Larian Studios
Posted By: Maldurin Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 12:54 AM
Surely that topic has been discussed here and there but i think it deserves an own thread.

I do understand that the origin system requires the tadpole problem as an common motivation for the party to find together, but since there are so many awesome characters with companion potential in the game i have to ask:
Does every companion have to be an playable origin character ?
It would add so much to the game if for example Halsin, Minthara or Anders could become permanent companions with their own motivations.

I dont need them as a potential Main Character with some Origin Integration..but limiting the party to the tadpole crew kinda seems like lost potencial to me.
It would also give you more variety to make your own party without hiring nameless mercenaries, which was practical in DOS II but i dont think many people really enjoy travelling with empty characters.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 04:04 AM
I would love it if Halsin joined the party.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Maldurin
It would add so much to the game if for example Halsin, Minthara or Anders could become permanent companions with their own motivations.

I dont need them as a potential Main Character with some Origin Integration..but limiting the party to the tadpole crew kinda seems like lost potencial to me.

I too really hope we can have non-Origins, non-tadpoled companions. It's cool to move away from "godspawn topic-of-prophecy PC surrounded by allies met on the way". It's sad if it ends up being the extreme opposite, "everyone is VIP : no tadpole, no joining".

The list of non-tadpoled companions could include :
- The bard Alfira (+++)
- The druid Halsin (+++)
- Minthara (+++)
- Sazza
- Gandrel (a Ranger ?)
- Someone from the Lia-Rolan-Cal group (or another tiefling that looks fighter-like, basically, they look like they have a couple of people who could hold their own)
Posted By: DanteYoda Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 08:04 AM
Sazza added..
Nettie added..
Deep Gnome guy added..

Still better than these origin characters, hell Nettie tried to kill me and i still like her more than Astarion or Lae'zel.
Posted By: Abits Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 08:24 AM
They said before they are considering it at the very least. I also prefer non-origin companions
Posted By: Maldurin Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
Sazza added..
Nettie added..
Deep Gnome guy added..

Still better than these origin characters, hell Nettie tried to kill me and i still like her more than Astarion or Lae'zel.

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

I too really hope we can have non-Origins, non-tadpoled companions. It's cool to move away from "godspawn topic-of-prophecy PC surrounded by allies met on the way". It's sad if it ends up being the extreme opposite, "everyone is VIP : no tadpole, no joining".

The list of non-tadpoled companions could include :
- The bard Alfira (+++)
- The druid Halsin (+++)
- Minthara (+++)
- Sazza
- Gandrel (a Ranger ?)
- Someone from the Lia-Rolan-Cal group (or another tiefling that looks fighter-like, basically, they look like they have a couple of people who could hold their own)

Do not forget about Paladin Anders, i see a lot of potential in this character and his story
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Abits
They said before they are considering it at the very least. I also prefer non-origin companions

Oh ? I missed that (I think). Where was it ? And where do they "say things", if they have any regular/semi-official other channel of communication ? I only know of the community updates.
Posted By: virion Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

Oh ? I missed that (I think). Where was it ? And where do they "say things", if they have any regular/semi-official other channel of communication ? I only know of the community updates.

Mostly interviews with sven/ occasional comments on this forum.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 10:38 AM
I am pretty sure there will be two types of companions, the tadpole origin characters and the non-origin non-tadpole ones.

Because if they said you need to commit with the companions you selected in act 1, they didn't say you won't meet new companions afterwards. And I think Minsc, for example, will come later and you won't be able to choose him as your main character.
Posted By: Ixal Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 11:43 AM

"We are considering it" means "We won't do it and hope that you will eventually forget that you asked".
Posted By: Maldurin Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Ixal

"We are considering it" means "We won't do it and hope that you will eventually forget that you asked".

It does not
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 03:17 PM
I can see Haslin, Minthara, Kahga, Alfira, and maybe Mizora for scripted fights in a Malady/Jahan style. I heard Nightsong could be a follower too in a capacity similar to Haslin depending on your choices. I wonder though, does non origin companion mean actual party members or is it just a camp follower and maybe a scripted battle or two.
Posted By: Maldurin Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 03:39 PM
[/quote] I wonder though, does non origin companion mean actual party members or is it just a camp follower and maybe a scripted battle or two. [/quote]

I was referring to actual party members smile
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 03:41 PM
Yeah I understand you lol. I hope Larian is on the same page too.
Posted By: Icelyn Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 04:31 PM
I hope they add nonorigin companions. I would like Halsin to be a companion and also would like to have more companions in general.
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 04:54 PM
I've commented on it many times, so as to not repeat myself too much: I very much agree we need non-origin companions, and quite a lot of them. 8 companions is just not enough to choose from in a Baldur's Gate game.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 06:54 PM
A non-playable no-tadpole companions is something I would have a great interest in, but I think it would put the entire origin concept into question - mostly, how would it work in coop. I think it is safe to say, that origin system’s biggest advantage is for coop companions being able to join you at any moment and take control of your companions. Would they still allow for that for non-tadpole companions? If those companions have added content to make them playable, why not make them origins? Don’t they need a wide range of playable origins to choose from, before entertaining an idea of non-tadpole companions?

And as Minsc is confirmed - what will be his role? Companion? Follower? Quest NPC?

Killing “spare” companions would be in line with D:OS2 formula.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
A non-playable no-tadpole companions is something I would have a great interest in, but I think it would put the entire origin concept into question - mostly, how would it work in coop. I think it is safe to say, that origin system’s biggest advantage is for coop companions being able to join you at any moment and take control of your companions. Would they still allow for that for non-tadpole companions? If those companions have added content to make them playable, why not make them origins? Don’t they need a wide range of playable origins to choose from, before entertaining an idea of non-tadpole companions?

And as Minsc is confirmed - what will be his role? Companion? Follower? Quest NPC?

Yes - the problem with non-tadpole party members is how would they be treated in dialogue. There are some conversations, such as the goblin priestess, that would require completely different player and NPC dialogue for a tadpoleless character.

And Minsc is confirmed as a companion and origin character. Data miners have already found Minsc specific dialogue choices in the game for when the player is playing as Minsc.
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 07:59 PM
Guys, please hide spoilers, especially datamined.

Not a fan of him being an origin, tbh. I was hoping he'd be a temporary quest companion.
Posted By: Maldurin Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Yes - the problem with non-tadpole party members is how would they be treated in dialogue. There are some conversations, such as the goblin priestess, that would require completely different player and NPC dialogue for a tadpoleless character.

That wouldnt be the problem if these characters were just companions and not playable as Main character, wouldnt it ?
Posted By: Sozz Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 22/11/20 09:04 PM

That wouldnt be the problem if these characters were just companions and not playable as Main character, wouldnt it ?
yes only origin characters need to be tadpole'd otherwise the whole conceit behind grouping up in the first place would need to change as well.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 12:44 AM

And Minsc is confirmed as a companion and origin character. Data miners have already found Minsc specific dialogue choices in the game for when the player is playing as Minsc.

How is he confirmed as origin (being origin would mean starting the game as Minsc)? I find that unlikely but from what you said it does sounds like he will be able to join our team. A tadpole-less companion, or temporary companion (or indeed, a full origin - that would be weird though, starting with Minsc in this very alien Baldur’s Gate setting). I could swear Larian mentioned something like that when discussing 4party limit (characters temporary joining your team of four), however, I seem to be the only one remembering that, so I might have misinterpreted something. Especially so, as there is nothing of that sort in EA as far as I am aware. However, that still would make the most sense to me - any character who joins our party will have their own lines and will be under player control (afterall, BG3 allows for any party member to engage with the conversation, regardless if it’s player character or companion).
Posted By: Abits Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Ixal

I don't think it's true at all because there are many things that were asked of Larian regarding this game, but they only commented on a select few suggestions. It seems very likely they only address things they are seriously considering implementing at the very least
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 07:49 AM
+1 for non origin companions.

It looks like a huge majority of players just don't care about origins (reddit polls) so please... Don't spend all your "companions time" on them.

This is the last one I saw : https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Posted By: Daniel F Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 09:50 AM
Great idea. Also not all NPCs need to be there in act 1... so the possibilities are literally endless... in BG2 the most fun NPCs also joined somewhere mid-game... (especially Edwina...)
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Daniel F
in BG2 the most fun NPCs also joined somewhere mid-game... (especially Edwina...)

? Outside Imoen every companion is recruitable from the very beginning. Some are of the beaten path (not in ankathla) but they still can be quickly reached.

I don’t think spreading companions around is bad, but I do think it undermines companions you meet later. In my personal experience, companion who join after substantial playtime are unlikely to make it into my A squad. Of course, unless, all starting companions are unlike grumps.
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 10:33 AM
Great idea. Also not all NPCs need to be there in act 1... so the possibilities are literally endless... in BG2 the most fun NPCs also joined somewhere mid-game... (especially Edwina...)

I'd actually prefer all of them be available in Act I, perhaps beginning of Act 2 (because BG). In BG1 you had a bunch of companions only available once you reached BG, so in Chapter 5 (out of 7 chapters). By this point your party was pretty much established. So either you skipped the late-game companion or you spent most of your adventuring time with a character that was just there to be dumped once you reach BG. There's even a mod to make those characters available earlier, before BG is available. BioWare seems to have recognized the problem, as in BG2 it's only Imoen that is available late into the game; you can recruit all the other characters pretty much before doing anything else in Chapter 2 or even 1 (And Chapter 1 in BG2 is done in the first hour of the game or so.) Some quests required, of course, but not story progression.
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 10:38 AM

How is he confirmed as origin (being origin would mean starting the game as Minsc)? I find that unlikely but from what you said it does sounds like he will be able to join our team. A tadpole-less companion, or temporary companion (or indeed, a full origin - that would be weird though, starting with Minsc in this very alien Baldur’s Gate setting). I could swear Larian mentioned something like that when discussing 4party limit (characters temporary joining your team of four), however, I seem to be the only one remembering that, so I might have misinterpreted something. Especially so, as there is nothing of that sort in EA as far as I am aware. However, that still would make the most sense to me - any character who joins our party will have their own lines and will be under player control (afterall, BG3 allows for any party member to engage with the conversation, regardless if it’s player character or companion).

Companions aren’t the same as party members and I’m pretty sure that you can’t enter dialogue with them.

Anyway, Minsc
is listed in the game files as an origin character and has an origin tag that you can currently edit into the game to see a few of his special dialogue options. He is an origin character.
Posted By: Daniel F Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 10:51 AM
Yes... but there were so many quests, you might have played 2 hours or 20 hours before you actually came to these quests (e.g. Anomen, Valygar, Keldorn). I think it felt much more satisfying also from a story perspective if they all were not just standing around and immediately available...
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 11:11 AM
Yes... but there were so many quests, you might have played 2 hours or 20 hours before you actually came to these quests (e.g. Anomen, Valygar, Keldorn). I think it felt much more satisfying also from a story perspective if they all were not just standing around and immediately available...

I agree that "standing around waiting to be recruited" is bad, but the point in BG2 is that you CAN recruit them as soon as you sprint out of Irenicus' dungeon and do their recruitment quest. You CAN recruit them after you do most of Chapter 2/3 stuff (so most/half of the game), but it's entirely up to you. If they're locked to later story arcs, there's the BG1 problem I've described. In BG2 you can form your desired party at the beginning and go through the whole game with your trusty companions.
Posted By: Capt.Wells Re: Non-Tadpoled Companions - 23/11/20 06:57 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked the druid Apikusis that I spoke to in the Druids Grove. Hard to pin down exactly what it was about her, but the second that I spoke to her, I thought that she could potentially be an interesting companion?
© Larian Studios forums