Larian Studios
There are so many great threads in this forum, and a big group of very enthusiastic and passionate contributors beavering away here every day.

We also know that there are some very creative and clever folk at Larian.

But what we’re missing is any indication at all that you’re listening to us on this forum. The obvious solution would be for you to make a post here once in a while.

There are likely some of the hundreds of Larian employees drifting in here occasionally who would love nothing more than to say something but cannot. As I said, you’re clever and creative… just give us a sign!

IDK, maybe pop some names we’ll recognise into one of the many books scattered around Act I… Saito? Niara? Drath? …Tuco? Someone will find it, and we’ll know we’re not just talking into a void.

Thank you.
I don't know why. But I really love this, the title is perfect. And I do agree, (speaking into spirit box) GIVE US A SIGN
I am honored and freaked out that my name was the first one you thought of, when I'm a newcomer compared to most people in these parts, ha. (I may have registered back in early December, but I didn't really start posting until a week and a half ago.)

If I'm to be referenced at all, it should just be limited to the effect of someone writing in a random discarded journal, "A strange Bard showed up a few hours ago. He kept asking a bunch of annoying questions, the type that means he's not from these parts. If he is, what the hell kind of name is Saito? Well, it won't matter, we're going to rob the sucker soon. He's just one Bard, what can go wrong?"
Likewise, flattered to be in your short-list, LukasPrism. The suggestion of community-related easter-eggs is funny. I could picture Ilyn Thot's medical journal mentioning "Drath came to consult for a sore throat. Sage and lemon infusions worked wonders". Or references to old forum memes. I could see the goblins telling Volo "we demand more sexy tales of our heroics". Or Lae'zel, fearing transformation, saying "oh no, I am become a monster".

That being said, I think it's clear that Larian does read the forums and other social media. Why they remain mostly silent and why their communications avoid giving any indication of what they're aiming for, that's a bit of mystery to me, and it sounds counter-productive (but I'm no expert). I have a number of hypotheses, but whatever. It seems clear that Larian doesn't plan to change that.

Would I personally find some creative, secret winks and nods to us concretely useful ? Not really. Could it be fun ? Sure ! Harmless fun.
Apparently we are minority and all other silent fans help devs develop the game!! The more noise we make the less they care... you need to be the silent type for them to lisen.:))
Alas, I fear I am far too serious a person/poster to be fit for an amusing easter-egg, though I do appreciate the vote of competence as a poster of note here ^.^
Their last Panel From Hell answers your question.
No, they're not listening.
COW though! They paid someone to bring a COW on set!
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
COW though! They paid someone to bring a COW on set!
Maybe it just was "bring your pet to work" day. That's discrimination. No one batted an eye, when they had a dog in the earlier video.
It's a good list for any Larian employees to pick up. If anyone is scanning the forum they can just pick up Niara's posts and use them as a to do list.

Everyone might already know that the ToB's NPCs were Bioware forum members. Frozen-yakman made it into both IWD2 and ToB. Gromnir Il-Khan still posts on the Obsidian forums.
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
There are so many great threads in this forum, and a big group of very enthusiastic and passionate contributors beavering away here every day.

We also know that there are some very creative and clever folk at Larian.

But what we’re missing is any indication at all that you’re listening to us on this forum. The obvious solution would be for you to make a post here once in a while.

There are likely some of the hundreds of Larian employees drifting in here occasionally who would love nothing more than to say something but cannot. As I said, you’re clever and creative… just give us a sign!

IDK, maybe pop some names we’ll recognise into one of the many books scattered around Act I… Saito? Niara? Drath? …Tuco? Someone will find it, and we’ll know we’re not just talking into a void.

Thank you.

I would certainly love more direct conversation.
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
It's a good list for any Larian employees to pick up. If anyone is scanning the forum they can just pick up Niara's posts and use them as a to do list.

Everyone might already know that the ToB's NPCs were Bioware forum members. Frozen-yakman made it into both IWD2 and ToB. Gromnir Il-Khan still posts on the Obsidian forums.

Funny you should mention Bioware – you’ve probably heard that Anthem has been discontinued and plans for the follow up scrapped, there is talk that Bioware might not be around in a few years if they don’t turn things around and totally nail it with DA4 or the ME sequel. Anthem launched to very mediocre reviews but many players jumped on because Bioware devs promised they’d be active in the forums around how they were building things out and keep the community engaged to get direct feedback on what players wanted. But they didn’t do any of that, it was radio silence… and now look at them.
Funny you should mention Bioware – you’ve probably heard that Anthem has been discontinued and plans for the follow up scrapped, there is talk that Bioware might not be around in a few years if they don’t turn things around and totally nail it with DA4 or the ME sequel. Anthem launched to very mediocre reviews but many players jumped on because Bioware devs promised they’d be active in the forums around how they were building things out and keep the community engaged to get direct feedback on what players wanted. But they didn’t do any of that, it was radio silence… and now look at them.

A lot of key leadership left Bioware over the years, and the remaining leadership clearly let ego take over any practical sense. One really wonders why anyone in Bioware thought Anthem was a good idea at all, if we take the statements that EA had nothing to do with proposing the project at face value.

Which we probably shouldn’t, but even without that, the signs of rampant mismanagement began as far back as DA2. I am sure nobody needs a refresher on what happened there, which was a shame because underneath all the recycled assets, the story and writing was by far the best of all DA games and would still hold up amazingly today. (Meanwhile Inquisition had a cosmic level threat for a villain, but him basically vanishing from the plot after Haven and the sheer incompetence of his underlings made the entire plot rather comical in comparison.)

Either way, I think some of the things said on this forum stem from a fear that Larian might just be a step away from following their path. I myself have been guilty of having these thoughts as they are transitioning into an AAA studio.

Man that is so sad. I'm from Edmonton (well, for awhile) and it was cool to have a good game company there. One of the guys I did Computer Science with even ended up working there.

I still think Kotor was their last great game.
Would love to see a sign of communication by larian. However I doubt we will get one. If they wanted to show any love to the community they would have done at least something at the last panel.

Even if they did nothing but at least talk about the issues.... yet they decided to play dead and continue like everyone is happy. Even better they clapped themselfs on shoulders how awesome they are.

Yet I would still hope they get in touch with their fans again
Originally Posted by Scribe

Man that is so sad. I'm from Edmonton (well, for awhile) and it was cool to have a good game company there. One of the guys I did Computer Science with even ended up working there.

I'm also from Edmonton. I've met the old Bioware crew (back in the day when EB Games first arrived, and BG2 came out, the BioWare team took us store employees to the studio to check things out as a celebration of the grand opening of EB Games and of the game launch. We got a sneak peak of the locked door where they were making Jade Empire at the time).

My best friend works with Zezchuck's brewery company. Doctor Greg Zezchuck left gaming all together and is now a master beer brewer. Fucking love that man. When Dr. Myzuka left after Mass Effect 2, that was when "Bioware" was no longer the same company.
Originally Posted by tsundokugames

I'm also from Edmonton. I've met the old Bioware crew (back in the day when EB Games first arrived, and BG2 came out, the BioWare team took us store employees to the studio to check things out as a celebration of the grand opening of EB Games and of the game launch. We got a sneak peak of the locked door where they were making Jade Empire at the time).

My best friend works with Zezchuck's brewery company. Doctor Greg Zezchuck left gaming all together and is now a master beer brewer. Fucking love that man. When Dr. Myzuka left after Mass Effect 2, that was when "Bioware" was no longer the same company.

Ah very cool!
Well, some time spent with today's "big patch" definitively designates the answer as a STRONG no.
Downloaded, played, uninstalled again.

Nothing has actually changed in any meaningful way to improve the game from previous versions.
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Would love to see a sign of communication by larian. However I doubt we will get one. If they wanted to show any love to the community they would have done at least something at the last panel.

Even if they did nothing but at least talk about the issues.... yet they decided to play dead and continue like everyone is happy. Even better they clapped themselfs on shoulders how awesome they are.

Yet I would still hope they get in touch with their fans again

[humor] Look at the third post on this forum: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=759630

There you go! [/humor]
How many sub-forums that don't even have a proper distinction between each other are we going to have by the end of this EA?

General, Feeedback, Megathread feedback, Gameplay feedback... And guessing where threads about anything are going to start or end seems to be a constant coin toss.

P.S. Noticed now that I've been mentioned in the OP.
Honestly I'd gladly do without any public acknowledgement to indulge our ego and with more actual listening and acting on the suggestions.
Basically the base game systems are DONE. Just minor patches.
Surfaces are there to stay, height advantage, food heals during combat, wizards can still learn Cleric spells, barely no new changes to the UI, etc, etc...
Larian now concentrates on adding content and fixing bugs basically. And bring livestock to their offices.

I'm done with DOS3 and more than happy with playing Baldurs gate 2 again. The king lives on.
Most surfaces are gone tho, the existing ones are acceptable.
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Basically the base game systems are DONE. Just minor patches.
Surfaces are there to stay

The most glaringly overpowered cantrip surfaces are gone. The other larger AoE surfaces have internal logic/are immersive. Not sure how balanced they are though, but any imbalances can be fixed. These are "Larianisms" that are POSITIVE changes as they add interesting tactical options and complexity.

height advantage

Incentivizing tactical positioning is another POSITIVE "Larianism". That said, both height and flanking is clearly over-incentivized and this creates an avalanche of balancing issues. Flanking is a much worse issue from a mechanical standpoint however. The way enemies are unresponsive to flanking, makes it a guarantee. You just need perform the same boring "ritual" over and over again. It makes for bad gameplay that also exposes the turn-based combat (that I like) as a really shitty approximation of combat. Instead, an opponent could be made to pivot to face a single threat, requiring either surprise or two foes threatening in order to gain flank bonus.

Furthermore, flanking is imbalancing in an additional way height bonus is not; in that the enemy AI consistently fails to exploit flanking (while being really good at getting height advantage). Height advantage should be down-tuned significantly while flanking should be down-tuned and a less primitive mechanism implemented.

food heals during combat

Unimmersive implementation that brings needless complexity to an already overcrowded aspect. There are enough healing options in the game in addition to near unlimited resting. Furthermore, it kind of makes the Goodberry spell superfluous. A slow passive regeneration perhaps as part of a Tadpole power would be more immersive, require no micromanagement and not conflict with other healing options.

Wizards can still learn Cleric spells

This is OVERPOWERED and UNBALANCING in the extreme. It's a GIANT screw you to not only Clerics, but to Bards as well. One of the strongest Bard abilities is Magical Secrets obtainable level 10, 14 and 18 (6 lore) which allows them to learn a couple of spells from another class. This is an unlimited variant of that given a class that is arguably the strongest already - with unlimited resting, besides being given lots of magical item love. This is Swen's love child, and it shows.

barely no new changes to the UI

Targeting enemies or friendlies through portraits. Dedicated torch button. Flee button. General UI improvements, character tooltips, main- & profile menu, surface & cloud tooltips, death saving throws, container UI, and notifications. Options interface changes. Multiplayer UI changes. Multiplayer changes enabling you to see equipment, spells, inventory, and character sheets of other players.

etc, etc...

I would refer you to the latest patch notes which is considerably lengthy. Then again, you've clearly made up your mind long ago.

I'm done with DOS3 and more than happy with playing Baldurs gate 2 again. The king lives on.

BG3 is not going to be a D&D simulator, and that is a good thing in my mind. However, clearly Larian has been erring on the side of radical change so far, defaulting to their cheese over more immersive D&D alternatives. Larian has been somewhat responsive though, so I wouldn't rule out positive changes, even significant ones down the line.

Good luck replaying your perfect game over and over again. smile
wizards can still learn Cleric spells

This part at least, has to be a bug...
Originally Posted by Seraphael
However, clearly Larian has been erring on the side of radical change so far, defaulting to their cheese over more immersive D&D alternatives. Larian has been somewhat responsive though, so I wouldn't rule out positive changes, even significant ones down the line.

I hope you are right but it's getting harder for me to believe that this is true. This patch turned up the surfaces and the cheese from a 6 to an 8 and it looks like we're headed towards eleven.

There are some good things in this patch -- some improvements to dialogues and the game has many more books -- but it's cheesier than before.
Originally Posted by Seraphael
However, clearly Larian has been erring on the side of radical change so far, defaulting to their cheese over more immersive D&D alternatives. Larian has been somewhat responsive though, so I wouldn't rule out positive changes, even significant ones down the line.

I hope you are right but it's getting harder for me to believe that this is true. This patch turned up the surfaces and the cheese from a 6 to an 8 and it looks like we're headed towards eleven.

There are some good things in this patch -- some improvements to dialogues and the game has many more books -- but it's cheesier than before.

Consider stuff like height/flanking advantage for instance. I see this issue in connection with the larger issue of RNG in D&D. Some people object to a perceived lack of player agency/find that failures/misses are near untolerable. And an excess of this incentivizes save-scumming - which is objectively poor gameplay. Larian has addressed this issue in numerous ways. But they have yet to implement a DIFFICULTY SETTING, ie. one giving bonus to your rolls, even malus to enemy rolls. This in turn would lessen the need for a significant (advantage) bonus to tactical positioning (height/flank), which is objectively unbalancing on multiple fronts (ie. screwing over the Barbarian and their staple Reckless Attack ability).

On top of that abilities that can affect RNG, ie. the feat Lucky, are yet to be implemented.

That said, I try not to expect too much...only way not to be disappointed.

So, I have had some communication regarding this when I had a related bug report dialogue. Apparently Wizards learning everything, and everybody being able to cast everything from al scrolls is working as intended and deliberate at this stage, but is a thing that they are aware of as a contention, and May be something that they change to bring back into line with 5e.

However, that communication was before the most recent patch, by a fair time frame, and this patch did nothing to change it, so that communication may well now be out of date.
Originally Posted by Niara

So, I have had some communication regarding this when I had a related bug report dialogue. Apparently Wizards learning everything, and everybody being able to cast everything from al scrolls is working as intended and deliberate at this stage, but is a thing that they are aware of as a contention, and May be something that they change to bring back into line with 5e.

However, that communication was before the most recent patch, by a fair time frame, and this patch did nothing to change it, so that communication may well now be out of date.

You have that link handy for formal bug reports?
Originally Posted by Niara

That's sort of disheartening. This is one decision I truly cannot comprehend, in any way, shape or form.

I desperately want to have another play through but can't face fighting the party control mechanics, combat and how the classes don't really feel as distinct as they should.
Sure thing Scribe,

https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3#modal

That one will pop the reporting form that you can make formal bug reports from, as opposed to their general feedback forms, which aren't bug reports.
Thanks, my ticket was already processed (I found the link in the Hotfix 7 thread) and the Wizards learning Cleric spells is known, and should be getting fixed! laugh
Thanks, my ticket was already processed (I found the link in the Hotfix 7 thread) and the Wizards learning Cleric spells is known, and should be getting fixed! laugh
I knew that had to be a bug!
My understanding is that these forums are provided as a courtesy for players to discuss Larian games ( and other things ), not as a means of communicating directly with the developers.

As far as I am aware, no-one in Larian is employed to act as a community interface; although there are announcement threads and moderators, that is not the same as offering a dialog.

I'm certain that the general sentiment from here, steam, reddit etc are monitored, and considered, but that does not mean that action will follow, either "immediately" or "eventually". I doubt that more than 1 in 1000 players actually post to forums, and those that do usually tend towards the fringes of opinion, so moving the game towards one opinion would outrage another.

My own fringe opinion is to prefer a wide array of alternative situation resolutions to engaging in combat, but I would not expect Larian to pay much heed to that, as most players seem to like killing things. I also find "boss fights" to be particularly trite and formulaic, but they must be popular as most games use them.

It is absolutely worth expressing what you like or dislike about this game ( or any other ), and why, since that is the only way developers can understand their audience. But, if your views are not universally shared, the best you can expect is that the developers will give you options and/or some flexibility in the final game ( i.e. at some time over the next 1-2 years ) rather than expecting an immediate reaction.
Originally Posted by etonbears
I'm certain that the general sentiment from here, steam, reddit etc are monitored, and considered, but that does not mean that action will follow,

Which is why communication is so important. Part of the idea of Early Access is more communication with the developer. This includes both maybes, we don't want to say yets, yesses, and nos. Not getting any response at all, however, is falling short of the expectations.
Ah, I love how social platforms expose the need for attention of people. I hope Larian software programmers give us the earliest the possible the full game, who cares if people in this forum (a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of actual players) feel like they don't have the attention they think to deserve.
Well yeah. We are on this forum because unlike the others, we do care.
People are on this forum because they want to communicate with Larian about the game, we want BG3 to become a great game and are trying to be involved in the process and discussion of how DnD5e should be translated to a videogame.
Strange, all those people accusing others of 'attention seeking' who add nothing of importance to the conversation other than simply seeking attention themselves.
Originally Posted by marajango
Strange, all those people accusing others of 'attention seeking' who add nothing of importance to the conversation other than simply seeking attention themselves.

Yeah.

Just as someone interested in forum interactions themselves, I'm finding the rise of "be positive you fucks!" type posts lately. I'm struggling to understand why they are increasing and the motivation behind them.

Originally Posted by Dexai
Which is why communication is so important. Part of the idea of Early Access is more communication with the developer. This includes both maybes, we don't want to say yets, yesses, and nos. Not getting any response at all, however, is falling short of the expectations.

Agreed. Specifically, I would like to have some response to the issues raised in megathreads. Also some response to the excellent essays written by the people named in the original post.
I'm certain that the general sentiment from here, steam, reddit etc are monitored, and considered, but that does not mean that action will follow,

Larian are communicating, you are just not listening, because they are not saying what you want them to.

These forums alone have ~100,000 posts, so Larian are hardly going to be able to address forum posters directly, even assuming they wanted to. The largest topic ( support for RTwP ) is only about 2% of posts, so no single topic has enough interest to claim it is a majority concern.

Each time they put out an update, Larian produce a description, a video, or a livestream ( with optional cows ) that tells you what they are thinking, and what they have been working on. If those communications don't give any definite information - "yes" or "no" - concerning an issue important to you, then that issue falls under "we don't want to say yet".

Really? You think that the <1% of EA players that post their opinions to various forums "care", but the >99% of players that shelled out the same full price for an EA game "don't care"? Perhaps the majority simply took Larian at their word and are giving their feedback through playing the game? Maybe some people that bought the game actually like it?

Originally Posted by CJMPinger
People are on this forum because they want to communicate with Larian about the game, we want BG3 to become a great game and are trying to be involved in the process and discussion of how DnD5e should be translated to a videogame.

Well, Larian did ask for our opinions, so you can surely give them your opinion, including how you think 5e should be implemented. Although, as the 5e rules are not actually very complicated, I'm not sure that Larian have any difficulty understanding them.

Just as someone interested in forum interactions themselves, I'm finding the rise of "be positive you fucks!" type posts lately. I'm struggling to understand why they are increasing and the motivation behind them.

Perhaps in reaction to the significant number of "I've told them what they're doing wrong and they aren't listening" posts? Some ideas seem to be discussed in a neutral manner, but others seem to devolve into self-interest groups trying to shout louder than the others.

At least most people remain polite, most of the time.
Perhaps in reaction to the significant number of "I've told them what they're doing wrong and they aren't listening" posts? Some ideas seem to be discussed in a neutral manner, but others seem to devolve into self-interest groups trying to shout louder than the others.

At least most people remain polite, most of the time.

Glad you responded to those comments. I was going to, but honestly your reply was much more to the point (and probably not near as snarky). There is a difference between giving feedback, and just doing everything in your power to post the most negative crap you can because you have decided you dislike the game. There is a difference between constructive critique, and bashing. Just because some of us posters don't jump on the "the sky is falling, and its Larians fault" bandwagon, does not mean we are positive in all our posts, or fanboys or any other crap. I am just a player, that is trying out EA and reporting small issues on the forum, my largest responsibility is sending in bug reports on crashes etc. I post what I think will make the game better, but I don't expect Larian to pat me on the back, and integrate what I THINK the game should be. Anyways, great post etonbears.

Full agreed. With both statements.

These forums alone have ~100,000 posts, so Larian are hardly going to be able to address forum posters directly, even assuming they wanted to.

Certainly. Though I don't think too many people are asking for that extreme communication.

The largest topic ( support for RTwP ) is only about 2% of posts, so no single topic has enough interest to claim it is a majority concern.

I'm a bit confused with this. Is that a way to dismiss even the most popular requests, as being not that popular ? If so, it is incorrect.

Let's assume there are 100 topics discussed on the forum. Not threads, topics, so all posts on the same topic get counted for their topic. If all the topics were equally popular, there would be about 1% of posts for each topic. If one of these topic is extremely popular, it might get 3%, 5% or 10% of the discussion volume. It we were to label one as a, or the, majority concern, we should look at the ones with a, or the, relative majority, not an absolute majority.

Also, if we were to label a topic a majority concern, we should ensure that the posts on this topic mostly agree. To me, "party controls are cumbersome" is a topic that has both huge volume and broad agreement. (Naturally, I'm not saying Larian should follow precisely the suggestions on a topic just because a large number of players give the same suggestions. As I've said elsewhere, I believe they should evaluate what players experience and what they don't like. )

Larian are communicating, [...] they are not saying what you want them to.

[...]

Each time they put out an update, Larian produce a description, a video, or a livestream ( with optional cows ) that tells you what they are thinking, and what they have been working on. If those communications don't give any definite information - "yes" or "no" - concerning an issue important to you, then that issue falls under "we don't want to say yet".

First, Larian's communication on a patch is mostly a list of what they have been working on, and thus gets added or fixed. I find very little of what they're thinking in it.

Second, yes, what Larian is saying or not saying is precisely the point of dissatisfaction. Larian is providing a non-zero level of communication. Hence why I'm asking for more and better communication. Currently, Larian is "we don't want to say"-ing everything.

Even if they don't want to announce something which they're not sure they could address (e.g. saying "we're looking at ways we could improve party controls, we'll see what can be done with our technology"), they could at least explain what they are thinking on things they don't see themselves changing (say, High-Ground Advantage, the hotbar mixing items and class abilities, the world not being turn-based during a fight ...). As I've argued elsewhere, it would be useful for feedback collection, by reducing the "noise".

ps : I just read this. So the patch notes also don't include all the improvements made. Again, it is communication, not necessarily the best-quality one.

Larian are communicating, you are just not listening, because they are not saying what you want them to.

These forums alone have ~100,000 posts, so Larian are hardly going to be able to address forum posters directly, even assuming they wanted to. The largest topic ( support for RTwP ) is only about 2% of posts, so no single topic has enough interest to claim it is a majority concern.

Avoiding communication is not communication.

Really? You think that the <1% of EA players that post their opinions to various forums "care", but the >99% of players that shelled out the same full price for an EA game "don't care"? Perhaps the majority simply took Larian at their word and are giving their feedback through playing the game? Maybe some people that bought the game actually like it?
[/quote]

And out comes the strawmen. Do understand that the reason I and others like me are on this forum is because we like the game and want to make it better.
This thread is descending into abrasive posts directed at other posters rather than addressing any points being raised.

I will reiterate the abbreviated forum guidelines here; don't be a ****. If you find that you cannot leave a post without becoming insulting or aggressive, then do not post. Walk away. Discussions about a PC game are not contests.
Just saw this post. Some great memories. I miss the old bioware and black isle days. Sad to see them go.

Also after seeing this i just realized how pointless my last post was for reaching out to devs to address some game issues and how to fix some of them.

Sad face
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Discussions are not contests.

fixed it for you wink

We appreciate all you guys do for this board btw, it's an impossible task, but you guys are awesome smile
© Larian Studios forums