscious even needed for anything?

In the end, I collect a ton of stuff but never need it. I am really surprised how little spells are needed. Perhaps I am not being adventurous enough and not experimenting but the game's challenge should lead me into thinking more.

I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?

Btw, I am playing a warlock.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 10:15 PM
Well, it's the kind of problem I have with this game too. If I want a challenge, I play solo or with two characters.

I think we have to wait for more difficulty levels. I do hope we will get an equivalent to tactical difficulty in DOS 2 with ironman one save option.

But yeah it's kind of sad you have spell casters and you don't need much of their kit to go through your journey.
Posted By: Danielbda Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 10:19 PM
Well I don't think that not using Magic and consumables always is a problem. One of the reasons I hated DOS1 was that I needed to use consumables and ressurection scrolls in every fight.
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 10:32 PM
It starts out quite hard then gets easier as your metagame knowledge increases - like many video games
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 10:44 PM
I had a slight struggle on my first playthrough because I didn't realize how critical positioning and lighting was, but once I figured it out, I never really felt in danger until the "end" when things were higher level than I was.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 11:19 PM
I agree, it's pretty easy right now. Even the hardest encounters are pretty easy. For certain players. Original poster is obviously one of those players, as am I, and some others on this forum. However, we are the minority. I've seen far more posts or comments, here and on the subreddit and on Twitch and YouTube, saying that the game is too HARD, than I have ones saying that it's easy.

This is why games have difficulty settings, and why BG3 will have difficulty settings.

I just hope that there is some option for difficulty which doesn't JUST make the monsters have more HP and do more damage, but also which reduces the amount of wealth and resources you can accumulate. Because right now, you can accumulate a WHOLE LOT.

See my detailed post about this: THE HAUL
Posted By: Soul-Scar Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 11:26 PM
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal
Lower ground - ultra hard
Higher ground - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!! HE-MAN!

Conclusion? DOS.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 09/11/20 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Conclusion? Real life, pretty much.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 12:16 AM
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Could have said "High Ground- Obi-Wan" and achieved comedy gold, but you had to go the tired old troll route.
Posted By: Soul-Scar Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

Originally Posted by Tzelanit

Could have said "High Ground- Obi-Wan" and achieved comedy gold, but you had to go the tired old troll route.

I don't watch trek wars so I only the know the reference to take the piss out of it.
Posted By: Topgoon Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 12:36 AM
The game is rather easy right now due to unlimited resting. You don't really need consumables because you can always engage at 100% for free. You build up tons of economic/loot momentum and the game snowballs from there.

That's why I'm really hoping the game difficulty will be more than just monsters having bloated stats. I'd prefer a system where you can increase the macro difficulty too - i.e. resting options/requirements, # of short rest, etc.

But if they are going to implement that, Larian will need to improve their difficulty settings from DOS 2, since people will have varying taste. Hopefully they'll need more customization options (instead of just story classic, tactician) - maybe something like Kingmaker with various option sliders.
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 12:50 AM

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

i love this post since it tries so hard but since it would be ms^-2 rather than ms^2 its an epic self own
Posted By: RumRunner151 Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 12:52 AM
I am hoping for a complex set of difficulty sliders/toggles. No a simple seting with 3 or 4 choices. Ability to turn off height advantage, turn off ground effects, limit resting, Pass all dialog rolls, etc.

PS if you are looking for a challenge. Solo it w/out playing cheese wiz, barrelmancer, etc. It is QUITE challenging IMO.
Posted By: DanteYoda Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 01:38 AM
I found it to be incredibly hard.. and tedious in some areas.. Not trolling i have died a lot, mostly due to bad bugs and poor non D&D 5th edition mechanics.

Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Apparently you've never used a real weapon in your life lol 😂
Posted By: FaultyValve Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 01:55 AM
A couple gripes I have with the fights/ AI (besides my usual flying minotaurs rant) are even supposed dumb monsters and animals seem to prioritize characters with active concentration spells AND most encounters will prioritize downed characters over ones that are still threats...even though they have NOOOOO reason to think I can bring them back into the fight. I would say, if an enemy is smart enough to heal or help their allies when they're downed then they're smart enough to finish off my downed characters, but if they're not then why is that prioritized. Smart enemies that know I have a healer, sure. The rest? Gimme a break. The same applies to the concentration spell comment. If they can cast spells or are at least aware of how they work, sure.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

i love this post since it tries so hard but since it would be ms^-2 rather than ms^2 its an epic self own

Flawless victory.
Posted By: Abits Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 06:42 AM
I think it's easy right now as well. I didn't think too much of how many items or magic I use, I just noticed that I tend to kill everything quite easily, and most of the hardships I had came from limitations I placed on myself ( good example would be win the helm's deep battle but keep Zavlor alive to celebrate with us). There are exactly two hard battles in the game- the spider queen and the minotaurs. The spider queen was only really impossible if I was undrleveled and the minotaurs have specific strategies you need in order to win. Other than that you have the gith patrol that is very hard but doable.

I think it's important when I say it's easy because usually when I play crpgs I play on easy or normal and even then I find most of them to be very hard.

And I never use any cheese or barrelmancy or stuff like that.

Some things I also never do in my playthroughs - I never fight the devil on the ship or the red dragon.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:10 AM
The minotaurs are a bit overhyped, to me. They did a total of 7 points of damage to my party. And I didn't use barrels, wyvern poison, scrolls, potions of speed or strength, ogre-summoning horn, Glut or Glut zombies, stealth exploiting, crate towers, or anything else cheesy. (Didn't even have any of the magic items from the Underdark yet.)
Posted By: Tarorn Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:34 AM
Ok ...I have no doubt that some of you guys are more proficient at gaming - I have been gaming for 30+ years and I’m gloriously average.
However I do find it amusing when people say it’s to easy & they are clearly abusing the resting mechanics - sure if I rest after every scrap I’d find it easier too - but I don’t - where is the fun and challenge in that?
And please do not hit me with the - well the game allows it line ....
If your good - genuinely good hats off to you & yes harder modes will be what you need.
Otherwise your just as mediocre as the rest of us.
Posted By: vometia Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:35 AM

ms⁻²? I love my compose key, etc. Other than that, I dunno, I got a grade E at A-level physics 34 years ago and now remember even less than I did during the exams.
Posted By: Holokom Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by VagabondJoeBags

In the end, I collect a ton of stuff but never need it. I am really surprised how little spells are needed. Perhaps I am not being adventurous enough and not experimenting but the game's challenge should lead me into thinking more.

I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?

The Problem is that you are comparing this to much to Divinity OS 2. In that game you absolutly needed magic and just could not solve some puzzles that required magic. (I Remember looking for lightning spellscrolls because i needed to charge some catalyst)

In DnD however it is not guaranteed that you will have Spell casting, yet alone "Arcane" Spellcasting on your team. So all puzzles need to be solvable without them. Same goes for Baldurs Gate 3. If you think about all classes you can get at the end.

Fighter
Rouge
Monk
Barbarian
Ranger
Paladin
Cleric
(Bloodhunter ?)

I could make up a party of up to seven + people, each one from a Different Class, and none of them would be able to produce Fire with a cantrip. (Rangers and Paladins dont learn Cantrips, Clerics dont get firebolt, and Fighter/Rouge only if they take specific Subclasses, that the Player might not like)

So jeah, i am actually happy with the current idea about riddles, since i dont want to be forced again to build a full on magic caster just to solve game elements.
Posted By: VincentNZ Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:58 AM
As said in my own thread, I find the game too hard, because I do not know D&D mechanics, do not know DOS mechanics and the game does not want to tell me a whole lot.
Technically I do not find the game too hard, I find the mechanics frustrating that prevent me from doing better without extensive knowledge. The UI is subpar, the movement is awful and the game never told me some tricks needed to prevail. Add ot that, that you are mostly outnumbered, outhealthed and outinitiatived you are forced to reload a lot, if you are only average and reloading takes way too long and always has the scent of being exploitive.

The amount of resoures and their effectiveness also relies heavily on the status of your resting. So game experience is very inconsistent. Constant resting I do not find abusive though, it just steals my time.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 08:08 AM
May we summarize saying something like : if you stick to D&D rules not cheesing with the homebrew rules, the game is very hard... But if you use the custom rules the game is very easy ?

(i.e Jump as bonus action each turn to move a lot and/or avoid AOO, powerfull bonus action, king of the hill, dipping, eating, easy rest, easy backstab,...)

Real question, that's my thoughts.
On my first playthrough when I just knowed a little bit about how D&D works, it was very hard. Now that I know Larian's custom mechanics it's not really a challenge anymore.

May we summarize saying that Larian's homebrew rules completely altered the difficulty ?
(In both sides... More difficult D&D game but easy Larian game... The middle could be according to me the D&D RAW)
Posted By: Rhobar121 Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
May we summarize saying something like : if you stick to D&D rules not cheesing with the homebrew rules, the game is very hard... But if you use the custom rules the game is very easy ?

(i.e Jump as bonus action each turn to move a lot and/or avoid AOO, powerfull bonus action, king of the hill, dipping, eating, easy rest, easy backstab,...)

On my first playthrough when I just knowed a little bit about how D&D works, it was very hard. Now that I know Larian's custom mechanics it's not really a challenge anymore.

May we summarize saying that Larian's homebrew rules completely altered the difficulty ?
(In both sides... More difficult D&D game but easy Larian game... The middle could be according to me the D&D RAW)

Or you can just make your enemies stronger smile
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

Or you can just make your enemies stronger smile

So it's even harder for newcomers... Great suggestion...
Posted By: Sordak Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:04 AM
well there definitly ought to be a tacticians mode.
tho definitly strange to hear from so many people. A lot of people considered Original sin 2 very hard. Hence a lot of angry steam reviews.

Im not exactly surprised tho, considering they are going for a more mass appeal product here. And the people who are getting into the DnD hype now are not exactly hardcore.
Posted By: CMF Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:19 AM
Proper utilization of character builds, min/maxing dmg out and reducing dmg in, and then after that, some proper positioning made the game a whole lot easier.

I too do not rely on extensive use of ground effects, high ground, pushes, or various cheese. I do how ever flank constantly (normally by just walking to the side, but yes, sometimes by jumping behind if movement will cause an attack of opportunity.

Every encounter in the game was doable without any deaths (downed allies yes, but not full deaths) as I didn't even know Gale had a death story line until my second play through when I was jumping him off things to see what connected to the underdark.

This is by mostly sticking to the D&D mechanics and not the "Larian" mechanics, as many complain. Lighting was a huge issue for me at first, which made the spider tunnels and underdark drastically harder for me, but now I get it.

So basically, this game is easy, if you pay attention to the information provided to you. Hit chance, debuffs, and proper threat management go a long way, and that isn't just specific to Larian rules. I find some of these complaints of too difficult people just not understanding the mechanics.

I do however research most games I play and look at websites like fextralife or build my own spreadsheets to calculate dmg or min/max stat usage....so I guess not a casual gamer either....

I guess what I am trying to say is, does being informed and making correct decisions mean a game is too easy? Or does that simply mean you learned the right way to do things and being rewarded for playing the game well?
Posted By: Gaidax Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:28 AM
You say that, but just yesterday some person left a frothing feedback in discord about how he/she refunded the game because it was unfairly hard.

Different people, mileage may vary.

Other than that - what we play now is "Normal" - a stock game mode for all, would not expect some exceptional difficulty out of it, why I'd imagine they would tune it further down because some specific fights are shockers first time you every encounter them, like these infamous minotaurs. Sure 2nd playthrough I literally destroyed them without even taking any hits, but first time ever I encountered them? They did hand me my ass.

In the end there will be both Story and Tactician difficulty (or whatever they call it in BG3).
Posted By: Rhobar121 Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:30 AM
A lot of problems with the fight could be solved by introducing the "death" mechanic with DA: O (the game is already quite heavily inspired by DA: O).
In DA:O, a character who "died" in a fight automatically stood up after the fight ended. The only punishment for death was a wound that lowered the character's stats (removed after resting).
I think it would make it impossible to exploit the game mechanics by constantly raising a character with 1 hp. It would certainly be easier to balance some fights as well.
I would leave the option to raise a character in combat with scrolls.
Posted By: Abits Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:30 AM
I used jump all the time, and push occasionally, and I rest often. But I don't think these things are the same as barrelmancy. unlike the later, the former doesn't require a special work from me (like searching around and picking up any barrel I can find) to be viable way of dealing with fights. these things are an integral part of the game, and are meant to be used a lot.
Posted By: Sludge Khalid Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:32 AM
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Originally Posted by Tzelanit

I don't watch trek wars so I only the know the reference to take the piss out of it.

Another Joe with a portrait of a BG3 female character asking to the rules feel like real life. That’s the real life I’m talking about!
Posted By: vometia Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Another Joe with a portrait of a BG3 female character asking to the rules feel like real life. That’s the real life I’m talking about!

Be polite, please. I'm seeing too many personal comments like this.
Posted By: gaymer Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:42 AM
The encounters are not difficult at all and the AI makes sooooooo many poor decisions and pointless turns that it's ridiculous.

It's EA, so I'm not criticizing but I've had:

1. The AI come all the way down a ladder from high ground to cast Cure Wounds on another enemy.
2. The AI waste turns by walking around before finally doing nothing.
3. The AI cast a spell or shoot at me and the attack hits the ground.
4. The AI willingly trigger AoO and die

And so much more. I hope that on harder difficulty the AI is much harder along with the enemies. Buffing the enemies alone doesn't mean anything when Larian has the AI for these enemies as very stupid.
Posted By: Asseronia Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 09:44 AM
I don't know what exactly difficulty is for EA.
My 1 playthrough was hard smirk I struggle a lot - but on my second one I was backstabbing, hiding, king of the hill - and it was pretty easy.
Some fights were hard - but it's strictly related to lvl4 cap.

Its obvious that some mechanics will change - currently its way to easy to cheese fight by using some mechanics (like hiding).
There also will be some kind of hard /tactician difficulty.

Its to early to tell if BG3 is to easy - basically we need to wait how Larian approaches current OP mechanics - like shove.
Posted By: Alix Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 10:18 AM
Too Easy???? Never!
I'ts much too hard for a RPG! Maybe to easy if you are a battle lover. But much to hard if you are a story lover. I can't go on because I am out of potions and food. There is no way to get more of them.

Story mode - very easy (like in DOS2 with some helping mods)
easy mode - easy fights for RPG fans without love the fighings
than the:
level ground - normal (like now)
Lower ground - ultra hard (for the puzzle fighers)
Higher ground - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!! HE-MAN! (I never understand why you play RPGs not Fighting games... but I dont need to understand that)

And those actually AI??? Can attack with much more power and can heal offen! Thats not fair against my poor party!
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by CMF
Proper utilization of character builds, min/maxing dmg out and reducing dmg in, and then after that, some proper positioning made the game a whole lot easier.

I too do not rely on extensive use of ground effects, high ground, pushes, or various cheese. I do how ever flank constantly (normally by just walking to the side, but yes, sometimes by jumping behind if movement will cause an attack of opportunity.

Every encounter in the game was doable without any deaths (downed allies yes, but not full deaths) as I didn't even know Gale had a death story line until my second play through when I was jumping him off things to see what connected to the underdark.

This is by mostly sticking to the D&D mechanics and not the "Larian" mechanics, as many complain. Lighting was a huge issue for me at first, which made the spider tunnels and underdark drastically harder for me, but now I get it.

So basically, this game is easy, if you pay attention to the information provided to you. Hit chance, debuffs, and proper threat management go a long way, and that isn't just specific to Larian rules. I find some of these complaints of too difficult people just not understanding the mechanics.

I do however research most games I play and look at websites like fextralife or build my own spreadsheets to calculate dmg or min/max stat usage....so I guess not a casual gamer either....

I guess what I am trying to say is, does being informed and making correct decisions mean a game is too easy? Or does that simply mean you learned the right way to do things and being rewarded for playing the game well?

Someone that know the rules better than I can correct me if I'm wrong but according to me in D&D :

- Flanking in D&D is only possible if 2 allies are engaged with the same opponent and if they are both on opposite side of him. This rules apply to allies but also to ennemies.
- "Facing" is another rule that grants an advantage if you're back your ennemy but it's a little bit more complex and everyone is able to choose which side he faces after each movement... it still doesn't mean you can always disengage or hide as a bonus action or jump to easy avoid AOO.

If I'm not wrong, flanking or "backstab" advantage in D&D only apply to melee attack, not sure how it work in BG3.

Maybe this is not related to Larian's mechanic, but it's still related to their intergration of the rules.

Not sure what "proper positionning" mean since there is no cover mechanic and the only "good" position is to be higher, what you didn't "too" rely on.
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 10:48 AM
Metagaming trumps everything. Here's my lvl 1 solo priestess gut 'melee' kill w/out wyvern poison - potion of fire breath is op

[Linked Image]
Posted By: zeel Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 10:55 AM
As someone who loves video games but is also hopelessly bad at most video games, I'm one of the people who's been struggling with the combat so far.
I still manage to scrape by (most of the time) but I really can't wait until the difficulty options are brought in. I usually start out the game with a low difficulty setting, to feel out the combat and familiarize myself, and then raise it once I feel secure in my tactical abilities.
Right now in BG3 I just reload and try a different fight somewhere else when I fail an encounter. Can't really keep doing that forever, though.
Posted By: mr_planescapist Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 01:45 PM
As in all Larian games...Too many potions, too many scrolls, too much money and too much food makes the game...non-consequential. Doesn't matter anymore if enemies have 10x the HP, I have 20x the items to use freely, and all my abilities are back right after combat. One reason I quit DOS2 half way through. Having so much junk items made even the epic items feel like a cheap hamburger.

Why not just have a <give me some scrolls, potions and a magic item> button in the UI, its basically feels the same. The worst is, MAGIC becomes mundane...and not useful.

A quick fix for all this item overload, <looks yet again at BG2...>, yes bring back limited item slots and limited item stacking for every character or drastically increase weight limit. "Hmm should I bring that deathbringer axe of Mortis or the lance of ultimaxus bloodthrust??? Cant have it all with all the armors Im carrying....maybe drop off all these potions/food for now...BUT my mage only has a few restoration spells memorized ...hmmmmm....maybe if I use the invisibility scroll on the barbarian then..."etc...
so it becomes quite fun trying to figure out on how to deal with situations having these limited resources.

POE2 Deadfire <kind of> fixed that with the added difficulty challenges (hp doesn't regenerate, food spoils after some time, rest only 1 a day, abilities can only be used once a day etc...) which I absolutely LOVE. Made the game way more fun. And you can CHOOSE to add these gameplay changes. Great way to deal with mainstream gamers.
Posted By: lumby Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 03:42 PM
There is some neat self imposed challenges so far.
Can you have volo remove one eye and have auntie remove the other? Blind solo challenge run.
Posted By: Abits Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by lumby
Can you have volo remove one eye and have auntie remove the other? Blind solo challenge run.

I think this is a kind of game that allows many of these self imposed restrictions for challenge runs. Like a Pokémon Nuzlock
Posted By: RumRunner151 Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:36 PM

If you do volo 1st, she wont. Not sure about the other way.
Posted By: Evil_it_Self Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:40 PM
is BG3 too EZ ?

yes. the AI is so buggy, that all the fight are a piece of cake
Posted By: virion Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
is BG3 too EZ ?

yes. the AI is so buggy, that all the fight are a piece of cake

The AI struggling on getting on highground where you can just rain arrows on them is kinda a sad display ngl.
They seem to not find ladders sometimes...They just need 3-4 turns to figure out there was a ladder somewhere this whole time ^^

Apart from exploiting pathfinding though I feel enemies just lack mage support. Like they need waaay more mages on their side. Goblins struggle with it for obvious reasons. But the hag for instance is a way more interesting and (theoretically) difficult fight than others precisely because she's one of those who actually read the rule book and figured out hold person is a thing.

Maybe just more spellcasters would make some of those fights more challenging? You could still cheese it and one shot the mage before anything starts but if you go head on it would at least become some kind of challenge.

I had to nerf myself by not using dmg spells in most fights cause it would just be unfair in most of them :p
So @OP:"I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?" Yup, sadly. I'm not even using surfaces that much . I'm just arrowing them to death from highground :| And I have to go highground cause their archers will get the advantage otherwise.

Idk, hard to judge low level encounters. Personally I'm a fan boy of mage fights in D&D so I guess I need higher level enemies to enjoy that part.
Posted By: Bukke Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

If you do volo 1st, she wont. Not sure about the other way.

Not possible I believe. I had the hag remove my eye and if I recall correctly I could only reject Volo's offer by stating that I'd already had one eye messed with and I didn't want to risk losing another.
Posted By: Danneuber Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 10/11/20 08:34 PM
I agree. Way too easy.
Posted By: Tuv Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 12:47 PM
The enemies make great use of destructible environment, such as ladders, trapping me repeatedly having to risk falling prone. The enemy focuses on lower AC characters and actually go for the killing blow when on the ground. I pushed Bernard through the window, down the tower and the next turn one of the other constructs kill shadowheart just like that.

As a veteran rpg player you will walk all over combat, a lot. That's what higher difficulties are for.

The current difficulty is normal for bg players and quite challenging for many new players. I think if it wasn't buggy and in early access, the difficulty would be spot on.
Aside from balancing issues and strange alterations to the dnd formula like shoving, jumping, ground effects, resting etc etc

It doesn't feel like it is DnD difficulty though, it's clearly something else and it feels too early to make changes to the rule set to see how it balances. It would be better to find out first, whether or not the DnD ruleset has to be changed.
I don't quite understand the priorities here, doesn't this take lots of time to do? Currently there is no comparison just how BG3 100% DnD would feel and play like.
But I've got no clue about the development structures in place, maybe it was tried already and found not fun.

Items are nuts sometimes and sometimes just nice. MM necklace and the blessing staff....I mean....thank you but maybe 100 hours later in the game...
The ring with +3m running speed or the "healing grants resistance" gloves, now those are great lower level items.

In general, please make use of the largest foundation any fantasy realm has ever known, and build on that more
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 01:23 PM
The game is easy because combats are just a big exploit.

- Allow ennemies to jump behind us to backstab our characters at each turn and it won't be that easy anymore.
- Let them all avoid AOO as we can
- Let them jump to move further and do an attack they couldn't if they were just moving.
- Improve the AI so it don't use nearly useless spells like bane
(I mean... Not useless but way less effective they should be because their opponent have easy advantage at each turns)
- Let every ennemies dip their weapons in fire at each turns...
- Give them WTF items such a few of those we can find (i.e that give poison damages to the ally you just heal...)

It would looks even less serious if the AI could do such things (as we can)... But at least it would be less easy and more balanced...

Maybe they should find something else to balance the game... Don't know, something like avoiding to create cheesy mechanics and trusting / improving D&D instead of doing something totally different ?
Posted By: VagabondJoeBags Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 03:25 PM
Well, that quite a few posts in a couple of days! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it is the tactical difficulty that is lacking and, as we all know, the fix is not to purely to increase HP across the board for the opposition. While I didn't mention that I played DOS2 in this thread, interestingly, someone searched that out. Anyhow, I did and DOS2 was great! What I recall the most about DOS2, besides the sneaking around in the bush costume, is sitting there strategizing like if I do this, then I can do that, and so forth. Sure, I do it with BG3 too but not nearly as much or by using as much of my arsenal. Hardly anything is used as I mentioned in my original post.

The game is a work-in-progress and I do expect it to become more of a tactical challenge. I hope to get to a point where, when I am away from the game, I am problem solving or planning attacks in my head and then, having one of those aha moments.

I did fail to mention that I consistently make use of high-ground when possible and sometimes use sneak. Maybe without those, I’d be required to use spells as some of you alluded to.

As one person mentioned, I’m not sure why monsters keep attacking a downed player. Seems like a highly intelligent monster may do this based on the situation. An average monster would not sacrifice a turn pummeling a downed player and a low intelligence one would keep beating a dead horse.

Most responses indicate that the game is too easy. From the standpoint of not needing to use much of the great spells, scrolls, potions, etcetera, I agree. Maybe “simple” is a more appropriate word. I need to be forced away from – Dash, high-ground, cantrip, eat an apple, repeat.

Hopefully once BG3 is released, one would be required to contemplate situations a little more which would lead to having to be more creative with the resources in the game. Other than that, it is looking pretty good so far.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 04:27 PM

- Allow ennemies to jump behind us to backstab our characters at each turn and it won't be that easy anymore.
- Let them jump to move further and do an attack they couldn't if they were just moving.
(I mean... Not useless but way less effective they should be because their opponent have easy advantage at each turns)
- Give them WTF items such a few of those we can find (i.e that give poison damages to the ally you just heal...)

It would looks even less serious if the AI could do such things (as we can)... But at least it would be less easy and more balanced...

Maybe they should find something else to balance the game... Don't know, something like avoiding to create cheesy mechanics and trusting / improving D&D instead of doing something totally different ?

I would love it if the enemies could use all the same tricks as us! At least on higher difficulty, if nothing else.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 04:31 PM

I would love it if the enemies could use all the same tricks as us! At least on higher difficulty, if nothing else.

Even now ?
Kangaroo party for everyone ?

I'd also like them to use the same tricks than us (and more, I think it's necessary) but really not with the current combats rules...

Posted By: PraiseThanos Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 06:58 PM
Nah, it gets a little rough at times. For me the Githyanki patrol is an example. Poor Gale only let off one spell before being downed. lol

There is of course the minatour fight. They get 3 actions if you count the leap I believe. That’s a bit rough for a level 4 party to deal with, especially if you have someone squishy like Gale with you

Overall I would say it’s not easy, but nor is it terribly difficult. The RNG will screw you over, but that’s Par to the course for a video game whose combat relies on RNG. Not much you can do about that outside of manipulating the odds and playing smart
Posted By: Uacari Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 12/11/20 09:19 PM
I started having difficulties in DOS until I read on the internet that Larian studios divided the regions by levels. After that all made sense - even though the map is open to exploring and players have freedom to do whatever we want, there was a certain path that was fine tuned to be followed in order to keep the game balanced,
and avoid too many deaths.

Sometimes when I tried something different in DOS and DOS 2, I ended up getting the message that "maybe your party is not powerful enough for this region".
Other times I spent a lot of time on very tough combats, only then to realize maybe that was actually designed to be tackled later on.

I am fine with that - I consider games an evolution of movies in terms of storytelling...so if nowadays´ games still have main paths, that´s because we are still on an era of developing AI algorithms...I do not blame any studio for inducing a straight, more linear path...

But..if people are saying that BG3 is easy no matter which path you take...and combat mechanics do not demand good tactic or much thinking...then maybe
Larian can make some adjustments later on...definitely! what is the fun of just doing the same thing and winning all combats without much planning !?
Posted By: ash elemental Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 08:34 AM
The issue is that all those varied area layouts, with ladders/platforms/mountains/what you don't have, seem to be working against the ai. The enemies get defeated by tasks like climbing, and yet most combat encounters feature lots of climbing possibilities. For example, in the duergar village where my party started the fight while having the upper ground, the enemies wasted their turn running from one climbing net to the other, back and forth.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 10:26 AM
I think the main source of the game being easy right now is poor AI. If they make the AI a lot smarter, some of these encounters could be much tougher.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 10:57 AM
I think the main source of the game being easy right now is poor AI. If they make the AI a lot smarter, some of these encounters could be much tougher.

Agreed. They need to look for stealthed players or leave the area/get behind cover. Also question the moving of furniture around them at least and go hostile if the player continues doing it.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 10:59 AM

That's my wish too. I really hope they will pull something great and challenging for a tactical ironman mode.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 11:02 AM

I think I would absolutely hate for the AI to get "smarter" by leveraging some of the current structural weaknesses of the game, frankly.
Last thing I want is a group of enemies leapfrogging all around my party to avoid AoO and backstab my characters, for instance.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tuco

I think I would absolutely hate for the AI to get "smarter" by leveraging some of the current structural weaknesses of the game, frankly.
Last thing I want is a group of enemies leapfrogging all around my party to avoid AoO and backstab my characters, for instance.

"Baldur's gate 3: planet of the apes" edition XD
Posted By: Bukke Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 11:09 AM

I agree, I'd rather not have every combat encounter end up being like in DOS2 where far too many enemies had random jump and leap abilities.
But I also think enemies still should be able to disengage if they find themselves in an unfavourable position. Jump/Disengage being tied to the same bonus action is an entirely different issue.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 11:16 AM

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this until i actually test it.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 11:44 AM

They need to separate the jump and disengage for sure. I kind of like the idea of enemies being able to backstab, makes positioning and cover more important.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Zarna

They need to separate the jump and disengage for sure. I kind of like the idea of enemies being able to backstab, makes positioning and cover more important.

I am glad the community seems to agree 99% disengage should be reworked. It gives me hope for the future of the game.
Posted By: TyPinOwly Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 13/11/20 05:05 PM

First off, I know this is early access and we have a long way to go but is the game full of tons of unused stuff and not very challenging?

I've put in a good 60 hours or so and it seems that I made though most of chapter 1. What I have found is that I hardly use the inventory and magic in the game. For weapons and armor, sure I use the best that comes along but for potions, poisons, scrolls, and all the other inventory, I rarely use it. I eat food all the time though. For spells, I rarely use those too since I keep thinking that I need to save the for a tough situation when I can't return to camp. The only scroll I use is the one to raise the dead. I do routinely use the cantrips although they tend to be the same ones. Is dipping or knock unconscious even needed for anything?

Yeah, my first play-through (not my first play-through attempt) was with warlock too. I long rested maybe 3 or 4 times for the whole first act (mainly for healing and I didn't realize that food heals... so I sold all food all the time^^). Thing is, the typical warlock very much relies on eldritch blast as its most reliable damage source. Oddly this results in rarely needing to rest or to use any scroll or other item on a class that has only two spell slots. Simply seek higher ground and blast everything to death... Warlocks are the real Gods of Murder laugh
Posted By: VagabondJoeBags Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 14/11/20 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by TyPinOwly

Yeah, my first play-through (not my first play-through attempt) was with warlock too. I long rested maybe 3 or 4 times for the whole first act (mainly for healing and I didn't realize that food heals... so I sold all food all the time^^). Thing is, the typical warlock very much relies on eldritch blast as its most reliable damage source. Oddly this results in rarely needing to rest or to use any scroll or other item on a class that has only two spell slots. Simply seek higher ground and blast everything to death... Warlocks are the real Gods of Murder laugh

Yep, I hear ya! Pretty much stuck to eldritch blast myself. Now I restarted the game doing the Sister Christian thing as KNight Ranger... err, Ranger Knight Shield Dwarf to see how the other half lives. (too much ale in the tavern with the bards)
Posted By: Uacari Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 21/11/20 04:07 AM
The issue is that all those varied area layouts, with ladders/platforms/mountains/what you don't have, seem to be working against the ai. The enemies get defeated by tasks like climbing, and yet most combat encounters feature lots of climbing possibilities.

-ash elemental

Sorry to hear that, man.
I haven´t played yet..in fact I have no hardware to play this game..unless I pay some online streaming Stadia, which is not yet available in my country.

Anyway...I agree with general comments above...DOS2 had some memorable combats (so did BG2), and both set the bar high for BG3.
Often times you had to die first to figure out how to handle each combat.
That for me is ok.

yes - teleporting was cool...so was polymorph to chicken..haha...often times the tactic was to teleport enemies right next to my protagonist and then petrify or polymorph,
depending on their defensive weaknesses.

I do remember the final fight of DOS1 being easier than that of DOS2...which was very elaborated indeed.
I read some people still managed to beat the game with ease...not me frown.
Posted By: Osprey39 Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 21/11/20 11:06 PM

You're both wrong. It's 9.8 m/s^2
Posted By: Maerd Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 22/11/20 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Osprey39

You're both wrong. It's 9.8 m/s^2

Nah, it's you who failed. ms^-2 and m/s^2 is the same thing.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 22/11/20 01:18 AM

Kind of wonder if the game was setup this way for EA, since there is no levels of difficulty. The mass amount of scrolls, bombs, barrels, & environmental interactions would be a great way to test combat see how people use such items and general feedback on how they like it.

Off the top of my head I used food/pots the most for first solo play, never did 3/4 of the areas. My multi-play actually ran into a problem with spider boss, my character halfling cleric got shoved off the side early and instant died, our warlock that has 8 con got pummeled like normal and it was pretty much a two-man group Shadowheart and a Shield Dwarf Fighter. It took a lot of scrolls, those purple bombs from the ship, and food. Well that an using our warlock as a target dummy.
Posted By: Balls Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 22/11/20 06:10 PM
Right now it's early access for this smart, tactically inclined company and they have tossed a smorgasbord of options for the player to do into the game that allows for almost endless choices/approaches. Lots of it is not yet balanced to the point that it will be.

As Larian watches what we choose to do, and how it all works within the D&D ruleset, they will make changes to improve balance, tighten up rules to make it harder to cheese certain things, improve AI to allow fairer contests, and do away with endless camping and other things that make things overly easy.

Hopefully, they will add iron-person modes and allow for various choices in how one chooses to approach the game.

The bones of the game are fantastic, in my opinion, with balancing and tweaking of what now exists, I can see BGIII becoming a platform for endless fun in a wonderfully exciting D&D structure designed to handle endless possibilities. As much as a game system for future modules as it is a stand alone game.

The most obvious good thing Larian brings to the table fall into the category of tactics and strategy. Players who do have difficulties with the game seem to generally be used to the "charge and kill" sort of approach. BGIII absolutely demands advanced planning and organization. The game rewards the player who gets his archer/mages on high ground and sets themselves into position before the fight, and who finds a way to use the lay of the ground and it's accouterments like barrels of oil, water, etc. Replay from a save is looked upon by Larian as "going to happen" to all players. No one marches through this game successfully without a replay or having watched someone else do it. This is meant to be a part of the challenge, and a part of the game's enjoyment.

That is just part of how the game functions, rather than being a flaw. A player becomes more careful, they learn to recon new areas. One tends to husband their life more carefully, and treat the game world more like the real world as far as dealing with natural forces, once they get badly lacquered once or thrice.

It's all rather splendid.

If Larian currently has a weakness, judging from it's past games, it has to do with the abstractions of "living" and "travel" in a world. They seem to be attempting to address this with their new "camp" feature, which I really love. However, we are seeing only the initial bits of this system, and I am hoping it becomes more robust, and much more fleshed out down the road. They need to bring the robust feeling of realism we find in combat, to the place you hang your hat at the end of the day.

Obviously, they are attempting to do just that.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 22/11/20 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Balls
Right now it's early access for this smart, tactically inclined company and they have tossed a smorgasbord of options for the player to do into the game that allows for almost endless choices/approaches. Lots of it is not yet balanced to the point that it will be.

As Larian watches what we choose to do, and how it all works within the D&D ruleset, they will make changes to improve balance, tighten up rules to make it harder to cheese certain things, improve AI to allow fairer contests, and do away with endless camping and other things that make things overly easy.

Hopefully, they will add iron-person modes and allow for various choices in how one chooses to approach the game.

The bones of the game are fantastic, in my opinion, with balancing and tweaking of what now exists, I can see BGIII becoming a platform for endless fun in a wonderfully exciting D&D structure designed to handle endless possibilities. As much as a game system for future modules as it is a stand alone game.

The most obvious good thing Larian brings to the table fall into the category of tactics and strategy. Players who do have difficulties with the game seem to generally be used to the "charge and kill" sort of approach. BGIII absolutely demands advanced planning and organization. The game rewards the player who gets his archer/mages on high ground and sets themselves into position before the fight, and who finds a way to use the lay of the ground and it's accouterments like barrels of oil, water, etc. Replay from a save is looked upon by Larian as "going to happen" to all players. No one marches through this game successfully without a replay or having watched someone else do it. This is meant to be a part of the challenge, and a part of the game's enjoyment.

That is just part of how the game functions, rather than being a flaw. A player becomes more careful, they learn to recon new areas. One tends to husband their life more carefully, and treat the game world more like the real world as far as dealing with natural forces, once they get badly lacquered once or thrice.

It's all rather splendid.

If Larian currently has a weakness, judging from it's past games, it has to do with the abstractions of "living" and "travel" in a world. They seem to be attempting to address this with their new "camp" feature, which I really love. However, we are seeing only the initial bits of this system, and I am hoping it becomes more robust, and much more fleshed out down the road. They need to bring the robust feeling of realism we find in combat, to the place you hang your hat at the end of the day.

Obviously, they are attempting to do just that.

All of this. Great post.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 23/11/20 03:49 AM
Half of the topics that BG3 is too easy. Half of the topics on "How to Defeat Minotaurs / Beholders / Git Patrols / Etc."

I think the difficulty of the game is okay. It is what normal difficulty should be.
Posted By: Capt.Wells Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 23/11/20 04:32 PM
I must truly be doing something terribly wrong, if the op thinks that this game is too easy? I've come to BG3 from console syle rpgs (Dragon Age, The Witcher, Amalur, etc.) and have never done any turn based games remotely like this one.

In Baldur's Gate 3 I've gotten slaughtered .... a lot!

I am running three characters, or rather attempting to run three. Recently I started an "evil" playthrough and just as I freed Shazza, after having already cleared the Underground Passage goblins out, that damned idol either one-shotted her or other of my party members? Nothing that I've been able to do will allow me to target that thing to try and destroy it?

So, is there a Baldur's Gate 3 for dummies guide somewhere (because, I would really like to blow that idol to kingdom come)?
Posted By: Abits Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 23/11/20 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Capt.Wells
I must truly be doing something terribly wrong, if the op thinks that this game is too easy? I've come to BG3 from console syle rpgs (Dragon Age, The Witcher, Amalur, etc.) and have never done any turn based games remotely like this one.

I am running three characters, or rather attempting to run three. Recently I started an "evil" playthrough and just as I freed Shazza, after having already cleared the Underground Passage goblins out, that damned idol either one-shotted her or other of my party members? Nothing that I've been able to do will allow me to target that thing to try and destroy it?

So, is there a Baldur's Gate 3 for dummies guide somewhere (because, I would really like to blow that idol to kingdom come)?

The closest thing you mentioned to bg3 is Dragon Age (and even in this series there is a level of difficulty). Don't get discouraged. And you can check this forum's tip section
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 23/11/20 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Capt.Wells

Always use your jump with your melee characters to backstab your ennemies and focus going higher than them with your ranged.

It should be fine if you understand the basics of D&D (modifiers and proficiencies)
Posted By: OcO Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 23/11/20 08:02 PM
Credentials: 45 yrs old, played most all the old rpgs(BG1/BG2/ToEE/NWN/etc) also happen to love tactical games(Fallout Tactics/Final Fantasy Tactics/Jagged Alliance/etc). I've never played a Larian game before though and haven't played TT DnD since it was called AD&D. I'm 80 some hours into my first play through and nearly done( I just went down into the Grotto after clearing the Ruined Tower. After the Grotto I need to go speak to the Mindflayer and have it make the potion, and I still need to go back to the Druid Grove cause Halsin is waiting there for me after freeing him(I went straight into the UD after the Goblin City and haven't been back to the Grove yet).

So in my personal opinion, yes the game is super easy atm. Being afraid long rests would result in furthering the ceremorphesis process, I only took 3 long rests during my exploration of the surface world. I did nearly every fight with just cantrips and avoided using abilities that needed short/long rests. The only had 2 fights I had to reload. One was the Spider Boss, and I actually beat that one with just my MC left standing but thought..."Na I can do better" and fought it again. The other was the Goblin Priestess but after winning that one with the help of the giant spiders I reloaded it cause I wanted the spiders left alive for the next fight so I redid the fight without them so I could free them after.

I never exploded a single barrel(nor had any used against me that I remember) and rarely used shove(though I did use it once on the Spider Boss after she warped to right beside Lazeal up on a ledge then turned away from her to spit at a toon below...I was like ok if you are going to turn your back on me and position yourself perfectly, fine than).

What I did do that it seems many don't from reading various posts is scout ahead a lot with invisibility and hide and initiated almost every conflict on my terms with toons set in place before starting. I mean ya if you run right into things and every fight starts with the enemy having advantage then it maybe a lot harder. But going slow and careful can avoid most/all of that.

Personal thoughts on high ground advantage. To me it actually kinda makes sense. There is no cover rules in place in BG3. High ground would allow a person to see the enemy entirely(no cover), while being below something would mean your target is only partially visible because you can only see their head and shoulders. IDK seems like it makes sense to me high ground has an attack advantage.
Posted By: etonbears Re: Is BG3 too easy? - 25/11/20 09:08 PM
It's probably about right for what will eventually be "normal mode"; once you have worked out the sorts of options available to you, there are plenty of different ways of dealing with encounters, good for a variety of play-styles.

I would also expect a simpler mode for those focussed only on story interest, and a hardcore mode or two for rules-jockeys.

The times I had wipeouts, testing about 5 playthroughs, were when ( both accidentally and deliberately ) I ran headlong into prepared ambushes; and once when the random element introduced by constant dice rolls just went very badly.

The worst part of the combat experience was that very large fights get very tedious because a 6-second round can take 2-3 minutes. Larian have done a good job removing/altering 5e rules that would make the game experience crawl, but large numbers of participants will always be difficult in turn-based mechanics.
© Larian Studios forums