Larian Studios
So it looks like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 just jumped developers, entering development hell for at least another two years... and my biggest fear is that the new studio is Larian, chosen because of their sexy vampire / loss of humanity BG3 storyline.

As much as I love both franchises, I'm praying to the gods and the Elders that it's not Larian, who has already one massive legacy RPG project to deliver.

Although, like the Kombucha girl, if it was Larian bringing branching, dialogue and voice actors to the VtM table... I might be willing to wait for another five years.

UGH anticipation is such a cruel master.
VtM is going to be DoA and we're all SoL laugh

I REALLY hope it's awesome though! I'm just pessimistic
I'm not crying, you are crying T_T
The fear and paranoia partially comes from the Pannel from Hell announcement that they had hired a bunch of people and opened more studios to be able to develop on a 24/7 cycle... which to my supsicious mind either signals a huge investment or a huge project, besides BG3.

Gnng.
I saw they fired the lead's some time ago, but I never saw why?

Pretty sure that project is dead now.
It could be worse wink
Who knows, Maybe Larian will inherit Bloodlines, and then BG3 will be given to someone that's interested in making a D&D game.
This is not a BG3 thread. I am not a moderator, just saying.
Why would it go to Larian? They make mostly turn based tactical RPGs. Vampire: The Masquerade is an action RPG. Completely different style of game.
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Why would it go to Larian? They make mostly turn based tactical RPGs. Vampire: The Masquerade is an action RPG. Completely different style of game.

Larian did make action RPGs before. They even made a RTS. It's not like the DOS games are the only games they have ever made.

That said, this thread is silly. If Larian randomly acquired another project out of nowhere, they would have announced it by now. They already straight up pulled the plug on Divinity: Fallen Heroes in favor of BG3. Larian is more likely to be simultaneously working on another DOS project, restarting development on Fallen Heroes, or hopefully building an entirely new engine for an inevitable sequel to BG3.
Bloodlines 2 is a sad topic for me. Bloodlines is for me the best game ever made, great story, some of the best npcs, I ever encountered (Gary Golden or Beckett for example) and a really nice atmosphere.
That they fired the mastermind Brian Mitsoda in the new project, did put a damper on my enthusiasm.
So my hopes are: whatever studio is going to take over Bloodlines 2, I hope, they'll bring back Mitsoda and his great writing.
I love to talk about Bloodlines a lot more, but I guess, this topic will probably be moved to general chat.
I don't think it would go to larian? BG3 made sense cause Larian has had a lot of success with 3rd person isometric rpgs, Bloodlines is a first person action rpg. While companies sometimes do something away from their specialty or they diversify, I don't think VTM would be the property for them to diversify on. Additionally, BG3 is a BIG project, so they likely could not afford to take on another large project like that.
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

You might consider going slowly on acronyms, people are reading you and I have no idea what you just wrote.
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I don't think it would go to larian? BG3 made sense cause Larian has had a lot of success with 3rd person isometric rpgs, Bloodlines is a first person action rpg. While companies sometimes do something away from their specialty or they diversify, I don't think VTM would be the property for them to diversify on. Additionally, BG3 is a BIG project, so they likely could not afford to take on another large project like that.

You could take a look at divinity and divinity ego draconis, they are Larian's first games and are first person action rpgs. They are really good, if you have some time you can try them. smile
Originally Posted by Umsche
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

You could take a look at divinity and divinity ego draconis, they are Larian's first games and are first person action rpgs. They are really good, if you have some time you can try them. smile

I did not know that, I have one of them but haven't started it yet. I have mostly been familiar with the Original Sin Series, but I will retract my statement on diversifying. However I do maintain that they have a really big project right now, it is unlikely they would be handed the property while they are working on BG3 and if they are handed it, it could be a bad idea as they could be stretched thin even with expanding their company.
IF Vampire BL2 goes to Larian you can Kiss your vampire rules bye bye. But i am sure they get someone from former WHite Wolf to approve why vampire are now in Daylight fighting. And sure it will have NOTHING to do with their engine not able to deal with a simple day night cycle.
Originally Posted by Umsche
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

You might consider going slowly on acronyms, people are reading you and I have no idea what you just wrote.

context is key. only takes a moment.

VTM = vampyre the masquerade
DOA = dead on arrival
SOL = s*** out of luck.

I read it just fine?
I highly doubt that Larian has currently the capacity to develop a second game. They are already struggling with BG3.

Also, while the chaos surrounding Bloodlines 2 is regrettable, its not that the original studio was doing a great job either, so its not all that much of a loss.
Its strange how all WOD games seem to be cursed....
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
IF Vampire BL2 goes to Larian you can Kiss your vampire rules bye bye. But i am sure they get someone from former WHite Wolf to approve why vampire are now in Daylight fighting. And sure it will have NOTHING to do with their engine not able to deal with a simple day night cycle.
You don't need a day/night cycle. In Bloodlines it was always night, which makes sense, since your character will never run around in daylight.
Plus, they simplified the rules in the first game too, so it's not as if it were a totally faithful adaption of the pen & paper version. It still is one of the best games for me.
Larian has their hands busy, and will have their hands busy for some time. Bloodlines is also a completely different type of a game (no matter if you point to original or what was shaping up).

Bloodlines2 seemed to be troubled for quite some time. So far the game was flashing all the warning signs.
Also if I am not mistaken Larian self publishes their games, so I am not sure they are interested in suddenly developing a game for someone else.
I realise that this thread is not really about BG3, but I'm happy to leave it here for the time being.

Should it remain active but veer off into a discussion of Vampire (or any other non-BG3 game), then it will be moved to a more appropriate area.
I would be happy, if this would become a Bloodlines discussion thread (in the appropriate section of the forum of course), since in the Bloodlines forum most discussions are centered around the catastrophic B2 development. And I really don't want to think about that.
That might also the reason, I don't have much criticism for BG3, at least, that game is partly playable now (and the story is quite good) and will most likely be published in full. We Bloodlines fans might not even get this far and I have used up all my disappointment on that already.
yeah i;ll just make something up and then post it on forums what could go wrong.

Bloodlines 2 is probably dead anyway... The first one was a nice RPg for the time it was made.
I hope it goes to Obsidian then. I think some of the developers of the original Bloodlines now work there.
Originally Posted by Sadurian
I realise that this thread is not really about BG3, but I'm happy to leave it here for the time being.

Should it remain active but veer off into a discussion of Vampire (or any other non-BG3 game), then it will be moved to a more appropriate area.

Thank you, Sadurian -- I didn't know where to put it, and it was started in a kind of post-announcement panic, because BG3's writers would really jive with World of Darkness vibes. It's such a dark, bloodthirsty game hehe
I mean, even the companions kind of fit Kindred archetypes --Gale is a Tremere, Shadowheart is a Lasombra, Astarion as a Toreador, Lae'zel is a Brujah and Wyll a Banu Haqim. Even the use of tadpole powers and the loss of control mirrors VtM's loss of humanity.

Also... I'm not the only one thinking and fearing that Larian would be a fantastic studio for Vampire: The Masquerade. Please don't take on more than you can chew. Please.

I would be OK with Larian, I only want Mitsoda back. He made the first game the gem it is today.
I would make Wyll a Brujah btw. They are often idealistic and have a code if honour.
And Astarion a Toreador Antitribu. They use their love for arts mostly for perfecting torturing and suffering (not umsimlar to the Tzimisce), which fits perfectly with Astarion.
Lae'zel would also be a great assamite warrior cast.
My player characters are most likely all Malkavians.
Originally Posted by fylimar
I would be OK with Larian, I only want Mitsoda back. He made the first game the gem it is today.
I would make Wyll a Brujah btw. They are often idealistic and have a code if honour.
And Astarion a Toreador Antitribu. They use their love for arts mostly for perfecting torturing and suffering (not umsimlar to the Tzimisce), which fits perfectly with Astarion.

Hehe, my BG3 characters are definitely Gangrel -- three Rangers in a row who like sleeping rough and can speak to animals, and, very soon, a druid.

EDIT: Wait, is Halsin the Beckett of Baldur's Gate 3?
Originally Posted by BeeBee

Hehe, my BG3 characters are definitely Gangrel -- three Rangers in a row who like sleeping rough and can speak to animals, and, very soon, a druid.

EDIT: Wait, is Halsin the Beckett of Baldur's Gate 3?

He is a bit too nice to be Beckett, but he goes in that direction. I somehow can't see Halsin breaking into a nightclub to steal a book that belongs to infamous Sascha Vykos (one of my favorite npcs in the WoD btw) or trying to trick Dracula and survive to tell about it. But yeah, Halsin is certainly the guy that knows a lot and can turn into an animal.

My halfling ranger Sigrun Was clearly a gangrel. I'm planning to remake her as a druid once that is possible.
Originally Posted by Danielbda
I hope it goes to Obsidian then.
ekhm, no. Bloodlines2 are Paradox, and Obsidian is Microsoft's. And Obsidian has their hands full, currently working on multiple projects. Microsoft could buy Paradox though... nothing will surprise me now.

New candidates for Bloodlines2 are studios that Paradox can afford or someone in house (I don't know who and how many studios does Paradox own). The high profile RPG studios are owned by Microsoft right now, and all have their own games to worry about. I doubt anyone famous will be willing to jump in that late into the project and clean the mess left by previous studio. Unless they hit complete reset button (and therefore delay game by another couple years) whomever comes next will have to build on what was done so far. And Paradox must have pulled the plug for a reason.
He is a bit too nice to be Beckett, but he goes in that direction. I somehow can't see Halsin breaking into a nightclub to steal a book that belongs to infamous Sascha Vykos (one of my favorite npcs in the WoD btw) or trying to trick Dracula and survive to tell about it. But yeah, Halsin is certainly the guy that knows a lot and can turn into an animal.

I don't know, Halsin broke into a goblin camp with drums on every corner to track down a Nightsong... and it looks like we are heading either to the Shadowlands, Barovia or the Outer City Cemetery to face against a vampire lord with Bela Lugosi vibes. He even supervises the written History of the Grove (like Beckett) and seems to have a tragic love story in his past (like Beckett), to the point that one of his apprentices is writing fanfictions about it.
Originally Posted by BeeBee

I don't know, Halsin broke into a goblin camp with drums on every corner to track down a Nightsong... and it looks like we are heading either to the Shadowlands, Barovia or the Outer City Cemetery to face against a vampire lord with Bela Lugosi vibes. He even supervises the written History of the Grove (like Beckett) and seems to have a tragic love story in his past (like Beckett), to the point that one of his apprentices is writing fanfictions about it.

Ok, I see the similarities. Cazador sounds a bit like a cliche Tzimisce. I hope, when we meet him, he is a bit more fleshed out than it seems atm (if wee meet him, I might just strangle Astarion before that).

But I never catched on the tragic lovestory of Halsin. Is that in a book lying around in the grove? I thought, I've read them all. I always thought, he and Kagha might have history. When she dies, he seems to take her death very personal. On teh otehr hand, he never even looses a word about Nettie, his apprentice, being dead, if you kill her.

Did you read Becketts Jyhad diary? It's so much fun. The chapter where he and Vykos had to work together was hilarious.
But I never caught on the tragic love story of Halsin. Is that in a book lying around in the grove? I thought, I've read them all. I always thought, he and Kagha might have history. When she dies, he seems to take her death very personal. On the other hand, he never even loses a word about Nettie, his apprentice, being dead, if you kill her.

Now that I've gone back to read all the canon hints, I think that you are right. It's not explicit... however...

A video

What happened at Moonrise Towers?

Halsin killed a Harper named Isobel at Moonrise Towers using the Glaive under the Grove; he thinks that the death was accidental, born from the heat of a deal gone wrong, and that she never actually posed a menace. Isobel was the daughter of Ketheric, who was the Shar Justicar who turned the Nightsong into a weapon of Shar. Halsin believes that him killing Isobel pushed Ketheric to the dark side of the Force and to unleash the Shadowcurse.

The in-game Hot!Druid fanfic:

Now, this is where things get interesting... the in-game fanfic has many of the same flaws as real life ones: self-insert Gary Stu protagonist who sacrifices himself to save the day, and exaggerated versions of real characters who live in the end. In the fanfic, Balsin = Halsin, so Isobel must be Selene, the blue-eyed brunette Harper who goes to Moonhaven /Moonrise Towers and, in the fanfic's happy ending, is standing next to Balsin. I think that there's a nugget of truth in that story: Isobel was probably a Harper who tried to broker a deal between her father and the Druids.

My theories about Halsin's Subplot:

When Isobel's parentage was discovered, the Druids might have panicked, thinking that she led them into an ambush, which is when Halsin accidentally killed her. Ketheric, in despair, might have tried to keep his daughter alive by any means necessary, even if that meant transforming her into the Nightsong, effectively splitting her from the Moon-blessed bards. This would also be an iteration of the myth of Shar and Selune, the division of one Moon Goddess into two separate entities. After all, Selene is the Greek name of the Moon.

From a romantic fanficcy perspective, Halsin might be on a quest to make Isobel whole again. Her spirit is still haunting Moonrise Towers, and the Nightsong will ask the party to release her from her curse. This mirrors the way in which the PC has to come to trust and love all the aspects of their companions, the dark and the light, without "accidentally" killing them in the process, no matter who their daddy or mommy is.

But also, if you squint, "Halsin" sounds like "Helsing". I will bet 1000 gold and two snacks for Gale that he will be part of the Cazador Heist.
I think, the romance part is more a construct by that fanfiction writing druid, but the rest is pretty interesting. Tbh - the part in the video about
the Nightsong and how she came to be (btw, awful armor, but nice hair) made me think, that the same could have happened to Shadowheart. So I'm not sure about the whole Halsin helping to hunt Cazador part, but I'm pretty sure, we will find out, that Ketheric had brainwashed SH to become a Shar worshipper - that seems to be his style. And that would explain, why she isn't evil enough for a real Shar worshipper.

Btw: I did read that fanfiction, I think, it was in Netties room, but I totally forgot about it.
Hahahha

So funny.

Larian is barely holding together.
What a nightmare it would be if Larian ended up doing to VTM what they have done to Baldur's Gate.
...has there been any indication at all that Larian is being considered? An implication? One shred of evidence anywhere?
This is mighty off-topic.
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
...has there been any indication at all that Larian is being considered? An implication? One shred of evidence anywhere?
Absolutely none, and it seems highly unlikely.
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

None at all, other than VtM fans mentioning that it would be a reasonable option AND my paranoid-fueled speculations based on the thematical and character similarities between BG3 and VtM.
© Larian Studios forums