Larian Studios
Posted By: tfraley Patch - Reset will this be a norm? - 01/12/20 09:29 PM
Good day.
Larian, Will patch resets be a common thing moving forward?

I understand branching etc.. but I wonder if it's better to wait for release than to repeat the game 100 times.
I'm all for uncovering every little corner and angle but will the game become stable by launch. Don't get me wrong I want to restart on release but will I be board or starting over so may time.

Just me thinking out loud..
Posted By: Warlocke Re: Patch - Reset will this be a norm? - 01/12/20 09:36 PM
Expect your saves to be rendered incompatible every few months.
Posted By: etonbears Re: Patch - Reset will this be a norm? - 01/12/20 11:16 PM
You don't have to play any more of EA if you don't want to, of course, but they do have a mechanism for you to choose which EA patch version you play, so you can continue playing old saves.

I expect the state management of the game/saves will probably change markedly between major patches, and it would probably be quite wasteful of time and resource to create state migration code to move saves between two arbitrary patch levels.

Maybe you can wait to start another game until a new class is available from a future patch, giving a reason to go through it again ( I have run through the EA content to varying degrees with about 5 or 6 characters, so I understand not necessarily wanting to do the same thing ad infinitum! ).
Posted By: RumRunner151 Re: Patch - Reset will this be a norm? - 02/12/20 04:41 AM
They were clear that EA would mean losing saves.
Posted By: Asseronia Re: Patch - Reset will this be a norm? - 02/12/20 12:20 PM
During EA - it's possible that "save wipes" will occur a few more times. If you don't want to restart - it would be better to wait for a full release.
I was able to do 2 full playthroughs (around 60 hours) and I did a hard stop. There was not much I could do in EA.

This time I plan to do 1 full detailed playthrough and stop again - there is no need to spend like 200hours in a single patch in EA - there it will be a lot of changes.
© Larian Studios forums