Larian Studios
Posted By: wizard0013 Mind Flayer Eyes - 28/03/21 01:37 AM
Mind Flayers are known to have solid white eyes with no pupils; however this isn't the case here. In the game they have black eyes with yellow pupils. WHY!? lol. Not that I'm complaining about it, I am just super curious as to why that's the case.
Posted By: DiscountCanadian Re: Mind Flayer Eyes - 28/03/21 02:53 AM
Mind Flayers do have pupils, but you are right with the rest of the eye generally being white. If you get a close look at the Mind Flayer picture in the 5E Monster Manual (or find the art online), you can make out glowing pupils. It is odd that they would have mostly black eyes, but perhaps this was an artistic decision to differentiate them from normal mind flayers?
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Mind Flayer Eyes - 28/03/21 08:33 AM
Netherese magic I think is somehow involved so I think these Mind flayers are different somehow, but in what way idk.
Does the friendly one in the underdark have the same eyes?
Posted By: wizard0013 Re: Mind Flayer Eyes - 14/05/21 12:32 AM
Omeluum (friendly Mind Flayer) has the same black eyes with orange irises as the rest of them. At least as of Patch 4. Maybe that's a bug? If not, then my question still yearns for an answer.
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Mind Flayer Eyes - 14/05/21 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by wizard0013
Omeluum (friendly Mind Flayer) has the same black eyes with orange irises as the rest of them. At least as of Patch 4. Maybe that's a bug? If not, then my question still yearns for an answer.

Hopefully it gets addressed eventually then cause if he has the same weird eyes then this is a little bit of a break in Illithid design mid edition. Though it isn't the biggest break, and tbh I like the black eyes with glowing pupils cause it looks nice.
© Larian Studios forums