Larian Studios
[Linked Image from nsa40.casimages.com]

What do you think guys ?

4) An immersive look at Karlach, Helia and even Minsc featuring Boo, despite the smell.
5) Discussing combats with Jeremy Crawford

I'm so excited. Can't wait until tommorow !
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
WotC announcing that they really like barrelmancy and huge AOE's everywhere way more than their current system, announcing a total combat overhaul for DnD 6e. /s
laugh
4) An immersive look at tieflings, spells and even cows featuring Bessie, despite the smell.
5) Discussing house rules with Jeremy Crawford
Bait.
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
4) An immersive look at tieflings, spells and even cows featuring Bessie, despite the smell.
5) Discussing house rules with Jeremy Crawford
Gods I hope this is true.
5) Discussion reactions with Jeremy Crawford.
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
5) Discussion reactions with Jeremy Crawford.
One can hope, Irencus, one can hope.
Originally Posted by marajango
WotC announcing that they really like barrelmancy and huge AOE's everywhere way more than their current system, announcing a total combat overhaul for DnD 6e. /s
laugh

Yeah I actually do think it might be COMBAT – that would fit in the gap nicely, and it’s right in JC’s wheelhouse.
5) Discussing druids with Jeremy Crawford
5) Discussing alignment with Jeremy Crawford
Originally Posted by Icelyn
5) Discussing druids with Jeremy Crawford

Well if we’re going for alliteration – “Discussing dipping with Jeremy Crawford"
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Well if we’re going for alliteration
up
This whole sentence worries me more than anything else.
Why would anyone discuss rules that are Allready written in the players handbook.

The only reason would be larian ignoring rules that won’t work in their divinity engine and they get Crawford Support to justify the shit. That all I can see I this sentence.
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
This whole sentence worries me more than anything else.
Why would anyone discuss rules that are Allready written in the players handbook.

The only reason would be larian ignoring rules that won’t work in their divinity engine and they get Crawford Support to justify the shit. That all I can see I this sentence.

Maybe to explain why they removed advantages through highground/backstab and explain players how they can increase their %to hit in RAW ? grin

This is call optimism. Hope I'll still be optimistic in a few hours^^
Just a few more hours until we find out! celebrate
laugh
God, i made the almost exact same joke in another forum.
I guess you really can't help but be suspicious, given how weirdly defensive Larian can get with some of their most, uh, questionable design decisions.

I'm also wondering if we'll hear a single word about the almost universally loathed toilet-chain control scheme.
It smells Druid : knots in wood in the figures of the countdown, vegetation on the stones, and... cow wildshape (CR 1/4) !
And it turns out that the Panel From Hell 2 is actually just a 45 minute fanart showcase. 😂
We finally have a torch icon, you guys.
Maybe it's just me but it seems that this "BIG LIST OF THINGS" amounted to pretty much nothing of genuine relevance so far.
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
It smells Druid : knots in wood in the figures of the countdown, vegetation on the stones, and... cow wildshape (CR 1/4) !

Somebody get this man a biscuit!
Someone taking notes? I got called into a meeting!
OMG - druid class is coming, I don't care, what tehy anounce else, this is great news for me. Fiannly I can play a propper tree hugger laugh
Originally Posted by Scribe
So far:
A torch icon
Druid class

They didn't go too much into detail or if they did I missed it, because the show is a technical difficulty nightmare.
Looks like Larian has no intention to make BG3 closer to actual D&D.
The druids bear form has apparently a classic video game taunt ability and the druid has no daily limit on transformations.
Originally Posted by Ixal
Looks like Larian has no intention to make BG3 closer to actual D&D.
The druids bear form has apparently a classic video game taunt ability and the druid has no daily limit on transformations.

That’s my take on it. They are doubling down on DOS mechanics.

Once I saw the tabby cat killing a goblin, I assumed Larian has no intention of making serious combat and just wants lots of explosions and cinematics. They are the Michael Bay of video games.
So far:
A torch icon
Druid class

They didn't go too much into detail or if they did I missed it, because the show is a technical difficulty nightmare.

Also some "big thing that contains lots of little things" -- which I'm hoping is the temple of Shar.

Where's my prize for guessing Teiflings, Spells and Cows smile

Edit: also after this patch, the subsequent patches will be hotpatch sized and not huge bandwith breaking sizes
I didn't really pick up anything obvious about changing the way the rules work or the other mega thread issues people raised. Some QoL changes and GUI fixes. And 1 new class. I think the druid will introduce more balance issues - wild shape seems way more powerful than the actual druid ability in 5E...how does a little kitty-kat shove someone off a building? You take on the creature's scores like strength etc. Cats are not known for their great strength... also, flaming sphere doesn't leave a trail of fire on the ground, so I hope that wasn't another way to get in a flammable surface effect (:o) I think they also mentioned witch bolt would electrify a surfaces...that's also not in in the rules, but I suppose consistent with DOS. Sounds like they're just soldiering on with their take on D&D (DOS&DOS?) regardless - encouraged by Jeremey Crawford, who seems to be egging them on. Pity. Maybe Patch 5 will do something differently.
Still happy about the druid class - and you even get that cool looking armor
Also some "big thing that contains lots of little things" -- which I'm hoping is the temple of Shar.
I... Think the big thing was supposed to be the druid class itself with its transformations.
The way he talked about Speak Dead being a 3rd level spell normally not castable by his lvl 4 party and how stupid that is also shows how little regard Larian has for D&D and its rules in general.
Seems they rather want to make a whacky DOS stile game and D&D is preventing them from doing it.
Yikes.

So looks like I fight for my refund...
Originally Posted by Tuco
I... Think the big thing was supposed to be the druid class itself with its transformations.

Ah. You're probably right.
Scratch has new collars too!
The way he talked about Speak Dead being a 3rd level spell normally not castable by his lvl 4 party and how stupid that is also shows how little regard Larian has for D&D and its rules in general.
Seems they rather want to make a whacky DOS stile game and D&D is preventing them from doing it.

Gotta speak with the dead. As we all know that’s one of the pillars of gaming...
Not gonna lie, I tried my best to be conservative with my expectations and I'm still fucking disappointed.

Absolutely no improvement (nor mention of the issues) with the party controls, no increase level cap to 5, one single new class in four months, no new races and if there are mechanical gameplay improvements they surely have made a terrible job highlighting them so far.
Okay... So finally I'm dissapointed^^

10 weeks for the druids ? It looks really interresting to play but a pannel from hell for a single class is not what I expected.
Ok so when can we expect this BIG announcement ?
Originally Posted by ste100
Already said, but... I think the "big" announcement was the druid class.
Also, the only meaningful addition of this "giant" patch.

The big announcement is the Druid class will be in the next patch.
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

Oh. Really. 2 months waiting to get 1 new class ? This is a HUGE disappointment.

With that speed we will get full game in 2024.

Oh. Really. 2 months waiting to get 1 new class ?

With that speed we will get full game in 2024.

Look at the bright side. When the nautiloid crashes, it will the night because they fixed some lighting in some cinematics.
No seriously I was expecting much more than just 1 new class and some small adjustments.
Yesterday UBI shows with Valhalla patch 1.12 how the real BIG patch should look like.
That rolling fireball spell for the wizard looks nice
I'm no expert but I do believe Flaming Sphere shouldn't have such a range.
The soloing of the hag didn't go that well - where is bullse, when you need him, our solo expert
I'm no expert but I do believe Flaming Sphere shouldn't have such a range.

You know, a badger digging the ground shouldn't be able to cross a big hole and appear on the other side..
Well he brought Gale over, when doesn't Gale get attacked by all the enemies and downed?
Originally Posted by fylimar
The soloing of the hag didn't go that well - where is bullse, when you need him, our solo expert

I think he got banned. So he’s literally solo.

Really? I missed that somehow.

I have a somewhat eclectic memory so I remember a lot of useless things. I think it’s because he told someone to “get gud” one too many times.
Wait, so, one class after 2 weeks of teasing, 2 months of nigh-radio silence, and 4 months of nothing? Should i not be dissapointed "because it's EA" or what?

I have a somewhat eclectic memory so I remember a lot of useless things. I think it’s because he told someone to “get gud” one too many times.

Oh, ok.

Back on topic: Didn't think, Gales necrosis could be used to the groups advantage - let the wizard get killed of and necrose in the enemies camp ...
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Wait, so, one class after 2 weeks of teasing, 2 months of nigh-radio silence, and 4 months of nothing? Should i not be dissapointed "because it's EA" or what?

I put in my refund request 5 minutes ago. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe it.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

You know how I feel.
Gale's necrosis, the new cheese xD
The live gameplay going on right now features eveything that is wrong with the game design : as you notice during the Hag combat, you have to already know what's going to happen to be able to enjoy the game and exploit what the devs have laid out to help you.

All the rules and balance from original D&D5 are all over the place. When he showed the stats of the blood goblins nearby the hag house, they literally had a bloodlust feature givinh them 3 attacks per action + 3d6 of healing on a successful hit. At level 4 !! What is this ?

Later in the hag lair, Sven was able to bypass the traps, to use properly the masks, to save Maryiana from the burning cage because he already knew the general layout of the level and what was going to happen.

And even with such advantage of knowing it all, it still became such a tedious fight to watch just because he had to get back up, go around the traps, go back and forth with the rest of the party... and work around the very tedious gameplay, camera and party movement...

He even said "i can't see the chat but i think im boring people right now".

Well, yes, indeed.
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Gale's necrosis, the new cheese xD

Can’t wait to kill him and leave his body in Elfsong Tavern.
I put in my refund request 5 minutes ago. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe it.

I thought you can't refund a game after more than 1 month, at least on GoG.

Looks like we signed a pact with Larian, and can't call it off. Does that mean I have powers now?
Unable to watch any longer due to dinner making commitments. Happy to see the druid make an appearance but am I right there’s been no acknowledgement of the feedback on party controls and combat after all this time? I was in no way expecting new content in terms of the map but was hoping for a couple of classes and maybe some amendments to some of of the more obvious issues.

I get the impression they are doubling down on their stance regarding homebrew rules and DOS-like mechanics.

I mean, a housecat/bobcat (druid form) killing a goblin? Even in a fantasy world with magic that’s a stretch.
INTELLECT DEVOURER WILD SHAPE! It looked as creepy as you can imagine.
No date for the patch ???

Aaaaaaaaaa...
Well looks cool. Also happy they say 'next week' not 'soon' as always. But still w8 bard ;<

Aaaaaaaaaa...

Sometime next week. Wanted it be this week but some bug is delaying things.
Originally Posted by Nibel

I thought you can't refund a game after more than 1 month, at least on GoG.

I don't know, but I'll get on a call with a support rep and complain about it regardless.

The game is EA. If I don't like the direction, I should be able to get my money back, or even credit, that I can then provide to say... Solasta.
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Unable to watch any longer due to dinner making commitments. Happy to see the druid make an appearance but am I right there’s been no acknowledgement of the feedback on party controls and combat after all this time? I was in no way expecting new content in terms of the map but was hoping for a couple of classes and maybe some amendments to some of of the more obvious issues.

I get the impression they are doubling down on their stance regarding homebrew rules and DOS-like mechanics.

I mean, a housecat/bobcat (druid form) killing a goblin? Even in a fantasy world with magic that’s a stretch.

Its over anyway.
It would depend on the stats and level. In 3E a housecat was actually quite dangerous for level 1 characters simply because there is not much room to scale down anymore once you deal with low level creatures.
But yes, they certainly are doubling down on the Larian style and their own interpretation of how the game should play out (more flashy, more special abilities, preferably unlimited, etc.)

When you are done with this livestream you can watch a live demo from Wrath of the Righteous from last year and then tell me which one feels more like BG3
Actually 'discussing advantage' does sound like the kind of non-topic you can expect from these things. dunno
If all we're getting is the druid class I'm not so sure I'm motivated to re-roll...
[quote=Etruscan]
When you are done with this livestream you can watch a live demo from Wrath of the Righteous from last year and then tell me which one feels more like BG3
Oh, about that... Now that turn-based is in beta I'd be playing Wrath of the Righteous non-stop if these fuckers at Owlcat didn't make it a 114 dollars paywall.
Originally Posted by Roethen
If all we're getting is the druid class I'm not so sure I'm motivated to re-roll...
As Patch 4 will invalidate all saves you won't have much of a choice, unless you downgrade your game to Patch 3.

It seems they also changed or improved some scenes.
As Patch 4 will invalidate all saves you won't have much of a choice, unless you downgrade your game to Patch 3.
Depending on how much has changed not everybody will be playing this patch.
Originally Posted by Rack

Somebody get this man a biscuit!

Thank you for the biscuit.
Hey Larian, i love what you do and with how much passion and work you bring things like this Panel from Hell.
However even i must say, that i expected a little bit more from the BIG patch then the druid class and some new spells.
I mean..sure, its cool as hell, especially the extra quest line, but its not bringing me back to interact through the same characters, plots and
enviroments for more than a couple of hours.

I hoped for more stuff to explore - more of act 1, new characters OR ne origin chars or anything like that.
I can't be the only one interested in how a druid character's interaction with the Grove will change. Especially if you side with the goblins.
Originally Posted by Nyloth

Well, that's cosmetic bullshit that they could save for the very last month of development for all I care.
We don't play an EA to rate the prettiness of cutscenes from 1 to 10 like judges in a beauty contest. We play it to put mechanics and encounters to the test, see them improved according to feedback, etc.

Well, that's cosmetic bullshit that they could save for the very last month of development for all I care.
We don't play an EA to rate the prettiness of cutscenes from 1 to 10 like judges in a beauty contest. We play it to put mechanics and encounters to the test, see them improved according to feedback, etc.
Cutscenes are done by different people than coding, and its very inefficient to have them sit around doing nothing while the coders are still working. That means with each big patch you get a little bit from everything.

Well, at least the cutscenes do work, after 2 months of hard labour.
Love the new Druid. Can't wait to solo with him. I play online with a buddy of mine so a party of 2 Druids is a given as well.

The new cut scene with Will looked good. Looking forward to reading the full patch notes.

This is shaping up to the best installment of Baldur's Gate yet.
If you want a comparison, Owlcat is currently streaming from the Wrath Beta in turn based mode
Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YRWsYGoz-U

Now you tell me which one looks more like BG3
I noticed Swen asking, " Is it okay if we change this?" and a man named Jeremy (I didn't hear who he was) said that board games need to be adapted to video games and that's fine. You know, I think it was a hint that they weren't going to change the mechanics much. I certainly don't care, because as a fan of video games, not board games, I'm fine with that.

But maybe it was a hint for others...
I will wait for the patch notes to see if there is something linked to our concerns about D&D homepoohed rules.
If there is nothing, I will dream about sending some messages to Wotc expressing our concerns. Like a petition.
What an utter disappointment.

I have no interest in Druid, especially if it's not even built and implemented as per the rules.

As predicted, they made some progress on cut scenes.

This is shaping up to be the weakest Baldurs Gate yet.
Originally Posted by Alodar

To be the best Larian game, sure. But this game has nothing to do with the original, no pun intended, Baldur's Gate.
I don't mind the pace of the progress (got plenty of games to play) - but this does tell me we're really far out from a release.

It's not just that only half the classes are available at this point - this current system - especially the UI (i.e. the level up menu, etc), does not take multi-classing into mind at all. Meaning even once they implement all the classes, they'll need also go through tons of changes to implement multiclassing.
If you want a comparison, Owlcat is currently streaming from the Wrath Beta in turn based mode
Code

Watching it right now, it's baffling...
I'm going to curl up in the corner and cry, don't mind me.
I will wait for the patch notes to see if there is something linked to our concerns about D&D homepoohed rules.
If there is nothing, I will dream about sending some messages to Wotc expressing our concerns. Like a petition.

I bet they don't care, Larian was openly told that they would "mix" the systems. Wotc probably knew about this.

I bet they don't care, Larian was openly told that they would "mix" the systems. Wotc probably knew about this.

I think they knew, and I think that our feedback about this are not reported to Wotc, and that Wotc is more concerned about the reaction of D&D fans than Larian.
So if Wotc could hear our concerns, they would probably be more interested in them than Larian currently is.
I noticed Swen asking, " Is it okay if we change this?" and a man named Jeremy (I didn't hear who he was) said that board games need to be adapted to video games and that's fine. You know, I think it was a hint that they weren't going to change the mechanics much. I certainly don't care, because as a fan of video games, not board games, I'm fine with that.

But maybe it was a hint for others...

Yeah I got that. Which is annoying because it's not that they are changing things that's the problem but that the changes are bad.
I like the druid and all but this was waaaaay over hyped for what seems to be little more than bug fixes and a single added class.

I think they knew, and I think that our feedback about this are not reported to Wotc, and that Wotc is more concerned about the reaction of D&D fans than Larian.
So if Wotc could hear our concerns, they would probably be more interested in them than Larian currently is.

I'll go create a Twitter account and let them know. smile

You are without doubt the worst Baldurs Gate I've ever heard of.

Hope I got the quotes right. Honestly I could see both even if the systems are frustrating me.
Originally Posted by Rack

You are without doubt the worst Baldurs Gate I've ever heard of.

Hope I got the quotes right. Honestly I could see both even if the systems are frustrating me.

It has potential, as of now, I don't expect it to be realized.

I'll go create a Twitter account and let them know. smile
Don't put too much hope into that. I doubt WotC has too much influence on Larian now although it would depend on the actual contract. But even if WotC threatens to not make future deals with them, which is probably the worst thing they can do, Larian has its own IP and does not depend on it.
I also doubt that WotC has a problem with Larian bending the rules. They are on a big D&D marketing offensive with games and the upcoming movie, so likely care more about a flashy presentation and name dropping than staying true to their rules.
Especially as with the recent books WotC has started to modify rules quite heavily themselves.
Don't put too much hope into that. I doubt WotC has too much influence on Larian now although it would depend on the actual contract. But even if WotC threatens to not make future deals with them, which is probably the worst thing they can do, Larian has its own IP and does not depend on it.
I also doubt that WotC has a problem with Larian bending the rules. They are on a big D&D marketing offensive with games and the upcoming movie, so likely care more about a flashy presentation and name dropping than staying true to their rules.
Especially as with the recent books WotC has started to modify rules quite heavily themselves.

Could we count on your signature for the petition ?
I couldn't watch, but such an event to announce one new class does seem like overkill.
Waiting for the release notes to see what bugs were fixed. I hope they did something to improve the camera movement to avoid watching floors and rocks while battle's going on out-of-sight.
I take it from the comments above that improvement of movement and ridiculous series of combat misses weren't addressed either.

On a related note... Did you guys notice that Swen keep splitting up his party for no fucking reason whatsoever and suffering the most crushing defeats because of it?

He may not be willing to admit it openly, but in his own heart even he knows that Larian's party control in BG3 is utter shit and a borderline painful experience to endure.
Originally Posted by ldo58
I couldn't watch, but such an event to announce one new class does seem like overkill.
Waiting for the release notes to see what bugs were fixed. I hope they did something to improve the camera movement to avoid watching floors and rocks while battle's going on out-of-sight.
I take it from the comments above that improvement of movement and ridiculous series of combat misses weren't addressed either.
The recording:

There is a new loaded dice option which makes the die roll less extreme (clusters the results more around 10 if I understood it right) which should address series of misses a bit (they are not totally gone though)

Sorry, no.
I do not believe in online petitions and in the end Larian should make the game they want and the commercial success or failure will prove them right (or not).
...just by watching the gameplay at the end I'm giving up on the game. All the imbalanced things that are critised are things that they proudly present as great features.

All the concerns about action economy are not addressed instead we get a druid with modified action costs - getting out of wildshape doesn't cost a bonus action anymore, so you can turn into a bird fly somewhere switch to bear and attack or just go to humanoid again and start casting from the high ground... or is your bear-form about to die on its last hitpoint? Go with a new one before they knock you down and get full hitpoints again. Since going to camp after each encounter is still a thing, who cares about 'wasting' one of the wildshapes.... and yeah, isn't it level 8 druid before you can turn into a beast with flying speed? Might be I'm missing something but birds do fly and level cap is 4, right? So another balancing change for that is necessary because computer... right...

Even the WotC guy was there for the reason I expected - yeah, there are limitations to tabletop and that's why its fine that changes are made. He was kind enough to ignore the balancing arguments for why it requires a bonus action to turn off wildshape and why no flying speed - its definitely not because 'we don't know what you might encounter in your tt-adventure' - most will see birds even without being adventurers.

So yeah, whatever BG3 is going to be its not going to be a good 5e implementation. I'm done with it and removing it from the disk, waiting to see if the full version will at least be fun for me. I'm certain others will rightfully enjoy it, but most likely this is my last Larian game.
I'm a little disappointed. Not about what they showed, I like that stuff. I'm disappointed about what they didn't show. Now I have a better idea of how things are going so my expectations are lower. I'm guessing 1 class per patch and the final patch before launch will be the remaining companions. I'm not as frustrated as some others though even though I was hoping for paladin. I'm patient enough so I don't mind the waiting as much and the druid is cool even though its not my style. I enjoyed what they showed and its nice to see some stuff.

I'm just worried, borderline lost hope, for martial classes. They really look boring by comparison so far. I'm really hoping they go all out for barbarian and paladin. I like fighter, but jeez to me it feels like you have no options compared to the more flashy classes. Really a "feels" more than anything. Thats just me though. I've seen some upset, but I'm not one of them.

On a related note... Did you guys notice that Swen keep splitting up his party for no fucking reason whatsoever and suffering the most crushing defeats because of it?

He may not be willing to admit it openly, but in his own heart even he knows that Larian's party control in BG3 is utter shit and a borderline painful experience to endure.

I think he did it because he wanted to showcase how powerful the druid could be solo on the hag fight, but nonetheless, he did end up showing how terrible party management is in the game. Most of that "fight" was just him trying to get all of the party members to the right spot. Watching him dealing with the traps, then trying to bring in the two other members, felt like such a drag.

And he would have wiped long ago if he didnt know what to expect from the fight. Most of the time in the game, you HAVE to bring all of your characters one by one literally because you don't know what to expect from the fights and the last thing you want is to get outnumbered with half your party poorly positioned at the other side of the map. The game is just you learning the encounters by trial and error to the point you know them well enougj you can start to "exploit" them and from then, it's a cakewalk.

Micromanagement in this game breaks so much of the flow, at one point during the fight Sven even said "I'm not watching the chat but Im sure Im boring them" and he was right.

Yeah, he did that a lot. I do it sometimes to get a group in the middle, but the group is not totally scattered. And I never leave those masks in the hags dungeon alive, it's just an unnecessary hardmode for the next fight.
Originally Posted by ldo58
The recording:

There is a new loaded dice option which makes the die roll less extreme (clusters the results more around 10 if I understood it right) which should address series of misses a bit (they are not totally gone though)

Sorry, no.
I do not believe in online petitions and in the end Larian should make the game they want and the commercial success or failure will prove them right (or not).

Personnally, I am sad when part of a commercial success is based on a lie. "True to D&D5" is so far a lie.
Watching this with a group of fans was pretty fun. Druid class isn't interesting to me, but I'm willing to try it. I think the manner of drumming up excitement for this coming patch really works for the people who actually get excited, interact on twitter and spread the word around and I think that's the point. The people who will gush about the new features and overall who participate in fandom seemed to have a good time.

For all other folks, its worth it to read between the lines under the school play performance if you think that stuff is cringe rather than endearing. One of the main focuses of half the EA is the Druids Grove. They just properly implemented the class of half the potential combatants in the Grove. They've added different ways of handling situations with the Druid tag - and in expanding the end result of saving the grove there may be expansion of the Goblin route. Hell, I'm hoping Kagha gets some emphasis, seeing as I believe it's her voice narrating the patch trailer. I welcome glorious bug fixes.

I feel like a few of you who are disappointed will be able to get interested once the patch notes come out on patch day.

I also noticed that he kept focusing on shoving as his key to victory, as opposed to any of the D&D mechanics available to him. For better or for worse, he comes off as the type of D&D player that will never take an action per the rules but always needs to do something "creative" lol, like :

DM: Sven, it's your turn, the monster is prone and helpless before you with *hint hint* 1 hp, what do you do?

Sven: I'm going to do a dope backflip onto that far away platform, MacGyver a bomb from the fertilizer I have in my inventory, toss it into the chandelier, blow that up so that broken glass falls everywhere, and while that's happening I'm going to cast minor illusion (because it's always minor illusion) into the flying crystals so a holographic light show of this monster's defeat at our hands will replay as a 360 degree projection, and the monster will have to see and be reminded of the humiliation that it suffered at our hands.

DM: ... you fail your acrobatics check and break your neck.
Well, I'm the eternal optimist, and I hope I can inject a little bit of hope into this discussion. There have been 4 months of game development, and I believe the fact that little of it has touched what we have seen in Early Access bodes somewhat well. It means that they're forging ahead and working on what is to come. If there has been a conspicuous little done in what we have seen, that means that there must have been a lot done in what we have not, which I find comforting.
Originally Posted by Topgoon

I also noticed that he kept focusing on shoving as his key to victory, as opposed to any of the D&D mechanics available to him. For better or for worse, he comes off the D&D player that will never take an action per the rules but always needs to do something "creative" lol, like :

DM: Sven, it's your turn, the monster is prone and helpless before you with *hint hint* 1 hp, what do you do?

Sven: I'm going to do a dope backflip onto that far away platform, MacGyver a bomb from the fertilizer I have in my inventory, toss it into the chandelier, blow that up so that broken glass falls everywhere, and while that's happening I'm going to cast minor illusion (because it's always minor illusion) into the flying crystals so a holographic light show of this monster's defeat at our hands will replay as a 360 degree projection, and the monster will have to see and be reminded of the humiliation that it suffered at our hands.

Sounds like another of critical role's Scanlan MVP moves right there.
Excited for Druids, but the way they hyped up this patch made me think there was going to be more than just a new class. I was really hoping for the Druid companion, or even Act "1-B" to be part of it. However, if this patch is as big as they're saying it'll be, presumably most of the content related to a meatier update with stuff like other classes, new areas, and new quests will be included in Patch 4. Which means I'm curious to see what Dataminers find when they work their magic.

I also noticed that he kept focusing on shoving as his key to victory, as opposed to any of the D&D mechanics available to him. For better or for worse, he comes off as the type of D&D player that will never take an action per the rules but always needs to do something "creative" lol, like :

Personally, I love players like that. Wacky and creative solutions to problems make DnD the great game that is. Thats an excessive action, I must agree, but having players try something creative that's kind of a long shot is always hilarious and fun. I find your mockery confusing.
Originally Posted by Amadis33
Excited for Druids, but the way they hyped up this patch made me think there was going to be more than just a new class. I was really hoping for the Druid companion, or even Act "1-B" to be part of it. However, if this patch is as big as they're saying it'll be, presumably most of the content related to a meatier update with stuff like other classes, new areas, and new quests will be included in Patch 4. Which means I'm curious to see what Dataminers find when they work their magic.

Going by the press for the Patch 4 announcement, this is essentially all we're getting this time around. Honestly, with the pace of content being released I'd rather they not even bother updating EA beyond bug fixes until release and instead actually tell/show people what they're working on. I don't see the point of an EA where nothing significant really changes when they could've released a (free) demo and been done with it.

On another note, it definitely seems they're leaning into the "everything must be AWESOME" design philosophy, which (for me) doesn't bode well. You can get around designing a game system based on "what looks/feels cool" in a FPS and such because they're typically a) much shorter, b) faster paced, and c) less numbers-oriented, but for a party-based RPG this doesn't fit at all. Focusing on over-the-top cheese mechanics because they seem cooler than standard rules is a good way to end up with a very broken combat system that funnels players into a certain style of play. I think the new Pathfinder stands in contrast to this because combat is both engaging and thoughtful in a way BGIII isn't.
Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
Personally, I love players like that. Wacky and creative solutions to problems make DnD the great game that is. Thats an excessive action, I must agree, but having players try something creative that's kind of a long shot is always hilarious and fun. I find your mockery confusing.

But if every encounter becomes like this, it is no longer wacky or funny or innovative. An instance like that would be wonderful once in a while, if that, but not all the time and that is precisely the issue.
I doubt WotC has too much influence on Larian now although it would depend on the actual contract.
They definitely have influence. It is a billionaire company, they pay the best lawyers to write such contracts, and since they have the bargaining power, it makes sense that they write the contracts in their favor.
I still think its illogical to not enforce the rules, given that doing so could lead to cross-sales and sell more books, which would in turn create more D&D fans that would consume other D&D products.
The game can be flashy and cinematic AND follow the rules. Gamers will play regardless, the D&D crowd will be turned down though, and the books are more popular than ever.
Code

omg, that looks so good.

The comment was a reply to a sub-discussion about "unnecessary actions that lead to crushing defeat", so that's kind of the context to it.

I agree that creative actions should be encouraged at the table, but the context definitely matters.

An "always creative" player can become completely detrimental to the group (key being always) when every one of their turns takes 5-10 minutes longer than anyone else because it becomes a bargaining session between them and the DM. It's also problematic when said "creative" player is coming up with those solutions by completely neglecting to read the actual description of their abilities or spells.

E.g. "I'm going to minor illusion the orc's zombie mother screaming at her son to scare the orc" isn't a creative use of the spell - it just actively dismisses the limitations of it. Extra points of bad if they've never actually met the orc's mother.
Originally Posted by Danielbda
I doubt WotC has too much influence on Larian now although it would depend on the actual contract.
They definitely have influence. It is a billionaire company, they pay the best lawyers to write such contracts, and since they have the bargaining power, it makes sense that they write the contracts in their favor.
I still think its illogical to not enforce the rules, given that doing so could lead to cross-sales and sell more books, which would in turn create more D&D fans that would consume other D&D products.
The game can be flashy and cinematic AND follow the rules. Gamers will play regardless, the D&D crowd will be turned down though, and the books are more popular than ever.
i agree with danielbda - if anything, id argue that wotc has a history of being fairly protective of the content and image of their licenses/ips, including fairly recently.

altho if wotc did have an issue with larians approach to bg3 theyd likely have taken some action, but based on the panel comments from today they seem not too concerned - which concerns me, lol

Aaaaaaaaaa...

Well, after the first panel from hell, patch 1 came out 2 months later so patch 4 should be out in April, maybe.
I don't mind the pace of the progress (got plenty of games to play) - but this does tell me we're really far out from a release.

It's not just that only half the classes are available at this point - this current system - especially the UI (i.e. the level up menu, etc), does not take multi-classing into mind at all. Meaning even once they implement all the classes, they'll need also go through tons of changes to implement multiclassing.

Multiclassing is an optional rule though and I will be surprised if Larian bothers to do it for release.
I am happy and satisfied after all at least one more class released Druid.

Oh on the other hand I do NOT want Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 released in Early Access at all! I do not cry for higher level then 4 in Early Access.

There was though area 1B undone of Early Access Act 1.

Well they have increased if I exaggerate perhaps slightly from roughly 150 to 400 developers which is huge. It is also Epic they have persons in the team that have made LOTR or Starwars movies.

It is also EPIC they code it in different times zones and newest group is in UK which is nice though Belgium is roughly same time zone as UK... but the point here was to increase the amount of developers.

I was not disappointed.

Druid released in Circle of the Moon and Circle of the Land which is great. Now if some hardcore DD player here want it more close to DD fuck that idea I think. They did give shape shifting in Moon form as free action (number shapeshift/day still limited) but you can not shape shift to all forms forget Dinosaurs and Tyrannosaurus Rex.

A lot of other small things , but I rather not mention them check by playing or see the youtube video.
I love druids and am excited to play them in the next patch! The various animals look great (except for the spider), and I also like that they are adding a quest for druids. Another thing I am happy to see is that they are adding the ability to target spells by clicking on character portraits. I always enjoy the cinematic updates as well.
Originally Posted by nation
i agree with danielbda - if anything, id argue that wotc has a history of being fairly protective of the content and image of their licenses/ips, including fairly recently.

altho if wotc did have an issue with larians approach to bg3 theyd likely have taken some action, but based on the panel comments from today they seem not too concerned - which concerns me, lol

They only care about the IP but not the rules. You can see it in their most recent video games. Sword Coast Legends, Neverwinter Online and now BG3 are only D&D in name only. They have the setting and monsters but toss out the ruleset as they please. I don’t think WotC cares about tabletop. It’s the IP and trademarks that matter.

So they let companies butcher their rules system but heaven help anyone that tries to steal beholders or mind flayers.
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

Multiclassing is an optional rule though and I will be surprised if Larian bothers to do it for release.
They've actually addressed this one, and mentioned that they're saving it for full release, but they will be including it.
They've actually addressed this one, and mentioned that they're saving it for full release, but they will be including it.
Sorry to burst your bubble... many times developers promise this or that.

They still have a time table... it could be that decide that multi classing will be done after full game release at some point.

Do not get me wrong I like this game and I am happy with patch 4 content and that development resources (more developers) has increased a lot and that we get Druids class and other good stuff.

I am not saying they will not include multiclassing at release. I am only saying it is not absolute 100% certain that it is included at full release.
Originally Posted by Terminator2020

They still have a time table... it could be that decide that multi classing will be done after full game release at some point.

Do not get me wrong I like this game and I am happy with patch 4 content and that development resource has increased a lot and that we get Druids class and other good stuff.

I am not saying they will not include multiclassing at release. I am only saying it is not 100% certain.

Agreed, Swen said this project has turned out to be much bigger than they expected, and they’ve already opened a couple of extra studios around the world to cope. I’m sure some things will be trimmed off their original intention, maybe we’ll get some more game mechanics like multiclassing as part of future releases or DLCs.

Do not get me wrong I like this game and I am happy with patch 4 content and that development resource has increased a lot and that we get Druids class and other good stuff.

I am not saying they will not include multiclassing at release. I am only saying it is not absolute 100% certain that it is included at full release.
You know what? Fair. However, I believe that them claiming that they will add something definitely increases the probability of its addition greatly as opposed to no information at all.
Originally Posted by biomag
Even the WotC guy was there for the reason I expected - yeah, there are limitations to tabletop and that's why its fine that changes are made. He was kind enough to ignore the balancing arguments for why it requires a bonus action to turn off wildshape and why no flying speed - its definitely not because 'we don't know what you might encounter in your tt-adventure' - most will see birds even without being adventurers.
this is so true - like, we can debate the changes that larian made to the wild shape mechanic and adapting to a computer versus human dm, but crawford didnt even address that.

larian presented wild shape action economy changes for a pc game with a 'hey, we changed this mechanic bc cool/fun - is that alright/what are your thoughts on these changes?', and crawfords response doesnt address the mechanical fallout of the change at all, and instead responds with the rationale as to why mechanics in the tabletop game restricting a druid's wild shape ability were structured in such a way (ie not to slow down the game for others at the table and not overpowering/unbalancing the game in the favor of the druid class) - it came off hollow and makes it sound like wotc isnt actually that closely involved in bg3's development at all tbh

You know what? Fair. However, I believe that them claiming that they will add something definitely increases the probability of its addition greatly as opposed to no information at all.
swen and members of the larian team had a reddit ama last year where they indicated that multi-classing would be in bg3. idk if this has changed since - at the time the message was that multi-classing wouldnt be available in ea at launch, but that the team was planning to add it later
for whatever its worth. i too hope that larian includes multi-classing at some point, but 'planning to add it later' could range anywhere from next week when swen mentioned patch 4 may drop to well after full launch - idk if larian even knows
Well it was nice to hear from members of their team taking pride in the project, and it was certainly interesting to watch Sven play, but I guess there is no patch today?

I was really hoping to dive back in and roll up a Druid tonight. Like I was fully prepared to set aside my gripes on the other stuff and just do another full run, but it seems like more wait and see now I guess?

I kind of feel like I just camped out overnight in excitement for a special screening of a Star Wars premier, only to find out that there wasn't any actual movie, but just another trailer for it lol

Back to BG2 for another month?
for whatever its worth. i too hope that larian includes multi-classing at some point, but 'planning to add it later' could range anywhere from next week when swen mentioned patch 4 may drop to well after full launch - idk if larian even knows
Maybe coming with the Baldur's Gate III: Definitive Edition.
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
but I guess there is no patch today?

Still stuck in testing, release next week (but no guarantee)
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Well it was nice to hear from members of their team taking pride in the project, and it was certainly interesting to watch Sven play, but I guess there is no patch today?

I was really hoping to dive back in and roll up a Druid tonight. Like I was fully prepared to set aside my gripes on the other stuff and just do another full run, but it seems like more wait and see now I guess?

I kind of feel like I just camped out overnight in excitement for a special screening of a Star Wars premier, only to find out that there wasn't any actual movie, but just another trailer for it lol

Back to BG2 for another month?
Apparently they found a bunch of game-breaking glitches, and they're working out some of the issues before they ship it sometime next week.
FINALLY. Been waiting for the druid since EA began. Now I just need half-orcs and dragonborn to make the characters of my dreams.

For now... Maybe a dwarf druid will be sufficient to sate my appetite.
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Swen said this project has turned out to be much bigger than they expected, and they’ve already opened a couple of extra studios around the world to cope. I’m sure some things will be trimmed off their original intention, maybe we’ll get some more game mechanics like multiclassing as part of future releases or DLCs.

Doesn't bode well for the future of cutscene heavy programs. I'll wait until the patch actually lands but I was hoping for more than one extra class. I thought Karlach / the Paladin class was ll but a given. I suspect that the cutscenes are draining resources -- which is disappointing because I view them once and space bar through the second time.

I'd trade all the cutscenes for one extra area.
I am very much looking forward to playing a druid. If the patch also fixes the bugged triggers for some of Gale's post-party scenes, I'll be over the moon.
Absolutely disappointed.

They seem to admire the hype cult of Nightcity wire. But their PR is way less professional.

The direction the game is taking is really worrisome. Swen and Larian enjoy a lot of metagaming and it doesn't really match with meaningful roleplay.
© Larian Studios forums