Larian Studios
Posted By: ExpatTarheel We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 04/12/20 10:52 PM
Overall I'm happy with the Patch 3. The fight with Priestess Gut is a lot more reasonable (i.e. it's feasible to kill her) but I've got a serious bone to pick.

We can't move barrels anymore? The best I've been able to do is drop one and hope it's in the right place.

This ties our hands tactically. With some bosses or hordes of goblins, a few barrels in the right place even the odds nicely.

So seriously, give us back the ability to move barrels.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 04/12/20 10:58 PM
I'll be curious to see how people respond to this but for this is a feature not a bug.

You can select pick up and you can drop and throw. But it's much harder to go DOS2 style of "pardon me I'm just going to put this dynamite next to your chair" thing.
No. There have been a lot more people complaining that barrelmancy was bad for the game than people who wanted the barrel situation to remain unchanged. And frankly it was ludicrous how many barrels we could carry and how far we could throw them. These aren't grenades, they're BARRELS full of stuff.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 04/12/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

You can select pick up and you can drop and throw. But it's much harder to go DOS2 style of "pardon me I'm just going to put this dynamite next to your chair" thing.

Interesting choice. For someone without access to BG3 - is there mechanical difference (actually limiting what you can do) or is it just discouraging barrelomancy via tidium?
Posted By: Baraz Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 04/12/20 11:08 PM
The issue I found before is being able to place a barrel about 15 feet away (high Str) without the enemies noticing :P

Throwing, on the other hand, triggers an impact and can be noticed. Which is more realistic.

You can still use it in your tactics, but making it more gritty or sensical is good.

nb : I have not tested the new patch, just going on what you all say here.
Posted By: guy Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 12:03 AM
You can move it, it just all shows a X for some reason.

But you had to know that throw was going to be nerfed wink
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 12:05 AM
I didn't notice any reactions to the barrel I threw. I tossed the smokpowder near the (goblin camp) zent trader and she kept pacing over the powder so adding 'noticing' would be an improvement.
Posted By: Ankou Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 01:26 AM
I loved barrelmancy. Oh well.
Posted By: asheraa Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 01:27 AM
Yeah I noticed that had changed! tried to move a bunch of oil barrels last night and ended up accidentally shooting arrows at them instead. Didn't end well! eek
Posted By: guy Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I didn't notice any reactions to the barrel I threw. I tossed the smokpowder near the (goblin camp) zent trader and she kept pacing over the powder so adding 'noticing' would be an improvement.

Agreed. Some mobs notice and react if I move things or try to iinteract... add a environmental awareness as well would be a nice feature
I noticed some changes moving any kind of objects, the trap maze in the ruins basically required me to zoom in hard to be able to move any of the vases there. Having said that, I still can pick up explosive barrels and send them to the camp, collecting them for the purpose of nuking some dragons, etc.
Posted By: AmmoMonkey Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 04:59 AM
My only complaint with nerfing this is there is some traps which have vents that were designed with moving objects on them in mind if you spotted them with perception. Also moving crates to figure out ways to get up on things. You can still move items like before but it takes some work. You have to click on something lootable and while your character is en route, you then get a hand icon which allows you to click and drag another object like before. Seems broken or not fully fixed as intended.

[Linked Image]
Uh. No.
DOS2 Larianized barrels are fine now.
Posted By: fallenj Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by AmmoMonkey
My only complaint with nerfing this is there is some traps which have vents that were designed with moving objects on them in mind if you spotted them with perception. Also moving crates to figure out ways to get up on things. You can still move items like before but it takes some work. You have to click on something lootable and while your character is en route, you then get a hand icon which allows you to click and drag another object like before. Seems broken or not fully fixed as intended.

I haven't got that far but I used vases usually for vents.
Posted By: asheraa Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 12:10 PM
Just did a trap room with heaps of vents, I can still move standard crates and vases over them.

Definitely not able to move the barrels of water/oil/firewine anymore though. That's consistently ending badly.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 03:15 PM
This is a good and appropriate improvement. Just even carrying a barrel of oil, let alone throwing it, should not be an easy thing. Apparently a lot of people have no idea what is a barrel and how big and heavy and bulky it is.

That said, the very presence of so many oil and powder barrels just lying around for anyone to take is itself a problem for me. The number of available barrels needs to be cut back, and those that are available should be harder to take and harder to use in the sense that people should notice what you are trying to do and react appropriately to it.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by kanisatha
This is a good and appropriate improvement. Just even carrying a barrel of oil, let alone throwing it, should not be an easy thing. Apparently a lot of people have no idea what is a barrel and how big and heavy and bulky it is.

That said, the very presence of so many oil and powder barrels just lying around for anyone to take is itself a problem for me. The number of available barrels needs to be cut back, and those that are available should be harder to take and harder to use in the sense that people should notice what you are trying to do and react appropriately to it.

total agreement

It makes no sense to carry or throw barrels full of oil or water.

Rolling them may be fine though.
Posted By: Baraz Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Rolling them may be fine though.

That would be so cool ! Love the visual idea of a barrel rolling, skipping a bit, more or less in the direction you wanted and breaking on impact.

( and yes Seleniumcodec maybe we could hide a Dwarf inside for a surprise attack )
Posted By: Madscientist Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 08:35 PM
Surprize attack done right:
- The dwarf rolls there in a barrel
- The rogue sneaks there to backstab with a ballista*
- The half orc berserker throws the halfling at the enemy

* Sneak attack works with ranged or finesse weapons when you have advantage
Ballista is ranged weapon
hight is advantage
so everything is fine, but the half orc berserker has to push the ballista up the hill first.
Throwing the halfling from there gives also advantage plus surprize
I guess rolling down from a hill in a barrel counts also as advantage plus surprize
Posted By: Baraz Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 05/12/20 10:19 PM
"The Dwarf is the real attack" (says the Dwarf).

Hmm, forgot we can throw teammates in this game ! Never tried it, but I know Larian told me it can be done.

nb: ah, half-orcs : they need some love. They are often among the last races added like in BG3_EA and Solasta_EA. They use to be pretty popular back in my days (AD&D).
Posted By: Grantig Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 06/12/20 12:33 PM
As I hated combat in DOS/2 I enjoy every move away from it.

But of course it's my own fault that I hoped this game would be D&D and not DOS/2, I could have assumed that Larian start with DOS/3 with D&D elements.
So, when they go more for D&D and reduce exploding ground, barrelmancy and maybe also reduce the height advantage, I'm okay with that.
Posted By: Zentu Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 06/12/20 02:02 PM
I think the issue with barrel movement was the fact it could be done from range. Making you get close and stay close to the move spot, ie carry it, is a nice compromise. You should be able to use Mage Hand or Telekinesis to move from range to some extent.

We do not need barrel movement completely removed, just tweaked to make sense.
Posted By: Sordak Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 06/12/20 05:59 PM
>carrying and throwing barrely makes no sense
none of you ever played a high str barbarian then have you?

note how all the people applauding this do so because they equate it with beeing "like DOS", which should tell you more than enaugh about how thought through their opinion is: not at all, its a kneejerk reaciton with no thought put into it, and as such it can be discounted.
Posted By: Thrandarian Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 06/12/20 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sordak
> its a kneejerk reaciton with no thought put into it, and as such it can be discounted.

I find that with a majority of this forum.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 06/12/20 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Zentu
I think the issue with barrel movement was the fact it could be done from range. Making you get close and stay close to the move spot, ie carry it, is a nice compromise. You should be able to use Mage Hand or Telekinesis to move from range to some extent.

According to PnP rules, mage hand can only move 10 (weight unit, what is it, pounds?)
You can use it for pickpocket, moving light stuff, or flip switches and such stuff, but not for showing enemies or fighting.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 06/12/20 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Zentu

Agreed.

And that's what we have. We have a compromise. If they had gone in my preferred direction the barrels would have been so heavy that only some with hill giant could throw one on their back and walk around. You can move a barrel left click, pick up, move yourself, drop it. It's just no longer there with a large flag saying "this is the way to resolve all conflicts" Which is an improvement.
Posted By: kanisatha Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 07/12/20 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sordak
>carrying and throwing barrely makes no sense
none of you ever played a high str barbarian then have you?

note how all the people applauding this do so because they equate it with beeing "like DOS", which should tell you more than enaugh about how thought through their opinion is: not at all, its a kneejerk reaciton with no thought put into it, and as such it can be discounted.

Well it's a very good thing you're not in charge of the game, and that the people who *are* in charge do understand the very reasonable points being made by critics and are refusing to "discount" them.
Posted By: T2aV Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 07/12/20 09:07 PM
I'm sadden I can't eecorate my camp anymore with barrels and those "oil" containers on the nautiloid
Posted By: Zarna Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 08/12/20 08:32 AM
I haven't got to camp yet, game keeps crashing since the update, but I was still able to pick up the oil containers. You have to right click on them to get this option.
Posted By: Evil_it_Self Re: We can't move barrels anymore? WTH? - 08/12/20 04:09 PM
all you have to do is right click on the barrel, select pick up , and then you can throw it. or send it to camp(lol that feature need to go) for future use.
they removed the "barrel move" with click and drag cuz it was to ez to make mistake and kill your own party , just because you draged a barrel of 1 mm for 0.0000000001 sec by mistake
© Larian Studios forums